Palomino Columbus Compass Reviews on RV Insider (12)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Palomino Columbus Compass RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Paul S. from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Palomino Columbus Compass 320RSC View Listings

Purchased new 8/2016. After a year of travels throughout the west, we are very satisfied. Very easy to tow and maneuver. Quality build and impressive amenities for the money. Only issue was a separation (~ 1/4" gap) of the roof sealant between the front cap and the rubber roof. Easily corrected at RV shop.
- Paul S., California

2020-09-16 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 377MBC View Listings

Current owner for 2 years and big fan of these trailers. Well made with lots of essential features. Roomy with lots of internal storage. More than enough heating and AC to be comfortable. Having the electric fireplace allows you to use the campground's electric to heat instead of your own propane. Plumbing and waste systems are simple and easy to use. Annual winterization was simple. Electrical system has provided no issues. Mostly LED lighting inside. Slides move easily in and out. Awning is great with full power including LED lighting. These come with G-Rated tires, so they are not the China Bombs you get on the smaller trailers. Tows easily and tracks perfectly. I had a gooseneck ball in my truck already so I swapped out the fifth wheel hitch and installed a Goosebox. Very nice ride and easy to hitch and unhitch. Very large and comfortable shower. Ceramic toilet for easy cleaning. I wish the bathroom sink was a bit bigger, but they are all that small. Very large closet (full width) in Master so plenty of clothing room. Additional wardrobe in Bunk house is nide sized. The master's mattress is a Sealy Destinations which is a really fantastic mattress with a memory foam pillow-top. Best I've ever felt in a trailer. Didn't use the washer/dryer prep so can't speak to that, but that provided another whole closet. Massive under master bed storage for less used items. Ours has been fully waterproof for our full ownership. No water leaks that we know of. Fabric of chairs and sofas not showing signs of wear yet. Residential fridge is huge at 20 cu ft. We never come close to filling it. Nice double bowl sink with removable covers to give you even more working space in kitchen. Doesn't have dishwasher prep, but honestly don't see the need as we quickly wash after each meal. Maxxair fan in kitchen is easy to use and works well to provide fresh air and remove humidity. Hydraulic auto-leveling system is great. Push a button, trailer lifts off hitch. Push another, trailer auto levels. Push another trailer raises back up ready to hitch back up. Push one last button and trailer retracts all levelers. Pretty slick operation. Very stable on 6 levelers. I do carry a simple single jack stand to put under rear bumper...and that stops virtually all the remaining shakes. Don't need those between wheel chocks or even a fifth wheel tripod. Solar prep is included, but we never used it. Wired for Satellite as well as Cable hookup. Really love the StepAbove entry steps. Very wide and stable. At about 12,500 lbs empty, it's average for a 42' fifth wheel, I pulled with a 2500 RAM with a diesel and stayed under limits and had plenty of power when needed. Has a large pass-thru storage area and the front storage holds a lot too if you don't have the generator option (which we do not). Lots of outdoor lighting. Honestly have had no issues with the trailer other than some trim that needed better attachment when we first got it, and fixing that was part of the pre-purchase inspection. We did add slide toppers which are great to reduce heat on the slides in the summer as well as keeping them clean for quick and easy departures. Also upgraded to Disc brakes. The original drums were fine, but I wanted the extra safety the disc provided both for quick stops as well as no-fading on steep downhills. All-in-all, we've had a very good experience with our Compass and would buy another Columbus readily.
- Brian Heck, Ohio

2020-06-18 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 378MBC View Listings

I believe I have a lemon unit. Had this unit since April 2017. Paid cash same day and have had problems since we purchased this unit. Seriously. Can someone please point me in the right direction to talk to someone who can help me on this? Thank you
- Jane, Texas

2020-05-12 2016 Palomino Columbus Compass 320RSC View Listings

Had a number of problems from day one after I factory ordered my unit and received it.Missing items wrong items broken and poor workmanship Complained to dealer got no help Called forest river they promised to make it right never did 3 years even after several failed attempts with a different dealer unable to fix the problems and recommend the manufacturer get involved then they tried to tell me my warranty was us. I told them to bad I have every email where they said they would fix the problem. Long story short I’m taking them to court but knowing what I know know there’s a easier way to get things handled from day one. There may be no lemon law but there is something similar I will be more then happy to help anyone who buys a new trailer how to avoid the head he aches and long waits of service they can’t do that they are just trying to burn up your warranty. They think they have the upper hand and they tried it with me to but they picked the wrong person I will make it my life’s mission now to make sure everyone now knows what I know so no one else has to deal with the same you should be able to buy a rv and enjoy the experience and relax not have to deal with the headaches after because they don’t want to build a good product or stand behind them. Thanks for reading. Rob
- Robert brodeur, Massachusetts

2020-03-23 2017 Palomino Columbus Compass 384RD View Listings

As soon as we took delivery from Camping World on this coach, everything starting falling off the walls, window treatments, covers, TV fell in the floor and shattered, pull cables were too hard to pull, tires wore out in less than 5,000 miles, awning after 2 years tore for no reason at all. Too afraid to take it anywhere with something else going wrong.
- David Akins, South Carolina

2019-11-11 2019 Palomino Columbus Compass F377MBC View Listings

We purchased this 5th wheel for my parents as they had plans to retire and explore the country. Some things happened at work and my Dad has decided not to retire and work another 2 year contract. I have 10 acres of property and so the 5th wheel has never been on the road for a trip. We have made an RV hook up site at my home and the 5th wheel is on my property. It's in great shape and will be a perfect unit for some-one who is looking for a new trailer.
- Jeff Black, California

2019-09-19 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 298RLC View Listings

Great trailer. We have now had for two years. Stay in unit 80+ nights per year. To date issues have been latch on shower door and converter. Both covered under the Columbus 2 year warranty with no issues. This is our secound rv. Quite pleased with both build quality and factory support.
- Dennis , Colorado

2019-08-28 2016 Palomino Columbus Compass 320RSC View Listings

This Coach is absolutely gorgeous, user friendly and well made. They didn't skimp on the quality of their materials or craftsmanship. It's comfortable in the cold, hot and warm climates. I can't say enough about this coach. You will not be disappointed.
- Scott Meyer, Indiana

2019-01-13 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 298RLC View Listings

Great rv. 1 year old no issues so far. Traveling about 5-8000 miles per year. Delivered from factory with several very minor issues that were fixed by dealer before delivery. My wife and I are really enjoying this one.
- Dennis , Colorado

2018-10-18 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 389FLC View Listings

Haven't seen it in person but I can't give a good review because it don't show but a couple pictures of the carpeted living room. For myself I'm not able to vacuum and have always found it to be alot easier no carpet at all. Price range this one should be all season and very nice other parts of living area. I don't think I'd ever buy used again the last one lasted a year before the whole roof leaked so I'm just Leary of buying used.
- Terri, North Carolina

2018-09-11 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 378MBC View Listings

Air conditioners don't work properly have them set on 65 to keep the camper at about 77. Have 3 leaks 2 are in the bedroom. Where one of the light doesnt work anymore due to water leaks from it. The other is from the air conditioning intake over the bed. The other is in the living room area. Only 3 out of the 8 air vents work in the living room. The door the bunk room is falling for the track. Trying to work with the dealership. Forest river hasn't returned phone calls or emails. Have had the unit less at 3 weeks and nothing but problems have happened. This unit I have is a lemon and not being helped at all. Have the emails I have sent and will post them. I ask if the unit could replace and they said to make a service appointment so they could fix it but the water damage is probably worst than I can see. Wouldn't recommend these to anyone.
- Jason C Dalton, Texas

2018-08-15 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 377MBC View Listings

NEVER.... NEVER, NEVER WOULD I EVER consider purchasing one of these units again. The number of complaints are too numerous to list. The furniture is complete garbage. The air conditioner and fridge only work properly if it's not hot outside. It's so cheaply made, the longer I look at things, the more perturbed I get. The worst quality control, by which I mean there couldn't have been any. Chips and scrapes and warped slide outs and off kilter door frames, leaky taps. The list goes on and on. I have to honestly say the only thing I like about this unit in the mattress. I'm gob smacked that is of any value because the rest of the quality... is not any quality at all. This unit could never be hauled. It just wouldn't stand up. We have ours parked. We bought it for floor plan with den/bunk so we could have family. They couldn't sleep in it because the furniture was so bad they had spasms in their backs. They couldn't sit on the couch because it's so poorly made it destroys your back to sit on it. I absolutely hate this RV in every way. It's been a long time since I've been this disappointed in something, but this genuinely gives me potty mouth. We don't know yet if any of this is going to be resolved. We are working with the place that sold it to us. They seem very genuine, but remains to be seen if any of this gets resolved. I'm hopeful only because of the RV place that sold this unit. I'm still writing a review based on the lack of quality in these things. I would never ever recommend this unit to anyone and neither would any of my family that came and tried to visit with us. They all ended up sleeping in the backs of their cars because the furniture in here was so bad.
- Rena and Clint Armstrong, British Columbia