Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite Reviews on RV Insider (83)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Bonnie R. from Washington says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

We bought this motorhome brand new off the lot from dealerin Burlington, WA. We are on our first trip and as soon as it rained, water poured from around the closed vent near the stove & soaked the floor around the seating area and ran down toward the cab. Finally stopped raining & all was well while it wasn’t raining. Came back into Wash with a downpour and water gushed in from under the seating area only. 5 large swim towels later & it is still coming out. Very disappointed in the quality. Thought Thor would be a good choice. Handles well & everything else is working but this horrible leak has us terrified & the horror stories about Thor warranty work isn’t helping.
- Bonnie R., Washington

2021-04-09 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I have camped for 45 years from tent to motor home. This model is very good for camping. Gglampers need a bigger rig with a fire place. Heated recliner and the works. Ford F-350 is very powerful v10 and handles well. Bed is comfortable. Dinette is good and bath is big for size of vehicle. Good luck campers !!!!!😀😀
- Chris, New Jersey

2021-04-04 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Overall quality is poor. I've had issues with the slides, cabinets and radio. For the price range the chassis is on the low end as well only has one lighter adapter and lacks power mirrors. It does Drive good has good power and tows good as well. I would not recommend this unit do anybody for the price range. I have contacted the factory Representatives on a couple of occasions they are super professional and helpful. But still would not recommend this unit.
- JD, Arizona

2021-03-25 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I've written on here before - recalls, no parts to fix ESC etc BUT the main issue? being told it was a new 2019 - the actual engine is 2017 We would've never purchased it...two years depreciation driving away in our newRV! Very hard lesson - no where was 2017 written on paperwork - we felt cheated and totally violated And still can't drive it due to no part to fix it Purchased Camping World Redding CA - They are not a worthy seller as the truth escapes them
- Ruth Kurpinsky, California

2021-03-14 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

Purchased in 2019 80,000$ First recall and now second recall re : ESP rear brakes Can crash AND no parts available to fix it. Covid happened so low mileage We were leaving next week for extended trip Obviously not going RV can not be fixed... Applying for Lemon Law
- Ruth Kurpinsky, California

2021-03-13 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I researched options for 2 years. Rented RV’s, looked at options ranging from pop ups, van conversions, class A’s large and small, and class C’s. In 2019 at the Denver RV show we found a deal on a new Class C, 24’ that fit our needs (and budget). I’m glad I didn’t pass it up. We have no interest in living full time in any RV, regardless of size, full time. I got my RV to explore / camp, be comfortable, off the ground dry, warm or cool, and to have some comforts of home while “camping”. We’ve had the RV for 2 years and haven’t had any problems. The Ford E350 with the Triton V10 is awesome. We live in the Rocky Mountain area so we drive in the mountains often. For the 2 of us and 2 dogs (large) it has worked out perfect for what we bought it for - to have fun.
- T Hanson, Colorado

2021-03-11 2016 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 28H View Listings

This motor home is in perfect like new condition. It only has 8,600 miles. It is very easy to drive. I am a 73 year old small lady and I drive, park and set it up. I lost my husband 3 years ago and just don't enjoy camping alone.
- Ruthie Carson, Arkansas

2021-02-20 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Bought new had leaks from roof repaired under warranty by camping world THREE (3) TIMES before getting it right. Then took on trip an sure enough another leak around dinette area and front drivers seat. Camping world could not determine problem. I finally found the leak myself by using a water hose and spraying the RV in 6 foot sections until I found the leak. THE HOT WATER HEATER was never caulked in place and water was running down the side and into the RV under the dinette area. Finally. got it repaired by Camping World after I found the problem and showed the maintenance people luckily it was still under warranty. A year after purchase the third light with backup camera burned out and had to be replaced and now it was out of warranty!!!!! Howevewr, it runs great! and NOW it is as it should have been when it came from the MFGR.
- lbear, New York

2021-01-17 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

For an entry level RV this unit does very well. Handling down the road is car like and it pulls a trailer loaded with a Gator with ease.Fuel economy with the Mercedes diesel is in the 13/14 mpg and will run all day on interstate. The well planned out interior is very livable and I'd recommend it to the couple or small family looking to get away.
- Richard Wheat, Virginia

2021-01-17 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I had decided to purchase this RV because it has All my bells and whistles. It's So cute! Found a used one at a great price, but after reading all the comments, am petrified to purchase! I can imagine getting stuck somewhere, a senior citizen, and not knowing what, or how to repair anything! First, I feel I will need to find a reliable repair service before purchase! The 22FE is the RV of my dreams, just the right size for me- 24ft, I can't let these comments deter me! Thor and Camping World, u have a beautiful product. Please Honor your warranties and TEACH the service people what they need to know! I am a potential buyer, I Really love this RV! STEP UP, so I can purchase, PLEASE.
- saharajj23, Tennessee

2021-01-11 2017 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 32FE View Listings

This is the perfect RV for families! This perfect, like new RV has everything you need. Bunk bed that turns into a dinette, Oven, 5tvs (outdoor tv too), outdoor shower, tons of storage and a wifi extender and wifi booster included. This RV will also come with all of our accessories included as we don't need them!
- kyrahennessey, California

2021-01-04 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Handles like a SUV on the highway. Low end torque is better than the big Ford engines on our previous motor homes. And it comes with GPS and n incredible stereo system. Gas economy is 2 1/2 times better than my gas motor home! The induction cooktop and LED lighting make dry camping possible because it does not tax the batteries like older motor homes.
- Joanne Powell, Arizona

2020-12-09 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

I have had this coach for 3 plus years and cannot complain too much. The only major issue I had was the auto step was wired wrong and quit working but resolved by the local RV shop. Camping World had it for two weeks and when I git home still wouldn’t work, Other than the shoddy workmanship and intermittent hot water I have many good trips problem free. Keep a bottle of Elmer’s Glue handy and a tool kit. The cab and chassis have been excellent. 20 K miles. Tow a Mini Cooper and average @ 14 MPG
- Pete Albanese, California

2020-10-17 2011 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 28U View Listings

This vehicle has a great living space with slide in, including walk around bed in back. It has lots of underneath and inside storage which is easy to access. It has a privacy door to bedroom and curtain for separating bathroom area, so essentially can be divided into 3 separate areas for privacy. Top bunk may have custom mattress placed over drivers cabin and has privacy curtain also. The u-shaped dinette allows for a bigger sleep space when needed and larger more comfortable eating space or seating for traveling. The floorplan is very comfortable with traveling and sleeping 6 people easily as stated. The length is small enough for those who have never driven an RV and easy to drive. This vehicle is able to fit most RV park lots with a length of 29 foot. It is also easy to tow your car on the back and add bike racks. They do not make this vehicle model any longer unfortunately which makes it a rare find.
- Jessica, Texas

2020-10-06 2021 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

We purchased a 2021 Magnitude 3 months ago. We were only able to use it once because its been in the shop most of the time. Issues were the front AC. The refrigerator doesn't work. Dealer keeps fixing it but only lasts a week before it goes out again. Door steps getting stuck and doesn't pull back in. Fuel tank takes over 30 minutes plus to fill. We have had to cancel numerous trips and vacations because of these problems. Our motorhome has been at Dixie RV in Breaux Bridge, LA more than it is with us. It has been a very frustrating experience because these problems are not being resolved by the dealer or Thor manufacturer.
- Savann Mok, Louisiana

2020-09-24 2021 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Just bought it a few days ago. It’s our first RV. It doesn’t have a convection/ microwave oven when was told it would have. It’s just a microwave. How am I suppose to cook for my family? Plus there’s no regular oven. It also has no jacks. I would appreciate at least an oven to cook, which I do have at home. I don’t eat out. So,What kind of enjoyment do you expect will come when on the road. I will never recommend a Thor to anyone. I would tell people make sure it has everything they promised you before you buy it. I’m so unhappy, I rather just park it! So much for traveling around our beautiful country.
- Gina, Florida

2020-09-19 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

Motorhome has been a disaster since I bought it. I bought it about 6 hours from my home and did not make it home before I got stranded. Dealer said it was not their problem. Thor apologized but did nothing to repair. It has been in for warranty 3 times in the first year. I have had for 15 months and it is in for repairs again. Quality of workmanship is terrible and a warranty is only as good as the company that issued it. My experience is that both Thor and Camping World only stand behind warranty for the simplest of things. Both Thor and Camping World should be avoided.
- David Sherritze, Florida

2020-09-03 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

When I picked it up they were working on the generator and could not get it working. Camping World told me to call for appointment tomorrow and bring it back. I called back and was told they don’t work on generators. First time camping no hot water, slides leaked. It was in being repair most the first season. Several other thing needed repair. Never got sides fixed. Traded this lemon and got other Thor and in has been in the repair shop more than I used it. Still waiting on parts (7 months). I will never buy a Thor product again.
- Gerald Barnes, Ohio

2020-08-30 2021 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

The 2021 Thor Freedom Elite is our second RV. When we paid the price for this new motorhome we realized we weren’t buying a Cadillac, but we didn’t expect to buy a VW Thing.” Let me preface my observations by saying that we did not trade in our 1996 Itasca Suncruiser because Camping World refused to take any trade-in RVs prior to 2000. I am so grateful we did not trade it in because right now, stranded in the middle of the Arizona desert, with virtually no help from Thor, we wished we had taken the 1996 Itasca instead of this 2021 Thor RV made from popsicle sticks and glue. Without any embellishment whatsoever I can honestly say that after 11,000 miles on this RV in just 2-months everything has malfunctioned right down to the broken zipper on the briefcase full of the warranty documents. We are currently stranded because a Thor “ask-a-tech” support mechanic told us that the parts we found lying under the generator were “apparently not tighten correctly“ which led to mounting feet and brackets of the generator to literally break off from the block. Good Sam will gladly tow our vehicle however they won’t touch anything because it might void the warranty from Thor. After calling Thor for The third time I was told that any outside mechanic performing necessary Workmanship to our vehicle would not ruin the warranty. Unfortunately the person I spoke to before him, a mature intelligent woman, said the total opposite. Luckily I purchased the emergency option with my warranty so Thor can eventually show up with a tow truck to tow my vehicle to the nearest authorized dealer for repairs and accommodate me and my bride during this inconvenience. That doesn’t however cover the cost of boarding my two dogs. In the meantime I wait for Thor to open up Monday morning (with very shortened business hours) to rescue us from the middle of the desert in the middle of summer. With all four parts that we have found broken off of the generator our best advice has been to “stay in place” so that you don’t further damage the unit. That advice came from someone who didn’t work for Thor or Camping World. Here are just some of the things that have been going wrong with this vehicle since our purchase in July of this year. All of these problems occurred while we were on a vacation; A plumbing leak in the wall, later identified as having a piece of yellow tape near the leak hole. Then, after this leak was fixed we made it 150 miles down the road before noticing another pinhole leak in the middle of a brand new hose that was installed at Camping World. Vacation once again interrupted as we drove to another Camping World outside of Atlanta to have this piece of hose replaced. By the way both leaks caused extensive damage to the RV and our property. We have been waiting since July to hear about the new wall, control board, Trim and other parts of the vehicle covered under the warranty. Camping World told us 6 to 8 weeks, BS! One final note on the plumbing issues. After fixing the pinhole on a plumbing hose we found inside the wall, a Camping World genius unhooked our oven and never hooked it Back up! We didn’t notice that problem until we were three days out from our East Coast home headed to the West Coast. The poorly constructed handle on the refrigerator had now broken twice. Whoever designed this was obviously a mental midget. From the start, the USB outlets, located conveniently throughout the vehicle, were shorting out depending upon which way you moved your cord, and we tried many cords. After explaining the problem to Camping World they told us that all USB outlets were checked and there were no problems, BS! Every handle on every cabinet and drawer was designed by an expert in torture. Each handle is sharp enough to rip open your skin with the slightest pass as all four corners of the handle are sharp as a knife. Anytime we slip Or lose balance we look for these handles so we aren’t killed. The main door design for the RV must’ve been an afterthought on a late Friday afternoon. Because there are no sliding steps, the door is positioned 6 inches closer to the pavement than any other part of the vehicle thus giving you quite a jolt if you hit a pothole at the wrong time and place. Yes, it’s scrapes and scratches on every little bump you go over. Maybe that’s why our main side door to the Thor Freedom Elite has twice locked us out. Yes, with all locks open and the only way to lock the vehicle is with a key we have been locked out twice because the door does not fit correctly. BTW, Thor Forgot to install the carbon dioxide detector.I could go on and on with the problems we have had with this vehicle which we will sell as soon as the warranty fixes the 50 things currently Wrong. When we finally do make it back to our home I’m going straight over to storage and give my 1996 Itasca a hug. Do not be fooled by what anybody tells you. This 2021 Thor freedom elite is a rolling deathtrap and I urge you never Make the mistake we did. I purchased from Camping World; after writing my review we experienced half of our air-conditioning system malfunctioning in the main living quarters. Upon return home we immediately took the RV to Camping World in North Charleston,SC. I gave them the lengthy list of problems and was greeted with empathy and concern however it’s now been two weeks since my service appointment and I have been unable to make contact with anyone in service, Even after leaving multiple messages. I was given the service managers name and eventually made it through to his secretary who informed me that the service manager does not respond to customers, his assistants do, Even though his voicemail says that “if you’re not satisfied I’m not satisfied. I’m here to help you make it right.“ So here we sit in limbo not knowing the status of our RV and Still not getting any satisfaction from Thors corporate office. I do not recommend buying any product from Thor and, after initially being treated like gold by Camping World, do not recommend purchasing an RV from this company.
- Ken, South Carolina

2020-08-13 2021 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Just bought a 2021. Haven't used it much yet so hopefully I don't have to come back and change this. I thought it drove really well. Hard to get a house not to have some rattle, but on the freeway it was quiet as could be. Love the layout, the color scheme the LED soft white lights EVERYWHERE. Some you can turn on for ambient soft lighting at night. Some typical poor construction of trim work and TV's. Lots of nails, poor joints, etc. But seems to be the norm now unless spend $1M. The bunk TV didn't pull out so you could put in a DVD. Dumb, but fixable stuff. Love the new 2021 Dash where they finally changed the steering wheel after 20 years.
- Justin Woodward, Utah

2020-08-09 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Overall I am very happy with the coach considering I knew that I was not purchasing a high end brand. Issues related to Thor: Vehicle had a right fender well liner that was loose and jagged. Dead USB port over dinette. Incorrectly spliced wire for step light. Door deadbolt not working. Leak around Hot Water Heater door and intake. Should it have left the factory this way No. Other issues: AC baffle loose. Could be attributed to driving coach. Loose pipe under sink. Could be attributed to driving coach. The Ford part of the equation has been very good. I purchased the coach at Camping World and after seeing their work on the deadbolt never took it back. Thor was very helpful with me in terms of locating another dealer to fix the issues and while it was a hassle they did pay for the work. Overall I know the coach and expect to tighten screws, drawers, do caulking etc...Drive it monthly and exercise the generator. The wait time for repairs is pretty much abysmal for all RV repairs especially if warranty work is necessary. Overall the Thor part has been as expected and I have completed some of the minor repairs myself. I knew that I was not buying an Airstream. My local Camping World was okay to purchase from, but the Service Department is severally lacking in knowledge and helpfulness. I understand that does not apply nationwide.
- Brent Jackson, Oklahoma

2020-08-08 2019 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22HE View Listings

A Lemon. After 30years of service in the ARMY, I Finally wanted to travel. But I can't, because I got me a real Lemon. I spent more time fixing it than traveling. 30year... I think we GI's, deserve better... When someone asked me for my Rv. I answered, get something else, this is a waste of townsends of dollars.
- Ulises , Florida

2020-08-05 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

I just wanted to say that I read all the Reviews for the THOR FREEDOM ELITE 30FE and I am so glad that the buyers of this camper were so honest and forthcoming. The truth prevented me from making a costly purchasing mistake. Based on what I read, I will not be buying any Thor products if they don't care themselves about quality and customer satisfaction. How do they stay in business??!
- David, Kentucky

2020-07-22 2020 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24HE View Listings

LOVE this RV. My wife wanted a motor home that was east to operate, had great living space, nice kitchen, comfortable bed and a usable bathroom. An eclectic awning was a must as well. We enjoy the evenings on our "front porch". The 24 HE more than delivers. We are thrilled with this motorhome. It has lots of storage, ample headroom, sleeps 6 comfortably and even has automatic leveling. It is well ventilated and the creature comforts all over this RV makes you wish you never had to go back home. Dream to operate. Even my wife, who is a pretty petite woman enjoys driving this RV. I can't say that about some other models . . . This is a perfect RV for a family or just a couple who wants to enjoy the great outdoors while being pampered with the great indoors. Highly recommend
- KJ Robinson, Georgia

2020-07-17 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Personally, I will never buy another Thor Motorhome. Within 30 days the countertop started to come apart. I leaned against the drop down side table next to the stove and the hinge crumpled and the table fell off. I securely fastened an oak plank roughly the size of the original table to the cabinet. I replaced the table with a second oak plank and securing it using hinges that are rated to hold 150 lbs. This table seems way more secure than the original table. I had a similar experience with the dinner table. Sporadically the table would come unhooked and collapse. At one point when the table fell the screws were pulled out of the table. Once again I securely fastened an oak plank to the table using a number of screws and glue. I installed a latch to the table to keep it from collapsing again. The air conditioner didn’t work very well right from the start. It barely cooled down the coach. I saw a video on how some manufacturers don’t properly install their AC units. I checked my AC unit and found that it was not properly installed. I implemented the suggested repairs and the air conditioner started working considerably better. However, the unit still doesn’t seem to move enough air through the ducting to cool the unit when the outside temp reached about 85 or so degrees. The large screen TV came with a few pixels that didn’t work. I put the RV in an RV park for about six to ten months. At some point during that time the radio and backup camera stopped working. Another thing that disappoints me is that several of the cabinets seems to have been made using scrap wood and are put in any way they can. I can come up with a few more disappointments, but I am sure you get why I would never neither buy nor recommend a Thor RV.
- Michael Hulsey, Texas