Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 5th Wheel Reviews on RV Insider (38)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 5th Wheel RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Rick Baggett from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 5th wheel 6 months ago, and the front cap is cracking. Keystone is only offering to do the BARE MINIMUM to correct the issue. I asked to speak to a manager at corp office was told NO....
- Rick Baggett, California

2021-02-25 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I bought this 2017 5th wheel in 2019 from first owner who had only used it on 2 short trips. Since I’ve owned it in the last 22 months I’ve taken it on 5 short trips. Here are the issues I’ve had: Kitchen window mounted too far off center from cutout and not sealed well causing leaks with light rain. Toilet pipe plugging before/at tank. (Fighting this since purchase). Toilet bowl water “Belches” upon flushing as if black water tank is not vented or vent is plugged. Can’t determine/find a vent on roof corresponding to tank. All 4 vertical slide out wiper seals - 2 inside, 2 outside are tearing at the lower ends. Exterior trim molding buckling and coming apart. Solara awning fabric disintegrating and 6” tear at one end. Propane tank strap broke. Rear bumper slide out rack has bent and won’t slide back in. Travel Latch to hold open tri slide shower door broke. I’m not new to RVing. I take care of my equipment and don’t abuse it. This is without a doubt the worst engineered and manufactured RV I’ve ever owned. Keystone should be ashamed of producing it. Has anyone else had ANY of these problems?
- Tom, California

2021-02-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

So far we are very happy with our RV the only exception is the tri-fold couch and the heating system. As far as a couch it is ok. As far as a fold out bed it is horrible unless you have little kids to sleep on it. The biggest issue is that when you fold down the back to make the platform it is not level. The frames attached to the sides of the couch are installed on a slope. Not sure why they did it this way or if we just got a bad one. And the overall quality of the couch is poor. Also the way in which they secured the couch into the camper was to drive two screws down through the back and into the floor. I think they could have put a proper bracing system in. As for the heating system the furnace only blows hot air into the living room/kitchen area. There are floor vents but appear to be returns. So it does pull warm air into the bedroom but I would have expected a supply in the bedroom as well. For these reasons i gave 3 stars for overall quality.
- Rob Stockwell, Massachusetts

2021-02-12 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

6 months after purchased, auto leveling went out. Called authorized dealer They removed part for warranty Called this month, Feb, to bring RV to them to replace. Cost just under $400 Part only warranty, trip and repair labor not covered ( we had purchased the lifetime warranty when purchased unit) 4 door fridge opens during travel when loaded, place for locks, not given to us by dealer Bottom drawer latch under fridge not closing, was open when closing dinette slide, broke drawer Outlet in dinette not secure Molding on sofa slide coming off Something scratching making marks on flooring when sliding sofa slide in and out Fridge blowing fuses when on electric Can’t make dvd/cd player work Won’t be a year old til May 2021 Very disappointed in quality
- Janice, Georgia

2021-02-08 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We have had this unit since the end of 2018. We have nothing but love for it. We have had very minimal issues with it. We bought it at Camping World in Colfax (Greensboro NC) and they went over everything before we left with it. The only issues with it was our fault. We got a unit with only 1 AC on it - NOT A GOOD IDEA because the AC on these models are in back with the kitchen. We purchased another AC to go on the front (not tied in with the other unit but does fine). Now we love it. The fireplace is awesome as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that all of our trips are as good as they have been so far with this unit.
- Sherri Gerringer, North Carolina

2021-01-16 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought this unit Jan 7,2020 from a dealer in tenn. First arrived it was extremely windy so they couldn't put out awnings, the stabilizers struggled when we were there and the gentleman Dave who was showing us unit said he would put in a work order for us to have fixed when we arrived in florida and the rear blind did not open whatsoever,why because the strings are cut too short so there is no way ever it would open. We take it home and the first time we go to use it the entire control board blew. Then after 2 months for that to come in we go to scheduled trip but covid hit so then we decided to try out parked at my husbands shop so first night the ac units kept running and still never cycle, the black,clear and grey tank now dont register on new panel,the awnings that the dealer would Not open DON'T ACTUALLY work. The control panel does not recognize them then we get them unlocked and again they disconnect, the other blinds would not stay open, the over head vent fan
- Deborah McGrory, Florida

2020-11-09 2017 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 268RLSWE View Listings

I purchased this unit new in October of 2017. The third time it went out the skirting pulled off the front on the freeway requiring a roadside repair. Keystone didn't view this as a warranty issue even though the skirting in the front was only secured with small head screws and no washer or wide head fastener to distribute the load across more of the skirting material's surface. This resulted in a nearly $2,000.00 insurance claim. At about a year and change in service, the leveling system failed and rear jacks went out. When the service tech was troubleshooting he found the electrical terminations weren't crimped - just twisted together - this fried the control board and jacks apparently - covered under extended warranty. The intake from the water tank to the pump was cut short, leading to restricted flow - self repaired, cost me a weekend of troubleshooting to discover the issue. No clue why the pump system was installed without an easy access bay. The bottom of the pantry caved in almost immediately - when working on the water pump I decided to look at it - the tech that built it forgot to screw in the rear support that was screwed in on all other shelves. No one at the factory is QA'ing the work apparently of their techs. The craftsmanship is low. Screws are inserted at odd angles, cabinetry is poor leading to a need for repair. If you get one - spend a week going through it and reinforcing it - the underside will immediately rust without some priming, undercoating, or hitting it with paraffin and bar oil before going out. This includes exposed gas lines underneath. Lastly - the dealer didn't call out the issue in towing with a newer super-duty truck - the trailer is too low or the truck is too high - estimated cost to fix is around 2k - to left the trailer (or add pneumatic suspension to the truck). If I'd known this was an issue at the start I could have ordered it done before pickup - now I have to take the unit out of service to do it. At this stage I'd almost rather live with it until I replace it - this problem causes: a) Spare tire drags until the mount is broken, b) rear can drag, c) load distribution is wrong - especially when pulling tanked. I chose this floor plan intentionally but after nearly 3 years I've found this: 1) Get a bedroom slide - the nose facing bed is hard to make and get in and out of. I thought it would make it easier to use at job sites but in reality - the bedroom slide would be high enough it wouldn't matter and you could use the bed fine with it closed but the gain in closet space is critical. There's not enough usable storage - lots of deep/hard to access storage. 2) If you are using for work consider a toy hauler and convert the toy bay to a work bay - that seems better - I deleted the dinette and installed a workstation that works for me. Another better option would have been one with a bunk bay and rip that out for a work area. I wish they made it easy to custom order changes like this to minimize the damage from open screw holes after customizing. The recliners were positioned in bad areas, same with the dinette - totally uncomfortable so I'd just as soon not paid for them and paid for something more useful. (THis is true for just about every RV on the market - not specific to this one) 3) I really wish they'd just run the vinyl flooring all over and not this stupid carpet - it's hard to keep clean, I don't want to carry a power vac with me and a dust buster/stick vac can't handle it. If this was a 40' fifth wheel I could see the extra space or a central vac but it isn't. 4) This unit was delivered in the Pacific NW, it isn't well enough insulated for the Eastern side of the state so I eat propane during cold months - hence I carry 4 tanks to ensure I can make it a week without refilling. (At 19 or less I can't go without heat for more than a minute or risk water lines freezing.If I know it's going to run at 10 or below I just winterize it and pack water along - it's a pain but safest. 5) Take some time and build some protection around pipes in the cargo bay - just looks like a problem waiting to happen. 6) If you can do it consider ripping out the pantry and replacing it with a slide-out system - it will cost a bit but will make the space way more usable. Same for the above the sink cabinet - a slide-out or something to make it other than a giant bay that things slide in.
- Isaac Lenox, Washington

2020-11-06 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought this 2019 unit new at a Gander RV new location. The unit was transferred from another dealership in order to give this new location inventory to sell. At this point, the Gander RV local location is repairing all of the issues; however, many of the defects should have been caught before the unit was handed to me. 1. King pin bent observed at the dealership, local sales manager tried to convince me by hooking up his truck that it was "fine" and "normal". I said that I wanted it fixed and then he used the Keystone warranty approval process and lead time on parts to try and push me.....I refused to write the $34,000 check and walked away. I got a call at home saying they found a king pin hitch plate on the parts shelf and fixed it! 2. Moisture in back left tail light - again, dealer tried to tell me that was normal. 3. Flickering running lights - by door and front left corner - one replaced, not caulked. Second just reported. 4. Furrion antenna broke off on first trip - part of a recall notice and was replaced with a 360 winegard and the technician failed to fully caulk all the way around the base with Dicor. 5. All walls of show enclosure warped away from wall - I repaired and caulked to make sure it was done correctly. 6. Screw pushed up through the linoleum floor in the main living area, now I have to live with a patch floor on a brand new trailer. 7. Rear right stabilizer was bent and fell off - dealer said it was probably damaged when lift with a fork truck. What??? 8. Grey tank 1 valve leaks, discovered when I got covered taking off the sewer cap the first time. Should have been a check point at the dealer. 9. Black water flush does not work - the common check valve under the sink issue. Now the sensors are messed up. 10. Front battery storage door latch installed too high and it does not actually lock the door.... I bought this unit in September and it is only November. I was told to make a list and that I had 12 months to get everything reported. Fortunately, we have been camping a lot and only staying in one spot for 3 days max. This constant set up and tear down process is exposing defects.
- Mark, Florida

2020-11-03 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We love the floor plan and quality is greatly improved over our 2018. Tow ability is Great. Would highly recommend the 29RKS. The auto leveling was a big reason we went With the Cougar. The other brands were a large added expense to get the same equipment as standard on the Half ton towable by Vougar.
- David, California

2020-10-31 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

This travel trailer should of been painted Yellow. Had nothing but Trouble with it, sence we bought it. One problem after another. The older ones had a better quality. Don't buy this one, cheap quality.
- Rob Zemcke, Idaho

2020-10-07 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Poor customer service , paid for warranty they won’t cover anything. There is a leak since we purchased.They want to charge us.turn heat on air comes on not sure 🤔 who to call.we hate camping world .rip offs Hanover PA
- Debra Trostle, Pennsylvania

2020-09-27 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Great Moryde entry steps, roomy living area. Kitchen Peninsula is a pretty tight. The doors of the small tables beside the recliners cannot open fully (poor design), and the support of the sliding bathroom door quickly broke making the door no longer secure during travel. I like the smaller size of the rv, but, unless the newer models have corrected those annoyances, I would look at other rvs if I was shopping again.
- Cheryl Simpson, Alabama

2020-09-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

The first time we used it the refrigerator quit working,the hot water heater cover blew off, construction dust and sawdust blew out of the vents and covered everything, the entrance door would not close properly and we were charged for the repair after keystone paid camping world to repair it.It was only a 35 dollar fee but it was under warranty and we bought the extended warranty but yet they still charged us.The kitchen sink leaked very badly.They would not cover the price for the hot water cover. Camping World an keystone passed this unit upon inspection. What a joke. We will never deal with either company again
- Kay Fowler, Georgia

2020-07-01 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25RES View Listings

The 5th wheel Cougar half ton is very easy to tow. Hardly know its behind you. Will sleep (4) very comfortably. Only takes about 15 minutes to set up. The queen size bed and full shower are very nice perks. Features indoor and outdoor stereo system. Captain chair recliners are very comfortable and recline almost to the point of being in a bed.
- BRYAN HARTLEY, Virginia

2020-06-29 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

My family and I purchased a cougar bunk house. From day one leaks and repairs. All has been paid out of my pocket. Worst travel trailer I have every bought. First the hot water heater would work. 300 dollars later it works. Then the refrigerator went out. One circuit board later it worked. Now both toilets leak. Also the tub started leaking recently. So like I said save yourself the hassle and buy a product that a company will stand behind. We also bought the extended warranty. Too bad it takes 30 plus days to get service. Junk is the nicest way to put it!!!!
- Scott Black, Texas

2020-06-15 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

We bought our Cougar in Feb 2020. We have had only 4 trips in it and the one trip was a 2 hour drive with 25 miles being dirt road. After the purchase we backyard camped to test everything out. Since purchase we have had to have the furnace replaced, the tank flush redone as the lines were backwards, the rubber trim on a window fixed that was coming apart. A drawer that the track came apart on and the drawer front has cut marks in. The shower drain leaked. And just got back from the 4th trip, opened it up to empty out and the fancy trim around one of the slide out windows that holds the blind had fallen onto our recliner still attached to the wall with the screw mounts at the bottom and the string mounts for the blind. Cant even get it to come loose from the wall. And the handle for the stairs leading to the bathroom and bedroom came away from the wall. The quality of some things are great. But the overall assembly is very poor. I am very upset about the money we are paying for something that keeps falling apart. Our dealer has been great to work with so far, so we are thankful of that. Just wished it was better factory put together.
- Jaylene Brower, Utah

2020-05-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS View Listings

I love how much entertaining room I have and the kitchen counters are more than I have ever experienced in a 5th wheel. The bathroom shower is so big and the outdoor kitchen is so nice to have. It is a very easy 5th wheel to pull.
- Marie, Tennessee

2020-03-10 2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS View Listings

Like stairs entrance very solid. Light on steps and easy chairs, TV and fireplace are great. Deep sinks and kitchen faucet nice. I have more counter space. 4 kitchen drawers Bathroom large shower bedroom closet needs side cabinets with selves. Dislikes kitchen cabinets only have one self and you can only reach the bottom shelf no pantry no place for cereals cans or anything. Even pot area is under sink. Very little built in selves. Molding all over falls off little staples Refrigerator makes noise. Air conditioner runs 24 hrs when hot and you can’t hear TV. Awning doesn’t work tech on phone can’t fix. Computer brain a pain in butt. Made poorLy. design Poor they need to hire women engineers to lay out kitchen. Over all not a happy camper.
- Betty Campbe , Michigan

2020-02-11 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

We’ve owned this for a year and a half. Even though we didn’t get to use it a lot we are happy with the purchase. Had a black tank issue, but that was fixed. We would purchase this again and always keep in mind this is a mid level RV.
- Steven Carlson, Florida

2020-02-02 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

We upgraded to this rv to fit our family. We love the floorplan of this rv. The first trip out the inside refrigerator stopped working trim coming loose everywhere and the black tank flushes didn't work. Needless to say it had to go back for repairs. Getting ready to take back again which will be twice in 12 months. The back jacks have stopped working more trim coming loose and bedroom door coming loose from wall. Be very cautious when buying a cougar half ton 5th wheel!!! I will never purchase a another Keystone product very poor quality!!!!!
- Robert Campbell, Virginia

2019-11-12 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

Bought our 2019 Keystone Hideout January 2019 used 4 times and we have leaks all in the master bedroom. The dealership has been back and forth with the manufacturer for repairs. We have additional warranty that we bought for a additional 1000. Dollars. And Keystone does not want to help at all. Learned that the factory warranty that we were told was free , is NOT FREE, they require annual check ups in order to keep the warranty so when we brought it in for the leaks we learned that the FREE WARRANTY will be 217.00 every time. Soon as I can we will trade it in and buy from a different MANUFACTURER. This was our first RV purchase and will never buy or recommend KEYSTONE MANUFACTURER.
- Denise Myers , Texas

2019-10-17 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

I know buying any thing new has a few bugs we are in reno sweltering heat handles it fine now to tahoe for the winter have used it on a few below freezing nights, heater went out bnb one time buy a filter for inside and out. Also after un hooking the camper our first time auto leveling stopped working. Still waiting on a Jack under warranty. The place we bought our camper from has been nothing but helpful. If your sales person isn't willing to answer ur most seemingly dumb question don't buy from them...
- Paul, California

2019-09-13 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

I am a current owner of a 2010 KC 302RLS. I have had my share of problems over the last 10 years with it but it has held up fairly well. However now one of my slides is leaking, I had it serviced only to have the leak return! I want to trade my current unit in for a 2019 model. I went to my local RV dealer and was shown a new 2019 KC 302RLS. Great floor plan with 3 slides, king size bed, faux fireplace, theater seating , free standing table and chairs, 2 AC units, kitchen island! Wow everything I was looking for! “I’ll take it” was on the tip of my tongue, until I spotted what I thought was a spilled drink spot on one of the recliners. Nope, the entire slide roof had leaked causing warping and bubbling of the ceiling. The range hood paint was bubbled and the paint was flaking off. The backsplash tile had fallen off the wall onto the countertop. Obviously that purchase wouldn’t happen. You would think Keystone would see the value (profit) of customer loyalty, sadly they don’t. I haven’t even bought it and it is a hot mess !!!!!
- Cynthia Kensinger, Michigan

2019-08-25 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 30RLS View Listings

The size and layout is great.craftmanship sucks.roof pealed off completely in less then one year, Keystone would not cover the 7,500 dollar repair warranties are useless,water system had plastic fragments in it from construction,soooooo disappointed.Shame on Keystone for its shady workmanship and poor costumer service.
- Terri Phelps, Illinois

2019-08-24 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS View Listings

Bought 2018 cougar 32bhs 4/18. Returned it the same week because it leaked when it rained. Kept it 3 months for the parts that the water ruined. I wanted to return it but camping world would not take it back.first time I used it the grey tank was rusted shut. The handle broke off in my hand. Had to use vise grips to get it opened. November I used the furnace for the first time. It was smoking the fumes would burn your eyes. I called camping world Craig told me it would burn off its normal. It burnt up. Keystone refused to replace the furnace. Said it was lack of maintenance. Refused to fix the grey tank lack of maintenance. Camping world sold me a lack of maintenance camper at a new camper price. I made the statement that who ever was the inspector was that inspected the camper needs to be fired.. I was told by camping world that keystone didn't inspect their campers. Class company. They had my camper for three months and didn't replace the furnace but they did take care of the recall on the furnace. They fixed the recall on a burnt up furnace. Guess they got the warranty money for the recall. The camper is cheaply made. Won't buy nothing from keystone or camping world again. Looking for a quality company. Any suggestions.
- Charlie bowman, Tennessee