Coachmen Reviews on RV Insider (452)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Cathleen Savage from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

The 2012 Freelander 21QB, actually 24' in length, is a great value for the money. It is a great option for two adults and up to two children. Although it technically sleeps six, that would be a bit crowded. In addition to the rear Queen bed, the dinette converts to a Full size bed (48" x 76"). The overcab bunk has a weight limit of 350 lbs. PROs: 1) The rear bed is 60" x 80", very spacious for an RV and so much more liveable than the "Short Queen" (60" x 76") that is so common in other models. An added bonus is that standard Queen-size sheets fit perfectly! 2) the fresh water holding tank is 50 gallons, lots bigger than most Class Cs and even some Class As. This means we stay out in remote areas longer without breaking camp. 3) The exterior "basement" storage is huge! Over 100 square feet! We can fit everything we need for a month-long trip in with no problem. Have not seen this much storage in other models. 4) It is very easy to drive and has a good turning radius. 5) The dinette is designed in a circular "lounge" style, which is great for watching TV and relaxing. See related Cons below. CONs: 1) The factory installed vents are cheap and flimsy. We immediately replaced ours with Fantastic Vents. 2) The window in the coach side entrance door (not the cab) is made of frosted glass, reducing driver visibility. We had ours replaced with clear safety glass and we added a shade for privacy when needed. 3) The table for the dinette is too big for the space. We took it out and just store it for when we might need to use it to convert the dinete into a bed. We use a large tv tray table for indoor dinners and we made our own insert to make the sofa more comfortable. 4) The wardrobe for hanging clothes has two rods that run from the exterior wall to the wardrobe door instead of a single rod running across the top of the wardrobe. A simple modification to make. I notice that Coachmen made this change to later models too. 5) Curved shower door on a track is irritating but functional. Coachmen changed this to a regular swinging door set on the diagonal in later models. Summary: with a few simple modifications, the 2012 Freelander 21QB is a great combination of compact size and desireable features! I would buy it again.
- Cathleen Savage, Colorado

2020-06-28 2020 Coachmen Beyond 22C View Listings

This 2020 Coachmen Beyond is the single biggest $100,000 mistake of my life! Nothing has worked right from day#1 Air conditioning doesn’t work. WiFi ranger doesn’t work. Window shades are garbage. The Mira system doesn’t work. Tank levels don’t work. Propane levels doesn’t work. The generator doesn’t charge the batteries. The coach completely goes into store mode all by itself. I’ve had it in 4 times since March 2020 to have all these issues looked at. Nothing fixed yet!!!!! Almost killed my 2 dogs on 3 different occasions after the generator didn’t kick on for the air conditioning. Thank God we weren’t gone long. In short stay away from Coachmen products!!!!! I will be calling a lawyer to have everything corrected!!!
- Kevin Fox, Pennsylvania

2020-06-24 2019 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 293RLDS View Listings

Absolute trash. Extremely poor craftsmanship. Wood and metal shavings still present. The wood trim looks like it was cut with steak knife. No trim at all in some places. The electronics are very cheap and were not even connected right. The DVD just turns off on it's own in the middle of a movie. The two AC's are LOUD and leak inside the coach. The "outdoor" kitchen is an insult. Refer doesn't get cold enough and your kitchen is a coleman gas stove. The starbright feature is no more the a strip of blue LED's. They don't even light up because the awning and slide blocks the light. The seams have gaps to the outside. There are screws sticking out which stab and rip your skin if your not careful. The water heater placement was assenine. The decision to use full electric refer was a financial one. Gas/ electric are always better. Not to mention you can't even open it up all the way because of "fantastic" floor plan kitchen island won't allow the refer to open all the way.No lights outside or in the tiny storage. Get your own. No flood lights on either side. Use a torch. The electrical sockets are not even screwed in right. When you plug something in, you just pushed the socket into the wall. Interior lighting blows chunks. The drawers are complete shit. They cut many corners, used sub par materials and just slapped it together and made an expensive shit sandwich. And to add insult to injury, the customer service makes you wanna hurt somebody. I wholeheartedly regret buying this american made garbage. Coachman should fuckin be ashamed for screwing the people like this. I would post the emails I received right from the manufacturer or blast the phone conversations, but I would get in trouble for telling the whole fuckin truth!!!! I hate you, Coachman. You make shit products and then peddle it to public and refuse to acknowledge the shit work you do. I hope you go bankrupt and all the people I spoke with that only blew smoke up my ass , end up in the unemployment line!!! Fuck you!
- Genel, Florida

2020-06-24 2019 Coachmen Viking 21FQ View Listings

We purchased this RV in November 2019. Here it is June 2020 and we have not had the opportunity to travel. The purchase experience was great. But, here come the repairs...yes repairs to a brand new RV. The awning had pin hole in it, the couch has wholes and bleached spots on it, the radio quit playing, the vent hood never came with the screen, and the bathroom light switch is coming away from the wall. The awning was replaced. The replacement also has pin holes in it. This was reported immediately after we got the RV back from the first replacement. Now they are saying that this was owner inflicted. Really owner inflicted? We haven't even gotten to use it. They have ordered the couch to be replaced. We took the RV in to have that done at the beginning of June 2020. As of June 24, 2020 the couch has still not been installed. The radio has not been fixed. The awning has been denied for repair. We spoke to the general manager, Ken @ the Katy Ron Hoover about trading this RV in on a motorhome. We picked one out and he was supposed to call us that same day with some numbers. He have not heard from him yet. I will not do business with this company nor will I buy another Viking RV.
- Donna, Texas

2020-06-23 2016 Coachmen Apex Ultra Lite 212RB View Listings

I love going camping, Vacations and meeting new people in my mini home. I like that I cleaned it myself and am not in a bed that so many others have slept in. I also like that I can take my fur babies with me. Life is an adventure when you have an RV.
- Debbie , Kentucky

2020-06-23 2016 Coachmen Cross Country 404RB View Listings

Excellent RV. Well designed. Very comfortable to live in and drive. Has higher end amenities that are normally seen in much higher priced coaches. Motor has ample power. Full exterior paint is in excellent condition. Interior has tile flooring. Entertainment system is excellent. Jenson radio with GPS mapping, CD, Backup and side view camera viewer, Bluetooth capable, Sirius XM capable. Has full size residential refrigerator with built in water and ice dispenser.
- Robert Wingate, Virginia

2020-06-22 2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 273BHSCK View Listings

We purchased this RV new in August 2019. We love the layout with a center kitchen, awesome kitchen faucet, private master bedroom and plenty of storage space (especially the pantry/linen closet). Here’s what we don’t like...the rear side window above the couch leaks (found out the factory didn’t to pull the drain plugs out), some of the trip is wrinkled and just looks terrible and here’s the big one...the A/C quit working. Fortunately my husband is electrical knowledge and was able to repair it. We could hear the relays when switching the unit on but nothing would start. Come to find out that the main power cord and the wire to the relay switch we’re barely connected with the butt connector and then just wrapped with electrical tape. This was a fire waiting for s place to happen. The interior finishes are beautiful, but honestly it’s like putting lipstick on a pig.
- Teryn Bollinger , Pennsylvania

2020-06-21 2017 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

We purchased this rv because the second bedroom was perfect for when our two older daughters join us. They have their own room to sleep and store all their belongings. The living area is set up like a lot of other campers with the theater chairs and hab sofa. It's very comfortable to relax in. The residential refrigerator in the kitchen is nice to have though we have never filled it completely. The larger bathroom and shower makes using it with no problems. The king size bed in the bedroom is our first and we'll never go back to any thing small. There is ample storage space for all our things plus some. Outside storage is good as well, but the outdoor kitchen is not very functional. It has a sink and fridge but it's not easy to access. There is a spot to hang a tv but you'll have to manually load and unload on each trip. The 16ft awning provides plenty of shaded area and being electric with lights is a plus. Towing has not been too difficult. The challenge is the length of the camper at almost 42ft it can be a challenge getting in and out of sites, gas stations,and making sharp turns. You have to be aware of the 6pt. leveling jacks that can be damaged going over dips,rises and railroad tracks. We've enjoyed the rv but when we retire and can travel more we will probably downsize. I can see some challenges trying to pull this size rv on long trips
- Gary Hanna, South Carolina

2020-06-21 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 192RBS View Listings

We love our camper. My only complaint would be the ac is a single unit in the center of the ceiling and its loud. It makes it hard to sleep sometimes because the system is so loud. Other than that this is the perfect trailer.
- Tammy, South Carolina

2020-06-18 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS View Listings

Great layout with plentiful storage. Upon delivery I made some modifications. I added vent covers to protect from hail damage and I cut down the RV King bed to a standard queen, in order to make more room for making the bed. I brought the unit home from the dealer and made the above modifications, then I put the unit in storage; about 40 minutes, each way, from home. When I brought the unit out of storage last week to make our first trip I noted that the clothes rod, hanger strip, in the hall closet had fallen, with nothing on it. I rehung the rod using larger, shorter, screws and put a screw in every hole. Upon arrival noted the clothes rod, hanger strip, had come down on one side, bent, and was being held up by the one screw the was in a cross strut. Built frame out of oak 1 x 2 after returning home and reattached clothes rod, hanger strip. Shortly after arriving noticed that there was something hanging under unit with some wire. Inspection revealed that an access had been cut into the bottom cover and then taped up and the tape did not adhere. I retaped with duct tape, but it did not hold. I retaped with carpet tape today, not sure if it will hold?????? When using the DVD player there were lines on the TV and I could not get the sound to come through the TV speakers. Removed DVD player and moved L and R speaker wires from input to output. Upon leaving the camp site it was noted that the USB charging outlet under the TV was not working. Ordered replacement on Amazon. When my wife opened the freezer, at the camp site, the beauty panel fell out. I reinstalled the panel, but it fell out again when we were unloading the unit after we returned home. This time I put carpet tape on the top and bottom of the panel prior to reinstalling. We'll see. While taping the access panel under the unit I noticed that the holes where the lines and pipes came out from under the rig were not completely sealed. I used some high density foam to thoroughly seal the openings. Noticed that some of the exterior trim screws are coming out and I will replace those with aluminum pop rivets. I'm a little annoyed but overall happy with the unit. We really like the layout.
- Richard Rotte, Colorado

2020-06-17 2021 Coachmen Catalina Expedition 192RB View Listings

Does the power have to be on your camper for the solar panel to charge the battery, and is it okay to leave the refrigerator running when you’re not camping?
- Isaac , West Virginia

2020-06-15 2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH View Listings

We have had this RV for 3 years and have taken it from NY to CA. and have had a GREAT TIME! The coach performs as it has promised. This RV is priced right for what we wanted and for how we use it. Floor plan could not be better for our family and how we RV. Ford V10 has been great but is a little short of power for this BIG of a coach and towing. Have not had any major issues! Amen..!! We had the rear slide motor go out but was covered and replaced. Just like everything you own/buy there is wear and tear items to keep up with. We look forward in keeping this coach for a few more years until we decid to upgrade.
- James Hughes, Texas

2020-06-12 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 208BHS View Listings

We love this RV! It’s our first and we have had not one problem. The floor plan is great for 2 of us, but when the kids come along they love the bunks. When they don’t we have them for extra storage space. It’s so easy to tow and we always have plenty of space at RV sites. Love the windows and the awning too!
- Ronda Tewell, Texas

2020-06-11 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260RS View Listings

Very good RV. Not an excellent RV. It has a manufacturing defect where the water heater intake couplings are located. The connections are so close to the floor that they break regularly flooding the floor. A dealer told me it is a common occurrence. The part is less than $2.00. It is a pain to replace. The onboard toilet is fine for children and petite women. There is no leg room for tall people. Get used to leaving the door open or use campground facilities.
- Leland Lesher, Florida

2020-06-08 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

We bought this rv for the floor plan, removable table etc. I have to agree with the reviews I have read. Poor quality everywhere. Before we had even used it, the door fell,off, the frame around the bed fell down exposing screws, the microwave worked for 3 minutes, the heater started to run with no way to turn it off (an 800 dollar repair) and While the paperwork said the furnace was covered for 2 years the dealership told us this isn’t actually the case. Honestly we don’t feel safe in it. One of the footings fell off. I could go on. Someone need to be accountable for the poor quality of the product.
- Deb Fernandes, Alberta

2020-06-04 2017 Coachmen Apex Ultra-Lite 289TBSS View Listings

We purchased our Apex 289TBSS in 2017 after attending 6 RV shows and working with four local dealers. Our primary objectives in deciding on a floor plan were 1) light weight for towing, 2) key functionality requirements, 3) exterior amenities, 4) interior comfort and 5) ample storage. Having experience towing heavy items and large, boxy items we knew that towing a heavy, large, and boxy item would not be ideal regardless of the towing capacity of our personal truck (an F-150 with rated towing capacity of 10,500). Many people think that just because the truck is "rated" to tow something, it safely can. This unit was just the fit. At 32', it only weighed 5900 lbs dry so towing was a breeze with our Andersen weight distribution and sway control hitch system. (We have ridden with friends towing 9000 lb, 35'campers and you often "pucker up" as a tractor-trailer or strong breeze comes along) We have two girls, so we knew we needed to provide them with some privacy, especially when they had friends camping with us. The rear bunk room with pocket door was just the trick. We also like the "L" shaped bunks which provided a nice jack-knife sofa below so all the kids could sit and watch movies in their space in the event of a rain storm. The only way to do this with a quad, opposing-wall bunk room was with a slide which added too much weight. The master offers pocket door access to each side of the bed which is great for my wife and I as we don't have to turn-sideways and squeeze around 8" of space at the end of the bed to get to the other side as was with many other models with only one entrance to the master bedroom. The outside has a huge awning with blue LED lights that doesn't attract bugs (all outdoor lights are blue). Also, the exterior kitchen was a requirement because, as we predicted, we do most of our cooking (and living) outside. The outdoor fridge is very handy as well! The counter space in the outdoor kitchen is used to store many things, but mostly our outdoor roll-up foot rugs and cleaning supplies. We also enjoy the outdoor cable hookup as we love to watch college football camping in the Fall! One very nice feature that many people (including us) overlooked was the rack-and-pinion slide. This is a very nice upgrade over a cable-slide and doesn't require the annual adjustment that most cable-slides require. The interior is really where this unit shines for us. You have to remember, we held ourselves to a strict standard of 6000 lbs dry weight with a bunkroom so finding a great deal of interior comfort features was going to be difficult. But, this unit has exceeded our expectations. Although counter space is limited, the sink cover comes in handy to provide a few extra ft2 of working space. The 15k BTU AC unit works brilliantly as does the unit's furnace. We have never been hot nor cold in the summer nor winter and we camp in the extremes (un-shaded places at the beach in the summer, and shady places in the mountains in the winter). The fridge is plenty large for a week's trip and the microwave and cooktop/oven have both come in handy on many occasions. The bathroom is tight, but tidy and I have no problem showering or "sitting" (I am 6'4" so this was an issue in most units). The upgraded tri-fold sofa is very comfortable and the dinette was thankfully slightly larger than most in these size units. Storage abounds in this unit for it's size and weight. We have never run out of space and we carry around 1400 lbs of "stuff" based upon our scale check. The pass through storage is huge and we are able to keep all of our outdoor items and more in there. Overall, we could not be happier with our decision to purchase the Apex 289TBSS. Looking back, we definitely made the right decision in the unit we purchased. Our kids love the camper and would go every weekend if we would let them!
- Jason Wimberly, South Carolina

2020-06-04 2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS View Listings

We had bought this Camper about 4 years ago used and ABSOLUTELY love it... the only problem we have had with it since we bought it was the Jensen CD/DVD player.. so we bought a diffrent one and installed. But overall; it is a BEAUTIFUL camper and set up!!! Highly recommended... Love it!!!
- Sheila J, Pennsylvania

2020-06-03 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 240FS Ford 450 View Listings

This is an excellent Coachmen!! We love everything about it, it has all the upgrades. Drives good, tows great, love it!! Love the walk in closet and love the layout. Love the automatic leveling jacks!!
- Tammy Kirby, Tennessee

2020-06-02 2020 Coachmen Mirada 35OS View Listings

Bought it at Carolina RV with many little items to fix, which the dealership took care of-GREAT FOLKS in Myrtle Beach. Had leak in drain hose after leaving there and had to deal with factory rep, Tim. I had week in Indiana to get it replaced but told dealers too busy for 30 minutes of work! Gave me a sup contractor who has yet to call me back. Scheduled with a private repair place and will pay out of pocket for RV only 6 months old!!! Never had any problems with a class C Jayco for 2years prior
- Phil Hedrick, Kentucky

2020-06-02 2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 297RLDS View Listings

Love the look of RV and floor plan but quality is lacking. Already had to fix sliding door track, carbon monoxide detector, shower floor and now the roof is messed up in less than a year. We don’t not live in it. Maybe have used it 8 times for long weekends. The factory or dealer will not cover roof repair. You can see the wood coming through the roof material. No tears or rips. it was kept under a cover while not in use. I will never buy from Coachman again. Terrible service after the sale. For 50k price tag, it should be better! Basically, only a little better than junk. This is the 4th and worst one we have owned! Lesson learned!
- Fran Cole, North Carolina

2020-05-28 2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 273BHSCK View Listings

We love the outside design of the trailer. The back double bunks are spacious. However the outside doors are a nightmare. They don’t open well and are apparently “self locking”. We have had the trailer for 3 weeks and the cupboard door is stripped, the USB port never worked. The A/C quit and we are waiting for an appointment at the dealer. The construction debris that was left inside the cupboards when it was built is ridiculous. Love the layout not impressed with the quality.
- Ami zappone, British Columbia

2020-05-26 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition View Listings

I love my 2020 Freedom Express Liberty Edition! Everywhere I go I get compliments on how nice my rig is. The large windshield window at the front bedroom allows for a lot of light in the bedroom and awesome views outside. With two large slide outs adjacent to each other in the main living area it really opens up the space and it doesn't feel tight at all! An abundance of windows brings in a lot of light so this travel trailer is not dark at all. I like having the center island with the sink and spray faucet. The coffee bar is nice. Oh....The Freedom Express Liberty Edition has so much storage!!! I still have cabinets with nothing, or very little in them! There is a large pantry in the kitchen area. The AC units blow very cold. The LED accent light package inside the RV is a nice feature, especially if you are entertaining family/friends. With the Liberty edition, I have a nice sized porcelain toilet that is great. I am completely and 100% satisfied with my purchase and would buy the same RV again. I've owned my RV for 4 months now and living in it full time and I'm still finding things I didn't know about that are so cool. I LOVE this thing!!! Now, has everything worked 100%? No, but I have already reached out to Coachmen Warranty Service and they have provided me authorized shops in my area to take my RV to for warranty work. First, my furnace stopped heating. From what I understand the system attempts to light 3 times and if it doesn't light after the third attempt the system turns the fan off and will not retry. I've got to get that warranty item resolved. Also, my Drivers' side rear stabilizer jack stopped working electronically so I have to manually crank it. Honestly, its probably just a blown fuse but I haven't checked it yet. Last thing that I found on my new Freedom Express when I opened the outdoor shower compartment the shower head was actually cracked where it connects to the hose. When I did my walkthrough at the dealership I bought from we didn't even open that compartment so I didn't discover that until a few weeks later. Take note to check EVERYTHING! Last advise I would give to someone considering this RV and any RV for that matter....Where you buy from matters! Make sure you chose a dealer that does a very thorough walkthrough and pre-delivery inspection with you. Make sure you check that everything works before you leave the lot. Happy Camping!
- CJ , Tennessee

2020-05-26 2017 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB View Listings

I found one more expensive in new Braunfels tx but, this one is in better conditions. It's missing variety of blinds, carpet and appears tio have haff water damage. I also noticed damaged seals on the slides and water marks on the walls and mouldings. I wad approved today and I am giving 3k down but just need to take mine in for trade in, so the deal is not closed yet!!!
- Salvador lopez jr, Texas

2020-05-25 2016 Coachmen Prism LE 2200 View Listings

This is a solid RV and can manage some vertical in the mountains. It is easy to navigate on highways or back roads. Great for disbursement camping in National forests. Lots of storage underneath. Great hitch for kayak or bike racks on the back.
- Carolyn Berson, Colorado

2020-05-24 2006 Coachmen Epic 3180DS View Listings

Great RV. Totally reliable. It has an extended warranty. 2 years remaining on warranty. This vehicle has been out west up north down south, everywhere. A pleasure to travel in. A great way to see our beautiful country and take your pets with you.
- Deekay, Mississippi