Folding Trailer

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Folding Trailer RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

joe April from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Aliner Aliner Scout View Listings

WE enjoy our Aliner Scout. It tows well and sets up quickly. A leak developed while towing the Aliner in the rain during the first year.For over 3 1/2 years we have been trying to get the leak fixed. The first authorized dealer fixed it 3 times and it still leaked. The second authorized dealer fixed it once and it still leaked. The factory then approved a repair utilizing an independent RV repair facility and they repaired it twice using Factory parts and it still leaks. I had to pay $110 for a portion of that repair. The factory is now recommending I take the Aliner back to the second authorized dealer(who already tried to fix it)and let them try again. I have towed the Aliner over 1,000 miles to the various repair facilities and I am not going to tow it another 400 plus miles for a fix by dealer who already tried to fix it once. I offered to fix it and release them from any further clains if they would pay for part of the repair up to $1,000. They refused. So now whenever we tow the Aliner and there is a possibility of rain we duct tape the area of the leak and protect the interior cushions.
- joe April, Florida

2021-10-05 2021 Forest River Rockwood HW296 View Listings

We searched a long time for this camper and were excited to find one and purchase it. The dealer we bought it from was a pleasure to deal with and when we picked it up there were a few items missing (cap for the sewer tube, 1 light, pantry and clothes pantry) and a poorly installed awning support (3' short of where it should be). The Dealer informed that it might take a while to get them but they would be in touch. After about 1 month of trying to get some details I finally contacted Rockwood. They were helpful in getting someone at the Dealer to speak with but once I was connected with that person they also stopped calling and emailing me back. I am more upset with the Dealers lack of response and lack of caring than I am with Rockwood. We have taken our camper on 2 trips and really enjoyed it but I am concerned about the lack of communication from the Dealer and Rockwood.
- Chris Durant, Pennsylvania

2021-09-16 2018 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1285SST View Listings

Bought new. Drawer glides held on by plastic stops that keep breaking. Shower curtain hanging supports are plastic and keep breaking. Threshold screws came loose and needed to be replaced. Two tires blew out; one ripped off the wheel well cover and cracked the side panel (which appears to be the thinnest plywood possible). One of the slide catches has never worked. Underneath is what appears to be painted fiberboard. It is exposed to the elements and whatever is coming up off of the road. It is starting to flake apart. Lock on the fantastic fan was plastic and broke. The awning didn't drain in the 1st rain event, and a pole broke. Can't replace just the pole, so I repaired with a wooden dowel and use a heavy c clamp on one side to make sure the awning drains. Plastic clips on the small bedside fans have all broken. Replacing with Velcro. Side mounted grill is secured by pins that are impossible to insert into the holes (poor design). Rusted parts that are not galvanized or otherwise protected against the weather. Brakes are starting to grab, getting those looked at next month. Bench seat that converts to sofa is made of what appears to be balsa wood; I am surprised it hasn't broken yet. Overall, this pop-up has a lot of room, and if built better would be awesome. It is unfortunate that the build quality is so poor. If I could do it all over again, it would not be anything built by forest river (Rockwood, coachmen, etc).
- Brent Crane, North Carolina

2021-09-07 2018 Forest River Flagstaff T21DMHW View Listings

The hard side a-frame is a bad design. The actuator motor will burn out every 1-2 years. Sooner the better if you want Flagstaff to replace it. The bubble plastic window on the roof will leak. Flagstaff suggests getting it inspected at a dealer every 6 months. They know it will leak. When the dealer finds the leak - you will pay for it. You will also pay to have all the water intrusion damage fixed. Moldy mattress-rotten wood, etc. Flagstaff does not stand behind this product. They understand its awful. I gave it the lowest score because its a bad product. It failed dramatically in 2 years. That is its usable lifespan before its being repaired constantly.
- Chris Dooley, Georgia

2021-09-02 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

Since our last review some more things to add both good and not so. It has been a good trailer to tow and set up (even with health issues). It is comfortable to sleep in. There are a few things I've adjusted for ease of use including as mentioned in earlier review. Thermost was moved and it has been easier to use now from where it use to be. I also too k the microwave out of its cabinet and utilized the space for other things to store. All the microwave is, is a table top unit with a grille screwed on to it. I've come up with storage (being there is lack of). As for ongoing issue since last review the Dometic fridge has lost its AC (110 volt) side of the fridge. It still works on DC and gas. So when camping season is over I will take it back in to get it fixed again. So other than the issues I feel it has been a decent trailer which unless people are asking questions about only takes about a minute to put up.
- Robert Zink, Washington

2021-09-02 2005 Fleetwood Highlander Niagara View Listings

I have never once had to bring this unit in for warranty work. The initial price was wrong and fair market value is $10,200 based upon similar research and size. She is big, and towing it has a stability bar extra point of contact and control. Backing up is easy. and closing is very simple. The Heater and the Water Tank are also a plus for Fall and remote camping for sink and potable water.
- Mike, Illinois

2021-08-30 2017 Jayco Jay Sport 8SD View Listings

I have had my camper for 4 years, I bought my jayco8sd new and have experienced friendly dealers willing to help with my first RV purchase. My family enjoys the outdoor camping experience with this well equipped pop up camper.
- Happy camper, Illinois

2021-08-08 2013 TrailManor TrailManor 3124KS View Listings

This is our third Trailmanor. First was a bit too small, second a bit too big, like Goldilocks this unit is just right. Tows low and light. We tow with 6 Cylinder Toyota 4Runner. Gas mileage is great - 100 miles towing takes about 1 gallon more than regular driving. Love that it is fully hard sided. No sway issues and unit does not get blown around on highway. We have a great weight distributing hitch to keep things level. Plenty of room for the two of us. King bed, full kitchen - stove, fridge, sink, hot water, etc. Newly installed flushing toilet. Couch converts to a small second bed. Lots of storage, wardrobe, etc. Tows at 24' so fits into lots of smaller campsites. Solar panels and Lithium battery make boon docking a breeze. There is a great Trailmanor Fans area on Facebook and a Trailmanor Owners website with tons of resources/information. Factory website is great and they are very responsive when needed.
- Paul Moulton, Ontario

2021-08-06 2017 Jayco Jay Sport 12UD View Listings

We purchased our "NEW" travel trailer, April 2017 from Traveland in Langley, BC. On the first camping trip the full front door would not fit onto the frame correctly. As we were out on a trip we put up with the discomfort of insects inside and returned it to the dealer for repairs on the way home. The dealership had it for 6 weeks and when we picked it up they told us they had repaired the small travel door and we should have no further problems. Not only did they "repair" the wrong door, but they were proud that of what they had done. This went on for 3 years, fixing things that were not broken. This last time they ACTUALLY tried to fix the correct door. We went to pick it up only to find the bottom section of the frame was not secured to the door, PLUS we had a hole in the awning. I have now decided to either purchase a complete new awning and door, given the alternative of a new trailer. THIS TIME IT WON'T BE A JAYCO AND TRAVELAND WILL NEVER SEE ME AGAIN. I doubt they could repair their way out of a wet paper bag.
- John B. Reynolds, British Columbia

2021-07-21 2013 Aliner Aliner Classic View Listings

This little popup was my first experience with towing a camper and setting up a campsite all by myself. It is very easy to tow and maneuver. There is three sources of power in this little mighty camper. You can run off electric, propane or battery power. So if you want to go off grid you are able. There is plenty of room for a family of 4 or 2 couples traveling together. Because you can tow it with a full size SUV there is plenty of room for passengers in the tow vehicle and sleeping in the A-liner. There are several A-Liner facebook groups for ideas and support, for all things Aliner, repairs, decorating and maintenance.
- Cheryl Atkins, Florida

2021-07-12 2019 Coachmen Clipper 806XLS View Listings

I purchased this trailer new in November, 2019. One of the main reasons I bought this trailer was the advertised ability to raise the roof using a drill with the supplied bit. Imagine my disappointment when I was told by the dealer when I picked up the trailer to never, ever use a drill to raise or lower the roof. They told me they have done countless repairs on the lift system because the gear in the lift mechanism cannot handle the strain. On my second trip, the door literally fell off as I was driving. One of the bolts that secures the door/step to the frame fell out. I called the 1 800 support number to find out the size of the bolt so I could look for a replacement. They had no idea. I had to unhook the trailer, drive into the nearest town and buy three bolts, hoping one of them would fit. When I got back, I called the dealer and was told that it would take two weeks to repair. They did give me the name of a retailer that sold the correct size and style bolt, and I made the repair myself. On another trip, the bracket that holds the sliding bed mechanism broke. One of the large rivets literally broke off. I had to buy a rivet gun and the rivets to repair it. On another trip, the GFCI went bad and I could not use either of the 110 outlets for the remainder of my trip. I had to track down the correct GFCI replacement and repair it myself. Over the last several months, numerous screws and bolts have loosened and fallen out. I have had to replace several screws with slightly larger ones to insure a secure fit. The liner on the ceiling has been torn by the screen door during travel, and the list goes on. It seems like every time I take it out, I have another repair to look forward to. I believe the trailer was manufactured here in America. Well honestly, I am seriously disappointed in the lack of quality.
- Tony, Arizona

2021-07-02 2020 TrailManor TrailManor 2720QS View Listings

The overall design of the camper is very good. It will fit in an ordinary garage, so paying storage fees is not necessary. Pulls well when pulling the camper. overall, I am impressed with the camper and the idea of a hard shell instead of a screen.
- Dave Koen, Minnesota

2021-06-28 2015 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

Firstly, I purchased my unit pre-owned from a dealership. The dealership experience is a separate issue, but my FR experience I will describe that is FR only. I found an inexpensive "standard" equipment item that was never installed, and the CS agent told me that I am not the original owner so FR is not obligated to send me the part because it was missed in the delivery to the original owner. Then, I had a major winch failure and the new electric winch (required to lift and lower the roof) that is a KNOWN equipment failure was ordered and told that it was in stock and would ship within 3 days, it took 7 weeks to arrive. The rudeness of the customer service rep and the lies of the shipping department is the cause of this review. The bad thing is that the unit itself is terrific for functionality, design, ease of use, etc. The disappointing part of this is that FR is a horrible customer experience. If I was as non-responsive to my clients as FR is to their buyers, I would lose my license.
- Todd Young, North Carolina

2021-06-24 2020 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 View Listings

Problems from day 1, leaked water when we filled and used the pump and tank before using it for the first time. The bolt holding the step and door fell out the first time using it. One of the levelers would not retract the second time using it. The cable for lowering and raising it has stuck three times, we've used it four times. The screws for the door track have come out and the track sags.The first time using it this year 2021 the awning poles would not lock, never buy a Dometic awning their service people are impossible to deal with. All in all i recommend not buying a Forest River RV product. Jim W.
- james wilcox, Wisconsin

2021-06-08 2019 Black Series Black Series Patron View Listings

This Patron Popup camper can go anywhere, and if you enjoy the outdoors this is a lot of family fun. We have loaded out mountain bikes on the back, on top-mounted our paddleboards and kayaks. This unit can go to the most remote lakes high up in the mountains.
- Laura, Utah

2021-06-08 2018 Forest River Rockwood Hard Side High Wall A214HW View Listings

This was a great little camper for my husband and I, tiny living at its best. I take it out on my own and set it up no problem. Although, I wish I would have seen the reviews about the Actuator, We are on our 3rd one, they run out in about a year and a half, after the warranty wears off. My husband took the motor apart, it had water in it and had rusted. If I would have seen a review about this known problem, I would have picked a different camper Good Luck
- Kay Potland, Minnesota

2021-06-08 2021 Forest River Rockwood 1970ESP View Listings

Liked the floor plan, when open has a surprising amount of room for a small 15' popup. There are some design flaws though. The couch backrest has to fold up and the bed slide has to be 100% out or it can't go up. Even when the slide is out, it is tight and scrapes against the rail. The popup kitchen cabinet stove/sink is incredibly heavy and you can't really lift it with the handle provided, you need a second person lifting from the middle. You have to plug the A/C in with a power cord BEFORE you lift the top - can't tell you how many times you can forget that and you would have to bring the top back down or get a ladder. Same with the awning, you have to decide before you lift the top whether you will be using it. Didn't come with a battery shut off switch so there are power vampires everywhere that will suck the battery dry and then you are stuck without the ability to lift or retract the top. I think there is a way to manually crank it but it looks difficult to get to. The hitch is too short, even extended to its fullest we have to use at least a 6" block to get it up and over our ball hitch. The fridge is tiny but at least has a fridge. We bought this new and perhaps the canvas is too new and hasn't stretched out but it is very very difficult to get the canvas push out bars where the beds slide out to lock into the notch. Overall, this is difficult to set up with one person. For the positives: awesome dry camping abilities, the solar and battery power are great and the charge seems to last a long time. The ESP package is great with the larger wheels so you feel comfortable pulling her on rough roads. The power lift was great - no more cranking. Storage space was ample for the size. The grill and table that attach outside are nifty as is the LED awning lights. While a power awning would be awesome, the manual one worked quite well.
- Dixie, North Carolina

2021-06-03 2020 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 View Listings

Picked up our new clipper sport 106 in april of 2020. Everytime i have used the water tank and pump inside it leaks somewhere. One of the levelers would not fold up the second time i used it. The door track that is mounted inside had stripped screws, which are special screws. Had to grind the heads on a couple of bigger ones to fit in the track. The door is too heavy for the pinchy track, the track is now bending. The cables that lift it up and down have stuck already. The step that folds down to get in and out lost the bolts after our first trip. They are specially made and it took forever to get them. Pauls RVS by Green Bay,WI was absolutely no help, that is where i bought it. I finally got hold of a woman named Tammy from the factory, the only person that has helped me.She send me the bolts so i could use the camper again. There have been other issues also. Too many to remember. I bought this to enjoy my recent retirement but keeping this camper up is a full time job. VERY POOR QUALITY. Jim W. Waukesha,WI
- jim wilcox, Wisconsin

2021-06-02 2015 Aliner Aliner Expedition View Listings

We have the expedition with 2 soft dormers. You can’t beat it for ease of towing and we love the sense of space inside. At 19ft long you can fit just about anywhere, and when enroute we can park pretty easily in 2 spaces. We have had quite a few problems with the water heater and had to replace the a/c unit, but everything aliner made is still holding up well. We took out the microwave for more storage—it’s where the dry goods live when we are set up. I love all the outside storage. The huge windows are great for enjoying the out doors too. We pull it with a Toyota 4Runner.
- Christiana Logansmith, Maryland

2021-06-01 2016 Forest River Flagstaff T12DDST View Listings

First I would like to say we like our hard side popup. Easy to tow. Easy to setup. Nice floor plan and all the amenities. How with that said I will start by saying it is truly built like crap. I know it is cheap to purchase but it does not last very long. Every trip we would find a stray screw in the camper that came out somewhere. Microwave was not mounted properly. I removed it and re-screwed the brackets on. Radio would not stay attached. Removed and reinstalled properly. The bubble windows are a NIGHTMARE! After the 1st year they all leaked. Worst design in history! I replaced all 3 bubble windows and they leaked again after a year. Just a bad design. If I would purchase a new one I would delete the bubble window skylight windows. How I fixed them for now is I purchased a gallon of Flex seal clear paint. I applied to the entire window and sides. Looks like crap with no more leaks. Should I really need to do that? Had to re-screw the entire microwave cabinet back in place. 1.2 the screws they put in split the wood and caused it to come loose. I had to re-screw the cheap paneling on the side of the microwave cabinet as well as the sink area. Lots of the wiring under one dinette came undone because they where crimped but the wires where too short and pulled loose. I re-crimped and taped to stop them from pulling apart. Lots more but you get the idea. Are the Aliners built better? People say they are but they are double the price. If you are not handy do not purchase one. If you are and don't mind fixing things they are a decent value. Just buy new.
- Lenny Serrani, Pennsylvania

2021-05-26 2016 Starcraft Comet 1021 View Listings

Not worth a god damn cent. If you want anything electrical in your trailer dont use these. They couldn't wire a tv to an antenna straight. The water heater wasn't even hook together to even register on the board. Worthless hunk of crap.
- Taz, Idaho

2021-05-23 2021 Forest River Rockwood A214W View Listings

Just took delivery of a new 20' aframe. The technician went over all the features with us. Brought it home. I am 80 years old, my husband has had a stroke, but we loved all the features of this unit. Raising the roof was easy.I went to raise the side wall with the door. No way could I do it. My husband was strong enough to do it. But sometimes I set up at Flea markets and want to use the trailer by myself. Watched some utube videos where it showed a young girl going inside the door way, closed the bottom half of door, upper half stayed open and she used that to pull the wall up with it. I couldn't do it. So here's what I did. I put a towel down on the opposite wall to protect from wall laying on top of it. Then added one brick at a time (wooden blocks would do), to slightly raise the door wall. Got it up about a foot. Then a placed a crank up jack between the shower/commode countertop and the walk (this was down toward the end and slowly cranked up the jack just until it was too high where the jack go slip out. This raised that entire wall up high enough where I go get more toward the center and manually raise it up the rest of the way. Finally, got it up by itself. That wall is extremely heavy. Forest River should use hydraulics for the walls like they do the roofs.
- Mary Hughes, Ohio

2021-05-22 2015 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

2015 HW27SC, bought used,dealer did repairs thought all was fine? 2ND trip roof wouldn't raise, worked with toggle switch to manipulate, finally got it to work, stayed a week. Week before 3Rd trip
- Todd Young, North Carolina

2021-05-17 2020 Aliner Ranger 12 View Listings

We have owned our A-liner Camper for nearly 5 years and it has been a delightful experience. When collapsed, the low profile allows you to take this unit off road with little difficulty without the typical twisting and torquing you get on typical campers. It has an astounding amount of headroom and the two of us never felt crowded. The unit is extremely easy to set up which can easily be done in less than three minutes and with little effort. Overall quality is quite good, but as with any camper, maintenance is important. What I was very happy with is the fridge running quite efficiently on propane which make dry camping so much easier. Never leaked although we were only caught in one downpour as we live in Arizona. At 1500 lbs it can be pulled by most small to mid size SUV and accessibility to anywhere you may want to go is likely. Overall, I would give A-Liner Ranger 12 a five star rating.
- John Underwood, Arizona

2021-05-04 2018 Forest River Flagstaff T21DMHW View Listings

Had a leak on one of the top corners , ended up fixing myself after leaving g it with the dealer for a month and a half, the lift actuator failed after 2 years. Seams like the moisture gets in the housing and ruins it. It should be a more reliable actuator. Maybe sealed better. I ordered a new one , but the point is they should last longer than that . Otherwise it's been a great hardside
- David schroeck, Ohio