Truck Camper

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Truck Camper RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2021-10-17 2017 Adventurer Manufacturing Eagle Cap 1165 View Listings

What an awesome gem. We live in ours 7 months a year for business. We pull a trailer and needed something smaller than a class c, yet larger than a class B. A Bumper pull or 5TH Wheel was out of the question since we have to pull our business behind us. It has plenty of storage, queen size bed, dinette, 2 recliners, 2 TVs, full sized dry bath, full kitchen. This was the perfect solution for our needs. We have it on top of our Dodge Ram 3500 dually. It compacts well and is easy to haul down the road. The down sides: the air conditioning doesnt quite make it into the bedroom, but the fantastic fan pulls a good draw. And the city water hook up and black tank rinse is located on the wrong side, but it is an awesome unit.
- Carrie L Thompson, Arizona

2021-10-16 2006 Northwood Arctic Fox 860 View Listings

We bought our Arctic Fox new in 2006. It was built in the Winchester, Virginia plant, which I think has closed. Overall, it was well built and reliable, but nothing is perfect. 1. One of the axles was defective, and kept blowing up tires. It took quite an effort to find someone to fix it, partly because no one would believe me, but after getting it straightened, we never had another tire explode. 2. The big slide failed one day, fortunately when parked at home. I replaced the drive motor and gears, and figured out that the slide was riding on a piece of steel rather than what it was supposed to. 3. I found that the gaps around the fridge where devoid of insulation or any kind of seal. Fixed it myself. 4. The decals failed very early, in year four of our ownership. We stripped them off and bought new decals. What a pain that was. Overall, we really liked our AF, despite the problems, and kept it until 2019.
- Carl Fetterman, Idaho

2021-09-10 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1251 View Listings

I generally like the unit and am happy with. I feel 3 1/2 stars is my rating. I bought this in February 2021 and we have been on three trips with it so far. I pull a boat behind and remove the camper from the truck first thing when arriving at our camping location so I use the electric jacks a lot with no issues to date. I also place stabilizer bars under the nose of the camper. I have no leaks in the roof or anywhere else. I did add a roof mount single 100W solar panel and roof mount Dish Network Playmate satellite dish after purchase. It was already pre-wired for solar which was nice. We like the 3 way Dometic Fridge. The wet bath and on-demand hot water. My wife especially like the full inner spring queen sleeping area and its headroom. We did add a high quality topper to the mattress but it was okay as it was as well. The large amount of storage on each side of the bed is great. I do like the soft, portable storage bags in place of fixed cupboards. You can use what you want and take out what you don't. The poorer aspect is Forest River could have made a 3 1/2 star review 5 stars for just a few dollars more in quality. Just simple things that would cost them half of what it cost me to do. I drain my fresh water after trips. I have to unscrew and remove a cover over the water tank to do this each time. A way to drain this easily would be nice. The battery included with the camper was an unknown brand with low amp hours. I gave it away and bought a good group 27 battery to replace it. $100 The outside shower head was attached with a plastic tube which was kinked in three places before we ever touched it. I spent $20 at Ace Hardware to buy a decent sprayer head and hose. I had to re-glue one of the ceiling trim strips which fell out. Not a big deal but it's new. I do not care for the dining table as designed either. The storage under it is pointless. Although the overall amount of storage in the camper is impressive in a good way. The cutting board cover for the sink is warped already. When you drain the water some stays in the fawcett and drips on the board. I realize that now but did not before. Plastic in place of wood would have been a good swap here. I like the camper. Just a few little things would have taken this from decent to great.
- R Dailey, Colorado

2021-09-09 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I am a strong supporter of the Arctic Fox 1140 camper. I have had one for over 3 years and the only issues I have had was an improperly wired fuse which was quickly corrected by the dealer, and a drawer slide that lost its bearings. This too was quickly repaired by the dealer. I do a lot of dry camping and the generator, solar panels and tank capacity (F 59gal, G 35gal and B 43 gal) are great benefits. I also usually spent 10 to 14 days winter camping and the 4 season capability with heated tanks, large closet for hanging coats and storing boots (wet bath) is welcomed. I keep the thermostat set at 58 deg F and the dual 12v battery bank runs the heater, fridge, and lights for 24hours without requiring the generator. We installed a 2 inch "keep cool" mattress topper and sleep wonderfully. The slide out allows two people to be in the camper without continually stepping over one another. I have frequently commented to friends that it is simply unbelievable that something that fits in the back of a pickup bed can be so roomy and have that much storage. The Fox steps are indispensable when towing. The 1140 is our second Arctic Fox Camper our first was a 990. We looked at every manufacturer we could find before making our first purchase. As far as I am concerned you cannot find a better built quality camper on the market. The fit and finish are excellent. Cabinets are residential quality, and there are lots of them. There are some with fancier counter tops and more expensive seating but none provide the value of the Arctic Fox.
- Steve Blair, Washington

2021-09-08 2018 Travel Lite Travel Lite 625SL View Listings

I love using our camper however where the front roof piece met with the roof meets they just caulked instead of over lap the 2 pieces to insure less leakage..cost hardly any extra. they just met it we have replaced outside speaker phone charger system the fan fell out the radio failed now having trouble with the refrigerater..it isn't keeping it cold enuff on battery/propane but ok on 110 but that doesnt help traveling..it got up to 60 degrees..company warranty the roof and front rebuild but now it's pancaked..the antenna broke off had to eliminate it..it leaked water again..so so very very disappointed in quality of it..it could have been great.so we will never get any money in a trade in..not replace it with a travel lite..we will be "upside" down severely..we owe money on it..oh yes when they did rebuilt the front the jack on 1 corner is wobbly and we are afraid it will crash when we unload or load it hence it stays on our truck the entire summer DISSAPPOINTED stuck owner
- Annette Darbee, Kentucky

2021-09-05 2016 Lance Shortbed 855S View Listings

The 855S is a wonderful Truck Camper. Its perfect for 2 people and a dog. Easy to get around in it....not hitching and un-hitching and you can get around in tight spaces. It has a comfy queen size bed with a real mattress and a good size dinette for adult size people. Had a travel trailer before and you don't realize at first how small some of the dinettes are. Lance is also a great brand!
- Debbie, California

2021-09-01 2017 Host Industries Mammoth 11.5 View Listings

2019 Cascade Literally problems and replacement of all Dometic components. 2 years in, 5 services on the fridge and fully replaced, went out again now, 2 services each on both furnace and water heater. Clearly a dometic issue. As another person shared the floors are peeling up. Worst issue is the severe cracks on the outside fiberglass panels surrounding the slides outs, one in the first 6 months but was told it was not a structural threat, now even bigger cracks on the glass on both sides. I loved the floor plan for a cab over but arm chair was broke day one, fixed day 3 and has been broken ever since flopping around. Turns out there is basically only one staple in it. I find washers and screws every few miles down the road and am always wondering where they are coming from. Proceed with Caution!! Factory was great and responsive in my home town until I passed the one year mark. A lot of issues for 70 k
- Steve Sawyer, Oregon

2021-08-29 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

The Northwood Arctic Fox 811 is full of features and quality that should be in a truck camper. It is pretty tall though, and being a shorter older guy,it is difficult to reach the propane tanks for refilling. I would like to see a connection to fill the tanks in place. That said it is fine for a younger person or a tall person to reach and manage. The camper is otherwise equipped with lots of thoughtful ideas to make camping fun. Quality is first rate and will last many years. Its time for me to pursue other plans and let someone else enjoy this Arctic Fox 811.
- Ervin Hagerup, Arizona

2021-08-29 2005 Thor Industries Citation Supreme 9.6 View Listings

Owned by Thor industries and built to last, this truck camper seems to withstand the elements. Solidly built for extreme weather conditions and comfortability this camper holds the record. In comparison to a wide range of truck campers the Citation Supreme ranks top in its class.
- M. Jones, Oregon

2021-08-16 2017 Northern Lite Special Edition 10-2 EXCD View Listings

Northern Lite products are built in British Columbia, Canada. Their craftsmanship is excellent. I have had a lance truck camper which while we enjoyed it did not even approach the quality standards of its northern neighbor. Everything about the Northern Lite is solid, well engineered. The camper is essentially like a boat and rides well in your truck. They come well equipped.
- Jonathan Crisp, Virginia

2021-08-13 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1240 View Listings

Roof leaks first trip after i buy it in April. MONTHS and many frustrating moments later it is still a giant headache. Actuator which lifts roof has failed. All of course under warranty. Then fight to get repairs authorized, hear all the excuses and brush offs. Neither issue is fixed. It’s august. If forest river is the only company selling rv’s I’m goin back to my tent.
- Richard weaver, South Dakota

2021-07-22 1995 Lance Squire 9000 View Listings

What I like about it, Has always been a faithful truck and Camper. The truck is a Chevy 3500 Dooley, 4 X 4, with extended deluxe cab, with leather seats. Recent service, new tires, batteries, shocks. Truck has 7.5 V-8. New cost of truck and camper was over $41,000 !! The camper is a Lance Squire 9000 model, this was the top of the line model, that has lots of extras on it !! Reason I'm selling is due to a passing of my wife !! Unit was only used about 5 times. The truck has a towing package on it. We towed a Jeep behind it, with no problems towing it. Even average 15 MPG. I sold the Jeep. Would like to see this unit, goes to someone, who would really enjoy it!!
- James Kelly, California

2021-07-22 2011 Lance Lance 825 View Listings

The Lance 825 is a perfect three-season camper for short-box trucks. The convertible bunk in this model is a perfect option for traveling with children. The quality and layout of Lance campers is evident.
- Derek Anderson, Michigan

2021-07-22 2019 Travel Lite Travel Lite 800X View Listings

Leaked at the front cap. Don't know when it started, but due to the severe damage to the bed area and side's, I suspect it was leaking from day one. Had no indication I had a leak till I seen that my mattress was wet. The porch lite quit working after a month. The door doesn't fit right and have trouble closing it. The interior led lights quit working after the second year caused by the fuse panel electronic board shorted out.the outside electrical outlet wasn't installed right and keeps falling out. And I've only used it twice. I will never buy another travel lite product ever again, and I wouldn't recommend a travel lite product to my worst enemy. Extremely poor quality and the company will not stand behind their products.
- Brent, Michigan

2021-07-22 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS550 View Listings

Bought this in September of 2020, a month later it was in the shop for a gasket recall. In the spring when we tried opened it for our first use of the year, found one of the motor that raise the roof didn’t work. Tapped on it and it started working. Then we found out the roof leaks. Brought it back to dealer to find the leak, replace the lights full of water, replace the window that leaked, replace the motor that didn’t work. When we picked it up from the dealer, a second motor quit working, they replaced that. Last week brought it back to a different dealer because the canvas sides pulled out of the roof, can only assume the motors raise too high and pulled the canvas out. Got a call today, and a third motor doesn’t work so now they have to replace that one. POS LEMON
- John, Minnesota

2021-07-20 2015 Lance Lance 1050S View Listings

I owned this model for 4 years and LOVED it. The extra counter opposite of stove is a great coffee bar area. The dry bath is wonderful. I have owned 3 "longbed" Lance campers. I also enjoyed the rear kitchen model. I am looking at 9'6" models now with different truck. I drove 3 states on 4 different trips, multiple short camping weekends, concert, car races, and even a wedding. This sleeps 5 comfortable, 2 adults and 3 smaller children and/or 4 adults. Boondocking and or boating/side-by-side weekends were perfect. Highly recommend a 1 ton srw minimum best would be a 1 ton dually and Air bags.
- Kimberly Z, Washington

2021-07-14 2019 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-550 View Listings

Purchased new in late spring of 2018. Installed on Gmc 2500 HD crew cab and left for Alaska for 5 weeks. Heater, AC, water tank and pump, all worked as they should. Fridge takes a while to get cold and seems to struggle a little on gas.Hot water heater was nice but hot water pressure seems low. Electric roof lift works as it should. Using manual Jack's to raise and lower camper was a pain, we later installed electric motors on jacks. Had a couple on pieces of trim come loose inside camper,but gorilla glue quickly solved that problem. Queen bed is comfortable, but do wish another step was built in to access it. Not able to access storage lockers along side of bed unless top is lifted on camper, sometimes a pain. Power vents work great for ventilation. We cut down the size of the rectangular tabletop so you could more easily sit at dinette. Extra board used to turn dinette into a bed is stored upside down under sear cushion. Had 1 leak in year 2 from seal around outside yellow porch light by doorway. Seal Had deteriorated. Cleaned and recaulked. Major issue has been yellow mold on and under seal where roof section lowers for traveling. A regular cleaning and treating of it has helped. We do wish air conditioner fan would only run when cooling and not all the time, and I do wish it was easier to change water-filter on system. Not much room under bench for wiring, water tank and pump, water filter, battery, etc. Going on year 3 with the camper and still having fun in it. We do have the folding steps. They are great when camper is on the truck, but cannot leave the tailgate on and use them. Also, they are a pain to use when camper is off of the truck and lowered down. We just use a good, solid milk crate as a step then. Also purchased a set of Stabil-Stiks to use when camper is off of the truck to help stop shaking and sway. Other than normal maintenance,no major issues. It has been a good camper that we continue to use.. I'm 66, my wife is 61.
- Levi Strause, Iowa

2021-07-09 2020 Northern Lite Limited Edition 10-2EXLEWB View Listings

the Northern Lite 10.2 is the nicest truck camper that I have ever owned. The quality is unsurpassed for fit and function every where we went everyone was saying "That is the nicest truck camper I have ever seen where did you get it!"
- gary L byers, Montana

2021-07-07 2022 Travel Lite Rayzr FB View Listings

junk! ac gets air for rear coil thru gap above ac, will not cool on hot day, bugs can get in, they dont seal gap in wall where they cut hole for ac, cabinet for ac not waterproofed, pan under ac not wide enough to catch rain blown in, holes in cabinet wall for cord to go thru bugs can get in living quarters, outside air can come in, ac can pull air from living quarters, lower walls not insulated, propane cabinet not insulated
- steve machen, Arkansas

2021-07-01 1973 Alaskan Camper Alaskan Camper 10ft Hydraulic Popup View Listings

This 1973 Alaskan Camper is a real gem and you will not find another one out there. It's low profile when driving makes it easy to maneuver and the head room when popped up makes it very livable. My husband is 6' tall and has a few inches of head room. We have been able to take this camper where most RV's have not gone before. We like to get off the beaten path and the turning radius of this camper on our pickup truck allows us to get in and out of small spaces. This Camper has made an awesome off-road expedition rig for our family at a very reasonable price compared to many Overland Expo setups. We have loved and really enjoyed this camper and we know you'll love it too!
- Morgan Fatali, Arizona

2021-06-13 2008 Lance Longbed 992 View Listings

We owned a Lance 992 for 12 years and used it for long road trips in the Summer, and for a few years we used it in the Winter for snow skiing. It's very well insulated and has been virtually trouble free. I did have to replace the circuit board for the 3 way fridge, but that's all that failed. Having a large solar panel allowed us to dry camp 3 or 4 days in a row and not be dependent on RV parks.
- Brad McCracken, Washington

2021-06-13 2019 Lance Lance 975 View Listings

This RV is easy to heat and cool due to it being a "all seasons rv". I like how the roof top solar keeps the batteries charged. The dry bath is exceptional with a seperate shower, large vanity and a large cabinet. the large frig/freezer is very nice. Loads of storage areas includina a large basement storage drawer. The windows have very nive screen or shade for daytime and night time privacy. This RV gets a lot of attention from onlookers in the campgrounds and for good reason.
- Hugh M Hamilton, Georgia

2021-06-11 2006 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 Wet Bath View Listings

I’ve had many RV’s and the Arctic Fox is the best built one I’ve had. I really like the insulation properties. I’ve had it in 10 below in the winter and 120 in the summer and was always fine and comfortable.
- Tim Michaels, Nevada

2021-06-09 2015 Lance Lance 850 View Listings

I bought my 2015 955 truck camper spring of 2017.First problem was basically all door and cabinet slides hinges latches Ect. had to be replaced or repaired to small of screws holding them in place or just not quality for the application. Then the slide out problems started showing up. The Seal on the bottom rolled up into a ball under the pull out slides and jammed the slide half in half out. The remote for the jacks and slide is the worst remote I have ever seen to change the batterie (is a not always available) you must take 4 vary small screws out after two times the screws are striped and will not remove. Now after just 4 years of use ( 6-8 times per year on weekends) the frame around the slide out is cracked. This causes the slide out to drop 4 to 6 inches and jams in the out position. So far I have tried to contact Lance with no return phone call or e-mail. Estimated cost of repair from local repair shop 2 - 5 grand
- Darren Kroells, Minnesota