My Airstream Atlas Nightmare
I received my Atlas on August 29, 2020 and that's the date my nightmare began.
A list of the issues with my brand new Atlas after first taking delivery are below:
1. Cummins Onan RV QD 3200 generator not working at all.
2. Battery charging system it's not charging the battery properly.
3. The Magnum MMS1012 is not properly set-up for the lithium battery and does not meet the specifications to charge Battle Born 100Amp lithium batteries)
4. When the house battery becomes depleted, everything inside is shut down and nothing works. The manual suggests turning on the chassis engine for a few minutes to charge it. This function did not work. Meaning you can be stuck with no power and nothing electronic working in RV even when you connect to external power!
5. Victron Energy MPPT Control locked up and not working.
6. Sliding door not properly installed and broken.
7. Folding Stairs sometimes do not work properly.
8. Cannot connect to the solar charging system APP
9. Shelving in the storage compartment is incorrect size and falling down to the second compartment.
10. Pantry storage compartment not proper lock, opening on every turn.
11. Several door hinges broken.
12. Skylight occasionally not closing properly.
13. Manual describes a completely different inverter charger controller.
A list of additional issues I found during first trip are below:
14. Power Stabilizer Jacks completely locked out and not functioning.
15. Skylight broken cannot even open.
16. The site storage compartment door is broken and cannot open.
17. Echomaster mirror monitors with sight cameras and parking sensors are very old technology, with low resolution, very low brightness, and are extremely slow. It takes two to three seconds from turning the signal to seeing the image in the mirror, which is an incredibly long time while driving.
Driving in the daylight when the sun is out, you can barely see the image and when you put on sunglasses it is virtually impossible to see.
When you put bicycle carrier racks hitch mount, you get attention blinking on a screen all the time, which is very distracting and and no way to clear or disable this warning.
18. The wires inside the control cabinet are loose and make a lot of noise while driving, creating an additional distraction.
I am incredibly frustrated and disappointed with the profound lack of service and quality from Airstream, its Los Angeles Dealership, and in the Atlas itself. This vehicle has a lot of gadgets and gizmos, but the core systems are faulty and unreliable. In an RV, the single most important consideration should be protecting from the complete discharge of a battery because it can leave people stranded without heat or power in remote areas and in potentially dangerous weather conditions. This was not considered and so it is very easy for the battery to drain, leaving all those gadgets non-functional.
The generator, solar system for charging the battery, and the controller for charging the battery do not work as they should and these are all very important systems that should be reliable and even have redundancy. This is in addition to the many quality, design, assembly, and service issues I have done my best to describe above that affect virtually every system in this Atlas to some extent. This vehicle is only suitable for driving and I already have a car for that. It is not suitable for, not can it be depended on, to work as an RV.