Winnebago Class A - Diesel RVs Reviews on RV Insider (119)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Winnebago Class A - Diesel RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Ed Soniat from Georgia says:

Have you owned any Winnebago Class A - Diesel RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2013 Winnebago Journey 36M View Listings

Bought this used about 6 months ago. Been out about 6 times, probably spent 5 weeks in it so far in total and driving about 2000 miles some back roads. Getting 9.5 MPG. Very comfortable to drive, just finished Naples to ATL 630 miles in one day. Much better than doing it in a car. I think the coach is a good value. It is built well and I think the Chassis is a good quality chassis. The house is solidly built. They tried hard to put in quality appliances and features. The kitchen is very workable and the residential fridge is an amazing convenience. There is no pantry but there is plenty of storage within easy reach to serve as a pantry. The hood vent actually exhausted the air not just blow it back out the top. The washer and dryer work well and we find them very convenient. The washer is very quite and uses very little water, but it is not on the inverter. The full wall slide really opens up the coach bay making the hall at the bath nice and roomy. The Maxum chassis provides a basement that gives this coach the storage of a regular 40 but with better access. Storage inside is equally impressive It also has a true 10000 lb towing capacity. Some coaches require you to reduce your payload to tow a full 10K, this one does not. It comes with a whopping 660 amp hours consisting of 6 AGM batteries, no cutting corners there. No maintenance easy to own, expensive to replace but LiFEPo4 will probably be available by the time these wear out. It has a neat power management system that used the massive 2800 watt inverter to make being on 30 amp or even on 15 amp much more workable. It also comes with an automatic A/C source switch to switch from grid or generator power that includes good surge protection. We prefer the sliding windows that open very wide to the new "frameless" that only flip out on the 2014 and later coaches. The lighting is pretty amazing on the inside. Lights everywhere. The two exhaust fans can really move the air. My wife loves the MCD shades. The roof is very cleaning organized and I was able to install 12 big solar panels for a whopping 1200 watts of solar to charge all those batteries. Now for the nits and they really don't detract from much from our pleasure in owning it. It does not come with good battery monitoring, and you will want to upgrade your inverter remote, they put in the cheapest one. We have the digital comfort rest mattress which is a full queen, but we don't find it all that good. Probably will get a 3" memory foam topper. The kitchen sink is set a little deep to be used from straight on but ok from the corner. The dryer is pretty noisy but it works quite well. I would like another cup holder for the driver. The IPOD interface on the dash is junk, they should have just provided a cable. It also doesn't have a 1/4 headphone jack for input, it does have USB. We are not big TV watchers and that is good because none of the TV's are easy to view except the lounge from the dinette and only for two people. You really can not use the bedroom without the closet slide out. I think the passenger side basement doors are way to big, they. Should have made the water tank door separate. They really catch the wind and swing way out. The A/Cs are zoned but they both use the same duct work so you can't really cool just the back or the front with out closing the vents (easy) and blocking the returns (hard). This may be common in many coaches. The outlet we use the most ( for our laptops) at the dinette is not on the inverter, this should be easy to fix. The bed room door, which we never use anyway, is hard to use.
- Ed Soniat, Georgia

2020-01-12 2011 Winnebago Via 25R View Listings

I converted a 1963 GM Highway Coach (PD4106) to a motorhome. It gets 6 miles to the gallon. Too expensive to go on long trips. My wife and I gave the bus conversion to my son and bought the MB Sprinter-based Via, it averages about 15 miles per gallon so a trip to California costs a third of what it costs with the bus! We chose the Via 25R because it has enough storage, both inside, with a big closet, and outside with bays and the big compartment above the wet bay. Winnebago's quality is better than most, most things work as expected, but most of what breaks is because it is cheap plastic. The Via 25R floor plan gives lots of room, but we are selling it because it is not a four-season motorhome. It'll keep you warm in the winter, but you have to wait for a thaw to dump it, and when it got really cold the freshwater lines froze. The Sprinter is a joy to drive. However, remember that all those yellow diamond shape signs with the curve or the suggested speed limit you can ignore in a car, well, they are meant for you. Slow down, take it easy. The size of the Via at 25'6" and less than 8' wide, makes it easy to park. On the street in the city you need two spots, in a parking lot at the grocery you need two spots, but getting out is easy, just watch your mirrors. The kitchen is adequate, the sink is a bit small, but there is room for everything you might want to take along. Including food, the pantry is big enough, the overhead bins are big enough. We enjoyed over a week with our son, his wife and two kids. Two couples and two kids! Not bad for tiny little MH that gets 15 mpg!
- johngrootjr, Massachusetts

2019-12-27 2018 Winnebago Horizon 40A View Listings

Wonderful New design is BEST I have ever seen !! Home away from home with every luxury I can imagine. 3 air Condition Roof units, Fireplace for ALL seasons.T.V.s Raise fromunder countertop and store away under countertop to have full View of Mountians , Ocean. 8.9 L Diesel has more than enough power entering Interstate from on Ramp and 10,000 Generator provides Power to Run EVERYTHING !!
- Tiffany Hobson, North Carolina

2019-12-25 2015 Winnebago Journey 40U View Listings

Great rig....Freightliner chassis is a dream unit to drive. Very comfortable for long drives. Plenty of power and stable for towing my JEEP Grand Cherokee. This Motorhome is very livable, all the amenities of home.
- Carl Stevens, Arizona

2019-12-18 1995 Winnebago Luxor 37WQ View Listings

We purchased this RV used and really enjoyed living in it. The floor plan was ideal and it was very comfortable to drive. Was our second RV, definite upgrade from an older Pace Arrow. It was well built and roomy.
- Chester Farmer, Texas

2019-12-08 2016 Winnebago Via 25Q View Listings

I have owned a Via for three years and 12,000 miles. I am very impressed with the design and construction of this coach. It has everything you will find in a diesel pusher, but in a smaller package yielding 16+ miles per gallon even while towing a 18 foot boat. Most impressive is the power and handling. It is a breeze to operate in congested traffic areas. Back it into a regular car parking spot at the trail head. Ducted AC/heat make it comfy and quiet. Turn the front seats to face the TV for theater chair comfort. I love the LED above cabinet mood lighting. The only problem you will have will be the constant attention it draws from passersby.
- Robert, Florida

2019-12-01 2019 Winnebago Forza 38F View Listings

I never write reviews but I feel it’s necessary if for no other reason than to defend Winnebago products.  We owned a 2014 Via that was quality in every detail.  We recently sold it & purchased a 2019 Forza 36G.   I’m not sure if all the negative reviews I read about them are normal for this model or if I got an exception to the norm.   We only have 3,600 miles on it now but have made several trips and other than a few minor cosmetic problems that the dealer took care of (or me!), we have had virtually no problems with our unit.     I will say that we looked at the 34T Forza and the workmanship on it was not up to what I considered Winnebago standards. We looked at the 36G however & everything in it was a step ahead of the 34. I’m not sure if this is just coincidental or normal for the 36G.   Since we bought the unit late in the year, we knew the air-conditioning systems worked fine but we wanted to test out the heating systems before we winterized it. We intentionally drove the unit up to New Mexico from Okla where it was snowy there and 4 degrees Fahrenheit just to see how it operated in cold conditions.  Everything worked as it should and we had no freeze ups on water or sewer areas. Heating system, fireplace, and gas tankless water heater with circulating loop worked fine.   Some of the problems I read about are actually maybe not problems; some owners may need to know how to operate the equipment better by asking Winnebago if the dealer can’t help. Not knowing how to start the diesel generator (not priming properly) and not knowing that the sewer connector is movable,not fixed, are owner issues, not the manufacturer.   Although the dealer I purchased from for the most part was clueless, (which most dealers of any type of product are because the purchaser knows more about the product than they do)...Winnebago Customer service has been able to help me with any questions I have so far.   I hope this review will go a little ways toward helping anybody out there looking to buy this particular model. We love ours!!   Please feel free to contact me if there’s anything I can help someone on with this model. Mike.
- Mike Knight, Oklahoma

2019-11-18 2017 Winnebago Solei 34T View Listings

This RV is the perfect size! 35' fits in almost every RV park including National Parks! All the power you need to travel cross country! Comfortable layout! Great for full time to weekend warrior!
- Christopher Conti, Florida

2019-10-08 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H View Listings

Love our 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H The double slides give the feeling of plenty of room to move around the coach when the slides are open, but when we are on the road and the slides are in, there is plenty of room to access the refrigerator, microwave, bench setting area and most important, the bathroom facilities. When one is stopped in a traffic jam for a long period of time, this is probably the most important. The bench seat & table area fits 2-4 people comfortably whether you are eating or playing cards. There is plenty of room to sit up your computer. Our table has two pull-out drawers that hold pens, pencils, paper, scissors, or loose change. The double sink has a pull-out sprayer for ease of rinsing off dishes. When the stove cover is closed, there is plenty of room to place wet dishes on a mat to dry. There is a fresh water tap for refilling cups or travel bottles. The appliance garage behind the sink is great for holding a coffee pot, small toaster, or bread & rolls. The 3 burner gas stove is great for cooking along with the dual microwave/convention oven. Our RV has a Whirlpool residential refrigerator with an ice maker. No need to stop at a convenient store for ice. There are 2 pocket doors: one closes off the bathroom from the main kitchen/living room and the 2nd door closes off the bathroom from the bedroom. The toilet is in its own room with a solid door for privacy. Plenty of cabinets above the toilet and across from the toilet are cabinets to hold lots of towels, sheets, cleaning supplies, toilet paper & paper towels. The shower is a comfortable size with 2 heights to hold the shower wand. There are 2 shelves to hold 4-6 bottles of shampoo, conditioner & bath gel. A pull down seat is available inside the shower, if needed. The bedroom holds a Queen RV Size mattress with nightstands on both sides of the bed. There is plenty of room to move around the bed to make it and plenty of storage in the wardrobe with four drawers below.
- Arlene G, Florida

2019-10-03 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

The Journey is aptly named. We love our Motorhome and have had 70,000 miles of many great Journeys in it. The 36 is a perfect size for accessibility to most all parks, yet it has plenty room. Compared to new models, we like the simplicity of this model. If we could buy a new one, exactly like it, we would do it. The only change we would make is the queen size bed it a bit tight for us. The next coach will have a king bed. We did not have any warranty issues so that category should really have an NA. We did travel to Winnebago twice for factory updates ( new tv and motion satellite) and repairs. This was a very good experience. Maybe somewhat costly, but compared to running the Motorhome all over for various disciplines, the one stop service and knowing work is done correctly is worth the cost. And while there, take the tour. It’s an impressive company with interesting history.
- Carl Leep, Michigan

2019-09-16 2014 Winnebago Journey 34B View Listings

We have been RVing since 1969 and have had several brands and models of motor home on various chassis. This one the Winnebago 34B has been the absolute best and most usable of all of them, even the 40 foot other brand that we had previously. Mated with the Freightliner chassis it is also a wonderful unit to drive and maneuver, turning sharp enough to even get through most McDonald's restaurants. It is just hard to beat.
- Larry Minch, Arizona

2019-09-13 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36LD View Listings

I have had two other Winnebago Journey pushers previously. There are obvious benefits of a diesel over a gas engine; quiet driver position, reliability, durability and ease of service. The Journey coaches have considerable value compared to other motor homes we looked at previously. Driving is less tiring since big trucks don’t blow you around like gas engine rigs. The Journey shares the Winnebago central heat and air just like your home, so there is nothing sitting on your roof. I also appreciate having the outside storage compartments move with the slide outs. Some motor homes have fixed storage units that are very hard to reach with the slide outs extended. All of my Journeys have had a central control panel for easy access. The only real complaint I have had is that none of my Winnebago Journeys have come with central vac system. I broke down and installed a good one on this coach which is very convenient. I also have found it handy to have an air compressor on board. If you need to add air to a tire or blow up flotation devices and beach gear, you don’t have to remember to load one in the coach before a trip. I have traveled in RVs for over 30 years and will miss the experience. But time catches up with you and forces you to change your lifestyle. We have great memories as do our children. I’m glad we got into motor homing when we did. It is our wish that someone will get the same enjoyment with this coach as we did.
- Robert Hill, Tennessee

2019-08-26 2014 Winnebago Via 25P View Listings

This small classA diesel motorhome is easy to drive, has great fuel economy and abundant storage. Perfect for the travelers that like to visit out of the way spots, the generator and insures you will enjoy your explorations beyond the reach of electric hook-ups. Small enough to fit tight spots but large enough to be comfortable it would be the perfect unit for those looking to down-size. Powerful enough to comfortably tow a car, you can shop or sightsee while leaving the motorhome parked. A thoughtful addition to Winnebagos line.
- Larry Northup, Iowa

2019-08-21 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z View Listings

We have owned the RV since 08 bought it brand new, we have used it 2x a year. Put tires on it all around last year. RV has been stored under cover since purchased. Never have had problems with RV. Has brand new 2 recliners. Has washer & dryer, surround sound system with satellite TV.
- York, Kentucky

2019-08-14 2008 Winnebago Journey 37H View Listings

Purchased in 2010 as a new unit, been completely satisfied in size, handling and mobility. Looking to sell to get a new unit. Not a lot of bells and whistles on unit so there was nothing to break down. Towing was a breeze 37 feet is very easy to move around in.
- W Smith, New Brunswick

2019-08-12 2017 Winnebago Forza 36G View Listings

Outstanding customer service at Winnebago and Freightliner. Easy to drive, good visibility, great comfort all around. Unit is well balanced, but the automatic leveling and retracting seems a bit slow.
- JIM BROCKMANN, Indiana

2019-08-09 2019 Winnebago Forza 38F View Listings

The purpose of this review is to share our recent experience buying a 2019 Winnebago Forza 38F from La Mesa RV in Sacramento. First mistake. Lost $18,000 on my trade-in of another Winnebago. Sell your RV rather than trading it to the dealer. You will only lose. Yes. I get the stupid award for my error. It’s only money. Right? First correct move. Shop for an interest rate. Shop for gap insurance, extended warranty, tire insurance, etc.; If you live in California, it is illegal for on-line insurance brokers to offer gap insurance unless they are licensed in California. Second big mistake. Do not accept your coach at the walk-through if there is anything that does not work, which is why I am writing this review. The salespeople will tell you that you are family and they want you to be happy. (If your crap detector has not gone off at this point, then you are about to get suckered.) Once you accept the coach you are at the total mercy of the dealer’s service department. No more family; we want you to be happy. Our nightmare from our walk-through follows: 1. Faucet was not attached to the countertop. The threads on the faucet were stripped. I am putting a better faucet in myself. 2. Refrigerator door slightly out of alignment. The walk-through person said, “No problem. Service will fix it.” 3. Refrigerator door latch failed. We were barely 5 minutes out of our driveway when the refrigerator door flung open and hit my grandson. The latch failed because the door was severely tweaked. We had to use bungie cords wrapped around the broken faucet to hold the door shut. 4. Generator would not start. The tech could not get the generator to start. There was clearly a problem with generator and probably needed to get repaired by the Onan dealer. It turns out, the generator just needed to be primed. 5. Screen door must be slammed to close it and squeaks like crazy when driving. A private mechanic we hired, because I do not trust the dealer, says the latch catch is installed too far into the door frame. The door is now bent out at the top and the bottom. Poor quality control. 6. Storage bay doors pop open when locked as we drive. Fortunately, nothing has fallen out that could cause damage to a person or property. If that happens, I will get sued aside from hurting someone. The dealer, La Mesa RV, and Winnebago are oblivious to the problem. The mechanic we hired noted that the gaskets around the doors are too big. As the coach twists, the locks release. He also stated that the screws will pull out of the side panels. There is evidence that is already occurring with barely 2,000 miles on the coach. Horrible design and no quality control. 7. Water fill. There is no gravity fill. The internal water lines all leak. Poor design. 8. Gray water/black water drain position does not allow the sewer line to be connected. The angle is too tight. The opening to drop the sewer line out the bottom of the bay is located next to the door rather than directly beneath the drain opening. Poor design. We have had the coach for about two months now. Only one trip. Every RV we have purchased had some issues. For the price of this coach, I expected few problems, not the disaster we are experiencing. We expected more quality from Winnebago. We had low expectations from the dealer from our last experience with La Mesa RV. In fairness, they did set up a service appointment after about a month post purchase. We could not make the appointment. In hindsight, we would not have purchased the Forza despite the appearance. Winnebago quality has deteriorated and the dealer hassles are not worth the grief.
- Tom Henry, California

2019-08-07 2014 Winnebago Forza 38R View Listings

THis has been a great family coach, its roomy and we have enjoyed it for a few years. With washer and Dryer on baord no need to carry extra clothing during long trips. Ample storage underneath for multiple tables and chairs as well as extra luggage. We also town a small SUV and has been very responsive touring the mountains.
- Sandro Alvarez, Florida

2019-08-07 2004 Winnebago Journey 39K View Listings

Love the dinett w/ the bench seat. Easy to drive. Exterior looks like it's new.Recently took a 6 month cross country and it ran great. The shower is ample size so we rarely use the campground showers.
- Phil Spence, Florida

2019-07-30 2012 Winnebago Via 25Q View Listings

We bought our Via used and have had it out three times. This last time we went to Colorado and after filling up with diesel in Trinadad, we started it and it said check DEF fluid. Then the check engine light came on. The DEF fluid was full. We went ahead and drove it to our camping spot and did not start it again until we got ready to come home. We did call Mercedez Benz to try to find a dealer close by. They were of NO help. Mercedez wants to sale these rigs but not provide service. The closest one to our home is 120 miles away. If a dealership isn't within 100 miles they don't know how to find one! We found an independent shop in Amarillo and headed for there. Thankfully we made it. Diagnosis is a communication failure, and the heater in the DEF tank is out and the Level indicator is out as well. Last year we had problems with a different motorhome and it was the DEF system as well. We will not ever own another vehicle that has DEF! Our frustration with this rig is that no one even wants to work on them! When we finally found someone, he tells us that he has picked up these rigs over 500 miles away, because he is the closest place that works on them! The guy also said that he keeps the communication sensor in stock because "they are always going out". We will not own another Mercedez nor a vehicle that requires DEF. Winnebago needs to put this Via on a Ford or Chevrolet!
- Katherine Drake, Texas

2019-07-10 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD View Listings

Great Motorhome, smooth ride, plenty of power, all the comforts of home, lots of upgrades on this coach. New flat screen tv in living room and bedroom. New generator, new central air and heat. New appliances!
- Charlie Harris, Alabama

2019-06-18 2006 Winnebago Journey 39K View Listings

The Best Motor home EVER!!!!!! The quality was great. I had many trips with this motor home, ALL were great. So sad to sell wish I could keep it forever. Would buy another Winnebago motor home again in a minute.
- James Yager, Oklahoma

2019-06-11 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z View Listings

We bought this RV to follow our son in college as he played baseball. We have used it since, not as much. Just don’t feel we are using enough, time to sell. We love the camper, but we have grandchildren now, and we live spending time with them
- Susan York , Kentucky

2019-06-05 2004 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

We bought this rv three years ago. And have been very happy with it. It was one owner rv when we bought it. This is correct millage,25000. We are going back to fifth wheel. Because we own dulley truck.
- Jim conner, Florida

2019-06-05 2014 Winnebago Forza 38R View Listings

I had written a prior review regarding my 2014 Forza 38R which we still love. The only thing that has changed is the support from Winnebago. They for what ever reason never have parts in stock, everything has to be special ordered and it takes for ever had to replace the entrance door took over 8 weeks and you had to cut the hole for the window. I needed to replace 2 storage doors they were given the correct part numbers and sent the wrong doors and they were ordered by a Winnebago dealer, still took 6 weeks then had a sapping issue with the wood and they were clueless, gave me every excuse in the book, turns out it was the glue they used to put the panels on the doors together, they also would not give me the stain they used told me to go out and have it matched. Last Winnebago I will ever buy. Fleetwood is far better, love the coach but Winnebago is a zero on product support as they make these door everyday, but it takes 8 weeks?
- Jeffrey Bennett, Nevada