Keystone Cougar

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Terry B from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Keystone Cougar 244RLS View Listings

Buyer beware, very nice unit , tows great but pray you do not have any warranty issues. They will approve fixing the nickel and dime defects you can expect in any RV. But if you encounter a costly defect you will be instructed to get you owners Manuel out and check the fine print. Case in point, I have a 10 month old 2016 cougar with a roof that is starting to ripple in the front and the factory adhesive over the joints has some cracks in it that allowed wind to create the ripples. The fine print says owners must inspect their roof every 90 days and apply a approved material to patch that bonds with factory mastic. Camping world recommends doing this once a year. Needless to say claim denied, keystone once again made sure they could pass off any defect that was costly to the consumer. If the manufacturer won't honor their warranty, don't waste money on an extended warranty.
- Terry B, California

2021-09-19 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RDS View Listings

My wife and I have owned camping trailers, Class A motorhomes, 5th wheel campers, Class C motorhomes for the past 50 years. As with anything manufactured, there are usually issues that need to be addressed, but usually the manufacturer stands behind their product. Here are some of the issues with the quality of the camper on the first trip: the bathroom door fell off onto the floor, the shower was leaking/running across the floor, the windows are set crooked and potentially leak, two entrance doors were crooked and would not shut properly, etc.. These issues are nothing but poor quality, but given time and the incredible skills of the mechanics at Camping World, Lowell, AR they can be fixed, but the lack of customer service and the haughty attitude of Keystone/Cougar cannot be fixed by the customer or Camping World. Dealing with the Home Office of Keystone/Cougar, gives me the impression that the entire culture of the company is aggressively rude and uncaring. This attitude permeates everyone that we dealt with at the Keystone/Cougar Home Office. Our dealing with the Customer (Lack of) Service has been absolutely nothing but disappointing. By talking to them, we understand: they don’t know the products, they don’t camp, and they definitely are not interested in customer service. We even talked to a Customer (Lack of) Service manager named Sasha that said three times she would check for us and call us back - she never called back - NEVER! Due to the telephone answering protocol, the entire organization, except Customer (Lack of) Service, is shielded from being contacted by the public. Just due to the organization shielding via the telephone recorded protocol, is ample warning that the company is dishonest and disinterested. Through incredible diligent investigation, I managed to ascertain the Vice President of Sales, Josh Mi**** and his office phone number. Upon contacting his voice mail, he did not return my phone call three times. Finally, I used someone else’s phone and he answered. This guy said, it didn’t matter to him, he didn’t really care at all, and he was not going to do anything to address the issue. We were definitely stunned at his indifference and uncaring attitude. In my professional life I dealt quite often with company executives and I really don’t remember being treated so harshly by any company representative as I was treated by Josh. The camper is ok, but I would not buy anything from Keystone/Cougar again because of the uncaring, unprofessional, discourteous, big company attitude. If you do buy from Keystone/Cougar, be prepared for absolutely NO customer service. The whole company really is built on “not caring” from my perspective and dealings.
- John and Phyllis Abraham, Missouri

2021-09-13 2015 Keystone Cougar 244RLSWE View Listings

I'll write this simply as a story of my experiences. Wife and I originally had a 32ft Forest River Salem 5th wheel RV which was 'OK' but quite heavy and chunky, the old square-slab-fronted aluminum-finish type. At 10yrs old it had a few things needing attention, while also being a bit big for just 2 of us when we preferred Boondocking off the grid roughing it out in the wilds. So I traded the Salem in for this smaller 5th wheel, the smallest I think I could find, while also being a more-common type. When collected from Santa Rosa CA, I had to join heavy fast-moving freeway traffic quickly and my truck towing this trailer moved SO easily, as if it was not there, feeling lighter and aerodynamically better than our previous RV. The all-in-one fiberglass sides are a great benefit. When you downsize in length, it's invariably the kitchen area that gets hit with the most reduction, so the wife wasn't so happy, but there's only so much you can fit into a 27ft RV while still retaining an acceptable amount of wriggle room. She adapted very well and was still able to cook a full (15lb) turkey dinner at one point! The inbuilt (propane/12v) furnace isn't very economical and quite noisy, so we preferred to use a Big Buddy Mr Heater propane heater, which quietly and quickly warmed the RV in a few minutes. The aircon takes awhile to cool a warm RV but this is really the case for all RV's. Admittedly the insulation in the nose was almost non-existent so I removed the inside front trim to insert a lot of insulation, and fill some draughty gaps. I like the layout design of this RV in that, even with the slide-out retracted, it's still possible (just, if you're slim) to squeeze past between the kitchen counter and the slide-out bench seat, meaning you can still 'live in it' (including having access to the fridge!) with the slide-out in if camping at a restricted location. I'd rate the build quality as 'typical'. I believe - and this has been borne out by guys I've talked to in repair shops - that it doesn't matter whether you go for a cheaper or higher-end manufacturer, you can still get a lemon, or a good RV, just by pot-luck! So sometimes cabinet shelves can fall down while driving along rough roads, or bodywork can come away, or you find staples sticking out of the carpet, simply because they throw these things together 'on the clock'. You need to expect this if you're a Newbie to RV's! I incorporated so many personal mods on my RV, such as 6 solar panels in the roof, meaning voiding warranties, but I didn't have any major issues I couldn't handle by myself requiring me to consider any claims. This RV, just as most others, had a lot of 'dead space' hidden behind blank panels that I removed and made better use of. In 6 years our Cougar traveled 29,000miles on 9 trips, covering 11 western USA states, staying at 127 camping locations - nearly all for FREE thanks to its Boondocking capabilities! That was thanks to my modifications with adding solar and lithium batteries but also we learned to economize and the water/dump tanks could last us several weeks between servicing them. Overall I find the Cougar an average but quite acceptable model, and would recommend it.
- Dave R, California

2021-09-05 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RDS View Listings

Love the trailer, however when they installed the incommand system they used a Sawzall to cut a hole in a inner wall to pass wiring through and cut into the sewer pipe from the toilet And Didn't repair the pipe, it was obviously damaged. At first I couldn't see the cut but used my phone camera to get the angle. The only reason I found it was a small hint of sewer oder and Flys going behind the wall in the lower storage area.My awning bracket popped off the side of the trailer after one month of purchase while driving down the road. Didn't loose the awning was able to tape it till I could stop and have it fixed correctly. Trailers are notorious for issues so I am not surprised, but am disappointed.the fresh water filler tube was also installed badly so it was very difficult to fill. When they installed the TV wifi antenna system the put the interior position directly over the corner of the slide upper corner so you can not install the wifi inside because the slide will not come in all the way or knock wifi module off the ceiling. Fortunately I use the phone Hotspot otherwise I would have to put a 6x6 inch notch in the upper valance on the left side of the slide. Not good planning positioning. These are issues I don't like , however some will be fixed and overall after 4 months and 3 trips we are happy with the Floorplan. We owned a different brand for 13 years prior to this one, with small age related issues, nothing from the factory.
- Tom Turner, Nevada

2021-08-29 2019 Keystone Cougar 368MBI View Listings

It has a great floor plan. Not your traditional bunk room. We used the mid bunk with queen pull out couch as a second private bedroom. The fireplace really heats the place in October...super cozy. The center island and open floor plan is homey!
- amy s wozniczka, Minnesota

2021-08-23 2009 Keystone Cougar 26RLS View Listings

2009 keystone cougar is the perfect size. I towed it behind my Ford F-350 and never knew I was back there. Everything works from the fridge to the ac/heater to the TV. Since its a fifth wheel it doesn't move back and forth on the highway with wind very stable. This camper with hutch and generator gas everything you need to go camping comfortably with the family this weekend.
- Keith Headley, Colorado

2021-08-21 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RES21 View Listings

We purchased this trailer from Sky River RV in Paso Robles. Good floor plan, nice design unit. Easy to tow. Got the rear Furrion back up camera and installed the side camera options myself as the side lights were the type that Furrion made where the side cameras plug in. Took the unit out 3 times in 4 months. Every time we had some issues. Two major issues, one minor one. Minor issue first: There are no adequate instructions for the Command Unit to control heat/cool for the camper. All the literature is vague, "your type may, or may not have" type general instructions that are useless. Even though we had a "walkthrough" orientation at the dealership, it was never explained to us that the Command Unit had 2 zone capability. Because our unit was smaller, only one zone was enabled - the back zone. We were trying to control the heater with the front zone. We called the dealership (it was the weekend, so that was useless), they gave us a 24/7 number to call...it was the wrong number and the guy sounded angry we called. We finally figured out the controls by "Shirlock Holmes" detective work and experimentation pushing buttons more than one time switches modes from heating/cooling and off, stuff like that that is not written down anywhere. The major problems: The water system pump would not turn off after using water. This was an intermittent problem - sometimes it would shut off, sometimes it wouldn't. On our first trip out, the pump ran all night and drained the battery to 0. We took it in for service. They told us that the battery installed was not adequate for dry camping and that was the cause. Got the classic two 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series setup in. Took the camper out again, same problem. Took the trailer in for service again. They pressured up the system (this time it pressured up and the pump turned off) and let it sit without cycling the water on/off. The pump did not turn on, they called it good. Took it out again - same problem. In addition to the water pump problem recurring this time, the motorized awning fabric had come undone from the trailer. No wind, no pine cones falling on it - it just came undone. Took the unit in again for service. This time my wife had written a scorching review on Yelp. It was like someone flipped a switch. Sky River got with it and repaired the pump. Turned out there were 2 problems. The switch on the pump to turn it off at high pressure was turning the pump off at 50psi. It is supposed to be around 40psi or so. There was a leaky fitting at the winterizing valve that was allowing air in on the suction side. They replaced the pump, cycled the pump on and off, from 0 to off and from startup at 30psi to off. The problem was fixed. As for the fabric on the awning: we were told that Sky River had to go through Keystone to get the warranty repair approved and the fabric had to come from them. It was going to take a couple of weeks, so I brought the trailer home. At this time of writing, it has been 2 months since Sky River ordered the fabric. I called the manufacturer of the awning about getting replacement fabric. They told me that it takes from 48 to 72 hours to get it, fab it up and ship. I then called Sky River and asked the status of our warranty claim. They haven't heard from Keystone yet. I told them what the awning manufacturer told me. Allowing for shipping time, it should take only 2 weeks. There were no shortages of that color fabric or anything like that. If Sky River were to bypass Keystone and get the fabric directly then get reimbursed, it would "void the warranty". In conclusion to all this, If we knew then what we know now, we would have chosen another manufacturer and model trailer. Do your research, read the reviews on Yelp and here and of course, Caveat Emptor.
- Jim McKnight, California

2021-07-15 2021 Keystone Cougar 29BHS View Listings

We bought this rv trailer for the family to enjoy, but this has been the biggest hunk of junk. We purchased this from camping world and when it comes to help with anything they are useless. We have had nothing but problems with the auto leveling jacks and the icommand,this weekend we took it out for the 5th time and again the and again nothing but problems. The power converter went out, the Icommand went out,the auto leveling jacks didn't work and the air conditioning unit kept shutting down and freezing over. Thank goodness we were up where it was cool at night. Thankfully we are Goodsam members and bought the 5 year warranty because everyone at camping world are USELESS!! If there wasn't a fire restriction there i probably would have torched this hunk.
- David, Nevada

2021-07-09 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS View Listings

This has been the best RV I have owned. Tires had to be replaced to Goodyear Endurance. A/C 2 keep it cool in the Summer, King-size bed wife likes, have large TV in bedroom, one 50 in. In living room and one swing out TV for outside viewing. 2 large awnings provide dry outside in light rains. Tanks are large for Dry camping. Lots of lighting inside and out, rear view camera makes backing up and driving view great when you want to make a Lane change. Pantry for supplies and lots of storage. New Air shower head and large seat in shower make it easy to take a shower.
- Thomson Gallagher, Florida

2021-06-19 2016 Keystone Cougar 33RES View Listings

This is a luxurious Travel Trailer. It is very comfortable with two wonderful recliners and a sofa bed. This trailer sports a King Size Bed with a $ inch memory foam topper. It has stereo speakers both inside and outside the Trailer. We are also including a Portable RV Waste Tote Tank. Happy days are in store for whomever purchases this trailer from us.
- David DeWitt, Tennessee

2021-06-06 2021 Keystone Cougar 368MBI View Listings

Bought my couger 36'8" MBL just love the room it has only had one issue with it the skylight in the bathroom leaked took to camping world and the fixed for nothing. I see now there is a recall on this.They ordered anemone and had it in 5 days it a great unit
- Dave Yonke, Wisconsin

2021-06-05 2019 Keystone Cougar 367FLS View Listings

First ad foremost, I would never buy another Keystone product again. Started having problems with the new double door Dometic fridge from day 1. It was loud. Loud enough to eep you awake at night. When Camping World couldn't fix the issue, Thats was it. Tried calling Customer service and al I got was week upon week of "Fluff talk". Camping World ever even took out a repair order on it. Thank God I have proof they worked on it. The issue has never been resolved. They talk you right through until your warranty is up, then it's "Talk to Dometic". ALSO, the floors are very flimsy. After the second year it becomes even more noticeable. Its not just mine neither. Our friend has a 2019 Travel trailer and his floors are terrible. I compare Keystone to the cheapest of the cheapest junk you can buy. I Wouldn't even try and sell this piece of $45,000 junk. I'll try and trade it in at some point at any place other the Camping World.
- DENNIS CANARIO, Rhode Island

2021-06-02 2018 Keystone Cougar 369BHS View Listings

Love how roomy this RV is. Love all the storage, every room has lots of storage. Love the auto leveling system. Love the outdoor kitchen!! So many nice perks!! You could easily live in this camper full time.
- Amy Cole, Michigan

2021-05-27 2017 Keystone Cougar 30RLI View Listings

Very nice, comfortable and roomy! This unit is perfect for extended living for a couple or individual, or a weekend at the lake. Plenty of storage, heated underbelly is great for all weather. Automatic leveling makes setting up a breeze. My husband and I loved it!
- Anna Lohman, Oklahoma

2021-05-23 2014 Keystone Cougar 277RLS View Listings

We purchased this unit new in October of 2013, it’s a 2014 year model. We have only had one warranty repair in all the time we’ve owned it. We live in our 5th wheel approximately 6 months out of a year. We do the normal maintenance on the rig and yes, cabinet doors etc aren’t what they used to be, but these are well made trailers. As I read some of the reviews it’s obvious these folks lack the skills to make small repairs on the road. You may experience a problem here and there but, consider this “tiny house” is experiencing a 7 earthquake worth of stress every time you go somewhere. Keystone builds a great unit IMHO.
- Bob , Oregon

2021-05-19 2020 Keystone Cougar 364BHL View Listings

What a royal piece of crap! Plain and simple poor workmanship and horrible construction. This company should be closed total junk I never would ever purchase an rv from this company. I would like to tow it down to their factory and burn it in front of them. I had problems from day one and it just keeps getting worse. The shower floor pan is made of paper thin floor which broke, and the cheap faucet behind the wall was leaking ruined all my floor in the rv. This is the latest I am building a real shower pan and re doing all my floors in the rv. All bathroom and kitchen. They never put the shower in properly a total mess and it always was wobbly no support ruined my floors in the rv. I had lots of issues from day one its been a nightmare. I had to change the converter and my main ac quit working as well had to fix my hot water heater and my furnace quit working. Its an on going mess. I got a contractor re doing my floor and I am custom making a new shower which will not ever break everything in this rv is bottom shelf and not worth a dime. Poor construction! Do not ever buy anything from this company
- ermond nathanson, California

2021-05-16 2019 Keystone Cougar 367FLS View Listings

Perfect for avid campers or full-time RVers! I especially love the floor plan. The front living setup feels so much more cozy and intimate in the living room and so much more open and spacious in the bedroom/bathroom area. The front and back door setup allows for separate entry into the bedroom, perfect for those who are early risers or late-nighters alike.
- Jeff Stevenson, California

2021-05-12 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS View Listings

I’ve put 2500 miles on the trailer. You know it’s there behind you but it does make the overall ride more comfortable in the truck. The accommodations in the trailer are adequate for longer duration trips and are great for short one as well..just pull-in or back-in, let the levelers work by pushing a button, hook up the water power and sewer and life is easy. I’ve setup and settled in low as 25 minutes.
- Chuck Sims, Texas

2021-05-10 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS View Listings

This is a great camper. It sleep 7 comfortably, more with younger children. It has ample space for indoor sleeping and preparing food. The water heater does quite well for heating 6 gallons at a time (both, gas and electric). An upgraded bed makes it far more comfortable in the bedroom as well. The hide-a-bed couch is comfortable. One draw back is the lack of built-in storage for clothes, but a properly stage suitcase under the bunks resolves that. All the bugs have been worked out and it operates like a champ, even the AC on a 20amp service.
- chuck sims, Texas

2021-05-07 2021 Keystone Cougar 26RBS21 View Listings

We love our 22RBS! We purchased new mid year last summer and have had no issues. I’m not sure about warranty work because we have not had any issues. We wanted a couples camper for our frequent camping trips. We are weekend warriors and this trailer is perfect for us. We have the theatre seating and no dinette. The small counter works well for us or we use a small table. This trailers storage is amazing and the king bed were big features for us. It’s a studio apartment on wheels! Someday we may want a bigger floor plan but this is perfect for us now. We travel with our cat and he loves it too. My only con is the small counter in the bathroom but it’s functional and making the bathroom bigger would impact the HUGE closet we have. We tow the trailer with a F-150, 2.7L Eco-boost with tow package. If someone is looking for a short trailer that’s packed with big features, the 22RBS is a great option. There was no option for our trailer in the drop down. This is a 22RBS.
- Denise Teague, Michigan

2021-05-03 2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBSWE View Listings

We bought the trailer in November 2020, stored it for the winter, and started using it in March 2021. Camping temps have ranged from 19 degrees to 85 degrees, allowing us to fully test the climate control and comfort. Three trips so far and ten more to go this season. Campsites have ranged from full hook-up to boondocking. Towed about 650 miles total to this date. Only two problems so far - the fridge AC plug was not inserted into the AC outlet and one heating duct was not attached to the main air box - both trivial, DIY, fixes. It has one of the most livable floor plans we've encountered. We opted for the theater seats vs dinette, and use a small pop-up table when we want to eat inside. The table can be hidden next to the theater seats when collapsed. It's our first RV so we can't provide any comparisons to others. Overall, the 22RBSWE has been an enjoyable experience.
- Jim, Colorado

2021-04-18 2021 Keystone Cougar 316RLS View Listings

Quality is not good, from windows that won't stay closed, broken screws in several areas that were not repaired, now furnace wasn't stay on. Even found a hinge under the table that dealer has no idea why it is there. They need to spend some time on quality control or I would not recommend anyone buy a keystone product. We will take this back to the dealer, who has been great for the third time in 3 weeks. We also had several cabinet doors that were broken and are being replaced, another cabinet door that was not properly finished and Keystone won't replace because it is not broken, just looks bad.
- Bradley Wachter, Indiana

2021-04-14 2021 Keystone Cougar 25RDS View Listings

Drove a 873 miles one way to get this floor plan since not available most places. If you buy a keystone Cougar you better make sure everything works otherwise their customer service is the WORST I have ever experienced. I called for help. I simply got a too bad. Yes, those exact words. New, drove it to Texas. Toilet does not hold water or work proper, smells all the time. We are living in trailer while our home is being repaired. The ONLY authorized dealer cant see or help us for 8 weeks. Called Keystone to see if there was another option, Candy with Keystone customer service said well you are lucky some are several months out. Sorry, too bad we can't help you. I have owned this trailer for 10 days. If you want any warranty or customer service DO NOT BUY A KEYSTONE. I am sorry I did. I only wish I could give it a negative star!!
- DC Hody, Texas

2021-04-07 2017 Keystone Cougar 333MKS View Listings

So far every fan including the stove, a.c. fan quit working.I've only had it a year and a half. They are made so cheap, but they sure do cost a bundle. So do the replacement parts. I'm so disappointed with the quality. I wouldn't buy another.
- Judie Burnette, California

2021-04-05 2018 Keystone Cougar 32RLI18 View Listings

This unit is great to live in. Roomy and comfortable all nice features to make it a home. Cougar is an excellent line of camper with 3 slide outs gives a lot of space for moving around. We have 2 large dogs ans space was never an issue.
- Bruce Boyer, Florida