Grand Design Solitude Reviews on RV Insider (103)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design Solitude RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2020-09-18 2019 Grand Design Solitude 375RES View Listings

We love the layout of this RV, it's easy to maintain and gorgeous to see coming down the road. Keeping the outside clean is the key to it's beauty and like anything else, you take care of it and do the yearly maintenance on it, the rig will not fail you. We get compliments on it all the time and it is affordable.
- Dawn, Florida

2020-09-02 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES-R View Listings

Love this fifth wheel. Quality and build is so much better than Some Of our friends RVs and our previous RV. Storage underneath is like crazy wow and more countertop space than others. We’ve lived in ours full time for two years with very few issues. Bouncy houses will have things go wrong but very impressed with customer service and response times.
- S Reecer, Texas

2020-08-29 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

just picked the unit 3 weeks ago. I have towed it 600 miles with no problems. GD have upgraded the axles and the braking system worked well. The interior is immaculate, with no defects. I have one bathroom faucet thats needs a new fixture or cleaned out, debris appears to be in a connector. The fridge, stove and convection works fine. All of the slides function perfectly, the exterior is a high gloss painted surface with no defects. It rivals DRG in finish. The unit tows well and weighs 16k. My previous unit was a Fuzion 322 touring edition. It far surpasses the build quality of a keystone.
- Robert Mullan, New Mexico

2020-08-11 2015 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

Hello,, do somebody have problème with sofas in the vr? Mine are all simili Leather ( I Thing) and is All coming off. I will like to send picture bécasse it’s a big problem and nobody want to help me, garanty Say talk to the dealer, an the dealer say it’s not is problem, because the new dealer buy the fist one.... Sorry for my english am franchement in montreal city Québec canada
- Martin picard, Quebec

2020-08-10 2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R View Listings

We bought a 2020 380 fl solitude in July 2020. When we got it home the recliner chair didnt work so we had to not use it until the new parts came in which was after we had it parked back home. Floor plan was what we wanted for full time living. We took it out for the 1st time end of July for 10 days. Our son and his wife and 2 boys were with us. The trifolds were so uncomfortable that we folded them up and put a sponge on the floor instead. They need to get better trifold cause this is suppose to be high end. They should try sleeping on them and see what one night does to their backs. We checked out other RVs when we got done camping and they are putting in the cheaper furniture that you would sell in the lower end campers. We took pics of the cheaper camper furniture and the furniture is the same as ours. Sad we paid alot of money for this 5th wheel. Waiting to hear if grand design will change out the crap furniture they put in for a high end supposedly 5th wheel. Not happy and if they don't we will be trading it out for a Jayco where at least you get what you pay for. There trifold are so comfortable in Jayco pinnacles and the north points. Please check everything out before taking this solitude home.
- Correen , Saskatchewan

2020-08-09 2019 Grand Design Solitude 385GK View Listings

We bought a brand new Solitude at the first of the year. Due to COVID19 the trailer was in storage until June. We stocked the trailer during this down time. Every time we went out to the trailer the battery was dead. When we hooked up the trailer to the truck to move it to a place where we could work on it the stabilizers failed to move. I leaned against a wall in the bed room and the lights went out. When we finally took the trailer out for the maiden voyage, the washer valve leaked gallons of water onto the floor. We found that the stabilizers had a short, there was a short in a light switch in the bedroom, the faucet for the washer was broken. Your quality control is horrible during your manufacturing process. After the maiden voyage with you elite trailer I would not wish the ownership of your trailers on to my worst enemy. The trailer spent weeks in the dealership for repairs (about 5 weeks to get repairs made) Slowest repairs at your dealership. Many of our complaints could not be duplicated in the repair shop so not everything was fixed. Will have to see on the next trip if these other un-fixed items were due to all the electrical shorts in the trailer. Spent over $1,000.00 for a Solar panel and additional battery. Worst trailer of the year award goes to Grand Design Solitude. Would give you less rating than a one, but your scale does not go that low. Thank you for your verbal concern. The dealer said nothing was wrong with the battery and they did not fix or repair the battery. They did sell me a second battery in an attempt to stop the dead battery every time we go to the trailer. I added the solar panel in an attempt to solve the problem myself. Will go out to the trailer this weekend and see if I have two dead batteries or if the solar panel will keep them charged. If you think all the issues have been addressed, then your wrong. Electrical shorts in a trailer are a dangerous situation and can cause a fire while we are in the trailer. You might want to address the bigger issue of quality control in your production line. If your people had tested the stabilizer system then they would have seen the issue before the trailer went on the market. Had your people inspected the dead battery issue before the trailer was sold then there would not have been any dangerous issue that the new owners would have to address. PUTTING PEOPLE'S LIVES AT STAKE WITH SELLING A TRAILER WITH NUMEROUS ELECTRICAL SHORTS IN YOUR PRODUCT IS UNACCEPTABLE.
- Mark A. Golden, Colorado

2020-07-28 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK View Listings

Auto level is effortless, well built, tows good. I wish they a made Solitude 12' high and 8' wide. It would be even easier to tow and less concern about height. My wife is uncomfortable towing a 5th wheel...we're considering a Class A
- Bob Wilbur, California

2020-07-22 2019 Grand Design Solitude 385GK View Listings

This is in regards to a 2019 385GK, new purchase. Very poor walk thru when purchased. Noticed that the sewer cap was missing when we brought it home. So far since we purchased, we replaced the bath sink faucet and realized that the counter is laminated with some type of paper, the living room TV was of such poor quality that we had to replace it, the DVD player is of very poor quality and won't play a disc correctly, the bed is the same quality that comes in a $20000 trailer. We have had to repair interior trim that has fallen off, the Furion stove has very poor flame adjustment capabilities, the AC units are very noisy, the bath fan is very cheap and now the inferior quality Norcold fridge just totally died. This is a 2019 that was claimed to be the dealerships top quality product. And I can say without hesitation that the 285 point quality inspection they talk about can't have happened on this unit. I am very dissatisfied with the trailer for the price point. It is no higher in quality than that of a trailer that is half the price. I am very sorry that I bought a grand design product and will not waste the time or money to purchase one again.
- Joe Maloney, Ohio

2020-07-20 2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK View Listings

My new 5th wheel was either wrecked in transit or either lied to us about it being wrecked . They are wanting to “fix” it (frame Damage) but I did not purchase a wrecked RV , I purchased a new one . Beware .....we saw another model on the lot with damage as well as passed up on it .
- Charles Harvey , Georgia

2020-07-19 2019 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R View Listings

Absolute nightmare! From horrible quality, BS warranty and more work than fun! Our family purchased a brand new pretty much top of the line Solitude 380FL that had a MSRP of about $112k, we paid 78 so you know the mark up is ridiculous... We were very excited, they look amazing in the pictures and at first glance they appear very nice. Our excitement was gone very quickly. We picked up the RV at the dealer, stopped home quick to load up and headed out for our only 2.5 hour trip. Right off the bat the cheap straps to hold the doors both broke off. The shower doors were stuck, water all over the cheap flooring so it warped in 1 day. Bathroom flooring should be able to get a little wet... One bedroom door does not stay open so you have to put something in front of it, no the rv wasn't on a slant, you can see it was hung crooked and its a rolling door. The fridge is a joke and hardly works plus pops the breaker all the time. Speaking of the breaker these people put multiple things on the same outlet as the fridge so if you plug in a toaster or something to the kitchen outlets it pops the breaker and the fridge stops working, it should be on a dedicated circuit like any fridge should be. The couches are the most uncomfortable couches any of us ever sat on. They are all made of the cheapest material with just floss inside as padding. My back was killing me so bad sitting in the "theater seating". Speaking of cheap materials, you won't find anything of quality anywhere! The stove is a piece of crap, the walls are paper, every screw in the wall you can see, the trim, flooring, bed, shower, windows break. You can see light coming right threw the main door when its closed... The gauges for the septic tanks mean absolutely nothing! 3 of the 4 hydraulics started leaking on our first trip so we had to manually retract them. This thing was the worst financial decision I ever made for my family in my life! After 1 trip none of us would get back in it. We took it back to the dealer and they said the manufacturer would only cover the hydraulics! I sold this piece of crap and lost my butt taking a over 35k loss for 1 use and it was a fight to sell it for that price plus I had to do as much as I could to fix things for a buyer. YOUR SUPPOSED TO BE ON VACATION AND THESE THINGS ARE NOTHING BUT WORK AND PIECES OF JUNK, GET A HOTEL AND YOU WILL BE MUCH HAPPIER, I WOULD NEVER GET IN ONE OF THESE AGAIN!!!!!
- Jay Simpson, California

2020-06-11 2016 Grand Design Solitude 384GK View Listings

We did extensive research before buying this RV. After researching we were impressed with the quality and features in Grand Design 5th wheels! After looking at all the Grand Design models we fell in love with the practical/functional floor plan of the Solitude 384GK. We really like the desk area and the 2 doors to the bathroom and how part of the bathroom is in the bedroom slide-out! We have loved this camper and it has performed exceptionally well! The only reason we are selling is that we'd like to take our ATV with us on a trip planned to Arizona next year so plan to buy a toy-hauler.
- johncwanner, Colorado

2020-05-28 2019 Grand Design Solitude 374TH-R View Listings

My unit is less than 18 months old. Auto level hydraulic system stopped working, microwave died, front TCL TV dies, outside awning covers fell off while in closed position, rubber flange covers fell off. I bought this RV a residential after retirement. When I asked about the failures, I was told it should b expected of I live in it full time. Excuse me? The name residential is in the model number. Residential means live in as in a home. There is no field support from Blue Dog or Grand Design. I am on my own. I don't have a 350, 3500 pickup to move this RV around. Judging from 18 months of ownership and the price I paid, I will never buy Grand Design or especially anything from Blue Dog. Lousy support. They offer excuses, not solutions.
- Gary Paul Reinke, Nevada

2020-05-26 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

The 40’ RV is the perfect length to tow and for weeks on livability. This particular RV is very spacious and comfortable. The kitchen layout is perfect for the family to interact while cooking eating and watching a late movie. The outside shower unit allows you to clean up your kids or family pet before entering the RV. But one of the most important and best feature is the one touch self leveling of the Solitude RV by Grand Design.
- David Kellerman , Iowa

2020-04-28 2018 Grand Design Solitude 384GK View Listings

I have owned this RV for two years now and I have to say it’s the best RV I have owned. The amount of storage, living space, the easy towing, camp set up fast and easy, but most of the quality of the RV is outstanding. To date I haven’t had any issues with this coach.
- Jerome Gumphrey , Washington

2020-04-24 2020 Grand Design Solitude 390GK-R View Listings

We are impressed with the build quality and design of our Solitude 390 GK R. Customer service and communication is second to none. Our 390 is great for us to winter in Florida for 6 months. There isn't anything we dislike about our GD. Oh, by the way, this is our third Solitude. (I am now done with my "two foot-ititus") We are GD4Life! I can't say enough good things about the Grand Design people's sincerity and customer service.
- Bob, South Carolina

2020-04-23 2016 Grand Design Solitude 310GK View Listings

We love our Soltidue 310 GK. Purchased it in Nov 2016. Camped it in a lot for the first year or so and then went FT in it a year ago. It tows great. Feels like home. Everyone that we have had over is blown away by how beautiful it is and the amenities it has. We will be living in it for at least another year while we develop a property and have a house build. The main issue that I have has been issues with the dealers. This has been a consistent theme on the FB page. Since GD has a huge following and is the "it" RV, perhaps GD can use that as leverage to get the dealers to step up and take care of their customers. If they don't get with the program, then GD can opt-out and replace them with a dealer that has some integrity.
- Debra O, Washington

2020-04-23 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

Love our coach! Would have given five for quality but had some minor issues with trim falling off, bedroom door slide not holding door with a few other minor items. All covered at no charge. We absolutely love the open space and solid feel. Pulling it with a F350 DRW with no problems at all. I enjoy driving the setup. Looking forward to spending the winter months in the Solitude somewhere south.
- Eriks Mezsets, Michigan

2020-03-20 2015 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

I own a 379 FL. It is a very livable trailer. The service that is given is the worst of any product that I have ever owned. The design of the slides is awful. There is no way to prevent leaks around the slide bars. Worst purchase that I ever made.
- John, Louisiana

2020-01-29 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

Solitude 382 wb has huge design flaw. Will not heat coach if temperatures get below 40 degrees. Furnace will run 24/7. Coach temp will not hit 60 degree.no air flow to bathroom or bedroom. If going to stay in it not the right buy.one design that GD won't back up. Now embarrassing to say I own one.
- Lee Berninghaus, Kansas

2020-01-20 2018 Grand Design Solitude 384GK-R View Listings

I just want to say it’s a beautiful trailer, but if you are the top of the line I would hate to see the rest. I know that I can be a little picky but my father was a building contractor and he would have a fit on the finish detail on this trailer, we just bought it a week ago and it was barely used then and the trim is coming off and driving down the highway yesterday the storage compartment door would not stay shut, we shut it and locked it several times finally had to tape it shut. For the amount of money you want out of these trailers I feel you could do a way better job putting them together. We bought a new trailer so that we would not have to work on it all the time, I guess we wasted our money. We have had two Hitchhiker trailers so I know that it is possible to build them to last. Sorry but not impressed with this trailer.
- Gloria McKenzie, Idaho

2020-01-13 2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R View Listings

My wife and I had a very nice Forest River Blue Ridge for several years, but unfortunately, several minor inconveniences and shortcomings caused us to look for a replacement. A Grand Design Reflection was on our short list when we bought the Blue Ridge, and my wife was immediately drawn to the Solitude this time around. Our only real limitation was overall length due to the available parking area on our property, and the 310GK-R was ideal in that regard. We are completely satisfied with the Solitude's quality and design. We ordered the unit with a queen bed and did not desire a washer/dryer or dishwasher, as we are not full-timers. Therefore, we have an abundance of storage in the living areas, especially with the addition of some strategically-placed shelving in the bedroom closet area. We had no need for the outside pull-out kitchen or generator, so there is space underneath for everything we typically carry. Over the 14-or-so months since delivery, we experienced only two problems of note. The first was a defective temperature control on our Furrion oven, where the selected temp would not match either the displayed temp or the actual interior temp. GD replaced the oven. Second, a compressor controller in the living area air conditioner failed. This was easily resolved via the Coleman AC warranty. The Solitude is equipped with desirable features we never had before, like a built-in vacuum cleaner system, a second awning on the living-side slide-out, a retractable TV in the living area, very comfortable reclining/heated/massaging/lighted theatre seating, a full-size pantry and one-key access to all exterior door locks. The interior cabinetry is very attactive, and the lighting is intelligently placed throughout. Perhaps the major selling feature for my wife is the abundance of windows, which gives the camper a very roomy open, airy feel. At this point we are extremely pleased with our Solitude and we expect it will serve us well for years to come.
- Gary Hattier, Louisiana

2019-12-12 2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R View Listings

We purchased this model based on reviews for Grand Design’s warranty and customer service. The floor plan is perfect for our purpose (full time living.) When we took ownership our first stay in the unit we found there was no heat in the bedroom and rear bathroom. We returned back to the dealer and Grand Design would not authorize the repairs the dealer recommended. Grand Design expects the dealer to re-configure the ducting, which I feel is a design flaw. The day we were scheduled to return to the dealer the center street side leveling jack had a major malfunction. I spent 3 plus hours on the phone with my dealers service manager and got my rig road worthy to get it to them. We also had a handful of expected minor repairs. Now we are having to stay in a Hotel until the rig is repaired.
- Richard Smith , California

2019-11-26 2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK View Listings

We love our Solitude. The floor plan is spacious. The drivability is awesome, very easy to maneuver. It could very well be lived in full time. It is very well made and the envy of the campground. Lots of storage. Bedroom is very spacious. Sofa folds out to a queen bed. My favorite part is the island in the kitchen, lots of counter space. Lots of interior lighting.
- Myra Moxley, Florida

2019-11-26 2017 Grand Design Solitude 300GK View Listings

Our first year of owning ours, it sat at the dealer getting repairs. We took it in for a few repairs that were needed, found during walk thru. When we picked up the rig from the walk thru repairs it had extensive internal damage; countertops had deep scratches covering the entire island, the tabletop and dinette chairs had deep cuts from what appeared to be from a circular saw, our fridge had a large dent and scratch, our bathroom lighting was controlled from the living room switch. It appeared that they used the island and table top as a work bench. They had to replace the entire dinette set, sand and buff the countertops, and replaced the left door on the fridge. After getting the unit back "months" later, we pulled into a campground and set up, we were there approximately an hour and our entire water tank had drained (partially in campground and the other part under our storage compartments). Needless to say we ended up driving it back down to the dealer cutting our trip short. After spending another month or two in the shop, we went on another trip... more leaking, fridge didn't work, our crown molding on the kitchen side of the unit, and kitchen shades fell. We received no sympathy from the manufacturer and the dealer had the worst customer service ever. We stopped taking it back and started paying out of pocket for all of what should have been warranty work. Now that everything has been repaired the right way by a local rv repair shop, we are very happy. It was a huge investment for us, and what should have been a very exciting purchase, ended up being a very bad experience.
- Kathleen , California