Winnebago Class A - Diesel Reviews on RV Insider (128)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Winnebago Class A - Diesel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ed Soniat from Georgia says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2013 Winnebago Journey 36M View Listings

Bought this used about 6 months ago. Been out about 6 times, probably spent 5 weeks in it so far in total and driving about 2000 miles some back roads. Getting 9.5 MPG. Very comfortable to drive, just finished Naples to ATL 630 miles in one day. Much better than doing it in a car. I think the coach is a good value. It is built well and I think the Chassis is a good quality chassis. The house is solidly built. They tried hard to put in quality appliances and features. The kitchen is very workable and the residential fridge is an amazing convenience. There is no pantry but there is plenty of storage within easy reach to serve as a pantry. The hood vent actually exhausted the air not just blow it back out the top. The washer and dryer work well and we find them very convenient. The washer is very quite and uses very little water, but it is not on the inverter. The full wall slide really opens up the coach bay making the hall at the bath nice and roomy. The Maxum chassis provides a basement that gives this coach the storage of a regular 40 but with better access. Storage inside is equally impressive It also has a true 10000 lb towing capacity. Some coaches require you to reduce your payload to tow a full 10K, this one does not. It comes with a whopping 660 amp hours consisting of 6 AGM batteries, no cutting corners there. No maintenance easy to own, expensive to replace but LiFEPo4 will probably be available by the time these wear out. It has a neat power management system that used the massive 2800 watt inverter to make being on 30 amp or even on 15 amp much more workable. It also comes with an automatic A/C source switch to switch from grid or generator power that includes good surge protection. We prefer the sliding windows that open very wide to the new "frameless" that only flip out on the 2014 and later coaches. The lighting is pretty amazing on the inside. Lights everywhere. The two exhaust fans can really move the air. My wife loves the MCD shades. The roof is very cleaning organized and I was able to install 12 big solar panels for a whopping 1200 watts of solar to charge all those batteries. Now for the nits and they really don't detract from much from our pleasure in owning it. It does not come with good battery monitoring, and you will want to upgrade your inverter remote, they put in the cheapest one. We have the digital comfort rest mattress which is a full queen, but we don't find it all that good. Probably will get a 3" memory foam topper. The kitchen sink is set a little deep to be used from straight on but ok from the corner. The dryer is pretty noisy but it works quite well. I would like another cup holder for the driver. The IPOD interface on the dash is junk, they should have just provided a cable. It also doesn't have a 1/4 headphone jack for input, it does have USB. We are not big TV watchers and that is good because none of the TV's are easy to view except the lounge from the dinette and only for two people. You really can not use the bedroom without the closet slide out. I think the passenger side basement doors are way to big, they. Should have made the water tank door separate. They really catch the wind and swing way out. The A/Cs are zoned but they both use the same duct work so you can't really cool just the back or the front with out closing the vents (easy) and blocking the returns (hard). This may be common in many coaches. The outlet we use the most ( for our laptops) at the dinette is not on the inverter, this should be easy to fix. The bed room door, which we never use anyway, is hard to use.
- Ed Soniat, Georgia

2020-04-01 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 38K View Listings

This motorhome is both comfortable inside and powerful. It can accommodate, comfortably, a group of four. It has made both long and short trips without any serious mechanical or other functional issue. Occasional maintenance work and replacements have been needed during our ownership, but that has been the extent of the care required.
- Larry K, California

2020-03-19 2019 Winnebago Horizon 40A View Listings

When you advertise $469,000 msrp you better build a quality rig! Ha jokes on me! This is the most unreliable rig! 30 days of ownership:rear jackswouldnt retract told leveling pump bad... one week later-front jacks won’t go down. Aqua hot intermittent, massive ATF LEAK, slide trim facia bent while retracting slide, firefly intermittently inop, inverter inop, mid a/c inop when generator on, fridge leaking glycol, induction burners inop (they were never plugged in!) Countless trim issues, that don’t even matter because the horrific mechanics Cause you to not even think about those issues!
- Ellen Huber, Illinois

2020-03-12 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD View Listings

We have had this coach for approx 5 years and have enjoyed every moment. Winnebago has handled items in and out of warranty. The documentation they give you on the coach is extensive. (5) large books which explains items in detail. Our down time was kept to a minimum. We took mamy long trips and the ease of driving couldn't be better. If I was looking for a new coach I would start with Winnebago. Regards, Stephen Blust
- bluststephen, Florida

2020-03-06 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD View Listings

My wife and I sold our home and decided to live full time in a motorhome. We looked at most brands and fell in love with the Winnebago Journey. The floor plan was perfect and the quality was top notch. I was a maintenance mechanic for a major chemical plant for 28 years so I really inspected the mechanical parts of the motorhome. I was very impressed with how heavy duty everything was built. We have been living in it for three years now and the motorhome has been great! I have found that the worst thing you can do when owning one of these Journey's is to let it sit and not be driven. The only time we stayed in one spot for several months. I did not use any fuel stabiliser and algae grew in the diesel fuel and clogged up the fuel filter. Thankfully I had stored extra filters on board and spending 20 minutes replacing it we were riding strong again. That was not a quality issue however with the Winnebago, this was my fault. The motorhome is built on a custom Freightliner chassis and a very strong Caterpillar Diesel engine that will last for many hundred thousand miles. When I first bought it I thought that it was going to be hard to drive. I was wrong about that for sure. I found out that it was easy to drive and very safe with having ABS and the engine brake. Even pulling a car dolly with a 2005 Ford Five Hundred ( which is a four door full size car) was a breeze. I feel very confident behind the wheel, even at 80 miles an hour. It handles great! Winnebago really hit a home run with this motorhome. One thing that you realize when driving the Journey is how quiet it is at highway speeds. It has no rattles or vibrations and rides so smooth. It reminds me of when I would ride in my fathers 1974 Ford Grand Torino Elite. Like riding on a cloud of air. Honestly there is not one thing that I can think of that Winnebago could have improved on with this motorhome. There are some class A builders out there that do make a beautiful motorhome. However now when I look at them and living in a quality built Winnebago, I can see how cheaply they are built. In the future if I ever buy another motorhome, it will be a Winnebago Journey.
- Chad Hosmer, South Carolina

2020-03-03 2015 Winnebago Tour 42HD View Listings

Endless problems during the first two years. All four slide motors failed on all four slides and had to be replaced. All 4 Aqua Hot 4 pumps failed. Dryer motor failed. 25 LED lights failed. Toilet pump in rear bath failed. Both Awing drive motors failed. Front tires had to be replaced as they were out of round. Air pump for bed had to be replace. Air mattress on king bed had to be replaced, was not holding air. Rear Tail lights had to be replaced as control unit failed. Windshield leaked and was replaced. Window by master bed had to replaced. Control unit for the CD player failed and had to be replaced. Walls and doors moved while traveling and were poorly installed. Need I say more and I could go on. To say the least Winnebago needs some significant QA improvement their products
- John Baerthlein, Nevada

2020-02-23 2013 Winnebago Tour 42GD View Listings

We bought a new Winnebago Tour in 2013 & still own it. It is the a high end motorhome that rides so smoothly & is so comfortable to stay in. We haven’t taken as many trips in it as we would have liked since I’m still working but have enjoyed every minute we’ve been in it! You can’t go wrong with a Winnebago Tour!
- James Dick8e, New Mexico

2020-02-18 2008 Winnebago Tour 40TD View Listings

This Winnebago is truly a condo (or man cave) on wheels. Spacious enough to enjoy by ourselves or roomy enough to have company over for a meal, it is a true home away from home. The visibility when driving or riding in it is superb. More than once, my husband almost got up while driving to get something out of the refrigerator. His words: it is fun to drive and the most comfortable seat he has ever sat in behind the wheel. We have boon docked without losing any lack of comfort thanks to the generator. From Dark Sky Astronomy Parties to book conventions to a cross-country trip with our grandson, the Winnebago has more than enough room for anything you want to take. We’ve towed both a Honda CRV and a Jeep Cherokee with no issues. From the Florida Keys to Canada and back, we’ve never had any issues - only a great time. Whether you want to live full-time on the road or just enjoy getting away, this RV knows how to make it fun!
- Susan, Florida

2020-02-07 2004 Winnebago Journey 32T View Listings

Having owned two gas motor homes from 2003 to 2015, I moved up to a diesel. I knew from the start I wanted a Winnebago 32T because of the specs. While she was a short diesel, she had ample fresh water, propane, fuel, and waste tanks. She was powered by the very economical 5.9L Cummins diesel and was equipped with an exhaust brake - something very necessary with a heavy diesel. She had a six speed Allison 3000 MH transmission. The interior layout was very useful and convenient. We purchased our 2004 Winnebago Journey 32T in June of 2015. She was everything I hoped she'd be, and I planned to keep her as long as we could RV. We loved the great fuel mileage of 11 MPG. We did not tow and drove at 60 MPH. The comfort of air suspension alone was worth the move up to diesel. We loved the very quiet, efficient, trouble free basement air conditioning. It was as quiet as our home central air. In the 28 months we owned her, we put 25,000 miles on her. She was very comfortable driving down the highway and very cozy and homelike when we parked overnight. Nearly every night on the road we dry camped at a Walmart. Unfortunately, in October, 2017 while driving through Kansas on US50 toward Graceland in Tennessee from our home in California, someone pulled in front of us, causing a major accident. The other driver was 100% at fault. Sadly, he died at the scene. Our beloved "Cecil the Diesel" was totaled. We were unable to find another 32T as we shopped for a replacement, and bought a 2005 34' Bounder diesel. It's a fine coach, but with just 8.5 MPG we surely miss the economical Winnebago. Whenever we have to use the noisy roof mounted air conditioners, we miss her even more! I am perpetually in search of another 32T, but at our advancing ages, it's likely we'll continue with the Bounder. My personal website which tells of all our RV travels is Fishwisher.com
- Dale Gillespie, California

2020-01-28 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 38K View Listings

This is a very solid unit. The quality used when building these back in 1999 was outstanding. The 300 HP Cat engine just keeps going and going. The only down fall is the 1 slide. You can still find parts for these older coaches.
- Eric, Illinois

2020-01-12 2011 Winnebago Via 25R View Listings

I converted a 1963 GM Highway Coach (PD4106) to a motorhome. It gets 6 miles to the gallon. Too expensive to go on long trips. My wife and I gave the bus conversion to my son and bought the MB Sprinter-based Via, it averages about 15 miles per gallon so a trip to California costs a third of what it costs with the bus! We chose the Via 25R because it has enough storage, both inside, with a big closet, and outside with bays and the big compartment above the wet bay. Winnebago's quality is better than most, most things work as expected, but most of what breaks is because it is cheap plastic. The Via 25R floor plan gives lots of room, but we are selling it because it is not a four-season motorhome. It'll keep you warm in the winter, but you have to wait for a thaw to dump it, and when it got really cold the freshwater lines froze. The Sprinter is a joy to drive. However, remember that all those yellow diamond shape signs with the curve or the suggested speed limit you can ignore in a car, well, they are meant for you. Slow down, take it easy. The size of the Via at 25'6" and less than 8' wide, makes it easy to park. On the street in the city you need two spots, in a parking lot at the grocery you need two spots, but getting out is easy, just watch your mirrors. The kitchen is adequate, the sink is a bit small, but there is room for everything you might want to take along. Including food, the pantry is big enough, the overhead bins are big enough. We enjoyed over a week with our son, his wife and two kids. Two couples and two kids! Not bad for tiny little MH that gets 15 mpg!
- johngrootjr, Massachusetts

2019-12-27 2018 Winnebago Horizon 40A View Listings

Wonderful New design is BEST I have ever seen !! Home away from home with every luxury I can imagine. 3 air Condition Roof units, Fireplace for ALL seasons.T.V.s Raise fromunder countertop and store away under countertop to have full View of Mountians , Ocean. 8.9 L Diesel has more than enough power entering Interstate from on Ramp and 10,000 Generator provides Power to Run EVERYTHING !!
- Tiffany Hobson, North Carolina

2019-12-25 2015 Winnebago Journey 40U View Listings

Great rig....Freightliner chassis is a dream unit to drive. Very comfortable for long drives. Plenty of power and stable for towing my JEEP Grand Cherokee. This Motorhome is very livable, all the amenities of home.
- Carl Stevens, Arizona

2019-12-18 1995 Winnebago Luxor 37WQ View Listings

We purchased this RV used and really enjoyed living in it. The floor plan was ideal and it was very comfortable to drive. Was our second RV, definite upgrade from an older Pace Arrow. It was well built and roomy.
- Chester Farmer, Texas

2019-12-08 2016 Winnebago Via 25Q View Listings

I have owned a Via for three years and 12,000 miles. I am very impressed with the design and construction of this coach. It has everything you will find in a diesel pusher, but in a smaller package yielding 16+ miles per gallon even while towing a 18 foot boat. Most impressive is the power and handling. It is a breeze to operate in congested traffic areas. Back it into a regular car parking spot at the trail head. Ducted AC/heat make it comfy and quiet. Turn the front seats to face the TV for theater chair comfort. I love the LED above cabinet mood lighting. The only problem you will have will be the constant attention it draws from passersby.
- Robert, Florida

2019-12-01 2019 Winnebago Forza 38F View Listings

I never write reviews but I feel it’s necessary if for no other reason than to defend Winnebago products.  We owned a 2014 Via that was quality in every detail.  We recently sold it & purchased a 2019 Forza 36G.   I’m not sure if all the negative reviews I read about them are normal for this model or if I got an exception to the norm.   We only have 3,600 miles on it now but have made several trips and other than a few minor cosmetic problems that the dealer took care of (or me!), we have had virtually no problems with our unit.     I will say that we looked at the 34T Forza and the workmanship on it was not up to what I considered Winnebago standards. We looked at the 36G however & everything in it was a step ahead of the 34. I’m not sure if this is just coincidental or normal for the 36G.   Since we bought the unit late in the year, we knew the air-conditioning systems worked fine but we wanted to test out the heating systems before we winterized it. We intentionally drove the unit up to New Mexico from Okla where it was snowy there and 4 degrees Fahrenheit just to see how it operated in cold conditions.  Everything worked as it should and we had no freeze ups on water or sewer areas. Heating system, fireplace, and gas tankless water heater with circulating loop worked fine.   Some of the problems I read about are actually maybe not problems; some owners may need to know how to operate the equipment better by asking Winnebago if the dealer can’t help. Not knowing how to start the diesel generator (not priming properly) and not knowing that the sewer connector is movable,not fixed, are owner issues, not the manufacturer.   Although the dealer I purchased from for the most part was clueless, (which most dealers of any type of product are because the purchaser knows more about the product than they do)...Winnebago Customer service has been able to help me with any questions I have so far.   I hope this review will go a little ways toward helping anybody out there looking to buy this particular model. We love ours!!   Please feel free to contact me if there’s anything I can help someone on with this model. Mike.
- Mike Knight, Oklahoma

2019-11-18 2017 Winnebago Solei 34T View Listings

This RV is the perfect size! 35' fits in almost every RV park including National Parks! All the power you need to travel cross country! Comfortable layout! Great for full time to weekend warrior!
- Christopher Conti, Florida

2019-10-08 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H View Listings

Love our 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H The double slides give the feeling of plenty of room to move around the coach when the slides are open, but when we are on the road and the slides are in, there is plenty of room to access the refrigerator, microwave, bench setting area and most important, the bathroom facilities. When one is stopped in a traffic jam for a long period of time, this is probably the most important. The bench seat & table area fits 2-4 people comfortably whether you are eating or playing cards. There is plenty of room to sit up your computer. Our table has two pull-out drawers that hold pens, pencils, paper, scissors, or loose change. The double sink has a pull-out sprayer for ease of rinsing off dishes. When the stove cover is closed, there is plenty of room to place wet dishes on a mat to dry. There is a fresh water tap for refilling cups or travel bottles. The appliance garage behind the sink is great for holding a coffee pot, small toaster, or bread & rolls. The 3 burner gas stove is great for cooking along with the dual microwave/convention oven. Our RV has a Whirlpool residential refrigerator with an ice maker. No need to stop at a convenient store for ice. There are 2 pocket doors: one closes off the bathroom from the main kitchen/living room and the 2nd door closes off the bathroom from the bedroom. The toilet is in its own room with a solid door for privacy. Plenty of cabinets above the toilet and across from the toilet are cabinets to hold lots of towels, sheets, cleaning supplies, toilet paper & paper towels. The shower is a comfortable size with 2 heights to hold the shower wand. There are 2 shelves to hold 4-6 bottles of shampoo, conditioner & bath gel. A pull down seat is available inside the shower, if needed. The bedroom holds a Queen RV Size mattress with nightstands on both sides of the bed. There is plenty of room to move around the bed to make it and plenty of storage in the wardrobe with four drawers below.
- Arlene G, Florida

2019-10-03 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G View Listings

The Journey is aptly named. We love our Motorhome and have had 70,000 miles of many great Journeys in it. The 36 is a perfect size for accessibility to most all parks, yet it has plenty room. Compared to new models, we like the simplicity of this model. If we could buy a new one, exactly like it, we would do it. The only change we would make is the queen size bed it a bit tight for us. The next coach will have a king bed. We did not have any warranty issues so that category should really have an NA. We did travel to Winnebago twice for factory updates ( new tv and motion satellite) and repairs. This was a very good experience. Maybe somewhat costly, but compared to running the Motorhome all over for various disciplines, the one stop service and knowing work is done correctly is worth the cost. And while there, take the tour. It’s an impressive company with interesting history.
- Carl Leep, Michigan

2019-09-16 2014 Winnebago Journey 34B View Listings

We have been RVing since 1969 and have had several brands and models of motor home on various chassis. This one the Winnebago 34B has been the absolute best and most usable of all of them, even the 40 foot other brand that we had previously. Mated with the Freightliner chassis it is also a wonderful unit to drive and maneuver, turning sharp enough to even get through most McDonald's restaurants. It is just hard to beat.
- Larry Minch, Arizona

2019-09-13 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36LD View Listings

I have had two other Winnebago Journey pushers previously. There are obvious benefits of a diesel over a gas engine; quiet driver position, reliability, durability and ease of service. The Journey coaches have considerable value compared to other motor homes we looked at previously. Driving is less tiring since big trucks don’t blow you around like gas engine rigs. The Journey shares the Winnebago central heat and air just like your home, so there is nothing sitting on your roof. I also appreciate having the outside storage compartments move with the slide outs. Some motor homes have fixed storage units that are very hard to reach with the slide outs extended. All of my Journeys have had a central control panel for easy access. The only real complaint I have had is that none of my Winnebago Journeys have come with central vac system. I broke down and installed a good one on this coach which is very convenient. I also have found it handy to have an air compressor on board. If you need to add air to a tire or blow up flotation devices and beach gear, you don’t have to remember to load one in the coach before a trip. I have traveled in RVs for over 30 years and will miss the experience. But time catches up with you and forces you to change your lifestyle. We have great memories as do our children. I’m glad we got into motor homing when we did. It is our wish that someone will get the same enjoyment with this coach as we did.
- Robert Hill, Tennessee

2019-08-26 2014 Winnebago Via 25P View Listings

This small classA diesel motorhome is easy to drive, has great fuel economy and abundant storage. Perfect for the travelers that like to visit out of the way spots, the generator and insures you will enjoy your explorations beyond the reach of electric hook-ups. Small enough to fit tight spots but large enough to be comfortable it would be the perfect unit for those looking to down-size. Powerful enough to comfortably tow a car, you can shop or sightsee while leaving the motorhome parked. A thoughtful addition to Winnebagos line.
- Larry Northup, Iowa

2019-08-21 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z View Listings

We have owned the RV since 08 bought it brand new, we have used it 2x a year. Put tires on it all around last year. RV has been stored under cover since purchased. Never have had problems with RV. Has brand new 2 recliners. Has washer & dryer, surround sound system with satellite TV.
- York, Kentucky

2019-08-14 2008 Winnebago Journey 37H View Listings

Purchased in 2010 as a new unit, been completely satisfied in size, handling and mobility. Looking to sell to get a new unit. Not a lot of bells and whistles on unit so there was nothing to break down. Towing was a breeze 37 feet is very easy to move around in.
- W Smith, New Brunswick

2019-08-12 2017 Winnebago Forza 36G View Listings

Outstanding customer service at Winnebago and Freightliner. Easy to drive, good visibility, great comfort all around. Unit is well balanced, but the automatic leveling and retracting seems a bit slow.
- JIM BROCKMANN, Indiana