Northwood Reviews on RV Insider (131)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Northwood RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Paige Whitworth from Arizona says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

4 months after having our unit we had issues with cooling off the inside. Outside temp 109, inside 101. assumed it was due to being to hot. Found out there was no insulation around refrigerator or in the cap so heated air was blowing in from the outside from out vanity bedroom drawers. The AC was also not installed completely causing the cold air to reverse and froze out AC unit. In trying to figure out what we thought we were doing wrong I called the dealership in Mesa, AZ who, after this ordeal that took over 8 months to figure out, has a better business rating of "F", they told me to, and this is literally, "Suck it up". I called Northwood and they would not help us where we were that had an onsite service center and stated that if we had any work done, they would not cover it. We ended up, at the start, sitting for 7 hours in our running truck with our dogs due to the high heat, had to buy an apartment window AC unit just to try and cool off the bed so we could drive the next morning, and buy a box fan to try and keep the flow of air circulating. At this time we didn't know the issues but frustrating none the less. We also had issues with drawer bottoms falling out with light load, screws constantly coming lose on drawer handles, the bedroom drawer constantly coming off the track, and the shower was leaking which was caused by poor installation and had to be reset and resealed. Northwood did cover the items when we got it back but as for helping on the road, they were of no help nor would they reimburse despite the fact that these issues were not our doing and the unit came from the factory that way.
- Paige Whitworth, Arizona

2021-04-15 2019 Northwood Nash 17K View Listings

I did my research before buying the Nash. There is a lot of junk being built out there these days and the reviews reflect that. The Northwoods products had high praise and return buyers, so I made the plunge. I have not been disappointed. I drove this trailer from coast to coast and it took great care of me. Everything worked as it should, it handled well in the mountains, and kept me warm in below zero weather. The build quality is good and in 7000 miles of traveling I haven't had to make any repairs or have warranty work done. After hearing all the nightmare stories of other brands and seeing how cheaply comparable trailers were built, I am glad I spent the extra money for the Nash. You get what you pay for. Pros: Good build quality, stable with shocks on the axles, Perfect length- didn't have to unhitch at most pullthrough sites, 4 seasons, big holding tanks, prewired solar Cons: No dealers nearby, a bit more expensive than comparable sized trailers. I would recommend this trailer with no hesitation and buy a Northwoods product in the future.
- Jay Paulson, Illinois

2021-04-06 2015 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

This is my favorite Rv Trailer. I did consumer reports before I purchased 2015 Northwood Artic Fox 25y brand new.So much storgage inside and just cozy and comfortable for traveling. I would recommend any Artic Fox.
- Julie Bowen, Washington

2021-03-31 2007 Northwood Arctic Fox Silver Fox 29FT View Listings

We purchased our Silver Fox trailer about five years ago. The huge 42 inch slide in the living room dining room allows us room to have company and a dog without getting in each other's way. We are the third owner and everything works great. Have had no problems with it. I highly recommend getting one with the bedroom slid to give more room for storage.
- Connie Morrill, Oregon

2021-03-29 2015 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

Bought the Artic Fox 25y at the Seattle RV show. We have traveled cross country have done the Oregon coast and the Arizona desert. We pulled the trailer with a Ford F350 SD with the 6.7L diesel engine and the trailer was wonderful to tow, easy to set up, has plenty of storage and very comfortable to live in. We love the layout and especially the separate toilet room. We would highly recommend Artic Fox as the quality is excellent.
- John Bowen, Washington

2021-03-15 2019 Northwood Wolf Creek 850 View Listings

Overall really great camper. Bought new and had minimal defects but working with Northwood for the warranty work was super easy. Lots of counter space for the kitchen, the dinette was moderately comfortable but its gets a little cramped with the table sticking so far out (wish you could move the table to more places). Really enjoyed this camper, fits perfectly on 3/4 ton truck
- Zackary, California

2021-02-06 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 25R View Listings

Bought it new. Full timers. Came with every option including generator. Had a significant list of squawks. Frame was rusting. Drawers needed repairing. Other little stuff that I took care of. I was impressed by the frame strength -- very good. I have been doing many upgrades. We removed the short wall at the foot of the bed. Stupid design. We treated and repainted frame with Por 15 products.(lots of work). I added 7 inches of isopoly insulation boards under front half of trailer in large empty spaces. (R40 anyone?) Upgraded to Moryde IS with disc brakes. (They are the best.) Later found water freezing up at 20 degrees F. There was about 15 feet of un-insulated vinyl hose from fresh water tank to pump. Duhh. That was freezing up. Put heat tape on it. Then insulated the heck out of it. Removed back half coplast underbelly, installed extra Ultra Heat pads on tanks and dump valves. Added lot's of pink insulation everywhere and closed it up with 2 to 4 inches of isopoly insulation boards under tanks and enclosed full underbelly. Used eternabond to seal everything up. Painted it with black enamel. Put lots of insulation behind from headboard of bed. Was very cold area lacking much insulation. Plastic film over the dual pane windows. Door blanket over door. Solar, large screen TV and satellite too. 600 ah Lithium battery bank, inverter, b to b charger. Anyway, this is now the warmest, tightest, most comfortable trailer i have every owned. I do not skirt it because we travel a lot. It is 6 degrees as i write this. 80 degrees inside trailer. (We have spent most of our lives in the tropics and like it very warm.) One small electric space heater and one dehumidifier keeping it nice and warm and dry. At this temp of 6, once every two hours or so, the lp furnace will cycle for just a few minutes. Above 10 degrees no lp furnace needed at all. Attention to detail, added lots of insulation, and a good design to start with. I think (guess) this trailer is good to 30 below now. I will test it to -12 F below in two nights. It tows like a dream. Have pulled it is 50 MPH crosswinds with F250 -- no problem, no sway. Coated outside with nano ceramic coating. Bugs don't stick. Have boondocks for three weeks at a time in it. (Tank size sets the outside limit without blueboy and water bladder backup.) Can access everything with slide in. Great for rest area naps. It is a heavy trailer. Well built but they could put more attention to details. Overall, I won't trade this trailer for anything I else I have seen. With my many mods, it is my castle on wheels and I love it. Would not trade it for Airstream or any other trailer that is 27 feet. Took some work, and some money, but I think this unit now is the best. It is NOT for sale!
- wertz, Illinois

2021-01-29 2016 Northwood Desert Fox 21SW View Listings

This camper is very comfortable and the quality is outstanding. I love all the storage space for helmets, gear etc. The kitchen cupboards accommodate all the pots and pans and food that you need. The fridge is very large and works great! Having a full bathtub is a bonus and bathroom has a large cabinet for all your clothes. The fuel station and air compressor is a must and came in handy on several trips. This camper is top notch quality compared to others. 4 season polar package and all tanks are insulated! Pulls great down the road.
- Carolyn johnson, Montana

2021-01-27 2016 Northwood Desert Fox 21SW View Listings

Love the design and layout. When our toys are unloaded we sit on the back patio and enjoy. Plenty of room on the 2 beds and very cozy with our thick pad. The storage is amazing for helmets, gear, food and pots a d pans. I love having the full bath tub. Electric awnings are so nice to have. Top notch cabinets and all the appliances. The quality of this camper is uncomparable to others. All seasons with the artic package really holds in the heat. The underneath is completely insulated also. Sturdy tight camper!Pulls great
- Carolyn johnson, Montana

2021-01-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 990 View Listings

Previously had an older Skyline Weekender camper that was getting to old to fix. Frame issues, leaks etc. So I started looking at another used rig but didn't find anything that was exactly what I wanted. I then started seriously looking at most of the top brands new models and narrowed it down to four different manufacturers. Northern Lite, Bigfoot, Adventurer, and Arctic Fox. So I sent out some exploratory e-mails to a few different RV dealers to see what was available. That same evening , I think a Sunday no less I received a response from the GM at Apache Camping Center in Portland and he said that he had all four of my choices on his lot available to view side by side. This was May of 2018. A week later the wife and I flew up from San Diego and had an appointment for the following morning. So we show up the next day and meet with the GM and discuss what were looking for and he assigned one of their knowledge salesmen to walk us through the different campers and would answer any questions we had. Wasn't sure about a slide-out or not but was open to the idea. Looking at the Adventurer it looked nice but it had a slide-out on the drivers side and that was a deal breaker. Wouldn't be able to park on side of street and extend side as it would be in into traffic, Strike 1. Looked at a Bigfoot they had and it was nice but the facing dinette was small on one side so no way four people could sit side by side, Strike 2. Next up was the Northern lite and they had a couple different models. No slide which was ok and I liked the back porch area and the fit and finish was top notch but I didn't care for the large windows or the way they functioned. Not my cup of tea. So strike 3. Last but not least was the Arctic fox models 811,865, and the 990. Unfortunately the wife and I went into the 990 first and that was all she rote. With the slide out extended and the arched ceiling there was so much more room inside it wasn't funny. The dinette seats were large and the same sizes. The windows (double pane) were tinted and functioned like I wanted. The skylights were a bonus in the main salon and bathroom. But one of the biggest option it had that was available was ordering just the 3 burner stove top and having 2 large drawers below where the oven would of been to store all the cooking pots pans etc. Decided on the Convection / Microwave combo and a few other items and went inside to make the deal. So after deciding on everything we wanted and being told it would be ready for pick-up in 5 weeks we left a deposit to start the build and agreed to come back when it was ready. About 5 weeks exactly the wife and I drove up to pick it up ( took two days) and showed up when they opened and spent a bit of time inspecting to make sure all was ok and then went in to sign papers and pay the remaining balance and then went outside and loaded up on my truck. Luckily the truck was already set up with Forklift tie-downs, Front and Rear BR Sway bars, Airlift 5000 airbags and 1 ton rear springs and this is on a 2004 Ford F250 supercab. It took us 4 days to get back home taking our time and seeing some friends along the way. This past year I sold the 04' F250 and got a 19' F350 CCSRW with all the same mods that my 3/4t had and couldn't be happier. Been down to Baja a number of times as well as AZ, NM and all around Cali. Purchased a 2000k propane/gas generator that fits in the Gen storage area ( cost $600 instead of 4k from the dealer ) and added 510w of solar on the roof this thing is pretty self sufficient when going off grid. Was planning to do the Pacific Northwest this past year but that got nixed. Hopefully this year will be better. LOVE THE CAMPER and the dealer was great and we got a great deal. Only issue I have had was the check valve in the fresh water pump was sticking so Northwood sent me a new one for free and I installed it took all of an hour. Fixed the check valve and now have a spare.
- Mike Green, California

2020-12-28 2020 Northwood Nash 21K View Listings

Nash21 review In early 2020, my wife and I replaced our 2015 Forest River A-frame camper, with a Northwood, Nash 21K. Although we had a lot of adventures with that A-frame, and it always served us well, it had gotten to the point where it started to feel as small and compact as a Hobbit hole in the Shire hillsides. And to make matters worse, trying to dead-lift the 200# plus roof assembly, was about as arduous and frightening for us, as it must have been for Frodo Baggins, trying to make it to Mordor, to cast his ring of power into the volcano under Mt. Doom. We bought our new Nash at Thunder RV in La Grande, Oregon. Thunder RV sells Nash campers, as well as Arctic Fox Toy Haulers. Plus, they also sell Keystone products. Northwood builds Nash and Arctic Fox products right in La Grande, and Keystone, is built just up the road in Pendleton, Oregon. And of course, as everyone knows, Pendleton was put on the map years ago, thanks to the Pendleton Woolen Mills, and the fine wool products they make. The Nash served us very well this year, and we put around 4,000 miles on it, and spent over 20 days on the road. It came with a 20-watt solar panel, and we added an additional 70-watt panel on the roof top. With a mere 90 watts of output, (on a sunny day!) we were able the keep the 2-12-volt RV batteries charged, letting us dry camp several nights along the Yellowstone, and other Montana rivers in September, as we headed east to the Dakota States. Other than a small problem with the 12-volt electric awning extending properly, the Nash performed flawlessly, and I would recommend Nash Camper products to anybody! And for what it is worth, we would recommend Thunder RV anytime…and while you are in La Grande, you may also be to take a tour of the Northwood factory, if you get there at the right time and day! And it is always a hit to drive up to Pendleton and visit the Woolen Mills Outlet Store!
- djmurphy0853, Washington

2020-12-22 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5K View Listings

We bought a 2020 Unit to find out that they upgraded some things so they could sell it as a 2020. We did not want the massage recliners, the specs said trifold couch so it only sleeps 2 people now. The other recliners are junk, the back is broke in half one one of them. 3 days after we bought it the power board for the refrigerator broke so it only works one 115 volts now and not on gas. I talked to the warranty people and was told it’s a norcold problem and they don’t warranty individual appliances. I talk to norcold and got the big runaround, still no gas operation and can’t get them to talk to the RV people in town to get it fixed. Day 1 we stopped to eat and the fan blades and screws were on the floor. We had to buy a fold out couch and not sure what to do about the broken recliner. We asked for the optional A/C and was told sorry there are non available. They installed a horrible magnifying mirror in the bathroom as a rip off upgrade, it went in the trash. We did not get what the original specification sheet said was in it and feel very ripped off. I found 20 stripped cabinet screws and had to epoxy them in the holes. The tv in the living room flops around and if you don’t hold it back against while putting the slide out it will catch and rip the tv out of the wall and destroy the trim on the slide out. We talked to the dealer where we bought it and got no response except to call whoever made the furniture and appliances to get warranty. This is so far been impossible to achieve as no one backs their products. We don’t know what to do or how to get satisfaction for a badly engineered and subpar furniture and appliances. I had to move the shower head assembly from the middle of the stall and put it on the corner so the water actually hits you now. They installed it above the seat that’s to small to sit on and it was impossible to take a shower the way it was made. The company needs to fire all their engineers and find better vendors for appliances and if someone would help us it would be nice. In my opinion no one should purchase a Northwood made RV and we are out $60,000 for this piece of junk. Maybe someone at the company will read this and make amends but we don’t think this will happen because we just get the runaround from everyone.
- Russell Larsen, New Mexico

2020-12-06 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 25R View Listings

4.0 quality throughout. Can use this 25R without extending the slide out while in transit allowing use of the bathroom and refrigerator without any inconvenience The insulation Northwood installs prevents the AC from running continually when the outside temperature in very hot Have not used it in the winter however the undercarriage is heated and is a true 4 season RV
- Roger Stenzel, Montana

2020-12-02 2016 Northwood Nash 22H View Listings

I have owned several RV's over the years and this was without a doubt the worst quality unit that I have ever owned. 80% of the screws in the cabinet hardware were stripped from being over tightened. There was sawdust and construction trash in every nook and cranny. Sawdust sifted down from the ceiling. One of the roof vents was installed backwards. Abundant rust on the frame and undercarriage. The vinyl flooring was not sealed down and had big bulges and bubbles. I spent 4 years fixing all of the problems and sold the trailer. Based on my experience, if you are considering a new RV do yourself a favor and do not purchase anything made by Northwood Manufacturing.
- Bob Redwine, Arizona

2020-11-11 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I've owned two other truck campers from Lance and this beats both of them hands down. Livability in the AF 1140 can't be beat. We're a family of four with an 80 lb golden retriever and there is plenty of room for all of us. Holding tanks and fresh water are plenty for a week stay.
- Gregory, Virginia

2020-11-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

Bought a 2020 811 truck camper based on what I’d heard and read about the Arctic Fox brand of RV’s. My brother also owned a 2012 version of the same camper and had nothing but good things to say. Oh how times change. I’ve had multiple problems with my 811 and thus far my experiences with Northwood customer service have been less than stellar. They have either referred me to an appliance manufacturer for resolution of a problem, or completely neglected to get back to me, or have not followed through with commitments made over the phone. The problems: Fridge runs constantly on gas or electric; a large loom of wires was draped unsupported over a water supply hose coming out of the pressure-demand pump, and the dynamic loading from traveling weakened the fitting. The fitting broke while the pump was switched on but no water was flowing, and the release of pressure caused the pump to kick on and water poured out of the broken fitting and into the basement. The dining room table trim is falling off from the perimeter of the table, and the weather sealing throughout is horrible. Opening the hampers on either side of the bed in cold weather is like opening a walk-in freezer, and donning clothes that were stored in them is seemingly like putting on clothes that were stored in an igloo. Using the USB ports on either side of the bed results in the ports annunciations a high-pitched whine that is nearly impossible to sleep through. Insulation of various exterior compartments is almost non-existent, even though this unit is advertised as a “4-season” RV. Sealing of the rear exterior compartments is ineffective, causing water and dirt to accumulate inside them. Compartment doors and hinges are so flimsy that they sag badly when opened, and locks are cheap. Considering the price charged for this camper none of these problems should exist. Northwood charges a premium for their offerings, although given the current trend of inferior materials and workmanship quality they won’t be doing that for long. I foresee them losing significant market share as a result of their profit-only business strategy, whilst neglecting quality workmanship and materials. It’s evident that even the (historically) better manufacturers have elected to provide hugely inferior products and workmanship in the interests of cost reduction, while maintaining high retail pricing to maximize earnings. I had initially planned on stepping up to an AF 5th wheel eventually, but I won’t be spending another penny on another AF unless they undertake a major turnaround over the next few years.
- Tom, Washington

2020-10-28 2019 Northwood Nash 29S View Listings

Well just completed 7 months of full time living with approx 7k miles. 2 adults and 2 kids. This trailer was really good 1 quick repair during the entire time. The only issue I had fixed was a propane hose started leaking and so I just turned off the gas for that side and used the opposite. Calling Northwood they arranged a repair place just 45 min away and a 30 min repair and I was on my way. While I had minor screw tightening and screen door adjusting and even shower caulking to do on the road. I was very impressed with the quality of the trailer as well as the manufacturer support. 1 window didn't slide all the way open and that was not critical enough for me to fix while living in it however Northwood arranged to get that fixed as soon as I stopped travelling full time. In short this is a great trailer and I could not be happier especially hearing some of the horror stories from others who were back and forth to the dealer multiple times in the first few months. Thank you Northwood for a great quality product that just works. My whole family loved the trailer and were sad when we sold it. I would recommend the double pane windows for sound insulation as much as heating and cooling. Also little things like quality tyres and a usable bed which on other trailers need to be replaced before you can really use it. We did add a mattress topper for a little softer feel. Overall really happy and highly recommend to anyone who is in the market for a trailer. Only star dropped was due to curtains covering the bunk beds rather than something more substantial.
- Shawn Smith, California

2020-10-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

I've had this RV for a year and it has been solid! Great insulation and no problems with the build. I've been shocked to hear the horror stories from my friends about the problems they've had with their rigs from other manufacturers. I'm so glad that I made the choice to buy from Northwood, nothing but great things to say!
- Lisa, California

2020-10-14 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 25W View Listings

Recently purchased a new 2020 25W from Kelly RV in Milton PA. I'm a first time trailer owner. First, The team at Kelly did a super job prepping the rig on the day of pickup. All the "options" and Reese Wt distributing hitch ready to go after they provided a very thorough walk-through and operations. Great Sales and service group! Now for the trailer: I took it on an 800mi maiden voyage up to northern NY for a week of Steelhead/salmon fishing. Being a novice at big-box tow (F250 6.7 T powerstroke) it took a bit of white-knuckling for the first hour or so, but ya necessarily pick it up quickly. To an experienced big-box puller, this has got to be easy stuff. Pulled into my friend's property, leveled and set up boondocked. No popped screws or sawdust anywhere in the trailer! Days were low 50's (at best) night's were high 30s. The trailer was warm and cozy the entire time, even through a full day of 45mph winds with sideways rain/sleet (not a good fishing day). All the services worked perfectly. It used only a fraction of the LP in one tank for the entire week (thermostat at 65 at night). Had 2 Optima Blue batteries and 170W solar added as options, never ran out of juice even thru a 36H period with no/little sunlight. Recharged back to full by late morning... amazing. Fresh water tank (shower every day etc) had 1/3 left, grey(s) and black were at 1/3 full. and the heated/massaging recliners are a godsend after a day walking a big river. Bottom line - the AF25W is very comfortable, well equipped and frankly, just easy to get comfortable with. So to a first-timer, on his first solo boondock voyage, the trailer is fantastic. I'll do another review after a few more trips.
- John M, Pennsylvania

2020-09-30 2014 Northwood Nash 24M View Listings

Great trailer overall in terms of floor plan for a bunkhouse. Good features such as fully insulated/heated plumbing. Coach and windows are well insulated - slept in several snow storms and hardly knew it with no frozen pipes. Nice gas access w/ the quick connect toward the back. Problem is that Northwood seems to have put bad leaf springs in the suspension system on those manufactured around this time. Had one break had it and its twin on that axle replaced and now the other broke on the other side. The repair people said it was pretty unusual on a trailer of this age and even said that they've seen most trailers go their whole life span w/ out broken springs. I see others post the same problem with their 2014 Nash trailers. On a dual axle, a broken spring is very dangerous as the wheels can contact each other in tow. I called Northwood and they said to contact the company that made the suspension - no response. I posted a bad review on Google and a Northwood rep responded dismissively saying they didn't install "bad" springs and suggesting it must be something I did - overloading the trailer - which I've never done - admitting that they "upgraded" springs for more capacity on later trailers which I get for marketing to new buyers but does nothing for MY trailer and ME! My trailer has been very pampered with very few miles on it and covered in storage most of its life so far. I get that these things require maintenance and can cost quite a bit to do so - but it seems only fair that Northwood should offer some way to make good on this. Not happy right now.
- Andres Martinez, Colorado

2020-09-14 2019 Northwood Nash 24B View Listings

Overall I don't give anything 5 stars EVER! But, with that said this Nash is a very good quality unit with no major issues so far. Just bought the unit from a dealer in PA and drove there from NH. I have owned many campers in my life and lately they are mostly junk, with a few exceptions like Northwood and Outdoors RV. When my wife mentioned that she would consider a camper again and since I sold my 21' Outdoors RV last summer, I told her the only one I would buy in the Northeast was located in PA and was this NASH unit I have had my eye on since the beginning of the year and still available. The dealership did a thorough PDI and all systems worked including valves, USB charging ports, etc. Quality seemed very good throughout the camper with a few imperfections here and there...but really minor. The window shade on top bunk did not work and the wood door on the cabinet by the bathroom door had huge knots that don't look the greatest and may impact the integrity of the door someday. Working with dealer getting these replaced so we shall see. The camper overall is very nice and would not hesitate to buy another Northwood product!!
- Don, New Hampshire

2020-09-07 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

My wife and I decided to downsize last fall from a 33' 5th wheel to this 27' rig. The skylight placement and windows provide more daylight than our last 5th wheel. The galley has lots of room to move around with plenty of cupboard space and a huge pantry. A Solar Panel monitor keeps batteries charged up. The only drawback for us is the closet space; but hey, we decided to downsize and this is the only drawback we have.
- Bob Andrews, Minnesota

2020-09-07 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Outside is faded some due to the AZ sun but there isn’t much rust for being 25years old. Awning is slightly torn where it attaches To the bar and is faded but is fully functional. The inside has been nicely remodeled and can comfortable fit a family of three even though it sleeps up to five. Storage is decent with inside outside access under one of the bench seats. A full length closet next to the fridge, and storage under the loft bed. As well as a continual “U” shaped cabinet around the top. It’s worth taking a look at if your looking for a tiny house, spare bedroom, or office. Would be a good weekender ride.
- Ted, Arizona

2020-09-05 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Beautifully kept for a 25 yr old camper! Very clean, quaint and updated, plus the hitch and truck are a buying options. Worth noting that axels have been switched so that there’s more ground clearance. Good find, awesome deal!
- April , Arizona

2020-08-21 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

Excellent and reliable, suspension is safe and easy to tow, fully insulated as it is a true FOUR SEASONS RV. Upgraded ac keeps RV cool on hottest days, all wood cabinets, plenty of storage, large refrigerator & freezer with stove which all operates on propane or electric.
- James Bullock, Texas