Truck Camper Reviews on RV Insider (175)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Truck Camper RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2021-05-09 2018 Adventurer Adventurer 80GS View Listings

Next interior quality and style. Fiberglass exterior is durable and atractive. Easy to haul, light weight construction. Features are convenient and well laid out. Bed is comfortable and spacious. All around great value.
- Scott Colbert, Idaho

2021-05-04 2018 Travel Lite Extended Stay 840SBRX View Listings

I purchased my 2018 Travel Lite 2018 840SBRX in May 2018 from Dynasty RV in Bunker Hill , Indiana . I have owned at least 6 different truck campers . At least 3 popups and 3 hardside models . All were a different brand . Good campers but I like my Travel Lite better. Everything from windows to cabinets ,floors , lighter weight, bathroom layout , fit and finish ,all better. What I don,t like ; small 5 gal. black water tank,poor mattress ,It will only fit a 6.5 ft. bed and you have to remove the tail gate or it will hit the black water tank . I have never had my camper back to a dealer because of distance and logistics . For the most part everything has worked as it should except the radio which the manufacturer replaced and I installed .It is a great camper and my wife and I lived in our's 6 months during the summer of 2019 while we built our cabin in Alaska . We haul our camper on a 2013 Ford F150 4x4 extended cab with Timbren Booster rubber bump stop load stabilizers . It handles beautifully but be advised that Travel Lite recommends you haul it on a 3/4 ton truck . So after 3 years I am for the most part a happy camper and recommend this camper.
- Frank Whaley, Tennessee

2021-04-12 2021 Travel Lite Rayzr FB View Listings

No seal or caulking around hole in the wall, pan under a.c.to catch rain not wide enough,flaps don't fit tight against sides,air for rear condenser comes in thru 1 inch gap above a.c.and is right above where hot air is coming out,nothing to keep bugs out, holes in the wall between a.c.and overhead compartment so bugs can get in living quarters. If you have a Rayzr that doesn't have a roof vent above a.c. look behind refrigerator to see if wall between a.c.and refrigerator has holes, if so you can get carbon monoxide in camper when on propane.See videos on YT. The dealer falsely advertised this camper having a fiberglass roof and fully insulated.unfortunately I bought online and had shipped.
- Steve Machen, Arkansas

2021-03-22 2020 Palomino Rogue EA1 View Listings

I have the Badlands model which includes a solar panel. I boondocked for 12 days last fall in Yellowstone. Never lost battery power. The 20,000 BTU furnace kept the camper warm even when the night temps were in the teens. The 3way refrigerator worked great, the freezer kept items frozen for 12 days using propane. Only used 3 gallons of propane for the trip, and I was not stingy with it. Looking forward to the next adventure.
- Christy Burch, Colorado

2021-03-15 2019 Northwood Wolf Creek 850 View Listings

Overall really great camper. Bought new and had minimal defects but working with Northwood for the warranty work was super easy. Lots of counter space for the kitchen, the dinette was moderately comfortable but its gets a little cramped with the table sticking so far out (wish you could move the table to more places). Really enjoyed this camper, fits perfectly on 3/4 ton truck
- Zackary, California

2021-03-10 2019 Northwood Manufacturing Artic Fox 990 View Listings

This was a perfect fit for a post-divorce situation. The truck camper with box trailer combo makes for a sustainable platform that is fit for RV park or on the beach. I used an 8x10 box Toy Hauler trailer for a box my Harley, freezer, workbench, and oversized patio furniture and off-season clothes. The combo was perfect for keeping dirt and sand out of the living and cooking space. The floor plan was great for a home office situation. The gas stove was effective, but I found an instapot with an air fryer lid solved all bachelor cooking needs. Having the chest freezer in the trailer made space for daily needs in the onboard fridge/freezer. The Artic Fox 990 was comfortable in the sub zero temps of Colorado and the summer heat of Phoenix. The wet bathroom was a real plus! It made for easy clean-up and shaving was a breeze. I installed a bidet that really conserved water and reduced toliet paper needs. The medicine cabinet was adequate, but it was simple to hang simple storage nettings and Command Strip style caddies under the shower controls. 6 gallons of hot water was ample for two people, especially since the bidet help keep up with daily hygene requirements.
- allen, Arizona

2021-02-27 2021 Travel Lite Super Lite 770RSL View Listings

I am interested in this truck camper. I have an F150 Long bed. Will it fit in my truck. If so I am offering you 22,000 cash. Live in Las Vegas. That’s because there’s so many other added charges . My name is Jim please call me at 702-575-4966
- James Raftery, Nevada

2021-02-09 2007 Northstar Northstar TS1000 View Listings

I like my Northstar camper, it's the customer service that is non existent and they never have parts if you need them. I was told by Billy, that's just the way it is. Be aware, you are on your own with Northstar.
- Joseph Packer, Arizona

2021-02-01 2018 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-2901 View Listings

My husband and I purchased a 2018 Forest Pines, Palomino truck camper. It was a new camper we bought in 2019. When my husband went to pick up the camper, he noticed some RV antifreeze on the floor. When asking what it was from, he was told they must have spilled some when winterizing it. My husband brought it home and filled it with water. After about an hour he checked it only to find water covering the floor and dripping outside. We cleaned it up and dried it out. We were given a new water tank since the attachment was cracked. We were told the camper was supposed to come with a one year manufacturers warranty. We took it camping one season. After three times camping, we felt the soft spots in the floor. We have tried to contact Forest Pines and Palomino immediately and it’s now February 2021 and we are still trying to get it fixed. We’re paying for it but can’t use it. Palomino hasn’t returned a phone call or message yet. We are extremely dissatisfied customers. We will never buy from this company again and we do not recommend it to anyone. Terrible customer service.
- Laura Sneller, Wisconsin

2021-01-30 1975 Bell Bell Truck Camper View Listings

This camper is absolutely amazing. You have the capability to live entirely off-grid, every amenity necessary to remain self-contained, and on top of that - beautiful features that truly make this camper a work of art. The live edge countertops and hand-painted landscape fold-down table are the icing on the cake. This is perfect for anyone on a budget interested in van life. The beauty of a truck camper vs a van is this: if you experience a breakdown, you can move your camper to another vehicle. You are not without lodging. If you experience a breakdown in a van, you may not be quite as lucky! I lived in this camper while working remotely and adventuring (primarily rock climbing) full-time. I could cook at my leisure, I had running water, and a warm (or cool - depending on the weather) place to retreat when the temperatures outside weren't ideal. This has been the most incredible experience, and I'm so, so sad to let this camper go. I truly hope it goes to the right new owner with an adventurous soul just like myself :)
- Lydia, Nevada

2021-01-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 View Listings

Previously had an older Skyline Weekender camper that was getting to old to fix. Frame issues, leaks etc. So I started looking at another used rig but didn't find anything that was exactly what I wanted. I then started seriously looking at most of the top brands new models and narrowed it down to four different manufacturers. Northern Lite, Bigfoot, Adventurer, and Arctic Fox. So I sent out some exploratory e-mails to a few different RV dealers to see what was available. That same evening , I think a Sunday no less I received a response from the GM at Apache Camping Center in Portland and he said that he had all four of my choices on his lot available to view side by side. This was May of 2018. A week later the wife and I flew up from San Diego and had an appointment for the following morning. So we show up the next day and meet with the GM and discuss what were looking for and he assigned one of their knowledge salesmen to walk us through the different campers and would answer any questions we had. Wasn't sure about a slide-out or not but was open to the idea. Looking at the Adventurer it looked nice but it had a slide-out on the drivers side and that was a deal breaker. Wouldn't be able to park on side of street and extend side as it would be in into traffic, Strike 1. Looked at a Bigfoot they had and it was nice but the facing dinette was small on one side so no way four people could sit side by side, Strike 2. Next up was the Northern lite and they had a couple different models. No slide which was ok and I liked the back porch area and the fit and finish was top notch but I didn't care for the large windows or the way they functioned. Not my cup of tea. So strike 3. Last but not least was the Arctic fox models 811,865, and the 990. Unfortunately the wife and I went into the 990 first and that was all she rote. With the slide out extended and the arched ceiling there was so much more room inside it wasn't funny. The dinette seats were large and the same sizes. The windows (double pane) were tinted and functioned like I wanted. The skylights were a bonus in the main salon and bathroom. But one of the biggest option it had that was available was ordering just the 3 burner stove top and having 2 large drawers below where the oven would of been to store all the cooking pots pans etc. Decided on the Convection / Microwave combo and a few other items and went inside to make the deal. So after deciding on everything we wanted and being told it would be ready for pick-up in 5 weeks we left a deposit to start the build and agreed to come back when it was ready. About 5 weeks exactly the wife and I drove up to pick it up ( took two days) and showed up when they opened and spent a bit of time inspecting to make sure all was ok and then went in to sign papers and pay the remaining balance and then went outside and loaded up on my truck. Luckily the truck was already set up with Forklift tie-downs, Front and Rear BR Sway bars, Airlift 5000 airbags and 1 ton rear springs and this is on a 2004 Ford F250 supercab. It took us 4 days to get back home taking our time and seeing some friends along the way. This past year I sold the 04' F250 and got a 19' F350 CCSRW with all the same mods that my 3/4t had and couldn't be happier. Been down to Baja a number of times as well as AZ, NM and all around Cali. Purchased a 2000k propane/gas generator that fits in the Gen storage area ( cost $600 instead of 4k from the dealer ) and added 510w of solar on the roof this thing is pretty self sufficient when going off grid. Was planning to do the Pacific Northwest this past year but that got nixed. Hopefully this year will be better. LOVE THE CAMPER and the dealer was great and we got a great deal. Only issue I have had was the check valve in the fresh water pump was sticking so Northwood sent me a new one for free and I installed it took all of an hour. Fixed the check valve and now have a spare.
- Mike Green, California

2021-01-23 2017 Travel Lite Travel Lite 960RX View Listings

Slide in camper was delivered without many of the options that were ordered AND PAID FOR. Never refunded the difference for the "missing" options. Did not re-enforce the structure to handle dually brackets again originally ordered with. Made me pay for the dually brackets out of pocket. 1 year in the camper is showing definite signs that something is wrong with the camper stays(jacks) Manufacture is not willing to arrange for another shop to do the work and the camper has to be driven 650 miles with only 3 working mounting points. Manufacturer calls me 6 weeks later to tell me the camper is done. When I arrive on site (after driving 650 miles) the camper is sitting there crooked with one of the stays(jacks) pulled out of the side of the camper. I am forced to leave the camper on site and drive back home. drove back out there another 6 weeks later to pick up the camper only to be told that they just didn't address some of the items the camper was being brought back for warranty service for. (bad locks, electric heater element never installed etc) Got the camper all ready to go for a trip today and found a nasty little surprise they left for me. Out of negligence or malice I'm not sure... They wired a 12v receptacle backwards blowing out a chromecast and TV. Incredibly infuriating to work with. No accountability and an overall marginal product. Spend your money elsewhere.
- Marc Richardson, Maryland

2021-01-13 2016 Lance Shortbed 855S View Listings

Over the last 40 years we've owned all the different types of RV's, new and used. This Lance is our 2nd truck camper and by far the best fit for our downsizing, yet very active, diverse lifestyle of trips, vacation camping, boondocking, and remote work locations. I'm a guy who cares more about the construction quality then the fluffy, shiny stuff. Afterall, what good is a bunch of shiny fluff if there is nothing strong enough to hold it all up? Lance impressed me with their Azdel wall/roof construction... NO exterior WOOD to absorb moisture! The factory was also very supportive when I contacted them to find the solar prep wiring. They not only told me exactly where it was, they sent me detailed CAD drawings of the wiring system. After 4 years of use, it still looks, smells and feels new!
- SemperFi-Vet, Minnesota

2021-01-11 2016 Adventurer Adventurer 116DS View Listings

We have the 116 DS and love it! But buyer be aware.There are several issues; #1,the refrigerator does not work when the outside temperature climbs over 88 degrees, I've taken it in under warranty 5 times and apparently can't be rectified. I even had a RV refrigeration only Specialist work on it, I believe this is why Adventurer no longer makes this model. #2 This is one tall camper when sitting on a 4x4 dually, a lot of climbing stairs.#3 The batteries are junk,I replaced them with it lithium batteries ($1,800) and a solar panel and now I never need the generator except for the microwave
- Gary, Arizona

2021-01-06 2020 Travel Lite Rayzr FB View Listings

I bought a new truck camper from highway 34 RV in November 2020, paying $14,368. I have numerous issues and the dealer and company are both worthless. Ryan, CEO of travel lite called me a dick and hung up on me when I confronted him about the language. Jamie the CFO lied about Ryan's behavior. This company is a joke.
- Jon Hopkins, Pennsylvania

2020-12-27 2006 Lance Lance 851 Max View Listings

We have owned our Lance since new. Using a truck camper has the versatility to tow or remove and have a standard vehicle to service rather than an expensive RV. This unit has superior quality and design. The slide includes the fridge and dinette leaving the entire size of the trucks bed as floor space. The forward restroom is also a great space saver. As with all standard RV the roof is the issue. A new one was required and the skylight was closed to keep less opening for future leaks. Otherwise no problems. This is the best unit we have seen to date and compared to others there's no comparison.
- Timothy, California

2020-12-05 2013 ATC Bobcat Bobcat View Listings

I was completely dissatisfied with how ATC treats it's customers. I bought a used camper from the auction, and customer service was very disrespectful for me. I understand that I didn't pay a penny to ATC per se. However does I mean that the customer should be left without support? Initially, ATC answered my questions (some of them incorrectly). When I emailed them then, they just stopped responding. When I called, in a very rude tone their answers were like "yes", "no" etc. E. g. literally : "What do you need?!" For me not responding to email is the same if at the street I ask a question in person and the respondent just turns his back and goes away. Especially if it is business-customer relationship. I said, I can call back when you are not so busy. ATC responded: "we are always busy!" By way of comparison, I bought a used Toyota. I have never paid money directly to the Toyota factory or even dealer. Despite that, Toyota resolved absolutely all of my questions when I contacted their headquarters. So now I recommend this car make to anybody I know. For the quality of the camper, they should improve their manual because it becomes a real safety issue. They literally say: "you can place on the roof anything you want". Well, previous owner put 3 solar panels on the roof and it was very difficult for me to lift it up. Their manual is just 6 PDF couple-page files, with no pictures, nothing. FWC has a 100 page manual. I used FWC manual to setup the camper, I called FWC and they helped me a lot. Later I visited FWC factory and they told me that founder of ATC long time ago worked for FWC. Then he just copied and pasted their technology. That's why FWC are constantly improving their technology while ATC just keep producing the same. Of course, copying is much easier than inventing new. I wouldn't trust to positive customer reviews about these campers. Most of them are at "wanderthewest" website forum, and ATC placed a link to reviews at this forum at their own website. However, this forum blocks negative customer reviews about ATC (which was my case).
- Oleg, New Jersey

2020-12-01 2021 Travel Lite Travel Lite 800X View Listings

Beautifully appointed inside and out. Light enough to carry on my Ram 1500 short bed. Three cheers for the folks at the factory in Indiana who did a structural repair that was due to the camper not being mounted quite right on my truck. They didn’t have time, but squeezed me in anyway and went the extra mile with the repair. They’re kind, friendly folk out there!
- Bob, Colorado

2020-11-12 2003 Alpenlite Limited View Listings

We bought this camper used in 2006. The former owners took it on a 3 month trip from WA to AK and that was the only trip they took in it. It was like new. We have taken it on so many trips from off road to hookup sites and we love it. It is a short bed and we were thinking about getting a bigger truck and camper. Since Alpenlite is no longer making them we went to look at other campers. After looking at all the new 2017 campers back then we decided to stay with ours. There is so much more storage in ours than the new ones. None of the new ones had a basement and the side compartments were useless. The layout and slide out are great in ours. Unfortunately, we discovered some delamination in June on a trip. Little did we know we had major water damage. Much worse than we thought when the shop got into it. We decided to have the work done to repair it. The lights and window on the front were leaking for probably years and we did not know. We also covered it with a 'waterproof' cover when it was not in use and found out that acts like a wick. Lesson learned. It is still in the shop waiting for decals from CA. We are not having the front window put back in and they put leakproof LED running lights all around Can't wait to get it back. It will be like new!
- AJ, Washington

2020-11-12 2006 Bigfoot RV 2500 25C10.6 View Listings

We owned this camper for 11 years and used it all over the western USA and Canada. Purchased it in Alaska when our new Airstream trailer self destructed on the AlCan Hwy and drove it home to AZ. We would still have it but, the only draw back, is that it high off the ground and we are in our late 70's and worried about falling, coming close a few times. I would highly recommend this camper to anyone. We had virtually no trouble with this camper in the 11 years we owned it. The new owners were amazed at the fact that it looked brand new in and out. The factory was always helpful with any questions we had or if we needed a part from them. Not a thing bad to say about this camper. Don't think that many people can say that about an RV! Buy one and have some great adventures with it, we certainly did! You won't regret it.
- lin paul, Arizona

2020-11-11 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I've owned two other truck campers from Lance and this beats both of them hands down. Livability in the AF 1140 can't be beat. We're a family of four with an 80 lb golden retriever and there is plenty of room for all of us. Holding tanks and fresh water are plenty for a week stay.
- Gregory, Virginia

2020-11-06 2020 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-8801 View Listings

Although I have been unable to use this unit it is very light for the amount of space provided. Quality of workmanship is top notch. Will work well on any modern 3/4 ton pickup on up. Solar panels provide ample dry camping time.
- Donald Ausmus, Texas

2020-11-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

Bought a 2020 811 truck camper based on what I’d heard and read about the Arctic Fox brand of RV’s. My brother also owned a 2012 version of the same camper and had nothing but good things to say. Oh how times change. I’ve had multiple problems with my 811 and thus far my experiences with Northwood customer service have been less than stellar. They have either referred me to an appliance manufacturer for resolution of a problem, or completely neglected to get back to me, or have not followed through with commitments made over the phone. The problems: Fridge runs constantly on gas or electric; a large loom of wires was draped unsupported over a water supply hose coming out of the pressure-demand pump, and the dynamic loading from traveling weakened the fitting. The fitting broke while the pump was switched on but no water was flowing, and the release of pressure caused the pump to kick on and water poured out of the broken fitting and into the basement. The dining room table trim is falling off from the perimeter of the table, and the weather sealing throughout is horrible. Opening the hampers on either side of the bed in cold weather is like opening a walk-in freezer, and donning clothes that were stored in them is seemingly like putting on clothes that were stored in an igloo. Using the USB ports on either side of the bed results in the ports annunciations a high-pitched whine that is nearly impossible to sleep through. Insulation of various exterior compartments is almost non-existent, even though this unit is advertised as a “4-season” RV. Sealing of the rear exterior compartments is ineffective, causing water and dirt to accumulate inside them. Compartment doors and hinges are so flimsy that they sag badly when opened, and locks are cheap. Considering the price charged for this camper none of these problems should exist. Northwood charges a premium for their offerings, although given the current trend of inferior materials and workmanship quality they won’t be doing that for long. I foresee them losing significant market share as a result of their profit-only business strategy, whilst neglecting quality workmanship and materials. It’s evident that even the (historically) better manufacturers have elected to provide hugely inferior products and workmanship in the interests of cost reduction, while maintaining high retail pricing to maximize earnings. I had initially planned on stepping up to an AF 5th wheel eventually, but I won’t be spending another penny on another AF unless they undertake a major turnaround over the next few years.
- Tom, Washington

2020-10-25 2018 Lance Longbed 1062 View Listings

This is the most versatile Camper you can own. It can fit in a parking space along a street in a big city or you can 4x4 into a very remote place in the mountains. It has all of the amenities of a large motor home yet the footprint of a camper van. Four adults can move around comfortably and relax after a day of skiing playing cards and there is plenty of water for showers and living life. This is the best camper one could ever own.
- Aaron Rodolph, Wyoming