Grand Design Reviews on RV Insider (511)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2020-11-26 2015 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

It has been a great RV. We have lived in it for almost a year while house was remodeled. Very comfortable. We are in our late 60s and are downsizing 10’ to a Reflection. The RV is 5 years old but we kept up with the maintenance. It’s easy to tow have used both a F250 short bed with auto slide and a F350 full bed without difficulty. Great trailer at a great price
- Ron Ostmann, Texas

2020-11-26 2016 Grand Design Solitude ST375RE View Listings

My wife and I looked for a floor plan that would be live able, as we decided to full time rv. Having 5 slides offers plenty of living space. The built in fire place added ambiance and warmth. Having the refrigerator being a side by side with electric or propane made it easy to off grid camping. The fresh water capacity was just what we needed. Air conditioning was more than adequate for our liking. The residential toilet and the glass bowl sink added to the overall size of the bathroom. The pantry with shelving located right next to the stove made preparing meals easy. The natural light from the abundant windows and the sliding glass rear side entry door added even more light. The master bedroom closet had enough room for most of our clothing and such, plus the all in one washer dryer installed in the master closet. This 5th wheel was larger than our first apartment. Tows very easy and maint. is very minor, normal cleaning and upkeep were all that was needed. Great build and great brand.
- Glen Cisneros, Texas

2020-11-25 2020 Grand Design Momentum G Class 28G View Listings

Sold our 07 Fleetwood Redline toy hauler, decided time for an upgrade, we never had one issue in 13 years we owned the Redline, thought I did my homework= Grand Design had good reviews for toy haulers, we unfortunately got a lemon, floor buckled, rear awning never worked, and a bunch of little things- tried working with our dealer to get this stuff figured out- all I seen was a bunch of young unexperienced employees climbing all over my RV without a clue how to work on them? problem with our local dealer- somewhere= (NEAR BREMERTON WASHINGTON) you are a rock star when you buying and a piece of garbage when your done signing papers, forced to go above their heads- absolutely had to go to Grand Design to explain the issues= also had to take it to another reputable family RV dealership to get proof of major Issues, good thing is Grand Design has great customer support and I was able to get a brand new Unit built, bad thing is they shipped it to the same dealership that told me I would never get a new RV and now they are holding my RV Hostage, this is just incredible nightmare= we feel like we are being extorted to horrible service, I now have to find out how to get this RV out of their yard, this has been like a 10 month nightmare= all we wanted to do was pay good money to have a decent RV to go camping in- living in the RV Dealership for non stop repair is not a good feeling, I am very proud of Grand Design for stepping up to the plate and getting us a new RV, the problem is they need their representatives= IE Dealerships to share the importance of lifetime customers, I actually told the dealership this was in no way their problem- they didnt build the RV- But near as I can figure they just worried that I had to go over their heads to get what I paid for, whatever happened to customer service? after dealing with our dealership= We are not sure there is enough time in life to deal with the stress and poor service, cheaper to stay in a Motels or rent RV, If there ever is a next time- we are buying straight from a factory like Grand Design and getting work done only at our own family RV dealership, I am never dealing with a big understaffed bad attitude RV dealership again!!!
- Cory Swanson, Washington

2020-11-23 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS View Listings

This 5th wheel has been towed 3 times and has the brakes fixed 3 times. Customer service is the worst, didn't save our records. Craftsmanship is nonexistent in this 5th wheel. Tip-out stopped working and of course, extended insurance won't cover anything. If we had the money to just throw it away, we would. Large tear under the couch back, looks like a worker had a knife when it was installed. Customer service actually said we must have done it, no way could we have gotten under there with a knife. Under the bar edge is black marker all over. We are almost 70 years old and this is by far the worst purchase of our lives. Do not purchase unless you want the biggest headache of your life,😟😟 really to bad I can't give this a minus 10 rating!!
- Roma Cassel, Idaho

2020-11-19 2019 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS View Listings

This is a luxury vehicle. Covid made us live in it for 7 months. Very easy to live in. There was plenty of storage for our belongings. In fact a few drawers remained empty. The layout was planned very well. Loved the retractable awnings. Didn't have to go out to manually retract when the weather got really rainy or windy. Would definitely recommend this vehicle for the quality and comfort.
- Elaine Sturbaum, Ohio

2020-11-16 2021 Grand Design Reflection 240RL View Listings

Love the design, hate the workmanship. One trip 1300 miles 4 screws fell out, insulation around the hitch coming out, leaks around the slide,put on second AC unit instead of putting on low profile they put on a full sized one it looks terrible.The table mount pulled out of the floor,all 6 screws pulled out.im taking it back .sad I was hoping this would be the last one ,lm retireing in a year I need to go on looking
- Ed, Nebraska

2020-11-15 2020 Grand Design Momentum G Class 29G View Listings

Tow is a 2011 F250 6.2 liter gas. Extended cab with 8' bed. 12,200 lb tow capacity with Class IV hitch. Wanted a toy hauler, but one with a separate garage. Not many available in my weight rating. Grand Design's new G29 towable fit the bill. Reputable
- Ronald Iocono, Delaware

2020-11-11 2016 Grand Design Solitude ST375RE View Listings

The vehicle tows like a dream. Upkeep of interior and exterior are extremely easy. Slide out operation is a simple push of a button. The leveling system has proven to be spot on. Finish of furniture and flooring is perfect. Color scheme is lighter than most. Livability has proven to be very comfortable and roomy.
- Glen, Texas

2020-11-11 2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS View Listings

We liked the floor plan and look of the 5th wheel, took about two years to decide on manufacturer and model, bought in February of 2020 before the pandemic. After first few outings noticed a bad scrape in the kitchen floor, found a screw had been left under the slide with our kitchen table during manufacturing, after the third or fourth trip the lights in the bedroom slide and underneath quit working. Figured we just wait until end of season to get fixed under warranty. At the end of the season, I decided I should just fix it myself. Upon investigating the situation, the wiring for the lighting circuits in the slide are terminated and pinned to the floor under the base of the slide. From the factory or shortly thereafter two of the 3 casters that keep the slide base raised off the floor had screws stripped out, so the slide base was dragging on the carpet and ripped the wire connectors off the controlled the slide lights. I called Grand Design, twice, leaving my name and phone number with a description of the problem and a request for diagrams. That was about a month ago, haven’t heard back from anyone. So it was probably smart for me to have just fixed it myself, added theavier support casters to the middle sides of the base to take the pressure off the 3 original casters and relocated the original 3 slightly over to get into good wood on the base, didn’t strip a single screw. Original design of caster mounting seems problematic. Two lighting 12vdc circuits were simple, constant feed for inside overhead lights with individual shut off switches on lights for one circuit, other for outside lights of slide bottom fed through light switch mounted in understorage control panel by pump switch. Also used heavy plastic bracket on top of new bell connectors and screwed to floor to limit potential for tearing off should new caster design fail. Conclusion, not particularly impressed.
- Gary Knoble, Nebraska

2020-11-09 2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 31RLS View Listings

the best of the best. Movie star trailer. looooove it. You will never see one better. 5 star 100 first class. 10 out of 10. nice nice nice nice nice. 100% rocks. U can not go wrong with this trailer I pinky promise
- shanec, North Carolina

2020-11-07 2020 Grand Design Momentum 395M View Listings

We purchased this RV because we wanted opposing couches, along with a dinning table and large kitchen. This is the only toy hauler on the market we were able to find that fit all these criteria. We lived in this full-time for over 6 months and absolutely loved it. At first we weren't sure if the exterior storage space would be large enough, but we were able to bring along everything we needed (and more). The large water tanks combined with over 60 gallon capacity for fuel allowed us to boondock without hookups for multiple weeks without needing to fill up or dump. We used the garage area as a kids room/play room and it worked out excellent. The One Control center was great as well that we could control the RV from our phones. This allowed us to adjust the air at night, turn on exterior and interior lights, water pump, etc... from anywhere around the RV. If we could go back, we would get this exact RV again. No question!
- Matthew Osborn, Arizona

2020-11-04 2020 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 247BH View Listings

Our family bought this RV in January 2020 with the intention of traveling the US over the summer. The four of us (my husband, myself and 2 teenage boys), plus our two big dogs and one small dog, had plenty of room to move about and lots of storage. What was really nice was that under the bunkbeds is a large open area that we could store large items as well as keep our dog beds for our dogs to not be underfoot. Originally we wanted a slide, but this floorplan has a lot of space and not having a slide made it more lightweight, and it actually has more interior storage when a slide is not there. The really nice thing about not having a slide was that when we travelled, we could stop anywhere and use the trailer to rest, use the bathroom, or prepare meals and not have to worry about opening the slide. This was great for social isolation during the summer of Covid! We ended up spending about 2 months living in this RV, and we are pleased with how everything went. We pulled it up and down hills and maneuvered it easily with our half ton Chevy Silverado. Hitching the trailer to the truck was easy enough to do relatively quickly, and the trailer electric, water and sewer hookups were easy as well. There is a surprising amount of counter space and kitchen storage, but we found the refrigerator small and the freezer slow to freeze water. The beds were more comfortable with the addition of mattress pads. We liked that both bunk beds had a window that opens so each of our sons had a view, or could open the window for air. I personally found the dinette area to be uncomfortable but the other 3 members of my family liked it. I also thought the couch was not quite deep enough for total comfort. We liked the sound system, inside and out, but did not invest in a TV. Other people complained of leaks – we did have a couple leaky connections that we took apart and used plumbers tape and had no further issues. The rubber gaskets outside came out of their tracks when camping/travelling in Texas where the temperature was 105 or so. These we put back in place and they have not come out again now that the temperatures are below 100. Our worst issue is the basement locks are shoddy and difficult to lock and unlock. One really nice plus was how good the AC is. We camped in treeless, 100 degree plus areas, and while the AC ran constantly, the trailer stayed cooler than we had hoped. We have camped in snow as well, and we used one small space heater to heat the entire trailer. The trailer does have a furnace but our dogs lie across the vents so we really did not use the furnace. The sensor for the black water tank has never worked and we have not yet fixed that. The grey water and fresh water sensors seem to be fine. We are very pleased with this trailer and recommend it.
- Donna, Texas

2020-11-04 2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB View Listings

Grand design does not take care of there I have 3 walls coming apart on what they call top of the line rv. It is not people. It is complete garbage. Hopefully this and the other post which will be taking place today will hit millions of people who are looking at buying an rv. To list the issues I have had. Furnace, fridge, sewer lines breaking, water hoses leaking, tires needing replacement, nails scraped the bath door, main door coming open when we were driving. This is what you get for paying over a 100k and a $3500 cnd funds bill to fix what there factory didn’t do correct and they are leaving my family to pay. How sad is that.
- Keith senior, Alberta

2020-11-04 2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB View Listings

Grand design does not take care of there customers. Now that I know this and I have already signed up to 10 different rv pages please people share this post. This is 3 walls coming apart on what they call top of the line rv. It is not people. It is complete garbage. Hopefully this and the other post which will be taking place today will hit millions of people who are looking at buying an rv. To list the issues I have had. Furnace, fridge, sewer lines breaking, water hoses leaking, tires needing replacement, nails scraped the bath door, main door coming open when we were driving. This is what you get for paying over a 100k and a $3500 cnd funds bill to fix what there factory didn’t do correct and they are leaving my family to pay. How sad is that.
- Keith senior, Alberta

2020-11-03 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH View Listings

We bought new 2019 Grand Design Imagine about 1 year and half ago, have had several issues with it, first started with the kitchen mini blinds being mounted too high, you can see in the window when blind is closed. Then the outside kitchen water port quit working and then camping in cold weather the fan in the furnace came loose had to shut it off, Grand Design has a Artic pack sticker on it but the camper is poorly insulated, too many sky lights, looses heat quickly and next during a light rain noticed the awning leaks down the side of the camper. Camped during hot weather, inside temp would not get under 78% with ac running wide open, I see why the prewire it for two ac units because one is not enough, once again too many skylights, campers should not have skylights period. Next the gas lines that hook to the tanks starting leaking so had to replace them. Now the lights flicker whenever you use the water pump and next we blew out and did damage to the camper, found out from another website Grand Design uses Westlake tires from China and have read where several people have had issues with this brand just blowing up going up going down the road, this is my fault for not looking it over better before I made my purchase, the mattress was cheapest of the cheap had to replace and the recliner chairs only made for Small people, I am 5'11" and my feet hang off about a foot. Now one of the 4 skylights starting leaking. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong. Down a portion of my retirement to buy this and pay cash because I am handicapped and didn't want a payment, stuck with it now. My first hand advice to anyone wanting a camper that will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter Do not look at Grand Design Imagine bumper pull, unless you want to spend the money to add another air unit or add extra insulation. Note to Grand Design Engineers leave the skylights OUT of the campers, you loose too much heat in the winter and they heat the camper up in the summer, a thin peice of plastic to the outside world does Not do the job and usually one of the first places a roof will start to leak.
- David Johnson, Arkansas

2020-11-01 2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M View Listings

Our Grand Design Momentum 350 was a delight to own! We enjoyed the whole make-up of the toy hauler, and we were sad to see it leave. We certainly made great memories that will last a lifetime in our RV.
- Joe, Ohio

2020-10-29 2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

To whom it concerns. We purchased a Reflection 303 RLS In 2016. It is registered as a 2017. We have had numerous problems. First gas regulators (twice), then kitchen slide mechanism, a bad window needing replacement, drawer slides, water pump (twice), dump valve cables, the theater seats peeling, Fireplace replaced, had to have spring hangers rewelded and beefed up, wheel seals leaking, I haven't mentioned the end table shelf collapsing with nothing in it, two heat ducks not connected, the awning mounting brackets coming loose had to be refastened, couple electric outlets broke and now the worst. The roof leaks and the dining/living room slide is gouging the floor. This last part happened on our travels down to Texas from Custer State park in South Dakota. Apparently the roof membrane ballooned up and tore loose the caulking and now is loose and tore away from the front vent. The slide is digging into the vinyl flooring when it goes in and out. I contacted your customer service to be told so sorry but your out of warranty. The twelve year warranty on the roof dose not apply to installation. Totally useless warranty. Our trailer sits for about 10 months out of the year. I have taken great care of our trailer. Making sure everything is caulked or sealed, washing and waxing, repacking wheel bearings, replaced spring bushings, and added Sumosprings trailer helper springs because of unbalanced design from manufacturer. They only have capacity of 500 lbs at half compression. Helped with the tilt to the street side. From the factory 638 lbs heavier on street side empty. Replaced Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance and had them balanced. I travel cautiously, no faster then 60 mph, try to avoid sharp turns and twisting as much as possible. Have had trailer weighed several times to make sure of loading. Never over loaded. We are at our witts end. This has totally destroyed my wife's desire to travel and volunteer at federal, state and county parks. Giving back for all the years we have camped. Back in 2003 we purchased a Hornet fifth wheel new and not one single problem with that trailer. We used that trailer a lot including living in it while I built our cabin. That trailer sat maybe 3 months of the year. We had it for seven years. We purchased a Grand Design based on what was supposed to be quality. We were wrong. We could have saved a lot of money and bought something cheap. I couldn't have been any worse. This has been our home for four years. Now because of your poor quality we will have to spend a lot of our savings to get this repaired just so we can sell it and get something out of it and will be giving up our life style. When I asked to speak to a supervisor that went no place. Just voice mail. Art
- Art, Wisconsin

2020-10-28 2020 Grand Design Solitude 390GK-R View Listings

solitude. 390rk Plenty of counters spae was great but air conditioner went out the first day! The fridge never got cold until the outside temp went below 50. Our dealer northern hills Rv in white wood SD said originally it would be a couple weeks. Well that’s turned into months! After several very hostile phone conversations from me, they suggested I call grand design myself! What good is a warranty if they can’t get parts anyway? They had a tech come and verified the fridge is junk but... Now they need us to bring or Rv back to check the fridge just to file a warranty claim! We live in this Rv! Where will we sleep?!!! Blaming things on Covid. But we bought this in august. Covid was old news. They deceived us. They knew how long it would be. But after they got our money they could care less! Don’t buy this Rv. Don’t buy any Rv with Norcold appliances should call it NO COLD! Very unhappy wish I had my $80,000. And they had this piece of sh#%!!!
- Patricia, South Dakota

2020-10-28 2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS View Listings

JUNK! A multitude of problems ranging from poor quality manufacture (black water tank put in uneven so you could never get the sewage out) and it had an increasingly a horrible smell. It is not a 4 season trailer, the water lines froze at just under freezing and ruptured, unfortunately no dealer or repair service can help for a month. Frame is to light to support length. Thermostat is installed right over the furnace so it will not operate properly because the wall it is on stays hot. Finish on cabinets is so thin it wears off immediately. Single pane windows on a 4 season RV? not hardley!
- Don Weber, Utah

2020-10-26 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS View Listings

I'm looking for a small RV just big enough for me and my husband just needs something comfortable for the both of us just to live in and be happy in to put in a RV park and live in and en joy my husband is 65yrs old and I am 42 I just need Something that he can enjoy with me and comfortable enough for him when he get older and I have to take care of him
- Kami Clay, Texas

2020-10-25 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB View Listings

I am the 2nd owner of this 2017 Imagine RB. The first owner camped 8 weekends a year. He was 6'5" with a Rottweiler; and sold because his family needed something larger. I camp 6 wks. a year at the beach; no problems; one person until the family piles in; and 2 dogs. Perfect for 2 people. I added a 12" luxury queen mattress; placed a twin mattress on dining area -- took out dining table; added a tall kitchen faucet/sprayer; added a better shower sprayer. There is not room for added people to sit --if that is important to you. When the family visits, we sit outside at the fire ring and picnic table, then the visitors retire to their tents to sleep. A couple of small kids could sleep and lounge on the twin bed insert; but other than that -- this camper is for 2 people only. I have had zero problems; and this camper has been used a lot in it's 4 year life span. Also foam has been sprayed underneath to prevent mice infestation; I run the air cond. all the time, then use a dehumidifer to get rid of other moisture; leave Irish Spring soap in cabinets because mice don't like it. I love everything about this camper; and in 4 years no issues. Yay.
- Deb Allen, North Carolina

2020-10-24 2021 Grand Design Momentum G-Class 21G View Listings

We purchased our 21G back in August. We've taken it on 5 local trips that total about 1000 miles. On the maiden voyage, screws and bolts were falling out of the Euro chairs. Two of the kitchen cabinet drawers were not in their tracks. The pocket door to the bathroom is warped resulting in rub marks. During the second trip, the microwave fell back out of its fitting. Third trip, we discovered water in the master bedroom and bathroom floor. Came to find out that the hoses behind the shower panel were not tight resulting in water leaking behind the panel and seeping thru beneath the shower basin. After fixing that issue ourselves, we checked the fittings under the bathroom and kitchen sinks and found they were also not tight. Thankfully my husband is mechanically inclined and was able to fix a lot of this ourselves. It is as if no quality checks were done before this thing got to us. You may be asking, why not just take it back to the dealer and have them fix all this under warranty. Here is the issue. We couldn't even get it in for service until a month after we called. When we took it in, it sat on the lot for 3 weeks. They fixed one item that was faulty when we initially bought it (fuel station pump handle leak). All the other issues we took it in for?? Nothing. They claimed they are waiting on authorization from Grand Design. It is now almost a month since we just went and took it back, issues still pending, and we still have no authorization. So the warranty is a bunch of BS. After our most recent trip, the clips that hold the glass panels in the back broke off. Luckily the glass panel itself didn’t break, but we now have that to add to the list. I will clarify that we aren’t doing any crazy off-roading with this thing. It seems even your standard local/highway travel is enough to bump everything loose. I will say that the floor plan and features are nice. It is small enough to easily tow, park, travel with, yet large enough to not feel like you are on top of one another. Overall, this has been a very frustrating experience. We didn't buy this item to not use it. What is the point of owning if you just have to take it back and have it sit there for weeks/months without any resolution? When I contact GD, I get a very canned response of what options I have, but in reality, the options are not good. You are at the mercy of service centers that are extremely backed up and waiting on GD to approve any work being done. We have opted to just have it done somewhere else (which is still 3 weeks out) and just pay out of pocket so we don’t have to be without our trailer. Hopefully we get reimbursed in our lifetime from GD, but I’m not holding my breath.
- Cheryl Petruso, Arizona

2020-10-20 2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

I purchased this fifth wheel new in Dec. 2017. My wife and I have camped in it for a total of 290 nights, and have towed it 33000 miles in our nearly three years of ownership. We really love it for extended camping, and have spent a maximum of two months in it on a single trip. Our unit has the 12 cubic ft Dometic refrigerator and two A/C units. We only had two issues the first year of ownership - one was the kitchen slide tearing our floor (fixed by the dealer after getting Grand Design involved), and the other was failed heaters in the recliners (both recliners replaced under warranty by dealer). Recently, we had a microwave failure and a propane regulator leak, and I fixed both of these issues myself. With such heavy usage, I'm impressed that the unit is holding up pretty well. Of course, we have had a few very minor issues with wooden trim pieces or drawer catches loosening, but this is to be expected with all the miles we have put on the trailer. All in all, we are quite happy with the build quality and we love the luxury features such as the auto leveling system.
- Charles Robertson, Texas

2020-10-17 2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS View Listings

Good unit. Sky light in roof is not a good structural design in roof trusses. Creates a weak point and roof sags. Called dealership in Sudbury and they agreed to get it fixed. The company “Grand Design” did not stand behind their boasting 3 year structural design and Polar 4 season. They told us to call our insurance.
- Ken Tellier, Ontario