Northwood Reviews on RV Insider (118)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Northwood RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Paige Whitworth from Arizona says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

4 months after having our unit we had issues with cooling off the inside. Outside temp 109, inside 101. assumed it was due to being to hot. Found out there was no insulation around refrigerator or in the cap so heated air was blowing in from the outside from out vanity bedroom drawers. The AC was also not installed completely causing the cold air to reverse and froze out AC unit. In trying to figure out what we thought we were doing wrong I called the dealership in Mesa, AZ who, after this ordeal that took over 8 months to figure out, has a better business rating of "F", they told me to, and this is literally, "Suck it up". I called Northwood and they would not help us where we were that had an onsite service center and stated that if we had any work done, they would not cover it. We ended up, at the start, sitting for 7 hours in our running truck with our dogs due to the high heat, had to buy an apartment window AC unit just to try and cool off the bed so we could drive the next morning, and buy a box fan to try and keep the flow of air circulating. At this time we didn't know the issues but frustrating none the less. We also had issues with drawer bottoms falling out with light load, screws constantly coming lose on drawer handles, the bedroom drawer constantly coming off the track, and the shower was leaking which was caused by poor installation and had to be reset and resealed. Northwood did cover the items when we got it back but as for helping on the road, they were of no help nor would they reimburse despite the fact that these issues were not our doing and the unit came from the factory that way.
- Paige Whitworth, Arizona

2020-11-11 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 View Listings

I've owned two other truck campers from Lance and this beats both of them hands down. Livability in the AF 1140 can't be beat. We're a family of four with an 80 lb golden retriever and there is plenty of room for all of us. Holding tanks and fresh water are plenty for a week stay.
- Gregory, Virginia

2020-11-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 811 View Listings

Bought a 2020 811 truck camper based on what I’d heard and read about the Arctic Fox brand of RV’s. My brother also owned a 2012 version of the same camper and had nothing but good things to say. Oh how times change. I’ve had multiple problems with my 811 and thus far my experiences with Northwood customer service have been less than stellar. They have either referred me to an appliance manufacturer for resolution of a problem, or completely neglected to get back to me, or have not followed through with commitments made over the phone. The problems: Fridge runs constantly on gas or electric; a large loom of wires was draped unsupported over a water supply hose coming out of the pressure-demand pump, and the dynamic loading from traveling weakened the fitting. The fitting broke while the pump was switched on but no water was flowing, and the release of pressure caused the pump to kick on and water poured out of the broken fitting and into the basement. The dining room table trim is falling off from the perimeter of the table, and the weather sealing throughout is horrible. Opening the hampers on either side of the bed in cold weather is like opening a walk-in freezer, and donning clothes that were stored in them is seemingly like putting on clothes that were stored in an igloo. Using the USB ports on either side of the bed results in the ports annunciations a high-pitched whine that is nearly impossible to sleep through. Insulation of various exterior compartments is almost non-existent, even though this unit is advertised as a “4-season” RV. Sealing of the rear exterior compartments is ineffective, causing water and dirt to accumulate inside them. Compartment doors and hinges are so flimsy that they sag badly when opened, and locks are cheap. Considering the price charged for this camper none of these problems should exist. Northwood charges a premium for their offerings, although given the current trend of inferior materials and workmanship quality they won’t be doing that for long. I foresee them losing significant market share as a result of their profit-only business strategy, whilst neglecting quality workmanship and materials. It’s evident that even the (historically) better manufacturers have elected to provide hugely inferior products and workmanship in the interests of cost reduction, while maintaining high retail pricing to maximize earnings. I had initially planned on stepping up to an AF 5th wheel eventually, but I won’t be spending another penny on another AF unless they undertake a major turnaround over the next few years.
- Tom, Washington

2020-10-28 2019 Northwood Nash 29S View Listings

Well just completed 7 months of full time living with approx 7k miles. 2 adults and 2 kids. This trailer was really good 1 quick repair during the entire time. The only issue I had fixed was a propane hose started leaking and so I just turned off the gas for that side and used the opposite. Calling Northwood they arranged a repair place just 45 min away and a 30 min repair and I was on my way. While I had minor screw tightening and screen door adjusting and even shower caulking to do on the road. I was very impressed with the quality of the trailer as well as the manufacturer support. 1 window didn't slide all the way open and that was not critical enough for me to fix while living in it however Northwood arranged to get that fixed as soon as I stopped travelling full time. In short this is a great trailer and I could not be happier especially hearing some of the horror stories from others who were back and forth to the dealer multiple times in the first few months. Thank you Northwood for a great quality product that just works. My whole family loved the trailer and were sad when we sold it. I would recommend the double pane windows for sound insulation as much as heating and cooling. Also little things like quality tyres and a usable bed which on other trailers need to be replaced before you can really use it. We did add a mattress topper for a little softer feel. Overall really happy and highly recommend to anyone who is in the market for a trailer. Only star dropped was due to curtains covering the bunk beds rather than something more substantial.
- Shawn Smith, California

2020-10-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

I've had this RV for a year and it has been solid! Great insulation and no problems with the build. I've been shocked to hear the horror stories from my friends about the problems they've had with their rigs from other manufacturers. I'm so glad that I made the choice to buy from Northwood, nothing but great things to say!
- Lisa, California

2020-10-14 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 25W View Listings

Recently purchased a new 2020 25W from Kelly RV in Milton PA. I'm a first time trailer owner. First, The team at Kelly did a super job prepping the rig on the day of pickup. All the "options" and Reese Wt distributing hitch ready to go after they provided a very thorough walk-through and operations. Great Sales and service group! Now for the trailer: I took it on an 800mi maiden voyage up to northern NY for a week of Steelhead/salmon fishing. Being a novice at big-box tow (F250 6.7 T powerstroke) it took a bit of white-knuckling for the first hour or so, but ya necessarily pick it up quickly. To an experienced big-box puller, this has got to be easy stuff. Pulled into my friend's property, leveled and set up boondocked. No popped screws or sawdust anywhere in the trailer! Days were low 50's (at best) night's were high 30s. The trailer was warm and cozy the entire time, even through a full day of 45mph winds with sideways rain/sleet (not a good fishing day). All the services worked perfectly. It used only a fraction of the LP in one tank for the entire week (thermostat at 65 at night). Had 2 Optima Blue batteries and 170W solar added as options, never ran out of juice even thru a 36H period with no/little sunlight. Recharged back to full by late morning... amazing. Fresh water tank (shower every day etc) had 1/3 left, grey(s) and black were at 1/3 full. and the heated/massaging recliners are a godsend after a day walking a big river. Bottom line - the AF25W is very comfortable, well equipped and frankly, just easy to get comfortable with. So to a first-timer, on his first solo boondock voyage, the trailer is fantastic. I'll do another review after a few more trips.
- John M, Pennsylvania

2020-09-30 2014 Northwood Nash 24M View Listings

Great trailer overall in terms of floor plan for a bunkhouse. Good features such as fully insulated/heated plumbing. Coach and windows are well insulated - slept in several snow storms and hardly knew it with no frozen pipes. Nice gas access w/ the quick connect toward the back. Problem is that Northwood seems to have put bad leaf springs in the suspension system on those manufactured around this time. Had one break had it and its twin on that axle replaced and now the other broke on the other side. The repair people said it was pretty unusual on a trailer of this age and even said that they've seen most trailers go their whole life span w/ out broken springs. I see others post the same problem with their 2014 Nash trailers. On a dual axle, a broken spring is very dangerous as the wheels can contact each other in tow. I called Northwood and they said to contact the company that made the suspension - no response. I posted a bad review on Google and a Northwood rep responded dismissively saying they didn't install "bad" springs and suggesting it must be something I did - overloading the trailer - which I've never done - admitting that they "upgraded" springs for more capacity on later trailers which I get for marketing to new buyers but does nothing for MY trailer and ME! My trailer has been very pampered with very few miles on it and covered in storage most of its life so far. I get that these things require maintenance and can cost quite a bit to do so - but it seems only fair that Northwood should offer some way to make good on this. Not happy right now.
- Andres Martinez, Colorado

2020-09-14 2019 Northwood Nash 24B View Listings

Overall I don't give anything 5 stars EVER! But, with that said this Nash is a very good quality unit with no major issues so far. Just bought the unit from a dealer in PA and drove there from NH. I have owned many campers in my life and lately they are mostly junk, with a few exceptions like Northwood and Outdoors RV. When my wife mentioned that she would consider a camper again and since I sold my 21' Outdoors RV last summer, I told her the only one I would buy in the Northeast was located in PA and was this NASH unit I have had my eye on since the beginning of the year and still available. The dealership did a thorough PDI and all systems worked including valves, USB charging ports, etc. Quality seemed very good throughout the camper with a few imperfections here and there...but really minor. The window shade on top bunk did not work and the wood door on the cabinet by the bathroom door had huge knots that don't look the greatest and may impact the integrity of the door someday. Working with dealer getting these replaced so we shall see. The camper overall is very nice and would not hesitate to buy another Northwood product!!
- Don, New Hampshire

2020-09-07 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

My wife and I decided to downsize last fall from a 33' 5th wheel to this 27' rig. The skylight placement and windows provide more daylight than our last 5th wheel. The galley has lots of room to move around with plenty of cupboard space and a huge pantry. A Solar Panel monitor keeps batteries charged up. The only drawback for us is the closet space; but hey, we decided to downsize and this is the only drawback we have.
- Bob Andrews, Minnesota

2020-09-07 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Outside is faded some due to the AZ sun but there isn’t much rust for being 25years old. Awning is slightly torn where it attaches To the bar and is faded but is fully functional. The inside has been nicely remodeled and can comfortable fit a family of three even though it sleeps up to five. Storage is decent with inside outside access under one of the bench seats. A full length closet next to the fridge, and storage under the loft bed. As well as a continual “U” shaped cabinet around the top. It’s worth taking a look at if your looking for a tiny house, spare bedroom, or office. Would be a good weekender ride.
- Ted, Arizona

2020-09-05 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Beautifully kept for a 25 yr old camper! Very clean, quaint and updated, plus the hitch and truck are a buying options. Worth noting that axels have been switched so that there’s more ground clearance. Good find, awesome deal!
- April , Arizona

2020-08-21 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

Excellent and reliable, suspension is safe and easy to tow, fully insulated as it is a true FOUR SEASONS RV. Upgraded ac keeps RV cool on hottest days, all wood cabinets, plenty of storage, large refrigerator & freezer with stove which all operates on propane or electric.
- James Bullock, Texas

2020-08-04 2019 Northwood Nash 24B View Listings

Purchased a new 2019 24b 6300 dry 8000 loaded. Towed it through local mountains with no issues on first trip. Some minor quality issues arose during first trip. 1.queen bed has storage but the attached strut is not strong enough to hold up the bed to add items.2. Rear bottom bunk strut is also not strong enough to hold up the bed to add storage underneath. 3. Gutter rail on passenger side has gap so when the air conditioning was running the water dropped down the side of the trailer as it didn’t make it to the water spouts on the corner. 5. Great water tank drain valve didn’t work. Gray tank kept draining during the trip. Luckily it was a full hook up site. 6. Entertainment centre was hard to figure out while using the instructions. Still not sure how to switch to DVD from radio. 7. Some of the USB charging ports didn’t work. I think there were some more minor issues but I can’t think of them. Trailer is scheduled for trip back to the dealer to get the issues fixed. I like the layout, the bathroom is large and comfortable with the porcelain toilet. The shower door is retractable and feels flimsy. I’m sure it will break before long. The bunks are hard to get into with small openings. The bottom bunk has no window or ac vent so it gets very stuffy with one person in it during the summer. Even with the minor issues I’m satisfied with this trailer. I keep discovering things that I really like. And it has quite a lot of storage. More than we could fill with a family of four.
- Bob, British Columbia

2020-08-04 2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 25R View Listings

This trailer is amazingly insulated in hot and cold weather. When getting ready to take it out it's parked at my house I want to sleep in it. It's been an amazing get away. If camping in a crowded area this trailer blocks noise. It has an amazing amount of storage and the granite we added adds so much to my vacation home on wheels.
- Ernie, Washington

2020-08-03 2017 Northwood Nash 22H View Listings

The Northwood Nash 22H has been an outstanding value for the money! Quality built and made to travel off the road...great all weather coach with well designed and gracious interiors. Sleeps up to four and can accommodate my wife and her extensive wardrobe in the huge bathroom closet...dressing area. We have both been impressed with our purchase and the service from both the manufacturer and dealer. We would recommend this brand highly.
- L. Cayton, Idaho

2020-08-01 2013 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

Best RV I have ever owned. No problems at all. Excellent floor plan, very high build quality. Wrap around rear windows combined with open floor plan gives a relaxed feel to living in the trailer. Very well insulated against both heat and cold. Hard to beat for a family travel trailer.
- Dan Dieringer, Washington

2020-07-30 2012 Northwood Arctic Fox 992 View Listings

D & D RV Center 2300 East Missoula Ave Helena, Montana 59601 Manager: A year ago, while camping in Montana, we noticed a bearing/nut from underneath our camper slide. It was just lying on the camper floor. Since we had purchased the Artic Fox camper from you – we took pictures of the bearing/nut assembly, sent them to you, and asked for advice. You said you were busy - about 4 weeks out for service - not to use the camper slide and make an appointment for repair. Since we do not live in the area; about 1,000 miles away, we asked about this summer. You said call 4-6 weeks prior to coming out and make an appointment for repair. This past June, I called for an appointment. I could not speak to the Service Manager, Dan, as he was out but to send pictures to D & D with attention to Dan. The appointment was made for July 28 at 8:00 a.m. We were at your business before 8:00 on the 28th, were checked in. At 11:30 I received a text from a service person saying that not only one roller bearing was out but 3 of the 4 were out and what would I like to do. After calling and asking for an estimate of time to fix, I received another text at noon saying I would need to schedule an appointment and the earliest date was August 24. A huge disappointment. This is what we were trying to avoid. The pre-scheduling that we did, the pictures of the problem, and letting you know what to expect was to avoid another diagnosis of the roller bearing problem. It was to get it fixed! You charged me for 2 ½ hours of shop time ($297), as well as wasting our time, to tell me what you originally said – the slide needed to be pulled out to get at the roller bearings. We do not live in the area. We purchased the camper from you because you (Helena) and Billings are the farthest east Artic Fox campers are sold. We are happy with the camper but disappointed in your service. A selling point was made at the time of the purchase of your #1 service. An option of leaving the camper with you – again we live about 1,000 miles away – is not an option. Another option of trying to schedule an appointment for next summer during a camping trip to get the repair done; will not happen either. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We will explore the Billings dealership. Maybe the question I should ask is, “What should I have done differently to make this work?” Maybe the question you should ask is, “What could D & D have done differently to make this work?” Steve Anderson
- Steve Anderson, South Dakota

2020-07-28 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 25Y View Listings

Our first time out with our new rig the shower door completely fell off. The whole bedroom rug flooded. Driving back in PDX traffic the slide out started coming out. When we called they couldn’t take it in for 2 weeks and asked me to pull the carpet out and put some space heaters in to dry the wood. I did that. They took it in and tightened up the pull out and replaced the carpet and said all leaks were fixed. Never told me where it came from but fine. Second time out, what to my surprise I’m sitting at the table and all of a sudden water is coming from underneath all the kitchen cabinets! I just had the pos in to be fixed! So I do some looking and the water lines to the kitchen sink were both leaking! I left a nice little comment on Apache RV in Portland if you’d like to see what I had to say! So I went to a 25y forum only to find out what a POS this model is! Since then so many things have happened it’s unbelievable. Awning lights worked only one time, black tank is all messed up. Had to replace hitch riser, rivets have popped out everywhere, just waiting for a wall to fall in on us. Air, fan and heat have all gone out on us. I had a 35 foot Outback before this and I kick myself every time I think about why I turned it in for this POS. Finally spoke to a man about his 25y and he helped a lot. All he said was “learn to fix everything yourself” saves a lot of stress and heart ache. No more warrantee (which never kicked in) so it saves to fix myself. I don’t know yet what to do about the black tank but I’ll learn! If you are reading this, never buy a Northwood product. All you get from them is angry ol men on the phone!!!
- Martin Bear, Washington

2020-07-27 2016 Northwood Nash 17K View Listings

The windows are hard to open. The wiring is cheap, thin, and so are the connectors. The speaker’s had dented covers. The bathroom’s plastics break easy. I really think that this trailer is extremely overpriced. Will never buy another.
- Edward Adams, Nevada

2020-07-17 2014 Northwood Arctic Fox 27T View Listings

Bought this rear livingroom unit used but in immaculate condition. So comfortable, great for older couple. Changed out stairs for new Solidsteps. Have used several times now for a week or 2 at a time. Pull w/3/4 ton pickup. Table and chairs, no booth. Shifted table around to accommodate XL dog crate and lab dog - no problem. Love it!
- Lynne Cross, Washington

2020-07-15 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 22G View Listings

Purchased the unit new in late 2017. Within 1 1/2 years (just outside the 1 year warranty) the corner jacks failed, the water heater failed, the microwave failed, the shower leaked, the furnace worked sporadically, the range vent failed, the phone bedside phone charger failed, and the heating pad burned a hole in the fresh water tank. Most problems due to faulty wiring at the manufacturer as per the repair technician. The tank heater switches were not labeled and did not illuminate when turned on so there was no way to know if they were on or off, had to have the tech rewire and label. The switches were unprotected in the cabinet so moving objects underway could hit them and turn them on and off randomly, I had to make my own cover. I called Northwood about this, the CSR said "WHEN YOU TURN THEM ON, YOU"LL KNOW THEY'RE ON!!!" Brilliant. That and that the 1 year warranty had expired. I would NEVER buy from Northwood again, shoddy manufacturing and they do not stand by their product.
- Gary Wood, Michigan

2020-06-17 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath View Listings

We love our 1140. Previously owned a Northwood product so we knew the quality. Looked at Host and Lance but the construction and fit, finish didn't compare. Specifically wanted a dry bath, we are in our unit 6 months of the year. Quality construction equals alot of weight, dually only. Only knock is dinette, can't somebody come up with a comfortable seating arrangement?
- Rory Cox, Washington

2020-06-14 2018 Northwood Nash 23D View Listings

DISLIKES: Bought this in 2018 from Nelson's RV in Boise (now Camping World). Had 1 previous owner for 3 months who traded up to something bigger (or so they said). Looked good on the lot, but very disappointing. Badly made cabinetry came apart within 2 trips, poorly finished outside seams (looks like it has been worked on before for leaks). Gauges have never worked properly. Bed too short for anyone over 5'9". Very dark in the kitchen area. Two underpowered Centennial 75Ah batteries that barely last 2 days while boondocking. Wiring harness shoddily made and assembled, looks like a fire waiting to happen. For this price, expected more from a Nash, which is supposed to be a better quality rig than most. Likes: floorplan, Onan 3600 generator, kitchen layout & counterspace.
- Laurence Parsons, Idaho

2020-06-05 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 28-5C View Listings

Traded in our 2016 27-5L for the newer, larger 28-5C, and have been very happy with the decision. Appreciating the quality build of the first Arctic Fox, we decided to stay with Northwoods Manufacturing. We are fulltime Rvers, and the larger 28-5C is proving to be perfect for us. It has the same bath and bedroom as the smaller 27-5L, with the increase in size devoted to the living area. The galley kitchen, with island, large pantry and coffee bar area is very user friendly. The couch faces the TV (why does it not in SO many rvs??)...and the bench seating and table gives the two of us ample room for our laptops, phones, coffee cups, etc. The added fireplace is great for quick heating on chilly mornings, or for ambience in the evening. We have had one major issue, with the living room slide, and the factory was instrumental in getting it repaired quickly. They were on the phone with our local repair shop, and the problem was resolved quickly and easily. We paid the bill and received a check from Northwoods (it was under warranty) for reimbursement within a week or so. No complaint there! I would have really liked central vac, but it is no longer an option. All in all, we are more than happy with our Arctic Fox and will remain a devoted customer.
- Kevin Pelletier, New York

2020-05-31 2019 Northwood Nash 29S View Listings

I’m a huge fan of the Nash 29S layout and insulated qualities, but, I’m quite disappointed by the Q/A on this trailer out of the factory. Recently bought this trailer brand new and experienced the following issues from pickup: Fridge door wouldn’t lock shut (Fixed at dealer) Main Screen door doesn’t shut (fixable, but annoying) Bathroom door didn’t shut properly (wouldn’t latch) (Fix at dealer) Microwave has a short and doesn’t turn off after using - if you touch the door, it will just turn on. Sawdust everywhere Solar Panel came off the mount on the initial drive home from the deal - the entire mount sheered off and the panel was hanging by just the cable The fuse for the command center was put in crooked and blown our first night out (resulting in a trip into town for new fuse) One of the USB ports has intermittent power - just keeps going in and out Wallpaper peeling in a couple locations - not the end of the world, but it’s a brand new trailer Black tank indicator doesn’t work at all (just says empty, even after 3 days of camping in it) Overall, I’m pretty disappointed that a trailer leaves the factory like this. Perhaps all these things happened during transit, perhaps the dealer needed to do a better PDI... I’ve always been told Nash’s quality is top notch, but I’m really second guessing that right now. Hopefully all issues get resolved swiftly by the dealer, but kind of a pain when they are 2 hours away.
- Jamie , Alberta