5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (2,417)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2020-05-27 2017 Prime Time Sanibel 3751-C View Listings

Love that it can be lived in for long periods of time. Wish I could control the pump outs from inside. Love having a washer and dryer in the unit. Love having double sinks in the bathroom along with a full size shower.
- Meshell Sullivan, Florida

2020-05-26 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

The 40’ RV is the perfect length to tow and for weeks on livability. This particular RV is very spacious and comfortable. The kitchen layout is perfect for the family to interact while cooking eating and watching a late movie. The outside shower unit allows you to clean up your kids or family pet before entering the RV. But one of the most important and best feature is the one touch self leveling of the Solitude RV by Grand Design.
- David Kellerman , Iowa

2020-05-26 2016 Forest River Sabre 36QBOK View Listings

Simply put this is the worst purchase we've ever made! This unit is so dangerous that we will never use it again. Every time we have used it we have blown (2) tires while in use. This is such a problem that Forest River took it from Arizona back to the factory in Indiana for repairs. We were with out it for almost a year. Once we got it back, we still have problems. This past weekend we blew two tires while traveling between Utah & Arizona. Care to guess how many spares are on-board this unit? Yep, just one! Chad Cook with Sabre Warranty confirmed that it is out of warranty and "good luck to you" ... even with the recorded history of this unit. We have had issues from the very first trip, what does it take to have someone look at this more? An accident with injuries or death? Anyway, we intend to pursue legal action, in the mean time PLEASE, PLEASE consider every other brand and manufacturer when making your next RV purchase.
- Nate, Arizona

2020-05-26 2017 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB View Listings

I found one more expensive in new Braunfels tx but, this one is in better conditions. It's missing variety of blinds, carpet and appears tio have haff water damage. I also noticed damaged seals on the slides and water marks on the walls and mouldings. I wad approved today and I am giving 3k down but just need to take mine in for trade in, so the deal is not closed yet!!!
- Salvador lopez jr, Texas

2020-05-24 2016 Heartland Gateway 3650BH View Listings

Love the floor plan of this RV but after 3 years the poor quality and craftsmanship is showing. The molding on outside is sun rotting and falling off, the wallpaper inside is peeling off in spots, dining bench broke twice because screw was not in right place, the outside walls os unit appear to be fading in spots, etc. we spend more time taking it in for repairs or repairing it ourselves then we do camping in it. And unfortunately the place we bought it has the worst service in the world.
- Denise, California

2020-05-24 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 371MBRB View Listings

Nice looking RV, comfortable but is extremely poorly built, we've had nothing but problems since purchasing this home way from home.Sent it back for warranty work because the chassis was flexing enough to cause the front bedroom closet wall to pull away from its framing. They supposedly fixed it but it continues to do the same thing. A very large investment like this for a hard working, middle class American with a large family looking to have some fun with their family shouldnt have to worry after their purchase on something like this. I've had so many issues with this thing I could write a book, but we have no choice but to use it due to the contract we signed. Don't ever do business with this company because they don't stand behind their product nor do they care about personal safety or if their Lippert Chassis may have issues. They are just out to make money and don't care about their customers after they sign the contract to be paid. I wish I never sold my Keystone RV I had before this thing, even though I love the room in this one.
- Todd Davis, New Hampshire

2020-05-24 2020 Vanleigh RV Pinecrest 335RLP View Listings

Please be careful buying this 5th wheel. I purchased a new 2020 five days ago. On the second night of camping the large, kitchen slide refused to open. Lots of trouble shooting later, it appears that the worm drive (or whatever you call that thing) on the opposite side of the RV had detached from the I-Beam frame, so you can't even extend it with the manual crank. The RV is usable (if uncomfortable) with that slide not extended. You just can't open some cabinets or use the range/microwave/kitchen sink. Should be fun finishing my trip from Florida to Alaska with this slide non-operational. So much for thinking I'll avoid problems by buying brand new.
- Dave Stephens, Florida

2020-05-23 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 37MDQS View Listings

this 5th wheel is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. We used it for 2 weeks. The Fridge quit, the microwave died, the slide leaks, the nose cap is coming off, the awning quit........ there were 15 things on the repair list. It has been in the shop for NINE months, there is a suspension recall that we have been waiting to have fixed since January. The work has not started, they have no plan at this point its been at the dealers longer than we have had it home. I am at my wits end. I dont know what to do. The dealer blames Jayco and I am still waiting for our unit. What do I do?
- Julia Sundeol, British Columbia

2020-05-22 2018 Forest River Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FBD View Listings

We purchased a new Cedar Creek Hathaway for the floor plan and finishes. After camping several times in our area, we made a trip to Alaska. The camper developed several problems to include window seals, split half bath wall, and slide issues. We were able to get the slide partially repaired, and finished our time in Alaska. I called cedar creek and was directed to an authorized shop in Coeur d'alene Idaho. I was told the camper would have to return the camper for slide rail upgrade. The half bath wall, as I was told, would need to be re-glued (wall joists did not line up) and the leaking window did not get addressed. I traded in the camper and will not buy another Forest River product.
- Terry Custer, Tennessee

2020-05-22 2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH View Listings

We purchased this unit new from a dealership in Milwaukie, Or. We selected this unit because it has a nice floor plan for our family and my in-laws owned a Solitude that seemed to be of nice quality. I have owned several RV travel trailers and I am familiar with the ins and outs of them. From build to deliver to what should be a final inspection and then minor repairs and adjustments at time of purchase or preferably before purchase. This unit seemed as good or better than any of our previously purchased rvs. However, time will tell. Turns out the air ducting into the front bedroom was loose and fell off. The dometic thermostat and control panel was defective. The outside refrigerator brackets were ripped out of the wall. The shelf in the compartment next to the outside refrigerator was cheaply made with a flimsy base that sagged within one month of normal use. The awning was twisted due to the fabric being incorrectly installed on the roller. The kitchen cabinet under the sink has misaligned doors that basically need to be completely rebuilt due to unsuccessful attempts at fixing which caused to many holes for the hinges. The table does not sit flat. Leans to the inside. The hot water heater would not ignite. And the biggy, Grand Design did not follow dometic installation recommendations for the refrigerator. The specs say no more than a quarter inch of space between the refrigerator and the walls of the cabinet it is installed in. Grand design had as much as six inches on one side and about ten inches at the top. The so called baffle intended to direct the heated air from operation outside the top vent was warped and just hung loose from the ceiling of the slide out. All of the heated air was just surrounding the refrigerator compromising its ability to cool and stay cool. After a year of in and out of the dealer and constantly communicating with the dealer and Grand Design I began to realize that I was simply being blown off. They all have their basic test protocols and supposedly all the tests showed the refrigerator functions properly. Except the tests were never done in real world conditions. 80 degree days, full of food, the doors being open and closed, etc. After I finally gave up on Grand Design and the dealer I decided what do I have to loose? I pulled the refrigerator out myself and that’s when I discovered the shameful installation attempt on Grand Designs part. The space and the baffle faults. The insulation they put in around the refrigerator was pathetic as well. The bare minimum literally. It may as well not even been there. I reinstalled the unit using foam board insulation filling 100% of the gaps at the sides and the top. I created a baffle that literally does not allow the intended exhausted air from the fans at the rear to go anywhere except out of the upper side vent. Guess what? Now the refrigerator stays cool. No more fluctuations from 37 degrees to more than 50 degrees through the day. No thanks to Grand Design or the dealer. As far as all the other things I mentioned, I also fixed myself. The final inspections from Grand Design and the dealer was a fail if even performed. Grand Design claimed to be a company who wanted to take all of the things they learned from working at previous RV companies and the things they have learned from past customer feedback and improve on these things. Especially in the customer service aspect. My personal experience is they are no different at all. Yes they may have their top of the line model and may be better than average. But really? What does that mean? I experienced all of the same issues dealing with Grand Design as with any other average company who looks out for their best interests over the consumer. The best trailer I ever owned as far as quality and functionality was a Keystone Outback. I was hoping it would be our new Reflection. Sadly it turned out to no Grand Design at all.
- Jeremy Imes, Oregon

2020-05-22 2020 Forest River Cardinal Luxury 3700FLX View Listings

We bought 2020 cardinal luxury 370FLX We LOVE IT! However we have had issues. The wiring ... the cable and satellite had issues.. Havent worked with the service department yet so ..... The ice maker doesnt work And it makes random clunking noises.. other than that we love it ... It's beautiful its homey and its ours... Time to travel and see Gods beautiful country
- Cassandra, Oregon

2020-05-20 2015 Heartland Bighorn 3755FL View Listings

This has been a great RV to us for the past 6 years. This is our 2nd Heartland. We have camped in hot Texas weather and cold Minnesota weather with no issues keeping comfortable. We would recommend this unit.
- Tammy Swanner, Texas

2020-05-20 2018 Forest River Cherokee Arctic Wolf 315TBH8 View Listings

We bought our Forest River Cherokee Arctic Wolf 315TBH8 New in 2018. The floor plan, color scheme and extras like auto level were what drew us to this product line. We soon realized that the overall attention to quality and detail was limited. Our awning was poorly mounted and had to be re-anchored, our entertainment system was wired incorrectly with no way of turning off external speakers, tv antenna was improperly secured and lost during travel, slide floors were improperly constructed allowing water to penetrate flooring, lots of molding and trim was loose or fell off. Although most repairs were easily fixed by myself, things like this shouldn’t be an issue when you make a purchase like this. Once I repaired/replaced the factory issues, I added a lippert suspension upgrade for smoother towing, under unit spare tire carrier, alternative color LED lights to awning for better illumination, etc. All this made the RV what it should have been when it was new.
- Brad Bartels , Colorado

2020-05-19 2019 Heartland Gateway 3900MB View Listings

We bought a 2019 Gateway 3900mb and this by far has been the best Fifth wheel so far. We live full time in this and have traveled some miles with this and we love it there is one problem that we have had and that is with the bathroom door but it's minor and we handle that. I have read alot of the reviews up top and all I can say is that every make and model have problems and it's up to you to find the one you like the most. I know some files that we camped by for a few weeks and they have a 2019 fifth wheel by a different maker and they have had nothing but problems with it and they have only had it since December and it has major problems. So like I said I love my Gateway hands down an amazing Fifth wheel / home and it's up to you what works for you
- Austin Andrews, Colorado

2020-05-19 2018 Forest River Cedar Creek Hathaway 36CK2 View Listings

Our RV looks stunning with the full body paint which matches our Dodge Ram 3500. It became embarrassing at times with the amount of compliments we get. We can’t fault the RV it tows really well, sometimes we have to look to see if it’s still following. We put this down to the set up with the side winder and the Air ride. We have the extra cab Dodge Ram 3500 with self leveling it seems to be the perfect set up. As for the RV it has everything we could possibly ask for. It doesn’t have a generator as we hate the noise but it is fully set up with solar and 4 deep cycle batteries, propane/electric fridge is great for overnighting anywhere or for boon-docking for extended periods. If a generator was to be added it is fully prepped for it. We are from Australia and have been sharing the American dream, however with the travel bans unlikely to be lifted for quite some time we are selling the RV we may consider selling the truck if anyone would like the unit.
- Roger Cartwright , Indiana

2020-05-17 2013 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 295RKD View Listings

34,000 miles on the Mountaineer 5th wheel. Many trips including 3 month trip across the US. So far just minor issues other than self inflected. Interior furniture starting show signs of wear. Decals on extertior still in good shape. Love the camper.
- michael cox, Maryland

2020-05-17 2008 Glendale RV Titanium 36E41TBR View Listings

We just bought this rv through and auction and I am having trouble finding a couple of pieces I need. I need the plastic piece that goes over the shower door roller and holds in in the track and also the bottom closet door slide that holds it in the track. With this company out of business I am struggling to anything that will work. I appreciate any suggestions. I have been to Modern trailer sales and he tried his best but no luck! Thanks!
- Diana Dull, Indiana

2020-05-17 2014 Heartland Big Country 3650RL View Listings

Looking for some insight. I recently bought this 2014 big country BC2950RK Used from the original owner. For the first time I totally filled the freshwater tank. I now have water dripping from the underbelly cover. Before I cut into it, wondering if anyone else has had this experience? Is there a overflow fitting, or tube that I should be looking for?
- Doug Austin , Florida

2020-05-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

I love how much entertaining room I have and the kitchen counters are more than I have ever experienced in a 5th wheel. The bathroom shower is so big and the outdoor kitchen is so nice to have. It is a very easy 5th wheel to pull.
- Marie, Tennessee

2020-05-17 2019 Highland Ridge RV Open Range Light LF295BHS View Listings

The highland ridge open range light LF295BHS is definitely the perfect camper. Being that it is half-ton towable is awesome, I can use my Ford F150. This unit was definitely made for a full family with everything thought of for us. Even our pets. Thank you highland ridge open range. I recommend this unit to everyone and always let people come insde and see our half ton light camper. Everyone is always surprised. We are getting everything the 44ft camper has in our 34ft camper. Amazing. This unit fills all our families needs with the amount of storage inside and outside we can bring all the toys for us adults, kids and pets with no worries. We use the hitch on the back for bikes, extra small trailer for wood and coolers. We love the 2ns AC unit keeps all areas cool when we need it in the summer and the fireplace is extra heat on the cooler nights. The outside kitchen was a huge plus because husband and kids are not running in and out of the camper all day. Everything is at their finger tips outside keeping it cleaner inside. The men and kids have a tv to watch outside. The bathroom has so much space it's an A+. My husband and I love the ability to get to the bathroom in privacy with the second pocket door from the master bedroom.
- Karen, Michigan

2020-05-16 2016 Heartland ElkRidge 39MBHS View Listings

I love this Rv. It has so much room and feels like a luxury apartment. It tows so nicely. I have not had any issues with warranty or anything else really on mine. I lived in mine for about 4 years and it still looks brand new. Best deal you are going to find.
- Lynn , Indiana

2020-05-16 2003 Gulf Stream Prairie Schooner 37FKS View Listings

Nice floorplan, ordered new. Lived in while contacting in Michigan and Iowa. Kitchen window started leaking first year, then window on opposite side by entry door the following year. Utility door in basement started leaking by third year. Large window in rear of rv started leaking after year seven. Pulled out couch one time and noticed a hole cut into the wall with no outlet installed, not even the electrical outlet and no wires. Amish craftsmen my ass! This rv was stored outside in storage lots when not in use. Sold in 2006 for $2000 as the water leaks had caused massive damage.
- Geoff Schofield , Michigan

2020-05-16 2019 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX View Listings

The biggest issue was the main slide out would not work. The manual crank could not be used,as the holes for the crank did not line up. Working through our RV dealer, No resolution, not a word from Forest River. Fortunately, the dealer made a work around so the slide motor resets itself. Also, glass fell out of an upper cabinet. The shower doors had to be re installed. Other experience’s have been great.
- David Cook, Washington

2020-05-16 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

Winter Texan Had to redo the heating system (from the factory thermostat set at 70, 85 bedroom temp, 65 basement, 52 living area 42deg. outside temp) plugged and improper sized duct. Factory said to take it to dealer. dealer told us we had to leave it with them and we would not rec. it back for 6 weeks.(not and option self fixed problem 3 60 to 80 yr. old's got it done). Just before the 1yr. warrantee was over dealer had to do nearly $5000 in factory covered repairs a plus for them. Seal under kitchen slide was terrible replaced with a Trippel seal self pay at 1 1/2 years really helped heating cost. At 2yrs. I had to replace the floor in bed slid bottom trim was not properly sealed at factory. When doing so found bottom of slide was 1/4" higher on one end? and 0 insulation in slide floor.
- tomwagner1951, Minnesota