Folding Trailer

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Folding Trailer RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

joe April from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Aliner Aliner Scout View Listings

WE enjoy our Aliner Scout. It tows well and sets up quickly. A leak developed while towing the Aliner in the rain during the first year.For over 3 1/2 years we have been trying to get the leak fixed. The first authorized dealer fixed it 3 times and it still leaked. The second authorized dealer fixed it once and it still leaked. The factory then approved a repair utilizing an independent RV repair facility and they repaired it twice using Factory parts and it still leaks. I had to pay $110 for a portion of that repair. The factory is now recommending I take the Aliner back to the second authorized dealer(who already tried to fix it)and let them try again. I have towed the Aliner over 1,000 miles to the various repair facilities and I am not going to tow it another 400 plus miles for a fix by dealer who already tried to fix it once. I offered to fix it and release them from any further clains if they would pay for part of the repair up to $1,000. They refused. So now whenever we tow the Aliner and there is a possibility of rain we duct tape the area of the leak and protect the interior cushions.
- joe April, Florida

2021-07-21 2013 Aliner Aliner Classic View Listings

This little popup was my first experience with towing a camper and setting up a campsite all by myself. It is very easy to tow and maneuver. There is three sources of power in this little mighty camper. You can run off electric, propane or battery power. So if you want to go off grid you are able. There is plenty of room for a family of 4 or 2 couples traveling together. Because you can tow it with a full size SUV there is plenty of room for passengers in the tow vehicle and sleeping in the A-liner. There are several A-Liner facebook groups for ideas and support, for all things Aliner, repairs, decorating and maintenance.
- Cheryl Atkins, Florida

2021-07-12 2019 Coachmen Clipper 806XLS View Listings

I purchased this trailer new in November, 2019. One of the main reasons I bought this trailer was the advertised ability to raise the roof using a drill with the supplied bit. Imagine my disappointment when I was told by the dealer when I picked up the trailer to never, ever use a drill to raise or lower the roof. They told me they have done countless repairs on the lift system because the gear in the lift mechanism cannot handle the strain. On my second trip, the door literally fell off as I was driving. One of the bolts that secures the door/step to the frame fell out. I called the 1 800 support number to find out the size of the bolt so I could look for a replacement. They had no idea. I had to unhook the trailer, drive into the nearest town and buy three bolts, hoping one of them would fit. When I got back, I called the dealer and was told that it would take two weeks to repair. They did give me the name of a retailer that sold the correct size and style bolt, and I made the repair myself. On another trip, the bracket that holds the sliding bed mechanism broke. One of the large rivets literally broke off. I had to buy a rivet gun and the rivets to repair it. On another trip, the GFCI went bad and I could not use either of the 110 outlets for the remainder of my trip. I had to track down the correct GFCI replacement and repair it myself. Over the last several months, numerous screws and bolts have loosened and fallen out. I have had to replace several screws with slightly larger ones to insure a secure fit. The liner on the ceiling has been torn by the screen door during travel, and the list goes on. It seems like every time I take it out, I have another repair to look forward to. I believe the trailer was manufactured here in America. Well honestly, I am seriously disappointed in the lack of quality.
- Tony, Arizona

2021-06-28 2015 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

Firstly, I purchased my unit pre-owned from a dealership. The dealership experience is a separate issue, but my FR experience I will describe that is FR only. I found an inexpensive "standard" equipment item that was never installed, and the CS agent told me that I am not the original owner so FR is not obligated to send me the part because it was missed in the delivery to the original owner. Then, I had a major winch failure and the new electric winch (required to lift and lower the roof) that is a KNOWN equipment failure was ordered and told that it was in stock and would ship within 3 days, it took 7 weeks to arrive. The rudeness of the customer service rep and the lies of the shipping department is the cause of this review. The bad thing is that the unit itself is terrific for functionality, design, ease of use, etc. The disappointing part of this is that FR is a horrible customer experience. If I was as non-responsive to my clients as FR is to their buyers, I would lose my license.

2021-06-24 2020 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 View Listings

Problems from day 1, leaked water when we filled and used the pump and tank before using it for the first time. The bolt holding the step and door fell out the first time using it. One of the levelers would not retract the second time using it. The cable for lowering and raising it has stuck three times, we've used it four times. The screws for the door track have come out and the track sags.The first time using it this year 2021 the awning poles would not lock, never buy a Dometic awning their service people are impossible to deal with. All in all i recommend not buying a Forest River RV product. Jim W.
- james wilcox, Wisconsin

2021-06-08 2019 Black Series Black Series Patron View Listings

This Patron Popup camper can go anywhere, and if you enjoy the outdoors this is a lot of family fun. We have loaded out mountain bikes on the back, on top-mounted our paddleboards and kayaks. This unit can go to the most remote lakes high up in the mountains.
- Laura, Utah

2021-06-08 2018 Forest River Rockwood Hard Side High Wall A214HW View Listings

This was a great little camper for my husband and I, tiny living at its best. I take it out on my own and set it up no problem. Although, I wish I would have seen the reviews about the Actuator, We are on our 3rd one, they run out in about a year and a half, after the warranty wears off. My husband took the motor apart, it had water in it and had rusted. If I would have seen a review about this known problem, I would have picked a different camper Good Luck
- Kay Potland, Minnesota

2021-06-08 2021 Forest River Rockwood 1970ESP View Listings

Liked the floor plan, when open has a surprising amount of room for a small 15' popup. There are some design flaws though. The couch backrest has to fold up and the bed slide has to be 100% out or it can't go up. Even when the slide is out, it is tight and scrapes against the rail. The popup kitchen cabinet stove/sink is incredibly heavy and you can't really lift it with the handle provided, you need a second person lifting from the middle. You have to plug the A/C in with a power cord BEFORE you lift the top - can't tell you how many times you can forget that and you would have to bring the top back down or get a ladder. Same with the awning, you have to decide before you lift the top whether you will be using it. Didn't come with a battery shut off switch so there are power vampires everywhere that will suck the battery dry and then you are stuck without the ability to lift or retract the top. I think there is a way to manually crank it but it looks difficult to get to. The hitch is too short, even extended to its fullest we have to use at least a 6" block to get it up and over our ball hitch. The fridge is tiny but at least has a fridge. We bought this new and perhaps the canvas is too new and hasn't stretched out but it is very very difficult to get the canvas push out bars where the beds slide out to lock into the notch. Overall, this is difficult to set up with one person. For the positives: awesome dry camping abilities, the solar and battery power are great and the charge seems to last a long time. The ESP package is great with the larger wheels so you feel comfortable pulling her on rough roads. The power lift was great - no more cranking. Storage space was ample for the size. The grill and table that attach outside are nifty as is the LED awning lights. While a power awning would be awesome, the manual one worked quite well.
- Dixie, North Carolina

2021-06-03 2020 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 View Listings

Picked up our new clipper sport 106 in april of 2020. Everytime i have used the water tank and pump inside it leaks somewhere. One of the levelers would not fold up the second time i used it. The door track that is mounted inside had stripped screws, which are special screws. Had to grind the heads on a couple of bigger ones to fit in the track. The door is too heavy for the pinchy track, the track is now bending. The cables that lift it up and down have stuck already. The step that folds down to get in and out lost the bolts after our first trip. They are specially made and it took forever to get them. Pauls RVS by Green Bay,WI was absolutely no help, that is where i bought it. I finally got hold of a woman named Tammy from the factory, the only person that has helped me.She send me the bolts so i could use the camper again. There have been other issues also. Too many to remember. I bought this to enjoy my recent retirement but keeping this camper up is a full time job. VERY POOR QUALITY. Jim W. Waukesha,WI
- jim wilcox, Wisconsin

2021-06-02 2015 Aliner Aliner Expedition View Listings

We have the expedition with 2 soft dormers. You can’t beat it for ease of towing and we love the sense of space inside. At 19ft long you can fit just about anywhere, and when enroute we can park pretty easily in 2 spaces. We have had quite a few problems with the water heater and had to replace the a/c unit, but everything aliner made is still holding up well. We took out the microwave for more storage—it’s where the dry goods live when we are set up. I love all the outside storage. The huge windows are great for enjoying the out doors too. We pull it with a Toyota 4Runner.
- Christiana Logansmith, Maryland

2021-06-01 2016 Forest River Flagstaff T12DDST View Listings

First I would like to say we like our hard side popup. Easy to tow. Easy to setup. Nice floor plan and all the amenities. How with that said I will start by saying it is truly built like crap. I know it is cheap to purchase but it does not last very long. Every trip we would find a stray screw in the camper that came out somewhere. Microwave was not mounted properly. I removed it and re-screwed the brackets on. Radio would not stay attached. Removed and reinstalled properly. The bubble windows are a NIGHTMARE! After the 1st year they all leaked. Worst design in history! I replaced all 3 bubble windows and they leaked again after a year. Just a bad design. If I would purchase a new one I would delete the bubble window skylight windows. How I fixed them for now is I purchased a gallon of Flex seal clear paint. I applied to the entire window and sides. Looks like crap with no more leaks. Should I really need to do that? Had to re-screw the entire microwave cabinet back in place. 1.2 the screws they put in split the wood and caused it to come loose. I had to re-screw the cheap paneling on the side of the microwave cabinet as well as the sink area. Lots of the wiring under one dinette came undone because they where crimped but the wires where too short and pulled loose. I re-crimped and taped to stop them from pulling apart. Lots more but you get the idea. Are the Aliners built better? People say they are but they are double the price. If you are not handy do not purchase one. If you are and don't mind fixing things they are a decent value. Just buy new.
- Lenny Serrani, Pennsylvania

2021-05-26 2016 Starcraft Comet 1021 View Listings

Not worth a god damn cent. If you want anything electrical in your trailer dont use these. They couldn't wire a tv to an antenna straight. The water heater wasn't even hook together to even register on the board. Worthless hunk of crap.
- Taz, Idaho

2021-05-23 2021 Forest River Rockwood A214W View Listings

Just took delivery of a new 20' aframe. The technician went over all the features with us. Brought it home. I am 80 years old, my husband has had a stroke, but we loved all the features of this unit. Raising the roof was easy.I went to raise the side wall with the door. No way could I do it. My husband was strong enough to do it. But sometimes I set up at Flea markets and want to use the trailer by myself. Watched some utube videos where it showed a young girl going inside the door way, closed the bottom half of door, upper half stayed open and she used that to pull the wall up with it. I couldn't do it. So here's what I did. I put a towel down on the opposite wall to protect from wall laying on top of it. Then added one brick at a time (wooden blocks would do), to slightly raise the door wall. Got it up about a foot. Then a placed a crank up jack between the shower/commode countertop and the walk (this was down toward the end and slowly cranked up the jack just until it was too high where the jack go slip out. This raised that entire wall up high enough where I go get more toward the center and manually raise it up the rest of the way. Finally, got it up by itself. That wall is extremely heavy. Forest River should use hydraulics for the walls like they do the roofs.
- Mary Hughes, Ohio

2021-05-22 2015 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

2015 HW27SC, bought used,dealer did repairs thought all was fine? 2ND trip roof wouldn't raise, worked with toggle switch to manipulate, finally got it to work, stayed a week. Week before 3Rd trip

2021-05-17 2020 Aliner Ranger 12 View Listings

We have owned our A-liner Camper for nearly 5 years and it has been a delightful experience. When collapsed, the low profile allows you to take this unit off road with little difficulty without the typical twisting and torquing you get on typical campers. It has an astounding amount of headroom and the two of us never felt crowded. The unit is extremely easy to set up which can easily be done in less than three minutes and with little effort. Overall quality is quite good, but as with any camper, maintenance is important. What I was very happy with is the fridge running quite efficiently on propane which make dry camping so much easier. Never leaked although we were only caught in one downpour as we live in Arizona. At 1500 lbs it can be pulled by most small to mid size SUV and accessibility to anywhere you may want to go is likely. Overall, I would give A-Liner Ranger 12 a five star rating.
- John Underwood, Arizona

2021-05-04 2018 Forest River Flagstaff T21DMHW View Listings

Had a leak on one of the top corners , ended up fixing myself after leaving g it with the dealer for a month and a half, the lift actuator failed after 2 years. Seams like the moisture gets in the housing and ruins it. It should be a more reliable actuator. Maybe sealed better. I ordered a new one , but the point is they should last longer than that . Otherwise it's been a great hardside
- David schroeck, Ohio

2021-04-29 2018 Coachmen Clipper LS 107LS View Listings

We greatly enough our popup. Purchased new in 2018. Two camping trips that year, a getting to know the feel of the popup trips. Very easy set-up and break down. Tows well behind our dodge grand caravan. The refrigerator is more of a cooler, and you can not get a coffee cup under the sink faucet. The stove works well but is rather on the small side. No worries. The A/C will run you out as will the heater. Both work extremely well. This year we have added a reflective cover over the beds. It should keep it even cooler inside. We do all of our cooking outside, stove and fire, and have purchased a small refrigerator, which we set up outside under the awning. We also upped our game and purchased a fish cleaning table and portable grey water tank. Wash dishes outside. We have slept six in the popup comfortably. Storage is tight but less is more. We enjoy our popup and look forward to using it for many years to come.
- Robert Zollars, North Carolina

2021-04-17 2018 Jayco Jay Sport 12UD Baja View Listings

We've had a few small issues with this popup but nothing serious. The door is sometimes hard to pull down when closing the camper and a wire has fallen down from the roof and we had to fasten it back. Otherwise, it's been great. Heating and a/c work well, beds are comfortable once we replaced the underlying foam and it's easy to pull. The kitchen is easy enough to use but we mostly cook on the outdoor grill. The large dinette is great for our family of 4. We've driven it across the country and loved it.
- s. thompson, Michigan

2021-03-24 2008 Fleetwood Americana Williamsburg View Listings

This folding trailer is compact and yet feels roomy. It is comfortable and tows well. The materials hold up well. Fleetwood continues to put a lot of thought and know-how in all of their recreational vehicles.
- Robert S. Young, Nevada

2021-02-26 2013 Forest River Flagstaff HW29SC View Listings

Very easy popup to own - all the creature comforts, sleeps 6 easily, and folds up for towing/storage. The dual axle with brakes is a must for towing. Lots of storage for a popup. Really like the fresh/grey/black tanks and regular hookups, so no cassette potties to carry and dump. The shower works well.
- Doug, Iowa

2021-02-26 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

Update on a previous review. We have had our trailer now for one year. In the first year we had a few not many defects which were fixed by our dealership (Apache) in Tacoma, WA. There were some issues we had in operating things as in adjustments and our dealership helped with getting things to work right. I did get one modification done which in the long term will help. They moved the thermostat from the original position to under the sink. I purchased a cover to protect the thermostat. Being we are older adults some things are harder to do and this is why it was moved. It is very easy to set up and put down and is a well balance trailer when it comes to towing it. So far we have only put about a 1000 miles on our trailer due to the Covid restrictions. We was hoping of doing a longer trip last year it had to be canceled. We don't do much boon docking so I couldn't say how it works on just the battery. The company is really helpful when you have issues. I would recommend this brand trailer. As for holding up in the wet weather there were a few minor issues mainly around the door. The main thing I've learned is to make sure when you put it up that the roof panels should be locked in place. I would recommend that you get the wind bar kit installed. They help in raising the roof and hold the roof securely in high winds.
- Bob Z, Washington

2021-01-10 2020 Aliner Ranger 12 View Listings

New to the RV scene, my daughter and I just had a great roadtrip in this fabulous A-Liner! It is so easy to put up and take down. The size is deceiving - it is incredibly roomy inside. We added foam pads to the beds, making them super comfy. We absolutely LOVED camping this in this little guy!
- jodi, South Carolina

2020-12-14 2015 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

Has delivered above expectations to this point. Bought preowned so it needed slight fixes, the dealership accommodated above expectations. The trips so far have been great with the floor plan, amenities, and the towing is a dream. Usually I think about changes I would make in any camper, this being my 5th, but so far, I other than comfort items, I have not yet thought of changes needed. That says a lot for me. So far...

2020-10-21 2010 Jayco Select 141J View Listings

We bought this PUP in 2015 and love it! Ours has the shower/bath option, making this completely livable. There are king beds on both sides. It's impossible to even find a highwall with bath/shower and 2 kings anymore, which makes it hard for us to give ours up even with our 34TT. There's plenty of counter space and with a fridge/microwave/stove, it has everything we need. We did customize ours to add two golf cart batteries, great for dry camping. And it's easy to put up...we have it down to about 1/2 hour for full camp setup with both of us. Drawbacks...clothes storage but with two of us we store clothes on one bed and sleep on the other. And the floor is ugly. But I saw one unit where they replaced it with wood plank laminate and it was beautiful! It's also hard to find parts since Jayco was acquired and they no longer make PUPs. Fortunately, we've found some online and have McGyver'd some small fixes to make them work. Otherwise it's super fun to camp in...a tent experience with the amenities. We've easily pulled it with our Jeep Commander or our Ford F350. I only wish they'd make more!
- Janet S, Arizona

2020-10-06 2021 Coachmen Clipper Pop-up View Listings

Stay away from this camper. 10 days owned. outer grill doesn't attach to camper. Our dealer advices coachman co. General rv had seen several clipper models have this issue grill falls off side of camper. We have several water leaks inside and outside, no heat, canvas doesn't fit properly you have to use a small ladder to wrap around the poles. Bench bed is made with paneling. Refrigerator is cheaply made leaks inside after 24 hrs on. Pop out beds are tough to attach bars, outside outlet causes inside power outlets to shut off. Door is awkward to attach. This isn't a one person set up on this model. Feel like we bought a lemon 🍋 very disappointed with this coachman camper...
- Patricia McMenemy, Michigan