Palomino Backpack Edition Reviews on RV Insider (9)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Palomino Backpack Edition RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Ty sandlin from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1225 View Listings

Well, first the positive. I like the camper, as a whole. Layout works. Hauls well on truck. But, now the negative. Ive contracted the manufacturer 3 times over the past 2 months. Once leaving voice mail, 2 times leaving message over their web formats. Never received any responses. All i needed was to know the product used on the 4 corners where tent meets metal. Its pulled away and letting rain in. I get many complements on looks of camper. Ill now have to tell these potential customers about lack of support.
- Ty sandlin, Wisconsin

2020-11-06 2020 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-8801 View Listings

Although I have been unable to use this unit it is very light for the amount of space provided. Quality of workmanship is top notch. Will work well on any modern 3/4 ton pickup on up. Solar panels provide ample dry camping time.
- Donald Ausmus, Texas

2020-10-03 2016 Palomino Backpack Edition Soft Side SS-1251 View Listings

Screens have deterriated causing rips through out screen, cupboards not anchored to ceiling properly, click lock on drawers do not work causing drawers to open when traveling After 1 yr warranty you are on your own. On a positive note very convenient for parking and queen size bed is a plus.
- Pauline Ryan, Ontario

2020-08-16 2021 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-550 View Listings

Just picked up our 2021 SS550. Not super impressed as this year the overhead cabinets are literally “canvas duffel bags” and worthless. They have removed lots of the storage the older models had (such as below the countertop and under the bed. The dinette table is so flimsy we have already ordered a better “foot for it” and then they are so worried about weight yet they have an additional board which is for the “dinette bed” that there is no place to store and have to lug around. With just a tad bit of thought they could have set up the dinette so that the table could be used for the dinette bed. But nope too easy to go the cheap route in construction but not price. You may ask why we bought it? Can’t find a older used one and are on a time line due to health issues. If ya have time wouldn’t buy it look at their previous years models much better layout and storage. Oh and quality apparently isn’t in their vocabulary just looking to turn out quick to build and super light weight to the point of stupid. Has so much potential and they went the cheap easy route. Some redeeming features are the electric roof jacks hand, rail at door Instant hot water heater and 3 way fridge beyond that really a bummer. Not sure why they went this route as is sad.
- Ann Etcheverry , Wyoming

2020-01-31 2015 Palomino Backpack Edition SS-1500 View Listings

First off, I would never purchase another camper from the St. Lake City Access RV. I was pushed into signing the release by the "finance woman" before I ever saw my camper, and I strongly believe they sold me a floor model and not a brand new camper. The wear and tear strongly suggests that my camper was something on the floor that people kicked around before buying. I knew better, but after driving 8 hours to SLC, and then realizing I lost an hour to the time change, I nevertheless made my late afternoon appointment, paid cash for my camper, and was strong armed into signing the release before ever seeing "my camper"....The service mgr had some additional surprises for me, wanting additional money for this and that, and my friendly sales person was AWOL once I paid for the camper. I have removed any reference on my camper to Access RV, and when asked I say go to further east like Wyoming to buy your camper. The further east you go the cheaper the unit costs. Treat me right and I will sing your praises, treat me poorly as they did and I will blast them until my grave. Second off, I never received an adequate answer as to why FR indicated that the 1500 SS model had a gray water tank. It does not. There could have been a gray water tank placed under the shower, and allowed it to drain separately from the black water tank, but there is none. Negatives is the quality of "craftmanship" in the closet area being poorly sawed paneling That said, I have this camper on a 2008 long bed truck and with additional levee springs, it rides very well. I am in the camper for over a month each year in Montana, and being alone, it is very comfortable, functional, and with a full service hook up never a problem. The refrigerator works well, two stove burner more than adequate, I have added a portable microwave over the refrigerator, the hot water is plentiful, the shower a little cramped but not too bad, plenty of closet space and I can store food very well under the bed and in the cabinets. The forced air heater works great on cold nights, and the two tank propane system lasts a very long time. Finally, the electric roof elevator is excellent, and the methodology of closing everything off, putting the ceiling fan on to suck in the sides, works extremely well. Before I had a purchased in Woodland, CA a top of the line Four Wheel Grandby, but found it awkward and pushing up the roof a real hassle. Plus, the wood support that angled over the bed would wake me up at night. Sometimes in a panic wondering what's that? In comparison the Palomino 1500 SS is a far better model, and the indoor shower and toilet a major plus. In all, I like my 1500 SS because I camp alone and I have not attempted it with a dog or companion. It is best at a full service hook up, but I have purchased a gray water exterior tank for the dry camping at Pyramid Lake. Nevertheless, I will always be sore about the references to a "gray water tank" both in the brochure and owner's guide, that I rudely found out later did not exist. Lastly, never purchase the sealant package because it is over priced and pure non-sense. Quickly buy some Scotch Guard and treat your cushions yourself. For $750 it only lines the pockets of the sales staff and "finance woman". I would have given it 5 stars for livability if the dining table arrangement was not so awkward. As a result, I rarely use it.
- Tahoe John, Nevada

2019-12-29 2016 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-6601 View Listings

I purchased this camper after retiring from the US Army, don’t have time to use it now, it’s a great camper. It has everything you need to camp anywhere. If you have space to park a truck, you have enough space to camp. Wonderful for any outdoor activities, it takes less then 30 minutes to load and leave for your next adventure.
- R.E. Ogden , West Virginia

2019-09-26 2020 Palomino Backpack Edition HS-750 View Listings

The quality and workmanship on this camper is terrible. I wish I would have been more thorough and looked more closely at the fit and finish before purchasing this. Forest River/Palomino should be ashamed of themselves. The fold down bed fell completely off the first time we tried to use it, the screws were stripped out in the wood. The wiring is like a rats nest and extra wire balled up everywhere in the battery/fuse panel/water tank compartment, no organization at all. The battery shut off didn't work, they had a wire looping the circuit effectively bypassing the switch and the fuse. There were water leaks at the water heater and the fill for the storage tank. The storage tank is loose- nothing holding it down and it slides into the back of the fuse box/charger. The kitchen faucet drips constantly when the pump is on. The toilet is loose and it sits crooked because it hits the black tank vent pipe that was installed in the wrong location. The bathroom caulking was caulked right over top of dirt and shavings from manufacturing. The water heater worked intermittently, the fuse was incorrectly inserted and was arcing inside the fuse box. There is trim missing below the bathroom. The left front jack bracket was not installed plumb and the jack was at an angle under the camper causing the camper to "buckle" or twist in that direction when it was up on the jacks as if it wanted to break the jack. The air conditioner was only cooling for a few minutes then wouldn't cool, I found the temperature sensor installed in the cold air outlet instead of the inlet. The roof membrane has bubbles and wrinkles. You can feel hard objects under the bubbles, dirt or wood chunks maybe little pebbles? The wrinkles are around the roof vents, the membrane is not attached around them. We found random pieces of trim cutoffs inside the camper. The camper was full of sawdust and shavings. This is all the manufacturers poor quality control. Next is the dealer, which was for the most part decent other than they installed a 7 ft awning where an 8.5 ft awning should have been. I think they ran out of, or didn't have the proper size. I have verified with other HS750 owners that 8.5 is what fits. Also I they charged me $1400 for the 7ft awning which I found out the 8.5ft is only $800. I will never buy Forest River or Palomino again. Hopefully there will be a class action lawsuit. I am willing to bet the majority of Forest River campers have the same quality issue. I am going to tell every person i know and every fellow camper I meet from now on, and I have all the photo documentation to show as well.
- R C , New York

2019-08-10 2019 Palomino Backpack Edition SS1240 View Listings

Camper has a comfortable north/south queen bed above cab, fairly easy to get up to loft. Layout is good with refrigerator in the middle but the dinette table raise on the floor is extended to hallway area and easy to stub toes on the raised floor. Owned the RV 1 day and flooded the camper as the water line under the sink was not crimped tight and hose let loose when I turned on the water pump. Tried the stove and 1 burner worked and the other blew a flame from under the burner, scaring when I went to grab the fire extinguisher and there was no extinguisher installed. Rear taillight has moisture in lens and dealership said that it was not sealed in factory so need to order a new taillight. Checked the cabinets and found broken supports because of knots in the wood that weakened supports and also some supports had staples miss the joints so very poor cabinet work. Have rebuilt cabinets and used glue and pocket holes for strength and the dinette table raised floor I shortened alittle over an inch so it don't extend near the hallway. Will continue to improve the craftsmanship on my own to improve the quality and lifetime of camper as it is a nice small footprint at a good price.
- John Hedeen, South Dakota

2019-07-09 2019 Palomino Backpack Edition SS500 View Listings

There are many things to like about the Palomino SS500 camper: 1. An absolutely fantastic bed. It's a full Queen-sized north-south bed that is every bit as comfortable as my bed at home. The camper comes with a remarkably comfortable mattress. 2. A well-designed, basic lay-out. 3. The camper is specifically designed for the Toyota Tacoma and similarly sized trucks. My Tacoma handles the camper very well. 4. Price. The SS500 comes with most of the things a person would want as standard equipment. There is little doubt that a Four Wheel camper is a superior product, but to outfit a Four Wheel camper with the things that come standard with a Palomino SS500 camper (stove, fridge, water heater, furnace) would nearly double the cost of the SS500. Before I bought my Palomino SS500 about Thanksgiving of 2018, I researched various options and read reviews. One of the common comments about Palomino campers was a lack of quality control in the past. However, most recent owners said that quality control has dramatically improved in recent years. However, my experience doesn't bear this out. Here are some of the problems I've experienced in the 7 months I've owned the camper: 1. Split corner pieces on the corners of the top portion of the camper, allowing water to enter, even when parked (as a previous reviewer has mentioned). 2. The cheapest possible battery. I've already had to replace it. 3. Completely inadequate stop on the fridge door to prevent it from opening while underway. I should add, however, that this is more a problem of the Dometic fridge in the camper rather than of the camper itself. 4. Leaky water connections under the sink. 5. The battery cover and ventilation hose was attached with only a single screw in place. The other four or five screws were simply missing and the cover wasn't properly seated. 5. Weather-proofing generally. I've used my camper only three times, but the strip on the upper section of the camper, the piece that seals the camper when it is closed, has come completely loose on one side. It looks like it was held in place with an utterly inadequate amount and/or type of adhesive. I had the dealer deal with problem number one (above) with very little if any improvement. Because taking the camper, which is under warranty, to the dealer requires a 140-mile round trip through heavy urban traffic, it's turned out to be easier to simply deal with the problems myself. I like the camper, but the manufacturer has definitely NOT resolved the quality control issues as of late 2018. And it's a shame because they are making and selling a great little camper. If they would provide good or even just adequate quality control, their camper would have an excellent reputation and be in high demand. I would have eagerly paid an extra $100-$200 for an adequate battery and some semblance of quality control.
- Jim Harris, Utah