Grand Design Solitude

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design Solitude RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2021-10-10 2019 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R View Listings

I have been an RVer since childhood. I have owned travel trailers and a Grand Design 2019 Solitude 380 FL-R. This 5th wheel is one of the BEST long term, over the road rig available. This is a 4 season rig made for the gray and for frigid temperatures, whether traveling through Florida or Arizona in the summer, or enjoying the could-frigid weather of the northeastern states like Maine in the winter, this rig is fit for all environments. Two large A/C’s keep you cool centrally in the summer and three separate heating sources ( heat pump/gas or electric furnace/ living room fireplace). The unit Sleeps 6 large adults comfortably. With the nicety of two bathrooms, there is never a line waiting for restroom privileges. The residential refrigerator, large cooking surface and oven makes you feel as if you are at home. The master bedroom’s 14” mattress is so comfortable one has challenges getting out of bed in the morning to watch the sunrise. This by far is the Best rig I have ever owned. Never an issue with any of the rigs workmanship. Grand Design did an Outstanding job with this 5th wheel. 5 Stars no doubt.
- George Vaillant, Georgia

2021-09-17 2018 Grand Design Solitude 373FB View Listings

Have a 2018 GD Solitude 373FB. I have been RVing over nearly 25 years. All I can say to this rig has given me the most grief of any rig I have ever owned. This is my 5th rig and 1st GD and I am not impressed. Bought this new and have already replaced micro/conv oven, both AC units, main TV, toilet, outdoor shower unit, carefree awning, and parts on the Thomas Pain recliner/love seat. Also, every time I go on a trip my pantry shelves fall. My recent road trip brought the window treatment over the table down, caused the shade to come out of the track, and scratched up the table. Still can't get the rail the shade is on to re-engage and hold the shade up. The pocket door also came off the track while secured. Oh yeah, and the Thomas Pain recliner isn't operation again. Will likely toss this poorly designed love seat for 1 Lazy boy RV size recliners. I know most GD owners think the world of their RV, but I can't recommend them. Structurally they may be well built, but the finish out is cheap. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty. It has saved me thousands, but I am moving to full-timing and can't have the rig tied up in the shop.
- Alan Rochkus, Texas

2021-08-20 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK View Listings

Overall we like the 310GK. Great for the 2 of us and an occasional guest. I will say though that for its size it's a difficult HEAVY tow. 12K empty and 14K loaded. Factory claims a 2300lb pin weight but I'm fairly sure it's heavier than that. I wouldn't tow this with anything less than a 1 ton I don't care what the truck/RV salespeople say. Speaking of heavy, don't leave the stock tires on too long. They are barely within the load limits of the trailer. Grand Design has a decent reputation and I expected a lot. Some of the coach is outstanding and some is so so. The bedroom was as an example feels almost like a flimsy piece of cardboard with an outlet in it. The AC units both have loose wiring in the circuit boards which has had to be repaired twice. The heat in one of the recliners keeps failing. Be careful of those warranties, they don't cover AC wiring. We do love the floor plan. More and ample storage for us both inside and out.
- daveyator, California

2021-08-07 2019 Grand Design Solitude 385GK View Listings

UNIT IS ACTUALLY A GRAND DESIGN SOLITUDE 3350-RL (not available in drop-down menu) We purchased this unit to live in while building our house. Within days of putting it on our owned RV site, we began noticing problems - a huge leak in the understorage, poor quality in the kitchen sink (began showing rust spots within the first week), unit arrived with dents in the bathroom sinks
- Kelly Sholinder, British Columbia

2021-08-07 2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

We have owned our Grand Design Solitude for five years and recently sold it. But, our Grand Design trailer was been a wonderful experience. It was extremely comfortable and free of any problems. So, if your looking for at home comfort on wheels, with an elegant interior design, you should look at Grand Design trailers prior to making your final selection. Although we recently sold our trailer, if we ever decide to purchase another trailer, we would look at Grand Design again.
- Lee Sylvester, Texas

2021-07-23 2017 Grand Design Solitude 374TH View Listings

We really like the living space and storage space. The garage is especially nice for our bikes, and winter clothes when we go south. Some ot the pros: -We were able to sleep six. -The spacious living room allowed six of us to sit comfortably. -Large fridge and freezer are great, as well as the spacious kitchen. -The large garage allowed us to store three bikes, winter clothes, a seven foot ladder, and some bins with additional items. -The Solid Step is great for entry. -The auto leveling makes leveling easy! -The stadium chairs are great for watching TV. -The bedroom closets can hold a ton of clothes. -The shelf above the bed is perfect for my CPAP. -The blackout blinds provide privacy and allow you to sleep well after the sun is up! -With the bedroom in the rear, you’re away from street noise. -The two spacious kitchen pantries and cabinets provide ample storage space for kitchenware and food. -The fireplace heats the living room and space heaters can be used for other areas. -The large fish water, gray water and black water tanks were great for our needs. Some of the cons: -Because of its size, we couldn’t fit in every campground and when towing, we had to fill my truck at truck stops because gas stations were too small. -We also had to be careful to not bottom out on steep entries. -The awning has to be opened after rain in order to dry out. -Because of its height, we had to be careful with lower bridges and awnings.
- Dan Westrum, Minnesota

2021-07-20 2021 Grand Design Solitude 380FL View Listings

Our first trip out in our new Solitude 380fl. After placing the trailer exactly where we wanted it, we disconnected it from the hitch and unplugged the 7-pin electrical socket on our truck. We pulled our truck forward and then returned to the trailer to start the leveling sequence on our automated hydraulic system. That is when we noticed small wisps of smoke coming from the hitch housing on the trailer. We were immediately alarmed and started looking for the source of the smoke. We started opening compartments on the front-side of the trailer (both left and right) and immediately noticed smoke coming from both sides. Eventually, we noticed flame in the propane compartment on the right side of the trailer, though it seemed to be up high and deeper in the structure of the trailer. We emptied a full extinguisher into the compartment, but the fire was still evident. We then opened the front electrical/hydraulic compartment and flames poured out, prompting us to empty a second extinguisher into that compartment. This seemed to put out the flames, though there was still a significant amount of smoke. Grand Design will not honor the warrantee and refuses to take any responsibility for the defect. Potential owners should take extreme caution before dealing with this company.
- Darrin Odell, California

2021-07-13 2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB View Listings

This RV tows better than our 31 foot bumper pull did. It is so spacious and comfortable that my wife and I have actually spent some nights in it while it sat in our driveway, just because we love it so much but couldn't get away.
- Mark Snow, Utah

2021-07-07 2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R View Listings

Just bought it have had 4other fifth wheels over the years the quality is ok not top of the line lots of trim mistakes not stapled properly no toilet paper hanger or face cloth holder in bathroom kinda of tacky opened the bathroom cupboard and saw on the wall a 4 inch round hole where somebody made a mistake at factory and left it there the quality of work is just not there.
- Jim, British Columbia

2021-06-23 2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK View Listings

This RV is our first ever RV. Living in it full time for work. Very comfortable lay out for living full time. Plenty of storage in under belly and in closet and cabinets. The self leveling feature is a must have. Very satisfied over all. We had a few issues with components but Grand Design handled all our issues in a timely manner. Even shipped to our location California where my husband was working so we never had to haul it to an RV repair site. We are now looking to purchase a toy hauler model so we can have our motorcycles with us in retirement.
- Julie Cormie, Texas

2021-06-15 2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R View Listings

We actually have a 310 GK (not GK-R-so we have no residential refer, we have the gas/electric refer). We are happy with the camper, the space, and the quality after one year - partially in Maine, partially in FL. Our Heat-both gas and heat pump-and A/C work fine. Our Refer struggles in the heat to keep the food temperature down. The only small problems we had after delivery included the gas water heater needed a quick fix to work on gas ($50). Using electricity, the water heater heated up the hot water very quickly. Also, a folding D/r chair was broken. Grand Design sent a replacement chair for no cost. The trailer tows beautifully behind a GMC 3500 with the diesel. My words of advice to all new RV owners - get a detailed checklist to go through when you do your walk through, and allow plenty of time. Check that everything works - perfectly. Expect things to go wrong after you have it-and make sure you have a good friend who can help you fix minor issues. Hopefully, you will not encounter any major issues. We are generally impressed with the Grand Design quality. But, then again, we have been camping a long time and we know all campers have their issues. Be patient and enjoy the outdoors. If you expect your RV to be perfect when you take it home or go on your first trip, you should probably not be RV'ing.
- John Brozowski, Massachusetts

2021-06-12 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES-R View Listings

Very nice for full timer or weekend use tows easy auto level jacks residential fridge with ice marker washer and dryer king size bed all the comforts of home lots of storage 4 ft by 8th slide out drawer in rear for easy storage
- Richard Moore, Minnesota

2021-06-04 2021 Grand Design Solitude 385GK-R View Listings

I recently replaced my 2013 Forest River Cardinal fifth wheel with a 2021 Grand Design Solitude 385GK-R fifth wheel. On my third weekend using it, the hot water heater quit working on electric. As I investigated, I discovered the heating element cover melted, one wire burned back about two inches, and the other wire so loose I lifted it off without loosening the screw. I am traveling and will be passing directly by the Grand Design plant. I contacted them to see if they could make the half hour repair. They said no, they are booked until late July. They gave me the name of two repair centers near them. They both refused saying they are also booked until late July. In the meantime, I'll be traveling for two more weeks between now and the end of July, with bare, exposed, electrical wires should the electric hot water heater switch accidentally be turned on. I'm left wondering, is this the level of warranty service I should expect from Grand Design for a $99K purchase?
- Gene Flewelling, Pennsylvania

2021-06-02 2020 Grand Design Solitude 390RK View Listings

A great rv . Well built . Comfortable . Easy to tow . Just the right size . Highly recommend . Our first fifth wheel and was not disappointed . This is a highly sought after model . And that’s why the 2020’s are so hard to come by .
- Jerry Hamm, Tennessee

2021-06-01 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

Very spacious and well built coach. Probably the most interior room we have ever seen. Entertained inside three couples and still have plenty of room to move. Pulls straight as an arrow and still smells new. Moving to Toy Hauler to load cart and tools for winters in Florida. Everything works and is an excellent condition. Stored inside during the winter months.
- Eriks Mezsets, Michigan

2021-05-24 2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL View Listings

Grand Design is a great company with great customer service.Love the 380FL floorplan, and love the one and half bath option.Love having the generator to boon dock.Love having the two pull out couches with privacy curtain for guests.
- Karla Ann Flannagan, Iowa

2021-05-17 2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

We love the front living room with plenty of room for guests. It tows great with a Ford F350. It is an all season trailer that performed good in northern Tennessee and central New Mexico during winters in both locations. The 12 gallon water heater is great for several showers without running out of hot water. The fireplace heater was great in aiding the furnace at night. My last trailer did not have the self leveling system and was a pain for setting up. This one with self leveling is a breeze. Just push a button and that's it.
- Dennis Fowler, South Carolina

2021-05-14 2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FLR View Listings

We bought this RV to travel the United States and fish where we could. The RV is excellent for the livability with every assistance provided such as the hydraulic leveling system is the biggest plus. The only down item would have to be the washer/dryer install done in Willis, Texas. The shake/rattle/
- David L. Buster, Texas

2021-04-12 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

Moved into this 5th wheel for full time living. 5 slides gives a wonderful roominess. It’s more like a small apartment on wheels! Grand Design gave great thought to the little details. Lots of easily accessible storage, USB ports and electric outlets. Comfy loveseats and recliners (in the upper living room) great for guests and naps! Kitchen is well designed layout and very nice appliances. Lots of led lights to illuminate every corner. Wet bar and mini fridge are really appreciated at cocktail hour. Bedroom with a king size mattress and plenty of wardrobe space. Under bed storage is ample. Dual sink vanity and porcelain toilet give the rig a finished look and feel. Outside storage is huge. Slide out tray in the rear is great for bikes. 7 ft ladder fits nicely in pass through storage. Nautilus p4 water system, Lippert hydraulic auto level makes set a snap! Towing is a breeze with our 1 ton single wheel GMC Sierra. Drove into an unavoidable large dust devil with a car on the left and a truck behind and only had a slight wobble without getting into the other lane! Added disc brakes from Performance Trailer Braking systems and have no problem coming to a smooth stop under any condition. Overall a great rig for a big family adventure or full time living!
- Jeff Norris, Kansas

2021-03-28 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES View Listings

Unit is well built and well thought out ! We lived in ours traveling for over a year and could it exceeded all our expectations. We really like the three distinct spaces. The is no lack of storage . It's big but tows great!
- Chuck Snead, North Carolina

2021-03-28 2018 Grand Design Solitude 384GK View Listings

This RV has no issues, we had a wonderful experience since we used it once for 2 months, drive it to Florida nd back,since then it's bin sitting in storage due to Covid,we decided to sell it Not planning to go to Florida anytime soon! Staying in Durham!!
- Joe vernoy, Ontario

2021-03-26 2015 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

For a large beauty, this rig pulls like a dream. Large enough for living in long term and makes every camping trip comfortable and enjoyable. Tons of storage inside and underneath. Large kitchen in this plan along with spacious salon makes this the popular place for everyone to be when camping with friends. We’ve taken this rig to national parks, extended cruises across the country, hunting in eastern Montana, fishing in the eastern Sierra Mountains and getting our share of sunshine on California beaches and never had anything less than excellent adventures.
- Ed and Mary Ann Puett, Montana

2021-03-22 2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS View Listings

I would never recommend Grand design solitude we have had trouble since the day we put it off a lot refrigerator promote broke from the floor 2 months after we bought it handrail broke a month after we bought it we've had a leak underneath the trailer since we bought it we paid it off so we can trade it in on something else and Grand design couldn't even get us a clear title they said that was my responsibility.
- carolynralph1961, Michigan

2021-03-19 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

Very sad that we invested so much money in a unit that has a great layout, but poor quailty. The entire unit fills with dust upon each journey. The bathroom door never stays shut, only one small magnet at the bottom to hold it, poor design. Several pieces of trim broke and the jacks began going bad and you have to relevel every other day. Grand Design referred me to dealer, dealer referred warranty to Grand Design and they say these are not warranty items. It was our first and last Grand Design. Hope I can find a better quality unit with the same floor plan.
- Doreen McClure, Montana