Jayco Precept RVs Reviews (24)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Jayco Precept RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Rex Rexach from Florida says:

Have you owned any Jayco Precept RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Jayco Precept 35UN View Listings

Worst investment ever. My wife and I like it, we use it for a week in December. The main slde leaks its been in the dealer since January. Now the dealer said its a manufature problem and they can not fixe it. Call Jayco several times ,Im still waiting for an answer from them. This a brand new 2016 Jayco Precept in limbo, but im still making payments and storage fees. My advice stay away.... far away from this company and Tampa RVs. The service and sales are terrible. Dont fall for sale piches and 2 year waranty. The 2 year warranty dont mean a thing, much less the service.
- Rex Rexach, Florida

2019-05-12 2019 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

This is a great RV for the price, the floor plan is easy to work with, it has good handling and great ride. The full body paint is amazing. Motorhome looks and drives great, this is IMO a great motorhome for a beginner Rv'er to a pro Rv'er, It all starts with what dealer you buy your motorhome from, we were very happy with our purchase from RV1 in Albany NY. The customer service so far has been excellent; Jayco motorized division provided us with a gift membership to "Coach-Net Basic RV" which provides technical support service along with roadside assistance. The bucket list is finally complete!!
- Dennis Morrill, New York

2019-05-06 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

Perfect RV for the family, tailgating, road trips, vacations, or for guests coming to Visit. Easy to drive and reliable. Excellent storage and overall floor plan is fantastic. Make sure you get the cab over option for additional sleeping. I highly recommend this RV.
- Jeremy, Florida

2019-02-13 2019 Jayco Precept 29V View Listings

We purchased a 2019 29v in june of 2018 . We have had some issues . But our dealer has been great at scheduling and doing repairs . A stress crack was found on the back . The dealer sent pictures to jayco and repair where approved . We where leaving for Florida for the winter . Our dealer has already made arrangements to have it repaired and scheduled the time in the spring . we have met many Rv owners and appears everyone has some problems .
- florida traveler, Ontario

2019-01-27 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

A lot of bang for your buck. With any F-53 ford chassis there upgrades to be done. There are a lot of features with the RV. Jayco 2 year warranty was great. I like the 3 slides with 2 opposing each other in the living room.
- Ernest Feltman, Georgia

2019-01-18 2017 Jayco Precept 35S View Listings

Own a 2017 Jayco Precept 35s, we like our unit and actually just bought it a couple of month ago. This unit is 1.5 years in service and already the left front head lamp led strip (daylight) is half burn and Jayco does not want to honors the warranty nor help has they say I am a second owner. This led strip is built in the lamp, so not much choice to replace it. We really like the floor plan, but now are stuck with a $800.00 lamp to replace on our own. I will be driving with this new still new unit with a burnt lamp this summer and waiting for the aftermarket world to have this available. I sure hope nothing else will stop working has we paid a good chunk for this unit and did not expect to spend some money in replacing parts already, only 6000km on this.
- Maurice Hupe, Ontario

2018-11-27 2016 Jayco Precept 35UP View Listings

I will not try to describe ALL of the issues that my wife and I have experience with this unit. But to summarize the nightmare would be compared to having a root canal once a month for two years!! What a piece of junk!! From the generator to the electrical to water leaks from the bathroom to the rear slide out. Also slide out issues with the main room slide that required over $3,000 to repair that I had to pay for. The craftsmanship of the unit is cheap. Cheap seals around doors and AC units. Had to replace front air after one month. Rear TV has never worked. Generator has faults continually while in use. It seems that the factory in Elk Hart really doesn’t care. They tell you the same story. You take it to the dealer and after 15 trips/calls they give up on you and tell you not to come back or call. But my unit is still not repaired. Live and learn... but please folks don’t buy a Jayco motorhome. I owned two other Jayco’s before this one... both Travel Trailers.. they were good units! But Jayco is not ready for the motor home business. Never again.
- Doug Thompson , Mississippi

2018-09-16 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

Love the floor plan. Seats are not comfortable for driving but ok for lounging. The real issues are quality. It's always something. Drove horrible so I installed a steering stabilizer. AC VENT ISSUES ongoing. Driving lights won't adjust enough to be functional. I will never buy another Class A. Jayco sold out to Thor so they went to a new low.
- Sisco, Alabama

2018-09-02 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

This home is fantastic. Jride truly makes driving smooth and stable, absolutely no awaing while driving. The extra large windshield allows you a panoramic view. The floorplan is very livable. Both driver and passenger seat swivel to increase seating in living area. The shower and bathroom are separate. We love the abundance of storage both inside and underneath. Setup is a breeze with the pushbutton, self-leveling feature. We found that the gas mileage was much better than expected for a home this size. This home is beautifully appointed inside and out and offers all the comforts of home while traveling.
- Percy L. Shelton, Mississippi

2018-08-31 2017 Jayco Precept 36T View Listings

My disappointment with my Jayco rig is almost indescribable. I thought I was buying a good quality rig only to find the workmanship is awful. I bought my rig in late January and it has spent almost as much time at the dealer getting fixed as we have using it and we camp about 100 days per year. My issues have ranged from melting storage compartments to screws coming up through my floor. I understand if my A.C. goes out (which it did) is not necessarily a Jayco issue but most of the issues we have had are workmanship issues. For example, my latest issue was my 50 amp breaker started tripping even though we were only plugged into 30 amp service. So if we were pulling excess power the park 30 amp breaker should have tripped long before the rig's 50 amp. I pulled the breaker thinking I would try replacing it and found the wires were not tightened at all. They were completely loose which was causing the breaker to trip. There is no excuse for such terrible workmanship. I will never buy another Jayco product based upon the experience I have had with this supposedly high end Jayco coach.
- Greg Morton, California

2018-07-09 2018 Jayco Precept 29V View Listings

We have had a lot of trouble with minor repairs as things keep failing apart, i.e., water pump stopped working, cabinet door hinge came loose, bedroom drawer bottom fell out, manual window blinds not retracting on side windows, and the Garmin radio stopped connecting to the remote and the navigation stopped working. Finally, the rear end has a high pitched whine at 63 to 68 mph and we can't find a Ford dealer that has a heavy lift to fix it. I would never buy another Precept
- Dennis Hining, Texas

2017-08-22 2015 Jayco Precept 29UR View Listings

Bought the RV new off the lot. The best part of the purchase was the extended warranty because we've used it a lot. Based upon my experience with this, I'd never buy another Jayco. It drives well. The floor plan is really nice. But I have to plan on taking into the dealer to fix something after every trip.
- Ken Cluff, Utah

2017-06-02 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We love the RV, it had some problems in the beginning, but Jayco stands behind their 2 yr Warranty and fixed everything! The floor plan of the 31UL is just enough for 2 people. Even if you are living fulltime, it would suffice. The refrigerator is full size with an ice maker and the hot water is continuous. Thats what really sold us on this rv.
- Sheila Conroy, South Carolina

2017-06-02 2017 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

On a return trip from TN we stopped in to a large RV dealer in ASHLAND, VA just to look at a PRECEPT. This model had all of our wish list items so we traded our 2103 Fleetwood in. We LOVE our 31UL even though we had several PDI items to correct. I was skeptical to purchase because of the negative reviews I was finding. We have not had a minutes worth of problems. I am still waiting for parts from the PDI since we are 5 hrs from dealer. I would buy another JAYCO if need be.
- Bill G, Delaware

2017-01-18 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We enjoy our Jayco class A. The only warranty work done has been to fix a slight leak on the front right auto leveler jack, and replace a cracked light lens under the microwave. Everything else has worked great and we are happy with the rig. Ours has the J ride package and performed very well driving through the Colombia river gorge (50 mph wind) last summer with a flat towed Equinox.
- Mike Walters, Michigan

2017-01-03 2017 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We've owned the unit for just over 3 weeks and it's going back to the dealer for warranty work. LOTS of warranty work. Both main slides are out of alignment and ripped up my floor, the back slide doesn't close tightly. There's a big gouge in the sidewall of one of the tires with multiple circular slashes that the dealer covered up with shiny stuff. The heater fan is loose. The awning doesn't open. The clear coat paint didn't get applied evenly on the front and back caps. Jayco changed the design of the stove/microwave exhaust, so that there used to be a latch inside to open the exhaust vent, but now it's 11 feet up on the outside! I want my trade back! We'll see how the dealer an Jayco do with fixing the problem, as it's due to go back to the dealer next week. I haven't even made the first payment!
- Liz, Pennsylvania

2016-11-02 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

poor workmanship from factory had to repair many small finish items inside manuel is not any help to basic dont cover detail had to have both slideout seals replaced they leaked poor a/c in living area and from dash air will not buy another jayco this is my 3rd one and worst
- keith wiseman, Tennessee

2016-09-02 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

Totally agree with Ms. Helen. Bought this piece of crap in August 2015 and dumped it last July for a real motorhome! I filed a complaint with the BBB and also spoke with the powers to be at Jayco and was never offered any assistance until the 11th hour. Mr. Newcomer of Jayco stated in his letter to the BBB "a motorhome is like a house on wheels. You will experience it like a category 1 hurricane and a 7.0 earthquake!! You should contact your Attorney General and/or Thor (who now owns Jayco and express your concerns.
- paula g., Louisiana

2016-08-20 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We would never recommend buying a Jayco product. We bought our 2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL brand new at dealer in CA.Our salesman stressed over and over again "Made by the Amish," Amish Quality." The Jayco website states "Old World Amish Craftsmanship." NOT!! We took our 2016 out on a one-day trip. This is the registered letter I sent to the Manager of Customer Service, Roger Johnson: July 8, 2016 Roger Johnson, Customer Service Manager Jayco, Inc. 903 S. Main Street Middlebury, IN 46540 RE: 2016 Jayco Precept Dear Mr. Johnson: On May 28, 2016, we bought a 2016 31' Jayco Precept from dealer. After a less than one day trip in the Precept, we were forced to return the coach to Motorhome dealership. The following problems were identified: Rear of motorhome (driver side) has separated from body by approximately 1 inch Kitchen faucet mounted too close to wood cabinet, causing deep gouge in wood Dinette table mounted on wall unstable, causing table and wall to pull away Pullout pantry cabinet slams out while driving, and then drawers in cabinet also slam out Pullout drawer under stove slams out while driving Pullout drawer in bedroom slams out while driving Driver side window does not close completely, creating a constant whistling noise Driver side window, while closed, developed an extremely loud noise, at about a 90 db level, sounding like a loud leaf blower Crackling noise, similar to sand hitting inside the wall, around exit door and transom window, continuous Crackling noise, similar to sand hitting inside the wall, next to driver side window, appeared after approximately 100 miles of driving Screen door does not open with entry door Rubber molding around entry door separated and flying in the wind (only now partially attached) Unable to code keyless entry lock Wood fascia trim on side of slide detached Missing LP plastic gauge on tank, unable to read tank level Refrigerator continuously flashing error message, "LO dc" Extremely difficult to open entry door using inside handle Velcro cushions in dinette area do not adhere, constantly pulling away and slipping 110 volt at dashboard as well as USB ports inoperative Completely inadequately labeled Fresh Water/City Water Fill inlets (2) Completely confusing, inadequately labeled dials for setting fill options Cabinet handles not level 2016 Precept Manual completely inadequate as form of reference – generic and does not apply to 2016 Precept 2. To further elaborate on the above list: We noted at the time of purchase, that the placement of the sink faucet pressed up against the wood cabinet. When the slider was opened, a wear pattern was created causing a groove in the wooden cabinet directly behind the faucet. We also noted that the wall on which the kitchen dinette table was attached, flexed with even the slightest pressure on the table. There had been a bead of silicone run along the table/wall, however, that had already given way and was no longer adherent. It was also an inadequate "fix" for this problem. The wall is not stable and cannot support the dinette table. It was also noted that numerous handles on the various wooden cabinets were not level. On our initial test drive at the dealership, the driver side window, although closed and locked, vibrated open slightly after driving a few miles, creating a whistling noise. The window was pulled closed and the lock again securely closed, only to have the whistle begin again after only a few miles. (This problem has continued constantly since the motorhome was picked up.) These problems were pointed out to the staff at dealer. They agreed that all of the above were problematic and needed to be corrected, however, they recommended that we take the motorhome on our first trip to see if there were any other problems that might need to be addressed. We picked up the motorhome on June 2, 2016, and brought it to our home in Brentwood before taking it to a gated storage facility in Brentwood, CA. When backing the Precept out of our driveway (completely unloaded), which has only a very slight decline, the left side of the motorhome touched the asphalt on the street causing a scrape on the Precept body. In reviewing the 2016 Precept Manual provided, there is no mention of a problem with backing-up or down on any level. Photo attached of the driveway. When at the gated storage, we attempted numerous times to set the code on the keyless entry and were unable to program the keyless entry. We took our first trip in our Jayco Precept on June 28, 2016, to Twin Lakes, California, a distance of approximately 199 miles. After we arrived at the campground, we had a very difficult time trying to ascertain which fill (upper or lower) was for the fresh water fill, due to inadequate labeling. Our previous Class C Freelander had identical fill ports, one for external water and one for tank fill. The two fills on the Jayco Precept are so ambiguously and inadequately labeled, that it was impossible to know which one to use to fill the fresh water tank. The Precept Manual was of no help. There was no diagram and the instructions very, very generic, absolutely not describing this particular motorhome. The instructions in Section 8 – Plumbing System, don't even have photos to describe how and where to fill the fresh water. In addition, the two separate "utility center valve" instructions in the Manual are vague and generic, again without one photo to show settings. The City Water Fill, City Water Tank Fill and Country Water Fill instructions on Section 8-12, 8-13, are generic and completely inadequate in describing the filling process. What does "place the utility center valves in the 'Normal' position" mean? How would we even know that "utility center valves" even are? One simple photo in the Manual would have been of enormous help. In the process of trying to determine which fill port to use to fill the fresh water tank, we chose the lower fill inlet (which was the same one we used on our Freelander). We thought there was something wrong with the tank since it wasn't filling. Unbeknownst to us, it was filling up the black water tank – which was not properly identified. Why would a black water tank fill even be located in this area? It should be in the completely separate area where the black water and gray water valves are located. Again, nothing in the 2016 Precept Manual. After numerous trips in and out of the motorhome to check the level of the Fresh Water, it was noted that there was water flowing out of the bathroom. Upon 3. opening the bathroom door, the toilet was overflowing. I stepped on the flush valve to empty it, and the black water shot up like a fountain, spraying black water all over. In referring to your website online 2016 Precept Manual, which is slightly different from the generic manual provided with the coach, the wording is ambiguous and vague: Page 97, Fresh Water Holding Tank: There may be several ways to fill the fresh water tank depending on the model. For details of each method, refer to the Fresh Water Connections or the Utility Center (if so equipped) sections. There are plastic overflow tubes plumbed into the fresh water holding tank which allows water to flow out of the water tank (see City Water Fill). Occasionally, you may see water coming from the overflow tubes when the fresh water holding tank is filled. This is normal and can be a result of the recreation vehicle being parked on an incline, or the motion caused by starting or stopping during travel. What does this even mean? Page 95 There are two different water systems in your recreation vehicle: The fresh water system consists of the fresh water holding tank, fresh water connections, water pump, outside shower assembly (if so equipped), water heater, faucets, tub/ shower, and water purification system (if so equipped). The same vague, generic explanations were found for everything listed in this manual. This manual should at least be specific (preferably with photos) to the 2016 Precept Motorhome, which it supposedly represents. The refrigerator flashed an error message, LO dc. Again, referring to the Manual was of no assistance. In reading the NorCold Manual, the description of the error message was similarly vague. I called the Technical Assistance line for NorCold, and they said this was covered under warranty and we should take it to a service facility for repair. It was at this point, after less than one day, that we decided that we needed to return the motorhome to dealer for these issues. Needless to say, it was a disappointing start to our planned four-day vacation. On the trip home, the pullout pantry cabinet started slamming out while driving, and then drawers in the cabinet also slammed out. Each time, I would securely push the pantry cabinet back in, as well as the drawers, only to have this same scenario repeat over and over and over. The drawer under the stove and drawers in the bedroom also opened multiple times. The outside rubber molding around the entry door was flying in the wind, flapping as we drove. On our return home, the slamming out of the pantry cabinet and various drawers started. While dealing with the opening of the multiple drawers, I noted a fairly loud noise, like sand, or some loose material, vibrating around and beside the exit/entry door. This same loud noise vibration later developed in the wall area next to the driver side window. (This is a completely separate noise from the whistling and loud window noises.) After we arrive at the dealership, we noted the rear panel detachment on the right side of the coach. Our motorhome has been at the dealership since June 30, 2016. You 4. can imagine our disappointment in the quality of this Jayco product. We dread to think of what will happen when we take the Precept on a longer trip. At least on our first trip, we were only approximately 200 miles away from home. the dealership had stressed the Jayco quality over and over during our purchase process. Even saying that these motorhomes were "made by the Amish." Even your manual states: Old World Amish craftsmanship. Other than previously owning a Class C Coachman Freelander for a short time, we are really new to the RV process. We wanted to buy a new, quality product with electric options that we could enjoy as we travel the USA. Without even a decent manual to refer to if we have questions, we are very, very worried about being able to enjoy an uncomplicated trip in this Precept RV. In calling the Customer Service number listed in the 2016 Precept Manual, there is no option for RV, only Travel Trailer. Upon speaking with an operator at your Indiana facility, it was told that the number in the manual was not the number for RV Customer Service. Just another of the multiple problematic and misleading instructions. I look forward to your reply and a resolution to our problems. Sincerely yours, In the 41 days that the RV was at the dealership, they detected additional problems necessitating the replacement of the solenoid. Since this did not correct the refrigerator LOdc problem, two new batteries were installed. They also replaced the driver side window and new keyless entry lock, as the first one never was able to be programmed. August 19, 2016 Update: Since the 2016 had been at dealership since June 30, 2016, we were told that we could take it out on another trip, while we are still waiting for more of the warranty problems to be corrected. We never heard directly from Roger Johnson, or anyone else at Jayco in Indiana. On our four day trip to Southern Oregon from California, approximately 600 miles total, the following new problems were noted: Navigation system did not work. The play in the steering wheel has been problematic since Day 1, necessitating a constant moving of the steering wheel to the right and left to keep the RV tracking straight on the road. As we drove up Highway 5 in CA, we started hearing a loud popping, ping sound, as if a bolt had snapped. This happened approximately seven times over the length of the trip. The sound was located in the front passenger side area. Refrigerator ran continuously in propane mode, never stopping. The LOdc error message periodically flashed on the refrigerator. The front air conditioning unit did not cool the below 95 degrees, even though unit and the Cummins generator ran continuously all evening. The windshield wiper on the driver side skipped over the front window about 6 inches at a skip and was not adequate to cover the size of the window, even if it hadn't skipped. The passenger side wiper skipped but not the degree that the driver side did. Bathroom medicine cabinet backing inside detached. It was only held in place with silicone to begin with. Wind squeaks returned to driver side new window, as well as passenger side window, window in exit door and gasket area on passenger side slideout. The USB ports and plugs are only operative when the generator is running, not when the motor is running. I could only charge my cellphone by using the cigarette lighter socket. The Auto Level Retractor only registered that the left front and left side as retracted. The light stayed lit for rear and right side, necessitating that we exit the RV to confirm that they were, in fact, retracted. The generator showed an error message 35. On our first day out, when we returned to the motor home, the only door in or out of the unit was jammed. We struggled for 1-1/2 hours before my husband finally gave one BIG pull and the door popped open. After that, we still had difficulty opening the door from the inside. We would have to sit on the inside top step and push with all our might to get the door to open. The plastic trim on the kitchen cabinet shelves is not attached and has started to detach. Dealer picked up the RV this morning. It is unknown when this very poor quality RV will be "fixed." I am in the process of pursuing the California Lemon Law. Please, please, please, never buy a Jayco product. False advertising. They are not made by the Amish and there is not Amish craftsmanship - just cheap quality. Even the handles on the cabinets are at an angle, not level. Like looking at crooked pictures on a wall.
- Helen Wheeler, California

2016-07-15 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We bought a 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. THE WORST driving RV we have ever owned!! Our coach wondered all over the road. After everything was check, alignment, tire pressure etc., we were told we could purchase (approx $5000-$6000) aftermarket sway bars that might make it better. After talking to several other Jayco precept owners, we all feel that the chassis is overloaded. After our one and only trip, we sold this piece of junk and purchased a Newmar Dutch Star. Amazing quality, performance, and customer service.
- Barbara, Utah

2016-02-26 2014 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

Very, very poor construction quality. Every system has broken or malfunctioned. We go on a trip and return straight to the dealer for repairs. Thank goodness we are still under warranty. Latest problem is we picked unit up from indoor winter storage and trim had waited and pulled away from walls. Cabinet doors have fallen apart. Last year rhe automatic step broke, trim fell apart, window treatment fell off the wall, refrigerator broke three times, etc. The first uear we owned it, all the alarm systems malfunctioned, and the front panel of the truck developedlarge vertical cracks...the entire panel had to be replaced. The yruck can heating and air conditioning have never been adequate.
- Jessica Stricklin, Illinois

2016-02-21 2015 Jayco Precept 29UM View Listings

Our class A Precept has been a nightmare since day one! Even now after many trips to the dealer it's broken down in my driveway! Main slide is Stuck open....again. At least I'm not stuck 1100 miles from home again. Can't even tow it. Don't buy one!!!. Poor engineering...Please just give me my $$ back!!
- Alba Dodge, California

2014-12-29 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

It's new. We have only taken it out one time for an overnight. My only complaint is the drivers and captain seats are very uncomfortable. They offer no lumbar support at all. If I had taken a longer test drive I would have never never made the purchase.
- Chuck, Kentucky

2014-12-15 2014 Jayco Precept 31UL View Listings

We love this Class A . We did have a few issues which Jayco is in the process of fixing. The cab AC unit never worked Jayco would not listen to the RV shop people, took weeks to get the parts from Jayco. The slide needed to be ripped out and redone, still waiting on that. The outside storage doors lift up which is a pain. I see Jayco corrected that with the 2015 model.
- Barbara Conti, New Jersey