Northwood 5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (40)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Northwood 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Paige Whitworth from Arizona says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

4 months after having our unit we had issues with cooling off the inside. Outside temp 109, inside 101. assumed it was due to being to hot. Found out there was no insulation around refrigerator or in the cap so heated air was blowing in from the outside from out vanity bedroom drawers. The AC was also not installed completely causing the cold air to reverse and froze out AC unit. In trying to figure out what we thought we were doing wrong I called the dealership in Mesa, AZ who, after this ordeal that took over 8 months to figure out, has a better business rating of "F", they told me to, and this is literally, "Suck it up". I called Northwood and they would not help us where we were that had an onsite service center and stated that if we had any work done, they would not cover it. We ended up, at the start, sitting for 7 hours in our running truck with our dogs due to the high heat, had to buy an apartment window AC unit just to try and cool off the bed so we could drive the next morning, and buy a box fan to try and keep the flow of air circulating. At this time we didn't know the issues but frustrating none the less. We also had issues with drawer bottoms falling out with light load, screws constantly coming lose on drawer handles, the bedroom drawer constantly coming off the track, and the shower was leaking which was caused by poor installation and had to be reset and resealed. Northwood did cover the items when we got it back but as for helping on the road, they were of no help nor would they reimburse despite the fact that these issues were not our doing and the unit came from the factory that way.
- Paige Whitworth, Arizona

2020-10-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

I've had this RV for a year and it has been solid! Great insulation and no problems with the build. I've been shocked to hear the horror stories from my friends about the problems they've had with their rigs from other manufacturers. I'm so glad that I made the choice to buy from Northwood, nothing but great things to say!
- Lisa, California

2020-09-07 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

My wife and I decided to downsize last fall from a 33' 5th wheel to this 27' rig. The skylight placement and windows provide more daylight than our last 5th wheel. The galley has lots of room to move around with plenty of cupboard space and a huge pantry. A Solar Panel monitor keeps batteries charged up. The only drawback for us is the closet space; but hey, we decided to downsize and this is the only drawback we have.
- Bob Andrews, Minnesota

2020-09-07 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Outside is faded some due to the AZ sun but there isn’t much rust for being 25years old. Awning is slightly torn where it attaches To the bar and is faded but is fully functional. The inside has been nicely remodeled and can comfortable fit a family of three even though it sleeps up to five. Storage is decent with inside outside access under one of the bench seats. A full length closet next to the fridge, and storage under the loft bed. As well as a continual “U” shaped cabinet around the top. It’s worth taking a look at if your looking for a tiny house, spare bedroom, or office. Would be a good weekender ride.
- Ted, Arizona

2020-09-05 1996 Northwood Nash 21-5R View Listings

Beautifully kept for a 25 yr old camper! Very clean, quaint and updated, plus the hitch and truck are a buying options. Worth noting that axels have been switched so that there’s more ground clearance. Good find, awesome deal!
- April , Arizona

2020-06-05 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 28-5C View Listings

Traded in our 2016 27-5L for the newer, larger 28-5C, and have been very happy with the decision. Appreciating the quality build of the first Arctic Fox, we decided to stay with Northwoods Manufacturing. We are fulltime Rvers, and the larger 28-5C is proving to be perfect for us. It has the same bath and bedroom as the smaller 27-5L, with the increase in size devoted to the living area. The galley kitchen, with island, large pantry and coffee bar area is very user friendly. The couch faces the TV (why does it not in SO many rvs??)...and the bench seating and table gives the two of us ample room for our laptops, phones, coffee cups, etc. The added fireplace is great for quick heating on chilly mornings, or for ambience in the evening. We have had one major issue, with the living room slide, and the factory was instrumental in getting it repaired quickly. They were on the phone with our local repair shop, and the problem was resolved quickly and easily. We paid the bill and received a check from Northwoods (it was under warranty) for reimbursement within a week or so. No complaint there! I would have really liked central vac, but it is no longer an option. All in all, we are more than happy with our Arctic Fox and will remain a devoted customer.
- Kevin Pelletier, New York

2020-05-03 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 1020 View Listings

Gardner’s RV was very pleasant buying experience for us. We traded a 2016 Arctic Fox 29-5 for a 2020 32-5, same brand. Everyone at the dealership went out of their way to get us on the road educated and prepared for success. Overall excellent experience.
- Duane knudson, Montana

2020-03-02 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

We liked the fact that it was 29.5 ft in length, the kitchen and storage is adequate, it has a queen size bed,and prewired in the bedroom for a 2nd TV. We've had multiple problems with our unit per the following; 1. Refrigerator failed on our first trip which took nearly 2 months to repair. 2. The shower continually leaks. 3. Many screws throughout the unit have been stripped. 4. The plastic finish around the door casings were not screwed or glued in place. 5. This unit should be outfitted for 50 amp service in order to run your coffee pot and the microwave at the same time. There are also problems running a coffee pot and a curling iron or almost any other electrical service. 6. The table utilized within this model was removed and replaced with a custom credenza as our knees scraped the underside of the table. 7. The couch was replaced with two recliners in order to be more comfortable while using this unit. 8. The light switch which controls the lighting over the recliners should be moved to a more convenient location, it's a royal PITA. 9. The air conditioner should be replaced with a 15.5 unit along with a 50 amp service. 10. The height of this unit is extreme and should be lowered for safe use.
- John A Bird, Montana

2020-02-29 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 28-5C View Listings

For us very roomy. We had a 2008 silver fox 990 slide in camper before. Enjoyed it but age creeped in so camping comforts changed. Toes very nicely. Anderson style hitch. Using a 2007 350 Super Duty Ford. Seamed BIG at first but you get used to it quickly. Auto leveling is the way to go. Have solar power as well which is nice. 3500 in house gen. Some winter camping and it stayed very warm in teen weather. Would recommend it.....
- Dan Kruger / Benet Kruger, Montana

2020-02-02 2013 Northwood Arctic Fox 275-L View Listings

I have owned this RV for three years and have compiled a list of defects a page long. The more serious issues have been the failure of the fridge (off warranty cost $3,500 to replace), the finish on the table and drawers rubbing off requiring an expensive refinish, all tanks too small, not four season unless you leave the furnace blasting full time at 15 degrees below Celsius (barley freezing), poorly designed oven, carpet on ceiling sagging and falling off, discoloured and fading finish on front cap, sagging awnings, leaking taps in kitchen, squealing taps in bathroom, bed webbing frame broken, couch too small and replaced with chairs, chairs weak and require rebuilding, screws on cabinets too short and working loose. On a bright note, the fan works well and it is a nice looking coach. Northwoods Manufacturing is cheaping out on materials and quality of build.
- Ken Gread, British Columbia

2019-10-18 2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T View Listings

Great Fifth Wheel, only one complaint. The antenna is 12 inches tall, located on the highest point of the roof on the right side. It is a saucer on a narrow pillar so any low hanging branch will break it.
- Phil Clark, Washington

2019-08-25 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5K View Listings

We were upgrading from our travel trailer and did a lot of research. We had our eye on Arctic Fox and Solitude. Seriously considered both and felt like the Arctic Fox was made well and would best meet our needs as full timers. We were already going up in size and the Solitude seemed HUGE to us (now, not so much). We were set on the 27-5L since it was a comfortable upgrade without feeling enormous. We went to look at it and it somehow felt too small to us. I don't know why because the floor plan is very practical (rear kitchen) and a nice rear window. Next, we looked at the 29-5T and it was love at first sight. We loved all the space, the fireplace, the kitchen and large fridge, the large rear window, the furniture AND the large bedroom closet which was very practical for us as full timers. We were convinced this was the one for us. Upon seeing it again several weeks later, we started to overthink it and looked at the 29-5K. On that particular day it looked better to us than the 5T. There seemed to be more counter space (I love to cook) and a little more usable storage. But the big deciding factor was the bathroom. The shower seemed like a decent size and I liked that it was not clear glass. I liked how the bathroom sink and the toilet area were separate. I also liked the linen closet in the toilet area where in the 5T it had a sink instead and a very large shower. The shower door seemed impractical to me. It was clear glass and I thought it would be a real nuisance to keep clean. It also was a tri-fold which I also saw as a nuisance. Also, the 5K had a coat closet when you first walk in which I thought would be very useful. We wound up changing our minds and buying the 5K instead of the 5T. Now that we've had the 5K for a month, we are deeply disappointed. I miss that large rear window of the 5T. Since there is no pantry, I am having a hard time organizing the kitchen and most cabinets require me to get a step stool. I was annoyed when I realized the slide closes on the fridge so you cannot get to it. Always look at a rig you're considering with the slides in. I knew this and then somehow forgot. The dining room table in both models is horrible. It wobbles and is way too large and impractical for the space. I would rather have had a booth but we will eventually replace it. (What were they thinking with this table?) That's an easy enough fix but the true disappointment is the shower. It is designed in a way that makes it very difficult to caulk and we have had a leak that, try as we might, we cannot fix. Plus, while they advertise this shower as high enough for someone 6'4, truth is I am 5'2 and 105 pounds. While it may be high enough, it is not even wide enough for me. I am constantly hitting my elbows on the shower hose which causes the head to fall off its base. Wow, did we make a mistake thinking the 5T shower would be a nuisance. This one in the 5K takes the cake. The leak we will eventually fix but the narrow size misses the mark 100 percent. Go inside the shower of the model you are considering and see what it feels like to shower in it best as you can. Had I done this, I would have noticed right away it is way too narrow, even for me! We waited for this upgrade and I'm sad that we don't love it, especially since it is our full time home. We hope to have it paid off in 6 months, then its back to the drawing board for us, unless we can replace the shower completely and get a more practical dining set. At least I'm getting closer to knowing what I like. To be sure there are always compromises when you get a rig. The shower conundrum, however is a biggie for us. Not having a pantry is another fail. Hopefully three is the charm.
- Deb Rothschild, Oregon

2019-08-07 2018 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T View Listings

Artic Fox makes good coaches. We just have family issues and can't use right now. A true four season coach as it's built up in Oregon where the camping is rugged and year round. Great floor plans and layouts.
- Brent, Colorado

2019-08-01 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 28-5C View Listings

Traded a 2014 28F Arctic Fox on a 2019 32A. Very disappointing fit finish and material in the new trailer. Quality control lacking, possibly nonexistent. The use of pressed cardboard, cheap fixtures, compared to the 2014 a let down.
- Ian Mack, Alberta

2019-07-07 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

The build quality by Arctic Fox is not good. The toilet fill line leaked and, several times, cabinet doors would be on the floor. The assembly at AF had left many screws stripped. The generator (under the bedroom) is quite loud and does not cool well. The generator chamber gets quite hot. Perhaps my largest complaint is the air conditioning which is totally inadequate if the outside air temperature is above 90. One time in Zion National Park the air conditioner was run for many hours and cooled the coach to a balmy 95 degrees. The 27-5L overall height is 13'6" such that one must be very careful about clearance. Not a problem for interstates and modern gas stations but small towns and older facilities can be a problem. On the trip above in Zion we wanted to leave eastbound through the Mt Carmel tunnel. While Prevost buses go through regularly the 27-5L will not clear; even using the drive-down-the-middle approach. In summary: I sold the trailer. I expected much more from AF.
- M. A. Jaeger, Washington

2019-05-25 2014 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T View Listings

We purchased the Artic Fox 29-5T after much research into building specs, four season insulation, max storage, max comfort, easy maintenance and a great floorplan. This fifth wheel has lived up to its reputation in every way. We have loved using it, just wish we could have gotten out more. The kitchen layout make it roomy for two to cook and prepare meals. The living area is big enough, but not too big. The solar and large tanks make every camping site possible. We have truely enjoyed our time in the Fox.
- J McLellan, Colorado

2019-03-26 2015 Northwood Fox Mountain 235RLS View Listings

We bought this RV in 2015 at the time it was an upgrade for us, our previous RV was a 2000 Jayco. Northwood makes great RV's and they ensure they are services correctly and in a timely manner. We upgraded to a 2019 Arctic Fox 28.5c. If upgrading within the same industry standard isn't a high enough statement I don't know what is.
- Edgar Dodge, Idaho

2019-02-12 2015 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5K View Listings

Just had a -25 night camping and am so glad to say stayed warm, had running water. So impressed with everything about our camper. We have a fireplace (electric) installed, heat pads on our tanks and use a skirt. Used 1 propane tank every two days in these temps. Definitely 4 season!
- Mike , Montana

2018-09-08 2019 Northwood Arctic Fox 28-5C View Listings

We spent a year researching manufacturers and have owned 3 different models that we wouldn't go back to. We decided on the Arctic Fox because of the hype about their quality and quality control. We have been on the road for over a month now and I have to say I am disappointed. The second day out the unit became flooded going down the road. The water pump was on and we didn't check it because we hadn't used it. The Kitchen faucet swings around and turns on during travel. Even draining it we still find water at the end of each travel day, all over the couch and floor. Both cabinets at each end of the island have fallen off, other cabinets doors and privacy doors have loose screws that won't tighten, due to screws being over-tightened during installation. The sound bar doesn't work at all. The microwave doesn't work properly and the leveling system only works once you get the unit level which to me makes it a high priced stabilizer not a leveling system. Once we get home it is going back to the dealer and I'm sure that a lot of the issues will be resolved under warranty. Oh, and there is great hype about how well these units are sealed. Wrong! We did 20 miles on a dirt road and the interior filled up with dust - even stuff in drawers next to the stove is filthy. Dirt came in around switches and outlets. Just amazing!!
- Pam Ferguson, Wyoming

2018-07-29 2014 Northwood Fox Mountain 325RKS View Listings

This RV has had so many quality issues that there isn't enough room here to list all. I took it back to both the dealer and the factory and they just jerryrigged all the problems. Worst RV I have ever owned. Every time I take it out, I have to repair something. This unit should never have left the factory. I would not recommend Northwood products to anyone. If anyone would like a list of the problems I have had with this unit, e-mail me and I will send it.
- Randy C Spray, Idaho

2018-07-08 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

Good - Max kitchen and livability features in 29 ft Bad - (A) Quality. More than 15 issues. Examples: Shower enclosure was not chalked. Shower drain came apart. Draft in the bedroom thru the bed side tables. Landing gear. Kitchen drawer bottom fell out. Front decal had to be replaced. (B) 13.5K Air Conditioner struggles to keep trailer at 75 when temp is over 90. (C) One GFI circuit with all kitchen, bath, LR, DR outlets wired to same 15 AMP breaker. You can not run a coffee pot and a heater at the same time. (D) Battery kill switch doesn't. We had to install one at the battery. (E) Gray water tanks valve and drain design. Embarrassing half gallon of water falls on the ground when we arrive at next park and take the cap off to attach the sewer hose. We've tried lowering the RV to facilitate draining. Had to install a external valve to mitigate the problem.
- Sharon Brown, Washington

2018-05-30 2013 Northwood Arctic Fox 30U View Listings

This camper works good with weather all year round. Camping with this camper is really nice and spacious. I can't think of anything I don't like about this camper. It pulls nicely and smooth. I like the setup of this camper because right when you walk in with the 2 slides out it looks big.
- Isaac Anderson, Minnesota

2018-03-20 2009 Northwood Arctic Fox 24-5N View Listings

We have traveled over 50,000 miles towing the 24-5N including a Full Time 1 year road trip. We've been coast to coast and all points in between in both the US and Canada. The trailer performed admirably! It tows beautifully. It has an excellent floor plan. When the slider is in for towing, the floor plan is fully usable. We have been in weather down to -15 F and it stayed warm inside. All the equipment has held up very, very well. In all these miles and all this use, nothing has failed. We installed 2 solar panels on the roof for dry camping and they keep the batteries charged. It's not a large 5th wheel but it is a size that makes travel easy which is what we want. The construction is solid. No leaks. Excellent insulation. Lots of storage. No complaints at all about this trailer. If we buy another trailer, without question it will be an Arctic Fox. The only complaint I have is that they stopped making this model 5th wheel and I don't want the next size up, the 27-5L because of the size. We travel and the size of the trailer is very important.
- The White Rabbit, Washington

2017-10-10 2015 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

One of only a hand full of four season manufacturers. Superb construction and quality. Northwood is one of the RV industry's leading manufacturers that truly builds four-season trailers. Polar pack, winter insulation for extreme conditions. The 27-5L is their most popular all seasons 5th wheel, the 27-5L is loaded with quality features. If you have been around the RV community, you will know the quality of these units.
- paul , British Columbia

2017-10-01 2017 Northwood Arctic Fox 27-5L View Listings

Perfect RV for a couple or family for all seasons for camping in the great outdoors or RV Parks. Great storage space, comfortable, spacious living area. Heated couch is a standard feature on this trailer. The 4 point automatic leveling system makes unhooking and hooking back up quick and easy. Built in generator makes very convenient. This is the perfect trailer.
- C. Johnson, Montana