Truck Camper Reviews on RV Insider (157)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Truck Camper RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2020-11-12 2003 Alpenlite Limited View Listings

We bought this camper used in 2006. The former owners took it on a 3 month trip from WA to AK and that was the only trip they took in it. It was like new. We have taken it on so many trips from off road to hookup sites and we love it. It is a short bed and we were thinking about getting a bigger truck and camper. Since Alpenlite is no longer making them we went to look at other campers. After looking at all the new 2017 campers back then we decided to stay with ours. There is so much more storage in ours than the new ones. None of the new ones had a basement and the side compartments were useless. The layout and slide out are great in ours. Unfortunately, we discovered some delamination in June on a trip. Little did we know we had major water damage. Much worse than we thought when the shop got into it. We decided to have the work done to repair it. The lights and window on the front were leaking for probably years and we did not know. We also covered it with a 'waterproof' cover when it was not in use and found out that acts like a wick. Lesson learned. It is still in the shop waiting for decals from CA. We are not having the front window put back in and they put leakproof LED running lights all around Can't wait to get it back. It will be like new!
- AJ, Washington

2020-11-12 2006 Bigfoot RV 2500 25C10.6 View Listings

We owned this camper for 11 years and used it all over the western USA and Canada. Purchased it in Alaska when our new Airstream trailer self destructed on the AlCan Hwy and drove it home to AZ. We would still have it but, the only draw back, is that it high off the ground and we are in our late 70's and worried about falling, coming close a few times. I would highly recommend this camper to anyone. We had virtually no trouble with this camper in the 11 years we owned it. The new owners were amazed at the fact that it looked brand new in and out. The factory was always helpful with any questions we had or if we needed a part from them. Not a thing bad to say about this camper. Don't think that many people can say that about an RV! Buy one and have some great adventures with it, we certainly did! You won't regret it.
- lin paul, Arizona

2020-11-11 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I've owned two other truck campers from Lance and this beats both of them hands down. Livability in the AF 1140 can't be beat. We're a family of four with an 80 lb golden retriever and there is plenty of room for all of us. Holding tanks and fresh water are plenty for a week stay.
- Gregory, Virginia

2020-11-06 2020 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-8801 View Listings

Although I have been unable to use this unit it is very light for the amount of space provided. Quality of workmanship is top notch. Will work well on any modern 3/4 ton pickup on up. Solar panels provide ample dry camping time.
- Donald Ausmus, Texas

2020-11-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

Bought a 2020 811 truck camper based on what I’d heard and read about the Arctic Fox brand of RV’s. My brother also owned a 2012 version of the same camper and had nothing but good things to say. Oh how times change. I’ve had multiple problems with my 811 and thus far my experiences with Northwood customer service have been less than stellar. They have either referred me to an appliance manufacturer for resolution of a problem, or completely neglected to get back to me, or have not followed through with commitments made over the phone. The problems: Fridge runs constantly on gas or electric; a large loom of wires was draped unsupported over a water supply hose coming out of the pressure-demand pump, and the dynamic loading from traveling weakened the fitting. The fitting broke while the pump was switched on but no water was flowing, and the release of pressure caused the pump to kick on and water poured out of the broken fitting and into the basement. The dining room table trim is falling off from the perimeter of the table, and the weather sealing throughout is horrible. Opening the hampers on either side of the bed in cold weather is like opening a walk-in freezer, and donning clothes that were stored in them is seemingly like putting on clothes that were stored in an igloo. Using the USB ports on either side of the bed results in the ports annunciations a high-pitched whine that is nearly impossible to sleep through. Insulation of various exterior compartments is almost non-existent, even though this unit is advertised as a “4-season” RV. Sealing of the rear exterior compartments is ineffective, causing water and dirt to accumulate inside them. Compartment doors and hinges are so flimsy that they sag badly when opened, and locks are cheap. Considering the price charged for this camper none of these problems should exist. Northwood charges a premium for their offerings, although given the current trend of inferior materials and workmanship quality they won’t be doing that for long. I foresee them losing significant market share as a result of their profit-only business strategy, whilst neglecting quality workmanship and materials. It’s evident that even the (historically) better manufacturers have elected to provide hugely inferior products and workmanship in the interests of cost reduction, while maintaining high retail pricing to maximize earnings. I had initially planned on stepping up to an AF 5th wheel eventually, but I won’t be spending another penny on another AF unless they undertake a major turnaround over the next few years.
- Tom, Washington

2020-10-25 2018 Lance Longbed 1062 View Listings

This is the most versatile Camper you can own. It can fit in a parking space along a street in a big city or you can 4x4 into a very remote place in the mountains. It has all of the amenities of a large motor home yet the footprint of a camper van. Four adults can move around comfortably and relax after a day of skiing playing cards and there is plenty of water for showers and living life. This is the best camper one could ever own.
- Aaron Rodolph, Wyoming

2020-10-03 2016 Palomino Backpack Edition Soft Side SS-1251 View Listings

Screens have deterriated causing rips through out screen, cupboards not anchored to ceiling properly, click lock on drawers do not work causing drawers to open when traveling After 1 yr warranty you are on your own. On a positive note very convenient for parking and queen size bed is a plus.
- Pauline Ryan, Ontario

2020-09-26 2017 Adventurer Adventurer 910DB View Listings

I bought this Camper new and have enjoyed so many aspects of it. I sent an email to the manufacturer and got a quick reply from the production manager. He was very helpful. I have not had any issues with it and except for buying a fifth wheel I would keep it.
- john griffith, Washington

2020-09-25 2017 ALP Eagle Cap 1160 View Listings

We loved this camper. Lots of space and loved the decor but decided we wanted to go bigger. Has everything you need to stay off grid if that's desired. Very well made and maintained. Lots of upgrades.
- Pam Fosburgh, Arizona

2020-09-17 2011 Lance Longbed 950S View Listings

This is the one and only truck camper I have owned. Prior to this rig, I owned 3 travel trailers...like most owners each one bigger and better than the previous. The Lance camper is by far the best built and most reliable. I had one electrical issue...trailer lights. This ended up being an issue with my truck fuse box combined with the plug extension on the super truss receiver extension. The only knock I have is that the generator is not large enough to run the microwave and air conditioner at the same time. This is minor as my previous 3 had the same issue until I upgraded and ran two Honda EU Generators simultaneously. It is of the age when all the vents should be changed. That was on my list for the upcoming year, but I won't be able to get that done prior to selling. I had the power jacks and the electrical system gone though prior to listing by PC Mechanical in Santa Maria. This camper was used for both horse shows and Motorcycle trips...probably about 15 to 18 times a year. The previous owner had taken it on the Great Alaska Highway...there are stickers on the back. It has seen plenty of desert time as well.
- Derek Hansen, California

2020-09-05 2005 Four Wheel Four Wheel Hawk View Listings

excellent basic offroad camper. Dry warm BR, Kitchen, heater, fridge, stove, sink but no bath. Well built aluminum welded frame. If your truck fits between those obstacles so does this camper. Small but comfortable for 2 in the wilderness.
- Ed Ridenour , Nevada

2020-09-05 2016 ALP Eagle Cap 1160 View Listings

This floorplan offers a huge amount of living space in a quality package. Two people can be VERY comfy. Dry bath is perfect size for the floorplan. We have theatre seating in place of the couch and we highly recommend this upgrade. LOTS of interior storage (kitchen storage is better than many Class A motorhomes!). Queen mattress in sleeping area and plenty of TV's for watching. AC is more than adequate to keep you cool in the hottest of days (100+ degrees outside but easily maintained 70 degrees inside). Furnace is very efficient. Camped all last winter (2 weekends a month) in eastern and central Virginia and used less than 30lbs of propane from October through April. Quality built and fairly easy to haul. A one-ton or larger truck is a must, as this camper weighs in at almost 5k lbs dry. Well worth it, though, when you consider the comfort and convenience factors. Highly recommend both this manufacturer and this floorplan.
- John Bennett, Virginia

2020-08-27 2017 Adventurer Manufacturing Eagle Cap 1165 View Listings

We replaced our Excel 5th wheel with this unit because we are getting older and having it actually on the truck made it easier to drive. The unit, when the 3 slides are out, is unbelievably roomy. It has everything we had in the 5th wheel: full kitchen (we love to cook), dry enclosed bath, 2 TVs, all season climate control, queen bed and plenty of storage space. The quality is great, no major repairs or issues. We are sad to have to sell it, but my husband's vision has deteriorated and he can no longer drive it.
- Donald Kremer, Missouri

2020-08-26 2011 Palomino Bronco 1500 View Listings

Great camper. Read some good and bad reviews before i bought. Anyone that wrote a bad review probably was use to hotel camping and probably not too comfortable outside of the city. Its a camper, s**t breaks, but its easy to fix and its great to haul the family around in. Had a bronco for 5 years and just loved it.
- Jim, Alberta

2020-08-16 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-550 View Listings

Just picked up our 2021 SS550. Not super impressed as this year the overhead cabinets are literally “canvas duffel bags” and worthless. They have removed lots of the storage the older models had (such as below the countertop and under the bed. The dinette table is so flimsy we have already ordered a better “foot for it” and then they are so worried about weight yet they have an additional board which is for the “dinette bed” that there is no place to store and have to lug around. With just a tad bit of thought they could have set up the dinette so that the table could be used for the dinette bed. But nope too easy to go the cheap route in construction but not price. You may ask why we bought it? Can’t find a older used one and are on a time line due to health issues. If ya have time wouldn’t buy it look at their previous years models much better layout and storage. Oh and quality apparently isn’t in their vocabulary just looking to turn out quick to build and super light weight to the point of stupid. Has so much potential and they went the cheap easy route. Some redeeming features are the electric roof jacks hand, rail at door Instant hot water heater and 3 way fridge beyond that really a bummer. Not sure why they went this route as is sad.
- Ann Etcheverry , Wyoming

2020-08-01 2016 Lance Lance 650 View Listings

Screws keep falling out. After one 3 day trip when I removed the camper from my truck I found 6 screws had fallen out of the base of the camper. After only five trips the screws to the bathroom door all fell out leaving the door on the floor. Gas mode on refrigerator does not work. Battery only lasted one year. Kitchen window fails to stay open. This was not a cheap purchase, for what this unit cost it should have been something of quality instead of junk. Really poor workmanship and quality control.
- alan novey, Utah

2020-07-30 2012 Northwood Arctic Fox 992 View Listings

D & D RV Center 2300 East Missoula Ave Helena, Montana 59601 Manager: A year ago, while camping in Montana, we noticed a bearing/nut from underneath our camper slide. It was just lying on the camper floor. Since we had purchased the Artic Fox camper from you – we took pictures of the bearing/nut assembly, sent them to you, and asked for advice. You said you were busy - about 4 weeks out for service - not to use the camper slide and make an appointment for repair. Since we do not live in the area; about 1,000 miles away, we asked about this summer. You said call 4-6 weeks prior to coming out and make an appointment for repair. This past June, I called for an appointment. I could not speak to the Service Manager, Dan, as he was out but to send pictures to D & D with attention to Dan. The appointment was made for July 28 at 8:00 a.m. We were at your business before 8:00 on the 28th, were checked in. At 11:30 I received a text from a service person saying that not only one roller bearing was out but 3 of the 4 were out and what would I like to do. After calling and asking for an estimate of time to fix, I received another text at noon saying I would need to schedule an appointment and the earliest date was August 24. A huge disappointment. This is what we were trying to avoid. The pre-scheduling that we did, the pictures of the problem, and letting you know what to expect was to avoid another diagnosis of the roller bearing problem. It was to get it fixed! You charged me for 2 ½ hours of shop time ($297), as well as wasting our time, to tell me what you originally said – the slide needed to be pulled out to get at the roller bearings. We do not live in the area. We purchased the camper from you because you (Helena) and Billings are the farthest east Artic Fox campers are sold. We are happy with the camper but disappointed in your service. A selling point was made at the time of the purchase of your #1 service. An option of leaving the camper with you – again we live about 1,000 miles away – is not an option. Another option of trying to schedule an appointment for next summer during a camping trip to get the repair done; will not happen either. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We will explore the Billings dealership. Maybe the question I should ask is, “What should I have done differently to make this work?” Maybe the question you should ask is, “What could D & D have done differently to make this work?” Steve Anderson
- Steve Anderson, South Dakota

2020-07-26 2005 Host Yukon 11.5SS View Listings

I have had this camper for about4 years. I like the fact that I can open the back wall to make a queen size bed. me to sleep 5-6 people in a truck camper. The added large water tank is a plus(60) gal.I have been pleased so far seem to have ample storage space.This is my first truck camper and i am pleased with it so far
- mrmeffd, Massachusetts

2020-07-26 2021 Travel Lite Peak 9 770 View Listings

ok just bought a truck camper 2021 travel lite 770 peak 9.love it new light interior white with neat red lighting .nice fiberglass front nose front end and sides .new sharp grey color .with microwave ,ac,electric jacks,shower love it .very sharp light weight travel lite did some restructuring and doing a great job check.out there new hot looking line up.
- Terrylerch, Pennsylvania

2020-07-25 2011 Pastime Pastime 840LT View Listings

We have had no issues with this camper. It is very comfortable and reliable. Small enough to go anywhere. Fully self-contained so it is perfect for a long weekend of dry camping. Plenty of storage for longer trips. We have had several trips to the lake and camping.
- Cynthia Moody, California

2020-07-09 2018 Lance Lance 1172 View Listings

I bought my camper off of Princess Craft RV. First my midi heki skylight dome broke made by dometic. I found out dometic quit making them so I have to purchase a new complete midi heki instead of just a dome. Now I had a Atwood Jack go out and I found out they are no longer made so instead of bearings I have to purchase a new jack. Princess Craft RV wold me a extended warranty that won’t cover the Jack only the parts that I can’t get and since the repair person has to make two trips to take the Jack off and another trip to put the Jack on than its 3 times the cost of my deductible. Lance should have to cover these jacks and Princess Craft should pay the labor. Mastertech extended warranty needs to go out of business.
- Ricky Wilhelm, Oklahoma

2020-07-07 2020 Palomino Real-Lite SS-1600 View Listings

My wife and I like the overall design, but it is very short on storage, and the quality control was pretty bad. There are only 2 tiny "cabinets" inside that are little more than cubby holes. Palomino/Real lite should install a ceiling mounted rail system that can accept a variety of baskets and other storage containers (plus, this gets more accessory sales for them and the dealer). Quality control issues: - There's a huge gap where the exterior molding wraps down across the back roof on one side - I'll be sealing it to match the other side shortly. - We got the Badlands package and the battery was wired reverse (5 minutes with a volt meter and I found this)into the solar charge controller, and... - ...the 2nd battery isn't internally wired into the electrical system (I'll be tracking that one down shortly). - The Thule roof rack wasn't assembled correctly, with one of the pilings not connected properly. - Numerous screws and nuts are in at steep angles, or not all the way in, leaving part of the screw holes exposed to the elements. - One of the roof raising jacks was incorrectly adjusted so that at full height, the right front of the roof was 3-4 inches lower than the other side and the canvas wasn't taught. I adjusted the cut off switch to its maximum height and now it works. Sort of... First, the jack runs slower than all the other jacks, so falls behind and has to run much longer than the others to fully elevate the roof. Second, the jack stops short of fully extended and I have to lightly push outward on the piston to get it to go up to the full height (I can hear the switch click on when I push on the piston). - The interior wiring that runs along the edge of the ceiling isn't consistently anchored, so big loops hang down and show behind the short cosmetic curtain rimming the ceiling, which... -... looks like it was installed by someone who had too much to drink - it varies from 3 inches, to ~6 inches out from the side wall. These are just the things we've found over 5 nights of camping and are not confidence inspiring. This could be a great little camper if Palomino/Real Lite would just put maybe a hour more labor and QC into it. As it sits, the unit feels like it was slapped together and sent out the door as quickly as possible with little pride in workmanship. I'd strongly advise buyers to carefully inspect their individual unit top to bottom before purchasing. On the plus side, it's pretty comfortable for 2 and a medium size dog, and the mattress is amazingly good. It also fits our diesel Chevy Colorado long bed (6') very well, and with a set of 1500lb Sumo springs, the truck is level and drives great. (We get ~25mpg on the Interstate drafting big rigs at 68mph.) Knowing what we know, I'm not sure we'd buy a Palomino-built product again, and certainly not this individual unit. Still, we'll give this unit a go for while.
- J.W., Montana

2020-07-03 2017 Lance Lance 975 View Listings

We've owned the Lance 975 for three years, and it is a very solid camper. So much is packed in a small space, which gave us the freedom to go anywhere with all of the same conveniences as a larger rig. Mounted to a 4X4 1-ton, pickup, we were able to slip back in the remote wilderness where no one else could go. Onboard generator and solar power with large holding tanks allowed us to boondock for days at a time. Lance did it right with this model. We love the dry bath and the slideout dinette, which left plenty of room for the kitchen prep area. There is tons of onboard storage from closets and drawers and shelving to the unique pull-out pantry. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for ultimate freedom.
- David Weinberg, Maryland

2020-06-19 2018 Travel Lite Extended Stay 840SBRX View Listings

I used to sell the Travel Lite Truck campers. Unfortunately the Travel Lite truck campers are built quite shoddily. We have had several campers delivered to us recently that we had to send back due to poor workmanship. Years ago, they were pretty nice, but now, with front end profit being the primary driver, the Travel Lite Truck campers lack in quality, value, and attention to detail. So SAD! - Mike Prosser
- Mike Prosser, Wisconsin