5th Wheel

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2021-09-21 2018 Heartland Bighorn Traveler 39MB View Listings

Although we only owned it a few months before downsizing due to different needs, we were pretty pleased with our 2018 Bighorn Traveler 39MB. The floor plan was great and overall quality was decent. The two issues that we did encounter: - the ducting for the bedroom AC had been taped over, evidently during manufacture/AC installation, so we had to fix that ourselves. - the ducting to the bunk room never worked, and we never had the opportunity to troubleshoot that.
- James C, California

2021-09-20 2018 Keystone Alpine 3400RS View Listings

I own a Keystone Alpine 3400RS and really enjoy it. The unit's overall quality has been quite good. When we tow it we do not feel it behind the truck. It tracks very well and does not sway at all. We like the floor plan, it provides a lot of room in all areas that allow you to move around comfortably. We really like the bedroom, bathroom, and shower area. You don not feel cramped at all. The living area is configured very well. Kitchen area is very convenient and all appliances are high quality. The auto leveling system is terrific. All you need to do is park the unit, hook it up and push auto leveling. Within seconds it is level and ready for the slide outs to be deployed. When it is raining or cold weather it is very nice to set up in minimum time and get in the unit where it is warm. The electric fireplace is another feature that we really use and is an absolute must when it is a little cold outside. It can heat up the living area very nice with the bedroom and bathroom doors closed. Really reduces the use of propane. We have had our unit for a little over three years and have not had any problems with it. We get a lot of favorable comments on it when we are out and about. If you are looking for a unit I would recommend putting this on your list to check out.
- Markham S. Keene, Washington

2021-09-20 2021 Vanleigh RV Beacon 42RKB View Listings

Slapped together piece of junk. We thought that buying a very expensive RV would help us avoid the issues we’d been hearing about poor manufacturing quality but that has not been the case. On our first 3 week trip it became a standing joke that we would open the door and find out what had broken. After waiting 3 months to get in for warranty work we have a huge list of everything from major electrical failures to atrocious fit and finish. We are looking forward to getting the 20 Items on our warranty list completed so we can sell this and be done. Caveat emptor…
- Jim Lewis, Arizona

2021-09-19 2020 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS View Listings

I have done a review of this RV previously, I love it, it's a very nicely appointed RV. But, take the theatre seat controls off of the cup holder. They go off all the time when you put your drink in the cup holder or simply put your hand on the armrest. Not a big deal but should be changed, small design flaw.
- James, British Columbia

2021-09-18 2021 Vanleigh RV Beacon 42RKB View Listings

We brought a brand new Vilano in Feb 2021 to full tome RV in. We brought it home and it had problems from the start. The heat and ac was supposed to be 3 zone, but all three sensors are in the same place, water pipes were not tight and leaked, tank sensors didn’t work, CO detector did not work, window frames were dented, ice maker was leaking, furnace doesn’t actually heat the living space, and more from the beginning. When summer began I started not feeling well. My doctor had me hire a mold inspection company and the AC units are full of mold because the manufacturer left a ton of wood shavings in the ac and air ducts. The water heat has mold on the insulation because the exterior access was not sealed and water probably got in at the dealer since we kept the trailer covered. The trailer is no longer usable. I contacted vanleigh and heard nothing back. We spent over $10,000 on inspection and have to move to an apartment now. This destroyed my health.
- Kathleen Tufto, Oregon

2021-09-18 2021 Forest River Impression 370 View Listings

This is my first and last RV. The rig came from Moses lake, clickit RV and the sales man, Ryan, wanted to sell me a 6400 dollar extended warranty. They do not tell you that you have to bring the rig to them and that they do not have a mobile service to come to you for manufacture warranty defects. The TV speaker was blown and the sound bar didn’t work. The steps were not aligned correctly so the door is very hard to open and close. The unit itself is made very cheap. The sales people know nothing about the rig or warranty. Make sure before the rv leaves the lot you turn on everything to see if it’s it working order. I live in my RV abd I have no way to move it. Dealing with forest river warranty has been a horrible experience in itself. They will not live up to their one year manufacturer warranty
- Cheryl wilson, Washington

2021-09-18 2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

Our Grand Design is truly luxurious. The floor plan is unique in that the shower is separate from the bathroom which adds more privacy. Also a great extra feature is the extra door between bedroom door and kitchen area. Keeps the noise down if your hubby gets up earlier than you. The windows galore and storage galore is the icing on the cake with this model!
- Janice Feuerhelm, Texas

2021-09-17 2009 Forest River Sierra 305RGS View Listings

My experience with this rig has been absolutely phenomenal! I was new to rv life and jumped in with zero knowledge while I was new to starting travel nursing. If I can do this, anyone can, and this rig was perfect for a smooth transition into this new lifestyle. This rig only had 2 previous owners, a travel nurse prior to me, and a sweet elderly couple who unfortunately weren't able to use it due to aome health conditions, but they always had it stored inside so the decals and exterior are still in mint condition. My favorite feature of this rig is the On Demand Hot Water Heater, and I highlight this because as a lady who loves long hot showers this feature is part of what has made this rig feel like home! I love the electric fireplace and all of the renovated upgrades really give this rig a more "home style" feel. Having never left from home, this was important to me. My cat and dog have absolutely loved living in it too! We're all 3 sad to let it go because it's such a wonderful home, and it's what brought us safely to California. Life always has changes and it's time for me to let it go as I no longer need it for travel. The rig is beautiful and solid amd is really meant to be used to explore the country in. It sits lovely in our permanent RV campground parking spot, but it deserves to have someone or a family who will use all of it's benefits and get the most of what the rig is capable of. Some more features that's made this rig so wonderful to live in are the washer/dryer combo unit that sits conveniently hidden in the bedroom closet. It's very quiet and very energy and water efficient. Also, no lint mess ever to clean! The kitchen has a deep sink with a retractable faucet head to make doig thanksgiving dishes a breeze! Yes, you can cook a full thanksgiving meal in this rig. The oven works better than the oven in my previous condo! It's small because it's a camper oven, but the quality is excellent and very efficient on propane. When I first got this rig last year in June, both propane tanks were full amd I didn't have to do my first refill until January of this year, and I cooked big meals everyday, did laundry all the time, and took long hot showers everyday and washed dishes with hot water everyday! The roof is in immaculate condition. I did a lot of preventative maintenance with new seals and new rubber roof coating so the rig wouldn't need anything exterior for a good few years. This rig has a squeaky clean history, no leaks, water dmamage, or collisions. The kitchen floor layout is ideally placed in the back to allow for a more roomy living space. The furniture is included and is very comfy, the couch can easily sleep two people comfortably. When you walk in the rig, it just has a clean modern home style feel to it, all of my guests have made similar compliments, and that it "feels like a house more than a camper". My other favorite feature of this rig is the camper king bed, it's so comfortable and can easily sleep 2-3 people. The kitchen table and dresser tops are customer made as well as the barn style sliding bedroom door. Being a woman coming from a 2 bedroom condo with both closets full of clothes, this rig has a ton of storage space! I barely had to get rid of any of my clothes or kitchen accessories because there's just so much storage space everywhere in this rig. I mostly just got rid of my furniture when I moved in the rig. Learning how to operate the slides and landing gear was such a breeze, and it's what I was most nervous about being new to anything camp-like aside from a tent. I replaced the Double pole double throw momentary switch, all that stands for is the switch that controls your automatic extend/retract for the frint jacks. It was a simple plastic piece and I was able to replace it myself! I replaced it due to it just being old and starting to wear out and again, wanted to make preventative maintenance. I've loved living in this fifth wheel, and if it doesn't sell I plan to keep it in storage in a closed unit until I finish school and may just use it as a vacation home or air bnb it when I get some property. I've had a lot of people say that the rig is priced too high, but it's priced just under market value per NADA. There have been a lot of upgrades to this rig including preventative work, and has been extremely well taken care of, it's rare to find a fifth wheel with this floor plan to be in such solid condition. It was previously professionally inspected when I first was originally going to sell it earlier in the year, but decided to wait, the inspector said, "this is a solid rig and dont low ball yourself on it". I'm willing to be flexible and negotiate my sale price, but not by much and I am taking the time to make sure my home goes to the right person or family who will love it and care for it as much as I do, so Im in no rush to sell it, it'll sell at the right time and to the right next prospective owner.
- Grace, California

2021-09-17 2020 Highland Ridge RV Open Range OF427BHS View Listings

We love the Open Range 427BHS. We realized after 18 months we do not utilize the outdoor kitchen, so that has been a wasted feature for us and a waste of valuable space. The floor plan is great. We are a family of 5 and have lived in our 427BHS for 18 months, and have no complaints. There are minor things I would tweak if I could, but overall this is a great unit.
- Lindsay Waterman, Texas

2021-09-17 2018 Grand Design Solitude 373FB View Listings

Have a 2018 GD Solitude 373FB. I have been RVing over nearly 25 years. All I can say to this rig has given me the most grief of any rig I have ever owned. This is my 5th rig and 1st GD and I am not impressed. Bought this new and have already replaced micro/conv oven, both AC units, main TV, toilet, outdoor shower unit, carefree awning, and parts on the Thomas Pain recliner/love seat. Also, every time I go on a trip my pantry shelves fall. My recent road trip brought the window treatment over the table down, caused the shade to come out of the track, and scratched up the table. Still can't get the rail the shade is on to re-engage and hold the shade up. The pocket door also came off the track while secured. Oh yeah, and the Thomas Pain recliner isn't operation again. Will likely toss this poorly designed love seat for 1 Lazy boy RV size recliners. I know most GD owners think the world of their RV, but I can't recommend them. Structurally they may be well built, but the finish out is cheap. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty. It has saved me thousands, but I am moving to full-timing and can't have the rig tied up in the shop.
- Alan Rochkus, Texas

2021-09-17 2014 Redwood RV Redwood 36RL View Listings

We purchased this new. The bedroom slide never worked correctly from day 1. The front of the slide would come out a couple inches when traveling. I took it to 3 different dealers trying to figure out what was wrong. Everyone said it was out of time and they corrected the problem. Even the factory techs told me the same thing at the Redwood rally. So last year we finally figured out the problem. It was the slide mechanism that was broke. All three slides have leaked and we spent over $21,000.00 repairing them. The company that repaired it said the the workmanship was terrible and it had been leaking for a long time. I called Redwood many times for help and they just said to take it to a dealer. Now its not their problem because its out of warranty. I told them the bedroom slide had been a problem since we bought it. They told me that I should have kept taking it back to the dealer. I told them that it has been there 6 times with the same response that it was just out of time. Bottom line is the factory people don't care and will provide NO help in trying to resolve any problems. They are way over priced for they quality that you receive. We will never own another one.
- Mark Dennis, Ohio

2021-09-16 2019 Keystone Montana High Country 379RD View Listings

The Montana High Country 379 RD is a great RV. It a top of the line coach with excellent craftsmanship. A very solid and well built unit that has many features to make traveling in it a wonderful experience.
- Ting Weston, Texas

2021-09-15 2019 Forest River Riverstone 39RKFB View Listings

2019 Forest River, Riverstone 39RKFB. Definitely the best 5th wheel to go full time in. The 2019 is the best year though for sure, After years of experience we've learned that Forest River is one of the much better brands but the 2019 seems to have the best craftsmanship and solid material. We bought one and have lived in it for a long time and we don't plan on that changing anytime soon. The quality and craftsmanship is outstanding. We live in WA state and it rains and storms constantly so we needed something built well and durable. The only thing is that it is pretty heavy so we had to upgrade the truck but it's been worth it. We've done full time living with a few other rigs but this one is the best. It's a solid vehicle and after 2 years of living in it full time we've never had anything break or stop working. The prices are of course a bit high usually but you get what you pay for. I know of only one other person that owns the same year and model and they've had the same experience.
- Zachary, Washington

2021-09-15 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS View Listings

This is the worst rv on the market 6mts out ov warranty a nightmare outside molding coming apart awnings pulling away from wall floor boards Crack from day 1 do not buy this camper paid 60k not worth the money.A friend of of mine told me not to buy he was right
- James montanaro, New York

2021-09-15 2011 Heartland Big Country 3650RL View Listings

Pros: Love the Granite countertops and beautiful wood finished cabinets! The rear living area is spacious and cozy. Large bathroom is always a plus. More than ample storage inside and underbelly. Cons: None that I have found
- Vanessa Ingalsbe, Florida

2021-09-15 2015 Heartland Bighorn 3750RL View Listings

We bought it new .Day one one cabinet door it fell off ,nail almost going through the roof that’s the first day. Awning had to be replace,stove pilot light quit working,all 4 shocks leak,power cord had to be replace almost cause a fire all plastic on furniture coming off. That’s the beginning .Many other things to write about. I will never buy another Heartland product. I had some junky trailers before this and the were better.
- Miles, Iowa

2021-09-13 2019 Keystone Fuzion Impact 343 View Listings

Simply a very sturdy built unit that has taken us on many great trips with only minor trim type issues common to all new travel trailers. Dealt with customer support a couple of times and they were amazing. The unit looks sharp, pulls great, and has all of the comfort ammenities most people would want.
- Todd Mueller, Colorado

2021-09-13 2019 Heartland Bighorn Traveler 32CK View Listings

This unit is differently build for those that Want Full Timing or Just Week-end Campers. More room than can imagine,38' With 4 slides the large square foot living with 2 Electric Recliners 55" TV, Pull Out Queen Couch Fire Place. More comfort than Home. The Large Horse Shoe design Kitchen with cabinets for all kitchen needs. 110 volt 18 sq. ft. French Door Refrigerator The Bathroom has a Full Size Shower with seat, 2 FULL Linin Closets. Bedroom with extended SECOND SLIDE, Gives you an extremely large room with your King Bed, (New Mattress), Full Cloths Closet for two. Includes a Washer and Dryer Hookup. Locker outside with small Refrig.
- Russ, Florida

2021-09-13 2021 Forest River Riverstone Legacy 39RKFB View Listings

Purchased our 2021 Riverstone Legacy unit in early May. Dealer delivered it to our home. They forgot to secure both barn style doors and one of the outside storage doors and damaged the barn door hardware and the walls. This had nothing to do with Forest River. However there were other items, that were factory issues. The door to the lower restroom and the walk in closet looked like a seagull bombed it on the backside. Big brown stain on a gray door. The walk in closet door looked like a 3rd grader hung it. Very crooked and out of plumb. Huge gap at the top for the frame. The stabilizer jacks leak hydraulic oil The big vanity mirror had a corner chipped on it. Now the leveling system is showing and error on it and beeping constantly As of July 6th, Forest River had not "approved" the repairs. When pressed about this the dealer's service Manager told me I could give them my Credit Card info and they would order the parts. I told them I had the extended warranty (purchased through Forest River) so I didn't see why they needed my CC as I was told this covered anything the factory warranty didn't when purchased July 14th the repairs were finally approved. It is now Sept 13th and nothing has been done. We just made the 4th payment on an RV that we have not been able to use at all. The dealer blames Forest River for not shipping the repair parts yet. As if this wasn't enough, now there is a recall on the Lippert system slide out. We want to live in our RV by the 1st of October. I think Forest River should reimburse us for the 4 payments since we haven't used it at all. We don't want to mention the dealer until our RV is repaired, as we are afraid of retribution. We loved this RV when we purchased it. I would not recommend buying anything at this point from Forest River or the dealer we had.
- RANDALL FELTER, Utah

2021-09-13 2009 Northwood Nash 21R View Listings

Seeing a few posts related to springs and axles failing. Figured to add my experiences. A few years back I had springs break on my '09 NASH 21R a 1/4 mile from the house after an 1100 mile trip. I got VERY lucky being able to limp it home to the barn. I replaced both axles and springs. Upgraded from #3500 dual to #5200 dual axles and springs(Lippert)and also upgraded from stock equalizers to Road Armor tandem axle equalizers. So far so good. Love the trailer in all other aspects and plan to own it for quite some time. I expect no further issues with the running gear. CH Tie Siding, WY
- chris harvey, Wyoming

2021-09-13 2017 Augusta LUXE LF-39FB View Listings

I can best describe the LUXE as the nicest apartment you have ever seen. Setup and pack out is extremely quick with the towing smooth as butter. Fit and finish are extremely durable and comparable to high end home finishes. I am 6'6" and have no issues anywhere in the unit. If you want a unit that never ages, this is it! Factory Warranty/Support in my case is a one off. I purchased when Augusta was bought out by RV Factory and the transition was horrendous.
- Thomas Magee, Virginia

2021-09-13 2015 Keystone Cougar 244RLSWE View Listings

I'll write this simply as a story of my experiences. Wife and I originally had a 32ft Forest River Salem 5th wheel RV which was 'OK' but quite heavy and chunky, the old square-slab-fronted aluminum-finish type. At 10yrs old it had a few things needing attention, while also being a bit big for just 2 of us when we preferred Boondocking off the grid roughing it out in the wilds. So I traded the Salem in for this smaller 5th wheel, the smallest I think I could find, while also being a more-common type. When collected from Santa Rosa CA, I had to join heavy fast-moving freeway traffic quickly and my truck towing this trailer moved SO easily, as if it was not there, feeling lighter and aerodynamically better than our previous RV. The all-in-one fiberglass sides are a great benefit. When you downsize in length, it's invariably the kitchen area that gets hit with the most reduction, so the wife wasn't so happy, but there's only so much you can fit into a 27ft RV while still retaining an acceptable amount of wriggle room. She adapted very well and was still able to cook a full (15lb) turkey dinner at one point! The inbuilt (propane/12v) furnace isn't very economical and quite noisy, so we preferred to use a Big Buddy Mr Heater propane heater, which quietly and quickly warmed the RV in a few minutes. The aircon takes awhile to cool a warm RV but this is really the case for all RV's. Admittedly the insulation in the nose was almost non-existent so I removed the inside front trim to insert a lot of insulation, and fill some draughty gaps. I like the layout design of this RV in that, even with the slide-out retracted, it's still possible (just, if you're slim) to squeeze past between the kitchen counter and the slide-out bench seat, meaning you can still 'live in it' (including having access to the fridge!) with the slide-out in if camping at a restricted location. I'd rate the build quality as 'typical'. I believe - and this has been borne out by guys I've talked to in repair shops - that it doesn't matter whether you go for a cheaper or higher-end manufacturer, you can still get a lemon, or a good RV, just by pot-luck! So sometimes cabinet shelves can fall down while driving along rough roads, or bodywork can come away, or you find staples sticking out of the carpet, simply because they throw these things together 'on the clock'. You need to expect this if you're a Newbie to RV's! I incorporated so many personal mods on my RV, such as 6 solar panels in the roof, meaning voiding warranties, but I didn't have any major issues I couldn't handle by myself requiring me to consider any claims. This RV, just as most others, had a lot of 'dead space' hidden behind blank panels that I removed and made better use of. In 6 years our Cougar traveled 29,000miles on 9 trips, covering 11 western USA states, staying at 127 camping locations - nearly all for FREE thanks to its Boondocking capabilities! That was thanks to my modifications with adding solar and lithium batteries but also we learned to economize and the water/dump tanks could last us several weeks between servicing them. Overall I find the Cougar an average but quite acceptable model, and would recommend it.
- Dave R, California

2021-09-12 2020 Prime Time Crusader Lite 29BB View Listings

Our first time out the water heater had to be replaced. The more time we spent inside our camper the more things we found wrong with it. Paneling not lining up,very poorly put together, staples in the ceiling coming out, batteries don't last, scratches here and there. If we had to do it over again we would pass.
- Ron Bodge, Montana

2021-09-12 2014 EverGreen Bay Hill 310RE View Listings

We just bought our 2014 bayhill 310re. very beautiful desighn but there are a few issues that might need to be addressed by a mechanically inclined individual. like some of the led lights were burned out, and there are alot of random screws that dont seem to be all the way installed.at some point the tires can burn thru the bottom of the slides,so you will have to install rock gaurds to protect the bottom of the trailer and top of the tires. There does seem to be a lack of support in wheel well covers. Little bit of bubbling coming from the roof. Recommend having the unit resealed looks like the factory seal is starting to not hold up over time. Not a bad trailer to start with if your just getting into the 5th wheel life.but be expecting to spend some weekends doing projects here and there. the company no longer exists so it's not for a non tinkering person and parts will be difficult to come by.
- Ben, Washington