KZ 5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (43)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with KZ 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Charles Burton from Wisconsin says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 KZ Durango Gold 382MBQ View Listings

To date I have been trying to convey the severity of the problems with my unit. I have taken it to three dealers and they won't touch it and state send it back to the factory. After 8 months I finally got the factory to pick it up. We sent detailed pictures of issues from poor quality Assembly materials and a list of the problems. This unit expands and contracts so much from week to week twisting and pulling itself apart. From door frames that no longer fit or close to slides that one can see daylight. The wood work chips from normal use and there is not a straight cabinet door in the unit. From weekend to weekend over the summer I was noting things changing in the unit, swollen trim bulging from the wall to slides sagging and no longer appearing square, the bathroom mirror fell off the wall. when talking to the Support at KZ it took weeks to convince them of the extreme issues with this unit and when it got looked at by them it is all downplayed like there is no issue. My fear is the unit comes back with the same problems as they just don't seem to understand that when things expand and contract with the kind of movement they continue to do so. A Very disappointed owner of the $80,000 poor quality unit.
- Charles Burton, Wisconsin

2020-09-21 2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF View Listings

This RV is like a home away from home. We pulled it everywhere we wanted to go with our 3/4 ton PU. That is quite a statement for a 41' fifth wheel! This trailer has 5 pop out's, and when set up, it is very comfortable and has the room of an apartment. It never felt cramped, and our family had plenty of room to sprawl out and watch TV, or what ever they wanted to do inside. Lots of storage outside for all your camping equipment and recreational toys. It is best to plan your route and stick to it. This rig is not something you want to drive through the city streets. Trust me I have done this a time or two... We are sad to see it go. Due to our work schedule we have only been able to use it three times, since buying it new. We are moving to AK. and need to downsize our belongings and our RV made the list. The six point leveling system makes it a snap to get set up and ready to use. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up- level and hook up sewer, water, electric and cable. About the same when you get ready to leave. This is going to be a great addition to someone for years to come.
- John Miller, California

2020-09-11 2018 KZ Durango Sport View Listings

I purchased a Durango fifth wheel ( KZ MANUFACTURING owned by THOR INDUSTRIES) in June of 2018 and I have had numerous issues with it. The day I took it home I plugged it up to get it ready for the first trip, next day went out to start getting ready for trip and the outside plug assemble had pulled loose from the exterior of the RV under the mere weight of the power cord...They had attached the exterior plug assembly to the outside wall of the RV with 1/4 long screws only penetrating into outside layer of fiberglass wall 1/8 inches. I Had to repair this the proper way myself and upon tell KZ I wasn’t offered any compensation for cost and labor, just received comment “ that’s a good idea” when I explained how I repaired it. While on my first trip a few days later the entire shelving collapsed in the pantry. I spent two days of my vacation and material cost repairing this issue myself (same response as plug issue when I reported it to them)( they had put 1/8 inch thick panel shelves spanning 34 inch by 20 inch with 1/2 inch particle board braces along each end...no bracing across middle. Bear in mind we had 5- 6 cans of veggies and a loaf of bread on two of the shelves. )Took it in to dealer February 6,2019 for repairs and it took more than 3 months to get it back. If I had not called constantly to the dealer and KZ and Thor Industries I wouldn’t have gotten it back that soon. One of the issues was the kitchen and bathroom counter tops...the laminate was coming loose from the material used under it. Design flaw. I have this problem again in May of 2020 same issue still under warranty. First time they just replaced with exact same counter tops and design. I researched this and discovered that they changed to this design to save money...old design used a better resign based material that was a solid piece that would not allow moisture to penetrate it. I asked them to replace my counter top with the cheapest material of this kind at a cost of $ 2095 dollars. That was with me doing some of the work as the cabinet counter company doesn’t do plumbing ( ie unhooking and hooking up the sink drains and faucets. ) I was told they would cover $450 and 1.5 hrs of labor. This amount less than hat dealerships charge them to fix this issue. This unit Msrp at $54000 ! THOR ANNOUNCES NET SALES OF $2 BILLION, IMPROVED GROSS PROFIT MARGIN AND HIGHER BACKLOG FOR THE SECOND QUARTER OF FISCAL 2020 03/09/20 And they can’t fix my issues that cost less than $2500.00 This particular issue was not exclusive to my RV, another customer whom I will not name at this time had his replaced eight times to no avail. I will not buy another product made by KZ nor governed by the parent company Thor Industries if they cannot stand by their product.
- Gary Whitton, Texas

2020-08-09 2018 KZ Durango 1500 D281RLT View Listings

This RV has exceeded our expectations. A good friend who works in the RV industry highly recommended KZ and he was definitely right. Lots of quality built in and the factory service was the best. Many wonderful memories were created but due to health issues we must find it a new home.
- Linda Santiff , Maryland

2020-07-18 2020 KZ Durango Gold 366FB View Listings

We have taken numerous trips in the 5th and every time we come back something is wrong. Hydraulic went out, leak in bathroom, bed messed up, wall at slide out in main cabin, ... Not a satisfied customer at all!!!
- Connie Nation, Oklahoma

2020-06-15 2020 KZ Durango 301RLT View Listings

Second KZ product I've owned out of six trailers/fifth wheels altogether. Great improvement in quality from the fifth wheel I owned 8 years ago. So far this is the first RV I've owned that I haven't found any deficiencies in that required taking back to the dealer for warranty work.
- Glenn Newberry, Texas

2020-05-10 2016 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF View Listings

This 5th Wheel has been good to us. It has very large living quarters...Very comfortable. It has a high profile..My husband is 6ft 3in. and he had no trouble at all with the height in any one of the rooms. It has 2 in out doors...one by the front kitchen, living, dining area and the other back by the bath, bedroom area...Love having the refrigerator stocked. We bring enough meat and Veggies, in the freezer that we don't have to buy any for 5 plus months. Had many compliments on it. Actually it is a beautiful home away from. with the electric awning over the carpet mat (9x18 ft) that will come with it, makes a nice extra living space...We have been gentle on her, we only went back and forth to Fl. with her and only used her 5 month each time the rest of the time she is parked on a cement pad in Ohio.
- Joan Gibbons, Ohio

2020-05-06 2016 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF View Listings

We purchased our 2016 G380FLF in June of 2016 and have had nothing but problems with it since we purchased this fifth wheel. First thing is the self leaving doesnt work unless you camper is already level, even when you are only 2% off level it will not work properly, but we over looked that and went on, we had several other problems also but still moved on. Our first major problem that we couldn't move on from was the frame around the front passenger side slide, when we had it in a RV shop for warranty work the guy showed us that the frame was broke and told us we would need to take it back to the dealer we purchased it from to be fixed, so we did and then got the run around that it would not be fixed under warranty and we would need to pay for it, Well that didn't work for us so after several months and emails and phone calls KZ decided they would fix the frame and they did. Now 1 year later and only 4 camping trips the same frame is broken again and KZ wanted us to bring the camper to them (16 hours away, 1069 miles) and the would inspect the camper and our tow vehicle (which is a 2003 dodge 1 ton with air ride and has been 200000 miles hauling nothing but fifth wheel campers) and if they deemed it was the same break from the last repair they might fix it for free but would defiantly fix it at a discount to us and we would need to sign a waiver that if it broke again that KZ would not be responsible. So of course we didn't or haven't taken this to KZ since we have no guaranty that it would be fixed at their cost and they wouldn't pay me to haul it to them (1069 miles one way) The first time this happend we did alot of research on the KZ front Living fifth wheel and found that KZ has had this issue in the past and had to replace or buy back some other fifth wheels, but in our case It seems we are just out of luck in getting our camper repaired unless we want to pay for it our-self (and that is just not fair for anyone) So here we are with a $68,000.00 POS that we cant get KZ to stand behind. So hopefully you get my point? DO NOT purchase a KZ product because even if you purchase the extended warranty like wed did they will not stand behind their product. I almost forgot, KZ doesn't build there frame's, another company does which is LCI, so that make's my problem even worse, dealing with 2 company's.
- Michael Benedict, Texas

2020-02-19 2019 KZ Sportsmen 302BHK View Listings

In May of 2019 me and my family purchased a kz sportsmen 302bhk fifth wheel. everything was great at first. as experienced rv people know that the first year of a new rv can have some challenges. but now that its Feb. of 2020 my rv has been at the dealer service shop since Jan. no repairs have been done to it due to kz manufacturing denying responsibility. the problems are... first month a piece of paneling buckled loose, and the awning was coming loose from the side of the rv. within the first six months the mdf boards that have a synthetic film over them to simulate real wood in the outdoor kitchen started to swell due to the outdoor fridge defrosting and leaking while your towing it down the road. this fridge is not on an inverter so it only stays cold when the rv is plugged in. and there is more paneling coming loose on the inside of the outdoor kitchen as well. and as for a safety concern the trailer bucks very badly. as I was pulling it I had my wife take a video of the hitch and its lifting up so high that its picking my truck hitch up. I brought this to kz manufacturing's attention and they said it was normal but what I find funny is, while mine is being repaired there was another guy who had the same 302bhk as me and the bucking on his caused his trailer tongue to break and his entire front end to come apart. now to tell yall about the HEALTH CONCERN, my rv and the the guys with the broken tongue both have mold growing inside of the slides. this rv is a bunk house model and the bunk house is where my one year old baby girl sleeps. every time we went camping, very shortly after we had to take my little girl to the doctor due to her being ill. come to find out after several months of dealing with this and almost 5000.00 in doctor bills and one er visit, the doctors ran test for symptoms of mold and they linked to being exposed to heavy amounts of mold spores. so in my case iv hired a lawyer. out of owning 4 other rvs, this manufacturer is a big waste of time and money.
- chris bruton, Texas

2019-12-04 2020 KZ Durango 259RLS View Listings

First of all love the floor plan. Exterior looks great. Pulls very nicely, water management all inside a side compartment love it, swing down steps are great. Lots of storage inside and underneath. These are all the reasons we purchased. Now the bad. Furnace howled like a stepped on hound. Had to haul it back to dealer 100 miles one way. That was repaired. Refrigerator door will not remain closed while traveling. Bungee cord required. First rain, storm sun roofs leaked! Upon examination found multiple cracks, and missing edge with sealant. Sawdust at window, and vent below on bed and floor after traveling for a day. Recliners have heat and massage, turn on by themselves, or else switches are REAL sensitive. One is a two person effort to close as the mechanism hits support bar. Climate package does not mean the windows are air tight or insulating, cold air flows down you back while sitting at dinning table and feet. My impression is that minimum care in manufacturing.
- Howard Clark, Montana

2019-11-26 2018 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD View Listings

Your search stops here ! Absolutely love this layout! Perfect with the u shaped booth! Lay in one of the TWO comfy queen bunks and watch tv(included) and enjoy the indoor fireplace! Kitchen is so user friendly with the pullout pantry and outdoor kitchen. Master bedroom has a ton of closet space and spacious corner shower !
- Denise , Arizona

2019-11-23 2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF View Listings

Plenty of trailer for anyone towing down the road to a camp spot. Know your route and fueling needs. Best bet is to fuel up with the big rigs. Your not going to pull this baby into your local gas station. Once you get to your spot set up is quick and easy. Wala! You are home away from home with all the amenities.
- John Miller, California

2019-10-27 2017 KZ Durango Gold G353RKT View Listings

We love the Durango Gold G353RKT, it is Very good quality and the fit and finish the best we have had and this is our 4th RV. It is built with Full Time RVer's in mind. The rear kitchen and lots of counter space is the best we have seen in any brand.
- Bert Fletcher, Arizona

2019-09-17 2015 KZ Durango 2500 D315RKD View Listings

We bought this unit new in 2016. It is a 2015-so the warranty went into effect in 2016. This past summer I noticed bulges on one side of the camper, contacted KZ, our insurance company and another RV dealer here in town. The other dealer and the insurance agent both concluded that it was caused by poor workmanship. The roof fabric was tearing on one side caused by the manufacturer cutting the roof plywood to short and the screws holding the plywood down coming loose. The tears in the fabric allowed water to seep in between the side walls causing delamination on the fiberglass exterior wall. KZ said the warranty was 14 months out of their normal warranty and we are SOL! I posted some comments ontheir Facebook page, which they took down and now they have blocked me from their page. Bottom line-don't buy any thing from KZ. When 2 outside parties both say it's a manufacturing defect and they won't do anything to help off set the cost- I'll never buy another KZ product again.
- Eldon, Minnesota

2019-09-11 2016 KZ Durango 1500 D259RDD View Listings

We have our 5th wheel for almost 3 years and have taken trips up to 11 weeks in length. KZ and the dealership worked well together and we had no problems with getting work completed under the 2 year warranty.
- Debbie Girard, Illinois

2019-09-09 2000 KZ Sportsmen 2465 View Listings

Lived in this model for quite some time. It was very good for a couple. Can seem kind of tight some times but very livable with one pet. The rear ET center made it nice. could use more space in the BR area. But overall I would give 4 stars. But would be the ultimate bachelor's pad with a little updating.
- Mike S, Alabama

2019-09-06 2019 KZ Sportsmen 251RL View Listings

Our new 5th wheel in 6 months has taken all the joy out of camping that we’ve done in the last 25 years. Absolutely junk! Our 1993 Terry Resort was camped in for 25 years with no issues. This one let me tell you what we’ve experienced so far: Axle blew out due to the crap self adjusting brakes they put on because they don’t adjust and cause you to run down the road with the brakes on until the axle blows. Left us stranded 8 hours from home for 2 weeks. Plugged toilet twice. Waiting for a plumber as we speak because it won’t unplug even though we’ve used RV toilet paper and the dealers recommended toilet disposal liquid. Sawdust has to swept every time you get to your location. Table extension doesn’t work. No air flow for air to the bathroom or bedroom. DO NOT BUY A KZ product you’ll regret it. Dealer and KZ rep not helpful.
- Jack Kirk, Michigan

2019-09-02 2015 KZ Durango Goldrush Discovery View Listings

I would recommend this brand. Low maintenance, well built. The design is what attracted us to this brand. There were multiple floor plans to choose from. Full size refrigerator was a bonus, lots of storage space.
- Tina Hudson , Alabama

2019-08-14 2018 KZ Durango Gold 384RLT View Listings

KZ restored our faith in company and the people that work for them. 5 Stars We had our 5er 1 year and found spongy floor in corner of slideout with separation from wall. Our entry steps were not installed correctly. Slideout also didn’t want to go in or out. Dealer was of course was useless which I’ll not discuss here. Multiple minor issues also. Our first call to KZ was told to bring RV to factory. Every call we made to them was handled professionally and sincerely in a timely manner. On our way to Shipshewana, our trailer brakes went out. We called Dexter who made the axle. They sent 4 new brakes and called someone in our area to put them on. (although it was done incorrectly). We were put up in hotel and called to come look at what they were doing and to make sure we agreed. Dexter also showed up and fixed brake issue. In 3 days everything had been done and more. Everyone at KZ we spoke to, we met in person and was competent, courteous and went out of there way to make sure we were happy. We are!!!
- Joseph Anderson , Florida

2019-06-18 2006 KZ Durango 30R View Listings

We enjoyed our 5th wheel very much but it has become difficult for us to continue using it due to our age! We are sad to sell it for that reason! It’s in very good shape and clean for someone interested!It is a one owner
- Delynn Cook, Oregon

2019-05-29 2010 KZ Durango 325 View Listings

The KZ Durango 325 is an excellant 5th wheel with more storage room than you could imagine. We towed it for approx 4,000 miles and had no problems. With the 3 slides it opens up to a nice wide temporary home or it could even be permanant. The medium size fridge gave us plenty of room for food and the hole house vaccum system works great. It measures out to 34.5 feet and the dry weight is approx 9400 lbs. With the electric fireplace there is no need to burn extra propane to keep the place warm. When all the slides are in you can still get access to the fridge and bathroom with no problems. On a few of the 1 day stops we had, we did not open the slides and was still very comfortable. The only reason for selling is just about a foot to long to get totally into our pole barn for winter storage. Our lose would be your gain and a chance to see this great USA in comfort. Barry Taylor
- Barry Taylor, Washington

2019-04-27 2016 KZ Durango Gold 366FBT View Listings

We wanted to rv full time and researched many rvs and floor plans. This one fit our needs. I truly believe it is a lemon and if I knew how to get the KZ company to take it back I would have it hauled straight to their front office. Besides the worst customer service ever.. we were accused of purposely damaging the unit.. when we took it to the dealer and they found that the back panel was coming loose and the welds on the inside frame were like pieces of bubble gum.. not holding any of the metal frame together, KZ refused to fix it because the warranty was two months expired. How can structural issues not be covered at any time?? And now,thanks to the knowledge and mechanic ability of my son in law, he has found that the axles' bolts are barely holding together. So I feel like we have been driving around a time bomb just waiting to collapse on the highway. Due to owing WAY more than a trade in would give us, we are stuck with it.
- Suzanne McGinnis, Texas

2018-07-13 2014 KZ StoneRidge 38FL View Listings

I have had mine going on 3 years and have had no quality issues. I travel for work and live in mine. Have had minor things but nothing I could blame on KZ. I got the 4 season package and have lived in -10 weather with no freeze ups and very efficent heating. I do my own maintnance and this thing is solid. I would buy another with no worries.
- Robert, Indiana

2018-06-27 2018 KZ Durango 1500 D281RLT View Listings

So far very disappointed in this fifth wheel. Bought in December have not even been able to use because of roof problems. First it was thought lack of attention to adhering the membrane down. Loose by the front cap. Upon inspection found to have small holes in the membrane. Well now we have nothing but silence. We have sent pictures of the holes and the poor workmanship. Nothing no answer. As another criticism. The leveling controls on the right of trailer not on the same as the driver side. What engineers thought up that brilliant idea. When Kz thought it was a simple inexpensive fix it was ok'd but when it is expensive apparently they go round and round with the vendor as who is responsible for this failure. While the customer waits. Completely unacceptable. Can't really score the livability as have not been able to use.
- Edward Vock, South Dakota

2018-05-27 2006 KZ Escalade 37REB View Listings

My Wife and I bought our RV to Travel and Live in. We live in it for 2 years. It's designed to handle the Winter weather as well as the hot Summer days.We spent 2 winters in it with no problems with freeze-ups or need for additional heat sources. We did invest in a heated water water supply hose. The electric fireplace helped with chilly nights to save on propane. The Full King Size bed has a memory foam mattress and is better than the mattress we have in our home. The only reason we have decided to sell our RV is because of my Health problems and eye sight. It's a shame to have it sitting in the driveway not being used.
- Victor Sessions, Tennessee