Highland Ridge RV Open Range

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Highland Ridge RV Open Range RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Vicki Witney from Ontario says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 2604RB View Listings

Can't even begin to explain the frustration and disappointment we are feeling about this manufacturer and our trailer. Purchased our 2016 Open Range 2604RB in June of 2016 and have had NOTHING BUT ISSUES.Dealership in Cambridge, ON Canada has been awesome and very understanding but this unit is LEMON and should never have left the factory. They should take this piece of crap back and give us a brand new one. See list below of our issues: 1. first time out with the trailer, water tank fill has been a bone of contention .. fill to full and it will syphon itself empty - VERY BAD DESIGN and I believe one of your techs discovered this while attempting to find the issue 2. All the gauges on the panel were reading incorrect .. found out at our last visit that the panel was wired wrong all along - dealership rewired it correctly so hopefully next season everything will work correctly if I don't burn it to the ground before then 3. Supposed outdoor speakers have blown twice (replaced under warranty .. actually not sure if they have been replaced for the 2nd time yet since they were on order forever) 4. Both the left and right cargo doors warped and were replaced under warranty 5. Outdoor kitchen cargo door hinge broke free from the frame and complete door assembly had to be replaced under warranty 6. Entry door recently discovered to be warped .. not sure if this was "repaired" or "replaced" .. had better have been replaced 7. One of the jacks gave way under the weight of the trailer, buckled and couldn't be fixed .. all four jacks replaced AT OUR EXPENSE .. VALUE $275 TOTAL 8. Exterior molding at the front of the trailer came apart from the lower cowling and had to be fixed by dealership 9. Grounding screw for the electrical system rusted and stopped the electrical system from working on one of our vacations; we thought it was a bad battery and ended up purchasing a $200 BATTERY AT OUR OWN EXPENSE in hopes that would fix it; turns out dealership found it to be the rusted grounding screw and fixed it 10. Propane tank tray had to be sanded down and repainted as it was rusting before end of the 1st season - COMPLETED BY OWNER 11. Kitchen range vent hood replaced 12. Kitchen window wouldn't open - frame bent - REPAIRED BY OWNED 13. Before we took delivery of the trailer, the bathroom door had to be replaced as the veneer was peeling away in 2 spots 14. Right lower side of the pantry collapsed - REPAIRED BY OWNER 15. Left lower side of the pantry collapsed - repaired by dealership by going through the outdoor kitchen to repair and reframe it from underneath 16. Dinette base came apart from the slide out floor .. had fishing gear stowed underneath the seat and apparently that was too much weight for the floor - REPAIRED BY OWNER 17. Right side dinette back came apart from the wall of the trailer - REPAIRED BY OWNER 18. Dinette storage covers REPLACED BY OWNER as the chipping wood installed by manufacturer was damaging the cushions 19. Back of dinette next to couch came apart from the base of the seat - repaired by dealership 20. Latches on 2 of the kitchen drawers wouldn't hold and kept opening during travel - REPAIRED BY OWNER 21. Caulking in and around the shower is absolutely deplorable - yellow and globbed everywhere - WILL BE REPAIRED BY OWNER 22. Caulking around kitchen and bathroom sinks redone as water was leaking down underneath into cabinets 23. Water pump making EXCESSIVE noise - REPAIRED BY OWNER - well at least as best we could 24. Replaced screws in furnace exhaust vent with stainless steel as original ones were rusting and leaving streaks down the side of the trailer 25. Dinette table leg broke away from table - REPAIRED BY OWNER 26. Clear trim on closing edge of shower door keeps coming apart when you open the shower doors - WILL BE REPAIRED BY OWNER 27. After only 8-9 months of ACTUAL use, entire suspension, springs, axles and brake covers are showing signs of surface rust and will have to be sanded and sprayed - hopefully the frame we can't see isn't doing the same thing Our 2yr frame warranty is up in Jun of 2018 and can't even imagine what troubles we are going to have after that when we don't have any dealership/manufacture coverage for frame .. thankfully we purchased the extended warranty for the system related parts but in all honesty, we are going to take pictures in the spring and try and ditch this unit. Can you imagine trying to look forward to booking vacations when all you have experienced so far are headaches and issues almost every time you go away .. it's actually stressful. A+ rating .. NOT EVEN CLOSE
- Vicki Witney, Ontario

2021-06-08 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 368RLS View Listings

We have problems with soft spots in our flooring, it is a structural problem we have had no leaks. Was told by the manufacturer, they have a two-year warranty. We will have to repair and replace the floor structure, and replace the vinyl. Sounds like a lot of other owners have had the same problem. We pay way too much money for Highland Ridge not to step up and fix this problem.
- Robin Schreiner, Washington

2021-05-13 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 371MBHS View Listings

We absolutely love the layout for our family of 6. We bought new and have been in it for 3 plus years. The quality is the biggest issue. First, our sub floors were installed incorrectly creating soft spots throughout the RV. We had them fixed under warranty but more popped up not long after and by then our warranty was expired. By far, our biggest issue has been the spring hangers. They shear off and it’s a MAJOR safety hazard. We’ve had 3 break, one causing major damage. We’ve had them all reinforced but it’s a constant safety concern. OR and Lippert are aware but have refused a safety recall. It’s a real shame and we won’t buy another Open Range after this.
- Lyndsay, Texas

2021-04-01 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 272RLS View Listings

DO NOT PURCHASE A HIGHLAND RIDGE. The first year the warranty cover a new AC and awning. After that we are on our own. Paid over $30,000 for a new camper in 2017 that is now trash. The slide out was not properly manufactured (you can see where the screws missed the mark completely). This allows water to stream in. It is now full of mold and will cost more to repair than what it’s worth. Highland Ridge does not stand behind their products. Highland Ridge will not even answer an email or phone inquiry when they know you are calling about the trash they manufacture
- K Amicone, Pennsylvania

2021-02-03 2016 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 367BHS View Listings

As my second RV, this was a massive upgrade from the prior TT. The finishings inside and overall structure are great quality compared to some of the other comparable makes and models on the market. Like all of the 5th wheels and TTs, the tires had to be upgraded early on, but the factory suspension with the Lippert wide-stance axles, leaf springs, and built-in electric brakes make this thing an easy and smooth tow.
- Jeremy Davis, Tennessee

2020-12-22 2020 Highland Ridge RV Open Range OF374BHS View Listings

Bought brand new 2020 42 ft 374 MBH Worst camper ever! Horribly built, Chinese crappy material, fake stainless steel, heater vents full of Debris! Heater didn’t work day 1! New heater put in and it melted bathroom floor! Dealer cut out around vent and left styrofoam in vent along with the wood and metal shavings from factory and a malfunctioning heater that melted floor and sent it back home to a family like that! Smelt something smouldering in the middle of night, I ran to that same vent and saw styrofoam melting with a small flame! 1 year later ( yes they left us like this for a year) the repairs are done, but worse than prior, heater still doesn’t shut off dispite thermostat being set ( new one) and ac turns on half the time instead of heater! The floor is peeling away from the wall they caulked it to the same day we got it back! Big bubbles in floor now which was a seamless floor they put a crooked tack strip in door way and door trim on the floor to try and hold the floor down! Only on half bathroom they broke sink underneath fixtures and left it leaking everywhere, and put in a shattered vent when it wasn’t broke before! It was so bad that I thought it was a prank or they had purposely done it this bad! There are about 20 more massive issues this unit has! Awning arm snapped missing my head by 1/4 inch and with such force it bent the arm elbow sideways 2 feet touching the dining Rm window! It was installed a inch too far over so it snapped randomly at no fault of ours! We were told that our vacuum bonded seal floor was bad in master and they couldn’t fix only manufacturer can. Next visit it miraculously wasnt that anymore and they shimmed a piece of wood to stop the popping sound! Well it didn’t it made it much worse and then caused a huge line with a 1.5 inch virtcal hump on master bed floor that trips you every time! Dealer also cut perfectly good wire in underbelly trying to figure out why he wasn’t getting power then after he cut cords to water pump and got power he realized he didn’t run it to inverter box! Then he spliced the ruined unnecessarily cut water pump wire back together ! There are so many big issues to list! We were offered $10,000 less for unit than what we paid by dealer because they could see a lawsuit brewing which was not cool considering it was defective from day 1 and they have put us though hell, but when We asked for them to put it on paper and not just a sticky note he said ok went inside then came back out empty handed and told us that he had been advised not to. We are not the type of people to sue or threaten a lawyer, we’re good honest hardworking people, but at this point we don’t have much choice! This unit was a dud right out of manufacturer but I think the dealership is responsible for all the shotty botched work and mistakes they made! My 9 year old boy could’ve fixed it better!
- Lauren white, Idaho

2020-12-16 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 293RLS View Listings

Highland Ridge does not stand by the product it manufactures. I would not recommend buying a Highland Ridge. The slide floor has separated in my 3 year old unit and they refuse to even help with costs of repair. Customer service said no and wouldn't even talk with dealer about the issue. I am unable to move my slide in due to the issue. There is no water damage,no leaks. Just poor quality in design. 2500 to 3000 dollars to replace the floor in the slide. I had my previous RV, a different make for 15 years without flooring issues. The floor in a 3 year old unit should not separate. I bought this unit because I heard of the good quality and customer service of Highland Ridge. Well I have found out from experience that this is NOT the case. I regret my decision to purchase their product. Buyer Beware!
- Donna Walden, South Carolina

2020-10-22 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 371MBH View Listings

This review is towards the customer service at Highland Ridge. My unit has had to be repaired at the headquarters in Indiana and the service department went out of their way and went overboard in the repairing of our unit. i mentioned a few items that I knew needed repair but they found other things that could be repaired as well. Things I didn't even know about. They just did things without even telling me, just things that I am still finding that they did that was not expected. Our experience with the repair facility is what makes us looking to own another Highland Ridge product.
- Joshua Merwin, Texas

2020-10-07 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 291RLS View Listings

If I could give this camper a -100 I would. In May of 2018, I purchased the above-captioned travel trailer from Butler RV in Butler, PA. My family was thrilled to buy this gorgeous trailer. However, that was short-lived. Shortly after our first trip out, we noticed water leakage around the tip out near the stove. Then came the issue with the frame starting to rust. Then in 2019, the Power Tongue Jack needed to be replaced. This past week we traveled to Virginia to experience water leakage above the dining table, the black seal around the dinette tip out to dangle while being pulled, the air conditioning unit not working correctly, the refrigerator leaking water onto the floor and now the roof is higher on one part causing water to drain down the side of the camper and not through the gutter, outdoor speaker wires are loose, the panel door next to the couch was not attached. Not to mention screws coming out of the floor that hold the couch. We previously owned a Forest River Flagstaff camper and never had one issue until we had the camper for 12 years. When you pay $33,081.05 for a BRAND NEW RV, you expect that it to have better quality than a pre-owned vehicle. We also purchased the extended warranty for this RV. Very poor craftsmanship. This camper is a lemon! I will also be filing a complaint with the BBB regarding this product.
- Les Pemberton, Pennsylvania

2020-09-22 2016 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 347RES View Listings

very spacious and comfortable A fireplace for cold mornings Air conditioning if its too hot Great Awning with lights for sitting around in the evening Plenty of cupboard and closet space. Easy maintenance and easy to tow
- diana, California

2020-09-08 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 337RLS View Listings

Warranty isnt good ours is just falling apart every where not worth buying cheaply made and over priced our ac units went out after only having it a month our slide is falling apart whenever we had warranty work done they kept it for weeks dont buy one there junk
- Charles , Oklahoma

2020-08-21 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 272RLS View Listings

Never buy from a company that will not stand behind their product. Cabinets falling apart just after 3 years. Poor quality, never will I buy an RV from Jayco Open Range again. Grand Design is the way to go.
- Derek Snider, North Carolina

2020-07-30 2015 Highland Ridge RV Open Range Roamer View Listings

It was home! Myself, husband and our 3 dogs were completely happy. Living in an over 2000 sq foot home to the Roamer was a breeze for the transition. The full size ridgerator made cooking simple and trips to the grocery store very minimal. Storage space is amazing. Comfort and leisure was the ticket.
- DJUANA TOMLIN, Texas

2020-07-22 2017 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 272RLS View Listings

I wouldn’t purchase another Highland Ridge/Jayco. I’m a working man and saved my money so I could retire and enjoy traveling. We purchased our Highland Ridge Open Range brand new and thought we were buying a quality unit. Asked a lot of question about how they were built and what material was used. We were told the flooring was 11/2 inches thick. Our mistake was we thought it was solid. Turns out it is 1/8 inch wood top and bottom filled with foam. After three years of traveling just in the spring and summer the floor has develop soft spots. Between the rafters it will sag 1/2 inch. The problem for us being in our later years of life it causes us to trip and fall. We are out of the two year warranty but thought surely the manufacture would stand behind their product. Every thing you read about their produce they state how They only use the best practices and material. But according to them this isn’t a problem and normal wear and tear called foam deflection. They also stated even if we were still in our warranty period it wouldn’t be covered. So now I’m stuck making payments on a Highland Ridge Open Range that I’m afraid to use. I’d Recommend you stay away from Highland Ridge/Jayco products. Be sure you don’t get taken by their sales pitch of quality product. Because clearly they only care about making money over selling something that should last more than three years.
- David Burson, Wyoming

2020-06-12 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 348RLS View Listings

This RV has more room than any other unit i have visited. The storage space is truly amazing, live ability is second to none. All mechanicals are well designed and work flawlessly. The truck RV combo tows through the mountains flawlessly and without reservation i would keep this unit for years if my health allowed.
- Jack, Ohio

2020-04-27 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 371MBHS View Listings

Wish I could say I love the RV. Sidewalls are bubbling similar to delamination on a 2 year old trailer but while in for warranty denied repairs it was discovered that it was a problem in the manufacturing process. I would only have to guess that they have this problem frequently. The trailer has passed 2 leak tests prior to being denied.
- Dan Mattis , Alberta

2020-03-16 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 310BHS View Listings

2018 Open Range 310 bhs. The company has a three-year structural warranty. The main slide fell apart two months after the year warranty. The company wants 5 grand to repair. Talked to 7 rv dealer and all say the design is horrible. I have the opportunity to pay 7 grand to have someone design a new floor that will last. I have bought this trailer to last until I'm dead. Company simply said (rudely) it's not covered in the warranty. Other than that and the kitchen sink assembly being a horrible design the trailer is not bad. They all say it's a factory defect. Hopefully, the attorney can get something done or I will file a small caliam action.
- Chris Huston, Iowa

2020-01-20 2019 Highland Ridge RV Open Range OF371MBH View Listings

My wife and I and three of our children used this RV on a six-month trip covering all of the western United States. We had enough space to live and we loved the separate sleeping areas for our boy and two girls. There is lots of storage inside and out. Once we learned how the leveling system worked, set up was a snap. It pulled great with our Ford F-350. Once parked, it was very stable even when facing 80 mph wind gusts in Amarillo, Texas. We loved the RV which was perfect for our extended trip.
- Tim Partlow, Tennessee

2020-01-18 2016 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 318RLS View Listings

All around great bought new in 2016, pulls real good, backs with ease floor plan is good heat & air, refrigerator do a good job. entertainment system is nice, also has the furoin back up system that is excellent. Awning and lights are real good would like to know lengh of awning.
- Auty Parker, Oklahoma

2019-12-17 2019 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 291RLS View Listings

Many problems after afew months of ownership. With my research l thought l was on track for a halfway decent RV. My wife & l are selling our home so have been in this nearly 2 months now. we have approx 6 issues we will take this in for when we reach our next home in Feb. 1: Slide will not close completely even after trying Lipperts suggestion. 2: the valve that flips from city to holding tank seemed messed up at first but MAYBE ok now. either way on the initial use on city setting it filled the holding tank, over flowed to the point it filled the underbelly enough i had to drill a small hole to release the water. 3: duct vent under bed must be pinched as little to no heat comes from it. 4: right front bedroom wall near window feels cold/wet after rain. went to roof & found a screw missing from the gutter. sealed this & hoping it's the problem though the interior wall could now be holding water? 5: bathroom sink, l believe hot water line has a leak somewhere as every morning we dump the small tupperware bowl. 6: furnace was working fine till lastnite. the fan comes on then turns off as no ignition. many things this could be. seems there is no QA anymore on products. just push them out. no need to have pride in your products.... Steve from Virginia...
- Steve Thiles, Virginia

2019-12-03 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 370RBS View Listings

You would be better served if you bought a RV unit/ product from a different manufacturer. My experience with this manufacturer and this unit started with kinked hoses to the washer/dryer assembly, sensors to the tanks that were not installed, an awning that stopped working would not retract, door rivets popping out, and incompatible rivets on the bumper not allowing the sewer hose to be stowed as advertised to just name a few of the problems. The thing that is so puzzling is that supposedly this was quality checked before being released to be sold. The furnace was another issue entirely that is seemingly ongoing. I am being told because of the design or placement by sources outside of the company. The company management essentially told me that it what it is and while they will cover it until the warranty runs out (a year) and then I am essentially on my own. THE CAVEAT TO THIS IS THAT IT IS/WAS A BRAND NEW TRAILER, NEVER OWNED, SOLD AS NEW, TRAILER. I, of course, have had additional problems after the warranty lapsed... more furnace issues, and more sensor issues. This company doesn't care about its product or customers. As, I was talking to management about the issues and trying to get help to no avail, I mentioned that I was going to put a Lemon sticker all over the trailer and was told that it was my prerogative. I essentially took that as they don't care, as should you. I would not recommend this company/product to my worst enemy.
- Elton Pettaway , Nevada

2019-11-14 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range LF291RLS View Listings

Great floor plan. All warranty items were minor and repaired by Palm RV in Ft. Myers Beach FL. Highly recommend them, and I didn't buy the unit from them.The coach pulls like a drean. I love the whisper quiet AC. Things I dislike, the cabinets, while they look good, the sides are cheap. Probably to keep the coach light. The small step by the bed. Mattress is terrible but easy replacement. Only one switch to turn on all the main lights. Many will disagree, but I hate the friction hinge door. Also I should have gotten a 2nd AC unit.
- Dan, Illinois

2019-08-16 2014 Highland Ridge RV Open Range LT308BHS View Listings

WORST CAMPER EVER!!! We have owned our new since 2014. We can not camp because it is constantly experiencing a defect or breakdown. We have replaced all three slide switches at least two times each. I tell everyone I know about how awful the quality is. Thankful I bought the extended warranty because I have used it every year except 2016, while it was in storage for a year. I wish I understood lemon laws better. Our dealership was no help. I'm paying for a camper that we cant use because normal use causes the slide switches break. In order to get to the manuel crank you have to tear out the decorative trim and the ceiling. How does that even make sense? So that would mean damaging the structure of the camper to bring the slides in manually. So instead of one repair bill I have two. Dawn
- dawnmarievm, Iowa

2019-07-31 2018 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 272RLS View Listings

After extensive research and visiting dozens of dealers we Purchased our 2018 272RLS .From the moment we walked in we fell in love. This was one of the first RV’s we had looked and and nothing else measured up. We had one minor warranty issue with the fireplace needing to be replaced . The service department at The dealership took care of it in a timely fashion. The quality and pride that goes into this unit shows everywhere. The level slides with no carpet in the living room area is a big plus when it comes to cleanup as well. If you are looking for a new RV you need to consider Highland Ridge Open Range Brand. We highly recommend them.
- Greg keef, Alabama

2019-07-12 2016 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 318RLS View Listings

We have stayed in and owned a number of trailers over 30 years and by far this has been the best one. The build quality, layout, function and ease of use is awesome especially since we changed the hitch to the Anderson lightweight goose neck, so light, quiet and easy to use and pack away. Back the Open Range 318RLS, we love the space with the big slide outs extended, large high shower cubicle, great TV location, tons of storage, airy and bright open window views, awesome kitchen design layout and all round quality cabinet construction. I tow this unit with my 2015 F150 V6 Platinum ecoboost with ease, no sway and my truck powers it up hills and down effortlessly. I think I have the perfect light weight combination which includes actual 90 degree turns without the trailer touching the truck cab, I can get this thing in anywhere with ease. My wife and I hope to enjoy our camping for many more years, our next adventure is our 2019 5 week 8,000 east to west coast trip through 21 states this summer. We Highly recommend this model 5th wheel for a couple with the option of the occasional guests using the sleeper sofa and auto inflating air bed. We Really can't express in words how pleased we are with our 5th wheel.
- Stephen Briddon, Florida