Keystone Cougar Half-Ton Travel Trailer Reviews on RV Insider (42)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar Half-Ton Travel Trailer RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Rich Charlson from Florida says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

We purchase new oct 13, 2018 and took delivery oct 19. Nothing but problems with [dealer] and Keystone. All occurred within 2 weeks, but took over a month for them to admit problems. On dec 26 dometic furnace went bad. Both Keystone
- Rich Charlson, Florida

2021-04-08 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

Purchased this 2021 Keystone cougar half-ton July 29,2020. Our first camping trip was August 22-26th 2020. We soon found out a ton of things was wrong. We noticed as we brought the trailer home the tail light was out, the cabinet would not stay closed, the battery would not stay charged, the fridge would not stay on with propane, the second morning the awning broke snapping back onto the roof causing a hole. found out the metal was defective on awning rollout bar. We called nearest Camping world found we need to take it home until appointment came available in CW Greenville September 3 2020.We took trailer in explaining everything to them. only to be accused of the awning be out during a storm. No it did not rain sunny hot days. long story short seven months have passed we still have no trailer. that's right in the shop. I would call this trailer a piece of crap would not recommend no one purchase a keystone product. I am beyond pissed.. I guess when we do get it back I will have to clean it from top to bottom and have tanks flushed once again. We had camping world winterize it. I am glad we did or we have a bigger mess. I am just feeling this trailer will cause us more headaches time and money. We are not impressed at all by this camper or the manufactures
- Katherine Hood, North Carolina

2021-04-02 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

We have only had our cougar a year now. Within 8 months, the floor hand complety came loose from the boards, we found a hole in the slide, the sink in kitchen and bathroom came unattached from the casing. Within the first month of having it the microwave blew up. I understand life happens but, its bad when keystone won't even stand behind their products. We paid for the extended warranty and this peice of crap cost us $2800 to get fixed. Will never buy Keystone again. I regret not spending the extra and buying the nicer solitude.
- Pamela Hudson, Mississippi

2021-02-05 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Hope I can save someone the trouble of buys a keystone. I bought a 2021 keystone Cougar and have been let down at every turn horrible customer service at the Keystone place horrible product I got a three page list of things wrong with my trailer they refused to fix most of them even though they’re factory defect’s. I’ve had three shops tell me that they’re not gonna work on my crappy trailer and they won’t stand behind their product and give me my money back or give me a new trailer. This thing it leaks everywhere. Literally everything has been broken on it I mean it’s a joke I’ve been in the shop like 45 times and it is ridiculous and I can’t even get the whole thing fixed because no shop wants to work on it and Keystone won’t stand behind their product they denying to fix a whole bunch of stuff even know it is factory defects I would never buy another trailer for this place they are a joke.
- Donald, Missouri

2021-01-16 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

When we purchased this RV in 2019, we were in love with it. We had planned to live in it during our retirement. We loved the floor plan. Then COVID hit in 2020 and my husband began working from home. We decided to live in our camper for 3 months in 2020 and traveled further than our backyard. We pulled the RV from Missouri to Maryland. That's when the trouble began. Our ceiling began to fall off. We thought than when traveling cross country the ceiling should stay on and that there was a manufacturer defect. But when we got home at the end of 3 months, Keystone wouldn't fix the ceiling. They said it was out of warranty (we even purchased extended warranties). Keystone does not stand behind their product and do not care that their manufacturing is of poor quality.
- Kay Woelfle, Missouri

2021-01-13 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

This camper is a breeze to pull with a half ton truck. It's very comfortable because of the spacious layout and higher ceiling. There's so much storage in every area. The kitchen has a stainless undermounted sink with a cover for additional counter space and the stove has a glass cover for more counter space. The king size bed is so comfortable with hanging storage on each side and above. The table located in the slide converts into a bed and has more storage beneath. Windows surround the table, kitchen and bedroom to let fresh air in as well are two skylights. It's a little home away from home.
- Debbie High, Florida

2021-01-02 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

Purchased new @ Noble RV in Owatonna, MN. Love the layout, esp. with a teenage daughter and the bunk room (not a bunk area w/ curtains). Had several issues that were discovered after multiple trips (6 in 2020, July - October). These include: Blackwater tank flush not functional (known and common issue, apparently, have the dealer verify @ delivery walk-through, my fault I didn't). Antennae issues- discovered when coax didn't work in bunkroom, was informed the "master unit" or whatever it's called, from which all signals are sent throughout the unit, was faulty. Latch on front hatch is not in the best position. It latches, but it takes quite a bit of force on the latch itself to get the hatch door underneath it- and it's plastic ;). Other items were cosmetic in nature. There are also things that we've had on our bumper-pull that this doesn't have- minor but nice: An under-entry stair light, an amber "night light" outside of the entry door, and a small light by the auto-level pad for night arrivals. All-in-all, this is a quality, beautiful, non-behemoth 5th wheel, with a great layout and that tows exceptionally well (Ram 3500 w/ Cummins HO Diesel). Finally, Noble RV has been great in rectifying these issues, and were apparently embarrassed that they should have caught the blackwater flush issue prior to us taking delivery.
- Tim Q, Minnesota

2021-01-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBS View Listings

We ordered our Cougar in 2018 and they were actually starting the 2019's models, so we got a 2019 Cougar. We had a few defects that Keystone should have caught but the dealer's tech caught them before taking ownership. Dealer fixed them and we were good. After the first year we had 2 other things happen and one of them dealer took care of it but the other we had to pay out of pocket. When buying a trailer new or used go early before time to pick it up and do your own walk through looking for things to be looked at. When a new trailer is sold the dealership should be doing a PDI before the customer actually takes ownership. If you find things to be looked at show it to your salesman then when the tech takes you through your walk through be sure they were fixed.I gave the factory warranty a 2 star because we had a bad toilet and Keystone would not cover it. It was a bad toilet from Factory, course it didn't mess up until a month after the year warranty went away.Dealership tried to get it covered and I did also but to no avail. We love our trailer and if anything was to happen to this one we would get another Cougar.
- Gary Buckles, Oklahoma

2020-09-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SABWE View Listings

Bought 3 months ago, brand new. So far ceiling strips falling, leak from bath skylight and kitchen wall is totally ruined with water damage from roof (whole left side and kitchen cabinets need replaced) along with repair to tire well because of tire blowout. This is a lemon and we have to wait 19 days to get it into Camping World. This cannot be repaired. New camper is needed.
- Cindy Thomas, Florida

2020-08-07 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

I own a 32rli Keystone Cougar.Has all the bells and Whistles.This is the cheapest built trailer in the last 6 I have owned. Polar Pack is a joke. Don't buy this trailer is my advice. Looks are deceiving!! Never a Keystone product again!!
- David McCann , Colorado

2020-06-25 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE View Listings

From the first day I purchased this unit I have had nothing but problems.Walls coming apart.Trim falling off everywhere.Locks not working.Handles for draining black and grey tanks falling off. Not just the handles the whole rods.Correct track out of wack with no information about it.Brochure I was given nothing the same to what I purchased.Oven needed to be replaced.Decals falling off and were not put on straight. This unit has been at the dealer for servicing more than I have been able to use it.First month I had it had a leak. Shower door replaced and shower rebuilt. You name it ,it has had that problem. The worst is trying to get in and having it fixed.Sometimes takes a few months. Not very happy.
- Jack, British Columbia

2020-06-10 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 33SAB View Listings

Lot of room to enjoy, great for long trips and tows easy and straight sway bars and stabilizer. Opposing slides make huge living area. Having two frigs and huge pantry is great for long trips. Having a tv that retracts is great for storage and protection.
- Fred Obrock , Illinois

2020-06-09 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

On my first weekend trip the large storage door came off in my hands, screws went flying, a floor panel came up during vacuuming and had to be glued back down. One our second weekend outing I noticed as the pull out was going out 6 staples sticking out of the thin wall to the left of the pullout, I called the dealer and will take it in today. So far the quality of build is poor. I have gone through all the cabinet screws to tighten and have found about half of the screws will not tighten down they just spin in the hole, I will be replacing all screws with slightly larger ones myself.
- Bryan Gibert, Colorado

2020-04-21 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

Scam alert! Worst purchase I've ever made. Bought this trailer brand new One year ago and have had issue after issue. Heaters broken, a/c is broken, leaky plumbing, leaky roof, and zero responsibility taken from the manufacturer!!!
- Daniele, British Columbia

2020-04-13 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBSWE View Listings

Overall it’s been enjoyable with a few problems , kitchen sink faucet was leaking and no one caught it until it destroyed the cabinet face this was replaced under warranty , cabinets nick easy, but my main complaint is my dinette cushions , because you use propane for cooking and heating it creates moisture , and I do use a humidifier and damp rid it helps a lot but you need to wipe the slide out walls and cushions which right around a year it seems like the cushion material is rotting , so look at yours close because they won’t warranty them and it’s over 500.00 plus shipping and you have to replace all cushions , this is most disappointing because the company and unit seems to be one of the best on the market
- R gibson, Washington

2020-01-18 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RKS View Listings

Purchased a cougar 26RKS after owning a Bullet Premier 22RBS. We settled on the Cougar after reviewing several models, quality reviews, features and floor plans. We have now owned our trailer for about 1 year and have camped some 30-40 days, on about 10 trips. What we most like about it is the floor plan: for a 26ft RV we find the floor plan spacious, seating in front of the TV is great, we like the fireplace, good size bathroom and king size bed. Rear kitchen for us works best and we like having two doors to access bedroom and kitchen. Outside fridge did not come with a turn-off switch, which makes it difficult to disconnect, and the capital grill is not as useful as a stove would have been, but we can still get some use out of it. Unlike some owners, we have not had any major structural or furnace issues. So far we have also not experienced failures with air conditioner, stabilizers or appliances. Cabinets are holding up well although we do need to secure doors with brackets before we travel. No leaks or wall paper issues reported with exception of a strip that peeled off during travel but we were able to glue it back easily. Like with any trailer, husband proactively greases bearings, check stabilizers, inspect roof and checks tire pressure before we travel, and so far we have not had any issues with towing or with tires. I would consider a Cougar again and do recommend this model. That being said, where you buy it matters, and there are a few areas where Keystone could improve greatly. TV cable disconnected from antena somewhere inside the walls a few weeks after purchase. We considered taking to a local dealer but given the service reviews of the closet choice - Camping World, and the likelihood that would take several weeks to repair, we decided to attempt repair ourselves before we would bring it in. We fished the wire out of the wall and secured correctly after a few tries. We blame this one on quality control during assembly. In comparison with the Bullet Premier, my husband complains about towability of the trailer - it is not as smooth due to poor air dynamics, so it drags significantly more. Toilet water seal was not aligned to hold water. After a couple calls to the dealer and watching a few videos, we were able to make adjustments to the shutting mechanism; it has since been working well. We blame this one on quality inspection at both Keystone and Dealer. Back kitchen window crank is too large for the window and is actually useless. We have to remove it and open the window manually if needed - a design flaw. The manual of trailers is usually not adequate for the model or appliances that come with it. It serves mostly as a guide, not a manual - a poor consideration to customer service and likely a result of cost cutting. We referred to the manual a few times and could not find specific information on troubleshooting or maintenance for the equipment we had in our trailer. Air conditioner works well, but is loud! For a $30,000+ unit, I wish keystone would upgrade to an A/C unit less noisy. We sometimes have to turn-off the AC to watch TV. We boon-docked in the fall and while attempting to refill the fresh water tank, we realized that we can’t just poor water in it, It actually requires pressure to be refilled - ridiculous concept when you may not have power to generate the pressure, nor the tools to do it. We had to pull the trailer out of the campsite to the nearest water station. Inconvenient design flaw; we will need to bring a battery pump next time. In-Command system is not as useful and helpful as intended and advertised. It does not measure tank levels accurately, requires a PIN nuumber EVERYTIME we need to access the panel and does not allow to remove this requirement in settings. Does not allow for more than one device to sync at the same time, which makes difficult to manage. It disconnects frequently, does not read battery life correctly, touch screen is not very responsive - need to press on slowly and firmly for it to work. The app does not allow for fingerprint of Face ID unlock - PIN required everytime as well. I am not impressed with the InCommand system, Keystone has long ways to go with this product. The mattress as in many trailers had to be replaced - not comfortable to most people I must say. The tension blinds across all windows are terrible! Tension changes during travel and need to be adjusted all the time. There are 5 across the trailer and all have issues. The screws holding the tension are not on studs and can’t support the tension. When you are able to raise the blinds, they look crooked. Terrible design - wish Keystone would use roller or built-in gliding blinds. We are currently considering replacing all blinds. Manual advises to lower the dinner table during travel. I wish keystone would start installing adjustable tables to make lowering/raising easier. It is a job to get the rods off the table and assemble again. Overall, good trailer but not without flaws.
- Thays Pritchard, Tennessee

2019-11-28 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Well, we traded a motor home for a towable. This was not our first RV purchase. We really like many of the upgrades that normally one would have to purchase to improve the Rv, ie down spouts. Still the owners manual doesn’t have enough specific information on how to operate/maintain/troubleshoot water heater, refrigerator, ac unit, which is all on a digital format ops board. We really need to stop purchasing our RV’s from Camping World, this experience was less than satisfactory, especially after finding access panels upside down, and cockeyed, sink covers missing, spare tire off the rim, and water heater plug out, not secure. That would have been a nice surprise after we hookup the water! Flooding, not a fun experience especially if you hook up when it’s dark. Oh yeah, and don’t expect corporate to get very much warranty work done. All denied. I don’t think you would purchase any model if were less than perfect for yourself. Stop treating the consumer like we don’t matter. We are the bottom line!
- Jeffrey Belliveau , North Carolina

2019-11-13 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBIWE View Listings

I have nothing but issues with this travel trailer. I found out that keystone is using defective parts in their trailer. Here is an example. The braces under my kitchen slide out failed. Keystone has issued three upgrade part. I now have braided cables that are stretched. My service department stated that keystone used the wrong screws in the cabling system. I called Keystone, since my travel trailer is over the one year warranty period, they will not stand by their product. I believe they know they had defective parts and the dollar is more important than customer service. I plan to seek remedy citing the uniform commercial code. It is illegal to knowing use defect parts and selling the product as if there is no defects. I would suggest that one way to deal with this company is to not purchase their products. Maybe they will understand that message. Buyer be aware.
- Randy canoy, Oregon

2019-10-27 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

I had always had a travel trailer, my wife to be said no more camping she hated our Grey Wolf. We got lucky the guy next to us showed us his 5th wheel camper, she said buy a 5th wheel and I will go camping. We looked at several different brand names our sales person when we started looking showed us several the the Keystone Cougar 27 RES 34 foot we were impressed with the quality of the workmanship,the room it has the quality of the future and appliances was 2nd to none. We used it as much as we could buying it in August. We are looking forward to camping as much as we can next summer she retires and I have summers off this camper will make a great summer home.
- Tom Brady, Wisconsin

2019-10-20 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

The floor plan and livability of this 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS is great; however, the quality and the craftsmanship is horrible. We camped one time before we discovered that neither the front door nor the rear door were opening and closing correctly. The dealer had to replace both doors because they were faulty. On our second trip we were attempting to climb up on the top bunk and all the screws in the top panel of the bed came loose tearing the wall covering. After a heavy rain we discovered 2 inches of rain in the front window that seeped through and soaked the bed. We can’t lock the outside grill/refrigerator unit because they installed the lock backwards. We are taking it back to the dealer a third time now to have these repairs made. We are very disappointed and feel we made a very bad choice in our purchase.
- Pat Robinson, Illinois

2019-10-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

I’m having horrible electrical problems. Water heater is not working properly. Warranty is shady AF, they need to find the problem then ask keystone if they can fix it. If your way out in west Texas living out of it be prepared to pay for the service call. When I asked Keystone for places to have warranty work completed they gave me 4. 3 of the companies told me I need a keystone support dealer and one guy offered to look it up for me which was incredibly sad. The one that did offer to do the work said that could get to it in two months. I bought this camper to live out of because everything is so expensive in west Texas but it has only cost me money. Don’t trust keystone. Let’s just say 2019 camper for sale.
- Brandon Pratt, Texas

2019-09-30 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

Tows very good. Furnace is so loud it wakes you up every time it runs. For the most part all works good. The U shape dinette is useless, no one can fit inside. The cabinets are falling apart inside trim and drawers falling apart. Adding screws and caulk to hold together. Interior is very cheap. Disappointed. It is less than two years old.
- Donald Martinez , Colorado

2019-09-18 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

We have hauled this Cougar across the country and back twice and still like this unit. Aside from the usual crappy quality control from RV manufactures with fit and finish we are pleased with how it has held up with these long road trips. It proved to be the perfect size in that it was not as awkward as our previous 36 footer for everything from gas stations to tight camping spots. Pulling it trough the mountains was a breeze even in high winds. Of course it helps having our 2500 Silverado with the Duramax engine in it. The auto leveling system worked flawlessly each and every time and having two gray tanks was useful when we stayed in one spot for a longer period of time. Would buy this again as it was just right for the two of us. Not ideal for families of four or more. Came pre wired for a backup camera which I installed and used constantly on our trips. Thus far we have not had any major issues requiring a warranty claim and given the miles that it has been towed that is saying something.
- Chuck, Ohio

2019-09-16 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Would never buy a cougar again! Two of the first four months we owned it were spent at camping World for service. Fireplace smoked when turned on during initial walkthrough. Microwave worked backwards. While there, the 7 way plug was ran over and had to be replaced. They dewinterized it when we bought it. Tried to charge us to winterize it again. Didn’t happen!!! Shortly after, all the molding started falling off on ceiling and around slides. Again at Camping World, after three weeks we’re told it’s ready. We drive the hour to go get it and NOTHING had been done! While there we saw the power hookup cover had been broken off and tv and been hit and was busted. Finally got all that rectified. Now in the last three months the slide cable motor on one slide went out and we are on our second power converter! My husband calls this camper the “Friday at 5:00” camper. Quality control rushed it out to start their weekend! Going to trade it in and take the loss at this point!
- Lynn Chalker, South Carolina

2019-08-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RESWE View Listings

Brought the new 2019 Model and had the trailer out first for 10 days in July and now have it packed on a permanent site. Our first issue was the slide brackets being buckled, second issue the emergency window in the bedroom leaks as it is not fitted correctly and after closer inspection the overall build quality of the trailer is questionable drawers not closing properly and breaking, lots of visible staples and on closer inspection cupboards poorly constructed. Thankfully (hopefully), all these issues will be rectified by our dealer (as promised). Spoke direct to Keystone and had a polite conversation with the person taking the call but at the end of the deal all I took away was that it is down to the dealer to sort out as they took no responsibility (pass the buck) and what did we expect from a mass produced unit? Our two options, one suck it up and see if the unit lasts or two look at trade in on different model and see if that is any better. Would I recommend this Couger model - looks good has bells and whistles, lacks cupboard space and after the issues and the build quality would say go in with your eyes open, it's a trailer and seems all companies have there issues!
- Roy Pierson, Alberta