Safari Reviews on RV Insider (33)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Safari RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Bob Bradshaw from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 1998 Safari Trek 2830 View Listings

We found this unit to be very livable. At one time we belonged to a TREK group and about half of them were full timing in TREK's The short wheel base made it very easy to drive and park. Being the low end of a high end manufacturer it has a lot of bells and whistles that you would not expect in a unit of this size. The 454 engine was great on gas mileage (10 mpg at 50 mph towing) If you have a heavy foot you will not do this well. The kitchen and bath are both bigger and better than most RV's that are a lot bigger. We had this unit from Fairbanks to Key West and Mexico to Maine and enjoyed every mile.
- Bob Bradshaw, Florida

2020-04-23 2001 Safari Panther 455 View Listings

This motorhome drives excellent pools great has all the power you would ever need looks good two slides only thing wrong with it is the clear coat is peeling it has one brand new air conditioning the other one works fine two brand new front tires the rear tires aren't very old aluminum Alcoa rims four door refrigerator freezer brand new microwave oven
- Chuck Sullivan, Arizona

2020-02-23 2000 Safari Zanzibar 3896 View Listings

I've been looking for a safari motorhome for awhile and as I was planning a trip to the west coast to pick one up and drive one back I found one 70 miles from me. For some reason I like aluminum sidewalls. I contacted the dealership thay had nothing good to say other than hand it was a diesel pusher for a good Price. It is 18k nada in good condition is 21500 so it's worth taking a look at. So I've done alot of research in the past years I don't need alot of help. I got a slow day at work and decided to go take a look in my work clothes and work truck. Pulled up got zero help keys are in it go check it out. Checked it out found old maintenance records. Was told the interior was warn, I'm good with interiors no big deal. Warn is an understatement. Water damage on and around the slideout by the shower and front door, refrigerator was closed when wet and smelled like death. I can overlook this I know how to fix this. I didn't like the response I got from showing up in my work truck so I decided to drive it again. Showed up the gentleman I was talking to on the phone said he was going to lunch and walked away, still a good deal the owner said he would go for a test drive with me. Motorhome ran great, went back to the dealership was immediately asked what I was doing. I told him I would give him his asking price and appropriate taxes and filling fees, but sense thay had no clue when the oil was last changed I asked them to change the oil. Thay have a repair shop should be no big deal I got a no deal please turn the key off. In my opinion I was not worth their time. I would not deal with this dealership ever.
- Mike jones, Michigan

2020-02-21 2005 Safari Gazelle 38PDQ View Listings

The 2005 Safari was built by Monaco Coach. The Gazelle model was a high end model and was built on the Roadmaster Chassis which was designed and built by Monaco. The major difference between this unit and the Monaco is that the Gazelle has the Cat C9 400 hp engine and the Monaco had the Cummins 400 hp engine. The fit and finish on this unit is not as fine as the Bluebird or Newell but is perfectly adequate. The floor plan and facilities are designed for living aboard rather than weekend living and glitz. It has adequate bay storage and lots of inside cabinet storage.
- George Fox, Oregon

2019-12-25 1996 Safari Serengeti S39 View Listings

Please please please read this before looking or thinking about this Serengeti coach for sale!!!! I drove 15 hrs to basically buy this coach after a 4k deposit and many conversations w the owner re condition. The unit is a complete bust and anyone considering this Serengeti need not pay any attention to the owners erroneous depiction. She lied and misled me through the ad and in her own words. Its got many areas on the body that have been impacted as well as a complete indent of the whole rear end. No accidents or damage she claims!!! Absolutely not true!! And then you enter the supposed "well maintained" interior. Again...a complete fabrication of truth. The ceiling is shot in all bedroom from major water damage/leaks.Many other areas of water leaks as well. Cabinetry is rough and off hinges. Wood flooring is completely shot. Carpet as well. Furniture is unusable. The unit is dirty, unkept, and a real turn off. Essentially I drove 15 hours... spent 10 minutes, and left to drive 15hrs back. On top of it all...she will not return one dollar of my deposit... eventually threatening me w harrasment if I called her again in a plea to return something. Please please please...anyone interested in this coach... don't waste your time.
- Douglas, Florida

2019-12-20 2003 Safari Zanzibar 3922 View Listings

we love this selling to health 37000 mi new tires new washer dryer never used 2 slides delamination both sides bent baggage door price reduced because of damage new tv in living room dual roof air all appliances work located in Wisconsin 60 miles north of Madison
- ed, Newfoundland and Labrador

2019-07-21 2005 Safari Cheetah 36PDD View Listings

I've owned a safari for over a year know drive and handles nice hi quality coach with lots of comfert teachers like dual air 4 season living lots of storage out side slide try for genarter awning cover over windows powered by 350 cat climbs right up that moution about 9 miles to a gallon at 60 mph road master chassis 4 bag. And turns good for a 36 ft couch over all Lisa good one
- Rick, Missouri

2019-06-28 2001 Safari Zanzibar 3922 View Listings

I love this coach. So comfortable and spacious. Well built of great quality. Mine has beautiful and unique colors and has a warmth and calmness when on it. Drives and works great with durability and reliability. Nice useful ammenities. Mine is old and warranty questions don't apply but there is a great owners club for them.
- Mike Fulp, California

2019-06-11 2004 Safari Trek 28RB2 View Listings

This is a great motorhome, easy to drive an maneuver in tight places. Can park almost anywhere.it is very comfortable with a great floorplan. Very large bathroom area with full size walk-in shower. Very well built and a lot of power.
- Craig, Missouri

2019-01-19 2003 Safari Cheetah 36SKT View Listings

Have enjoyed the RV EXPERIENCES immensely! Traveled, Work-camped and met lots of interesting and fun people. Like any other vehicle, maintenance and upkeep varied by year and issue as the coach was used and aged. Most issues were corrected quickly and I'm glad I had the GoodSam Extended Warranty program. Gave me piece of mind. Coach was very comfortable and livable, design, glass and mirrors gave the feel of much more space and brought the outdoors in. Finishes, cabinetry and comfortable furniture added to the enjoyment factor; not fancy but very pleasant!! Improvements included, flat screen TV, satellite dish, high-boy toilet and recliner after removal of small and uncomfortable couch. Queen size bed mattress and cover was extremely comfortable, especially for a large person. I will miss having the coach but my age has caught up with me!!
- Steve Nelson , Florida

2019-01-06 2003 Safari Cheetah 36SKT View Listings

Bought this Unit brandnew and paid Cash for it in 2016 have owned it for only 2 1/2 yrs. It's the right size for a Couple, has all the amenities, Comfort & latest state of the art technology. We have used it only a few times in the Fall & Winter the last 2 yrs and were overall quite pleased and were planning to keep it for a long time, since we always take care of anything we own and they always look new.Yesterday the Unit caught on Fire & burned sitting on our property and it's a major LOSS to us. Fire started upfront by the Bed seems like electrical, faulty wiring from what the Fire Dept. mentioned to us it burned every out all the way back to the bathroom, we are Very Upset & Disappointed! We regret ever having invested in this & seeing it going into Smoke. After doing some research I realized how many of these RV/Trailers by several Manufactors have caught on Fire just in the last couple of years, reason for me writing this Review is to make the Public aware to do their Research prior to purchasing & investing in these Vehicles. We are thankful we were not hurt. I have put in our Claim to our Ins Company, but know I will have to put up a Fight to get our Money, since I am aware we will not get what we purchased it for 2 1/2 yrs ago, so it's really a Bad Investment & a Loss to us.
- Vivienne, Florida

2018-12-12 2007 Safari Simba 38SDD View Listings

Great floor plan. Very few items that needed repair over a 10 year span. Great fuel mileage. Can still get parts through Monaco - REV group. Though out of warranty manufacturer did make all needed warranty repairs when coach was new.
- Spiros Karidis, Oregon

2018-10-28 1999 Safari Zanzibar 3876 View Listings

This RV has alot of storage space in it. The cabinets are great quality and you are able to store lots of things. The shower has a lot of room along with a bath tub. You have nice shower pressure. You can walk around the bed and do not have to crawl to get into bed. Great for the first time Rver
- Amy Acup, Texas

2018-10-17 1999 Safari Zanzibar 3876 View Listings

This RV is spacious and has alot of storage space for you to downsize your household. Great way to save money for ypur future. Nice shower pressure and spacious. Nice queen size bed with alot of storage space for your clothes.
- Amy, Texas

2018-08-01 1997 Safari Serengeti 4050 View Listings

Exceptional tiny home feel with ability to drive it anywhere roads are good. BF Goodrich Velvet Ride makes driving easy and comfortable. Pass through floor plan prevents trapping in the bathroom area. Master bed very easy to walk around. Non-smoking, no pets, upgraded interior floors & galley. Cedar lined closets. Upgraded electronics. Low miles & only one prior owner.
- Robert Claman, Nevada

2018-08-01 1997 Safari Serengeti 4050 View Listings

Very easy to drive & back up. Performs like a commercial bus being very stable and quiet on good roads. Excellent braking. A breeze to hook up when docked. The two rooftop A/C units and onboard heater make living in any climate very enjoyable. The galley dishwasher makes meal clean up a dream. The Master bed queen sized Tempurpedic Mattress provides a superior nights sleep. The super efficient floor plan makes life aboard really happy. All bugs have been works out of this rig and would highly recommend it to any couple wishing to use it to enjoy coast to coast travel or settle somewhere and use it as a tiny home. When stepping aboard our rig it feels like a land yacht or an exceptional tiny home on wheels.
- Robert Claman, Nevada

2018-07-14 2000 Safari Panther 4006 View Listings

Owning this rig has been a joy. The quality of materials and the craftsmanship put into it shows why this high end rig has endured the test of time. The Magnum chassis design by Safari land it's 8 air bag suspension makes highway driving of this rig a breeze. The Cat C-12 engine with 425hp and over 1500# of torque allows you to accelerate quickly, pull a load over the Rockies, and not even struggle. I've averaged 9gpm and up to 12gph on the flat with a tailwind. It has been a good choice for us.
- Mary Ann, Washington

2018-03-07 2001 Safari Serengeti 3706 View Listings

We were first time buyers , when we got the safari. We love the diesel in the back... It made for a quiet ride down the road.. Love the cummins for lots of power , and there are many dealers that carry safari parts. We have done most repairs ourselves.
- leslie davis, Arizona

2018-03-07 2001 Safari Serengeti 3706 View Listings

WE WERE FIRST TIME BUYERS , WHEN WE GOT THE SAFARI. WE LOVE THE DIESEL IN THE BACK...IT MADE FOR A QUIET RIDE DOWN THE ROAD..LOVE THE CUMMINS FOR LOTS OF POWER , AND THERE ARE MANY DEALERS THAT CARRY SAFARI PARTS. WE HAVE DONE MOST REPAIRS OURSELVES.
- leslie davis, Arizona

2018-03-06 2003 Safari Cheetah 3742 View Listings

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our 2003 Cheetah. But I came across an odd issue. The head lights are terrible. The lights are part of a light pod that include the turning lights from a Chev.Blazer. When installed on a Blazer they wrap around the corner, more than the Cheetah. So this creates a severe case of cross eyes when mounted flat on the Cheetah. In order to have the lights point straight ahead the inside lip of the pod would need to be brought out 3". Obviously not practical. As a solution I was able to find a rectangular truck light that I built flush in the fiberglass beside the originals. Works a lot better. Monaco were not aware or had any complaints...... oddly enough?
- Dev, Alberta

2017-07-12 2000 Safari Trek 2430 View Listings

The Safari TREK 2430 isn't for everyone as the heart of the coach is the electric queen size bed that lowers down from the ceiling at night when you need it. This feature allows the model 2430 to be only 25' long, yet offer the living space of a 36' motorhome. How? By not dragging around a bedroom off the back of the coach! At night, the entire main salon becomes the bedroom once privacy shades are drawn. The coach offers a huge kitchen with a 6' countertop, a large bathroom with tub/shower, big closets, and a large salon with sleeper sofa, chairs and a occasional table. There is even a nice dining table for two opposite the kitchen. The quality of the build is excellent as the TREK was built on the same line as the big Safari diesel pushers with the same quality components, solid Alder hardwood cabinets, one piece fiberglass roof, aircraft aluminum skin, Diamont full-body paint (think Mercedez Benz), all on the Chevy Workhorse medium duty chassis with a 14800 pound GVW powered by a 7.3L Vortec V8 fuel injected engine. The chassis has a 5500 pound receiver for towing. Like my Daddy taught me, every dog has it's fleas, and the TREK is no exception. The short wheelbase of the coach means that it is very reactive to the wheel and the driver must learn to relax at the wheel and not oversteer lest you zig zag your way down the road. Also, the spring suspension can be a bit bouncy on a rough road or going over a speed bump.But the biggest complaint especially from older TREK owners is that someone is crawling over their partner at night to get out of the bed to use the potty. Also, if you have a guest on the sleeper sofa, they are right under the main bed similar to bunk beds. Having said all that, if you can accept these inconveniences the TREK is an amazing coach. It is short, easy to drive, easy to park, can go into ANY National or State campground, is built with quality and smart engineering. It is a joy to spend time in and perfect for a couple with their furry companion. Full Disclosure: Not only am I a current TREK Owner, I was also the Factory Rep. for three years for the TREK way back in 96'-99'. I have no affiliation now. My comments and observations are my own, but also based on literally hundreds of conversations at shows and rallies talking to RV owners. Bottomline: The TREK is a great RV with a legendary following. If you can find one that has been loved over the years and well maintained, buy it. You won't be disappointed!
- Joe Bruzda, Washington

2017-06-14 2000 Safari Trek 2430 View Listings

Trek folks like quality and convenience. The efficiency of space gives better handling and an open feel in a small coach. The owners bond together when they see other like no other R.V. group, including antique bus collectors. Bus folks might just wave and honk, Trek folks will follow you to the next rest stop. They are not for everybody or all situations, but I've known some full timers. Builder out of business but I had to rate the warranty anyway.
- dick hodge, Colorado

2017-06-05 2004 Safari Trek 29RBD View Listings

Excellent drive length,good storage compartments,liked the queen bed storage up in the ceiling which made the safari really unique feature. The open space in the kitchen with the bright daylight shining in. The surround sound of music,the electric windshield shades when driving in sunlight is a excellent plus for the long drives. The workhorse chassis gives the unit a very stable ride, hard to find a dislike about the Safari after owning other units. Thanks
- Tim Gillespie, Minnesota

2017-05-29 2001 Safari Cheetah 3796 View Listings

We lived and traveled full time in our Safari Cheetah motor home from June 2002 to November 2016. What we liked best about it was its livability,so roomy with its 2 slideouts, and very well planned cabinetry and floor layout. We did make numerous upgrades to make it even more comfortable. And we love the powerful CAT 300 HP engine that has no difficulty towing up mountain highways and roads. Going down, the PAC brake provided added security to Brake Buddy. We also liked that even with the slideouts fully in, only one small kitchen pantry cabinet was not reachable, but everything else remained accessible. What we liked least about it was that before we had a good stabilization system installed, the "velvet ride" wasn't quite as smooth as we liked. However, after we had work done on it, it is as solid a ride as you could wish for. It's a shame that Safari went out of business. We highly recommend this coach for either full timing, part timing, or shorter trips, for traveling in comfort and style.
- Tanja Wood, New Mexico

2017-01-05 2000 Safari Zanzibar 3837 View Listings

Livability was OUTSTANDING for us after we added the custom cabinets and Flex steel seats and bed. The quality of cabinets and fit and finish was OUTSTANDING as well. Floor plan was ideal for our lifestyle and the privacy provided with the center bath plan plus the 3 leaf table was also OUTSTANDING for the years of our ownership. It was the perfect fit for our family. The coach drove and towed like a dream. Plenty of power to tow anything from our Honda Civic to a Chrysler Town & Country minion to a full size Jeep Grand Cherokee. Support from Safari and Monaco was always OUTSTANDING.
- RONALD MARLOW, Arizona