On October 26, 2013, we purchased our Jayco 361REQS. We are retired and purchased this unit to travel the country volunteering with Habitat for Humanity.Our reason for choosing a Jayco product was that prior to this one we owned two Jayco travel trailers and had no issues with either one. We felt that Jayco products were comfortable and reliable. We feel we were correct on the comfortableness, but not necessarily on the reliability.
We have had numerous problems with this unit from the very beginning.
1. The first time we tried to get the trailer off our tow vehicle, the front left landing gear wouldn’t retract. The landing gear motor was found to be bad and had to be replaced.
2. We had to spend two extra days in Albany, Georgia when the kitchen slide failed to retract. With assistance from a mobile RV repair company we were able to get the slide retracted. Our repair shop found that one of the slide motors had become disconnected which caused the slide to become inoperable. Fortunately, the trailer was still under warranty.
3. On another trip, two blades from the ceiling fan in the living room broke off and it took two months of waiting for parts to have this replaced. This also happened while under warranty.
4. Every cabinet door’s screws have come loose and had to be repaired.
5. We had body damage due to a tire blow-out because the factory-installed tires were only rated for the empty weight of the trailer. It took three months and three different shipments to get the correct and undamaged parts to the repair shop. After the third shipment, we were able to get undamaged body panels, but they were the wrong color.
6. The front cap became faded due to a factory defect and it had to be completely stripped and repainted. This took over a month to be completed.
We have suffered many other issues with this unit since owning it. However, our biggest concern is the slowness in getting needed parts to the repair shop. The following is an example:
On September 24, 2019, we took our trailer to a reputable repair shop to have the bedroom ceiling replaced due to puckering from moisture. We chose this firm because many of the repair people including the service manager were former employees the dealer we purchased the trailer from.
(this firm sold out to another firm) and these employees are familiar with our trailer. Upon inspection, they realized that our roof wasn’t a typical RV roof and was laminated. They found that there was a defect in the rubber membrane causing the interior damage. Our insurance company was contacted, and consent was given to the repair shop to order a new roof on October 22, 2019. The roof didn't arrive to the shop until December 10, 2019. During the repair process, the shop noticed the interior cove trim was damaged during ceiling removal. New trim was ordered on January 14, 2020. We just received word that the trim is to be shipped today, February 18, 2020 and should arrive this time next week. We were first told that the trim was to have been shipped the end of the prior week.