Coachmen

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Cathleen Savage from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

The 2012 Freelander 21QB, actually 24' in length, is a great value for the money. It is a great option for two adults and up to two children. Although it technically sleeps six, that would be a bit crowded. In addition to the rear Queen bed, the dinette converts to a Full size bed (48" x 76"). The overcab bunk has a weight limit of 350 lbs. PROs: 1) The rear bed is 60" x 80", very spacious for an RV and so much more liveable than the "Short Queen" (60" x 76") that is so common in other models. An added bonus is that standard Queen-size sheets fit perfectly! 2) the fresh water holding tank is 50 gallons, lots bigger than most Class Cs and even some Class As. This means we stay out in remote areas longer without breaking camp. 3) The exterior "basement" storage is huge! Over 100 square feet! We can fit everything we need for a month-long trip in with no problem. Have not seen this much storage in other models. 4) It is very easy to drive and has a good turning radius. 5) The dinette is designed in a circular "lounge" style, which is great for watching TV and relaxing. See related Cons below. CONs: 1) The factory installed vents are cheap and flimsy. We immediately replaced ours with Fantastic Vents. 2) The window in the coach side entrance door (not the cab) is made of frosted glass, reducing driver visibility. We had ours replaced with clear safety glass and we added a shade for privacy when needed. 3) The table for the dinette is too big for the space. We took it out and just store it for when we might need to use it to convert the dinete into a bed. We use a large tv tray table for indoor dinners and we made our own insert to make the sofa more comfortable. 4) The wardrobe for hanging clothes has two rods that run from the exterior wall to the wardrobe door instead of a single rod running across the top of the wardrobe. A simple modification to make. I notice that Coachmen made this change to later models too. 5) Curved shower door on a track is irritating but functional. Coachmen changed this to a regular swinging door set on the diagonal in later models. Summary: with a few simple modifications, the 2012 Freelander 21QB is a great combination of compact size and desireable features! I would buy it again.
- Cathleen Savage, Colorado

2021-09-20 2021 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 283RKS View Listings

Great rv. Love the floor plan. Great for couples. Not so much with smaller kids. Love the led lighting on the awning. The shower is very spacious for an rv. Would recommend this rv. Great quality and tows with ease
- john albanese, Texas

2021-09-18 2020 Coachmen Catalina Expedition 192RB View Listings

All in all, I like my camper... That being said.. The first time I saw an Cata Expedition was in a sea of rvs at lot off the interstate. It caught my attention enough that I turned around, went to the dealer, and bought the trailer. At first I thought the price was high, but after reviewing all the factory installed options, turned out it was just a couple thousand more than a competitor model that came with no options or versatle capabilities. The layout is great, and makes great use of a smaller space. The bathroom is more than you would expect in a small model. But, where the shower's large size awes you, the toilet takes back due to limited leg room. Cool feature you wouldnt expect is an outdoor shower. It also comes with a fancy wifi antenna on top. Im not real sure about this guy yet, as it didnt seem to boose my reception anymore than my routers factory antenna set. And, I had to slightly disassemble the cabinetry to access the coax to even try it. The appliances all work great, even when using 2 or 3 at a time with the ac. The counter space is limited though, and can barely accommodate a coffee maker. It is also pretty cool that you have bedding options. Either drop the queen size murphy bed, or if your feeling lazy, lay down the sofa instead. Electric jack with little porch light is a nice touch. Electric/gas fridge and hot water also a nice touch. Comes with 2 gas cylinders and a cheap car battery. Big selling point for me is the preinstalled solar system. The panel it comes with is more or less just capable of keeping the battery maintained, but the charge controller, inverter, and trailer being wired totally make up for the panel. Its easy to buy and connect more panels. Last cool thing is the stereo/dvd system. Everything you need for music or movies is right there in one small unit. Lots of storage, though no long pass through for things like fishing poles. Metal siding is nice. It will take the bush alot better I think. Now, the bad. I bought this new off the lot. Come to find out, the dealers do not go through or check any of their inventory until its sold. Then they either take forever to prep it or do a shoddy rush job. Ok, my first major complaint. The color of the outdoor LED. Blue... Have you ever turned on a blue led in the northeast TX woods? Anything with wings in eyeshot will stop at nothing to get to that light.. This feature is getting replaced. In less than a month of use, the power awning power wire disconnected due to factory installing wires with no slack. The sofa under drawer support frame and rails separated because the Staples pulled out of the wood joints. And, the ac/dc inverter died before it was ever used. All of those things were either fixed/replaced/waiting for parts covered by warranty. Once I get through fixing/modifying, this will be one bad A little rig. So far Ive done a lot of fixture work and sealing. Added towel and paper role hangers, spice racks, key and hat hangars. Last piece of accompanyment are the rifle hangars over the driverside livingroom window/escape hatch. I recommend for 1-2 people. 3 if one is a small kid.
- P. Rogers, Texas

2021-09-16 2018 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1285SST View Listings

Bought new. Drawer glides held on by plastic stops that keep breaking. Shower curtain hanging supports are plastic and keep breaking. Threshold screws came loose and needed to be replaced. Two tires blew out; one ripped off the wheel well cover and cracked the side panel (which appears to be the thinnest plywood possible). One of the slide catches has never worked. Underneath is what appears to be painted fiberboard. It is exposed to the elements and whatever is coming up off of the road. It is starting to flake apart. Lock on the fantastic fan was plastic and broke. The awning didn't drain in the 1st rain event, and a pole broke. Can't replace just the pole, so I repaired with a wooden dowel and use a heavy c clamp on one side to make sure the awning drains. Plastic clips on the small bedside fans have all broken. Replacing with Velcro. Side mounted grill is secured by pins that are impossible to insert into the holes (poor design). Rusted parts that are not galvanized or otherwise protected against the weather. Brakes are starting to grab, getting those looked at next month. Bench seat that converts to sofa is made of what appears to be balsa wood; I am surprised it hasn't broken yet. Overall, this pop-up has a lot of room, and if built better would be awesome. It is unfortunate that the build quality is so poor. If I could do it all over again, it would not be anything built by forest river (Rockwood, coachmen, etc).
- Brent Crane, North Carolina

2021-09-15 2021 Coachmen Pursuit 31BH View Listings

How do you deliver a brand new RV to your dealer over 2200 miles away without noticing there is a light that stays on that there is no switch for and that the headlights are majorly malfunctioning. Leveling system non-functioning. Retailer was nonresponsive so I contacted coachman myself left several messages never heard back from them My bad for not doing a better research job on this company do yourself a favor look around for a better made RV. These guys don’t care
- Kevin Buckett, California

2021-09-09 2013 Coachmen Sportscoach Cross Country 405FK View Listings

My 4 auto Jack’s won’t release!!! After a week of relaxation time at Bethpage Camp/Resort in Virginia, come checkout time I can’t move without them up. Any suggestions? I definitely checked with roadside assistance and hopefully they can remedy this situation…rain rain go away come again another day (raining big time today)😳
- William C. Gatlin, Indiana

2021-09-03 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 270QB View Listings

This kid of RV very nice size for my family 6-8, easy driving, nice looking, big enough space inside . I suggest to buy a used car don’t buy a new car, Because new car come from factory still have a lot of issue to fix, buy used car is already fix everything driving smooth save a lot of time
- Giro, California

2021-08-31 2018 Coachmen Viking Ultra Lite 21RD View Listings

this rv is good quality, we have had 14 different rvs and this viking was one of the best, we will be buying another coachmen!, they are built well we did not have any problems with it in the 4 years we owned it, it pulled great evry thing on worked great, coachmen has the best floor plans and the most storage,they are built better then other brands.
- teresa, Michigan

2021-08-26 2019 Coachmen Apex Nano 208BHS View Listings

This is my third travel Trailer RV and I'm glad I selected the Coachmen APEX NANO 208BHS. The bunk house floor plan was amazing for our family of 5. our two boys slept in the bunks and daughter in the dinette slide out bed conversion. Towed like a dream and the quality inside and out is second to none.
- Matt Maher, North Carolina

2021-08-26 2021 Coachmen Chaparral 334FL View Listings

Its been a nightmare. Own it for a week and the a/c has not work right. It rains and the dining room slide out is leaking on the floor board somewhere. No manuals to see how things operate!!! Blinds are pit on crooked. Cupboards are cheap. 4 of them broke already. Hidden stuff im thinking i gotta a lemon Nothing has gone right since we went to pick it up
- Laurie art, Florida

2021-08-23 2017 Coachmen Apex Ultra-Lite 215RBK View Listings

We camp in nature not on a Walmart parking lot! This last trip , we had to drive in a field, slowly but surely, there were a few dips. I turned on the propane and could smell propane. Check the line and it is pinched between the frame and spring, Not designed well or the installation was by a lazy person. Fortunately a friend had some tape and it made it through the week, not have to rip it apart and replace the hose. This was the last problem I had, so far….. I don’t recommend coachman trailers.
- Dan, Alberta

2021-08-23 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS View Listings

We have loved traveling in this travel trailer. It was our home away from home. I’ve seen a few adventures. And it was always nice to be able to come home to your own bed. The nicest thing I’d have to say about this trailer is when you are stopped at a rest area. You can fully access the bathroom and refrigerator. Two things that I think that are very important when you’re looking for a travel trailer. And I love the fact that there’s a door that you can close if one person gets up before the other. Not just a curtain in between use it lets the light through and certainly the noise. It’s well insulated because we never had any trouble with outside noise.
- Susan Baron, Florida

2021-08-22 2020 Coachmen Prism 2150LE View Listings

This rv drives like a dream when compared with a similar size rv on a Ford chassis that I have owned. Interior is very spartan, vinyl flooring, vinyl surfaces everywhere, and I love it, so much easier to keep clean than rvs I have owned with lots of plush fabric and carpet or wood floors, this is what you WANT in a vehicle that you take to the beach or the campground. Storage area is outstanding, tons of room, multiple bins in the garage each with their own drains. Love the wifi ranger and how simple it makes setting up camp (only connect one device not 5 or 6). Love entertaining outdoors with this rv because everything is set up for that. The only negative is that the bed is VERY high off the floor, so getting in out of it requires sufficient gymnastics that if you own this rv AND have a prostate problem, you are probably going to get divorced. Found the "dream dinette" to be not very comfortable so I put in twin recliners instead, which makes camping a far more relaxing experience. Overall, I felt like this offered more long term value for the dollar than other similarly sized Class Cs.
- Steve Giersch, Florida

2021-08-22 2020 Coachmen Pursuit Precision 27XPS View Listings

This is our first Class A RV. Needed something small for just 2 people. Easy to drive, easy to set up, especially because no slides. Huge basement storage. Quality of finishes are OK, but our "wallpaper" is now peeling off in the bathroom and shower, perhaps because of our excessive heat in the High Desert. Love the couch across from the TV, and the storage drawer under the couch. Love the separate toilet/sink area across the hall from the shower. The separation accordion door to the bathroom is wonky, so we installed a curtain from the wall with the fridge across to above the stove, for easier access for privacy in the shower, and also to block off the control panel lights, which are very bright at night. The mattress is low quality, but works well with a foam topper that we actually put UNDER the mattress. The wider bedroom closet has a lot of wasted horizontal space, so added some permanent shelving. The storage above the bed is difficult to access without crawling over the bed. Access to getting into bed on the right side is pretty tight, but all designed with the area available to supply a queen-short bed. In the kitchen, there is just one drawer, under the fridge, and the cabinet above needed shelving added. The under-sink cabinet needs a shelf also. Love the size of the fridge. We rarely fill it completely, and the freezer has more than enough room. Love the L-shaped kitchen, just enough room to cook, but others can pass by to the bedroom at the same time. Love the double sinks, but would like a cover for at least one side, to have more counter space. The thing that attracted me to this RV was the big windows in the living area. Lots of light and cross-breeze. We removed the piston fixture for the front door, as just a breeze would blow the door closed. We added a magnet, just like the ones for the basement compartments, to let the door open flat against the rig. It does block some of the window when open, but we can utilize the screen door properly now, and it is not sticking out into the site when open. We tow a jeep with this rig, and it has no problems when going up a steep grade. Very satisfied with our RV and hope to use it for many years.
- cynthia maganuco, California

2021-08-21 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Pilot 20BHS View Listings

This is the first camper I have ever owned and have loved every minute of it. It allowed us to travel and be safe in our space at the same time. We have taken it to 5 states in the year we have had it.
- Shannon M Mix, Illinois

2021-08-21 2020 Coachmen Beyond 22D View Listings

I bought a coachmen Beyond 1 1/2 years ago. 1st time out my air conditioner, awning and rear screen did not work. I called service and was given a appointment 3 months out. They kept it for 2 months. We took the van out again and the air, awning and screen still did not work. I called service again and was told the next appointment would be in 3 months. They kept it several months and now say i will have to pay for the fixes because it is out of warranty. I have called and emailed the manufacture, but they don't answer your calls or return them. I am looking to file a lemon law.
- Cindy wurtz, Nevada

2021-08-21 2021 Coachmen Pursuit 31BH View Listings

Our family loved this RV. We went everywhere in this RV and it was always reliable. Kids loved it and everyone had a place to sleep, to including us, on the nice king size bed. Slept better on the upgraded RV mattress than our house mattress, which we will be ordering the same mattress for our house! The 5.5kw generator always came in handy, especially in the hotter states where we ran the generator and one AC while driving so the kids and I could relax while the hubby was driving.
- Heather, Illinois

2021-08-21 1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 305MB View Listings

Very well engineered. Drives very well easy to steer and smooth ride. Low maintenance costs. Parts availability not an issue. The v10 tritton has plenty of power and won't let you down. Interior is very rich looking and the layout is pleasing to the eye and very functional.
- Al, Wisconsin

2021-08-17 2015 Coachmen Prism 2150 LE View Listings

Great RV- very spacious, great gas mileage, maneuvers great, comfortable, well designed, designed for family, and reliable. The kitchen is well arranged and practical. Microwave and stove combo fits well.
- RV travel, Colorado

2021-08-14 2013 Coachmen Apex 278RLS View Listings

I would have said it was an acceptable RV in spite of a questionable floor plan. My main gripe is that the wheel wells are of poor design and are poorly installed. A blowout at 60 mph blew through a left side wheel well and tore out much of the wiring above. By that I mean it absolutely shredded the wiring. I've been waiting for 3 months for replacement parts before I can travel again. They apparently didn't keep any of these in stock for customer support.
- Scott Wendt, Florida

2021-08-13 2018 Coachmen Crossfit 22D View Listings

Our Crossfit has met all of our needs and expectations. It drives like a standard van and we had no problem going over the Teton pass recently. For livability, it has everything we need, but in a small space.
- Donald J Milligan, Oregon

2021-08-13 2009 Coachmen Cross Country 383FWS View Listings

Had the local dealer bring in from a dealer in another state. We wanted it for a trip 4 days from when they transferred it. We thought it was exactly what we were looking for. The dealer had it there on Monday and we had an appt to test drive it at 3 on Tuesday. On the test drive the entry door rattled at 35 miles an hour with little to no wind. After stopping we checked the door and noticed it was not rigid enough to withstand the vibrations and would be a constant problem. Noticed several defects that the dealer completely missed in their review. They had removed an access panel above the propane tank to find a leveling defect and didn’t replace it. When I saw what was behind it my heart sank. The compartment had trash left over from manufacturing and all of the expanding foam that was surrounding the lines to keep moisture out had already broken from thermal expansion and vibration. Poor design on that area. I Had read a review before going there that said the fuel hose from inlet to tank can get kinked in manufacturing so I looked at that. Sure enough there was a kink in the fuel hose. Don’t know if it was big enough to create flow problems. I was done at that point. Looked at Renegade unit on same platform and the entry door is much stiffer and construction seems to be more solid. Very disappointed in both the dealer and Jayco.
- Kaybee, Nebraska

2021-08-10 2006 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS View Listings

Bought this RV last year and have enjoyed several trips in New England. It drives great and has amazing "pick up". The layout is great with the bathroom as a buffer between the bedroom and living area. One of us can take a nap or sleep in without community noise. We really like the RV (our first) and have decided to buy new. Storage underneath is plentiful.
- Marcia Scott, Maine

2021-08-05 2019 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 333BHTSCK View Listings

This is my 1st RV. What a big mistake I made purchasing this. Broken doors and hinges, squeaky floors, water leaks in the bathroom. The worst thing was the Dealership I bought it from Specialty RV in Ohio near Columbus. They were real shady. But the RV itself is junk. We had leaks on all 3 slide outs from the time we got. Now the floor is rotted out in our living room. I now have a $3,200 repair bill. Of course this is not covered under warranty. I even bought and extended warranty and it's still not covered. This thing is a lemon.
- Charles G., Ohio

2021-08-05 2021 Coachmen Freedom Express UltraLite 192RBS View Listings

This is my first RV. I purchased it new, with COVID pricing late April 2021and was glad to have it. I tow it easily with my Volkswagen Touareg TDI. Due to having a male electrical adapter, I refer to this RV as a “he” and named him “little Herbie” or just Herbie. So, Herbie, my wife and I have gone on over 11 trips so far. Several lasting over 14 days. We have stayed at state parks, county parks, expensive/crowded private parks and even dry camped in norther WI. Herbie did not let us down. We have had no major issues, everything still works. Minor issues include: the red and white hoses under the kitchen sink keep leaking, the doors on the overhead compartments keep coming loose, cabinet latch mechanisms fall off, the tire under the front assembly had to be moved when the stabilizer bar was added (very irritating to lose the outside storage), it is not really solar ready, the mattress is terrible, there is no privacy shade on the door which is in front of the bathroom, the AC is so darn loud you can’t hear the TV or stereo, the sofa does not sleep 2 adults, maybe two toddlers, the bumper does not store a RhinoFlex sewer hose, it doesn’t fit, the bumper can’t have any thing added to it (e.g., bike rack, rack to hold sewer hose), and the Winegard is pretty expensive to get setup, and is just okay ‘to use daily. He only came with one battery… not cool. What I love about Herbie: he is so handsome, we get many compliments, all major components work, no leaks, no breakdowns, easy to clean, the ladder, the Azdel, no carpet, no vents in the floor, the sofa/dinette/my office very comfy for a few hours, dog friendly (Maltese and Schnauzer approved), I can cook/bake easily, ample indoor storage space, can tow with my SUV, AC keeps it cold in the summer, shower is tall and roomy, easy to clean, good storage under bed and in bathroom, porcelain toilet with leg room, nice decor. Fridge is big, everything is cold or frozen. Little pantry/entry closet is great for storage. So, as I head into Fall and Winter wish me luck. I love Herbie and we plan on growing old together. Hope to fix all the little issues that others tell me are pretty normal for RVs. If you are looking for a nice couples camper, consider this one as an option.
- Joan Gabriel, Minnesota