Winnebago Journey DL Reviews on RV Insider (6)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Winnebago Journey DL RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Don R Weaver from North Carolina says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36LD View Listings

Bought used 1 year ago. Been north to Canada and south to Florida twice. Trouble free. Drives great! Biggest complaint: not near enough ventilation in bedroom. needs more windows that open in bedroom! Very pleased-would buy another Winnebago in a heartbeat! It now has about 50k miles on it.
- Don R Weaver, North Carolina

2020-03-06 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD View Listings

My wife and I sold our home and decided to live full time in a motorhome. We looked at most brands and fell in love with the Winnebago Journey. The floor plan was perfect and the quality was top notch. I was a maintenance mechanic for a major chemical plant for 28 years so I really inspected the mechanical parts of the motorhome. I was very impressed with how heavy duty everything was built. We have been living in it for three years now and the motorhome has been great! I have found that the worst thing you can do when owning one of these Journey's is to let it sit and not be driven. The only time we stayed in one spot for several months. I did not use any fuel stabiliser and algae grew in the diesel fuel and clogged up the fuel filter. Thankfully I had stored extra filters on board and spending 20 minutes replacing it we were riding strong again. That was not a quality issue however with the Winnebago, this was my fault. The motorhome is built on a custom Freightliner chassis and a very strong Caterpillar Diesel engine that will last for many hundred thousand miles. When I first bought it I thought that it was going to be hard to drive. I was wrong about that for sure. I found out that it was easy to drive and very safe with having ABS and the engine brake. Even pulling a car dolly with a 2005 Ford Five Hundred ( which is a four door full size car) was a breeze. I feel very confident behind the wheel, even at 80 miles an hour. It handles great! Winnebago really hit a home run with this motorhome. One thing that you realize when driving the Journey is how quiet it is at highway speeds. It has no rattles or vibrations and rides so smooth. It reminds me of when I would ride in my fathers 1974 Ford Grand Torino Elite. Like riding on a cloud of air. Honestly there is not one thing that I can think of that Winnebago could have improved on with this motorhome. There are some class A builders out there that do make a beautiful motorhome. However now when I look at them and living in a quality built Winnebago, I can see how cheaply they are built. In the future if I ever buy another motorhome, it will be a Winnebago Journey.
- Chad Hosmer, South Carolina

2019-09-13 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36LD View Listings

I have had two other Winnebago Journey pushers previously. There are obvious benefits of a diesel over a gas engine; quiet driver position, reliability, durability and ease of service. The Journey coaches have considerable value compared to other motor homes we looked at previously. Driving is less tiring since big trucks don’t blow you around like gas engine rigs. The Journey shares the Winnebago central heat and air just like your home, so there is nothing sitting on your roof. I also appreciate having the outside storage compartments move with the slide outs. Some motor homes have fixed storage units that are very hard to reach with the slide outs extended. All of my Journeys have had a central control panel for easy access. The only real complaint I have had is that none of my Winnebago Journeys have come with central vac system. I broke down and installed a good one on this coach which is very convenient. I also have found it handy to have an air compressor on board. If you need to add air to a tire or blow up flotation devices and beach gear, you don’t have to remember to load one in the coach before a trip. I have traveled in RVs for over 30 years and will miss the experience. But time catches up with you and forces you to change your lifestyle. We have great memories as do our children. I’m glad we got into motor homing when we did. It is our wish that someone will get the same enjoyment with this coach as we did.
- Robert Hill, Tennessee

2019-01-08 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD View Listings

We have loved this RV and have actually considered selling our home and living in it, fulltime. Our grown children didn't like that idea - and we also wondered how celebrating the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) would be with families. Because we have two homes, (second marriage) we decided that we didn't need a 3rd! This "home" has brought much joy, to us.....and we hope it will to you, also!!
- Milan (Mike) Bellile, Mississippi

2017-07-17 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 34H View Listings

We have had a great time in our RV's. This would be an excellent coach for people wanting to get started RVing or moving up to a larger diesel pusher. The engine has been well cared for and being a diesel it is just getting "broken in". A new queen mattress and a delux sofa bed sleeps four adults comfortably. The dinnette also converts to a bed and is for smaller people. Convection oven microwave and gas burners with 2 pantries and storage, cooking is easy. The fridge and freezer are small and the ice maker does well.
- F. E. , Washington

2016-05-01 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD View Listings

We are the first owners of this rig and it was our first Class A Diesel. It is a dream to drive and we haul our 2014 Ford Edge without any problems whatsoever. We are snowbirds and every year around Halloween we take off for Yuma, AZ stopping at Las Vegas, Lake Havasu and Parker, AZ along the way. We have done this for 13 years and basically we have seen it all. We would not hesitate to climb in again and take off but we are going to pursue timeshares and they don't accept RV parking. Summers are spent in the Northwest. I'm 6'3" and the full 60" x 80" bed is a must for me. the flat floor living room extension gives us plenty of space and the computer desk/table gives me plenty of work space.
- Steve Baker, Washington