Palomino Columbus

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Palomino Columbus RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Benny and Patricia McCann from Arkansas says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Columbus 385BH View Listings

Our Columbus 385BH was manufactured December 11, 2014. We brought it home in January, 2015. We have had one trip in it that the slides worked. One of the slides hasn't worked since. We have been to the RV dealer seven times. The RV dealer has had it seven weeks while Forest River and the manufacturer of the slide mechanism argue over who will pay for it. The people at Palomino won't even talk to me. We are more than dissatisfied. We are still waiting for Palomino to send a part to fix the slide, and we definitely have warranty. I would like to think that this will help.
- Benny and Patricia McCann, Arkansas

2021-06-18 2017 Palomino Columbus 386FK View Listings

When I first received notification from RVT regarding a unit I was interested in, I foolishly thought they would connect me with a seller. After a few days of nothing I emailed again to Laurie at RVT assuring them I was a cash buyer very interested....after many more of these emails to RVT with no response I gave up. I suggest you do not waste any time with RVT as they do not offer a timely service.
- Charles D Fournier, Tennessee

2021-05-25 2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Love the floor plan. The large shower is a huge plus for us. That is where the positives end. Landing gear problems three times the first year resulting in replacing everything except the legs themselves. The second year we had to have four of the six legs rebuilt as they were jammed or had broken their shear pins. The dealer was no help. The black tank coupler in the belly of the unit came loose and was dripping waste into the belly of the unit. They cut open the the belly to fix the leak and only taped the opening instead of a more permanent fix. The coupling worked loose again a year later so I took it to an RV repair shop instead of the dealer. The black tank valve does not seal tight and therefore you get a big surprise when you remove the waste cap to attach the hose. I have had a gate installed on the waste pipe so I don't get any more surprises. The third year The brakes worked loose and ruined the the backing plate. The second year I noticed a bulge in the fiberglass at the bottom right of the bedroom slide. Fought with the dealer to address the issue. It was finally addressed by sending the unit back to the factory to have it fixed. It turned out to be a broken frame and pressure on the exterior wall causing the bulge. The floor in the kitchen area in front of the sink and stove are soft and feel like they will give way. I had the dealer look to see if there was any water leak causing the issue. The dealer said nothing looks water damaged. Since I had issues with he dealer I then took the unit to an RV repair shop and he confirmed no water damage. It turns out, after research on line, this is a known issue. (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f96/palomino-columbus-320-soft-floor-124438.html) The dealer will not address the issue and Forest River/Palomino will not return my calls on this. The third year again I inspected the roof half way through the season. There were several cracks in the bathroom skylight around the screws that fasten it to the roof and up into the skylight dome. The dealer said the warranty was expired and the extended warranty would not cover it. Two of the dual day/night roll up shades quit rolling up and are not useable. The two largest windows. The replacements are $235 and $275. This unit has been the biggest piece of crap I have ever purchased! I will never buy another Forest River product!
- Dennis Johnson, Minnesota

2021-05-01 2014 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

This is a beautiful 5th wheel and tows like it is not even back there. Easy to setup and very comfortable. We have only used this for vacations and it fit our needs perfectly. Love this 5th wheel.
- Bill, Arizona

2021-03-31 2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Took deliver on June 18 2014. It was back in the shop two weeks later with self- leveling landing gear issues. I went to pick it up three weeks later and the landing gear worked great. Got to my seasonal site and the landing gear would not lower. Back to the shop it goes. All in all, the unit was in the shop a total of six weeks the first year all for landing gear. Next year I noticed a bulge in the sidewall below the bedroom slide. Fought with the dealership all summer long to get it looked at. I sent the unit back to the factory that fall for a broken weld in the frame. The third year there was a brake malfunction and ruined the brakes and backing plate on one of the axels. Warranty argument and then repaired. Mid-season the fourth year the landing gear would not self- level. Some of legs would not operate at all. Dealership wanted $300 deposit $60 trip charge and "maybe" warranty would cover it. ( I purchased the 5 year extended warranty.) I politely told them what they could do could do with their deposit and trip charge. I bought hydraulic jacks and concrete blocks and removed the legs myself. I took them to a RV repair only shop and he rebuilt them. While removing the jacks I noticed a drip from the middle of the unit right under the bathroom. I took the unit to the dealer. Turns out the tank shifted and the coupling from the sewer line to the black tank came loose. It was repaired under warranty. Three weeks later after returning from a one week trip I noticed it was leaking under the bathroom again. This time I took it to the repair only shop. The tank shifted again and the coupling came loose. The coupling was to short so the repair only shop put in a longer full rubber coupling. No problems with tank leak since. Last year I noticed the floor in the kitchen in front of the sink was soft. I took it in the repair only shop that fixed the landing gear and had him inspect the RV for water leaks. None found. Turns out Forest River changed the design and went with a 5/8 inch sub floor instead of the 3/4. They also did not add any additional bracing to help support the thinner sub floor. This is a known issue I found through the Forest River web site. Warranty is over so I don’t know what I am going to do to get this fixed. I will never buy another Forest River product. They are junk!
- Dennis Johnson, Minnesota

2021-03-23 2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

My wife and I fell in love with this RV when we bought it. The quality and layout far exceeded others we looked at. We still love it, but just don't have time to use it. It looks great and is spacious. It tows great and has many high end features. We still like it better than most new ones we have seen.
- JOHN G. BUTLER,JR., Alabama

2021-03-22 2016 Palomino Columbus 377MB View Listings

We lived in our rig full-time for three years and loved every second of it. The floorplan is so livable and the finishes are beautiful. The rig held up well to the wear and tear of daily use, year-round. No regrets!
- Valerie, Maryland

2021-01-09 2018 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Bought new in 2018. Have had many issues. Some easy to take care of, other require getting out the major tools for a weekend repair. All taken care of by myself because of the bad experiences with dealers response. Some want you to pay and they also bill the factory. That is true. Latest issues are keeping the unit level. Must relevel every other day and yes I use pads under jacks. Now try to believe this. We lost warm air flow to our front bedroom and bathroom. Temps in 50’s. After opening up the basement rear wall and exposing the air ducts for everything, what a mess, I found the correct duct and when I tried to move it it felt like it was full of debris of some kind. I disconnected the upper end and WOW it was completely full of water. Water in a heating duct????? About 6-8 qts of debris filled water. Well that solved my issue with the heating. About 90 minutes of twisting, turning and getting bloody scratches. This is not made up.
- Shannon Stepp, Minnesota

2020-12-31 2019 Palomino Columbus 1492 View Listings

I had the rv back to Hitch rv on three different occasions for a window leaking. It was never fixed properly and now that the warranty is up Hitch is saying their no longer responsible for the damage the leak caused. I would recommend never buying a Forest River rv, and especially never buy an rv from Hitch.
- William DeGroff, New Jersey

2020-11-16 2015 Palomino Columbus 365RL View Listings

Our experience has been very good. This 5th wheel is built very well. I have had 1 or 2 minor problems, but with a quick phone call I was able to resolve them myself. This floor plan is very liveable for 2 and it is quite comfortable, especially with the recliners directly across from the large flat screen TV. Yes, I would recommend this brand. Thank You
- Robert Nelson, Oklahoma

2020-09-17 2018 Palomino Columbus 38FK View Listings

Absolutely the worst quality of craftsmanship. Floor does not have enough nails or screws, the floor is soft and lifting everywhere, the electrical has had so many shorts taking out a few plugs at a time. Window covering frames are in square, some are up to an inch off. Surround sound that came with unit is junk. The convection/ microwave lasted 2 months, probably because of electrical. Water leaks under sink and bathroom, their has been so many things wrong it sucks how bad this 5th wheel is. Warranty is worthless. Buy a different camping trailer , forest river is pure junk.
- Victor, New Mexico

2020-03-04 2019 Palomino Columbus 297RK View Listings

We like the floor plane . we found the cupboards and doors to be cheaply made . Some of the workmanship is poor' we had a dozen thing that had to be redone. holes not fill in around plumbing, doors coming a part, squeaky slides. doors in the closet plastic runners came off.one of the big things is no shades in slide beside the bed. trying to work with customer support on that. Am being told that maybe the way it was designed? shade in all the window except by the bed. pretty damn cheap. I may have to buy the shades but I will asked who made that decision. this company is suppose to have a good name. but cutting corners like this isn't good
- Larry, North Carolina

2020-01-20 2015 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We purchased this unit in Oct. 2018 and moved in May 2019. It was winterized and stored on our property during that time. I am sure the previous owners laughed all the way to the bank and happy with their new Solitude. Self-levelers and jacks don't work, had been worked on at least 3 times under warranty. Heater failed first week of needing it in Nov. 2019. After moving in: Seals on windows failing and moisture inside panes, all window latches required repair so windows would stay open when needed, trim pieces falling off, poor cabinet finish and trim more noticeable and apparent, floor in living room very flexible, front door crooked and loose wall frame, fiberglass in tub showing signs of damage on seat, frig was very warm and freezer hardly working. Upon further investigation, outside vent was blocked due to improper installation by factory. (heat sync was blocked). Bathroom skylight loose and leaking,(repaired by husband and scary to see actual construction when removed) paint on front cap fading and ugly, ..list goes on. We are stuck with this as this was our retirement. It is out of warranty at this point. Husband thought he had done his homework. Wish we'd kept our Keystone Challenger.
- Kim Cox, Nevada

2019-12-15 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We like this floorplan because you enter into the living room and not the kitchen. Secondly, with the 2 opposing slides it really opens up the living area. We bought this unit loaded out with the Voyager package and a stackable washer and dryer. Tows down the highway effortlessly. Quality is as good as the more expensive units out there (Redwood, Mobile Suites, Cross Creek, etc).
- John M, Florida

2019-11-12 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We purchased this unit based on 3 important factors: 1) Floorplan 2) Name 3) Weight This floorplan offers the optimum space for the size of unit. It is very open, and when you enter you do not enter into the kitchen/ Instead, you enter into the living room which is large with the 2 opposing slides. The name Columbus, manufactured by a division of Forest River, is a quality built unit for the price. We have had 2 small issues which the factory resolved without a hassle. Lastly the weight is 11,800 unloaded with cargo capacity of 3000 pounds. This allows for a washer and dryer to be added without sacrificing carrying your clothes and other camping equipment. It tows like it is not even behind you. Would recommend unit
- John M, Florida

2019-09-24 2017 Palomino Columbus 383FB View Listings

Towing the 5th Wheel with a Dodge Ram 3500 with dualies, we used the 5th Wheel one time to travel from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Utah; Denver, CO; Colorado Springs, CO; and back to Jacksonville. We had a blow out in New Mexico and the emergency assistance plan provided by Forest River was very responsive. This unit is like being at home. Very comfortable.
- Hazel Johnson, Florida

2019-09-14 2018 Palomino Columbus 383FB View Listings

We have owned several RVs and this one has been great and by far the best one yet. It tows exceptionally well since it's a 5th wheel and has the special tongue you barely know it's back there. With 4 slides it's very roomy, comfortable, and easy living for extended vacations. We love the half bath in the main cabin as well as the double sinks in the master bath.The full size fridge is also a plus and very convenient to stock up for long trips. The panty in kitchen, walk in closet, central vac and finally the on board washer and dryer takes this coach to the next level. It's truly the complete vacation package.
- fowlman, Delaware

2019-09-11 2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

We are wrapping up our 6th summer in this RV. We loved the floorplan when we first bought it and still do. The problems we had over the years were minor and did not stop us from using it. Our first outing, the a/c units did not cool well, refrigerator doors came open during travel and rear self leveling jacks kept running out of stroke before leveling. Dealer said nothing wrong but did replace fridge latches (didn't work). We solved all problems--found large chunks of styrofoam in a/c vents; sealed refrigerator doors by placing a short stiff rubber tube between doors to keep them shut while traveling; found we had to lower front end jacks close to ground after removing unit from truck and then hit level button. All works great now. We have had problems with drawers on both sides of fireplace and below fridge falling out while traveling. Solved by slipping a yard stick down thru the handles of the three drawers on each side of fireplace and crisscrossing bungy cords across face of fireplace; blocked the lower fridge cabinet with an ice chest we carry in which we store bottled water. After 35,000 towing miles and a combined 18 months of full-time summer living, we came close to replacing this trailer this 2019 summer with another "high end luxury" unit but found none that had all the same features (especially storage and closet space) as our Columbus. Plus the models we were considering all had some horrible reviews in terms of quality control and service. So we are saving $50-$80K after trade-in by keeping this one to spend what we hope will be several more summers in, avoiding the heat at home in Las Vegas. None of these 5th wheels are perfect. Recognize you need to get to know your unit and many problems can be worked around without the agony of fighting with dealers and probably waiting months for repairs that may do nothing to solve the problems.
- Ken Schmitz, Nevada

2019-09-05 2012 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Very good condition, bigger than what I am looking for. Inside was in excellent condition and very well taken care of,clean! Nice floor plan as well ,moveable island is a great option, didn’t look as if it has been used much at all. I have looked at some that appear to be never cleaned ,this was definitely not the case , just a little bit more camper than I can use .
- Steve Novelli , Pennsylvania

2019-08-04 2012 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Nice floor plan, plenty of room to move around. Kitchen has move around island which is very convenient. Very comfortable seating,electric fireplace is perfect for chilly days. Nice size shower . Plenty of room in bedroom to move around,dress, whatever. Overall a well done setup.
- Andy , Pennsylvania

2019-07-13 2014 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

We purchased our Columbus in October 2014, at the time we did not realize the amount of work we would have to have completed prior to use. Our trailer spent 8 of the first 12 months in the shop being repaired. When it was repaired we had to return numerous times as it was not repaired properly. This is the list of repairs, could not even enjoy the trailer for the first year. Hole on slide out weld by door Door does not shut properly Blind in bedroom towards front slides down by itself Heater casing bent not installed properly Bracket for Ac not installed properly Curtain in living room installed crooked Holes in bedroom wall on Karl's side Curtain hook broken on Karl's side Front of shower pan leaks that holds the glass doors (rail) Plug in - in bathroom crooked not installed properly Kitchen sink door does not shut Fenders are cracking and breaking by screws Brake system on trailer locking up Slide in for living room scratching the floor Refrigerator not working on LP gas Fenders are cracking Gas makes funny noise when going into trailer Leveling system board broken
- Karl Lester, Washington

2019-06-20 2015 Palomino Columbus 295RL View Listings

Loved this unit. We lived in it through two winter seasons in the Keys and used it for camping through the summer. The only reason we sold it was because of health issues. Quality throughout and a great floorplan.
- Kathie Pontious, Michigan

2019-06-11 2018 Palomino Columbus 377MBC View Listings

This is an absolutely beautiful and excellent functioning, well laid out fifth wheel! Feels huge inside! We love the Mid Bunk Layout. The Kitchen is very nice with a big island and full size refrigerator.
- Josh Haering, Florida

2019-03-29 2015 Palomino Columbus 370FL View Listings

Have been out with the unit 6 times the frame is cracked and know one seems to be willing to do anything mean while the payments keep coming and I have know idea who can make a repair the dealer says they can fix it Good times.
- Gregory Keyworth, North Carolina

2019-03-23 2017 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

We have lived in our 320rs for 2 1/2 years now full time. These rigs are not made to handle everyday living they are for recreational use that being said...Yes we have had some minor problems some trim fell off while traveling over NY roads and the long window box sagged after a year, our residential refrigerator fell over during travel, I didn’t like the couch (I don’t like RV furniture period) and our outside door didn’t close properly, and a few minor things. After the run around from some dealers for warranty service I called Columbus. They found a dealer near us and upon arrival the dealer had a list of what needed fixing, we reviewed it together and Columbus covered everything, even though the dealer stated they probably wouldnt replace the door because it was a year old. There were a few delays in delivery of items but it was because the dealer ordered the wrong parts and the refrigerator was late due to weather conditions (flooding). There is an excellent Facebook group of owners who are ready and willing to assist whenever there’s a problem. We love the floor plan however they no longer offer it. The Columbus team is a small division of Forest River and has been very good to us.
- Terri, New York