Palomino 5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (67)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Palomino 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Benny and Patricia McCann from Arkansas says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Palomino Columbus 385BH View Listings

Our Columbus 385BH was manufactured December 11, 2014. We brought it home in January, 2015. We have had one trip in it that the slides worked. One of the slides hasn't worked since. We have been to the RV dealer seven times. The RV dealer has had it seven weeks while Forest River and the manufacturer of the slide mechanism argue over who will pay for it. The people at Palomino won't even talk to me. We are more than dissatisfied. We are still waiting for Palomino to send a part to fix the slide, and we definitely have warranty. I would like to think that this will help.
- Benny and Patricia McCann, Arkansas

2020-09-16 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 377MBC View Listings

Current owner for 2 years and big fan of these trailers. Well made with lots of essential features. Roomy with lots of internal storage. More than enough heating and AC to be comfortable. Having the electric fireplace allows you to use the campground's electric to heat instead of your own propane. Plumbing and waste systems are simple and easy to use. Annual winterization was simple. Electrical system has provided no issues. Mostly LED lighting inside. Slides move easily in and out. Awning is great with full power including LED lighting. These come with G-Rated tires, so they are not the China Bombs you get on the smaller trailers. Tows easily and tracks perfectly. I had a gooseneck ball in my truck already so I swapped out the fifth wheel hitch and installed a Goosebox. Very nice ride and easy to hitch and unhitch. Very large and comfortable shower. Ceramic toilet for easy cleaning. I wish the bathroom sink was a bit bigger, but they are all that small. Very large closet (full width) in Master so plenty of clothing room. Additional wardrobe in Bunk house is nide sized. The master's mattress is a Sealy Destinations which is a really fantastic mattress with a memory foam pillow-top. Best I've ever felt in a trailer. Didn't use the washer/dryer prep so can't speak to that, but that provided another whole closet. Massive under master bed storage for less used items. Ours has been fully waterproof for our full ownership. No water leaks that we know of. Fabric of chairs and sofas not showing signs of wear yet. Residential fridge is huge at 20 cu ft. We never come close to filling it. Nice double bowl sink with removable covers to give you even more working space in kitchen. Doesn't have dishwasher prep, but honestly don't see the need as we quickly wash after each meal. Maxxair fan in kitchen is easy to use and works well to provide fresh air and remove humidity. Hydraulic auto-leveling system is great. Push a button, trailer lifts off hitch. Push another, trailer auto levels. Push another trailer raises back up ready to hitch back up. Push one last button and trailer retracts all levelers. Pretty slick operation. Very stable on 6 levelers. I do carry a simple single jack stand to put under rear bumper...and that stops virtually all the remaining shakes. Don't need those between wheel chocks or even a fifth wheel tripod. Solar prep is included, but we never used it. Wired for Satellite as well as Cable hookup. Really love the StepAbove entry steps. Very wide and stable. At about 12,500 lbs empty, it's average for a 42' fifth wheel, I pulled with a 2500 RAM with a diesel and stayed under limits and had plenty of power when needed. Has a large pass-thru storage area and the front storage holds a lot too if you don't have the generator option (which we do not). Lots of outdoor lighting. Honestly have had no issues with the trailer other than some trim that needed better attachment when we first got it, and fixing that was part of the pre-purchase inspection. We did add slide toppers which are great to reduce heat on the slides in the summer as well as keeping them clean for quick and easy departures. Also upgraded to Disc brakes. The original drums were fine, but I wanted the extra safety the disc provided both for quick stops as well as no-fading on steep downhills. All-in-all, we've had a very good experience with our Compass and would buy another Columbus readily.
- Brian Heck, Ohio

2020-06-18 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 378MBC View Listings

I believe I have a lemon unit. Had this unit since April 2017. Paid cash same day and have had problems since we purchased this unit. Seriously. Can someone please point me in the right direction to talk to someone who can help me on this? Thank you
- Jane, Texas

2020-05-12 2016 Palomino Columbus Compass 320RSC View Listings

Had a number of problems from day one after I factory ordered my unit and received it.Missing items wrong items broken and poor workmanship Complained to dealer got no help Called forest river they promised to make it right never did 3 years even after several failed attempts with a different dealer unable to fix the problems and recommend the manufacturer get involved then they tried to tell me my warranty was us. I told them to bad I have every email where they said they would fix the problem. Long story short I’m taking them to court but knowing what I know know there’s a easier way to get things handled from day one. There may be no lemon law but there is something similar I will be more then happy to help anyone who buys a new trailer how to avoid the head he aches and long waits of service they can’t do that they are just trying to burn up your warranty. They think they have the upper hand and they tried it with me to but they picked the wrong person I will make it my life’s mission now to make sure everyone now knows what I know so no one else has to deal with the same you should be able to buy a rv and enjoy the experience and relax not have to deal with the headaches after because they don’t want to build a good product or stand behind them. Thanks for reading. Rob
- Robert brodeur, Massachusetts

2020-03-23 2017 Palomino Columbus Compass 384RD View Listings

As soon as we took delivery from Camping World on this coach, everything starting falling off the walls, window treatments, covers, TV fell in the floor and shattered, pull cables were too hard to pull, tires wore out in less than 5,000 miles, awning after 2 years tore for no reason at all. Too afraid to take it anywhere with something else going wrong.
- David Akins, South Carolina

2020-03-04 2019 Palomino Columbus 297RK View Listings

We like the floor plane . we found the cupboards and doors to be cheaply made . Some of the workmanship is poor' we had a dozen thing that had to be redone. holes not fill in around plumbing, doors coming a part, squeaky slides. doors in the closet plastic runners came off.one of the big things is no shades in slide beside the bed. trying to work with customer support on that. Am being told that maybe the way it was designed? shade in all the window except by the bed. pretty damn cheap. I may have to buy the shades but I will asked who made that decision. this company is suppose to have a good name. but cutting corners like this isn't good
- Larry, North Carolina

2020-02-16 2018 Palomino Puma 286RBSS View Listings

We first bought the camper on 08-21-2018 now for brand new the price wasn’t bad and it was the floor plan we liked however we have had nothing but problems since the day we bought it way to many to list on her but as of now the other dealer has it for repairs and has had it for 5 months not their fault of course original dealer actually screwed things up and stole my propane tanks which were full but magically empty when we got it back have had slide out rebuilt 2 times and we have only camped 2 times in it along with the other thousands of dollars it has cost to fix not me personally but the factory and now we are told the roof has to be replaced on the entire camper not happy campers at all!!!!!!!!!!!! I would say it would be cheaper to have them give me my money back or give me a new one but will NEVER buy another puma. you would thing to pay as much for it as you would a car the quality would be so much more we did t make it to the wv ky. Border and had to take it back to get a vent cover replaced and it has cascaded from there
- Jeremy williams, West Virginia

2020-01-20 2015 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We purchased this unit in Oct. 2018 and moved in May 2019. It was winterized and stored on our property during that time. I am sure the previous owners laughed all the way to the bank and happy with their new Solitude. Self-levelers and jacks don't work, had been worked on at least 3 times under warranty. Heater failed first week of needing it in Nov. 2019. After moving in: Seals on windows failing and moisture inside panes, all window latches required repair so windows would stay open when needed, trim pieces falling off, poor cabinet finish and trim more noticeable and apparent, floor in living room very flexible, front door crooked and loose wall frame, fiberglass in tub showing signs of damage on seat, frig was very warm and freezer hardly working. Upon further investigation, outside vent was blocked due to improper installation by factory. (heat sync was blocked). Bathroom skylight loose and leaking,(repaired by husband and scary to see actual construction when removed) paint on front cap fading and ugly, ..list goes on. We are stuck with this as this was our retirement. It is out of warranty at this point. Husband thought he had done his homework. Wish we'd kept our Keystone Challenger.
- Kim Cox, Nevada

2019-12-15 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We like this floorplan because you enter into the living room and not the kitchen. Secondly, with the 2 opposing slides it really opens up the living area. We bought this unit loaded out with the Voyager package and a stackable washer and dryer. Tows down the highway effortlessly. Quality is as good as the more expensive units out there (Redwood, Mobile Suites, Cross Creek, etc).
- John M, Florida

2019-12-04 2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS View Listings

I bought this unit new in 2013 and really liked it. Now that I owned it for 6 years, I have had my problems. First, Window leaked in kitchen and bubbled the wall board badly. I pulled it out only to find a cheap seal around it and an opening cut that is so big it barely gets covered by the window. 2nd Plastic supports for closet doors broke and windows too. Had a water supply leak and tore into it to find the rubber washer was on backwards, another leak, found staple in water line. Now the good stuff. Soft spot in floor in bedroom,3 cracked tanks leaking water big time , 2 grey and the black tank. I bought a extended warranty on this for 7 years bumper to bumper, not true. They would not cover the window leak, but they did cover replacement of the 3 tanks and replace the seal in the bedroom slide. This caused the soft spot on the floor. My brochure calmed 25yr warranty on the floor, I contacted Saber and he said they haven't offered that in years, really ? My brochure states 25 yr that was a major reason I bought it. When I pushed him on this he said I have to go to the manufacture of the floor, What BULLS***! I told him you go back not me. I'm not done with him yet, I just got my camper back from service and the floor repair was $850.00. I will be contacting him. One more thing,why is it when you go and ask for parts on a 6yr old unit they say that's an old unit might not be able to get parts. What a crock,I can buy parts for a 60yr old car and nothing for a 6 yr old camper. Oh ya if you do find a part hang on to your ass over the price, one side wheel skirt $585 shipping for a piece of plastic.
- Bill Torok, Ohio

2019-11-12 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK View Listings

We purchased this unit based on 3 important factors: 1) Floorplan 2) Name 3) Weight This floorplan offers the optimum space for the size of unit. It is very open, and when you enter you do not enter into the kitchen/ Instead, you enter into the living room which is large with the 2 opposing slides. The name Columbus, manufactured by a division of Forest River, is a quality built unit for the price. We have had 2 small issues which the factory resolved without a hassle. Lastly the weight is 11,800 unloaded with cargo capacity of 3000 pounds. This allows for a washer and dryer to be added without sacrificing carrying your clothes and other camping equipment. It tows like it is not even behind you. Would recommend unit
- John M, Florida

2019-11-11 2019 Palomino Columbus Compass F377MBC View Listings

We purchased this 5th wheel for my parents as they had plans to retire and explore the country. Some things happened at work and my Dad has decided not to retire and work another 2 year contract. I have 10 acres of property and so the 5th wheel has never been on the road for a trip. We have made an RV hook up site at my home and the 5th wheel is on my property. It's in great shape and will be a perfect unit for some-one who is looking for a new trailer.
- Jeff Black, California

2019-09-25 2013 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS View Listings

You can take all the creature comforts of home on the road. Large, open floorplan with 9' ceilings (yes, 9 feet!) feels spacious and luxurious. All wood cabinets and finishing is top notch. Loads of storage inside and out. Entertainment system lets you bring your music and movies with you. Enormous motorized canopy lets you sit outside and enjoy nature just footsteps from you home on the road.
- Chris Lemme, New Mexico

2019-09-24 2017 Palomino Columbus 383FB View Listings

Towing the 5th Wheel with a Dodge Ram 3500 with dualies, we used the 5th Wheel one time to travel from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Utah; Denver, CO; Colorado Springs, CO; and back to Jacksonville. We had a blow out in New Mexico and the emergency assistance plan provided by Forest River was very responsive. This unit is like being at home. Very comfortable.
- Hazel Johnson, Florida

2019-09-19 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 298RLC View Listings

Great trailer. We have now had for two years. Stay in unit 80+ nights per year. To date issues have been latch on shower door and converter. Both covered under the Columbus 2 year warranty with no issues. This is our secound rv. Quite pleased with both build quality and factory support.
- Dennis , Colorado

2019-09-14 2018 Palomino Columbus 383FB View Listings

We have owned several RVs and this one has been great and by far the best one yet. It tows exceptionally well since it's a 5th wheel and has the special tongue you barely know it's back there. With 4 slides it's very roomy, comfortable, and easy living for extended vacations. We love the half bath in the main cabin as well as the double sinks in the master bath.The full size fridge is also a plus and very convenient to stock up for long trips. The panty in kitchen, walk in closet, central vac and finally the on board washer and dryer takes this coach to the next level. It's truly the complete vacation package.
- fowlman, Delaware

2019-09-11 2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

We are wrapping up our 6th summer in this RV. We loved the floorplan when we first bought it and still do. The problems we had over the years were minor and did not stop us from using it. Our first outing, the a/c units did not cool well, refrigerator doors came open during travel and rear self leveling jacks kept running out of stroke before leveling. Dealer said nothing wrong but did replace fridge latches (didn't work). We solved all problems--found large chunks of styrofoam in a/c vents; sealed refrigerator doors by placing a short stiff rubber tube between doors to keep them shut while traveling; found we had to lower front end jacks close to ground after removing unit from truck and then hit level button. All works great now. We have had problems with drawers on both sides of fireplace and below fridge falling out while traveling. Solved by slipping a yard stick down thru the handles of the three drawers on each side of fireplace and crisscrossing bungy cords across face of fireplace; blocked the lower fridge cabinet with an ice chest we carry in which we store bottled water. After 35,000 towing miles and a combined 18 months of full-time summer living, we came close to replacing this trailer this 2019 summer with another "high end luxury" unit but found none that had all the same features (especially storage and closet space) as our Columbus. Plus the models we were considering all had some horrible reviews in terms of quality control and service. So we are saving $50-$80K after trade-in by keeping this one to spend what we hope will be several more summers in, avoiding the heat at home in Las Vegas. None of these 5th wheels are perfect. Recognize you need to get to know your unit and many problems can be worked around without the agony of fighting with dealers and probably waiting months for repairs that may do nothing to solve the problems.
- Ken Schmitz, Nevada

2019-09-05 2012 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Very good condition, bigger than what I am looking for. Inside was in excellent condition and very well taken care of,clean! Nice floor plan as well ,moveable island is a great option, didn’t look as if it has been used much at all. I have looked at some that appear to be never cleaned ,this was definitely not the case , just a little bit more camper than I can use .
- Steve Novelli , Pennsylvania

2019-08-28 2016 Palomino Columbus Compass 320RSC View Listings

This Coach is absolutely gorgeous, user friendly and well made. They didn't skimp on the quality of their materials or craftsmanship. It's comfortable in the cold, hot and warm climates. I can't say enough about this coach. You will not be disappointed.
- Scott Meyer, Indiana

2019-08-04 2012 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

Nice floor plan, plenty of room to move around. Kitchen has move around island which is very convenient. Very comfortable seating,electric fireplace is perfect for chilly days. Nice size shower . Plenty of room in bedroom to move around,dress, whatever. Overall a well done setup.
- Andy , Pennsylvania

2019-07-13 2014 Palomino Columbus 320RS View Listings

We purchased our Columbus in October 2014, at the time we did not realize the amount of work we would have to have completed prior to use. Our trailer spent 8 of the first 12 months in the shop being repaired. When it was repaired we had to return numerous times as it was not repaired properly. This is the list of repairs, could not even enjoy the trailer for the first year. Hole on slide out weld by door Door does not shut properly Blind in bedroom towards front slides down by itself Heater casing bent not installed properly Bracket for Ac not installed properly Curtain in living room installed crooked Holes in bedroom wall on Karl's side Curtain hook broken on Karl's side Front of shower pan leaks that holds the glass doors (rail) Plug in - in bathroom crooked not installed properly Kitchen sink door does not shut Fenders are cracking and breaking by screws Brake system on trailer locking up Slide in for living room scratching the floor Refrigerator not working on LP gas Fenders are cracking Gas makes funny noise when going into trailer Leveling system board broken
- Karl Lester, Washington

2019-06-25 2016 Palomino Puma 253-FBS View Listings

We bought our camper 2 yrs ago have had a lot of problems with water heater found out igniter board is bad. Thought buying so new would not have problems. Not so. Our front of camper paint is turning grey. Looks awful, should have stuck with white.
- Kathy Johnson, Minnesota

2019-06-20 2015 Palomino Columbus 295RL View Listings

Loved this unit. We lived in it through two winter seasons in the Keys and used it for camping through the summer. The only reason we sold it was because of health issues. Quality throughout and a great floorplan.
- Kathie Pontious, Michigan

2019-06-11 2018 Palomino Columbus 377MBC View Listings

This is an absolutely beautiful and excellent functioning, well laid out fifth wheel! Feels huge inside! We love the Mid Bunk Layout. The Kitchen is very nice with a big island and full size refrigerator.
- Josh Haering, Florida

2019-03-29 2015 Palomino Columbus 370FL View Listings

Have been out with the unit 6 times the frame is cracked and know one seems to be willing to do anything mean while the payments keep coming and I have know idea who can make a repair the dealer says they can fix it Good times.
- Gregory Keyworth, North Carolina