5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (2,869)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2021-01-11 2020 Forest River Sierra 387MKOK View Listings

We purchased a 2020 3867MKOK and after a year we discovered three issues. The first was that the Black tank cleanout piping was reversed between tank 1 and two. Dealer fixed that easily. The second issue was discovered while getting it inspected. A grease seal leaked on one of the wheels. Since I could drive it to the dealer, Forrest River told me to pay the repair bill and they would reimburse me. I got the check a week later. Great service. The last issue is there are some hydraulic fluid drops in the well where all the hoses are located. We have an appointment with the dealer in the spring to have that looked at. Considering all the "Stuff" this thing has, I'm satisfied with the quality and factory support.
- Mike Wolfe, Pennsylvania

2021-01-09 2020 Heartland Bighorn Traveler 32RS View Listings

Only issues were a a leaking hydraulic leveler and a dented porch light. A few cosmetic interior issues. We have been able to use the trailer. We are waiting to have the leveler replaced , and replaced the porch ourselves. There was a bolt missing from another leveler. That will be fixed as well . Appt is in February. Other than that, no leaks if any kind, everything works. All plumbing works no leaks. I’m happy with this trailer. We had a TT prior to this, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER Forest River Sunset Trail 32 ft . Had many issues with the fridge. Had to have motherboard replace twice. Couldn’t get satellite hookup to work. Had to hook directly from outside. So saying all this, EVERY RV MANUFACTURER is going to have some kind of issues, wether it be minor or major. Have had no problems with warranty.
- Melinda cormier, California

2021-01-09 2018 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Bought new in 2018. Have had many issues. Some easy to take care of, other require getting out the major tools for a weekend repair. All taken care of by myself because of the bad experiences with dealers response. Some want you to pay and they also bill the factory. That is true. Latest issues are keeping the unit level. Must relevel every other day and yes I use pads under jacks. Now try to believe this. We lost warm air flow to our front bedroom and bathroom. Temps in 50’s. After opening up the basement rear wall and exposing the air ducts for everything, what a mess, I found the correct duct and when I tried to move it it felt like it was full of debris of some kind. I disconnected the upper end and WOW it was completely full of water. Water in a heating duct????? About 6-8 qts of debris filled water. Well that solved my issue with the heating. About 90 minutes of twisting, turning and getting bloody scratches. This is not made up.
- Shannon Stepp, Minnesota

2021-01-07 2010 Dutchmen Grand Junction 355RL View Listings

Selling yachts and RVs leave RV sellers 2nd in line to any effort put toward selling their RV. Your salesperson would rather be on “the high seas”! Avoid any salesman with Capt. in their communications. After 2 years with Pop, I finally showed and sold my RV myself, but Pop was on the phone asking for their money before the sun went down. Not a good experience.
- William, Florida

2021-01-06 2011 Heartland Landmark Rushmore View Listings

We bought this RV new 10 years ago and have spent 1494 nights in it, including a 16 month stretch while between houses. We've towed easily 60,000 miles from Texas, to Indiana to California and visited most states in between. A number of times, we took this RV into the Colorado high country during the winter so we could have 6-10 week extended ski trips. We've also been in 108 (F) degree weather in Moab, UT. This RV has served us well. We've had our share of appliance and component failures, as do similar RVs, but nothing that ever forced us to cut a trip short. At times, the factory shipped us repair parts and even intervened with their suppliers to get us parts for do-it-yourself repair. Our RV neighbors wished for that kind of support, but never got it. We've attended numerous Heartland Rallies and made many dozens of friends.
- Dan Mayer, Colorado

2021-01-04 2021 Forest River Cedar Creek 311RL View Listings

Look at many RVs but decided on the 2021 1/2 All new redesign. It went with the lighter linen colored furniture lighter color cabinets. Pluses are the six hydraulic leveling system, full-size refrigerator with inverter, large shower and also the large front closet. It has a very user-friendly touchpad control center that links to your phone. When setting up the trailer I don’t even go inside I open the slides turn the lights on from my phone. The 35 foot trailer Trailers straight and smooth. I do wish it had the upgraded fifth wheel hitch. The under storage Utilizes the drop frame concepts and gives you a lot of extra space. The front storage is incredibly big. After several camping trips and one two week trip I have Only one or two things I would I have done different when building it. They put the bath towel hooks 3 foot above the toilet meaning your towels got a hang in your toilet and it’s got a cover your toilet paper roll. I installed three more higher up. They put at Cedar Creek logo it up on the step what’s the problem with that is when you go in the door you tend to kick it and bend the letters. And of course the Rv king mattress was hard as a rock and I had to install at 3 inch foam topper on it. I can definitely tell that they put a lot of thought into designing this RV. I would definitely recommend taking a look at one
- Denis Taillon, Virginia

2021-01-02 2020 Keystone Montana 3121RL View Listings

Very well built, all the comforts of home, plenty of room, residential fridge, lots of storage inside and out. Fireplace, 2 large TV’s and entertainment system, reclining chairs with heat and massage, easy towing.
- Priscilla Butler, North Carolina

2021-01-02 2021 Keystone Montana Legacy 3121RL View Listings

This unit utilizes the space extremely well. We like the modern maple very much - in fact, everyone who has come inside says, "I love this" interior. The disk brakes stop the Montana so smoothly and effectively that we cannot tell it's there. We love all of the Legacy features.
- Carl Geis, Arizona

2021-01-02 2012 Keystone Montana 3100RL View Listings

This was our 2 nd Montana and the best upgrade was the hydraulic auto level sys. A few issues 1st year warranty promptly took care off. Never back to dealer until traded in last year for a 2019 model 3121rl. Three wk trip California and back,no issues. Only 2 items I replaced(myself) was ac unit(lost charge),and fireplace quit heating(ordered replacement element/fan module).from manufacture.l would mention we are not full timers and unit was stored under roof.
- Tom, Ohio

2021-01-01 2019 Forest River Sierra 387MKOK View Listings

We purchased this unit because we love the floor plan. Upon setting it up at our campsite we found that one of our entertainment centers did not work, our outside microwave did not work and some warped doors on the cabinets. Our biggest issue was when we went to close it for winter and tried to flush our black tanks. There are two black tanks in our unit with factory installed clean out ports for a garden hose to help clean out the tanks. We were dumping our black tank 1 and had hose connected to black tank 1 clean out. As we were cleaning out the tank my wife screamed to shut off the water. As I ran into our RV, I was surprised to see sewage throughout our RV. We also had sewage coming from the roof, dripping from the ceiling in our half bath and running out from underneath our RV. We cleaned up the mess as best we could. We found out that it was plumbed wrong at the cleanout area on the RV ( black tank 1 cleanout plumbed to black tank 2) I contacted Forrest River to see if they would fix the problem and replace all the insulation in the underbelly where sewage ran down. Long story short, they sent out service men to check it out. They did say that it was hooked up wrong and fixed that. They than sent out a cleaning company to clean our duct work since sewage filled that up also. After that they advised us that they were done with us. They have no desire to fix anything else. If you read this and plan on buying a Forrest River product, don't do it. Quality is not that good and service on any issue from the company does not exist. They say customer satisfaction is top on their list. I actually believe they they don't give a damn about their product or customer after the RV leaves the factory. Do not buy Forrest River products. They are not worth the money they charge for them
- Don Mansell, Indiana

2021-01-01 2019 Keystone Montana High Country 373RD View Listings

I have a 2019 Montana High Country HM373RD. Purchased August 28 2019. This is my 3rd Fifth Wheel and my second Montana. My 2009 Montana was a pretty well built and I had few issues with it. I cannot believe the difference between 2009 and 2019. If I go a week or two with nothing falling apart I feel pretty fortunate. Unfortunately this is a rare occurrence. If I were keystone I would be ashamed to put out an inferior product like this and as I understand it a lot of their builders are Amish. So much for Amish craftsmanship. The first year of ownership this fifth wheel was in the shop or broke down waiting to go in the shop for more than 6 months. Listed below is all the things that had to be repaired. Items marked * I considered major and items marked ** were turned in but never repaired. Some items I just fixed myself. *The black tank would not dump. The sanitary drains were going up instead of down. The dealer had to shorten and replace the drain piping. *The refrigerator door does not work. You have to push it really hard every time you close it or it will give a warning beep that the door is not closed and the thermometer will give a false reading that the inside temp is warm. *The water line was not attached causing the basement to flood and the floor in the basement is bubbling from the water damage. **Personal items in the basement were damaged or destroyed due to flooding. -The trim and paneling next to the steps to the living room has came loose and appears to not be attached properly -The latch to the bedroom door was not aligned properly so the door will not stay closed. -The entrance door appears to be out of alignment as the handle is hard to pull and the screen door rubs on the threshold. This is much worse when the stabilizers are up. -There is a line of staples sticking up from one end to the other in the carpet in the dining area. I located more than 50 of them. **There are staples sticking out of the paneling behind the mattress at the head of the bed. Reported twice but never fixed. -The board holding the hydraulic cylinders to the bed storage fell off the second time I raised the bed storage. Fixed myself -The plastic trim piece at the skylight shade appears to have been damaged when they put the screws in. Too many holes. *A crack has appeared in the siding on the door side at the curve that forms the fifth wheel. Required body work. **The awning appears not to be aligned properly. When retracted it chatters and seems to be putting a strain on the motor. When retracted it is badly wrinkled as if it is wrapped crooked. I have had to use a ladder and realign this twice now. -The tile backsplash is pitted -Rear Basement-wire supports have failed and need to be replaced -Paneling next to living room stairs-Paneling keeps coming loose even after being repaired -Dining room slide and table-the slide is out of level-the table is more out of level-the refrigerator is even more out of level -Front basement-A wire is trapped between the carpeted divider and an aluminum stud. Eventually movement is going to wear the insulation from the wire. Could cause a fire. -Light on the front of the trailer next to battery door does not work. *Fiberglass laminate on the outside of the dining room slide has two large bubbles in it. Appears to be de-laminating. -Bedroom-The paneling on the right side of the bed is coming off. **Oven thermostat-The thermostat is not constant-Set on 375 one time and its 375 next time its 325 and at 350 it will not even heat. Is sometimes more than 50 degrees off setting. **Awning-after rolling the awning in and out several times it is so out of align it twists the support arms almost 180 degrees when rolled up. **Leveling system-If the RV is more than 1-1 1/2in. out of level the leveling system does not have enough power to push the trailer up to level. -Exterior trim, door side at the curve of the fifth wheel has come out of the track. *Two more bubbles have appeared in the side wall. Keystone has said this is cosmetic and will pay for it. Sent me a check for $1500 to just accept it. -Entry lock had to be replaced -Trim was falling off behind the couch -The screws holding the theater seating were barely attached and came came out causing the seating to detach and tip over during transport. Fixed myself The Trim above the dining slide came loose and was sticking out. Repaired myself. *And now the bed room slide has a really terrible leak. Fixed myself *Denotes items I consider to be major flaws *December 31 2020. Due to the strain on the awning motor listed above the motor has now failed and I cannot Retract the awning. Trying to contact Keystone as this was turned in for warranty and never fixed. Keystone sent me a check for $500 for all my down time.
- Stephen Gillenwater, Ohio

2020-12-31 2019 Palomino Columbus 1492 View Listings

I had the rv back to Hitch rv on three different occasions for a window leaking. It was never fixed properly and now that the warranty is up Hitch is saying their no longer responsible for the damage the leak caused. I would recommend never buying a Forest River rv, and especially never buy an rv from Hitch.
- William DeGroff, New Jersey

2020-12-29 2016 Palomino Backpack Edition 550 View Listings

Our Palomino was great one week into our trip. Exactly seven days after we started travelling I noticed that the mattress was getting mouldy. Out closet and clothes storage is under the bed, and by bed I mean a simple ply wood surface where the mattress lays. That doesn’t allow any air circulation and we now have to lift the mattress and hold it with a stick every day, let aside taking it out in the sun and spray it with products for mould. The lifting mechanism for the bed (and closet underneath it) broke one week in. The awning pole broke after the slightest wind. And finally the easy charging ports (alligator chargers outside) for solar panels broke. Very disappointing this RV. Rubbish
- Liza, Arkansas

2020-12-28 2019 Jayco North Point 385THWS View Listings

I really loved traveling in that RV it’s luxuriously comfortable can bring golf cart or motorcycle my F3 50 Ford diesel pulled it like it wasn’t even back there went up north to New Hampshire and Maine and then down to Florida that’s all it has traveled only reason I’m selling it it’s because we bought a house in Florida. It’s like new you can save 25,000 buying both truck and camper
- Eric Pust, New York

2020-12-28 2018 Keystone Montana 3730FL View Listings

Love the floor plan of this RV . So spacious. Abundance of cabinets and storage love the full size refrigerator. never had a problem with any. The fireplace in the living room makes it very cozy on cool evenings.
- LindA, Texas

2020-12-26 2017 Keystone Sprinter 293FWBHS View Listings

I purchase a 2017 Sprinter travel trailer that will stay in one spot. My only complaint is why one of my heater vent is under my recliner and a rug. How stupid is that? I think the camper would heat up faster without that blockage.
- Dennis Rae, Florida

2020-12-24 2016 Prime Time Crusader 322RES View Listings

The Crusader 322RES was the perfect RV for my husband and myself. There was plenty of room inside, enough even when the grandkids showed up. The living room slide with its panoramic windows makes the experience of camping even better--you really feel like you are in the out doors. The RV is very well constructed and performed outstandingly. While we never lived it in full time, it would be a pleasure to experience.
- Judith, Missouri

2020-12-23 2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

We can't praise the Grand Design Middlebury, Indiana factory enough for the work they did on our Solitude 5th wheel. We dropped it off with a list of warranty issues we had built up for two years and they did an amazing job fixing everything and even more. The inside was cleaned to perfection. And this is why we went with Grand Design, they truly back up their units.
- Kathy, Pennsylvania

2020-12-22 2020 Highland Ridge RV Open Range OF374BHS View Listings

Bought brand new 2020 42 ft 374 MBH Worst camper ever! Horribly built, Chinese crappy material, fake stainless steel, heater vents full of Debris! Heater didn’t work day 1! New heater put in and it melted bathroom floor! Dealer cut out around vent and left styrofoam in vent along with the wood and metal shavings from factory and a malfunctioning heater that melted floor and sent it back home to a family like that! Smelt something smouldering in the middle of night, I ran to that same vent and saw styrofoam melting with a small flame! 1 year later ( yes they left us like this for a year) the repairs are done, but worse than prior, heater still doesn’t shut off dispite thermostat being set ( new one) and ac turns on half the time instead of heater! The floor is peeling away from the wall they caulked it to the same day we got it back! Big bubbles in floor now which was a seamless floor they put a crooked tack strip in door way and door trim on the floor to try and hold the floor down! Only on half bathroom they broke sink underneath fixtures and left it leaking everywhere, and put in a shattered vent when it wasn’t broke before! It was so bad that I thought it was a prank or they had purposely done it this bad! There are about 20 more massive issues this unit has! Awning arm snapped missing my head by 1/4 inch and with such force it bent the arm elbow sideways 2 feet touching the dining Rm window! It was installed a inch too far over so it snapped randomly at no fault of ours! We were told that our vacuum bonded seal floor was bad in master and they couldn’t fix only manufacturer can. Next visit it miraculously wasnt that anymore and they shimmed a piece of wood to stop the popping sound! Well it didn’t it made it much worse and then caused a huge line with a 1.5 inch virtcal hump on master bed floor that trips you every time! Dealer also cut perfectly good wire in underbelly trying to figure out why he wasn’t getting power then after he cut cords to water pump and got power he realized he didn’t run it to inverter box! Then he spliced the ruined unnecessarily cut water pump wire back together ! There are so many big issues to list! We were offered $10,000 less for unit than what we paid by dealer because they could see a lawsuit brewing which was not cool considering it was defective from day 1 and they have put us though hell, but when We asked for them to put it on paper and not just a sticky note he said ok went inside then came back out empty handed and told us that he had been advised not to. We are not the type of people to sue or threaten a lawyer, we’re good honest hardworking people, but at this point we don’t have much choice! This unit was a dud right out of manufacturer but I think the dealership is responsible for all the shotty botched work and mistakes they made! My 9 year old boy could’ve fixed it better!
- Lauren white, Idaho

2020-12-22 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5K View Listings

We bought a 2020 Unit to find out that they upgraded some things so they could sell it as a 2020. We did not want the massage recliners, the specs said trifold couch so it only sleeps 2 people now. The other recliners are junk, the back is broke in half one one of them. 3 days after we bought it the power board for the refrigerator broke so it only works one 115 volts now and not on gas. I talked to the warranty people and was told it’s a norcold problem and they don’t warranty individual appliances. I talk to norcold and got the big runaround, still no gas operation and can’t get them to talk to the RV people in town to get it fixed. Day 1 we stopped to eat and the fan blades and screws were on the floor. We had to buy a fold out couch and not sure what to do about the broken recliner. We asked for the optional A/C and was told sorry there are non available. They installed a horrible magnifying mirror in the bathroom as a rip off upgrade, it went in the trash. We did not get what the original specification sheet said was in it and feel very ripped off. I found 20 stripped cabinet screws and had to epoxy them in the holes. The tv in the living room flops around and if you don’t hold it back against while putting the slide out it will catch and rip the tv out of the wall and destroy the trim on the slide out. We talked to the dealer where we bought it and got no response except to call whoever made the furniture and appliances to get warranty. This is so far been impossible to achieve as no one backs their products. We don’t know what to do or how to get satisfaction for a badly engineered and subpar furniture and appliances. I had to move the shower head assembly from the middle of the stall and put it on the corner so the water actually hits you now. They installed it above the seat that’s to small to sit on and it was impossible to take a shower the way it was made. The company needs to fire all their engineers and find better vendors for appliances and if someone would help us it would be nice. In my opinion no one should purchase a Northwood made RV and we are out $60,000 for this piece of junk. Maybe someone at the company will read this and make amends but we don’t think this will happen because we just get the runaround from everyone.
- Russell Larsen, New Mexico

2020-12-21 2020 Keystone Montana 3720RL View Listings

In September 2020, I purchase a brand-new Keystone Montana 3720 5th wheel from Affinity RV in Prescott Arizona. The sales staff were very good and we agreed on a price. I was told that I could pickup the new RV in about 1 ½ weeks. I drove the 923 miles to Prescott from No. California. When I arrived, I was given the walk through and told that some parts were missing, that they would be ordered and then sent to me. I stayed the night at the dealership and noticed that the refrigerator would not cool, the cable tv switch did not work, ceiling fan did not work, and a couple of other minor issues. Lots of promises were made regarding parts and service. These all turned out to be lies. After returning home with the new unit, I attempted to contact Affinity to determine the status of my replacement parts. Calls went mostly unanswered. I left messages with never a returned call from service. I contacted my salesman numerous times, which usually resulted with a phone call from service with more lies about delays from the manufacturer (Keystone). I called keystone and they said that the parts had shipped and were delivered that day. I called back a week later and was told that the only way to get the parts to me was to remover and send my original parts to them and that I would have to pay to ship the replacements parts to me. I called Keystone again and complained. Then I received a call from Affinity Service telling me that they would send me the missing parts but not the replacement parts? I could come to Affinity, 925 miles one way, and the parts would be installed. I called and complained to my salesman again and then I received a call back from Chris in service telling me to sent in my parts and after receiving them they would send me the placement parts at my expense. I sent my parts to affinity around the 10th of November. They received them four days later. I included my mailing information, phone number, and instructions to call me for credit card information for the shipping. No response. I called a week later left a message. No Response! I contacted the salesman again, then received a call from Chris, saying that the parts would be taken to the parts department, they would contact me for credit card info. After one week, I called Affinity again, left a message, NO RESPONSE!!! I called parts a few days later. They said that did not have any information regarding any parts and that Chris was the only one that knew anything about it and he was off sick with Covid-19. I called a few more time and left messages, NO RESPONSE!!!!!, I left an email for the Sales Manager, detailing my frustration. I received a call the next morning. I was told that Chris was still of sick and that he was going to find out what was going on and that someone would call me. NO RESPONSE!!!. Today I called Affinity again, tried parts, message machine, called back, tried service, message machine, called back tried parts again, human answered, told that they would call me back. Guess what? NO RESPONSE!!!! I don’t know what to do?? Any Help would be appreciated. Thank You. David Van Denover
- davidvd2763, South Dakota

2020-12-21 2005 Keystone Cougar 281EFS View Listings

I want to let everyone know about the cheap quality of most of the materials used to build, the craftsmanship looks like a 10 year old did it and did not care about anything from squareness to clean-up in the vents to cutting holes for plumbing, so many things about the workmanship, it would be pages.Super disappointed and would bet the cheap Chinese would do better, just take a good look at all angles before you lay down hard earned money for this 3rd string rig!
- fayspainting, New Mexico

2020-12-20 2016 KZ Durango Gold 370RLT View Listings

We love are Durango Gold. It’s been our full time RV for 4 years. It’s been a gem. My wife loves all the storage and I was so impressed with the outdoor garage. Have never had issues with pulling, pulls like an dream. I pull it with my Dodge Ram 3500. Had many adventures in it, it’s so perfect for full timing. Our lives have changed, otherwise we wouldn’t even think of selling it.
- Rick Van Tassel, Arizona

2020-12-18 2020 Keystone Springdale 302FWRK View Listings

Nice camper, love the layout. Pulls easily and would say quality is on par with others. Biggest complaint is warranty. Used this camper 1 time and when picking up camp and getting ready to leave, I noticed the siding above the hot water heater was tarnished. Upon inspection found the heat deflector shield behind the door was not installed properly and was allowing the heat to go straight up and out the lip of the door instead of out the door vent. Dealer repaired the vent but Keystone denied fixing the paint because it had a bug screen installed. What a joke, let’s find any reason to screw the customer.
- David Bass, Arkansas