Truck Camper Reviews on RV Insider (165)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Truck Camper RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2021-02-01 2018 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-2901 View Listings

My husband and I purchased a 2018 Forest Pines, Palomino truck camper. It was a new camper we bought in 2019. When my husband went to pick up the camper, he noticed some RV antifreeze on the floor. When asking what it was from, he was told they must have spilled some when winterizing it. My husband brought it home and filled it with water. After about an hour he checked it only to find water covering the floor and dripping outside. We cleaned it up and dried it out. We were given a new water tank since the attachment was cracked. We were told the camper was supposed to come with a one year manufacturers warranty. We took it camping one season. After three times camping, we felt the soft spots in the floor. We have tried to contact Forest Pines and Palomino immediately and it’s now February 2021 and we are still trying to get it fixed. We’re paying for it but can’t use it. Palomino hasn’t returned a phone call or message yet. We are extremely dissatisfied customers. We will never buy from this company again and we do not recommend it to anyone. Terrible customer service.
- Laura Sneller, Wisconsin

2021-01-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 View Listings

Previously had an older Skyline Weekender camper that was getting to old to fix. Frame issues, leaks etc. So I started looking at another used rig but didn't find anything that was exactly what I wanted. I then started seriously looking at most of the top brands new models and narrowed it down to four different manufacturers. Northern Lite, Bigfoot, Adventurer, and Arctic Fox. So I sent out some exploratory e-mails to a few different RV dealers to see what was available. That same evening , I think a Sunday no less I received a response from the GM at Apache Camping Center in Portland and he said that he had all four of my choices on his lot available to view side by side. This was May of 2018. A week later the wife and I flew up from San Diego and had an appointment for the following morning. So we show up the next day and meet with the GM and discuss what were looking for and he assigned one of their knowledge salesmen to walk us through the different campers and would answer any questions we had. Wasn't sure about a slide-out or not but was open to the idea. Looking at the Adventurer it looked nice but it had a slide-out on the drivers side and that was a deal breaker. Wouldn't be able to park on side of street and extend side as it would be in into traffic, Strike 1. Looked at a Bigfoot they had and it was nice but the facing dinette was small on one side so no way four people could sit side by side, Strike 2. Next up was the Northern lite and they had a couple different models. No slide which was ok and I liked the back porch area and the fit and finish was top notch but I didn't care for the large windows or the way they functioned. Not my cup of tea. So strike 3. Last but not least was the Arctic fox models 811,865, and the 990. Unfortunately the wife and I went into the 990 first and that was all she rote. With the slide out extended and the arched ceiling there was so much more room inside it wasn't funny. The dinette seats were large and the same sizes. The windows (double pane) were tinted and functioned like I wanted. The skylights were a bonus in the main salon and bathroom. But one of the biggest option it had that was available was ordering just the 3 burner stove top and having 2 large drawers below where the oven would of been to store all the cooking pots pans etc. Decided on the Convection / Microwave combo and a few other items and went inside to make the deal. So after deciding on everything we wanted and being told it would be ready for pick-up in 5 weeks we left a deposit to start the build and agreed to come back when it was ready. About 5 weeks exactly the wife and I drove up to pick it up ( took two days) and showed up when they opened and spent a bit of time inspecting to make sure all was ok and then went in to sign papers and pay the remaining balance and then went outside and loaded up on my truck. Luckily the truck was already set up with Forklift tie-downs, Front and Rear BR Sway bars, Airlift 5000 airbags and 1 ton rear springs and this is on a 2004 Ford F250 supercab. It took us 4 days to get back home taking our time and seeing some friends along the way. This past year I sold the 04' F250 and got a 19' F350 CCSRW with all the same mods that my 3/4t had and couldn't be happier. Been down to Baja a number of times as well as AZ, NM and all around Cali. Purchased a 2000k propane/gas generator that fits in the Gen storage area ( cost $600 instead of 4k from the dealer ) and added 510w of solar on the roof this thing is pretty self sufficient when going off grid. Was planning to do the Pacific Northwest this past year but that got nixed. Hopefully this year will be better. LOVE THE CAMPER and the dealer was great and we got a great deal. Only issue I have had was the check valve in the fresh water pump was sticking so Northwood sent me a new one for free and I installed it took all of an hour. Fixed the check valve and now have a spare.
- Mike Green, California

2021-01-13 2016 Lance Shortbed 855S View Listings

Over the last 40 years we've owned all the different types of RV's, new and used. This Lance is our 2nd truck camper and by far the best fit for our downsizing, yet very active, diverse lifestyle of trips, vacation camping, boondocking, and remote work locations. I'm a guy who cares more about the construction quality then the fluffy, shiny stuff. Afterall, what good is a bunch of shiny fluff if there is nothing strong enough to hold it all up? Lance impressed me with their Azdel wall/roof construction... NO exterior WOOD to absorb moisture! The factory was also very supportive when I contacted them to find the solar prep wiring. They not only told me exactly where it was, they sent me detailed CAD drawings of the wiring system. After 4 years of use, it still looks, smells and feels new!
- SemperFi-Vet, Minnesota

2021-01-11 2016 Adventurer Adventurer 116DS View Listings

We have the 116 DS and love it! But buyer be aware.There are several issues; #1,the refrigerator does not work when the outside temperature climbs over 88 degrees, I've taken it in under warranty 5 times and apparently can't be rectified. I even had a RV refrigeration only Specialist work on it, I believe this is why Adventurer no longer makes this model. #2 This is one tall camper when sitting on a 4x4 dually, a lot of climbing stairs.#3 The batteries are junk,I replaced them with it lithium batteries ($1,800) and a solar panel and now I never need the generator except for the microwave
- Gary, Arizona

2021-01-06 2020 Travel Lite Rayzr FB View Listings

I bought a new truck camper from highway 34 RV in November 2020, paying $14,368. I have numerous issues and the dealer and company are both worthless. Ryan, CEO of travel lite called me a dick and hung up on me when I confronted him about the language. Jamie the CFO lied about Ryan's behavior. This company is a joke.
- Jon Hopkins, Pennsylvania

2020-12-27 2006 Lance Lance 851 Max View Listings

We have owned our Lance since new. Using a truck camper has the versatility to tow or remove and have a standard vehicle to service rather than an expensive RV. This unit has superior quality and design. The slide includes the fridge and dinette leaving the entire size of the trucks bed as floor space. The forward restroom is also a great space saver. As with all standard RV the roof is the issue. A new one was required and the skylight was closed to keep less opening for future leaks. Otherwise no problems. This is the best unit we have seen to date and compared to others there's no comparison.
- Timothy, California

2020-12-05 2013 ATC Bobcat Bobcat View Listings

I was completely dissatisfied with how ATC treats it's customers. I bought a used camper from the auction, and customer service was very disrespectful for me. I understand that I didn't pay a penny to ATC per se. However does I mean that the customer should be left without support? Initially, ATC answered my questions (some of them incorrectly). When I emailed them then, they just stopped responding. When I called, in a very rude tone their answers were like "yes", "no" etc. E. g. literally : "What do you need?!" For me not responding to email is the same if at the street I ask a question in person and the respondent just turns his back and goes away. Especially if it is business-customer relationship. I said, I can call back when you are not so busy. ATC responded: "we are always busy!" By way of comparison, I bought a used Toyota. I have never paid money directly to the Toyota factory or even dealer. Despite that, Toyota resolved absolutely all of my questions when I contacted their headquarters. So now I recommend this car make to anybody I know. For the quality of the camper, they should improve their manual because it becomes a real safety issue. They literally say: "you can place on the roof anything you want". Well, previous owner put 3 solar panels on the roof and it was very difficult for me to lift it up. Their manual is just 6 PDF couple-page files, with no pictures, nothing. FWC has a 100 page manual. I used FWC manual to setup the camper, I called FWC and they helped me a lot. Later I visited FWC factory and they told me that founder of ATC long time ago worked for FWC. Then he just copied and pasted their technology. That's why FWC are constantly improving their technology while ATC just keep producing the same. Of course, copying is much easier than inventing new. I wouldn't trust to positive customer reviews about these campers. Most of them are at "wanderthewest" website forum, and ATC placed a link to reviews at this forum at their own website. However, this forum blocks negative customer reviews about ATC (which was my case).
- Oleg, New Jersey

2020-12-01 2021 Travel Lite Travel Lite 800X View Listings

Beautifully appointed inside and out. Light enough to carry on my Ram 1500 short bed. Three cheers for the folks at the factory in Indiana who did a structural repair that was due to the camper not being mounted quite right on my truck. They didn’t have time, but squeezed me in anyway and went the extra mile with the repair. They’re kind, friendly folk out there!
- Bob, Colorado

2020-11-12 2003 Alpenlite Limited View Listings

We bought this camper used in 2006. The former owners took it on a 3 month trip from WA to AK and that was the only trip they took in it. It was like new. We have taken it on so many trips from off road to hookup sites and we love it. It is a short bed and we were thinking about getting a bigger truck and camper. Since Alpenlite is no longer making them we went to look at other campers. After looking at all the new 2017 campers back then we decided to stay with ours. There is so much more storage in ours than the new ones. None of the new ones had a basement and the side compartments were useless. The layout and slide out are great in ours. Unfortunately, we discovered some delamination in June on a trip. Little did we know we had major water damage. Much worse than we thought when the shop got into it. We decided to have the work done to repair it. The lights and window on the front were leaking for probably years and we did not know. We also covered it with a 'waterproof' cover when it was not in use and found out that acts like a wick. Lesson learned. It is still in the shop waiting for decals from CA. We are not having the front window put back in and they put leakproof LED running lights all around Can't wait to get it back. It will be like new!
- AJ, Washington

2020-11-12 2006 Bigfoot RV 2500 25C10.6 View Listings

We owned this camper for 11 years and used it all over the western USA and Canada. Purchased it in Alaska when our new Airstream trailer self destructed on the AlCan Hwy and drove it home to AZ. We would still have it but, the only draw back, is that it high off the ground and we are in our late 70's and worried about falling, coming close a few times. I would highly recommend this camper to anyone. We had virtually no trouble with this camper in the 11 years we owned it. The new owners were amazed at the fact that it looked brand new in and out. The factory was always helpful with any questions we had or if we needed a part from them. Not a thing bad to say about this camper. Don't think that many people can say that about an RV! Buy one and have some great adventures with it, we certainly did! You won't regret it.
- lin paul, Arizona

2020-11-11 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I've owned two other truck campers from Lance and this beats both of them hands down. Livability in the AF 1140 can't be beat. We're a family of four with an 80 lb golden retriever and there is plenty of room for all of us. Holding tanks and fresh water are plenty for a week stay.
- Gregory, Virginia

2020-11-06 2020 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-8801 View Listings

Although I have been unable to use this unit it is very light for the amount of space provided. Quality of workmanship is top notch. Will work well on any modern 3/4 ton pickup on up. Solar panels provide ample dry camping time.
- Donald Ausmus, Texas

2020-11-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

Bought a 2020 811 truck camper based on what I’d heard and read about the Arctic Fox brand of RV’s. My brother also owned a 2012 version of the same camper and had nothing but good things to say. Oh how times change. I’ve had multiple problems with my 811 and thus far my experiences with Northwood customer service have been less than stellar. They have either referred me to an appliance manufacturer for resolution of a problem, or completely neglected to get back to me, or have not followed through with commitments made over the phone. The problems: Fridge runs constantly on gas or electric; a large loom of wires was draped unsupported over a water supply hose coming out of the pressure-demand pump, and the dynamic loading from traveling weakened the fitting. The fitting broke while the pump was switched on but no water was flowing, and the release of pressure caused the pump to kick on and water poured out of the broken fitting and into the basement. The dining room table trim is falling off from the perimeter of the table, and the weather sealing throughout is horrible. Opening the hampers on either side of the bed in cold weather is like opening a walk-in freezer, and donning clothes that were stored in them is seemingly like putting on clothes that were stored in an igloo. Using the USB ports on either side of the bed results in the ports annunciations a high-pitched whine that is nearly impossible to sleep through. Insulation of various exterior compartments is almost non-existent, even though this unit is advertised as a “4-season” RV. Sealing of the rear exterior compartments is ineffective, causing water and dirt to accumulate inside them. Compartment doors and hinges are so flimsy that they sag badly when opened, and locks are cheap. Considering the price charged for this camper none of these problems should exist. Northwood charges a premium for their offerings, although given the current trend of inferior materials and workmanship quality they won’t be doing that for long. I foresee them losing significant market share as a result of their profit-only business strategy, whilst neglecting quality workmanship and materials. It’s evident that even the (historically) better manufacturers have elected to provide hugely inferior products and workmanship in the interests of cost reduction, while maintaining high retail pricing to maximize earnings. I had initially planned on stepping up to an AF 5th wheel eventually, but I won’t be spending another penny on another AF unless they undertake a major turnaround over the next few years.
- Tom, Washington

2020-10-25 2018 Lance Longbed 1062 View Listings

This is the most versatile Camper you can own. It can fit in a parking space along a street in a big city or you can 4x4 into a very remote place in the mountains. It has all of the amenities of a large motor home yet the footprint of a camper van. Four adults can move around comfortably and relax after a day of skiing playing cards and there is plenty of water for showers and living life. This is the best camper one could ever own.
- Aaron Rodolph, Wyoming

2020-10-03 2016 Palomino Backpack Edition Soft Side SS-1251 View Listings

Screens have deterriated causing rips through out screen, cupboards not anchored to ceiling properly, click lock on drawers do not work causing drawers to open when traveling After 1 yr warranty you are on your own. On a positive note very convenient for parking and queen size bed is a plus.
- Pauline Ryan, Ontario

2020-09-26 2017 Adventurer Adventurer 910DB View Listings

I bought this Camper new and have enjoyed so many aspects of it. I sent an email to the manufacturer and got a quick reply from the production manager. He was very helpful. I have not had any issues with it and except for buying a fifth wheel I would keep it.
- john griffith, Washington

2020-09-25 2017 ALP Eagle Cap 1160 View Listings

We loved this camper. Lots of space and loved the decor but decided we wanted to go bigger. Has everything you need to stay off grid if that's desired. Very well made and maintained. Lots of upgrades.
- Pam Fosburgh, Arizona

2020-09-17 2011 Lance Longbed 950S View Listings

This is the one and only truck camper I have owned. Prior to this rig, I owned 3 travel trailers...like most owners each one bigger and better than the previous. The Lance camper is by far the best built and most reliable. I had one electrical issue...trailer lights. This ended up being an issue with my truck fuse box combined with the plug extension on the super truss receiver extension. The only knock I have is that the generator is not large enough to run the microwave and air conditioner at the same time. This is minor as my previous 3 had the same issue until I upgraded and ran two Honda EU Generators simultaneously. It is of the age when all the vents should be changed. That was on my list for the upcoming year, but I won't be able to get that done prior to selling. I had the power jacks and the electrical system gone though prior to listing by PC Mechanical in Santa Maria. This camper was used for both horse shows and Motorcycle trips...probably about 15 to 18 times a year. The previous owner had taken it on the Great Alaska Highway...there are stickers on the back. It has seen plenty of desert time as well.
- Derek Hansen, California

2020-09-05 2005 Four Wheel Four Wheel Hawk View Listings

excellent basic offroad camper. Dry warm BR, Kitchen, heater, fridge, stove, sink but no bath. Well built aluminum welded frame. If your truck fits between those obstacles so does this camper. Small but comfortable for 2 in the wilderness.
- Ed Ridenour , Nevada

2020-09-05 2016 ALP Eagle Cap 1160 View Listings

This floorplan offers a huge amount of living space in a quality package. Two people can be VERY comfy. Dry bath is perfect size for the floorplan. We have theatre seating in place of the couch and we highly recommend this upgrade. LOTS of interior storage (kitchen storage is better than many Class A motorhomes!). Queen mattress in sleeping area and plenty of TV's for watching. AC is more than adequate to keep you cool in the hottest of days (100+ degrees outside but easily maintained 70 degrees inside). Furnace is very efficient. Camped all last winter (2 weekends a month) in eastern and central Virginia and used less than 30lbs of propane from October through April. Quality built and fairly easy to haul. A one-ton or larger truck is a must, as this camper weighs in at almost 5k lbs dry. Well worth it, though, when you consider the comfort and convenience factors. Highly recommend both this manufacturer and this floorplan.
- John Bennett, Virginia

2020-08-27 2017 Adventurer Manufacturing Eagle Cap 1165 View Listings

We replaced our Excel 5th wheel with this unit because we are getting older and having it actually on the truck made it easier to drive. The unit, when the 3 slides are out, is unbelievably roomy. It has everything we had in the 5th wheel: full kitchen (we love to cook), dry enclosed bath, 2 TVs, all season climate control, queen bed and plenty of storage space. The quality is great, no major repairs or issues. We are sad to have to sell it, but my husband's vision has deteriorated and he can no longer drive it.
- Donald Kremer, Missouri

2020-08-26 2011 Palomino Bronco 1500 View Listings

Great camper. Read some good and bad reviews before i bought. Anyone that wrote a bad review probably was use to hotel camping and probably not too comfortable outside of the city. Its a camper, s**t breaks, but its easy to fix and its great to haul the family around in. Had a bronco for 5 years and just loved it.
- Jim, Alberta

2020-08-16 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-550 View Listings

Just picked up our 2021 SS550. Not super impressed as this year the overhead cabinets are literally “canvas duffel bags” and worthless. They have removed lots of the storage the older models had (such as below the countertop and under the bed. The dinette table is so flimsy we have already ordered a better “foot for it” and then they are so worried about weight yet they have an additional board which is for the “dinette bed” that there is no place to store and have to lug around. With just a tad bit of thought they could have set up the dinette so that the table could be used for the dinette bed. But nope too easy to go the cheap route in construction but not price. You may ask why we bought it? Can’t find a older used one and are on a time line due to health issues. If ya have time wouldn’t buy it look at their previous years models much better layout and storage. Oh and quality apparently isn’t in their vocabulary just looking to turn out quick to build and super light weight to the point of stupid. Has so much potential and they went the cheap easy route. Some redeeming features are the electric roof jacks hand, rail at door Instant hot water heater and 3 way fridge beyond that really a bummer. Not sure why they went this route as is sad.
- Ann Etcheverry , Wyoming

2020-08-01 2016 Lance Lance 650 View Listings

Screws keep falling out. After one 3 day trip when I removed the camper from my truck I found 6 screws had fallen out of the base of the camper. After only five trips the screws to the bathroom door all fell out leaving the door on the floor. Gas mode on refrigerator does not work. Battery only lasted one year. Kitchen window fails to stay open. This was not a cheap purchase, for what this unit cost it should have been something of quality instead of junk. Really poor workmanship and quality control.
- alan novey, Utah