Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite Reviews on RV Insider (59)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Bonnie R. from Washington says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

We bought this motorhome brand new off the lot from dealerin Burlington, WA. We are on our first trip and as soon as it rained, water poured from around the closed vent near the stove & soaked the floor around the seating area and ran down toward the cab. Finally stopped raining & all was well while it wasn’t raining. Came back into Wash with a downpour and water gushed in from under the seating area only. 5 large swim towels later & it is still coming out. Very disappointed in the quality. Thought Thor would be a good choice. Handles well & everything else is working but this horrible leak has us terrified & the horror stories about Thor warranty work isn’t helping.
- Bonnie R., Washington

2020-07-07 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

4 trips and every one cut short for a Catastrophic failure. Spent more time being towed for repair than driven. Shower leak twice. Refrigerator coolant pipe burst. Wouldn’t start after stopping in NM leaving us stranded in the middle of nowhere. Worse of all it has a tendency to Stall on us when making a sharp turn.
- Tim, Texas

2020-07-05 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

The sprinter chassis is great but the tge Thor coach is built like garbage. Examples. My niece put her 25lb back pack on the dining table and the table came off the wall. The AC was not cooling and ceiling was opened the ducts were not connected. The rear camera was not wired to the right connection so not working. Underneath many wires hanging down with many left over dead wires to what on a new vehicle?? Kitchen sink now leaking from inside the floor. Gasket between fllir and chassis not placed to work. Most hanging out. These people hate their jobs or Thor itself. Had 1 year warranty but took it in twice which took 7 months waiting off of it. Thor and Camping World are terrible
- Raymond Chladny, Florida

2020-06-13 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

THERE HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEMS WITH THE THOR 26he MOTOR HOME. I'V MADE THREE TRIPS AND THE PERFORMANCE WAS JUST LIKE THE MANUFACTURE SAID. ALL TANKS FRESH, GREY AND BLACK WORK LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO. REFRIGERATOR AND STOVE WORK GREAT.
- JAKE THOMAS, Pennsylvania

2020-06-10 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

We purchased our 26HE at year end 2018. Got a great price ! What a great floorplan! We love it. The Positives - Great appearance , spacious bathroom, queen size bed, refrigerator/freezer, ducted air conditioning & heat, microwave, Big TV, Ford Chassis with powerful V-10 Gas Engine, and a 4000 Watt on-board Cummins Generator. EXCELLENT, GREAT, FABULOUS SERVICE MANAGER AT CAMPING WORLD. The Negatives - Furnace control board failed in the first month. Steering / Handling is an absolute HORROR! Had to spend $600 to have a steering stabilizer installed! Front wing boards not sealed, cheap wood and rotted. Vehicle suspension inadequate for the RV, leans dramatically on the driver's side ( slide out, propane tank, generator, kitchen all mounted on the driver side while right side has the sofa and bathroom only (unbalance weight load). Awning lights failed in first year. No Spare Tire or Jack. Formica kitchen and bath tops already peeling off. No stabilizers on the RV (even though they are advertised as standard equipment). TV stopped working 3 months after buying the RV. Generator has 85 hours on it when it was delivered. I have to admit that our dealer's service manager did everything possible to facilitate repairs. Thor's re-action to warranty requests were consistently unreasonably slow according to the dealer, and caused considerable delay in receiving repair authorizations. That said, Thor did authorize rear spring modification to equalize the weight in-balance issue , authorized repairs to the furnace, and wingboard replacement, and reimbursed us for the Television. We traveled 19,000 miles in our first year, visiting 37 States and 3 Canadian Provinces, and enjoyed every minute of our trips. In my opinion, as an entry class, relatively inexpensive RV, the Freedom Elite is a good RV to own. I do believe that Thor should build the 26HE model on a E-450 chassis since the E-350 with the model 26 RV, does not afford adequate weight capacity for cargo and passengers. Additionally , Thor should furnish ALL Rv's with heavy duty steering stabilizers and front and rear sway bars. The customer should not have to figure out why their brand new RV is all over the road, and then spend over $1000 to upgrade the steering and suspension to accommodate the heavy RV body. The selling dealer is at fault for not revealing these issues at point of sale and is creating a dis-service to his customer by this omission. The many, many, bad reviews by customers, could be avoided if the warranty authorization process was streamlined, dealer salespeople were more honest in their presentation, and improved quality control by the manufacturer implemented. I can tell you that I for one, would have no problem paying a reasonably higher price for the RV, if the steering, suspension, and quality issues were all addressed at the factory prior to sale.
- Stephen Cosgriff, Florida

2020-06-04 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

Why I wouldn't advise buying a Freedom Elite from Camping World: This is regarding the customer service from Camping World and Thor's unwillingness to stand behind their product. we purchased a Freedom Elite 26HE motor coach new in January of 2017 from Camping World in Saukville Wisconsin. We are extremely dissatisfied with the customer service from Camping World. Our first concerns came to light when we purchased the motor home. We had looked at the coach at the RV show in Milwaukee February of 2017. We liked the layout of the 26HE and decided to purchase one. We noticed several deficiencies with the display model and were assured that we would get a new one that was identical from Saukville. The display model was from the Madison Camping World. When we arrived at Saukville Camping World and finished all the paperwork, we discovered the RV we were being sold was the same display model with a Saukville Camping World sticker over the Madison sticker. Red flag number one. We pointed out all the deficiencies we noticed at the RV show and were assured all the issues would be fixed. One of the issues was a seal that was on the overhead cap. Red flag number 2. We had the RV serviced at Camping World Saukville off and on from February 2017 to July 2017 with warranty issues. One issue was with an electrical relay that almost started the RV on fire. Another issue was a screw that during the manufacturing process had been driven through the fiberglass portion if the roof near the roof access ladder. Although this issue was fixed, it was also apparently made to look worse than it was by a technician at Camping World who drew pencil marks around the screw in the shape of spider cracks. I can only think that this was done to exaggerate the damage to get the manufacturer (Thor) to foot the bill? Red flag number 3. The employee who attempted to fix the seal on the overhead cap dripped sealant and caulking all over the front hood. I spent a couple of hours cleaning it up. We used the RV during 2018 season without incident. During the 2019 season We noticed on the inside of the cap the right wall was delaminating due to a water leak. We also noticed water leaking from the cab roof over the passenger seat. The RV was taken to a local RV repair shop who initially couldn’t find a leak. I then removed the cushions from the overhead bed, and it was discovered that the wood was rotting, and mold had started. They suggested we take the RV back to the dealer (Camping World) and advise. We dropped the RV off on Dec 2nd, 2019 at Camping World, Saukville WI. Since the RV has been dropped off, I had called Camping World at least 7 times and had stopped in once in person requesting updates. The service department had promised to call me back with updates on numerous occasions and had not done so. I called and left a message for the service manager to call me Friday, February 28th, 2020. After talking to Camping World Corporate and sending a letter regarding our concerns, I finally got a call back. On March 11th I received a call from the service department stating they found the leak, that it was under the right-side screw track on the overhead cap. They stated the seal had failed and caused the damage estimated at $7,700. I initiated a claim with the extended Camping World Warranty we had purchased. The claim was denied because it did not cover leaks or leak damage. I then called Thor and asked that they help cover the cost of repairs as I believed the motor home was not properly sealed from the factory, and the location the leak occurred was not one that could have been found through routine maintenance by the owner or service shops. Thor stated that the motor home was out of warranty, and that the manufacture warranty only covered seals for 3 months. I stated that a three-month warranty was not a warranty at all, and that apparently Thor must expect that their products are inherently defective. On April 28th, 2020 I received a call from Camping World stating they had found damage to the fiberglass wall next to a window that had to be removed to fix the water damage. The estimate was approximately $900. I asked how the new damage occurred, since I did not see this damage prior to dropping off the vehicle. They could not explain how the damage had occurred. It’s June 4th, 2020 as of this posting and we are still waiting on our RV. Half a year! We have used our motorhome only 8 times since we purchased it, putting around 15,000 miles on it. We keep it covered during winter storage. This is our second Thor RV from Camping World, and I have to say at this time we are not satisfied at all with Camping World, or Thor motor homes.
- Kevin Walz, Wisconsin

2020-06-02 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22HEC View Listings

finding things like broken drawer, trim falling off inside , had to glue it , had to replace drawer latch ,i decided to replace the rear tail lamps with led , really glad i did , i found both rear tail lamps did not have the gasket on correctly and rain was seeping in around both lights , also they used 4 different screws on the lamps , 6 were stripped out , i replaced with all stainless screws , every where you open a concealed area , i found sawdust and wood chipping , where is the quality control during the building of this unit , its like they threw it together , never will buy a thor again after this
- JLEFEVER, Maryland

2020-06-01 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 29FE View Listings

This is a great unit. Very easy to drive. Big enough to stay in but small enough to get around in when driving. Just right for two, but enough room to bring the kids or grandkids. This unit has never been smoked in. It has a receiver hitch and we have pulled a boat with it. The back up camera is great for watching behind when going down the road or backing up. It is set up for a satalite receiver for the TV's. The top rung of the ladder is bent due to a low hanging tree limb. This is overall a good unit but due to family problems we need to sell.
- Ray Keener, Texas

2020-05-11 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24HE View Listings

Absolute horrible craftsmanship and planning. The front seat hits the slide out trim. I am only 5’8” tall! Stupid design. The plumbing runs between the floor and the under carriage. I need to figure out what to take off the bottom of the rig to expose it. Looking at it for a few minutes I see no way to expose the plumbing. The book they give you on this $72,000.00 RV is crap that shows next to no relevant information on this unit. It is a generic book that basically says yes you bought a Thor Piece of Crap. The vinyl trim on the exterior started falling out immediately, I had to duct tape it to drive home. The table was warped the day we bought it. The hot water heater never worked properly. After six months owning it and only 2000 miles the water has low pressure on the cold side and almost no water flow at all in the hot side. Through further investigation the valves on the hot water tank were not correctly set, from the factory. You have to remove the screws to pull the seat apart to expose the by pass valves. The plumbing in the rear hangs so low it drags frequently on normal paved roads. I am confident it will break soon and I will have to try and figure out a better way to route it. I am the original owner. I brought it back to Camping World in Vacaville California and they kept it for 60 days and did nothing. When I started pushing them they said it was ready to pick up. When I went to get it the only thing they fixed (poorly) was they put wood filler in some of the nail holes they missed. Stay away from Thor and stay away from Camping World!
- Dan Marlow, California

2020-03-06 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Purchased May 2019–had refrigerator leak, vinyl flooring came up, shower leaks, wall behind stove not properly attached, 2 tire blowouts under 10k miles, a/c issues x2 first time under 3 weeks purchased, bunkhouse slide out not working, poor quality and very poor workmanship. DO NOT BUY this type of unit.
- Mike Mitchell, Georgia

2020-02-26 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Between Thor and their coconspirators at Camping World this has been the worst mistake I’ve ever made. Horrible workmanship and terrible service. Based on my personal experience, I would never recommend either Thor products or Camping World sales and service. I cant wait to get rid of it !
- M Bartholomew , Florida

2020-02-11 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I purchased my rv in Chattanooga Tn I have had many problems as described in another review but one that has been bugging me every since I purchased it was A water leak in the bed room always water on the floor when I open the slide had checked wit no results after watching I noticed the rain gutter strip is too short and lets all water run in the top corner of slide I found that A tube 5/16 in dia can be slid inside of gutter and will extend it past the slide joint,I just wish there was A rv service that had trained employees or that gave A crap about customers after sales.
- Wayne Marsh, Tennessee

2020-02-08 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

When we first bought this motorhome (new) we were originally thrilled. The floor plan worked well for our purposes and had decent storage. Knowing there would be some kinks to work out, we didn’t have unreasonable expectations. However, the list of unnecessary repairs, all due to poor manufacturing and lack of quality control, became overwhelming. The first, crossed and incorrect wiring, which stranded us in BLM land without a house battery was especially enjoyable. The rubber strip that seals the unit became unglued the first month while driving down the road, flapping and stripping more away until we could pull over and duct tape it. The shower bar cracked for zero reason. The absolute last straw was the fact that they literally did not seal the undercarriage at all. We discovered this while driving through a rainstorm and water flooded through the flooring. We immediately had it repaired, but unfortunately it became delaminated. Thor refuses to repair the unit and it happened while under warranty. To properly repair, it will cost several thousand dollars. It rolled off the floor defective and Thor won’t acknowledge their mistake. I will never again buy a Thor motorhome.
- MB Tomaszewski , Kentucky

2020-01-29 2014 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22E View Listings

This is our first motor home as we have been RVing for 30plus years in a 5th wheel, tag a long and cab over insert. I was impressed with the size as it is easy to drive, gets good fuel economy (11mpg average with Chevy engine)and is comfortable. It took three years to get all the “gigs” out of the house. Water leaks being the most problem. Had a leak in the wall from the shower and had to remove 5he entire shower assembly to discover there was a bad piece of water pipe that needed replaced. Fortunately I purchased the extended warrantee and it paid for the majority of the repairs, On one trip I got a check engine light, reduced engine power and could hardly drive the vehicle up a small grade. Fortunately for me there was a Commercial Chevy dealer near by and the problem was corrected after an overnight stay. It seems that a rain deflector that is not to be removed was missing and caused the main circuit panel to flood. It was obviously removed by Thor as Chevy would not remove it. Also there was no cover on the generator door causing it to overheat. Fortunately no damage was done other than a slight ripple on the inside of the compartment door. This RV was suppose to be inspected prior to leaving the factory and prior to being accepted at the dealership so I wonder if the inspectors knew what they were inspecting. Like a lot of other folks have mentioned, the interior is made out of particle board and at the slightest bit of water they get ruined. If they would spend a few dollars more and use wood where there is a possibility of water, it would save a lot or repair and time. As for Camping World, I can say that they took care of 5he problems and have no complaints about the service. It did take some time to get the repairs completed but they were always busy and their shop full. Now I noticed that there is some delamination taking place and it appears that the sidewalks are made poorly. I have had someone look into it and the only thing they think is that the sidewall lack sufficient glue. I check and reseal as necessary on a yearly basis so it is not because of poor preventive maintenance on the RV. The only thing must be shoddy workmanship. In conclusion, I would think twice about purchasing a Thor Freedom Elite motor home. As for Camping World, I think it depends on the actual dealership and where it is located. I purchased and had my RV serviced at Akron, Ohio Camping World!!
- Robert Schurr, West Virginia

2019-12-12 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

I have had 3 trips and 3 problems. First the sink was not connected to the drain so first time water filled a draw and all over the floor. Second trip the battery in Mercedes went dead and had to have a jump and new battery. Third trip the coach battery is dead and Thor and Camping World don't want to replace after I only had it 3 months. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THOR OR CAMPING WORLD. Both are rip off!!!!
- Jon Taylor, Kentucky

2019-12-08 2016 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 29FE View Listings

It would be ok if the manufacturer wouldn't skimp on interior trim. Had to take it in to get the draw rails in the bedroom draws reattached. They did a crap job. Ended up repairing them myself. Come on Thor. One small screw on rail brackets won't do it. Do not like cheap paper trim on cheap particle board. Battery cage is open and not protected from road debris. Lost both batteries from rocks. This caused the 12 power converter to burn out. Couldn't operate the slide outs or use interior lights. Fortunately, still had 110 volt. It's just made cheap. Total cost for the batteries and converter, 735.00. Not a happy camper...
- Dave, Virginia

2019-12-03 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Ordered parts for our RV. I had to go through a Dealer so I chose Total Value RV out of Elkhart, IN. I received the total of around $1695.39 plus shipping cost so I agree (thinking $200 max) When I received alert for my credit card was charged $2533.26. So that is $837.87 shipping.... Really, Im so disappointed in this company Thor. So to others out there.... Beware, Very dishonest company. They can make money off product. I dont think they need to gouge consumer
- Brent VL, Ohio

2019-11-25 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22HE View Listings

We did not have time to fully enjoy this RV. Used 3 times and enjoyed the size after downsizing when kids had moved on. Wife got ill and don't think we will have much future use of it. Sorry to let it go. Ford engine has lots of power. Comfortable to drive and easy to park and set up. Roomy bath and shower. No pull out. Queen bed, large convertible table to bed. Bunk bed over cab. Can sleep 6. Set up for wifi and satellite TV. Blue ray recorder. Electric patio awning with LED lighting.
- KEN CORNER, Louisiana

2019-11-23 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

We purchased this motor home new in 2017. This is our second Thor product. The first one was a 2015. I should have known better. While there were issues with the first one, I actually had more issues with the dealership and their service than I did with that RV. So the 2017 We bought new from a different dealership. Worse service and the quality of the 2017 26HE is horrid. Particle board furniture that falls apart the minute it gets wet, workmanship of either crack heads or 4 year olds, and seals that are defective. It almost burned up the first year because of a defective relay switch under the dinette! I have mold all throughout the over cab bunk because the manufacturer failed to effectively seal the cab roof seal to the overhead bunk. the mold and water damage is not covered by the extended warranty, which covers nothing that can actually go wrong with the coach. Don't buy the extended warranty! The only solid part of the whole RV is the Ford E450 Chassis. I have 15,000 miles on it.
- Kevin Walz, Wisconsin

2019-11-22 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22HEC View Listings

It drives great and I like that there is less noise and rumble in the back area without any slides but its nice and roomy. It shifts nice too. I don't tow with it. Mine has the Chevy engine not the Ford Engine. I wish the seats were leather so more washable since I spill a lot of coffee on my trips. I like all the USB charge ports in each room - very helpful with all our phones. I like that the radio has a remote for the people in the back to control with speaker controls. Bigger than expected TV. The tv hangs a little low so you'll need to adjust that in the back of it if you need to put sheets on in the bunk area. Glad the frig is still electric or propane with locking clips - some other new units its just electric now with no locking clips. Lighting is really nice inside - better than expected and speakers are in good locations in the sitting area out of the way. I like the new adjustable height table - never had that before - its easy to adjust too - no pinching clips. A lot of built ins that I didn't expect like a place for remotes too. What would I have added - would have been nice to test out solar panels free since its wired for it. What is annoying - the weird door on the sewer pipe - maybe its to protect from the elements. I like that everything is higher on the unit so pulling into angled driveways is nice. Also, I wish the all the switches at the front door had labels - I keep opening the awning instead of turning on the lights - I may swap out that switch for a different color so I can tell the difference. Factory support - reported issues with the backsplash in the bathroom - schedule that to get done after my vacation.
- Mary DeVlugt, Texas

2019-11-02 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Easier to drive than most and parks in a regular pull thru space. Nice to have bed made and ready when you pull up to camp. Large refrigerator/freezer, real metal double sink (most RVs now have just a round plastic sink and we wonder how they plan to wash dishes in it as it is so small.) Great to have 3 burner stove, oven and generator. The bath is a nice size even for tall people. Easy care vinyl floor so very easy to keep clean. Driver/passenger seats are comfy with lots of storage, cup holders, visors, etc. Very livable and great power. So glad we didn't get one of the long RVs that make it difficult to go anywhere in them. This one is easy to disconnect water, sewer and electric to sight see.
- Marie Day, Virginia

2019-10-29 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

Was lied to right from the start about every thing. Encouraged me to buy worthless extras worth additional 9 thousand dollars. Lied about the ford warrantied. Every thing you go to Dealer to be fixed they send you to Ford and vise versa. Neither will warrant the work nor fix it. This is the worse investment in fun you will ever buy. Time share may be worth more. Can't sell it as no body would ever buy it. Real piece of crap. Our 's is financed for 12 years but will be long junked in about 3 years. Think twice before wasting your money. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.352-495-3465
- kippersnack01, Florida

2019-10-27 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

BEWARE! Very poor quality product!! This unit has been in the shop more than we have had it!! Imagine making payments on something you can’t use!! Only 5 months old and we have had nothing but trouble starting day one! Roof leak, toilet leak, microwave falling out, trim peeling off while driving down the road, decals bubbling, battery died. Saddest part Thor (the manufacturer) could care less! Customer service is non-existent except for the fake sympathy they use to get rid of you. Biggest mistake we have ever made purchasing a product. Not only defective, but we were concerned about our safety!! Do yourself a favor and do not waste your hard-earned money!!
- R Turley, Alabama

2019-10-10 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

We love the rv but had lots of trouble with small details the converter caught on fire during the night left us high and dry,just behind the cab the plywood was rotted needs marine grade wood had dealer repair but caulking does not work rear storage all rotted at bottom this is the 2nd Thor I have purchased but I know that it is no use to go to the dealer for repairs I installed L frame around bottom of storage compartment and connected to good wood sewer hose hangers fell down which was screwed into rotten wood I installer proper hangers worried as to how long it will be before the floors are rotted out.Tie wraps hanging down wires under rv hanging which I repaired.I love this rv but the under side is poor and no sign of quality on the under side.
- Wayne Marsh, Tennessee

2019-09-25 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Seems everything Ford made or assembled is good. As for the Third part... a LOT is lacking. In my opinion the layout is very accommodating for my wife and myself. Probably would be fine with a few small kids too. Owned the RV for a few months now... Since purchasing I have had to replace the refrigerator controller, the television, the seal around the slide, one of the vent fan motors. I also had to fix the house battery holding tray. The hold downs were never installed and the batteries would slide backwards into the master circuit breaker effectively killing all power to the house. That was a real factory blunder!! Now I am trying to install solar and a controller onto the prewired roof connector. I contacted Thor to find out where the prewired was inside the coach and was told it is in the panel under the bed. I opened the panel and was very sad to discover the absolutely horrible hack wiring job in my rv. Thor literally delivered a fire hazard to me. My entire wiring inside that panel is nothing short of disgusting. I am unable to use my rv now until I fix that mess and make it safe for my family. Lastly, I stumbled onto this by mistake. I found the gasoline fuel line that feeds the generator literally loose and drooping down much lower than the chassis frame. All it would have taken to snag that line on road debris and pull it off, resulting in raw gasoline being spewed under my coach. No, it did not happen and I made sure that never will but it is another reference to the absolutely horrible quality Thor puts into building their coaches. It would seem to me that with just a few more minutes and a real quality control check, the result would pay significant dividend. Yes, I have contacted Thor customer service a few days back and gave yet to hear from anyone. I am not holding my breath that I ever will. I know it is of little consolation but I am pulling all Thor stickers off my rv. I will not advertise for them - they did not earn that in my mind.
- John Cee, California