Folding Trailer Reviews on RV Insider (99)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Folding Trailer RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

joe April from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Aliner Aliner Scout View Listings

WE enjoy our Aliner Scout. It tows well and sets up quickly. A leak developed while towing the Aliner in the rain during the first year.For over 3 1/2 years we have been trying to get the leak fixed. The first authorized dealer fixed it 3 times and it still leaked. The second authorized dealer fixed it once and it still leaked. The factory then approved a repair utilizing an independent RV repair facility and they repaired it twice using Factory parts and it still leaks. I had to pay $110 for a portion of that repair. The factory is now recommending I take the Aliner back to the second authorized dealer(who already tried to fix it)and let them try again. I have towed the Aliner over 1,000 miles to the various repair facilities and I am not going to tow it another 400 plus miles for a fix by dealer who already tried to fix it once. I offered to fix it and release them from any further clains if they would pay for part of the repair up to $1,000. They refused. So now whenever we tow the Aliner and there is a possibility of rain we duct tape the area of the leak and protect the interior cushions.
- joe April, Florida

2020-10-21 2010 Jayco Select 141J View Listings

We bought this PUP in 2015 and love it! Ours has the shower/bath option, making this completely livable. There are king beds on both sides. It's impossible to even find a highwall with bath/shower and 2 kings anymore, which makes it hard for us to give ours up even with our 34TT. There's plenty of counter space and with a fridge/microwave/stove, it has everything we need. We did customize ours to add two golf cart batteries, great for dry camping. And it's easy to put up...we have it down to about 1/2 hour for full camp setup with both of us. Drawbacks...clothes storage but with two of us we store clothes on one bed and sleep on the other. And the floor is ugly. But I saw one unit where they replaced it with wood plank laminate and it was beautiful! It's also hard to find parts since Jayco was acquired and they no longer make PUPs. Fortunately, we've found some online and have McGyver'd some small fixes to make them work. Otherwise it's super fun to camp in...a tent experience with the amenities. We've easily pulled it with our Jeep Commander or our Ford F350. I only wish they'd make more!
- Janet S, Arizona

2020-10-06 2021 Coachmen Clipper Pop-up View Listings

Stay away from this camper. 10 days owned. outer grill doesn't attach to camper. Our dealer advices coachman co. General rv had seen several clipper models have this issue grill falls off side of camper. We have several water leaks inside and outside, no heat, canvas doesn't fit properly you have to use a small ladder to wrap around the poles. Bench bed is made with paneling. Refrigerator is cheaply made leaks inside after 24 hrs on. Pop out beds are tough to attach bars, outside outlet causes inside power outlets to shut off. Door is awkward to attach. This isn't a one person set up on this model. Feel like we bought a lemon 🍋 very disappointed with this coachman camper...
- Patricia McMenemy, Michigan

2020-09-21 2019 Forest River Rockwood Premier High Wall HW277 View Listings

We bought a 2019 Rockwood HW277 in November 2019. Due to Covid-19, we have only been out in it twice. The trailer is roomy, comfortable and well-appointed. There is much we like about the trailer. However, there are a number of things that were unexpected and one was a safety issue. 1. The exterior slide-out kitchen drew out more than the outdoor sink and two-burner stove. Every time we pulled it out, sawdust came with it. When we removed the covers on the inside, we realized that the construction debris had never been cleaned out. Sawdust lay thick on the bottom of the slide-out cabinet. 2. The water flow to the sink and shower was poor. When we opened the cabinet where the water pump was installed, we found a mess of wires and hoses tangled together. The water supply hose was kinked at the pump discharge, restricting the flow. 3. The rear wall of the rear storage cupboard, opposite the washroom, had become detached and fallen down inside the cabinet. When reattaching it, we noticed that the copper tube supplying propane to the furnace was also kinked. Fortunately, it did not seem to impact the furnace operation but does need to be addressed. 4. The bunk end pull strap at the rear of the trailer was improperly installed. The screw securing the strap was installed close to the edge of the webbing and gave way when the bunk was being pulled out. This caused my wife to have a painful fall on our driveway, resulting in an injured hip, hand and forearm. Although not serious, her injuries have taken some weeks to heal. We reported this safety issue to Rockwood and they advised us to add a second screw and washer. We felt this was a totally inadequate solution as it could easily happen again. The screw punctures the nylon pull strap, weakening it. Be on guard regarding the pull strap. 5. The pneumatic cylinder on the slide-out kitchen was installed improperly. It failed before our first outing. This was due to the cylinder rod and mounting bracket hitting the elbow that passes through the trailer floor from the outdoor sink. 6. We are constantly finding random nuts and screws on the counters and floor that seems to appear from nowhere after travel or even opening it on the driveway. We hope they are not important! We did not expect a new trailer would present the number of issues that we have had. We had none of these with our previous pop-up trailers - a Starcraft and a Coleman Fleetwood.
- David Culham, Ontario

2020-09-15 2017 Aliner Aliner Scout View Listings

Purchased it in March 2018 from Imperial RV in St-George, Ontario (went bankrupt!). I wanted a really basic, easy to put up solid wall camper to take into the back country for really bare essentials camping (experienced outdoorsman, don’t need any toys when I camp). Spent more on this than on my last (new) car, and I’m retired on a very small partial pension, so this has been a serious disappointment, and I can’t afford the costly repairs needed. My conclusions: light, easy to put up
- Dan Martin, Ontario

2020-09-15 2016 Starcraft Comet Hardside H1232MD View Listings

Bought new. We have had 3 rear roof windows replaced and 2 forward windows replaced because of leaks. The rear one is leaking again. Stored in garage over winter. 98% of travel on pavement. Disappointed in the build. Cheaply made. Dealership and manufacturer tossing responsibility for repairs back and forth. It has cost Us lots to fix. Unit has been used 8 to 10 times with one long trip. It does tow well, looks great and has handy features But they do not make up for the fact that the basics aren’t good. It makes an expensive spare bedroom and it has to be covered with a tarp! We will never buy Starcraft/Jayco again.
- Ken, British Columbia

2020-09-09 2019 Forest River Flagstaff SE 206STSE View Listings

The Flagstaff tent trailer is built with quality and rugged for wilderness camping/off road. It is easy to set-up and take-down, my wife & I can do it in under 30 minutes.The beds are large n very comfortable. They have an electric blanket type heating pad built in to mattress for fall/winter camping.The outdoor BBQ that attached to wall & table shelf make it easy to cook steaks/burgers, etc. outside & plug-in electric skillet for bacon/potatoes/pancakes, etc. Since we often camp with friends it is nice to be able to socialize while cooking outdoors and the clean-up is a snap. There are plenty of windows to zip open for let in fresh air and cool off on summer days. The roof fan and attachable fan to bed post allow you to blow hot air out the roof. The front cargo box is a great option that allows us to conveniently store folding camp chairs, large outdoor rug, shore power chord, hoses, gray water bucket, chocks, blocks, drill, hand wrench to raise/lower jacks to level. This trailer has the heavy duty frame, suspension n rugged tires to allow you to camp off road in natioanl forests, wilderness and get a break from the more crowded state parks where your neighbors are a lot closer.
- Bruce Seiler, Oregon

2020-09-07 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

Very pleased with this camper. Easy to set up, lots of space for the size. Can tow easily with just about anything, in my case an Subaru STI. Quality and comfort in a small pop up camper. Used it over a dozen times this year, not one issue.
- Darren H, Wisconsin

2020-08-18 2015 Forest River Rockwood Freedom 1910 View Listings

1. There is no product support offered in Santa Rosa, CA. The dealer no longer does "servicing." 2. three years of mold accumulation 3. poor quality of construction. This past week I had to have a short in the electrical system to the dome lights. The electrician showed me the way wiring was done under the kitchen unit. Electrical wires wrapped around the sink drain hose, the wire involved was not a continuous wire but sections spliced together, and wires threaded up the corner lifter arms and not protected from pinching when the roof is lowered, and finally the hose to drain the sink is split off because it is just the right length thus not a bit longer to allow for flexibility when setting the kitchen unit up and down. Sloppy, cutting corners, poor workmanship. These words describe your product. Disappointed and lied to,
- Shirley Davis, California

2020-08-12 2018 Forest River Rockwood ESP 2280BHESP View Listings

This camper has been a nightmare since day 1. It has been a lightly used garage kept unit since we bought it but it shows wear like it has been beaten and heavily used. Problems with rust and we had not even owed it two years, undercarriage is rusting and the powder coating appears to be wearing though. The electrical system has problems. Example, I camped less than 2 weeks last year and the unit ate 3 batteries of which the service representative said that was normal. I can charge it and drive an hour to a campsite and the batter is dead or will die within minutes of turning on a single light. The cassette toilet on our last trip leaked, do I have to paint a picture for that? Curtains are fraying like we housed a wildcat in the unit. The support under the bunks pop out if weigh shifts, sending my seven year old nearly rolling out of the canvas. Overall poor quality given how it has held up to taking up space in my garage. Upside is that it handles well, no swaying and the factory lift (offroad camper) makes it was to get into some amazing Idaho campsites. In comparison this is my third folding camper- I miss Coleman (that should tell you something).
- John Huffer, Idaho

2020-08-08 2020 Forest River Flagstaff MAC 206LTD View Listings

“Garbage” pretty much sums it up. We have had 6 warranty claims in the first 2 months. 1. Travel door dented from the factory 2. Plastic corner caps by door cracked 3. Fans x2 missing from factory 4. Water tank leaking from the factory 5. Wiring running through wall left open to air and never sealed up (water leak) 6. Wench cover cracked from factory 7. Trailer light cables cut in half from dealer 8. All canvas interior screws popped out which we had to replace 9. Hole in slider bunk canvas from the dealer 10. Canvas installed twisted so it’s tight on one side and loose on the other 11. AC unit Freon leak caused freezing up and no cold air to blow out 12. Floor detached from sidewall and sunlight showed through 13. Door brace screws came out of ceiling As far as other issues, the storage design is poor and there is minimal storage compared to my previous pop up due to wasted space everywhere; Fans and bunk lights only work when main lights Are all on so no fans or bunk lights at night unless you want to wake up the whole camper; beds flatten to nothing and had to be covered with memory foam; power cable isn’t a standard connection type that most RV dealers carry so when your cord melts you can’t replace it on a trip (this was a nightmare); curtain tracks were screwed on with screws blocking the ability to slide the curtains open and closed.....need I say more? THE WORST CRAFTSMANSHIP I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. To make it worse, Forest River customer service will not return calls or emails and refuses to replace the brand new camper we paid $10k for and have used 6 times total but ZERO times without a major disaster. I will NEVER buy from these lazy crooks again and will do my best to ensure every camping site gets a review posted. This whole experience has been heartbreaking for my family and nothing but a total disaster. Anyone want to buy a brand new piece of junk that you have to work on daily during every camping trip? Didn’t think so. We got screwed.
- Brittany MacQuarrie, Missouri

2020-08-07 2020 Coachmen Clipper Sport 106 View Listings

The warranty division should be abolished considering the amount of help they give. The first time using this camper the door/step would not open. Crawling underneath i found that the bolt holding one side had fallen out somewhere. To get a new bolt,it is specific for the step, i called at least five numbers before i could get any help. I did have to call back a few times before i finally spoke to someone. The dealer in Wisconsin, Pauls trailer and rv Morrison, WI.,is useless. I called and left messages for Paul,who never returned a phone call. I called back and finally got in touch with him. He said he would handle it,nothing. He told me to handle it myself and gave me a number to call, wrong number.Many other issues,no more room to write.
- jim wilcox, Wisconsin

2020-08-03 2021 Coachmen Clipper 12XL View Listings

Long list of issues,water leak,roof problems,refrigerator ,door,lack of support,run around on phone to talk to somebody,then told may be along time to get repaired,who's going to make payments while I can't use it?
- Bryan Green, Missouri

2020-07-21 2020 Forest River Flagstaff MAC 206LTD View Listings

We purchased a 2020 Flagstaff Mac 206LTD from Camping World of Kansas City in June of 2020. The camper is the perfect size for our family of 4 and we were looking for something light that we could pull with our 392 Dodge Charger Daytona. When we were going through the walk trough before taking home with us we noticed the following issues. 1. Door that you use to drive down the road was dented 2. Cable for trailer lighting was ripped and needed replaced 3. Missing fans that install on the ceiling 4. Plastic grey cap that goes on the aluminum rail was cracked 5. Could see daylight through floor under front seat by table. The ran wires through the floor and didn't seal it 6. The wires that come trough the wall of trailer and goes to the ceiling lights the plug was loose and not sealed so water would have got in and rotted trailer 7. The outside siding on the left front of the trailer could be pushed in and out wasn't attached properly 8. Cover for the electric winch was cracked 9. Water holding tank was leaking inside trailer I contacted Camping World of Kansas City and they submitted everything under warranty. They took care of all the smaller and easy items on the list. When it came to the outer siding on the left front that was a whole other story. They said they would order the black plastic strip that goes along the frame, remove it, staple siding on, install new plastic strip and caulk. Nope they put a screw right through the siding above the plastic strip without asking if I would approve of that. The problem with putting a screw into the siding is possible water intrusion over time rotting the trailer out. Not only that it looks really bad. After taking a 1800 mile round trip to Michigan and back to Kansas City the issues became worse. There's a metal plate that holds the door up while driving. All the screws fell out. Then the canvas was put on crooked and didn't line up properly. Screws started falling out everywhere. So instead of relying on poor repair facilities I took the screws out purchased new screws with more grip, glue and re-installed screws. We haven't had an issue since I replaced and glued all the screws. The worst part is I contacted Forest River and was told to email fyoder@forestriverinc.com. I did so on 7-1-2020 expressing my concerns however no response. I emailed again on 7-7-2020 forwarding the original email and asked "Curious if you received my email"? Fred Yoder emailed me "Yes I did get your email". That's all I received and haven't had a phone call or follow up email since. Conclusion the trailer is nice looking but quality and workmanship is very poor. If you're willing to do the work and repair your brand new trailer then this is an inexpensive trailer for you but plan on repairing yourself if you want it done right.
- Jon MacQuarrie, Missouri

2020-07-19 2016 Forest River Flagstaff MAC 206ST View Listings

We are the 2nd owners of our Flagstaff MAC 206ST. The previous owner only used the tent trailer a few times and always was in a covered garage. Overall, in excellent condition and easy to use and maintain. We had the trailer serviced prior to our 1st trip and it checked out perfectly. We added a 2nd battery since we would be dry camping for 2 weeks in 3 National Parks; Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Bryce Canyon. Trailer was easy to tow with our Ford Explorer and we had ZERO issues or problems. Very comfortable and used a port-a-pottie at night instead of walking to the camp bathrooms. A couple of things we added to make it more comfortable was the hanging pantry, upgraded the mattress with a pillow top and pop-up gizmos tp pEverything was great and ready to go again!
- Joan Bonvicini, Arizona

2020-07-18 2016 Forest River Flagstaff Hard Side High Wall T21TBHW View Listings

Great camper for a couple or small family. The floor plan is great with a lot of space. We were able to get into every spot we wanted. Great beginning camper. This camper is very easy to haul. I would highly recommend.
- Karen Reese, Arizona

2020-07-08 2017 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

When you buy a travel trailer - unless you are buying high end (even some high ends) you are buying a cheaply built item. So I of course go into my pop up with that expectation. I was sold on the HW27SC for the sleeping space, the livable space with the slide out and the extra seating instead of the outdoor kitchen. I have owned it for 3.5 years now and I really like the functionality/livability of it. It tows like a dream behind my 2018 F150 (5.0 V8) - was suprised at how smooth after previous 1984 Coleman pop up (lol). Quality is low. Had a water filter leak which got the wood floors wet - had to replace half of the floor board which was a $9,000 job thankfully covered by state farm with a $250 deductible wew... now 3.5 years in some of the valves are starting to drip (fresh water exit valve drips constantly and water pipe exit valves in the back drip constantly and they don't come all the way out of the camper so it gets the floor wet). Several little brackets etc break off. I'm taking a weekend here soon just to do some TLC upkeep to fix a lot of it. Again most of this is to be expected and if you are at least a little handy you can fix yourself. No regrets on this purchase (thanks to insurance coverage) and I feel like I got what I paid for. Next camper will check more boxes but i think i have 3-5 years left with this one. Family of 5 works great!
- Chase, Texas

2020-07-05 2013 Forest River Rockwood High Wall Premier 296 View Listings

This has been a great starter RV for my family. We traveled to four National Parks in it, all the way as far as Yellowstone. Every place we stopped and set up camp, people were amazed at the size of this pop up camper. Many called it "a pop up on steroids"! The king size slide was perfect for my husband and me, and my teen age daughter slept on the queen size slide and my teenage son slept on the dinette folded down to a bed. Very easy to switch from table and booth, to a bed. We rented movies from Red Boxes along the way and watched movies at night. Played games at the table and cooked inside the camper and used the external grill to make burgers one night. One thing we never used was the wet bath/toilet. We just used campground bath houses. So, they are still BRAND NEW! Never been set up or used. We used the camper for five years, twice a year, and have fond memories. Now that the kids have gone to college and are moving on, it's time to sell this camper to another family to create their own memories! We hope you love it as much as we have.
- Donna Seymour, Maryland

2020-07-02 2013 Coachmen Clipper 108ST View Listings

This was a left over from dealership it was not taken care of very well parts falling apart in side trailer trim prices door fell apart dealer fixed lasted one year leaked in front storage plastic material cracked over winter even being covered dealer fixed first one lasted one year wench to lift top jams often overall low quality materials
- Ron Patrick, New Hampshire

2020-06-30 2018 Forest River Rockwood Freedom ESP 1970ESP View Listings

The trailer itself is nice and fun to camp in. My main problem is with the cheap foreign components used in the charging system. Rockwood is aware of a fundamental problem that exists with the converter charger, which causes battery's to overcharge and boil, yet they refuse to honor their warranty when it fails. They have found excuses to void their warranty every time i have contacted them. This is a critical system and the problem is easily preventable by using higher quality components.
- Dusty, Utah

2020-06-30 2018 Aspen Quality Trailers Aspen Classic View Listings

We bought our Aspen Classic to tour Alaska because we were afraid our older GMC motorhome would have problems. Our regular car is a Toyota Camry which was not approved for towing so we went searching for the smallest, lightest camper we could find. We had seen An Aspen Classic on one of our camping trips and were intrigued. Designed to be towed by any motorcycle 750cc or larger, the Aspen Classic was what we needed. We searched for a used one but ended up buying a new one. It turned out to be one of the best purchases we have ever made as campers. It tows beautifully, even a Smart Car would hardly know it's back there. With 25 cubic feet of storage, it held everything we wanted to take, including a portable toilet. We got most of the options and even though it rained A LOT in Alaska we had lots of room both inside and outside to enjoy. Our only complaints were that the king size mattress is a little thin and we may replace it with an air mattress, and the leveling jacks are a little long to use for some campsites. It was a joy to get somewhere and after 20 minutes of setup we had supper on the stove and an adult beverage in our hands. It takes some practice to be fast but with two people who have done it some, in two minutes you can be out of the rain and finished in ten minutes. We seldom felt the need to hurry that much. We have camped places where 200 mosquitoes could find your arm in seconds and after set-up lounged in complete comfort, without a single bite. It's satisfyingly tight. More than once we've had two inches of rain overnight and been snug and dry. So, if you want to take tent camping to the next level with a full watertight floor, sleeping off the ground on a king-size bed and a nicely sized stand up room, you should look closely at an Aspen Classic if you can find one. The amazing amount of storage and easy towing are nice bonuses. Look them over at aspenqualitytrailers.com
- Douglas Smith, Nebraska

2020-06-15 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

Ever since my first review things have been getting better. The door issues I had in January 2020 are no more. A few adjustments to prevent the quarter window from moving outward when closing solved with a stick on chair glide next to the window on the inside. Came up with storage ideas which I shared on some of the Aliner groups on Facebook. Since the pandemic thing have been out a couple times so far with more places planned. The extreme off road package helps with towing because of tire size (15 inch tires). The only thing I added was to make stairs that made it easier to go in and stepping back out. The only thing is the area around the couch where they put the thermostat. It makes it hard to get to when you make the couch into a bed. The Cool Cat A/c and heat pump work well but are a little noisy but I heard this is normal. So far being we live in a wet climate (below the Olympic Rain Forest) I have not noticed any leaks. It seems to be very air tight. As for condensation the only places is on the windows during the night. The other thing is the table leg we got (which I plan on changing) is the type has the turn lock at the bottom has attendency of coming loose when you move the table to sit down and it wobbles when you go to get up. Overall it is a great trailer.
- Bob Zink, Washington

2020-06-05 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

We ordered our trailer through a local dealership (Tacoma, WA). It was ordered in October 2019 and it arrived from Mt Pleasant Penn to Tacoma, WA in November 2019. We picked it up in January 2020. We had some issues being a new unit (working out the bugs). The door was the main issue (broken hinge) because it was hard to close. They fixed it and now no door issue. The other issue was due to a change in counter top thickness from previous year caused a quarter window to go outward when folding the wall down. The remedy was to put a thin bumper on the wall to prevent window from resting on counter top that worked. Over all it is a great product but could use more storage
- Bob Zink, Washington

2020-04-29 1995 Starcraft Satellite 1224 View Listings

We bought our Starcraft Satellite popup new and have loved it. It's great for a family as an inexpensive way to camp and travel. Starcraft stands behind their products. Over the years (and miles) we replaced the axle and Starcraft stood behind replacing the top that developed problems after many years.
- David Robbins, Michigan

2020-04-20 2008 Trailmanor Classic 2720QB View Listings

We bought our Trailmanor for an eventual trip to Alaska. We took 2 major trips, one to the Eastern Provinces of Canada, and then a year later to Alaska from Ohio. For our Alaska trip, this was the ideal trailer. It pulled easily behind a 6 cylinder Toyota 4 Runner. We barely knew it was there. For Alaska, we had the advantage of hard sides (to keep bears in the woods, not in the trailer). The quality of materials in the trailer were outstanding. We had only two complaints. 1) We were both in our late 60's and we found it hard to get into the bunk every night. 2) The recirculating toilet began to retain odors after 3 weeks on the road. If they could add a standard trailer to this unit, I think it would be the perfect travel trailer.
- Paul Alandt, Ohio