Truck Camper Reviews on RV Insider (148)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Truck Camper RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2020-09-17 2011 Lance Longbed 950S View Listings

This is the one and only truck camper I have owned. Prior to this rig, I owned 3 travel trailers...like most owners each one bigger and better than the previous. The Lance camper is by far the best built and most reliable. I had one electrical issue...trailer lights. This ended up being an issue with my truck fuse box combined with the plug extension on the super truss receiver extension. The only knock I have is that the generator is not large enough to run the microwave and air conditioner at the same time. This is minor as my previous 3 had the same issue until I upgraded and ran two Honda EU Generators simultaneously. It is of the age when all the vents should be changed. That was on my list for the upcoming year, but I won't be able to get that done prior to selling. I had the power jacks and the electrical system gone though prior to listing by PC Mechanical in Santa Maria. This camper was used for both horse shows and Motorcycle trips...probably about 15 to 18 times a year. The previous owner had taken it on the Great Alaska Highway...there are stickers on the back. It has seen plenty of desert time as well.
- Derek Hansen, California

2020-09-05 2005 Four Wheel Four Wheel Hawk View Listings

excellent basic offroad camper. Dry warm BR, Kitchen, heater, fridge, stove, sink but no bath. Well built aluminum welded frame. If your truck fits between those obstacles so does this camper. Small but comfortable for 2 in the wilderness.
- Ed Ridenour , Nevada

2020-09-05 2016 ALP Eagle Cap 1160 View Listings

This floorplan offers a huge amount of living space in a quality package. Two people can be VERY comfy. Dry bath is perfect size for the floorplan. We have theatre seating in place of the couch and we highly recommend this upgrade. LOTS of interior storage (kitchen storage is better than many Class A motorhomes!). Queen mattress in sleeping area and plenty of TV's for watching. AC is more than adequate to keep you cool in the hottest of days (100+ degrees outside but easily maintained 70 degrees inside). Furnace is very efficient. Camped all last winter (2 weekends a month) in eastern and central Virginia and used less than 30lbs of propane from October through April. Quality built and fairly easy to haul. A one-ton or larger truck is a must, as this camper weighs in at almost 5k lbs dry. Well worth it, though, when you consider the comfort and convenience factors. Highly recommend both this manufacturer and this floorplan.
- John Bennett, Virginia

2020-08-27 2017 Adventurer Manufacturing Eagle Cap 1165 View Listings

We replaced our Excel 5th wheel with this unit because we are getting older and having it actually on the truck made it easier to drive. The unit, when the 3 slides are out, is unbelievably roomy. It has everything we had in the 5th wheel: full kitchen (we love to cook), dry enclosed bath, 2 TVs, all season climate control, queen bed and plenty of storage space. The quality is great, no major repairs or issues. We are sad to have to sell it, but my husband's vision has deteriorated and he can no longer drive it.
- Donald Kremer, Missouri

2020-08-26 2011 Palomino Bronco 1500 View Listings

Great camper. Read some good and bad reviews before i bought. Anyone that wrote a bad review probably was use to hotel camping and probably not too comfortable outside of the city. Its a camper, s**t breaks, but its easy to fix and its great to haul the family around in. Had a bronco for 5 years and just loved it.
- Jim, Alberta

2020-08-16 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-550 View Listings

Just picked up our 2021 SS550. Not super impressed as this year the overhead cabinets are literally “canvas duffel bags” and worthless. They have removed lots of the storage the older models had (such as below the countertop and under the bed. The dinette table is so flimsy we have already ordered a better “foot for it” and then they are so worried about weight yet they have an additional board which is for the “dinette bed” that there is no place to store and have to lug around. With just a tad bit of thought they could have set up the dinette so that the table could be used for the dinette bed. But nope too easy to go the cheap route in construction but not price. You may ask why we bought it? Can’t find a older used one and are on a time line due to health issues. If ya have time wouldn’t buy it look at their previous years models much better layout and storage. Oh and quality apparently isn’t in their vocabulary just looking to turn out quick to build and super light weight to the point of stupid. Has so much potential and they went the cheap easy route. Some redeeming features are the electric roof jacks hand, rail at door Instant hot water heater and 3 way fridge beyond that really a bummer. Not sure why they went this route as is sad.
- Ann Etcheverry , Wyoming

2020-08-01 2016 Lance Lance 650 View Listings

Screws keep falling out. After one 3 day trip when I removed the camper from my truck I found 6 screws had fallen out of the base of the camper. After only five trips the screws to the bathroom door all fell out leaving the door on the floor. Gas mode on refrigerator does not work. Battery only lasted one year. Kitchen window fails to stay open. This was not a cheap purchase, for what this unit cost it should have been something of quality instead of junk. Really poor workmanship and quality control.
- alan novey, Utah

2020-07-30 2012 Northwood Arctic Fox 992 View Listings

D & D RV Center 2300 East Missoula Ave Helena, Montana 59601 Manager: A year ago, while camping in Montana, we noticed a bearing/nut from underneath our camper slide. It was just lying on the camper floor. Since we had purchased the Artic Fox camper from you – we took pictures of the bearing/nut assembly, sent them to you, and asked for advice. You said you were busy - about 4 weeks out for service - not to use the camper slide and make an appointment for repair. Since we do not live in the area; about 1,000 miles away, we asked about this summer. You said call 4-6 weeks prior to coming out and make an appointment for repair. This past June, I called for an appointment. I could not speak to the Service Manager, Dan, as he was out but to send pictures to D & D with attention to Dan. The appointment was made for July 28 at 8:00 a.m. We were at your business before 8:00 on the 28th, were checked in. At 11:30 I received a text from a service person saying that not only one roller bearing was out but 3 of the 4 were out and what would I like to do. After calling and asking for an estimate of time to fix, I received another text at noon saying I would need to schedule an appointment and the earliest date was August 24. A huge disappointment. This is what we were trying to avoid. The pre-scheduling that we did, the pictures of the problem, and letting you know what to expect was to avoid another diagnosis of the roller bearing problem. It was to get it fixed! You charged me for 2 ½ hours of shop time ($297), as well as wasting our time, to tell me what you originally said – the slide needed to be pulled out to get at the roller bearings. We do not live in the area. We purchased the camper from you because you (Helena) and Billings are the farthest east Artic Fox campers are sold. We are happy with the camper but disappointed in your service. A selling point was made at the time of the purchase of your #1 service. An option of leaving the camper with you – again we live about 1,000 miles away – is not an option. Another option of trying to schedule an appointment for next summer during a camping trip to get the repair done; will not happen either. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We will explore the Billings dealership. Maybe the question I should ask is, “What should I have done differently to make this work?” Maybe the question you should ask is, “What could D & D have done differently to make this work?” Steve Anderson
- Steve Anderson, South Dakota

2020-07-26 2005 Host Yukon 11.5SS View Listings

I have had this camper for about4 years. I like the fact that I can open the back wall to make a queen size bed. me to sleep 5-6 people in a truck camper. The added large water tank is a plus(60) gal.I have been pleased so far seem to have ample storage space.This is my first truck camper and i am pleased with it so far
- mrmeffd, Massachusetts

2020-07-26 2021 Travel Lite Peak 9 770 View Listings

ok just bought a truck camper 2021 travel lite 770 peak 9.love it new light interior white with neat red lighting .nice fiberglass front nose front end and sides .new sharp grey color .with microwave ,ac,electric jacks,shower love it .very sharp light weight travel lite did some restructuring and doing a great job check.out there new hot looking line up.
- Terrylerch, Pennsylvania

2020-07-25 2011 Pastime Pastime 840LT View Listings

We have had no issues with this camper. It is very comfortable and reliable. Small enough to go anywhere. Fully self-contained so it is perfect for a long weekend of dry camping. Plenty of storage for longer trips. We have had several trips to the lake and camping.
- Cynthia Moody, California

2020-07-09 2018 Lance Lance 1172 View Listings

I bought my camper off of Princess Craft RV. First my midi heki skylight dome broke made by dometic. I found out dometic quit making them so I have to purchase a new complete midi heki instead of just a dome. Now I had a Atwood Jack go out and I found out they are no longer made so instead of bearings I have to purchase a new jack. Princess Craft RV wold me a extended warranty that won’t cover the Jack only the parts that I can’t get and since the repair person has to make two trips to take the Jack off and another trip to put the Jack on than its 3 times the cost of my deductible. Lance should have to cover these jacks and Princess Craft should pay the labor. Mastertech extended warranty needs to go out of business.
- Ricky Wilhelm, Oklahoma

2020-07-07 2020 Palomino Real-Lite SS-1600 View Listings

My wife and I like the overall design, but it is very short on storage, and the quality control was pretty bad. There are only 2 tiny "cabinets" inside that are little more than cubby holes. Palomino/Real lite should install a ceiling mounted rail system that can accept a variety of baskets and other storage containers (plus, this gets more accessory sales for them and the dealer). Quality control issues: - There's a huge gap where the exterior molding wraps down across the back roof on one side - I'll be sealing it to match the other side shortly. - We got the Badlands package and the battery was wired reverse (5 minutes with a volt meter and I found this)into the solar charge controller, and... - ...the 2nd battery isn't internally wired into the electrical system (I'll be tracking that one down shortly). - The Thule roof rack wasn't assembled correctly, with one of the pilings not connected properly. - Numerous screws and nuts are in at steep angles, or not all the way in, leaving part of the screw holes exposed to the elements. - One of the roof raising jacks was incorrectly adjusted so that at full height, the right front of the roof was 3-4 inches lower than the other side and the canvas wasn't taught. I adjusted the cut off switch to its maximum height and now it works. Sort of... First, the jack runs slower than all the other jacks, so falls behind and has to run much longer than the others to fully elevate the roof. Second, the jack stops short of fully extended and I have to lightly push outward on the piston to get it to go up to the full height (I can hear the switch click on when I push on the piston). - The interior wiring that runs along the edge of the ceiling isn't consistently anchored, so big loops hang down and show behind the short cosmetic curtain rimming the ceiling, which... -... looks like it was installed by someone who had too much to drink - it varies from 3 inches, to ~6 inches out from the side wall. These are just the things we've found over 5 nights of camping and are not confidence inspiring. This could be a great little camper if Palomino/Real Lite would just put maybe a hour more labor and QC into it. As it sits, the unit feels like it was slapped together and sent out the door as quickly as possible with little pride in workmanship. I'd strongly advise buyers to carefully inspect their individual unit top to bottom before purchasing. On the plus side, it's pretty comfortable for 2 and a medium size dog, and the mattress is amazingly good. It also fits our diesel Chevy Colorado long bed (6') very well, and with a set of 1500lb Sumo springs, the truck is level and drives great. (We get ~25mpg on the Interstate drafting big rigs at 68mph.) Knowing what we know, I'm not sure we'd buy a Palomino-built product again, and certainly not this individual unit. Still, we'll give this unit a go for while.
- J.W., Montana

2020-07-03 2017 Lance Lance 975 View Listings

We've owned the Lance 975 for three years, and it is a very solid camper. So much is packed in a small space, which gave us the freedom to go anywhere with all of the same conveniences as a larger rig. Mounted to a 4X4 1-ton, pickup, we were able to slip back in the remote wilderness where no one else could go. Onboard generator and solar power with large holding tanks allowed us to boondock for days at a time. Lance did it right with this model. We love the dry bath and the slideout dinette, which left plenty of room for the kitchen prep area. There is tons of onboard storage from closets and drawers and shelving to the unique pull-out pantry. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for ultimate freedom.
- David Weinberg, Maryland

2020-06-19 2018 Travel Lite Extended Stay 840SBRX View Listings

I used to sell the Travel Lite Truck campers. Unfortunately the Travel Lite truck campers are built quite shoddily. We have had several campers delivered to us recently that we had to send back due to poor workmanship. Years ago, they were pretty nice, but now, with front end profit being the primary driver, the Travel Lite Truck campers lack in quality, value, and attention to detail. So SAD! - Mike Prosser
- Mike Prosser, Wisconsin

2020-06-17 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath View Listings

We love our 1140. Previously owned a Northwood product so we knew the quality. Looked at Host and Lance but the construction and fit, finish didn't compare. Specifically wanted a dry bath, we are in our unit 6 months of the year. Quality construction equals alot of weight, dually only. Only knock is dinette, can't somebody come up with a comfortable seating arrangement?
- Rory Cox, Washington

2020-05-20 2011 Northern Lite Special Edition 9-6 Q Classic View Listings

We couldn't have been happier with the camper for full winter camping with our family of 4. It was easy to us, easy to take care of, and never leaked.. at all. These are beautifully engineered with no particle board, rough edges, etc.
- Craig McClure, Colorado

2020-05-01 2020 Lance Lance 850 View Listings

Bought new. First rains found leaks from 3 skylights. Dealer pulled and resealed. When at home, did water/leak test, found leaks from 2 skylights, one of which was MASSIVE. Pulled trim and ceiling speakers and found a ridiculous amount of black mold growing all around the speaker holes, backs of trim and speakers had standing water and the whole camper smelled like mildew/mold. Also, the styrene foam in the laminated ceiling was wet everywhere I checked. Pretty obvious that with the amount of water and mold (both of which were quite far from the point of the leaks) that this unit was leaking from the time it left the factory floor, and the water was migrating/moving around the whole rear part of the ceiling, within the foam laminate. Company refused to acknowledge the extent of the damage, and insisted that it could be "fixed" with minor remediation. I'm in a very bad "life situation" at the moment, just off a divorce, and moving out of state, so don't have the time, energy, or mental capacity for a protracted legal battle (even though my attorney is pushing me to take it on.....knowing that my case would be solid as granite), so I just donated the camper to a local charity for the tax write off, and am walking away. Maybe I was just the unlucky guy to get the one bad camper of the line????? Seriously doubt that though.
- griffin ordway, California

2020-04-21 2014 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 View Listings

We bought this brand new in 2014 for camping with 2 small children and elk hunting for my husband. The first weekend, the thermostat quit working (and it was 35-45 degree temperatures...which sure made that trip an adventure). After a couple weeks at the dealer, that was fixed. We still own it and my husband loves it so much that we're going to be THAT family and also have a trailer cause we can't fit family of 4 with tweens into this any longer. Prior to owning this, we had an early 1980s camper and I think they had better storage than this model. I've tried so many Pinterest solutions to try to fit 4 of us in here...it just wasn't made for that. I'm not sure how two people going for more than a weekend could do it...you've got no place for that much food and putting a cooler in here takes up about all the walking room on the floor. The inside wallpaper is peeling pretty bad at this point but even new the seams were very visible and didn't look high quality (like we were assured the camper was for that price!). The trim pulled off and snagged on clothes pretty early on. The storage near the bed is practically unusable...again, I've tried lots of off-line solutions but cannot understand why they don't put shelves in!!! We've hit our heads on the shelf above us countless times. The step into the bed is way too high, as is the first step to get into the camper (after back-surgery, it's impossible for me). The windows should all come with black-out shades, as should the skylight (the fan and door both had them). In the pros: We've beat this camper up pretty good...off-roading a lot, we've hit branches, we've dented the sides hitting another camper...it's been through it all and we haven't had any leaking issues or freezing pipes or anything like that. My husband would buy this again in a heartbeat and we're looking at Outdoors RV for our trailer because once you go all-weather and high-quality, you can't go back!
- lauren, Washington

2020-04-01 2015 Palomino Real-Lite HS-1806 View Listings

Our truck camper has been great. It is well constructed and the layout works wonderfully. It has many features with tv hookup inside and out, am/fm radio with CD player, plus air conditioning which our last one did not. For a truck camper this unit has a lot of storage and we can easily fit all that we need to travel for a couple of weeks. Although it will not fit through the rock formations on Needles Highway in SD. It has an inside shower, but we really love the outdoor shower. My husband design a shower curtain for this area so it is more convenient to use. It has been a lot of fun. The only reason we are selling it is because we are recently retired and travel with our horses. We are looking for a horse trailer with a larger living area to spend winters in warmer weather.
- JoAnn Fink, Wisconsin

2020-03-02 2019 Lance Lance 855S View Listings

Disappointed to have spent $40,000! We have had nothing but problems! Thankfully before leaving to Fl, my husband happened to ck the air conditioner as the generator kept slamming to a stop when he would start the air conditioner, it just wouldn’t work! It took 6wks to get back from the repair shop, just in time to start our winter trek to Florida... later we found it has one speed, “high” it’s supposed to have two, high and low! Ughhh On the journey (still cold temp out) the furnace wouldn’t stay lit! 🥶 The sky lite over the toilet leaks like a sieve, arranging the shower curtain up and over the bar, is quite an art, trying to steer the drips away from its helpless target, perched on the toilet! We started a list, these are the worst on the list so far. PS... storage is a nightmare. If you put the rack down over the table for storage, you can’t sit at the table, it doesn’t leave rm enough for your shoulders, it should be at least 8” narrower, to be comfortable! At least one of the electric legs refuse to deploy in unison with the others... that’s pretty scary! Gulp! I’ve never bought brand new, always second hand, I just thought, wouldn’t it be nice to not have to fix and repair constantly, like we have done all our lives! Everything brand new, just pack and enjoy? Not! It’s been a nightmare, I wish we had never done it! At least second hand you expect to fix and repair, but new, and a top if the line Lance to boot! Beyond disappointing! My husband has been livid!!! Ugh. On the upside the frig, oven/stove and microwave, tv and stereo system are awesome! But oh the lack of plugins for doing hair, running an appliance on the counter or on the table, way disappointing... who designs these anyway? Surly no one that lives in one longer than a wk end at a time and definitely has no interest in doing anything with their hair other than a rubber band! If we had pd cash for a used one it wouldn’t be such a sore spot, to have to do repairs, but when you have hefty payments and most of the summer will be caught up hauling it 50miles back and forth for repairs (you just know everything won’t be done all at once!) Galls ya a bit! Ugh. I did make a email written complaint, I was told I would be gotten back to.. 1.5 mo. ago! My husband called the repair rv center and they walked him thru one of the major issues... I dread getting back home and having to deal with ALL these issues! Just tying to let potential buyers be ware! Trudi Batt
- Trudi Batt , Michigan

2020-02-16 2013 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 View Listings

We love everything about this rig. Lots of space, top-notch craftsmanship. Huge water capacity, push-button generator. They thought of all the bells and whistles! This is the best slide-in camper for off-grid camping, all year round. Great for surf and fishing trips. Sleeps 4 if you share beds. Eight-foot bed truck needed HD 2500 Minimum to hold the weight.
- Mike Larkin, New York

2020-02-10 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 Wet Bath View Listings

We love this Truck camper! We took our first truck camper to Alaska in 2012 and found it was the perfect way to go. We took a towable in 2014, but liked the truck camper set up better; the unit could fit in smaller spots. We had purchased this unit for a 2019 driving trip, but health issues developed and we cannot use this any longer. We like that you can pull in, drop the jacks, hook up water and power and you are ready to camp! Departure is easier, also. Having the slide out gives a lot of room, and the bedroom area is cozy and warm. The Fox Landing is so much safer than the little step ladder in our previous truck camper. The wet bath gives more room in the main area of the camper and there is ample space to shower, and clean the bathroom at the same time! The generator is great for those who like to boondock. Torklift Fast Guns are great for tie downs. All around, this is a great camper for any type of trip..
- Dean, Michigan

2020-01-31 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1500 View Listings

First off, I would never purchase another camper from the St. Lake City Access RV. I was pushed into signing the release by the "finance woman" before I ever saw my camper, and I strongly believe they sold me a floor model and not a brand new camper. The wear and tear strongly suggests that my camper was something on the floor that people kicked around before buying. I knew better, but after driving 8 hours to SLC, and then realizing I lost an hour to the time change, I nevertheless made my late afternoon appointment, paid cash for my camper, and was strong armed into signing the release before ever seeing "my camper"....The service mgr had some additional surprises for me, wanting additional money for this and that, and my friendly sales person was AWOL once I paid for the camper. I have removed any reference on my camper to Access RV, and when asked I say go to further east like Wyoming to buy your camper. The further east you go the cheaper the unit costs. Treat me right and I will sing your praises, treat me poorly as they did and I will blast them until my grave. Second off, I never received an adequate answer as to why FR indicated that the 1500 SS model had a gray water tank. It does not. There could have been a gray water tank placed under the shower, and allowed it to drain separately from the black water tank, but there is none. Negatives is the quality of "craftmanship" in the closet area being poorly sawed paneling That said, I have this camper on a 2008 long bed truck and with additional levee springs, it rides very well. I am in the camper for over a month each year in Montana, and being alone, it is very comfortable, functional, and with a full service hook up never a problem. The refrigerator works well, two stove burner more than adequate, I have added a portable microwave over the refrigerator, the hot water is plentiful, the shower a little cramped but not too bad, plenty of closet space and I can store food very well under the bed and in the cabinets. The forced air heater works great on cold nights, and the two tank propane system lasts a very long time. Finally, the electric roof elevator is excellent, and the methodology of closing everything off, putting the ceiling fan on to suck in the sides, works extremely well. Before I had a purchased in Woodland, CA a top of the line Four Wheel Grandby, but found it awkward and pushing up the roof a real hassle. Plus, the wood support that angled over the bed would wake me up at night. Sometimes in a panic wondering what's that? In comparison the Palomino 1500 SS is a far better model, and the indoor shower and toilet a major plus. In all, I like my 1500 SS because I camp alone and I have not attempted it with a dog or companion. It is best at a full service hook up, but I have purchased a gray water exterior tank for the dry camping at Pyramid Lake. Nevertheless, I will always be sore about the references to a "gray water tank" both in the brochure and owner's guide, that I rudely found out later did not exist. Lastly, never purchase the sealant package because it is over priced and pure non-sense. Quickly buy some Scotch Guard and treat your cushions yourself. For $750 it only lines the pockets of the sales staff and "finance woman". I would have given it 5 stars for livability if the dining table arrangement was not so awkward. As a result, I rarely use it.
- Tahoe John, Nevada