Keystone Cougar Half-Ton Reviews on RV Insider (68)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar Half-Ton RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Rick Baggett from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 5th wheel 6 months ago, and the front cap is cracking. Keystone is only offering to do the BARE MINIMUM to correct the issue. I asked to speak to a manager at corp office was told NO....
- Rick Baggett, California

2020-11-09 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I purchased this unit new in October of 2017. The third time it went out the skirting pulled off the front on the freeway requiring a roadside repair. Keystone didn't view this as a warranty issue even though the skirting in the front was only secured with small head screws and no washer or wide head fastener to distribute the load across more of the skirting material's surface. This resulted in a nearly $2,000.00 insurance claim. At about a year and change in service, the leveling system failed and rear jacks went out. When the service tech was troubleshooting he found the electrical terminations weren't crimped - just twisted together - this fried the control board and jacks apparently - covered under extended warranty. The intake from the water tank to the pump was cut short, leading to restricted flow - self repaired, cost me a weekend of troubleshooting to discover the issue. No clue why the pump system was installed without an easy access bay. The bottom of the pantry caved in almost immediately - when working on the water pump I decided to look at it - the tech that built it forgot to screw in the rear support that was screwed in on all other shelves. No one at the factory is QA'ing the work apparently of their techs. The craftsmanship is low. Screws are inserted at odd angles, cabinetry is poor leading to a need for repair. If you get one - spend a week going through it and reinforcing it - the underside will immediately rust without some priming, undercoating, or hitting it with paraffin and bar oil before going out. This includes exposed gas lines underneath. Lastly - the dealer didn't call out the issue in towing with a newer super-duty truck - the trailer is too low or the truck is too high - estimated cost to fix is around 2k - to left the trailer (or add pneumatic suspension to the truck). If I'd known this was an issue at the start I could have ordered it done before pickup - now I have to take the unit out of service to do it. At this stage I'd almost rather live with it until I replace it - this problem causes: a) Spare tire drags until the mount is broken, b) rear can drag, c) load distribution is wrong - especially when pulling tanked. I chose this floor plan intentionally but after nearly 3 years I've found this: 1) Get a bedroom slide - the nose facing bed is hard to make and get in and out of. I thought it would make it easier to use at job sites but in reality - the bedroom slide would be high enough it wouldn't matter and you could use the bed fine with it closed but the gain in closet space is critical. There's not enough usable storage - lots of deep/hard to access storage. 2) If you are using for work consider a toy hauler and convert the toy bay to a work bay - that seems better - I deleted the dinette and installed a workstation that works for me. Another better option would have been one with a bunk bay and rip that out for a work area. I wish they made it easy to custom order changes like this to minimize the damage from open screw holes after customizing. The recliners were positioned in bad areas, same with the dinette - totally uncomfortable so I'd just as soon not paid for them and paid for something more useful. (THis is true for just about every RV on the market - not specific to this one) 3) I really wish they'd just run the vinyl flooring all over and not this stupid carpet - it's hard to keep clean, I don't want to carry a power vac with me and a dust buster/stick vac can't handle it. If this was a 40' fifth wheel I could see the extra space or a central vac but it isn't. 4) This unit was delivered in the Pacific NW, it isn't well enough insulated for the Eastern side of the state so I eat propane during cold months - hence I carry 4 tanks to ensure I can make it a week without refilling. (At 19 or less I can't go without heat for more than a minute or risk water lines freezing.If I know it's going to run at 10 or below I just winterize it and pack water along - it's a pain but safest. 5) Take some time and build some protection around pipes in the cargo bay - just looks like a problem waiting to happen. 6) If you can do it consider ripping out the pantry and replacing it with a slide-out system - it will cost a bit but will make the space way more usable. Same for the above the sink cabinet - a slide-out or something to make it other than a giant bay that things slide in.
- Isaac Lenox, Washington

2020-11-06 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought this 2019 unit new at a Gander RV new location. The unit was transferred from another dealership in order to give this new location inventory to sell. At this point, the Gander RV local location is repairing all of the issues; however, many of the defects should have been caught before the unit was handed to me. 1. King pin bent observed at the dealership, local sales manager tried to convince me by hooking up his truck that it was "fine" and "normal". I said that I wanted it fixed and then he used the Keystone warranty approval process and lead time on parts to try and push me.....I refused to write the $34,000 check and walked away. I got a call at home saying they found a king pin hitch plate on the parts shelf and fixed it! 2. Moisture in back left tail light - again, dealer tried to tell me that was normal. 3. Flickering running lights - by door and front left corner - one replaced, not caulked. Second just reported. 4. Furrion antenna broke off on first trip - part of a recall notice and was replaced with a 360 winegard and the technician failed to fully caulk all the way around the base with Dicor. 5. All walls of show enclosure warped away from wall - I repaired and caulked to make sure it was done correctly. 6. Screw pushed up through the linoleum floor in the main living area, now I have to live with a patch floor on a brand new trailer. 7. Rear right stabilizer was bent and fell off - dealer said it was probably damaged when lift with a fork truck. What??? 8. Grey tank 1 valve leaks, discovered when I got covered taking off the sewer cap the first time. Should have been a check point at the dealer. 9. Black water flush does not work - the common check valve under the sink issue. Now the sensors are messed up. 10. Front battery storage door latch installed too high and it does not actually lock the door.... I bought this unit in September and it is only November. I was told to make a list and that I had 12 months to get everything reported. Fortunately, we have been camping a lot and only staying in one spot for 3 days max. This constant set up and tear down process is exposing defects.
- Mark, Florida

2020-11-03 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We love the floor plan and quality is greatly improved over our 2018. Tow ability is Great. Would highly recommend the 29RKS. The auto leveling was a big reason we went With the Cougar. The other brands were a large added expense to get the same equipment as standard on the Half ton towable by Vougar.
- David, California

2020-10-31 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

This travel trailer should of been painted Yellow. Had nothing but Trouble with it, sence we bought it. One problem after another. The older ones had a better quality. Don't buy this one, cheap quality.
- Rob Zemcke, Idaho

2020-10-07 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Poor customer service , paid for warranty they won’t cover anything. There is a leak since we purchased.They want to charge us.turn heat on air comes on not sure 🤔 who to call.we hate camping world .rip offs Hanover PA
- Debra Trostle, Pennsylvania

2020-09-27 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Great Moryde entry steps, roomy living area. Kitchen Peninsula is a pretty tight. The doors of the small tables beside the recliners cannot open fully (poor design), and the support of the sliding bathroom door quickly broke making the door no longer secure during travel. I like the smaller size of the rv, but, unless the newer models have corrected those annoyances, I would look at other rvs if I was shopping again.
- Cheryl Simpson, Alabama

2020-09-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SABWE View Listings

Bought 3 months ago, brand new. So far ceiling strips falling, leak from bath skylight and kitchen wall is totally ruined with water damage from roof (whole left side and kitchen cabinets need replaced) along with repair to tire well because of tire blowout. This is a lemon and we have to wait 19 days to get it into Camping World. This cannot be repaired. New camper is needed.
- Cindy Thomas, Florida

2020-09-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

The first time we used it the refrigerator quit working,the hot water heater cover blew off, construction dust and sawdust blew out of the vents and covered everything, the entrance door would not close properly and we were charged for the repair after keystone paid camping world to repair it.It was only a 35 dollar fee but it was under warranty and we bought the extended warranty but yet they still charged us.The kitchen sink leaked very badly.They would not cover the price for the hot water cover. Camping World an keystone passed this unit upon inspection. What a joke. We will never deal with either company again
- Kay Fowler, Georgia

2020-08-07 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

I own a 32rli Keystone Cougar.Has all the bells and Whistles.This is the cheapest built trailer in the last 6 I have owned. Polar Pack is a joke. Don't buy this trailer is my advice. Looks are deceiving!! Never a Keystone product again!!
- David McCann , Colorado

2020-07-01 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES View Listings

The 5th wheel Cougar half ton is very easy to tow. Hardly know its behind you. Will sleep (4) very comfortably. Only takes about 15 minutes to set up. The queen size bed and full shower are very nice perks. Features indoor and outdoor stereo system. Captain chair recliners are very comfortable and recline almost to the point of being in a bed.
- BRYAN HARTLEY, Virginia

2020-06-29 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

My family and I purchased a cougar bunk house. From day one leaks and repairs. All has been paid out of my pocket. Worst travel trailer I have every bought. First the hot water heater would work. 300 dollars later it works. Then the refrigerator went out. One circuit board later it worked. Now both toilets leak. Also the tub started leaking recently. So like I said save yourself the hassle and buy a product that a company will stand behind. We also bought the extended warranty. Too bad it takes 30 plus days to get service. Junk is the nicest way to put it!!!!
- Scott Black, Texas

2020-06-25 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE View Listings

From the first day I purchased this unit I have had nothing but problems.Walls coming apart.Trim falling off everywhere.Locks not working.Handles for draining black and grey tanks falling off. Not just the handles the whole rods.Correct track out of wack with no information about it.Brochure I was given nothing the same to what I purchased.Oven needed to be replaced.Decals falling off and were not put on straight. This unit has been at the dealer for servicing more than I have been able to use it.First month I had it had a leak. Shower door replaced and shower rebuilt. You name it ,it has had that problem. The worst is trying to get in and having it fixed.Sometimes takes a few months. Not very happy.
- Jack, British Columbia

2020-06-15 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We bought our Cougar in Feb 2020. We have had only 4 trips in it and the one trip was a 2 hour drive with 25 miles being dirt road. After the purchase we backyard camped to test everything out. Since purchase we have had to have the furnace replaced, the tank flush redone as the lines were backwards, the rubber trim on a window fixed that was coming apart. A drawer that the track came apart on and the drawer front has cut marks in. The shower drain leaked. And just got back from the 4th trip, opened it up to empty out and the fancy trim around one of the slide out windows that holds the blind had fallen onto our recliner still attached to the wall with the screw mounts at the bottom and the string mounts for the blind. Cant even get it to come loose from the wall. And the handle for the stairs leading to the bathroom and bedroom came away from the wall. The quality of some things are great. But the overall assembly is very poor. I am very upset about the money we are paying for something that keeps falling apart. Our dealer has been great to work with so far, so we are thankful of that. Just wished it was better factory put together.
- Jaylene Brower, Utah

2020-06-10 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 33SAB View Listings

Lot of room to enjoy, great for long trips and tows easy and straight sway bars and stabilizer. Opposing slides make huge living area. Having two frigs and huge pantry is great for long trips. Having a tv that retracts is great for storage and protection.
- Fred Obrock , Illinois

2020-06-09 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

On my first weekend trip the large storage door came off in my hands, screws went flying, a floor panel came up during vacuuming and had to be glued back down. One our second weekend outing I noticed as the pull out was going out 6 staples sticking out of the thin wall to the left of the pullout, I called the dealer and will take it in today. So far the quality of build is poor. I have gone through all the cabinet screws to tighten and have found about half of the screws will not tighten down they just spin in the hole, I will be replacing all screws with slightly larger ones myself.
- Bryan Gibert, Colorado

2020-05-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

I love how much entertaining room I have and the kitchen counters are more than I have ever experienced in a 5th wheel. The bathroom shower is so big and the outdoor kitchen is so nice to have. It is a very easy 5th wheel to pull.
- Marie, Tennessee

2020-04-21 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RES View Listings

Scam alert! Worst purchase I've ever made. Bought this trailer brand new One year ago and have had issue after issue. Heaters broken, a/c is broken, leaky plumbing, leaky roof, and zero responsibility taken from the manufacturer!!!
- Daniele, British Columbia

2020-04-13 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBSWE View Listings

Overall it’s been enjoyable with a few problems , kitchen sink faucet was leaking and no one caught it until it destroyed the cabinet face this was replaced under warranty , cabinets nick easy, but my main complaint is my dinette cushions , because you use propane for cooking and heating it creates moisture , and I do use a humidifier and damp rid it helps a lot but you need to wipe the slide out walls and cushions which right around a year it seems like the cushion material is rotting , so look at yours close because they won’t warranty them and it’s over 500.00 plus shipping and you have to replace all cushions , this is most disappointing because the company and unit seems to be one of the best on the market
- R gibson, Washington

2020-03-10 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Like stairs entrance very solid. Light on steps and easy chairs, TV and fireplace are great. Deep sinks and kitchen faucet nice. I have more counter space. 4 kitchen drawers Bathroom large shower bedroom closet needs side cabinets with selves. Dislikes kitchen cabinets only have one self and you can only reach the bottom shelf no pantry no place for cereals cans or anything. Even pot area is under sink. Very little built in selves. Molding all over falls off little staples Refrigerator makes noise. Air conditioner runs 24 hrs when hot and you can’t hear TV. Awning doesn’t work tech on phone can’t fix. Computer brain a pain in butt. Made poorLy. design Poor they need to hire women engineers to lay out kitchen. Over all not a happy camper.
- Betty Campbe , Michigan

2020-02-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

We’ve owned this for a year and a half. Even though we didn’t get to use it a lot we are happy with the purchase. Had a black tank issue, but that was fixed. We would purchase this again and always keep in mind this is a mid level RV.
- Steven Carlson, Florida

2020-02-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

We upgraded to this rv to fit our family. We love the floorplan of this rv. The first trip out the inside refrigerator stopped working trim coming loose everywhere and the black tank flushes didn't work. Needless to say it had to go back for repairs. Getting ready to take back again which will be twice in 12 months. The back jacks have stopped working more trim coming loose and bedroom door coming loose from wall. Be very cautious when buying a cougar half ton 5th wheel!!! I will never purchase a another Keystone product very poor quality!!!!!
- Robert Campbell, Virginia

2020-01-18 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RKS View Listings

Purchased a cougar 26RKS after owning a Bullet Premier 22RBS. We settled on the Cougar after reviewing several models, quality reviews, features and floor plans. We have now owned our trailer for about 1 year and have camped some 30-40 days, on about 10 trips. What we most like about it is the floor plan: for a 26ft RV we find the floor plan spacious, seating in front of the TV is great, we like the fireplace, good size bathroom and king size bed. Rear kitchen for us works best and we like having two doors to access bedroom and kitchen. Outside fridge did not come with a turn-off switch, which makes it difficult to disconnect, and the capital grill is not as useful as a stove would have been, but we can still get some use out of it. Unlike some owners, we have not had any major structural or furnace issues. So far we have also not experienced failures with air conditioner, stabilizers or appliances. Cabinets are holding up well although we do need to secure doors with brackets before we travel. No leaks or wall paper issues reported with exception of a strip that peeled off during travel but we were able to glue it back easily. Like with any trailer, husband proactively greases bearings, check stabilizers, inspect roof and checks tire pressure before we travel, and so far we have not had any issues with towing or with tires. I would consider a Cougar again and do recommend this model. That being said, where you buy it matters, and there are a few areas where Keystone could improve greatly. TV cable disconnected from antena somewhere inside the walls a few weeks after purchase. We considered taking to a local dealer but given the service reviews of the closet choice - Camping World, and the likelihood that would take several weeks to repair, we decided to attempt repair ourselves before we would bring it in. We fished the wire out of the wall and secured correctly after a few tries. We blame this one on quality control during assembly. In comparison with the Bullet Premier, my husband complains about towability of the trailer - it is not as smooth due to poor air dynamics, so it drags significantly more. Toilet water seal was not aligned to hold water. After a couple calls to the dealer and watching a few videos, we were able to make adjustments to the shutting mechanism; it has since been working well. We blame this one on quality inspection at both Keystone and Dealer. Back kitchen window crank is too large for the window and is actually useless. We have to remove it and open the window manually if needed - a design flaw. The manual of trailers is usually not adequate for the model or appliances that come with it. It serves mostly as a guide, not a manual - a poor consideration to customer service and likely a result of cost cutting. We referred to the manual a few times and could not find specific information on troubleshooting or maintenance for the equipment we had in our trailer. Air conditioner works well, but is loud! For a $30,000+ unit, I wish keystone would upgrade to an A/C unit less noisy. We sometimes have to turn-off the AC to watch TV. We boon-docked in the fall and while attempting to refill the fresh water tank, we realized that we can’t just poor water in it, It actually requires pressure to be refilled - ridiculous concept when you may not have power to generate the pressure, nor the tools to do it. We had to pull the trailer out of the campsite to the nearest water station. Inconvenient design flaw; we will need to bring a battery pump next time. In-Command system is not as useful and helpful as intended and advertised. It does not measure tank levels accurately, requires a PIN nuumber EVERYTIME we need to access the panel and does not allow to remove this requirement in settings. Does not allow for more than one device to sync at the same time, which makes difficult to manage. It disconnects frequently, does not read battery life correctly, touch screen is not very responsive - need to press on slowly and firmly for it to work. The app does not allow for fingerprint of Face ID unlock - PIN required everytime as well. I am not impressed with the InCommand system, Keystone has long ways to go with this product. The mattress as in many trailers had to be replaced - not comfortable to most people I must say. The tension blinds across all windows are terrible! Tension changes during travel and need to be adjusted all the time. There are 5 across the trailer and all have issues. The screws holding the tension are not on studs and can’t support the tension. When you are able to raise the blinds, they look crooked. Terrible design - wish Keystone would use roller or built-in gliding blinds. We are currently considering replacing all blinds. Manual advises to lower the dinner table during travel. I wish keystone would start installing adjustable tables to make lowering/raising easier. It is a job to get the rods off the table and assemble again. Overall, good trailer but not without flaws.
- Thays Pritchard, Tennessee

2019-11-28 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Well, we traded a motor home for a towable. This was not our first RV purchase. We really like many of the upgrades that normally one would have to purchase to improve the Rv, ie down spouts. Still the owners manual doesn’t have enough specific information on how to operate/maintain/troubleshoot water heater, refrigerator, ac unit, which is all on a digital format ops board. We really need to stop purchasing our RV’s from Camping World, this experience was less than satisfactory, especially after finding access panels upside down, and cockeyed, sink covers missing, spare tire off the rim, and water heater plug out, not secure. That would have been a nice surprise after we hookup the water! Flooding, not a fun experience especially if you hook up when it’s dark. Oh yeah, and don’t expect corporate to get very much warranty work done. All denied. I don’t think you would purchase any model if were less than perfect for yourself. Stop treating the consumer like we don’t matter. We are the bottom line!
- Jeffrey Belliveau , North Carolina

2019-11-13 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBIWE View Listings

I have nothing but issues with this travel trailer. I found out that keystone is using defective parts in their trailer. Here is an example. The braces under my kitchen slide out failed. Keystone has issued three upgrade part. I now have braided cables that are stretched. My service department stated that keystone used the wrong screws in the cabling system. I called Keystone, since my travel trailer is over the one year warranty period, they will not stand by their product. I believe they know they had defective parts and the dollar is more important than customer service. I plan to seek remedy citing the uniform commercial code. It is illegal to knowing use defect parts and selling the product as if there is no defects. I would suggest that one way to deal with this company is to not purchase their products. Maybe they will understand that message. Buyer be aware.
- Randy canoy, Oregon