Folding Trailer Reviews on RV Insider (84)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Folding Trailer RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

joe April from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Aliner Aliner Scout View Listings

WE enjoy our Aliner Scout. It tows well and sets up quickly. A leak developed while towing the Aliner in the rain during the first year.For over 3 1/2 years we have been trying to get the leak fixed. The first authorized dealer fixed it 3 times and it still leaked. The second authorized dealer fixed it once and it still leaked. The factory then approved a repair utilizing an independent RV repair facility and they repaired it twice using Factory parts and it still leaks. I had to pay $110 for a portion of that repair. The factory is now recommending I take the Aliner back to the second authorized dealer(who already tried to fix it)and let them try again. I have towed the Aliner over 1,000 miles to the various repair facilities and I am not going to tow it another 400 plus miles for a fix by dealer who already tried to fix it once. I offered to fix it and release them from any further clains if they would pay for part of the repair up to $1,000. They refused. So now whenever we tow the Aliner and there is a possibility of rain we duct tape the area of the leak and protect the interior cushions.
- joe April, Florida

2020-07-08 2017 Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC View Listings

When you buy a travel trailer - unless you are buying high end (even some high ends) you are buying a cheaply built item. So I of course go into my pop up with that expectation. I was sold on the HW27SC for the sleeping space, the livable space with the slide out and the extra seating instead of the outdoor kitchen. I have owned it for 3.5 years now and I really like the functionality/livability of it. It tows like a dream behind my 2018 F150 (5.0 V8) - was suprised at how smooth after previous 1984 Coleman pop up (lol). Quality is low. Had a water filter leak which got the wood floors wet - had to replace half of the floor board which was a $9,000 job thankfully covered by state farm with a $250 deductible wew... now 3.5 years in some of the valves are starting to drip (fresh water exit valve drips constantly and water pipe exit valves in the back drip constantly and they don't come all the way out of the camper so it gets the floor wet). Several little brackets etc break off. I'm taking a weekend here soon just to do some TLC upkeep to fix a lot of it. Again most of this is to be expected and if you are at least a little handy you can fix yourself. No regrets on this purchase (thanks to insurance coverage) and I feel like I got what I paid for. Next camper will check more boxes but i think i have 3-5 years left with this one. Family of 5 works great!
- Chase, Texas

2020-07-05 2013 Forest River Rockwood High Wall Premier 296 View Listings

This has been a great starter RV for my family. We traveled to four National Parks in it, all the way as far as Yellowstone. Every place we stopped and set up camp, people were amazed at the size of this pop up camper. Many called it "a pop up on steroids"! The king size slide was perfect for my husband and me, and my teen age daughter slept on the queen size slide and my teenage son slept on the dinette folded down to a bed. Very easy to switch from table and booth, to a bed. We rented movies from Red Boxes along the way and watched movies at night. Played games at the table and cooked inside the camper and used the external grill to make burgers one night. One thing we never used was the wet bath/toilet. We just used campground bath houses. So, they are still BRAND NEW! Never been set up or used. We used the camper for five years, twice a year, and have fond memories. Now that the kids have gone to college and are moving on, it's time to sell this camper to another family to create their own memories! We hope you love it as much as we have.
- Donna Seymour, Maryland

2020-07-02 2013 Coachmen Clipper 108ST View Listings

This was a left over from dealership it was not taken care of very well parts falling apart in side trailer trim prices door fell apart dealer fixed lasted one year leaked in front storage plastic material cracked over winter even being covered dealer fixed first one lasted one year wench to lift top jams often overall low quality materials
- Ron Patrick, New Hampshire

2020-06-30 2018 Forest River Rockwood Freedom ESP 1970ESP View Listings

The trailer itself is nice and fun to camp in. My main problem is with the cheap foreign components used in the charging system. Rockwood is aware of a fundamental problem that exists with the converter charger, which causes battery's to overcharge and boil, yet they refuse to honor their warranty when it fails. They have found excuses to void their warranty every time i have contacted them. This is a critical system and the problem is easily preventable by using higher quality components.
- Dusty, Utah

2020-06-30 2018 Aspen Quality Trailers Aspen Classic View Listings

We bought our Aspen Classic to tour Alaska because we were afraid our older GMC motorhome would have problems. Our regular car is a Toyota Camry which was not approved for towing so we went searching for the smallest, lightest camper we could find. We had seen An Aspen Classic on one of our camping trips and were intrigued. Designed to be towed by any motorcycle 750cc or larger, the Aspen Classic was what we needed. We searched for a used one but ended up buying a new one. It turned out to be one of the best purchases we have ever made as campers. It tows beautifully, even a Smart Car would hardly know it's back there. With 25 cubic feet of storage, it held everything we wanted to take, including a portable toilet. We got most of the options and even though it rained A LOT in Alaska we had lots of room both inside and outside to enjoy. Our only complaints were that the king size mattress is a little thin and we may replace it with an air mattress, and the leveling jacks are a little long to use for some campsites. It was a joy to get somewhere and after 20 minutes of setup we had supper on the stove and an adult beverage in our hands. It takes some practice to be fast but with two people who have done it some, in two minutes you can be out of the rain and finished in ten minutes. We seldom felt the need to hurry that much. We have camped places where 200 mosquitoes could find your arm in seconds and after set-up lounged in complete comfort, without a single bite. It's satisfyingly tight. More than once we've had two inches of rain overnight and been snug and dry. So, if you want to take tent camping to the next level with a full watertight floor, sleeping off the ground on a king-size bed and a nicely sized stand up room, you should look closely at an Aspen Classic if you can find one. The amazing amount of storage and easy towing are nice bonuses. Look them over at aspenqualitytrailers.com
- Douglas Smith, Nebraska

2020-06-15 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

Ever since my first review things have been getting better. The door issues I had in January 2020 are no more. A few adjustments to prevent the quarter window from moving outward when closing solved with a stick on chair glide next to the window on the inside. Came up with storage ideas which I shared on some of the Aliner groups on Facebook. Since the pandemic thing have been out a couple times so far with more places planned. The extreme off road package helps with towing because of tire size (15 inch tires). The only thing I added was to make stairs that made it easier to go in and stepping back out. The only thing is the area around the couch where they put the thermostat. It makes it hard to get to when you make the couch into a bed. The Cool Cat A/c and heat pump work well but are a little noisy but I heard this is normal. So far being we live in a wet climate (below the Olympic Rain Forest) I have not noticed any leaks. It seems to be very air tight. As for condensation the only places is on the windows during the night. The other thing is the table leg we got (which I plan on changing) is the type has the turn lock at the bottom has attendency of coming loose when you move the table to sit down and it wobbles when you go to get up. Overall it is a great trailer.
- Bob Zink, Washington

2020-06-05 2020 Aliner Classic 35th Anniversary View Listings

We ordered our trailer through a local dealership (Tacoma, WA). It was ordered in October 2019 and it arrived from Mt Pleasant Penn to Tacoma, WA in November 2019. We picked it up in January 2020. We had some issues being a new unit (working out the bugs). The door was the main issue (broken hinge) because it was hard to close. They fixed it and now no door issue. The other issue was due to a change in counter top thickness from previous year caused a quarter window to go outward when folding the wall down. The remedy was to put a thin bumper on the wall to prevent window from resting on counter top that worked. Over all it is a great product but could use more storage
- Bob Zink, Washington

2020-04-29 1995 Starcraft Satellite 1224 View Listings

We bought our Starcraft Satellite popup new and have loved it. It's great for a family as an inexpensive way to camp and travel. Starcraft stands behind their products. Over the years (and miles) we replaced the axle and Starcraft stood behind replacing the top that developed problems after many years.
- David Robbins, Michigan

2020-04-20 2008 Trailmanor Classic 2720QB View Listings

We bought our Trailmanor for an eventual trip to Alaska. We took 2 major trips, one to the Eastern Provinces of Canada, and then a year later to Alaska from Ohio. For our Alaska trip, this was the ideal trailer. It pulled easily behind a 6 cylinder Toyota 4 Runner. We barely knew it was there. For Alaska, we had the advantage of hard sides (to keep bears in the woods, not in the trailer). The quality of materials in the trailer were outstanding. We had only two complaints. 1) We were both in our late 60's and we found it hard to get into the bunk every night. 2) The recirculating toilet began to retain odors after 3 weeks on the road. If they could add a standard trailer to this unit, I think it would be the perfect travel trailer.
- Paul Alandt, Ohio

2020-02-21 2017 Forest River Rockwood Freedom 2318G View Listings

2017 Rockwood Freedom Pop-Up 2318G with slide power lift roof, AC, awning, refrigerator, hot water heater, water pump, three burner stove top, electric heated queen and king mattresses, flat screen TV, microwave, spare tire, full body paint, no head. In immaculate condition. Sleeps 6 comfortably. Used only 6 times. Reason for selling: Bought 2018 Class C.
- Bob Phifer, Florida

2020-02-03 2018 Coachmen Clipper Sport 125ST View Listings

COACHMEN CLIPPER, Model 125SST, Purchase Date: 04/26/19 Date: 01/05/19 Subject: Severe Safety Issue (OLD TIRES on a New Camper): I have a 2018 Coachman Clipper 125SST, which is manufactured by Forest River, Inc. Note: Camper was taken to Selling dealer for evaluation on 01/09/20. Here is the list of the issues and some background: 1. We made our second camping trip to the Austin, Tx Area. Prior to leaving for this trip, and also before we started back home, I checked both tires for pressure, and looked for any issues. They were both at 65psi, which is per the vendor’s (Kenda) recommendation, and no cracks, imperfections, etc., and, the tire pressure agrees with the label on the side of the camper. 2. I was told by the selling dealer never to exceed 65mph while traveling. To be on the safe side, I have always traveled at only about 60mph. 3. Stopped for gas about halfway through the trip, and visually inspected both tires for any issues. I also felt of tires, rims, and hubs for any warmth, which would indicate an issue. All was fine. 4. About 5 miles from home, we exited the freeway, which speed drops to 50mph. However, I wanted to be extra safe, so, I slowed my speed down to 40mph. This is something that I felt safer to do with the traffic in front of me. 5. Suddenly, and very violently, the left tire on the camper blew out. I was able to maintain control of the rig, but pieces of the tire flew off, hitting other cars. 6. Pulled over to a very short shoulder on the road to see what happened. Appears that the tire blowout caused severe damage to side of the camper. 7. Traffic was very heavy, so there was no way to get out to change out the tire, and get the camper home. Called Forrest River Roadside assistance. 8. Waited for over 2 hrs. for them to come. Calls kept getting canceled, and it was unsafe for the wrecker drivers. But, Roadside assistance never called. I called them 3 times, and finally, they told me that the first 2 calls had been canceled, and they were dispatching someone again. 9. A guy from the wrecker service finally came out in is personal car to change the tire. He was very short, and very rude, but, he did help us, so I was grateful for that. 10. We continued home. The next morning, I set up the camper for airing out, and cleanup as we always do. What I found next was shocking to say the least. 11. The Drivers side of the camper had damage to the siding down to the studs. Wheel well trim was missing, door to refrigerator was broken, and, marker lamp cover is missing. Also, I noticed the top wood near the right front top latch was broken. 12. Next, I called my local tire shop to see if they could help me understand why this might have happened. He asked me the usual questions such as speed traveling (40mph), Tire Pressure (65psi), etc. All checked out. 13. Next question from him was, how old are the tires. I told him when I purchased the camper, the tires would have been new (04/19) and we agreed that should not be a factor. However, he then explained to me exactly how to figure out how old the tire is. There is a code date stamped on each tire as to when they were built (Week, Year). Checking these tires, we noticed that the code was 20 15. He paused, and then asked again, what year my camper was, and when I purchased it, as that code does not seem correct. I then decided to take the camper to another tire dealer for verification. Sure enough, the first tire dealer read it correctly. I should note that the camper was manufactured around 11/17 as a 2018 model. 14. So, at this point, it appears to me that Coachman (aka: Forest River) put old tires on the camper (at least 2 years old). Adding to this, I feel that at least the dealer should have verified how old the tires are before we took possession of the camper. Purchasing the camper in April, of 2019, made these tires already nearly 4 years old. Sending a camper out with 4 year old tires, especially for new purchasers, is alarming and irresponsible to say the least. 15. We are now to the point that we are extremely disappointed in our experience, and, have lost out piece of mind of buying a new Forest River product. We are going to get the camper fixed, but, I personally no longer have any confidence that this camper is road safe. We might have to sell this one, and purchase one from another vendor. We still enjoy camping, but, not so much with this rig. Forest River (Viking Division) is working to get all of the parts for the repair, and, also going to give us new tires (3). But again, I fail to understand how this can happen. I will never purchase anthing made by forest river again. They used to be great products, but, now, not so sure about quality.
- SpaceGuy 85, Texas

2020-01-19 2018 Forest River Rockwood Premier A-122 View Listings

The best thing about this A-Frame is you can't even tell you are pulling anything! I am only a 5ft female in my 60's and can set it up by myself! It is the perfect size for a couple, with a queen size heated mattress, with hydraulic lifters, to access the storage area underneath it, which is also accessible from the outside. This camper has a 12ft box, with all the conveniences of home. 3 burner stove, 2 propane tanks, A/C, heat pump, + furnace, microwave, 3 way refrigerator,outside shower, wi-fi extender, pre-wired for zamp solar panels. Things a bit challenging:minimal storage areas, without imagination and you tube ideas, and putting up the outside awning.
- JJ, Florida

2019-11-18 2018 Jayco Jay Sport 12UD View Listings

Bought the camper from Camper World in Georgetown, KY. On the first camping trip the awning broke and the front door would not close. The electric crank would not take the camper up. The second time out the refrigerator went out and the camper would not close completely. Camper World Georgetown,KY had it in their service department for two months. The third trip the right hand tire blew on the way to and from trip and the camper would not close. Called camper world and was assured blown tires were common and it was not unusual to have two blow on the same trip. The problem with the tires are they are twelve inches and work twice as hard as vehicle tires and the right side axle has the small gear heating the tires up until they blow. Shame on you Jayco for producing such a poor product. I definitely regret the purchase of the camper and buying from Camper World Georgetown, KY.
- Nicole , Ohio

2019-11-09 2016 Forest River Rockwood Hard Side High Wall A214HW View Listings

We love our A-frame. The only disappointment has been the actuator...we’ve had two go out on us and now we lift it manually. Manageable, but we paid to have an actuator that works. Other than that, we have loved taking it all over the country and Virginia state parks. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy again.
- Tom and Teresa Rosemeier, Virginia

2019-09-24 2017 Forest River Rockwood 2280BHESP View Listings

I bought a 19’ Rockwood Extreme 2280BHESP in 2017 brand new fully loaded plus paid extra for upgrades. I have purchased it from Campers Inn RV. I had the worst experience with customer service and the whole entire team there. Do not purchase anything there. They act like they care until you purchase one of their campers. They are not willing to help anyone or care to make their customers satisfied. ‚ÄčIt started when I first purchased this camper and there were some items that needed replaced and fixed from the manufacture. Now I had heard Forest River was king of there product but I’m finding out myself that it’s not true. I picked up my camper hoping that everything was taking care of like the salesman promise and it wasn’t. Keep this in mind that this Campers Inn RV was an hour way from where I lived. So back and forth about 3 trips later everything was half A** taking care off. About almost a year later I started having additional issues. Roof was de-laminating and Rockwood awesome air flow fan was leaking water. Radio wasn’t secured in place “wasn’t installed properly”. Seams on the bed mattress where ripped. Steps are rusting already. Main door doesn’t fit properly when camper is level still. I can go on but I’m trying to make this short. I called the manufacture because the dealership didn’t want to do anything to help. Forest River said after seeing the pictures I sent that they will cover it. So, I went back to Campers Inn RV like an idiot and had them repair it. They were closer than the other dealership. The other one was 3 hours away and I don’t even have confidants they can do the work professionally. Eight months later when it should have taking 1 month they called and said it was done. I told them I’ll be down and I would like the camper to be open for inspection. I went down and nothing was completed. Wires were hanging down, radio was still not installed, mattress were replaced and ect .. It was not completed. After talking to the manager, I had to wait for another 2 hours for not even completed work. I had to do some of work at home. They blamed the manufacture on not shipping all the hardware that they needed and that’s why it took so long. If that’s true then shame on Rockwood. After a week my wife notice while cleaning the camper that we didn’t have any curtains on the one side of the camper. They didn’t install all the curtains when they replaced the roof. Now I’m angry and call Campers Inn RV and I ask them if they still had the curtains. They replied back that they didn’t take them. I didn’t say they did, I said they didn’t install them back in. They suggested to go get Walmart curtains. I wasn’t having it. Pete the manager said we will order you curtains but take these grey ones from one of the new models. Great gray and mine is brown, this don’t match at all. It’s been seven months now calling them and them not calling me, telling me that Rockwood keeps sending them the wrong curtains or didn’t send them yet. Campers Inn RV keeps promising me that they are ordering them next day and will send some one out to install them for free. I don’t have them yet and I expect better since I paid a large amount of money. Camper Inn RV is non customer care and only want your money. Forest River is a joke and I wish I didn’t choose that manufacture. I spent way too much money and only been camping eight times out of this whole unprofessional issue. Never again will I purchase anything from both of these parties. They will fill their pockets and leave you stranded.
- Darin Radwanski, Pennsylvania

2019-09-19 2018 Jayco Jay Sport 12UD View Listings

I recently purchased the a new 2018 Jayco jay series sport 12ud tent trailer from RV City in Morinville. It was meant to be a more budget friendly option in terms of gas and towing for my family to enjoy some camping this year without buying a larger trailer. Unfortunately it has had nothing but problems from the start and has become a regretful purchase. Upon our first camping trip: - 1 of the beds bowed (they are supposed to hold 1050 lbs) and we are a family of four with 2 young children. Our combined weight doesn't even amount to half of what it's capability states and we never all even slept on the same bed. Also the strapping on the other bed came off because it was only glued on and when they fixed it was stapled. - sink would not drain properly - fuse was not working - dinette table was warped Immediately after coming home we took the trailer to get everything fixed. Then a few weeks later we go on a trip again. - A baseboard falls off - the stove becomes warped after travel (it was slid in its proper travelling position when not in use at the time of damage) - the electrical switch on the outside of the trailer was extremely finicky and it was difficult to get power All this to say, this trailer is complete junk and made cheaply. To camp for a total of 8 days with the majority of our time simply spent sleeping and have all this go wrong in a brand new trailer is completely unacceptable.
- cody mclean, Alberta

2019-09-08 2010 Coleman Highlander Niagara 4433 View Listings

This trailer has been great. Very well made, very few issues. Best pop up you can get IMHO. We have been able to camp with 2 kids, 2 adults, and 2 100+ lbs dogs each. At night its a bit tight stepping over the dogs but otherwise great. We have been inside the camper as long as 4 days due to rain and no problems. No leaks. We were warm and had enough room to move around even while stuck inside for that long. Only reason we are selling is we are growing out of it.
- Olga, Arizona

2019-09-01 2019 Forest River Flagstaff SE T12BHSE View Listings

I really like the A-frame hard wall with kitchen shower toilet and the dormer as usual one thing I’ve noticed with all manufacturers of trailers and motorhomes to that fact quality control is lacking. I had to take it back to the dealer because every screw into the body was stripped the Pistons were starting to pull out from the body and they had to replace every body screw with larger screws. I think the factory needs to spend a little more time on quality control and slow down and Comply with your reputation as a quality trailer builder!
- Bob, Idaho

2019-08-23 2017 Aliner Ranger 10MPTLR View Listings

Everything you need in an easy to tow unit that sets up in less than a minute. Great for 1 or 2 people who enjoy the outdoors but want a hard sided tilt up for sleeping and getting out of the elements. I would highly recommend this trailer to anyone.
- Alex Ripley, Washington

2019-08-11 2016 Jayco Jay Series Sport 12HSB View Listings

Bought it used from a dealer like the little camper other then a few problems. Skylight and exhaust fan leak. Everything else seems to work great. It is easy to tow and has amazing storage space for a small camper. Will sleep 3 easy and 4 if needed.
- Buddy , Missouri

2019-08-07 2014 Aliner Aliner Expedition Toilet View Listings

I have only taken five trips with this RV and they all round trips between Atlanta, Georgia and Orlando, Florida of which we spent three to four days each time. I towed our Aliner Expediton, the largest model of A-Liner, behind my 2010 Ford F-150 truck each time and it was very easy. The things we like about the Aliner Expediton are even though it was the largest model, it fit in our garage and fits in fairly small sites giving more sites to choose from. The setting up and taking it down could be done in minutes. Unlike any of the other RV's we've had setting up and taking down does not cranking cables, which can break, nor does it take power of plugging in, which may not be available, or batteries, which not be sufficiently charged, as they manually easily life up and down. It has plenty or room for two full size adults (I am about 6 foot, 4 inches tall, my spouse is 5 foot, 9 inches tall) and two children, or two fair size adults). Also when set up the interior has great head room for my height. For its size it has a huge amount of storage space. My wife like that all the windows are tinted providing good degree of daytime privacy and of course they have covers for nighttime privacy. We also liked the dual LP tanks, the AM-FM radio has both internal and external speakers, the included portable LP gas grill that hooks on the outside with gas line hook-up and the special ordered built in cable tv hook-up. The only thing we did not like was that the thermostat for the air conditioning is located under a small counter extension lid which can be raised and lower and when lowered it covers the thermostat. The Como RV centers in two locations in the Orlando, Florida area have been great in maintaining our Aliner, always willing to answer our questions we have. Every time we have set up in a campground we always have had a number of "neighbors" express a lot of interest in our Aliner.
- Richard Fehr, Georgia

2019-08-03 2018 Coachmen Clipper Express 180 View Listings

First weekend out it rained, the canvas leaked everywhere. Took it back to the rv shop. Repairs made to the seams. 3rd trip out with it I went to fold it up to move to my next site and the hinge had rusted and seized. Back to the rv shop, they've given me a loaner of the same type (which also leaks), I've now had it for a month waiting to find out what is happening with mine.
- Lisa, Ontario

2019-08-01 2018 Forest River Flagstaff 21DMHW View Listings

We used our trailer on several local short trips, 5 to 7 days, before our latest trip of 6 weeks an 5 days. This trailer towed great, with an average of 14.9 mph for 4650 miles. I drive a 2018 Chev. Silverado 1500 pickup. The unit sets up easy an has lots of outside storage. We stayed in private parks, KOA parks, an with the units hard side walls we could have stayed in national parks. Our trip took us to Ruidoso NM, Springerville AZ, Camp Verde Az, San Diego Ca. Flagstaff Az, Panguitch Ut, Grand Junction Co, Pueblo Co, Quartz Mountain State Park Okla then home. All of our stops had full hook ups except Ok. We utilized our portable holding tank for our gray water, the toilet has it's own tank. The appliances operated very well, we had to turn the refer to max during air Arizona stays to keep the food cold, the AC had to work overtime to keep the inside cool. With out side temps at or over 100 in Az. I think it did quite well. All of our other sites were in the 80's an the AC worked great, Okla was a little tough at 105 but we utilized a medium size fan to move the air in the unit an it did better than Az. The inside stove top does work but has never been used, because I do all of the cooking outside when camping, the wife loves it. I have a couple of Quick-up awnings I use for shade to cook under an lounge under.
- Ed Long, Texas

2019-07-30 2017 Forest River Flagstaff Hard Side T12RBST View Listings

It's a great little rv .I hate. to sale it.can't beat it for towing.ac works great,heater too.for a small fridge it will holds alot.the hard sides let's you be able to go eny where.its safer too.it is better in wind lots better then canvas.
- Claude, California