5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (2,986)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2021-04-06 2019 Forest River Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK View Listings

We were so excited to buy our fifth wheel however about a year after we purchased it brand new we noticed water damage inside the cabin. We couldn’t find where it was leaking but to make a long story short it was a faulty valve under the a.c unit letting water in thru it so slowly that we didn’t notice it right away. We turned into our insurance and it was denied because it wasn’t an accident. So we did a claim with Forest River and they denied it because it was past warranty and they referred us to Dometic, the company who made the a.c unit and we found out we had one week left on that warranty. But they stated they weren’t responsible for cosmetic so they denied it. It’s sad you but a 100,000 fifth wheel and a year later you have severe water damage!!! It’s sad that a company doesn’t step up and do the right thing for their consumer but it’s all about the money not being loyal to your product. Very disappointed
- Sheila Dukes, Kentucky

2021-04-06 2021 Keystone Montana Legacy 3781RL View Listings

Just brought home our 2021 Montana 3781RL for the 2nd time, first time hydraulic pump quit, did a real close inspection of unit found mutable manufacturing issues , wires so tight they put tension on the connectors, battery cable so short you can’t secure the battery box “the screws are laying in the bottom of compartment”, rear outside wall pulling away from side walls, can’t turn off propane Acc. Coupling because of positioning of shout off valve, left rear slide-out not pulling in tight “has been adjusted”, hydraulic pump quit working 1st use “has been replaced”, All Be for I even got to use it, I paid over $80,000. For this trailer plus extended warranty and dealer cost $90,000. and expected a much better Quality Control for a ‘Top of the line trailer” Plus there is the Issue of $3,000. Dealer transportation charge for a 400mi 7hr trip = $750mi or $375hr.
- Louis Becht, New York

2021-04-05 2019 Dutchmen Voltage Triton 3531 View Listings

My experience has not been good. In the first couple of days the heater quit, and since the dealer where I bought the trailer was over 300 miles away I called Keystone and they said I could have my local RV repair shop fix it, they found oil in the gas pipe that did not get removed after the pipe threading process. When I sent the bill to Keystone they said they would not reimburse me because the pipe could not have oil in the pipe because the heater uses propane gas. After several phone calls Keystone finally reimbursed me the $122.00. The hot water board failed, and one of the fresh water tanks started to leak. Keystone said I could get warranty repair at any Keystone dealer, but I tried several dealers and they told me to take it back to where I bought it. I did finally did find someone 100 miles away to fix it, but it took a week until Keystone decided to send a new fresh water tank. the tank was installed, and the control board for the hot water tank. Thinking I was good to go I hauled my trailer home(100 miles) and parked my trailer. First thing in the morning I went out to unhook the truck from the trailer I found that the fresh water tank was leaking, so another 1oo miles back to the repair shop to drop the trailer off. The next day the repair shop called and said vent port was not welded in good and they offered to weld it which I agreed to so I could get my trailer done. The repair was completed, and back home. With 400 miles on my truck and trailer, and about 300 dollars in fuel we could go camping again. All good now right? Maybe not. When we would get in the shower and shut the water off at the shower head and soap up, and turn the valve back on the water was scalding hot. Given my experience of dealing with Keystone trying to get warranty I decided to fix it myself which I did by installing a check valve in the cold water line to the shower control valve. Now in Feb.21 the second fresh water tank developed a leak, so again I decide to fix it while we were on a trip. I took the leaking tank out and found the drain port had not been welded well to the tank, so I took it to a repair shop in Arizona where they said they could weld it. It took them 5 days to get to it, and when I picked it up I told them It did not look good. They said they checked it and it was good so I put it in and it leaked, I called to tell them and they said just bring it back and they weld it again but I said forget it. I am currently working with a dealer to buy a new fresh water tank from Keystone,(not on warranty since I tried to have it welded). Also I found stress cracks on the gusset plates on the frame which I repaired myself. And finally, after trying to get warranty (like pulling teeth), I decided to try to get a refund on the extended warranty I purchased for $3000 dollars, I am still working on that. So beware, when you buy a new trailer it may not be all that you hoped for. Hope you have better luck than I did, and if you can find a used trailer that someone else fixed all the problems, you might be better off.
- terry, California

2021-04-03 2021 Keystone Hideout 300RLDS View Listings

2021 Keystone 26BHWE....We bought this trailer brand new. It has been one thing after another. My breaking point with this trailer came after the jacks were less than half extended, broke! Manufacturer said it was our fault. Refuses to replace at their expense even if we do the work. We have lived in a trailer for almost 10 yrs. Saved to pay cash for a new one, with the winter pack and automatic jacks. I have several pics of the missing bolts, popped jack, jack motor falling out, etc. We usually move often and live in the middle of nowhere in NV. (Husband works at the gold mines). It is not easy to get the trailer to a dealer. We went back to the one where we bought it. They have tried to help us and KEYSTONE told them the same thing. There has got to be some recourse for crappy workmanship. I am embarrassed for them! Maybe an attorney or BBB. So Frustrated! We are not young anymore...want my old 2004 Terry Trailer back. It kicked butt over this new piece of junk!
- ShaMe' Belew, Nevada

2021-04-03 2018 Forest River Sandpiper 383RBLOK View Listings

Space is very well planned, high quality throughout, mechanics are excellent. Roomy and convenient. Counters are easy to maintain, faucet is handy. Storage is excellent throughout. Could use some handing space in 2nd bedroom.
- deana williams, Texas

2021-04-02 2020 Vanleigh RV Vilano 370GB View Listings

Wow!!! This so sweet, it's in excellent condition, practically brand new!!! Polished!!! It's like you can't tell the difference. This is a one-stop shop! This dude is even selling his 3500 too! Somebody is about to strike gold!
- Buddy Love, Florida

2021-04-01 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH View Listings

We've had a number of issues, not real sure if this is normal with RV's but it's been frustrating. We've had an awning motor go bad, shower door leak, front two jacks replaced, generator issues, the undercarriage totally coming down, regulator on LP replaced, refrigerator needing to be "reset", we added a rear camera which the monitor worked maybe a year and most recent our living room furniture literally is peeling away. The vinyl used was about as cheap as they could possibly have chosen. I've been told they've since changed to an upgraded fabric. From what I've been told RV's are made as cheap as possible and we should just accept it or not be RV-ers... We love the RV life and are not willing to give it up just yet.
- Suzy Roulston, Florida

2021-04-01 2018 Prime Time Sanibel 3751 View Listings

I own one. Been a great fifth wheel. All warranty work necessary completed and Prime Time repainted front cap paint 1 year out of warranty. Full living space when sliders are out, multiple closet and dresser space.
- Gary Grell, Florida

2021-03-31 2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Took deliver on June 18 2014. It was back in the shop two weeks later with self- leveling landing gear issues. I went to pick it up three weeks later and the landing gear worked great. Got to my seasonal site and the landing gear would not lower. Back to the shop it goes. All in all, the unit was in the shop a total of six weeks the first year all for landing gear. Next year I noticed a bulge in the sidewall below the bedroom slide. Fought with the dealership all summer long to get it looked at. I sent the unit back to the factory that fall for a broken weld in the frame. The third year there was a brake malfunction and ruined the brakes and backing plate on one of the axels. Warranty argument and then repaired. Mid-season the fourth year the landing gear would not self- level. Some of legs would not operate at all. Dealership wanted $300 deposit $60 trip charge and "maybe" warranty would cover it. ( I purchased the 5 year extended warranty.) I politely told them what they could do could do with their deposit and trip charge. I bought hydraulic jacks and concrete blocks and removed the legs myself. I took them to a RV repair only shop and he rebuilt them. While removing the jacks I noticed a drip from the middle of the unit right under the bathroom. I took the unit to the dealer. Turns out the tank shifted and the coupling from the sewer line to the black tank came loose. It was repaired under warranty. Three weeks later after returning from a one week trip I noticed it was leaking under the bathroom again. This time I took it to the repair only shop. The tank shifted again and the coupling came loose. The coupling was to short so the repair only shop put in a longer full rubber coupling. No problems with tank leak since. Last year I noticed the floor in the kitchen in front of the sink was soft. I took it in the repair only shop that fixed the landing gear and had him inspect the RV for water leaks. None found. Turns out Forest River changed the design and went with a 5/8 inch sub floor instead of the 3/4. They also did not add any additional bracing to help support the thinner sub floor. This is a known issue I found through the Forest River web site. Warranty is over so I don’t know what I am going to do to get this fixed. I will never buy another Forest River product. They are junk!
- Dennis Johnson, Minnesota

2021-03-30 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS View Listings

Bought a 2019 Jayco in January 1920 has a two year warranty had a number of issues leaving the lot still having issues with it a year later no help from Jayco a Bish a RVing an Kearney is worthless finally got some help from this RV out of Lincoln but I still have about $20,000 worth of warranty work to do on this unit everybody run from Jayco don’t buy their junk their junk anymore they don’t care what they put out just get them out the door and screw everybody hundred thousand dollars worth of junk anybody looking to buy an RV do not look at Jayco they don’t take care of their customers and they will just put you off and put you off i’ve owned many fifth wheels and never had this kind of problems with him this Jayco is one of the biggest pieces of junk I’ve ever seen shower drain wasn’t hooked up washer hook ups leaked from the factory rust got to be replaced front door don’t seal from the handle down back window seal broke on the thermal pane windows the big kitchen slide with the refrigerator and TV in it won’t pull in right the leveling system don’t work right back up camera quit working screws coming up through the bedroom floor bedroom floor feels weak front decals are cracking from the factory brand new furnace quit working after we use it about four timesI think there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against Jayco pinnacle Storage compartment door don’t open right screws coming out of the outside metal and I could go on and on and on it just seems every day there’s something new going wrongEverybody run from Jayco do not buy them
- Marty stover, Nebraska

2021-03-29 2016 Keystone Montana High Country 310RE View Listings

This model has been perfect for us! The upgrades we made allowed us to boondock a lot when traveling. The lithium batteries, solar and Victron converter were definitely worth the $$! We became pros at monitoring our battery usage and could easily stay off grid. We also loved the composting toilet! No dealing with black tanks or worrying when it was full. We loved being able to choose...do we want to be cramped into an RV parking lot, or do we want to park more remotely and be surrounded by nature! We stayed in our share of RV campgrounds, some great, some not so great, but we loved the option of not being forced to do so. The opposing slides give ample living space and the rear entertainment option adds so much more storage than rear living which is what we originally wanted. Also, at under 36 feet in length, we're able to get this rig into smaller and more compact parks. Another great feature is being able to access the bathroom, fridge and bed with all slides in. This was great when on the road - especially being able to use our own bathroom. Plus we'd pack lunches, pull over in a park and be able to retrieve our lunch. The only thing we would change, is the bathroom door is close to the stairs but we got used to it. There's only so much space in a rig under 36' long. Overall, if given the option, we'd make the same purchase again. We have been very happy with this rig! Re: factory warranty
- Teri, Florida

2021-03-29 2020 Keystone Cougar 315RLS View Listings

I am having issues with Keystone RV following through on warranty issues. They keep dragging their feet on addressing issues. I have contacted their customer support and they take their time on responding, then drag out any assistance.
- David Boggs, Virginia

2021-03-29 2020 Forest River Sandpiper 379FLOK View Listings

I am BEYOND appalled and extremely DISGUSTED that forest river would sell and yet again allow these piles of CRAP to be put on the road!! My daughter is a nurse / respiratory therapist. My son in law was doing very well in his profession. With the Covid outbreak my daughter was recruited by several hospitals across the nation to help circumvent the pandemic. They decided that he would put his career on hold temporarily so that she could do everything possible to help in this crisis. So they sold their house and bought this lovely RV to travel from state to state. The lovely Sandpiper forest river 5th wheel ended up being a very POLLUTED Nightmare !!! Let me explain... right now they are stranded in Apache Junction AZ. because after my son in law was flushing the black water tank in preparation to leave, the whole tank FELL off! Taking wires and everything else with it!! Now can you imagine what would have happened if they had been on a highway and this would or should I say it would’ve come off?!? People could’ve or would’ve died! SO my daughter cannot get to her next assignment and people could indirectly die because of this!!! They have had NOTHING but problems with this piece of s—t since they bought it. From leaky plumbing, cheap craftsmanship which results in breakdowns and I could go on and on! Plus you can absolutely COUNT ON the least amount of assistance and customer service possible!!!You HAVE been warned!!!! Buy one of these after reading this and it’s on YOU!!! And may God bless! Good luck! Also if you are driving down the highway and encounter an RV that has Sandpiper on it, GET AWAY from it ASAP!! These things should be banned from the road and actually should be condemned from human occupancy! Again you’ve been warned!! Another thing, if you value your life, buy tires GOOD tires ASAP! Even if it’s brand new because the the cheap ones don’t last. After only 4000 miles one blew out and damaged the side of that piece of ... well you know what. It should be illegal for them to be on the road! Oh plus I hear that there’s a recall on them. What does THAT tell you?!?! Should I say more? I should hope not!
- TJ Rennie, Missouri

2021-03-28 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES View Listings

Unit is well built and well thought out ! We lived in ours traveling for over a year and could it exceeded all our expectations. We really like the three distinct spaces. The is no lack of storage . It's big but tows great!
- Chuck Snead, North Carolina

2021-03-28 2018 Grand Design Solitude 384GK View Listings

This RV has no issues, we had a wonderful experience since we used it once for 2 months, drive it to Florida nd back,since then it's bin sitting in storage due to Covid,we decided to sell it Not planning to go to Florida anytime soon! Staying in Durham!!
- Joe vernoy, Ontario

2021-03-28 2019 Jayco North Point 385THWS View Listings

very dissatisfied with this very expensive rv trailer. suspension is too light for the weight of the trailer. also should have shock absorbers installed from the factory. insulation is non existent in bottom of front compartment, under front hitch area, rear garage area and throughout inside ceiling from front to back. Jayco has built this unit to appear to be well built and very nice, but when you remove access panels and see how its really put together you get the real picture. lots of access points for mice to enter under trailer. if I hadn't spent 2 full days plugging holes in the frame rails and wherever connections or pipes come through the bottom of the unit it would be infested with rodents in no time. my advice is don't buy Jayco and if you choose to ignore that advice, at least save yourself some grief and don't buy from grimsby Ontario.
- Jeff wieder, Ontario

2021-03-26 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 381RD View Listings

We bought this RV in July 2020, it is our second 5th wheel. We had actually researched and looked at several 5th wheels years before buying (we wanted to know exactly what we wanted before actually ready to buy.) We had settled on a Coachmen Chaparral front living. Our previous 5th wheel was a front living lay out and er loved it. We started having some issues with our first 5th wheel and decided we better get a new one before something catastrophic happened. So we went from planning to take our time to look around for the best deal, to needing to make a purchase quickly. We are full-time RVers so the 5th wheel is our home. Since we were looking during the pandemic, there was not much available on the lots. No Chaparral front livings within 500 miles of us (we were in Nebraska at the time). Found the 381RD in Iowa. The one we looked at was a 2020 and after some discussion the salesperson said she had a new 2019 model at there MN location that was new, exactly same furniture and layout as 2020 or were looking at and $2700 cheaper. I liked saving the money and also felt that maybe a camper not built during the pandemic would be better workmanship. So we bought and have loved it so far! We have been from Iowa to Arizona with it with several stops in between. Two minor issues, the sprayer did not work on kitchen faucet. Called factory and they sent a whole new faucet. Also small leak somewhere on fresh water tank that I have scheduled to go into dealership in July before warranty runs out, so we will see how that goes. We love the room that this unit provides, and although we really like front living layout, we have come to enjoy the rear living concept. So no regrets so far!
- Phil Pelc, South Dakota

2021-03-26 2015 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

For a large beauty, this rig pulls like a dream. Large enough for living in long term and makes every camping trip comfortable and enjoyable. Tons of storage inside and underneath. Large kitchen in this plan along with spacious salon makes this the popular place for everyone to be when camping with friends. We’ve taken this rig to national parks, extended cruises across the country, hunting in eastern Montana, fishing in the eastern Sierra Mountains and getting our share of sunshine on California beaches and never had anything less than excellent adventures.
- Ed and Mary Ann Puett, Montana

2021-03-25 2020 Redwood RV Redwood 2020RL View Listings

Can't get things fix from la mesa rv. Many things wrong under warranty but hey put off. Quality is crap and sales person was not honest. When you spend 100,000 dollars for a camper you expect way better quality and service. Way to many things wrong to list. Very unhappy.
- William, Arizona

2021-03-25 2020 Jayco North Point 315RLTS View Listings

I bought a new Jayco Fifth Wheel off the dealer lot. Before its first camping trip I noticed that not all the ceiling lights worked. After a long wait on a technician, I found that the wiring above the ceiling was bad, and had to be replaced. Then, when I tested the drinking water, the faucet had an internal leak, so I had to order a new one. Then, the white water line going to the faucet had a leak behind the trash basket. It turned out that the nut holding the water line to the on/off valve hadn't even been finger tightened. Next, the dining room seat bottoms fell out with little to nothing stored there. On inspection, the seat bottoms had been stapled, but the staples didn't go into the seat bottoms. Sure, an assembly line worker might be lazy, but the quality control guy should have found these problems. What are the odds that both the assembly line worker and the quality control people are all lazy? Quite simply, Jayco wants to get their trailers out the door, and let the customer deal with problems that should have been rectified in the factory. Apparently, I need to take a repair technician with me when I go camping.
- Larry Tate, Oklahoma

2021-03-25 2017 Keystone Montana 3160RL View Listings

Great RV for any family. Easy towing, perfect size for camp spots , mechanically sound, with it being four seasons stays cool in summer and warm in the winter without running your units to death. Would recommend to family and friends.
- TA, Georgia

2021-03-24 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS View Listings

We researched and looked at a lot of RVs before purchasing this one. We downsized from a motor home to this RV. My boyfriend is very tall and it's roomy enough for him to not have to duck everywhere (even the shower!) Lots of storage space, full size fridge, and I think the sofa bed is even more comfortable than the master suite bed. We've used this for camping, living in while going to trap shoots around the country, and I lived/worked in it for 10 weeks down South to be nearby when my daughter had a baby. Easy hookups, easy to tow, set up and ready for transport. Really appreciate the auto leveler, too. The only thing we had to replace was the kitchen faucet in the island - it was a bit flimsy and broke early on. Other than that, no issues at all. We love it!
- Janice K, Pennsylvania

2021-03-23 2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

My wife and I fell in love with this RV when we bought it. The quality and layout far exceeded others we looked at. We still love it, but just don't have time to use it. It looks great and is spacious. It tows great and has many high end features. We still like it better than most new ones we have seen.
- JOHN G. BUTLER,JR., Alabama

2021-03-23 2016 Keystone Cougar 330RBK View Listings

We love this RV it has been great no problems to name love the bunkhouse and layout of living space and bedroom I pull it with Ram 2500 heavy duty with no problems like it's not even there we would definitely buy another Keystone
- Donnie Nation, Georgia