Keystone Cougar Half-Ton Reviews on RV Insider (59)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar Half-Ton RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Rick Baggett from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 5th wheel 6 months ago, and the front cap is cracking. Keystone is only offering to do the BARE MINIMUM to correct the issue. I asked to speak to a manager at corp office was told NO....
- Rick Baggett, California

2020-07-01 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES View Listings

The 5th wheel Cougar half ton is very easy to tow. Hardly know its behind you. Will sleep (4) very comfortably. Only takes about 15 minutes to set up. The queen size bed and full shower are very nice perks. Features indoor and outdoor stereo system. Captain chair recliners are very comfortable and recline almost to the point of being in a bed.
- BRYAN HARTLEY, Virginia

2020-06-29 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

My family and I purchased a cougar bunk house. From day one leaks and repairs. All has been paid out of my pocket. Worst travel trailer I have every bought. First the hot water heater would work. 300 dollars later it works. Then the refrigerator went out. One circuit board later it worked. Now both toilets leak. Also the tub started leaking recently. So like I said save yourself the hassle and buy a product that a company will stand behind. We also bought the extended warranty. Too bad it takes 30 plus days to get service. Junk is the nicest way to put it!!!!
- Scott Black, Texas

2020-06-25 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE View Listings

From the first day I purchased this unit I have had nothing but problems.Walls coming apart.Trim falling off everywhere.Locks not working.Handles for draining black and grey tanks falling off. Not just the handles the whole rods.Correct track out of wack with no information about it.Brochure I was given nothing the same to what I purchased.Oven needed to be replaced.Decals falling off and were not put on straight. This unit has been at the dealer for servicing more than I have been able to use it.First month I had it had a leak. Shower door replaced and shower rebuilt. You name it ,it has had that problem. The worst is trying to get in and having it fixed.Sometimes takes a few months. Not very happy.
- Jack, British Columbia

2020-06-15 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We bought our Cougar in Feb 2020. We have had only 4 trips in it and the one trip was a 2 hour drive with 25 miles being dirt road. After the purchase we backyard camped to test everything out. Since purchase we have had to have the furnace replaced, the tank flush redone as the lines were backwards, the rubber trim on a window fixed that was coming apart. A drawer that the track came apart on and the drawer front has cut marks in. The shower drain leaked. And just got back from the 4th trip, opened it up to empty out and the fancy trim around one of the slide out windows that holds the blind had fallen onto our recliner still attached to the wall with the screw mounts at the bottom and the string mounts for the blind. Cant even get it to come loose from the wall. And the handle for the stairs leading to the bathroom and bedroom came away from the wall. The quality of some things are great. But the overall assembly is very poor. I am very upset about the money we are paying for something that keeps falling apart. Our dealer has been great to work with so far, so we are thankful of that. Just wished it was better factory put together.
- Jaylene Brower, Utah

2020-06-10 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 33SAB View Listings

Lot of room to enjoy, great for long trips and tows easy and straight sway bars and stabilizer. Opposing slides make huge living area. Having two frigs and huge pantry is great for long trips. Having a tv that retracts is great for storage and protection.
- Fred Obrock , Illinois

2020-06-09 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

On my first weekend trip the large storage door came off in my hands, screws went flying, a floor panel came up during vacuuming and had to be glued back down. One our second weekend outing I noticed as the pull out was going out 6 staples sticking out of the thin wall to the left of the pullout, I called the dealer and will take it in today. So far the quality of build is poor. I have gone through all the cabinet screws to tighten and have found about half of the screws will not tighten down they just spin in the hole, I will be replacing all screws with slightly larger ones myself.
- Bryan Gibert, Colorado

2020-05-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

I love how much entertaining room I have and the kitchen counters are more than I have ever experienced in a 5th wheel. The bathroom shower is so big and the outdoor kitchen is so nice to have. It is a very easy 5th wheel to pull.
- Marie, Tennessee

2020-04-21 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

Scam alert! Worst purchase I've ever made. Bought this trailer brand new One year ago and have had issue after issue. Heaters broken, a/c is broken, leaky plumbing, leaky roof, and zero responsibility taken from the manufacturer!!!
- Daniele, British Columbia

2020-04-13 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBSWE View Listings

Overall it’s been enjoyable with a few problems , kitchen sink faucet was leaking and no one caught it until it destroyed the cabinet face this was replaced under warranty , cabinets nick easy, but my main complaint is my dinette cushions , because you use propane for cooking and heating it creates moisture , and I do use a humidifier and damp rid it helps a lot but you need to wipe the slide out walls and cushions which right around a year it seems like the cushion material is rotting , so look at yours close because they won’t warranty them and it’s over 500.00 plus shipping and you have to replace all cushions , this is most disappointing because the company and unit seems to be one of the best on the market
- R gibson, Washington

2020-03-10 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Like stairs entrance very solid. Light on steps and easy chairs, TV and fireplace are great. Deep sinks and kitchen faucet nice. I have more counter space. 4 kitchen drawers Bathroom large shower bedroom closet needs side cabinets with selves. Dislikes kitchen cabinets only have one self and you can only reach the bottom shelf no pantry no place for cereals cans or anything. Even pot area is under sink. Very little built in selves. Molding all over falls off little staples Refrigerator makes noise. Air conditioner runs 24 hrs when hot and you can’t hear TV. Awning doesn’t work tech on phone can’t fix. Computer brain a pain in butt. Made poorLy. design Poor they need to hire women engineers to lay out kitchen. Over all not a happy camper.
- Betty Campbe , Michigan

2020-02-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

We’ve owned this for a year and a half. Even though we didn’t get to use it a lot we are happy with the purchase. Had a black tank issue, but that was fixed. We would purchase this again and always keep in mind this is a mid level RV.
- Steven Carlson, Florida

2020-02-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

We upgraded to this rv to fit our family. We love the floorplan of this rv. The first trip out the inside refrigerator stopped working trim coming loose everywhere and the black tank flushes didn't work. Needless to say it had to go back for repairs. Getting ready to take back again which will be twice in 12 months. The back jacks have stopped working more trim coming loose and bedroom door coming loose from wall. Be very cautious when buying a cougar half ton 5th wheel!!! I will never purchase a another Keystone product very poor quality!!!!!
- Robert Campbell, Virginia

2020-01-18 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RKS View Listings

Purchased a cougar 26RKS after owning a Bullet Premier 22RBS. We settled on the Cougar after reviewing several models, quality reviews, features and floor plans. We have now owned our trailer for about 1 year and have camped some 30-40 days, on about 10 trips. What we most like about it is the floor plan: for a 26ft RV we find the floor plan spacious, seating in front of the TV is great, we like the fireplace, good size bathroom and king size bed. Rear kitchen for us works best and we like having two doors to access bedroom and kitchen. Outside fridge did not come with a turn-off switch, which makes it difficult to disconnect, and the capital grill is not as useful as a stove would have been, but we can still get some use out of it. Unlike some owners, we have not had any major structural or furnace issues. So far we have also not experienced failures with air conditioner, stabilizers or appliances. Cabinets are holding up well although we do need to secure doors with brackets before we travel. No leaks or wall paper issues reported with exception of a strip that peeled off during travel but we were able to glue it back easily. Like with any trailer, husband proactively greases bearings, check stabilizers, inspect roof and checks tire pressure before we travel, and so far we have not had any issues with towing or with tires. I would consider a Cougar again and do recommend this model. That being said, where you buy it matters, and there are a few areas where Keystone could improve greatly. TV cable disconnected from antena somewhere inside the walls a few weeks after purchase. We considered taking to a local dealer but given the service reviews of the closet choice - Camping World, and the likelihood that would take several weeks to repair, we decided to attempt repair ourselves before we would bring it in. We fished the wire out of the wall and secured correctly after a few tries. We blame this one on quality control during assembly. In comparison with the Bullet Premier, my husband complains about towability of the trailer - it is not as smooth due to poor air dynamics, so it drags significantly more. Toilet water seal was not aligned to hold water. After a couple calls to the dealer and watching a few videos, we were able to make adjustments to the shutting mechanism; it has since been working well. We blame this one on quality inspection at both Keystone and Dealer. Back kitchen window crank is too large for the window and is actually useless. We have to remove it and open the window manually if needed - a design flaw. The manual of trailers is usually not adequate for the model or appliances that come with it. It serves mostly as a guide, not a manual - a poor consideration to customer service and likely a result of cost cutting. We referred to the manual a few times and could not find specific information on troubleshooting or maintenance for the equipment we had in our trailer. Air conditioner works well, but is loud! For a $30,000+ unit, I wish keystone would upgrade to an A/C unit less noisy. We sometimes have to turn-off the AC to watch TV. We boon-docked in the fall and while attempting to refill the fresh water tank, we realized that we can’t just poor water in it, It actually requires pressure to be refilled - ridiculous concept when you may not have power to generate the pressure, nor the tools to do it. We had to pull the trailer out of the campsite to the nearest water station. Inconvenient design flaw; we will need to bring a battery pump next time. In-Command system is not as useful and helpful as intended and advertised. It does not measure tank levels accurately, requires a PIN nuumber EVERYTIME we need to access the panel and does not allow to remove this requirement in settings. Does not allow for more than one device to sync at the same time, which makes difficult to manage. It disconnects frequently, does not read battery life correctly, touch screen is not very responsive - need to press on slowly and firmly for it to work. The app does not allow for fingerprint of Face ID unlock - PIN required everytime as well. I am not impressed with the InCommand system, Keystone has long ways to go with this product. The mattress as in many trailers had to be replaced - not comfortable to most people I must say. The tension blinds across all windows are terrible! Tension changes during travel and need to be adjusted all the time. There are 5 across the trailer and all have issues. The screws holding the tension are not on studs and can’t support the tension. When you are able to raise the blinds, they look crooked. Terrible design - wish Keystone would use roller or built-in gliding blinds. We are currently considering replacing all blinds. Manual advises to lower the dinner table during travel. I wish keystone would start installing adjustable tables to make lowering/raising easier. It is a job to get the rods off the table and assemble again. Overall, good trailer but not without flaws.
- Thays Pritchard, Tennessee

2019-11-28 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Well, we traded a motor home for a towable. This was not our first RV purchase. We really like many of the upgrades that normally one would have to purchase to improve the Rv, ie down spouts. Still the owners manual doesn’t have enough specific information on how to operate/maintain/troubleshoot water heater, refrigerator, ac unit, which is all on a digital format ops board. We really need to stop purchasing our RV’s from Camping World, this experience was less than satisfactory, especially after finding access panels upside down, and cockeyed, sink covers missing, spare tire off the rim, and water heater plug out, not secure. That would have been a nice surprise after we hookup the water! Flooding, not a fun experience especially if you hook up when it’s dark. Oh yeah, and don’t expect corporate to get very much warranty work done. All denied. I don’t think you would purchase any model if were less than perfect for yourself. Stop treating the consumer like we don’t matter. We are the bottom line!
- Jeffrey Belliveau , North Carolina

2019-11-13 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBIWE View Listings

I have nothing but issues with this travel trailer. I found out that keystone is using defective parts in their trailer. Here is an example. The braces under my kitchen slide out failed. Keystone has issued three upgrade part. I now have braided cables that are stretched. My service department stated that keystone used the wrong screws in the cabling system. I called Keystone, since my travel trailer is over the one year warranty period, they will not stand by their product. I believe they know they had defective parts and the dollar is more important than customer service. I plan to seek remedy citing the uniform commercial code. It is illegal to knowing use defect parts and selling the product as if there is no defects. I would suggest that one way to deal with this company is to not purchase their products. Maybe they will understand that message. Buyer be aware.
- Randy canoy, Oregon

2019-11-12 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought our 2019 Keystone Hideout January 2019 used 4 times and we have leaks all in the master bedroom. The dealership has been back and forth with the manufacturer for repairs. We have additional warranty that we bought for a additional 1000. Dollars. And Keystone does not want to help at all. Learned that the factory warranty that we were told was free , is NOT FREE, they require annual check ups in order to keep the warranty so when we brought it in for the leaks we learned that the FREE WARRANTY will be 217.00 every time. Soon as I can we will trade it in and buy from a different MANUFACTURER. This was our first RV purchase and will never buy or recommend KEYSTONE MANUFACTURER.
- Denise Myers , Texas

2019-10-27 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

I had always had a travel trailer, my wife to be said no more camping she hated our Grey Wolf. We got lucky the guy next to us showed us his 5th wheel camper, she said buy a 5th wheel and I will go camping. We looked at several different brand names our sales person when we started looking showed us several the the Keystone Cougar 27 RES 34 foot we were impressed with the quality of the workmanship,the room it has the quality of the future and appliances was 2nd to none. We used it as much as we could buying it in August. We are looking forward to camping as much as we can next summer she retires and I have summers off this camper will make a great summer home.
- Tom Brady, Wisconsin

2019-10-20 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

The floor plan and livability of this 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS is great; however, the quality and the craftsmanship is horrible. We camped one time before we discovered that neither the front door nor the rear door were opening and closing correctly. The dealer had to replace both doors because they were faulty. On our second trip we were attempting to climb up on the top bunk and all the screws in the top panel of the bed came loose tearing the wall covering. After a heavy rain we discovered 2 inches of rain in the front window that seeped through and soaked the bed. We can’t lock the outside grill/refrigerator unit because they installed the lock backwards. We are taking it back to the dealer a third time now to have these repairs made. We are very disappointed and feel we made a very bad choice in our purchase.
- Pat Robinson, Illinois

2019-10-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

I know buying any thing new has a few bugs we are in reno sweltering heat handles it fine now to tahoe for the winter have used it on a few below freezing nights, heater went out bnb one time buy a filter for inside and out. Also after un hooking the camper our first time auto leveling stopped working. Still waiting on a Jack under warranty. The place we bought our camper from has been nothing but helpful. If your sales person isn't willing to answer ur most seemingly dumb question don't buy from them...
- Paul, California

2019-10-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

I’m having horrible electrical problems. Water heater is not working properly. Warranty is shady AF, they need to find the problem then ask keystone if they can fix it. If your way out in west Texas living out of it be prepared to pay for the service call. When I asked Keystone for places to have warranty work completed they gave me 4. 3 of the companies told me I need a keystone support dealer and one guy offered to look it up for me which was incredibly sad. The one that did offer to do the work said that could get to it in two months. I bought this camper to live out of because everything is so expensive in west Texas but it has only cost me money. Don’t trust keystone. Let’s just say 2019 camper for sale.
- Brandon Pratt, Texas

2019-09-30 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

Tows very good. Furnace is so loud it wakes you up every time it runs. For the most part all works good. The U shape dinette is useless, no one can fit inside. The cabinets are falling apart inside trim and drawers falling apart. Adding screws and caulk to hold together. Interior is very cheap. Disappointed. It is less than two years old.
- Donald Martinez , Colorado

2019-09-18 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

We have hauled this Cougar across the country and back twice and still like this unit. Aside from the usual crappy quality control from RV manufactures with fit and finish we are pleased with how it has held up with these long road trips. It proved to be the perfect size in that it was not as awkward as our previous 36 footer for everything from gas stations to tight camping spots. Pulling it trough the mountains was a breeze even in high winds. Of course it helps having our 2500 Silverado with the Duramax engine in it. The auto leveling system worked flawlessly each and every time and having two gray tanks was useful when we stayed in one spot for a longer period of time. Would buy this again as it was just right for the two of us. Not ideal for families of four or more. Came pre wired for a backup camera which I installed and used constantly on our trips. Thus far we have not had any major issues requiring a warranty claim and given the miles that it has been towed that is saying something.
- Chuck, Ohio

2019-09-16 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Would never buy a cougar again! Two of the first four months we owned it were spent at camping World for service. Fireplace smoked when turned on during initial walkthrough. Microwave worked backwards. While there, the 7 way plug was ran over and had to be replaced. They dewinterized it when we bought it. Tried to charge us to winterize it again. Didn’t happen!!! Shortly after, all the molding started falling off on ceiling and around slides. Again at Camping World, after three weeks we’re told it’s ready. We drive the hour to go get it and NOTHING had been done! While there we saw the power hookup cover had been broken off and tv and been hit and was busted. Finally got all that rectified. Now in the last three months the slide cable motor on one slide went out and we are on our second power converter! My husband calls this camper the “Friday at 5:00” camper. Quality control rushed it out to start their weekend! Going to trade it in and take the loss at this point!
- Lynn Chalker, South Carolina

2019-09-13 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

I am a current owner of a 2010 KC 302RLS. I have had my share of problems over the last 10 years with it but it has held up fairly well. However now one of my slides is leaking, I had it serviced only to have the leak return! I want to trade my current unit in for a 2019 model. I went to my local RV dealer and was shown a new 2019 KC 302RLS. Great floor plan with 3 slides, king size bed, faux fireplace, theater seating , free standing table and chairs, 2 AC units, kitchen island! Wow everything I was looking for! “I’ll take it” was on the tip of my tongue, until I spotted what I thought was a spilled drink spot on one of the recliners. Nope, the entire slide roof had leaked causing warping and bubbling of the ceiling. The range hood paint was bubbled and the paint was flaking off. The backsplash tile had fallen off the wall onto the countertop. Obviously that purchase wouldn’t happen. You would think Keystone would see the value (profit) of customer loyalty, sadly they don’t. I haven’t even bought it and it is a hot mess !!!!!
- Cynthia Kensinger, Michigan