Grand Design Reviews on RV Insider (476)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2020-09-18 2019 Grand Design Solitude 375RES View Listings

We love the layout of this RV, it's easy to maintain and gorgeous to see coming down the road. Keeping the outside clean is the key to it's beauty and like anything else, you take care of it and do the yearly maintenance on it, the rig will not fail you. We get compliments on it all the time and it is affordable.
- Dawn, Florida

2020-09-15 2020 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK View Listings

We bought our Imagine new from the dealer 7/2019. We used it 3 times before we winterized it. In late February we took it to the dealer for some small repairs that it needed before we started using it in the spring. All the items we pointed out were fixed however we were told the slide was out of adjustment and should be worked on. I assumed the factory warranty would cover this...nope, it only has a 90 day warranty on the slide?! Yep that’s right, 33K RV and we paid a $300 repair bill 8 months later. I’m sure industry wide the warranties are similar but that doesn’t make it ok.
- Jason H, Washington

2020-09-15 2019 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS View Listings

Grand Design did a fantastic job with this RV, extremely livable with all the comforts of home. Reliable platform and equipped with quality appointments make this unit a pleasure to own. We have made great memories in our 311BHS.
- Benjamin Longobardi, Massachusetts

2020-09-12 2016 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

We have had this rv for over 3 years and couldn't be happier with our choice. The large bathroom(accessible with slide closed),bedroom with real separation door, large basement,I could go on,make it the perfect couples camper for us. Easy to tow with a half ton, small enough to be nimble in smaller state parks yet ample room inside. The customer service at GD has been second to none. We have been tt weekenders for over 20 years and did copious research before we changed over to this one. All rv's, no matter the brand and cost, will have issues and the way the company stands behind them is the true value in which GD gets very high Marks from us. We have made several modifications to suit our needs, inverter system, additional electrical, cut out more storage,etc. Looking forward to many more years of long weekends and long weeks away in our GeeDee.
- Kimble and Marcy Webb, Maryland

2020-09-12 2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE View Listings

Our 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS, floor plan 21BHE was purchased as a semi-permanently installed hunting camper on property we own, with the possibility of a rare family trip. We chose the Grand Design largely due to their reputation for quality. They have not disappointed in that respect, as we’ve had zero issues since taking delivery. The trailer is towed with a 2018 Ford Raptor SuperCrew. Even without weight distribution the trailer is essentially transparent, with no problematic sway or braking issues etc. Pro backup assist is magic and worth every penny, regardless of how well you can back up a trailer. Let me tell you... the old-timers never forget to remind you when they see you using it. easier and safer is easier and safer, regardless of anyone’s weird attachment of masculinity to the simple act of parking a vehicle... it’s not hard and doing it manually isn’t a skill worth bragging about lol. So odd... anyway, back on topic... Initial build quality is, well... still an RV. That said, you can tell the people who assembled it took the time to line things up and what not, which is more than can be said for the majority of camper trailers that we looked at. At the end of the day these things have to be light and that means thin walls, lightweight components and a general lack of the heft and feel of quality that you associate with residential ‘stuff’. With this as a baseline, the build quality of the Grand Design is as good as anything else we could find, short of maybe an Airstream @ 4x the price. Our dealer was LaMesa RV and I can’t recommend them any higher. Their price beat anything we could find on the Internet (let alone locally... which was nothing at all) by a considerable margin. They also do a great job with PDI... it was clear when we showed up that they’d actually tested everything more than once and encouraged us to spend all the time we needed doing the same. Wherever you buy, make sure they focus on this, as I’m fairly certain it’s a big part of why we’ve had no issues since driving off the lot. All in all, I’d strongly recommend both LaMesa and Grand Design.
- James Martin, Florida

2020-09-07 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH View Listings

WRONG AXLE INSTALLED. Our 2019 Imagine 2800BH (purchased new March 2019) was an upgrade from a 2016 RPod that we had enjoyed over the years, but had outgrown as our two kids have grown older. I spent about a year researching and driving in and out of state to different RV shows and dealers looking for our next camper (one that I hoped to keep for many years even after kids went to college). I became very interested in Grand Designs Transcend, but overall the Imagine checked off almost ALL of my wish list (large bunks, large bath, lots of storage both inside and underneath, an outside kitchen, outside water access, automatic awning, queen bed, great layout, kitchen and fixture quality, very stylish, less than 32 feet, good materials, and the other options offered). They seemed to have good reviews and all of the dealers had good comments about the quality and manufacturer (not as established though). We had taken on several shorter camping trips around NV and it was wonderful - spacious, comfortable, road smoothly. Fast forward to June 2020 and the company my husband worked for closed their doors due to Covid. We decided it was our opportunity to move back home to GA, which we did. Although we have family in GA that we could stay with if necessary, we felt blessed that we had our Imagine. It meant we could stay in campgrounds driving the 2100 miles necessary to get there and until we could find a rental home or home to purchase - we had camping as an option until then! Our first cross-country trip consisted of my husband driving his F-150 hauling the camper and my 11 year old daughter and I following in my car. During the 1st day of our drive, I mentioned to my husband that I noticed the rear tires of the Imagine seemed to be leaning in at a slight angle at the top and asked if that was normal. Since we’ve never driven behind the camper (we were always in tow vehicle) I found it strange. He told me that the axles are normally bowed and the weight usually straightens the tire out, so it could just be that. Since we were making a 4 day trip across country, before we left we installed a backup camera, 2nd a/c unit and tire pressure/heat sensors on all of the tires, had the tires and breaks checked. Ironically (wait until the end) we had blown a tire on an earlier trip that was the right rear. Back to the long drive...late the second day, just outside of Oklahoma City, I noticed a wisp of something(smoke?) coming from that same right rear tire that had been replaced. Being paranoid - I got on the radio to my husband to tell him to pull over so we could check it out. Of course we were on an interstate and had to get across a bridge before he could stop (not far though). The inside of the right rear tire was so hot it glowed and was smoking...one good part of the camper design was having the fire extinguisher just inside the door nearby. We got to it just before the heat damaged the underbelly and surrounding area. I thought it was going to catch on fire. There is no doubt it would have had I not been behind him. The heat sensors were on the tire - not the middle. Anyway, we were about 5 miles to exit...ended up calling GoodSams at 7pm to help find towing (Good Sams was great by the way). Looong story short, Grand Design put the wrong axle on the rear. It turned out that it had the correct part number but was the wrong axle. So much for QUALITY CONTROL. Don’t blame axle manufacturer but Grand Design. The axle was straight instead of curved and GD put it all together. Remember the curved part...when you have normal weight on the axle it straightens, but if you have the wrong axle (straight axle as in our case) the weight causes the axle to bend...that explains why it appeared the top of the rear tires were angled in!l - they were!!! The repair place was good - they were able to fit us in and allowed us to leave it there while we had to continue our trip ($$$ wasn’t cheap!). The jacks and rear bumper was bent as well as rear stairs when we had to have it towed. $$$ Due to time constraints we had to leave truck and camper and continued to GA in my car so we could make our plane in 3 days to fly back to NV to pack and drive a Uhaul (ended up being 2), our boat and then, because GD our wrong axle we had to stop and get truck and camper when we got to OK City. By the way, we ended up having to fly ($$$) a friend out so he could drive the Uhaul and my husband could drive truck and camper (I can’t drive it) and I ended up driving 2nd Uhaul anyway. We had to leave a car that I had to fly back out again to drive back. None of which works have been necessary had Grand Design had quality control that would have found a wrong axle. My husband did call and speak with a few ppl at Grand Design both during and after. Don’t expect any help there. I do LOVE the camper even after all of this, but I am always scared to take it anywhere for fear of a fire or something else happening.
- Catherine Butler, Nevada

2020-09-07 2015 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 328M View Listings

Have owned the unit since new and been extremely impressed with the build quality that Grand Design put into the toy hauler along with how livable the space is and how easy it is to tow. Would definitely recommend for this to anyone looking for a high quality towable (toy hauler or not).
- Chad Brumit, Texas

2020-09-06 2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

Bought 303 Rls at Hayes Rv in Longview Tx. I have taken Rv in twice for satellite hookup not working and water lines crossed. Nothing was fixed correctly. Fire place quit, plug bad . Mice get in easily, cannot find why ? Dual sofa headrest vinyl has gone bad. Hope I can get rid of and buy something else like Jayco!!!
- Carroll Kelton , Texas

2020-09-03 2018 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH View Listings

Buyer beware!!! We've had the trailer for a little over two years. We have taken it on 15 to 20 trips. We were recently preparing the trailer for a trip and while filling the water tank in the driveway, it dropped to the ground. There were 5 people who witnessed this! We were relieved this didn't happen while driving on the freeway at 75 mph, as this could have been catastrophic. We contacted Grand Design, and they filed a case; however, refused to cover the damages which were over $1000. Our dealer, General RV, told us they sent photos and contacted them twice and they still refused to cover it. When you spend $40,000 on a trailer, you expect it to not fall apart after 2 plus years. To us, this is clearly a manufacturer design flaw and should have been covered by Grand Design. Our next step is to contact every dept of road safety in the country to make them aware and hopefully a recall will happen to prevent this potential design flaw from severely affecting others. We are going to contact the local news to see if they will pursue this further. Again, this could have been a major catastrophe, even ending in death.
- Dan Price, Utah

2020-09-02 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES-R View Listings

Love this fifth wheel. Quality and build is so much better than Some Of our friends RVs and our previous RV. Storage underneath is like crazy wow and more countertop space than others. We’ve lived in ours full time for two years with very few issues. Bouncy houses will have things go wrong but very impressed with customer service and response times.
- S Reecer, Texas

2020-09-02 2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 290BH View Listings

This unit was great for our family. The floor plan has a surprising amount of space and storage for a short, 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel. My son loved his bunks and the separate rear bunkhouse made it easy to put him to sleep while still enjoying the rest of the unit. I tow with a 3500 diesel which is much larger than you need for this unit, but it still towed great, very stable. My family has had a Jayco and a Grand Design 5th wheel and we definitely liked the Grand Design floorplans better than the Jayco's, plus they don't run the toilet drain through your pass through compartment. Overall, we were very happy with this unit but we are looking to get something a little bigger for our family.
- Dennis, Washington

2020-08-31 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

This was our first camper and we absolutely loved it perfect for two people, getting cramped with two dogs crates though. Loved so much about this camper. The floor plan was fantastic! Highly recommend for empty nesters looking to downsize.
- Amy, Virginia

2020-08-29 2020 Grand Design Solitude 382WB View Listings

just picked the unit 3 weeks ago. I have towed it 600 miles with no problems. GD have upgraded the axles and the braking system worked well. The interior is immaculate, with no defects. I have one bathroom faucet thats needs a new fixture or cleaned out, debris appears to be in a connector. The fridge, stove and convection works fine. All of the slides function perfectly, the exterior is a high gloss painted surface with no defects. It rivals DRG in finish. The unit tows well and weighs 16k. My previous unit was a Fuzion 322 touring edition. It far surpasses the build quality of a keystone.
- Robert Mullan, New Mexico

2020-08-25 2020 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS View Listings

Love the design Cannot resolve refrigerator issues Live here full time Dealer has no answers after 3 weeks! Buying ice getting old My unit was < 90 days old If there is no resolution soon, may drive to Lee family trailers and leave it...
- Ellen MacCallum , Maine

2020-08-22 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH View Listings

Pretty disappointed! We chose Grand Design because we were impressed with their sales pitch of multiple inspection process controlling defects with the brand. Also for how well thought out the designs were. That just didn't turn out to be the case. We've had a lot of problems with this trailer. Some caused an extremely dangerous situations towing. First the Axel warped causing the rear wheels to camber. The tires not being designed to ride on the inner edge by the sidewall nearly wore completely through before we realized and the axel was nearly bowing down to the road. When they replaced the axel, the manufacturer sent an axel which had obviously been stored outside for some time. That axel cause a short which caused the frame to carry a current. The breaks would lock and release causing bucking every time we went to stop. We were told by a multitude of technicians, from every service repair shop we went that the problem must have been coming from our break controller. We lost the use of our trailer for the bulk of our first summer, all the time worrying that no one would find the problem and simply blame our controller. We switched it out twice, once with a new one and again with our friends we borrowed just to prove that it wasn't the controller. I felt the burden was on us to identify the problem or we would continually be told it wasn't the trailer. We had several leaks all caused by poor assembly. We are currently trying to find out why we had a pool of water under our bathroom sink. Still haven't found the cause of this one time massive leak which sent a cascade of water pouring out the undercarriage. In the process of looking for that leak, I discovered another unrelated small leak coming inside behind a panel from the exterior fitting. Something you would never normally find, but the kind of slow drip which rots out your sub flooring. Now lets talk about the construction of the interior. Our Dinette bench was completely falling apart after a small amount of use. We had to rebuild the frame work so that it didn't collapse or break apart. Some of the cabinetry is extremely flimsy and poorly thought out. We have a cabinet under the fridge which is a good size and should be able to hold a lot. But the bottom of the cabinet is completely unsupported only held up by staples. There's a drawer under it which now doesn't open and close right because the cabinet bottom bowed into the drawer. Poor Design... The cushions on the dinette are cheap and uncomfortable. One of the windows in the rear bunk doesn't shut completely. The dinette was promoted as U shaped which in reality is completely laughable. You could never even seat a small child along the back, so why make believe it's actually a U shape for seating someone. The "U" also removes to become an ottoman. Again laughable. That was obviously never tested. The ottoman is a simple box, not well framed out, with no hand holds so it's really hard to grab or move. It's completely useless. The cushions are all poorly attached with Velcro which doesn't hold them in place. Every time we stop while traveling, lots of cushions are sitting on the floor. I've had to fix that too. Lots of the components they use are cheap and will fail over time. So much for quality! I shudder to think what else is wrong that we just don't know about yet. Sorry I ever bought it. Don't waste your money on one!
- Diane Higgins, New York

2020-08-22 2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

We LOVE this RV! Have had a couple of issues but they were quickly resolved by Dealer and Grand Design! We bought this new because of the openness of the floor plan and overall design. I pull with a RAM 2500 and have had ZERO problems, pulls like a dream! The included fireplace is a huge plus and heats the entire coach even on regular power.
- Jim , California

2020-08-21 2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 328M View Listings

I bought this thinking it was a good toy hauler.Four years later I am putting over $3000 in upgrades to worn out and broken springs, three blown tires. Now I find out I can’t even put heavier tires on these rims. Warranty and corporate office response was it meets specs, but yet they no longer put lippert axles on them. They claim gross weight on this is 16500. The spring shop that’s been in business for years said it had 3400lb springs. The camper is maxed out at all the time with my Harley in the back and a half tank of water. And you should know if you are putting a golf cart in there you can add another 300 lb in weight. There answer was always it meets specs. Very dissatisfied with the suspension, if your looking for a toy hauler think twice about this one or any other that doesn’t at least have G rated tires. I also do all my mechanic work so that has saved me a tun of money remember Rv shops have around a $180 an hour shop rate.
- Keith Richenberg, North Carolina

2020-08-20 2021 Grand Design Reflection 29RS View Listings

Adam iznnucc, this guy is unbelievable, went out of way several times to please us. Ran Into a few problems and he personally took control to correct them. Awesome customer service from the entire service dept
- Tony i, Connecticut

2020-08-19 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

We have had our 2019 GD Imagine 2150rb now for 1yr here is what we have experienced so far - Leaking from stove hood, when removed found that it was not set in correctly from factory resulting in gap, then was sealed incorrectly causing water to come in. - Leaking from bathroom sink because they used pex hose connectors to connect pex to rubber hose which is not the correct way to connect the two - Leaking from water heater because of rubber hose connection to pex hose was not correct clamp - Leaking from side window because sealant was not properly applied - Leaking from kitchen sink because p-trap collar was broken - Mirror broke on closet door because it was improperly inlaid into channel from factory - Sink was not properly sealed allowing for water to penetrate the counter. The counter then swelled and pushed sink down making it come undone. Could not fix because of water damage, had to flip sink to fix - Leak in bathroom, when I removed the panels for a closer look I cannot find the leak but was able to remove a shop vac full of water that had already leaked. Still inspecting for leak, no luck yet. - Multiple pieces of trim coming off - Shelving above bed is coming undone and sagging Throughout all of this grand designs has been somewhat helpful in a sense they will send out replacement parts and do offer to fix things under warranty however the issue is we live in this thing, we cannot simply drop it off at a dealer and wait weeks, at time months, for them to fix it. So for now I get to play handy man. The good news is that I have since started a business doing rv renovation and repair so that I can help others that don't have the ability to wait weeks or months at a dealer.
- Will, South Carolina

2020-08-18 2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 328M View Listings

We have been full-time for many years, the last 4+ have been with the Grand Design Momentum 328m Toyhauler. Our criteria when shopping is that kitchen, bath and bedroom can be accessed without having to extend slides but we want to take the Goldwing and now we have a side by side perfect for the garage. This Toyhauler and the manufacturer Grand Design has been excellent. Sure, there were a few bugs to work out (all of them have them) but being mechanically inclined and technical to talk with the Manufacturer to get through it, we've been extremely happy and Grand Design is the best at empowering the customer when things do come up. It's been a pleasure to enjoy our Grand Design for over 4 years since we bought it new. Roll on and Happy adventures.
- Brenda Jordan, South Dakota

2020-08-18 2020 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS View Listings

We purchased the 320 in May from a dealer in Pasco, WA. Price was right, follow up good and an issue we had was dealt with promptly. Problem: they are 300 miles away. The local dealer in Boise is of no use since they only do warranty work on units they sell. Had their price been in the ballpark, we would have. Not even close. We have had mostly QC issues and I have been able to fix most. Replaced 5 drawer latches. TV was crooked; 1 inch higher on left. Shower door frame leaked. Wall behind closet door pulled loose causing door to drag. All the staples came out. Pedestal on dining table wobbly, had to beef up screws. Heater stopped working (dealer replaced). Jacks on TV not properly connected. No signal getting through (dealer and I fixed). Peeves: this is our 4th fifth wheel, and the last two had hydraulic jacks all around including landing gear. Having to get down to pull pins to drop the gear and retract, a true pain. Lastly, the dump drains are divided into two separate connections. Black and gray on one, disconnect, and attach to kitchen tank. I have owned several RVs over the years and never saw this. Did not think it was a problem at first. It is! We love the layout and know none are perfect. You have a cabin on wheels subjected to constant earthquakes. It’s a wonder they last at all. But from the factory?
- Ken, Idaho

2020-08-17 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH View Listings

We have traveled to many VA state campground within about a 300 mile radius. Also we have camped several times in Coastal NC. We love this camper it is well designed and manufactured. We have owned several other brands this one by far has been no problem. Our reason for selling is we now have decided a small motorized unit will fit in our plans better.
- Mike, Virginia

2020-08-14 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

I like the camper for the most part, it has a lot of issues like several leaks. The jack stopped working. I have a leak under the sink in the bathroom.The fridge won't work on electric, the light over the couch has a short in it.The propane tanks are out of date. I've had it to the dealer for repairs and they had it a good two months and when I got it back they said that someone had broke into it, so they changed the locks and now they don't work very well. I'm trying to get it in the shop for more warranty work and they won't call me back. I'm not happy with my service or the quality of the camper. When I looked at it I was told it was the best in the business and when I bought the camper and signed the papers customer service stopped. I've had the camper for about 8 months and the cover on the tanks are already faded. The tanks are 6 years old, the camper was said to be prepped at the dealer, it was not. When I got home the cover to the waste pipe was gone and they said that I should have checked it before I left the dealership so they weren't responsible for that. I have a lot of issues with this camper and can't seem to get any help with it.
- Tommy Barnes, Kentucky

2020-08-11 2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS View Listings

Note: we did not have a factory warranty but I had to fill in the ratings so I picked the middle one. I only purchased my first fifth wheel new so we could see if we liked the camping experience without having to factor in any issues from having a used one. Since then we've owned three more. I'm more than happy to let somebody else get all of the factory issues ironed out and suck down that first couple of years depreciation. We purchased this GD Reflection from a couple that had used it four times, then parked it after his eye surgery. He finally decided he didn't want to pull a trailer anymore so he put it on CraigsList and a greatly reduced price. We snapped it up. The only issue we had was that the grease seals during this manufacturing had turned out faulty on some units and they leaked. I pulled all of the wheels, installed new seals and cleaned and repacked the bearings. Only one was starting to get wet inside the brake hub but better safe than to find out later on I should have replaced them. This unit is much better quality than our (then) top of the line Forest River Cardinals (we had two of them).
- Robert, Washington