Winnebago Class A - Diesel

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Winnebago Class A - Diesel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ed Soniat from Georgia says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2013 Winnebago Journey 36M View Listings

Bought this used about 6 months ago. Been out about 6 times, probably spent 5 weeks in it so far in total and driving about 2000 miles some back roads. Getting 9.5 MPG. Very comfortable to drive, just finished Naples to ATL 630 miles in one day. Much better than doing it in a car. I think the coach is a good value. It is built well and I think the Chassis is a good quality chassis. The house is solidly built. They tried hard to put in quality appliances and features. The kitchen is very workable and the residential fridge is an amazing convenience. There is no pantry but there is plenty of storage within easy reach to serve as a pantry. The hood vent actually exhausted the air not just blow it back out the top. The washer and dryer work well and we find them very convenient. The washer is very quite and uses very little water, but it is not on the inverter. The full wall slide really opens up the coach bay making the hall at the bath nice and roomy. The Maxum chassis provides a basement that gives this coach the storage of a regular 40 but with better access. Storage inside is equally impressive It also has a true 10000 lb towing capacity. Some coaches require you to reduce your payload to tow a full 10K, this one does not. It comes with a whopping 660 amp hours consisting of 6 AGM batteries, no cutting corners there. No maintenance easy to own, expensive to replace but LiFEPo4 will probably be available by the time these wear out. It has a neat power management system that used the massive 2800 watt inverter to make being on 30 amp or even on 15 amp much more workable. It also comes with an automatic A/C source switch to switch from grid or generator power that includes good surge protection. We prefer the sliding windows that open very wide to the new "frameless" that only flip out on the 2014 and later coaches. The lighting is pretty amazing on the inside. Lights everywhere. The two exhaust fans can really move the air. My wife loves the MCD shades. The roof is very cleaning organized and I was able to install 12 big solar panels for a whopping 1200 watts of solar to charge all those batteries. Now for the nits and they really don't detract from much from our pleasure in owning it. It does not come with good battery monitoring, and you will want to upgrade your inverter remote, they put in the cheapest one. We have the digital comfort rest mattress which is a full queen, but we don't find it all that good. Probably will get a 3" memory foam topper. The kitchen sink is set a little deep to be used from straight on but ok from the corner. The dryer is pretty noisy but it works quite well. I would like another cup holder for the driver. The IPOD interface on the dash is junk, they should have just provided a cable. It also doesn't have a 1/4 headphone jack for input, it does have USB. We are not big TV watchers and that is good because none of the TV's are easy to view except the lounge from the dinette and only for two people. You really can not use the bedroom without the closet slide out. I think the passenger side basement doors are way to big, they. Should have made the water tank door separate. They really catch the wind and swing way out. The A/Cs are zoned but they both use the same duct work so you can't really cool just the back or the front with out closing the vents (easy) and blocking the returns (hard). This may be common in many coaches. The outlet we use the most ( for our laptops) at the dinette is not on the inverter, this should be easy to fix. The bed room door, which we never use anyway, is hard to use.
- Ed Soniat, Georgia

2021-05-24 2010 Winnebago Via 25R View Listings

I had trouble with the slide out room since I first got it in 2010. I tried to file a lemon law, but my lawyer said I could not. I had the back motor replaced five years ago; and this past year, the front motor needed to be replaced. Winnebago does not make this motor anymore. My mechanic fixed the motor, but the gear pack and timing, etc would not allow me to extend the slide (unless I go to the default and have help pushing it out). So, at this time, I am camping with the slide room permanently in, which means that I cannot bring down the loft above the driver's seat. I can open my refrigerator to a 45 degree angle. Fortunately I replaced my fridge with one with a separate freezer; otherwise, I would not be able to use the freezer. I am planning to trade it in at the end of this year; and will have to take a major loss on account of the slide room issue. I am desperately trying to find the parts at RV graveyards. My Mercedes engine and Dodge Sprinter chassis run "like butter". I have kept everything sparkling clean. I have stored the original carpet for the purpose of re-selling it; however, since the slide room won't extend, the carpet is useless. I have loved this floorpan (VIA 25R) because the bed was over the wheel base, and there was only one TV. So perfect when I took my grandchildren camping. But apparently, the VIA was discontinued on account of the problems with the slide out mechanism. Why did they not recall the motorhome when they knew it had a problem? I have a record of all of the times I have had the slide out room "fixed". Another problem is the location of the battery. The first time I took it on a trip, it wound up in the shop in the Dodge dealer in Orlando for two weeks. They thought it was a computer problem, but they discovered that some metal was touching the battery. I had to rent a car and drive 500 miles back home. In the meantime, someone broke in to it, stole my bicycle and tried to take the TV. It was a nightmare. This was the same trip that the slide out room would not go in. My mechanic said he could fix it with any gear pack from a class C Winnebago. Still looking and still hoping, and still planning to trade it in by the end of this year.
- Ava Rich, Florida

2021-05-24 2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y View Listings

Winnebago Journey is a well made Diesel Pusher with high quality seating and excellent fit and finish. Cabinetry is well made and has held up very well in our 10 year coach. This coach handles well on mountain roads and the comfort is excellent.
- bonnie, Florida

2021-05-03 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T View Listings

When we purchased the Forza we drove from Tampa through Atlanta to get home. Had to stop on I75 6 times to close the bay doors. My husband came very close to being hit by a tractor trailer. All latches were replaced, but the problem persisted. We opened a ticket with highway safety, but nothing was done. Rather than continue to risk our safety and those around us we took a $100k hit and traded after a year of close encounters.
- Carolyn Stoner, Georgia

2021-04-27 2015 Winnebago Via 25P View Listings

The best motorhome for your travel anywhere in the country. Perfect size to visit national parks. This motorhome has everything you need for a comfortable getaway any time of the year. Easy to park and awesome visibility during driving.
- Dmitriy Franchuk, California

2021-04-22 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36LD View Listings

This is a great solid RV with a fiberglass roof Freightliner chassis caterpillar diesel Turbo engine with a great tow package 10,000 pound floor heating ceiling air conditioning all leather furniture with hardwood floors surroundsound stereo stainless steel microwave kitchen full-size refrigerator queen size bed oversize shower bathroom extra large size dining room
- MICHAEL PESOLA, Illinois

2021-04-13 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD View Listings

This RV has been excellant from the very beginning. Especially in comparison to other rather reputable names in the RV industry; the problems (in any RV) were very small. I belonged to an RV club and after I purchased the DL; two members also switched. Ease of handling; comfort when camping and especially in pulling (not towing) my Toyota 4rnr. Winnebago is the ONLY way to go.
- James V Wirrie, North Carolina

2021-04-13 2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q View Listings

Piece of junk! Falling apart! Never had so many problems. Winnebago is stopping production on this RV. Advice: Get a lawyer and sue. Lemon laws prevent this from happening and can help protect you!
- Mark weisbarth, Florida

2021-03-26 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD View Listings

This RV is in excellent condition and is loaded with to many extras to mention must see to appreciate. From the minute. Your step inside to all the compartmens all around the whole rv. This is difinetly a prize package on wheels.
- Byron, Iowa

2021-03-06 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 38KD View Listings

Bought in 2016. In the first year of 5 years of full timing we had to replace all jacks, windshield (mysterious cracks),fridge, vent fans, dump valves(huge problem-they were really buried), all cargo door gas springs, all plastic parts on drawer hardware, inverter/charger, washer/dryer, kitchen faucets,
- Chuck koontz, Pennsylvania

2021-03-06 2008 Winnebago Ellipse 40TD View Listings

Lived in several motorhomes from class b to 34' class a Worked in engineering and traveled through USA in all weather staying at campgrounds. Nothing ever came close to the comfort of my itasca epilse 34d
- Ted neumann, Colorado

2021-03-01 2006 Winnebago Journey 39K View Listings

Coach handles great on two lanes or open road. While on cruise control, vehicle glides down the road. Plenty of torque. Even though the Coach is 40', it easy to maneuver in tight spots. Controls are easy to access. Plenty of open living space.
- Steve Dowling, Oklahoma

2021-02-23 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

We loved our RV, really enjoyed the separate bedroom and the spaciousness of the central living area. Kitchen has plenty of cabinets and countertops. Plenty of under coach storage to not clutter up the coach. Highly dependable coach.
- Donna Pemberton, California

2021-02-21 2011 Winnebago Journey 40U View Listings

This is a wonderful comfortable riding coach. We've had many family trips in it. It is very comfortable in all weather. Having a full laundry on board is very helpful have even done wash driving down the road. I like the fact we can use it on electric only and have all the luxuries of home or you could pick propane.
- georgestarksells, Florida

2021-02-16 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD View Listings

THIS WINNEBAGO TOUR MODEL IS 5 STAR IN ALL ASPECTS. TRAVELS LIKE RIDING ON A CLOUD, EASY STEERING WITH UNIQUE FRONT SUSPENSION. NO ARM OR NECK FATIGUE! COMFORTABLE SEAT AND DRIVER INTERFACE WITH ALL CONTROLS. THE SLIDE OPEN FLOOR PLAN ALLOWS GREAT LIVING SPACE AND COMFORT. THREE ROOF AC/HEAT IS COMFORTABLE WHEN OUTSIDE TEMPS ARE ABOVE 37 DEGREES. USE AQUA HOT HEATER IN COLD WEATHER OR TO TAKE THE CHILL OFF IN TOTAL QUIETNESS. THE AIR NUMBER BED IS VERY COMFORATBLE. TOWING MY FORD FOCUS WITH SUCH EASE THAT NEED TO LOOK INTO REARVIEW CAMERA TO SEE IF IT IS THERE. GREAT POWER FOR HILL CLIMBS WITH THE 450hp CUMMINS DIESEL. I HAVE OWNED 4 RV'S AND THIS ONE IS CLEARLY THE BEST OVERALL AND FOR QUALITY PLUS PERFORMANCE AND MUCH LESS MAINTENANCE.QUALITY, DURABILITY AND RELIABILITY IS ALL THE BEST THERE IS.
- donaldvonk, Michigan

2021-02-08 2017 Winnebago Journey 40J View Listings

I found this RV easy to learn to drive. Have never driven anything this large, but after a four hour lesson and then a few hour of practice time in an empty parking lot, I was good to go. We made two 6000 mile trips and one 4000 mile trip this past year. Comfortable captains chairs for driving an electronic package. Bed has sleep number technology for both sides in master bedroom and sleeps four
- Dave McFarlane, Florida

2021-01-27 2000 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

This is a very easy RV to use and live with. It has great storage capacity and the interior space is totally livable with the single slide in. We have looked at a number of newer RV's that are essentially unusable with the slides in the closed position. This unit is perfectly livable with the slide in and very spacious with the slide out. The only real complaint that I have with the unit is the fact that it could really use another 100 horsepower. Once you get it rolling it's OK, but you have to be patient and in hilly areas you have to plan ahead and use the shifter to keep the engine in the power band.
- Neal Dion, Florida

2021-01-05 2007 Winnebago Tour 40FD View Listings

The Winn Tour has been dependable and enjoyable. The diesel engine is great at towing. The inside furnishings have remained in good condition. The A/C is still working good after all these years. Never had any problem with the engine and other components of the chassis.
- Jeff Derby, Georgia

2020-11-27 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z View Listings

We have enjoyed this rv for comfort, dependable, layout, options,everything about the rv has been exellent. Would buy this brand again, in fact this is our 2nd class a diesel from this builder. Winnebago makes a very good reasonable RV.
- Chris Bradshaw, Virginia

2020-10-21 2004 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

We are the original owners an have enjoyed this RV a great deal through the years along with our son. It has been miraculously maintained. We have all service records. It it in great shape both inside and out.
- Dana Smith, Georgia

2020-10-04 2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q View Listings

One would think in buying a brand new RV, less issues. Well not the case. Out of all the trailers, 5th wheels I’ve owned, I have never had this many issues. If you don’t know how to work on an RV do not purchase this one.
- Teresa Dodson, Texas

2020-09-16 2007 Winnebago Vectra 40TD View Listings

This has been the best RV motorhome that I have ever owned. It is one of the most spacious 40 feet motorhomes on the market. The MH has two very large slide outs. It has also had several upgrades (LED lighting (inside and out), satellite dish, TVs, etc.). Incredible amount of storage. It is also fun to drive. A lot of power in the 400 HP diesel engine and the fuel milage is pretty good (avg. 7 mpg). For a full-timer this is the vehicle to have.
- Anthony DuBose, New Mexico

2020-09-01 2015 Winnebago Ellipse 42QD View Listings

This unit is great to drive, easy to handle and park. Handle great on windy days. Easy to set up utilities when parking. Satellite dish is Directv and will handle the whole house system. Love this coach
- Allen Rodrigue, Florida

2020-08-31 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T View Listings

Love the RV with reservations. Have not been able use it because the Power Management System (AKA) Firefly G7 is down for days at a time. Leaving us dead. Nothing works at all. La Masa Sanford Fl. is unable to figure out a solution. Winnebago and Firefly also can not figure out a solution. We would love to know if anyone can assist ASAP. We had just begun our seven week journey through the Western National Parks. We got as far as Georgia.
- Lee Collier, Florida

2020-08-24 2016 Winnebago Meridian 40R View Listings

We purchased the RV prior to retiring. We used it on short trips while still working. Once we retired we wintered in Florida and lived in it full time. In the summer we toured the country and always ended up near Reno Nevada to spend the rest of the summer with our 4 grandchildren and daughter. The coach is absolutely easier to drive and maneuver than a car. The ride is like floating on air, steering turning radious exceptional. We chose to pull an open car trailer purchased new and included in the sale. Two reasons you do not have the wear on your vehicle while traveling like if you flat tow or dolly tow. I can personally back the trailer up any where when needed and as far as needed. You cannot do that flat or dolly towing. While trailering 5000# car and trailer across country, you do not even know it is behind you due to the 400HP and torque of the Winnebago. Average fuel mileage with cruse set at 63 MPH 8.5 MPG. Best was 11.8 MPG crusing at 58 MPH on super flat stretches of interstate. We use 350 gallon of fuel Florida to Nevada 3000 mile trip fully loaded. The coach is advertised to sleep 4. When you sell your house and chose to live full time in the coach, there better be enough room. The coach is extremely spacious and we never feel closed in. The layout is perfect. The kitchen is up front great when traveling right behind the cockpit. Mid coach is a half bath with easy access wihle traveling. As full timers everything you own is stored in the coach. More than enough cabinet storage inside the coach and exceptional large amount of storage outside. We toured many coaches and chose Winnebago Meridian 40R. We think it is the best floor plan for our needs. The quality of this coach far exceeds the quality of other coaches that we have toured before our purchase. It is very upscaled for the price verses a top of the line expensive coach. Hope you can enjoy this coach as much as we have.
- Duane Bonar, Florida