Keystone Cougar Half-Ton Reviews on RV Insider (81)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar Half-Ton RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Rick Baggett from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 5th wheel 6 months ago, and the front cap is cracking. Keystone is only offering to do the BARE MINIMUM to correct the issue. I asked to speak to a manager at corp office was told NO....
- Rick Baggett, California

2021-04-17 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

Wonderful and well equipped RV. Supported multiple trips with the kids, keeping everyone very comfortable and plenty of storage to support food prep and recreational activities. Sleeps 6 comfortably. Well built and laid out and easy to hook up and tow.
- Tara LeBlanc, Virginia

2021-04-08 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

Purchased this 2021 Keystone cougar half-ton July 29,2020. Our first camping trip was August 22-26th 2020. We soon found out a ton of things was wrong. We noticed as we brought the trailer home the tail light was out, the cabinet would not stay closed, the battery would not stay charged, the fridge would not stay on with propane, the second morning the awning broke snapping back onto the roof causing a hole. found out the metal was defective on awning rollout bar. We called nearest Camping world found we need to take it home until appointment came available in CW Greenville September 3 2020.We took trailer in explaining everything to them. only to be accused of the awning be out during a storm. No it did not rain sunny hot days. long story short seven months have passed we still have no trailer. that's right in the shop. I would call this trailer a piece of crap would not recommend no one purchase a keystone product. I am beyond pissed.. I guess when we do get it back I will have to clean it from top to bottom and have tanks flushed once again. We had camping world winterize it. I am glad we did or we have a bigger mess. I am just feeling this trailer will cause us more headaches time and money. We are not impressed at all by this camper or the manufactures
- Katherine Hood, North Carolina

2021-04-02 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

We have only had our cougar a year now. Within 8 months, the floor hand complety came loose from the boards, we found a hole in the slide, the sink in kitchen and bathroom came unattached from the casing. Within the first month of having it the microwave blew up. I understand life happens but, its bad when keystone won't even stand behind their products. We paid for the extended warranty and this peice of crap cost us $2800 to get fixed. Will never buy Keystone again. I regret not spending the extra and buying the nicer solitude.
- Pamela Hudson, Mississippi

2021-02-25 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 2017 5th wheel in 2019 from first owner who had only used it on 2 short trips. Since I’ve owned it in the last 22 months I’ve taken it on 5 short trips. Here are the issues I’ve had: Kitchen window mounted too far off center from cutout and not sealed well causing leaks with light rain. Toilet pipe plugging before/at tank. (Fighting this since purchase). Toilet bowl water “Belches” upon flushing as if black water tank is not vented or vent is plugged. Can’t determine/find a vent on roof corresponding to tank. All 4 vertical slide out wiper seals - 2 inside, 2 outside are tearing at the lower ends. Exterior trim molding buckling and coming apart. Solara awning fabric disintegrating and 6” tear at one end. Propane tank strap broke. Rear bumper slide out rack has bent and won’t slide back in. Travel Latch to hold open tri slide shower door broke. I’m not new to RVing. I take care of my equipment and don’t abuse it. This is without a doubt the worst engineered and manufactured RV I’ve ever owned. Keystone should be ashamed of producing it. Has anyone else had ANY of these problems?
- Tom, California

2021-02-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

So far we are very happy with our RV the only exception is the tri-fold couch and the heating system. As far as a couch it is ok. As far as a fold out bed it is horrible unless you have little kids to sleep on it. The biggest issue is that when you fold down the back to make the platform it is not level. The frames attached to the sides of the couch are installed on a slope. Not sure why they did it this way or if we just got a bad one. And the overall quality of the couch is poor. Also the way in which they secured the couch into the camper was to drive two screws down through the back and into the floor. I think they could have put a proper bracing system in. As for the heating system the furnace only blows hot air into the living room/kitchen area. There are floor vents but appear to be returns. So it does pull warm air into the bedroom but I would have expected a supply in the bedroom as well. For these reasons i gave 3 stars for overall quality.
- Rob Stockwell, Massachusetts

2021-02-12 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

6 months after purchased, auto leveling went out. Called authorized dealer They removed part for warranty Called this month, Feb, to bring RV to them to replace. Cost just under $400 Part only warranty, trip and repair labor not covered ( we had purchased the lifetime warranty when purchased unit) 4 door fridge opens during travel when loaded, place for locks, not given to us by dealer Bottom drawer latch under fridge not closing, was open when closing dinette slide, broke drawer Outlet in dinette not secure Molding on sofa slide coming off Something scratching making marks on flooring when sliding sofa slide in and out Fridge blowing fuses when on electric Can’t make dvd/cd player work Won’t be a year old til May 2021 Very disappointed in quality
- Janice, Georgia

2021-02-08 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We have had this unit since the end of 2018. We have nothing but love for it. We have had very minimal issues with it. We bought it at Camping World in Colfax (Greensboro NC) and they went over everything before we left with it. The only issues with it was our fault. We got a unit with only 1 AC on it - NOT A GOOD IDEA because the AC on these models are in back with the kitchen. We purchased another AC to go on the front (not tied in with the other unit but does fine). Now we love it. The fireplace is awesome as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that all of our trips are as good as they have been so far with this unit.
- Sherri Gerringer, North Carolina

2021-02-05 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

Hope I can save someone the trouble of buys a keystone. I bought a 2021 keystone Cougar and have been let down at every turn horrible customer service at the Keystone place horrible product I got a three page list of things wrong with my trailer they refused to fix most of them even though they’re factory defect’s. I’ve had three shops tell me that they’re not gonna work on my crappy trailer and they won’t stand behind their product and give me my money back or give me a new trailer. This thing it leaks everywhere. Literally everything has been broken on it I mean it’s a joke I’ve been in the shop like 45 times and it is ridiculous and I can’t even get the whole thing fixed because no shop wants to work on it and Keystone won’t stand behind their product they denying to fix a whole bunch of stuff even know it is factory defects I would never buy another trailer for this place they are a joke.
- Donald, Missouri

2021-01-16 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

When we purchased this RV in 2019, we were in love with it. We had planned to live in it during our retirement. We loved the floor plan. Then COVID hit in 2020 and my husband began working from home. We decided to live in our camper for 3 months in 2020 and traveled further than our backyard. We pulled the RV from Missouri to Maryland. That's when the trouble began. Our ceiling began to fall off. We thought than when traveling cross country the ceiling should stay on and that there was a manufacturer defect. But when we got home at the end of 3 months, Keystone wouldn't fix the ceiling. They said it was out of warranty (we even purchased extended warranties). Keystone does not stand behind their product and do not care that their manufacturing is of poor quality.
- Kay Woelfle, Missouri

2021-01-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought this unit Jan 7,2020 from a dealer in tenn. First arrived it was extremely windy so they couldn't put out awnings, the stabilizers struggled when we were there and the gentleman Dave who was showing us unit said he would put in a work order for us to have fixed when we arrived in florida and the rear blind did not open whatsoever,why because the strings are cut too short so there is no way ever it would open. We take it home and the first time we go to use it the entire control board blew. Then after 2 months for that to come in we go to scheduled trip but covid hit so then we decided to try out parked at my husbands shop so first night the ac units kept running and still never cycle, the black,clear and grey tank now dont register on new panel,the awnings that the dealer would Not open DON'T ACTUALLY work. The control panel does not recognize them then we get them unlocked and again they disconnect, the other blinds would not stay open, the over head vent fan
- Deborah McGrory, Florida

2021-01-13 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS View Listings

This camper is a breeze to pull with a half ton truck. It's very comfortable because of the spacious layout and higher ceiling. There's so much storage in every area. The kitchen has a stainless undermounted sink with a cover for additional counter space and the stove has a glass cover for more counter space. The king size bed is so comfortable with hanging storage on each side and above. The table located in the slide converts into a bed and has more storage beneath. Windows surround the table, kitchen and bedroom to let fresh air in as well are two skylights. It's a little home away from home.
- Debbie High, Florida

2021-01-02 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS View Listings

Purchased new @ Noble RV in Owatonna, MN. Love the layout, esp. with a teenage daughter and the bunk room (not a bunk area w/ curtains). Had several issues that were discovered after multiple trips (6 in 2020, July - October). These include: Blackwater tank flush not functional (known and common issue, apparently, have the dealer verify @ delivery walk-through, my fault I didn't). Antennae issues- discovered when coax didn't work in bunkroom, was informed the "master unit" or whatever it's called, from which all signals are sent throughout the unit, was faulty. Latch on front hatch is not in the best position. It latches, but it takes quite a bit of force on the latch itself to get the hatch door underneath it- and it's plastic ;). Other items were cosmetic in nature. There are also things that we've had on our bumper-pull that this doesn't have- minor but nice: An under-entry stair light, an amber "night light" outside of the entry door, and a small light by the auto-level pad for night arrivals. All-in-all, this is a quality, beautiful, non-behemoth 5th wheel, with a great layout and that tows exceptionally well (Ram 3500 w/ Cummins HO Diesel). Finally, Noble RV has been great in rectifying these issues, and were apparently embarrassed that they should have caught the blackwater flush issue prior to us taking delivery.
- Tim Q, Minnesota

2021-01-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBS View Listings

We ordered our Cougar in 2018 and they were actually starting the 2019's models, so we got a 2019 Cougar. We had a few defects that Keystone should have caught but the dealer's tech caught them before taking ownership. Dealer fixed them and we were good. After the first year we had 2 other things happen and one of them dealer took care of it but the other we had to pay out of pocket. When buying a trailer new or used go early before time to pick it up and do your own walk through looking for things to be looked at. When a new trailer is sold the dealership should be doing a PDI before the customer actually takes ownership. If you find things to be looked at show it to your salesman then when the tech takes you through your walk through be sure they were fixed.I gave the factory warranty a 2 star because we had a bad toilet and Keystone would not cover it. It was a bad toilet from Factory, course it didn't mess up until a month after the year warranty went away.Dealership tried to get it covered and I did also but to no avail. We love our trailer and if anything was to happen to this one we would get another Cougar.
- Gary Buckles, Oklahoma

2020-11-09 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I purchased this unit new in October of 2017. The third time it went out the skirting pulled off the front on the freeway requiring a roadside repair. Keystone didn't view this as a warranty issue even though the skirting in the front was only secured with small head screws and no washer or wide head fastener to distribute the load across more of the skirting material's surface. This resulted in a nearly $2,000.00 insurance claim. At about a year and change in service, the leveling system failed and rear jacks went out. When the service tech was troubleshooting he found the electrical terminations weren't crimped - just twisted together - this fried the control board and jacks apparently - covered under extended warranty. The intake from the water tank to the pump was cut short, leading to restricted flow - self repaired, cost me a weekend of troubleshooting to discover the issue. No clue why the pump system was installed without an easy access bay. The bottom of the pantry caved in almost immediately - when working on the water pump I decided to look at it - the tech that built it forgot to screw in the rear support that was screwed in on all other shelves. No one at the factory is QA'ing the work apparently of their techs. The craftsmanship is low. Screws are inserted at odd angles, cabinetry is poor leading to a need for repair. If you get one - spend a week going through it and reinforcing it - the underside will immediately rust without some priming, undercoating, or hitting it with paraffin and bar oil before going out. This includes exposed gas lines underneath. Lastly - the dealer didn't call out the issue in towing with a newer super-duty truck - the trailer is too low or the truck is too high - estimated cost to fix is around 2k - to left the trailer (or add pneumatic suspension to the truck). If I'd known this was an issue at the start I could have ordered it done before pickup - now I have to take the unit out of service to do it. At this stage I'd almost rather live with it until I replace it - this problem causes: a) Spare tire drags until the mount is broken, b) rear can drag, c) load distribution is wrong - especially when pulling tanked. I chose this floor plan intentionally but after nearly 3 years I've found this: 1) Get a bedroom slide - the nose facing bed is hard to make and get in and out of. I thought it would make it easier to use at job sites but in reality - the bedroom slide would be high enough it wouldn't matter and you could use the bed fine with it closed but the gain in closet space is critical. There's not enough usable storage - lots of deep/hard to access storage. 2) If you are using for work consider a toy hauler and convert the toy bay to a work bay - that seems better - I deleted the dinette and installed a workstation that works for me. Another better option would have been one with a bunk bay and rip that out for a work area. I wish they made it easy to custom order changes like this to minimize the damage from open screw holes after customizing. The recliners were positioned in bad areas, same with the dinette - totally uncomfortable so I'd just as soon not paid for them and paid for something more useful. (THis is true for just about every RV on the market - not specific to this one) 3) I really wish they'd just run the vinyl flooring all over and not this stupid carpet - it's hard to keep clean, I don't want to carry a power vac with me and a dust buster/stick vac can't handle it. If this was a 40' fifth wheel I could see the extra space or a central vac but it isn't. 4) This unit was delivered in the Pacific NW, it isn't well enough insulated for the Eastern side of the state so I eat propane during cold months - hence I carry 4 tanks to ensure I can make it a week without refilling. (At 19 or less I can't go without heat for more than a minute or risk water lines freezing.If I know it's going to run at 10 or below I just winterize it and pack water along - it's a pain but safest. 5) Take some time and build some protection around pipes in the cargo bay - just looks like a problem waiting to happen. 6) If you can do it consider ripping out the pantry and replacing it with a slide-out system - it will cost a bit but will make the space way more usable. Same for the above the sink cabinet - a slide-out or something to make it other than a giant bay that things slide in.
- Isaac Lenox, Washington

2020-11-06 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought this 2019 unit new at a Gander RV new location. The unit was transferred from another dealership in order to give this new location inventory to sell. At this point, the Gander RV local location is repairing all of the issues; however, many of the defects should have been caught before the unit was handed to me. 1. King pin bent observed at the dealership, local sales manager tried to convince me by hooking up his truck that it was "fine" and "normal". I said that I wanted it fixed and then he used the Keystone warranty approval process and lead time on parts to try and push me.....I refused to write the $34,000 check and walked away. I got a call at home saying they found a king pin hitch plate on the parts shelf and fixed it! 2. Moisture in back left tail light - again, dealer tried to tell me that was normal. 3. Flickering running lights - by door and front left corner - one replaced, not caulked. Second just reported. 4. Furrion antenna broke off on first trip - part of a recall notice and was replaced with a 360 winegard and the technician failed to fully caulk all the way around the base with Dicor. 5. All walls of show enclosure warped away from wall - I repaired and caulked to make sure it was done correctly. 6. Screw pushed up through the linoleum floor in the main living area, now I have to live with a patch floor on a brand new trailer. 7. Rear right stabilizer was bent and fell off - dealer said it was probably damaged when lift with a fork truck. What??? 8. Grey tank 1 valve leaks, discovered when I got covered taking off the sewer cap the first time. Should have been a check point at the dealer. 9. Black water flush does not work - the common check valve under the sink issue. Now the sensors are messed up. 10. Front battery storage door latch installed too high and it does not actually lock the door.... I bought this unit in September and it is only November. I was told to make a list and that I had 12 months to get everything reported. Fortunately, we have been camping a lot and only staying in one spot for 3 days max. This constant set up and tear down process is exposing defects.
- Mark, Florida

2020-11-03 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We love the floor plan and quality is greatly improved over our 2018. Tow ability is Great. Would highly recommend the 29RKS. The auto leveling was a big reason we went With the Cougar. The other brands were a large added expense to get the same equipment as standard on the Half ton towable by Vougar.
- David, California

2020-10-31 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

This travel trailer should of been painted Yellow. Had nothing but Trouble with it, sence we bought it. One problem after another. The older ones had a better quality. Don't buy this one, cheap quality.
- Rob Zemcke, Idaho

2020-10-07 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Poor customer service , paid for warranty they won’t cover anything. There is a leak since we purchased.They want to charge us.turn heat on air comes on not sure 🤔 who to call.we hate camping world .rip offs Hanover PA
- Debra Trostle, Pennsylvania

2020-09-27 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Great Moryde entry steps, roomy living area. Kitchen Peninsula is a pretty tight. The doors of the small tables beside the recliners cannot open fully (poor design), and the support of the sliding bathroom door quickly broke making the door no longer secure during travel. I like the smaller size of the rv, but, unless the newer models have corrected those annoyances, I would look at other rvs if I was shopping again.
- Cheryl Simpson, Alabama

2020-09-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SABWE View Listings

Bought 3 months ago, brand new. So far ceiling strips falling, leak from bath skylight and kitchen wall is totally ruined with water damage from roof (whole left side and kitchen cabinets need replaced) along with repair to tire well because of tire blowout. This is a lemon and we have to wait 19 days to get it into Camping World. This cannot be repaired. New camper is needed.
- Cindy Thomas, Florida

2020-09-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

The first time we used it the refrigerator quit working,the hot water heater cover blew off, construction dust and sawdust blew out of the vents and covered everything, the entrance door would not close properly and we were charged for the repair after keystone paid camping world to repair it.It was only a 35 dollar fee but it was under warranty and we bought the extended warranty but yet they still charged us.The kitchen sink leaked very badly.They would not cover the price for the hot water cover. Camping World an keystone passed this unit upon inspection. What a joke. We will never deal with either company again
- Kay Fowler, Georgia

2020-08-07 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI View Listings

I own a 32rli Keystone Cougar.Has all the bells and Whistles.This is the cheapest built trailer in the last 6 I have owned. Polar Pack is a joke. Don't buy this trailer is my advice. Looks are deceiving!! Never a Keystone product again!!
- David McCann , Colorado

2020-07-01 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES View Listings

The 5th wheel Cougar half ton is very easy to tow. Hardly know its behind you. Will sleep (4) very comfortably. Only takes about 15 minutes to set up. The queen size bed and full shower are very nice perks. Features indoor and outdoor stereo system. Captain chair recliners are very comfortable and recline almost to the point of being in a bed.
- BRYAN HARTLEY, Virginia

2020-06-29 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

My family and I purchased a cougar bunk house. From day one leaks and repairs. All has been paid out of my pocket. Worst travel trailer I have every bought. First the hot water heater would work. 300 dollars later it works. Then the refrigerator went out. One circuit board later it worked. Now both toilets leak. Also the tub started leaking recently. So like I said save yourself the hassle and buy a product that a company will stand behind. We also bought the extended warranty. Too bad it takes 30 plus days to get service. Junk is the nicest way to put it!!!!
- Scott Black, Texas