Tow Behind Car

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Tow Behind Car RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Phillip Savage from Georgia says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Keystone Hideout 212LHS View Listings

On the maiden voyage of our camper, we noticed a number of things wrong with the unit. A support for the bunk was snapped in half, the dead bolt would not engage, there was a 2 inch gap between the door and the door frame, the microwave had a broken part, the sink squirted in multiple directions and a list of other problems. These issues should have been caught before it ever left the dealer. Keystone should have been more sympathetic to their customer concerns instead of telling them that that is what the warranty is for. The unit was in the shop for the first month of ownership and it still isn't repaired properly. Keystones response is "what do you expect us to do?" I expect you to treat me like you appreciate my business not just my money
- Phillip Savage, Georgia

2021-10-06 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ View Listings

2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ is a great tow vehicle. We have no problems with towing . This vehicle, LTZ, is loaded with options including all power seats, home link for garage and gate opening, navigation, Bluetooth, sunroof. Recommend.
- KNW, Tennessee

2021-09-15 2021 Keystone Premier 30I View Listings

The rv that I own is junk camper world would not help. Warranty is junk when I bought the camper was promised all kinds of things camper world is a poor excuse call camper world on the phone camper world will put you on hold never answer. My wife and I have been so disappointed with camper world our dream for retirement has gone down the drain. What do you do
- Ed Roh, Alabama

2021-06-19 2021 Jayco North Point 377RLBH View Listings

2021 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH. I took new delivered May 2021.. This has been a nightmare since delivery. The recliner was delivered with and obvious bent frame. The black tank flushline was not connected properly and the shower leaks from various points and the kitchen slide out ripped up the kitchen floor the first time I retracted it. I contacted Jayco and they are extremely friendly but no assistance at all!!! I'm I retired disabled Persian Golf veteran and to date this purchase has been the worst of my lifetime. There is no help for me but I would ask that if anyone is interested in a new camper please go anywhere else then to Jayco. To date I had to remove the bathroom wall to replair the black tank flush line, removed shower access panel to tighten all connections and seal all areas water can penatrate. In closing I had no idea when you purchased a Jayco there is no useful assistance they would offer other then friendly conversations via phone. With all of the problems I have experienced the kitchen floor is the least of my worries! Please, please read this review as a warning to not purchase a Jayco! It is only my wife and me if I had little kids I would not know how to explain to them all of the problems and why daddy is constantly working on repairing a new camper, disappointment does not begin to cover how me and my wife feel. If there is anyone at Jayco that wants to contact me to review compensation and repair of my nightmare I would welcome and more that happy to post a retraction and how Jayco made things right!
- Paul Colantoni, Massachusetts

2021-06-13 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2.0 Liter 2dr. 4x4 View Listings

Too much money. This is a 22 year old vehicle with 151k miles on it. You can't bump up the price just because it's pretty. The last Geo I bought only cost me $500. It was just as pretty and newer. I got a year out of it before it died. This one is just too much money.
- Joni, California

2021-01-16 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sport X View Listings

The Jeep Wrangler is the best vehicle you can buy for a toad. One lever and its in neutral, key switch is configures so no kill switch is need. The hardtop is for safety, yet both front panels lift off in good weather. It is short, you don't even know its back there. We towed one for 2 years behind our class C, then went to a class A. Jeep has been behind both.
- Chuck, Maryland

2020-09-14 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum View Listings

I am averaging about 100 mi/gal. This car tows four wheels down and you would never know it is behind the RV. It is simple to setup as you only have to dial the transmission to Neutral, lock the setting by pushing a button, and turning the car off. The car weighs around 3500 lbs. During most stops, we use only the battery power to tour around the area. If you run the battery down, the hybrid drive automatically kicks in. When we get back to the campsite we plug it into the shore power or the RV to recharge the battery. The power cord runs off of 110VAC. It takes about 6 hours to fully charge the battery if fully discharged. We still carry the bumper-to-bumper warranty so if there was a problem, any Ford dealer in the US/Canada could service. The car has all the bells and whistles, plus Italian leather interior that is very comfortable. We love the car and would keep it but since it has all the tow equipment installed, we thought we would give someone else the chance to enjoy it.
- Paul Steward, Pennsylvania

2020-07-12 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon View Listings

Using a Jeep 4 Door Wrangler as a toad pull along offers many advantages to a CLASS A, B, Super-C style Motor Homes. The number 1 reason is it’s tow-ability, at just at 4400 lbs, curb weight with over 1200 lbs of cargo. We used it behind our Super-C and did not ever have an issue. What we liked best is you can head for your evening or weekend pull through site, drop it in seconds and your free to enjoy exploring, a hidden winery or restaurant, or just site seeing. There is plenty of room for family, shopping and friends you meet along the way. We have found off the path fishing spots, the old Pony Express Trail, the back roads to old mines or scouted for a good Boondocking site on BLN or FS land. The roof rack has served as a race day and balloon watching platform, hauled canoes, kayaks during our road trips. One of the greatest adventures is finding remote lakes, river or hot springs to enjoy. It’s a Jeep thing, most SUVs, cars and trucks limit your exploration options, but a Jk can get you there and back and still take you out on the town. This Rubicon has been well taken care of and offers more than looks tagging along behind your rig. It’s the other half of why you headed out on the road to adventures.
- Lou Harvey, Texas

2020-07-04 2017 Pacific Coachworks Mighty Lite 16RB View Listings

Easy to tow and easier to turn in places and backing in to spaces. A slider would be ideal. The cooking area is ideal for food prep outdoors. Double propane tank assembly would be better. the awning is nice and ample and helps with shading.
- Josaf Rodriguez, California

2020-05-30 2017 Subaru Impreza Crosstrek View Listings

I’m selling my tow vehicle because I need a automatic. The Subaru is is great shape. It was harnessed with Road Master tow system. I just have to switch button, put in neutral and go. I also own hitch which I would like to sell. Call me if interested.
- Denise Dessy, California

2020-05-11 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT Hatchback View Listings

This tow car has been a perfect addition to our motorhome. We have had this car at the same time we had a 2013 Subaru Outback, which we loved for long distance driving. The sonic though was our go to car to drive around town even when not towed. The the back seats down, there was lots of room to carry stuff. Great driving car, good acceleration. Biggest downside is the mileage - typically 31-32 mpg for all our driving. You'd expect this size of car to get better mileage. We were aware of this when we bought it. The 5 star safety rating is what ultimately sold us on the sonic.
- Larry, Arizona

2020-05-07 2017 Pacific Coachworks Mighty Lite 16RB View Listings

Friend of our works at this factory and told us how good they were. Without hesitation we purchased what we have now fallen in love with, our outdoor home away from home. Oh how sweet it is!! Perfect for our 2 little boys and my husband and I. Get the power lift as we had ours installed after the fact and wow, what a difference!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!
- Susan Middleton, California

2020-03-08 1995 Chevrolet GEO Tracker View Listings

This is an awesome tow vehicle!! It will go anywhere you want to go, even if YOU don't think you can go there!! It is great! You will not be disappointed! It is spotless inside and out, and not one spot of rust on it!! Not only is it great on gas, but it is so light, at less than 2,000 pounds, you will not even be able to tell that you are towing it. Nor will it affect the fuel mileage you currently get on your RV. As it says in the AD, the PERFECT TOW VEHICLE!!
- Leslie Gunnels, Nevada

2020-01-18 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL View Listings

We have been RVing since the middle 70s and are now on our twelfth coach. During that time we have always flat tow many and of all kinds cars. Many of them have been 4 wheel drive with a transfer case, or have been rear wheel/front 2 wheel drive without a transfer case. We have had drive shaft disconnects for both rear and front 2 wheel as well as front wheel cars that could be towed without drive shaft disconnects. With out a doubt the best and easiest car to tow is a Jeep Wrangler 4 wheel drive - we have had 3 over the years. It is very easy to set for towing and pulls like a trailer. We are now downsizing to a Sprinter chassis driven and will miss the Jeep very much.
- Ken Hill, Florida

2019-09-29 1991 Palomino Filly Filly View Listings

Back in 1992 purchased a brand new Palomino Filly pop up camper. Enjoyed for 6 years with the kids and family. We took very good care of this thing. After our last trip in 1998 we dried it out before closing it like we always do. In 2000 when I went to open it the whole canvas had disintegrated from mold. Water had some how gotten into this poorly manufactured garbage of a camper. After ripping out the useless canvas discovered all the wood in the rear left side floor to the upper shell had rotted away to a soft sponge. My thought was in two years of being closed it couldn't have rotted as bad as it did, but it did. Some how water had leaked or wicked from around the shell or possibly the poorly installed molding that surrounds all the seams of the aluminum covering. Since 2000 kept the camper in the garage hoping to repair it some day. Whined the clock forward to September 2019, decided to take the old camper out of storage to convert into a utility trailer. I went to YouTube to get an idea how various people were converting their camper trailers to a utility trailer? My first two videos, guess which camper people were converting because of water leak and rotted wood issues, yep, you guessed it right, a Palomino product. Looks like I wasn't the only unfortunate soul to experience Palomino Camper Water Rot Syndrome (PCWRS). While taking the Palomino apart discovered more wood rot along the whole front side of the top shell and more rot in the front side from the top shell all the way down to the cooler located on the lower right side of the entry way. On top of all this when I wend to serviced the wheel hubs discovered the big hub Castle nut washer was missing. This is the big washer that suppose to be installed between the big spindle Castle nut and the front bearing. So on top of Palomino giving you a cheap camper at a premium price they put you in an unsafe condition when going down the road. Hope this review was hopeful in deciding if your next camper will be a PCWRS.
- Pat, Virginia

2019-08-23 2019 Coleman Lantern 244BH View Listings

We purchase a 2019 Coleman 244BH- Do not buy! went out with it twice and already have issues -- Water heater does not work, paneling in the bathroom peeling, front door wont shut and gutter is falling off. WE purchased a new camper because we wanted to avoid issues,however that is not the case . Trying to get it fix has been as hassle , customer service is terrible.
- Tara Derenze, New York

2019-08-09 2019 Riverside RV Retro White Water View Listings

Very cheaply made. There's no quality controll. I purchased a 2019 retro white water. i 6beleive was the 177 series. The first time i took a shower i found approximately 1/4 inch of water on the bathroom floor. A o ring was busted in the Drain. Which probably came like that from the factory. Since the trailer was new.I took it back to the dealer and traded it back in for a kodiak cub.( jury is still out on this one) I would avoid these ( RETROS) trailers at all cost!! I was told 90 percent of them leak when they come from the factory. Good Luck.
- Dennis, Oklahoma

2019-06-26 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ View Listings

Many people find it useful to tow a car behind their large motorhome, and drive the car instead of the motorhome to the grocery store or to see local attractions. But not every car can be flat towed. Read your owners manual to see if your car can be flat towed. We bought the Chevy Equinox LTZ because it can be flat towed and is a good car with the luxury interior. But every car needs some special equiptment for RV towing. First, you need a base plate designed for your make and model of car. This is permanently professionally attached to the front of your car. The tow bar attaches to this plate when you want to tow the car and easily detaches when you get to the campground. We bought the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar because it is aluminum so it does not rust and its rated capacity is heavier than the weight of our car. Next comes brakes. Some states require brakes, some do not. Canada requires brakes on all towed vehicles. Brakes on your towed vehicle, even if not required, will make your rig safer because it will come to an emergency stop several feet sooner with brakes on the towed car than with brakes only on the motorhome. But some brake systems are very inconvenient to use because they have to be installed every time you tow the car. They are a large box which is braced against the front seat with an arm that pushes on the brake pedal. It requires a lot of pressure because the power brakes on the car are off. We choose U S Gear Unified tow brake. It installed permanently, well hidden, never in your way. Its secret ingredient is that it activates the car's power brakes! Power brakes on a car are powered by the vacuum in the manifold of the engine when the engine is running. This brake system mounts a small vacuum pump under the hood, which turns on whenever the brake lights on the motorhome come on. With the car's power brakes working, all that is needed is a small cable pulling down on the brake pedal. The pull on that cable is proportionate to how fast the motorhome is slowing down. It works great! Finally, there is wiring. A single electric cable connects the 7 wire outlet that is standard on every motorhome to a new plug on the front of the car. Using diodes to keep the car's battery separate from the motorhone's battery, these wires are run to operate the car's running lights, turn signals, and brake lights including the vacuum pump under the hood. On most cars, when the ignition is off, the steering column is locked, it will not turn. This has to be unlocked so the car can turn to follow the motorhome. Your owners manual will tell you what has to be done for your make and model of car. On most cars, you have to turn on the ignition switch. But that will run down the car's battery in a few hours, so you are instructed to pull a certain fuse. The tech who installed our system made this task very simple. He installed a small switch near the fuse box. We just turn off this switch instead of going in to the fuse box, finding the right fuse and pulling it. With all these modifications, our Equinox LTZ is perfectly equipped for easy towing, and a good luxury car for driving when we arrive at our destination.
- Alfred Gallant , Virginia

2019-06-13 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-171 View Listings

Purchased RPod 171 new 1/21/19 camping in Sierras 6/7/19 Water heater won't light after 4 tries it caught FIRE , Called local dealer month wait to get in for service contacted Forest River and I'm getting the Email RUN A ROUND , ALSO Refrigerator on coodest setting is barely cold and 2 window blinds are broken .NOT at all happy with my new RPod
- Guy Hacker, California

2019-06-02 2019 Coleman Light 29925RL View Listings

Camper is poorly built . Cheap material have had so many problems have owned maybe 1 month . Now fault light is on who knows what that means . I would definitely never recommend a Coleman camper for any reason . I should have listened. I'll know better next time . I wish I could find a class action lawsuit to get in with. So maybe I could get out of this camper and into one with . qaulity . Put in for warranty a month ago still has not be approved. Called customer service they said supervisor would call me back never happened been over a week . Please stay away from . You will regret it . I give it 2 thumbs down .
- Jeremy conlee, Mississippi

2019-05-20 2011 Mini Cooper Clubman S View Listings

Great Toad. Very easy to tow and connect to RV. If you are interested in a Toad that serves you well then, MINI COOPER CLUBMAN S should be your choice. It weighs less than 3,000 pounds and is a plus for RV fuel economy. The Cooper gets over 30 miles per gallon too.
- Mike Vassallo, Georgia

2019-04-20 2017 Chevrolet Spark LS View Listings

This Chevy Spark is the perfect Tow Car. It weights less than 2300 lbs and you hardly feel it attached to the RV, going down the road. Have to check your camera to see if its there.The tow braking system works smoothly and is seamless with the RV braking. The Blue Ox tow package is secure and totally hidden under the hood and front bumper area with a beautiful electric and hardware installation by San Diego Trailer.Youn will live the sporty feel and room for passengers on the four door model. The back seats also fold down for large storage area in the hatchback. This is the tow car to love.
- Don, California

2019-01-26 2016 Teardrops NW Teardrops NW Sojourn View Listings

This teardrop is very well built, solid and tight. It provides a very comfortable sleeping compartment with a 6' mattress and pillow top. It has well appointed reading lights in the cabin and a side tent and awning to provide additional living space. The kitchen area I'd well designed to provide a convenient meal prep space as well as storage. The trailer is easily towed by a Subaru Outback. The car is able to easily pull it up Amy hill, the trailer tows easily, with full sized tires. It is in excellent, like new condition. The propane stove is a high-end two burner stove with two propane tanks. The cooler is an Engle cooler providing long term cold storage.
- David Schlachter, Oregon

2019-01-25 2017 Keystone Springdale Summerland 1700FQ View Listings

I love this trailer. I have the Artic package and have enjoyed using it all year. The open floor plan is very comfortable and the finishes are very nice. I like the private bedroom and double entry doors. It is easy to pull and so much fun!
- Dylon H. Grothe, Colorado

2019-01-02 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

We've had this 1.5 years now and have towed it all over the western US with a Nissan Frontier. We do enjoy the layout, but not the quality of materials or the craftmanship! I like the 'off-roadiness' but don't like the fact that the wheel width is super wide for dirt roads! We tend to get out about once every 3 months for a week or so and continually have to fix something; seats, wiring, plugs, water system (that freezes way too easily), Jensen stereo that's been warrantied and still seems to have issues among other items. I really wish it was made just a bit better! As noted in other reviews, be careful when filling the water tank to full capacity as it can change the towing dynamics! We've also changed to 2 6v deep cycle batteries as we camp mostly off grid in remote areas. This said, there are things I like, the slide out (but watch the seal to make sure it doesn't leak!), the bed is nice, and the size and weight are good. Yet it would be nice to have additional inside storage instead of a microwave, and a lower overall weight and lower height by having no air conditioner or exterior TV antennae. We have never used these item nor will use them. It seemed that every R-Pod on the lot had these items installed, but yet listed them as optional. Frustrating! Oh yes, the graphics...how many can you really put on a trailer!?! We have taken off most of them and have ran across many other owners who have done the same. It's a bit too many stuck all over! So when all's said and done, we paid for a lot of items we don't like or use that are evidently 'standard options' and the quality is lower than we would like. That said, we do like the trailer as it's a great size for the 2 of us and the layout, and slider are really nice!
- Mike Fieguth, Oregon