Grand Design Reviews on RV Insider (422)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

CJ from Montana says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Grand Design Solitude 379FL View Listings

To start, the Sa lesmen talked it up of course. It does look nice, pulls well, and is livable. The issues I've had make me realize that the manufacturer doesn't build it to handle the road. All four leaf springs had to be replaced, one broke in half on the road, 2 others bent. This was from normal interstate, and campground driving. The other issues are light fixtures loose and ready to fall off, fenders loose, screws backing out, roof sealant cracked, gapped and ready to leak, wall in the rear storage compartment separating, bedroom slide stopped working directly after the shop had it all day, shaded don't go up, window cranks strip out etc.. The biggest issue is the dealership's service. I learned that I had to watch the mechanics while they worked on it or go around after they were "done" and inspect to make sure it was fixed correctly. After calling them out on faulty repairs, going back 7 times, some for the same issue, dealer told me they won't work on it anymore and I need to find another service shop. Wow, is all I can say. What about warranty, and forever warranty they brag about? Basically every time I left the shop there was another issue to go back for.. They did however fix some issues correctly, but all in all I am less then impressed. We'll see if the manufacturer helps me out.. Save yourself tons of headaches and time.
- CJ, Montana

2020-07-05 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH View Listings

The RV designers planned a floor plan to meet the needs of a family or couple who enjoy traveling, and the outdoors with the comforts of home. The sturdy structure made towing smooth and safe. Definitely recommend this make and model.
- Cynthia Wise Galvan, Texas

2020-07-03 2020 Grand Design Momentum 397TH View Listings

I'm also disappointed with my new grand design. the front underbelly fell off at 100 miles from the dealer, when I went to repair it found wires pinched against the frame. Hapijack beds are missing the support legs everyone was bragging about being able to get parts from grand design 3 months no legs, still can't use the beds. Onecontrol touch screen quit working but it was replaced within a week from lipert, they seem to really care about customer service. We've had the roof trim fall off in the living room and ceiling came down,seems they missed the rafter with the staples. Main slide rubbed the trim by the fireplace on the way home from the dealer and now they say wood will have to be trimmed off because can't adjust the slide enough, this also put a hole in the carpet. Rear bathroom blacktank flush was leaking fittings not tightened. The valance fell off window by dinette and this was stripped out screws and three screws less then the other side. The main bathroom shower leaked bad they caulked the weep holes shut and caulked the wrong side of the track. The microwave turn table jerks as it turns I have not looked into this yet.I did have the propane door keep opening on the way home also the latches were installed wrong even though it was easy fix. Main cargo door fills with water when it rains this will just need caulked but you would think a new door should be sealed. Seems like a lot of stuff going wrong to me for only three months old and used three times.
- marko.bakich, Montana

2020-07-02 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH View Listings

Took the vehicle in for 1 year warranty review and repairs to Windish RV Center. Not a single thing was repaired other than the order of a $8.95 LED Light. The microwave worked twice and has never worked again. Dometic refrigerator worked 5 times and now nothing. No power, no refrigerant, nothing. Guess if you are looking for a camper shell that you can add your own components to, this is a great insulated product. Be sure to tell them to strip it before you buy it because the crap they add is not worth the expense. Never again, James
- James Paterson, Colorado

2020-06-25 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

Well built, comfortable & attractive. Very easy to tow, quick to set-up and pack-up. Systems are all very straight forward. Lives more like a small condo then a trailer. The back bathroom & shower are huge. Couldn't ask for a better trailer. It was difficult getting some small warranty work done while out on the road (that seems to be a problem with all RV's) I Highly Recommend Grand Design!!!
- Richard, Washington

2020-06-25 2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

We have full timed in this unit for the past 3years and have totally enjoyed it. This RV is like new inside and out. 2nd air conditioning installed in the bedroom. Gas stove, electric and gas water heater, electric awning, sleeps 4, electric fireplace / heater Must sell due to health issues
- Bob Grunstra, North Carolina

2020-06-15 2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 230RL View Listings

Tows like a dream - so easy to back into a parking space because of its 28 foot length - large spacious shower with a skylight - surprisingly spacious livability for its 28 foot length - many RV parks limit total RV length - this is the perfect RV for that reason
- Norman Strecker , California

2020-06-15 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH View Listings

I have this trailer for 2 years I had to replace both of the axles last year because they were bend, factory send them to me by warranty, but I had to pay for instalation. This year on my second trip on of brake drum just blow and I had to remove all brakes from one wheel to continue my trip. I had less than 300 mile on new axles. The quality on this trailer is very poor. I had to rebuild my dinet seat, reattach lot of trim pieces, both entre door was replaced by warranty, those just a major problem. It's nice layout but very bad engineered and build.
- Igor, Colorado

2020-06-14 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB View Listings

I bought my rv new in 2019. This was my first rv purchase so I expected some issues as i'd heard you can expect some minor problems. This RV has been a nightmare for me and my wife. Every time we plan a trip it is something new. Yesterday, as we planned our first trip of the summer, the refer didn't work. After having an independent contractor come to our home, we were told it was the "eyebrow board" or the "control board" that was defective. This is after the hot water heater and a leak in the bathroom on previous occasions occurred. One thing after another. We cannot even book a trip without worrying whether this POS is even gonna work or not. We even dry and heat store our camper during the winter months. We recently had to cancel our trip because the refer would not work. The last straw. I do not mind paying the extra money for a "quality camper" that you can actually rely on. DO NOT BUY A GRAND DESIGN RV. I told my dealer I was dropping it off for repairs next week and would sell this POS ASAP. I believe you should get what you pay for. I payed $32000 for something my wife and I cannot even use. Total BS. At this point, I know I'm going to lose a ton of money but why keep this thing that you cannot use. Do not make the same mistake that I did. The Grand Design product is cheap and poorly thought out. It's been in the shop more than we've been able to use it. Also, they keep finding a way to charge us for "out of warranty" stuff. Bottom Line. POS. Don't consider this RV. I'm new to RV life so I cannot even tell you what is better but don't buy this product.
- Ernie Roberts, Oregon

2020-06-14 2016 Grand Design Reflection 30BH View Listings

I just bought my camper and have only had it for a month and the A/C needs replaced. It will not cool the living space. Major leak first day I had it. Personally I think the quality of Grand Design is horrible. I would not recommend and would not buy again.
- Connie Schumacher , Ohio

2020-06-13 2018 Grand Design Reflection 230RL View Listings

It’s a dream to tow - it’s a piece of cake to back up into a parking space - it’s so light weight I hardly noticed it was back there while towing it - it has an exceptional bathroom and a shower - it’s as big as the shower stall in my house
- Norman Strecker , California

2020-06-11 2016 Grand Design Solitude 384GK View Listings

We did extensive research before buying this RV. After researching we were impressed with the quality and features in Grand Design 5th wheels! After looking at all the Grand Design models we fell in love with the practical/functional floor plan of the Solitude 384GK. We really like the desk area and the 2 doors to the bathroom and how part of the bathroom is in the bedroom slide-out! We have loved this camper and it has performed exceptionally well! The only reason we are selling is that we'd like to take our ATV with us on a trip planned to Arizona next year so plan to buy a toy-hauler.
- johncwanner, Colorado

2020-06-10 2020 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS View Listings

Over build quality was a little disappointing. Under belly liner had a few rips in it and instead of replacing, foam was sprayed into the tears Water line to water pump was so tight that the installer just kinked the hose over with 90% bend. No water would flow thru. I repaired the hose issue with coupling. Something simple as doorjamb lock plate was 1 inch to high and dead bolt could not be engaged (I relocated to correct Position) Quality control should have caught these. GD support has been super in response and tracking issues and path to resolution. Dealer prep missing as well, all locks for storage doors and the lock cams were ready to fall off. Tongue Jack Pad fell of during transport. I will say this I owned (in the past) and for over two years rented travel campers as well as researched for over a year before choosing GD. For my price range I found that the Transcend Line used better materials than most others even when I looked at the other Brand models that were considered higher end models. Long run and reliability not sure yet. I just purchased in March of this year (2020) I did test systems often since I was stuck in my driveway and only recently made my first trip. Overall I am happy and feel DG reps are very open to suggestions and improvements.
- Phil Savarese, New Jersey

2020-06-08 2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

We were very happy with this coach but due to health issues we are no longer able to full time RV. Added a bedroom A/C unit it has a full 24” pantry closet to the left of the stove which now my wife loved. Power front leveling jacks, power rear stabilizing jacks, power awning, 40” led tv, DVD and disk stereo, fireplace with auxiliary heater. Many cabinets and storage.
- Bob Grunstra, North Carolina

2020-06-07 2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS View Listings

We bought the RV in September 2016 new. We like the floorplan and the auto leveling system. The problem we have encountered since the first 6 months of purchase is the furnace. It never worked and after many returns to the dealer for service we have given up. We were told the board gets wet and burns out. They said it must have gotten wet when we washed unit. Does not make sense since it gets wet when it rains. We just use an electric heater as needed. We use RV for weekend and couple weeks a year for camping. Now the leather recliners are peeling. It is a comfortable roomy unit but those issues are somewhat frustrating.
- Judy Carbone , Florida

2020-06-05 2019 Grand Design Momentum 399TH View Listings

We bought this fall of 2018, we have owned three or four different RVs. This one being our first toy hauler but we love the floor plan love the amenities, granddesign has been great to work with warranty wise too. Love this trailer and it’s a good thing because will probably keep it for a long time.
- Kendra Olson, Utah

2020-06-04 2020 Grand Design Transcend 27BHS View Listings

Our experience with this RV has been very good! It’s comfortable and plenty of room for extra people! The bunk beds are great so you don’t have to make the table into a bed and then put it back up the next day to use! Lots of drawer and cabinet space! Have the space under the beds is very convenient for storing larger items that you want to keep clean! The bathroom is roomy enough to shower and get dressed in with ease! The design is well thought out and cosmetics are very nice! Looks like a high end camper on the inside! We have looked at every travel trailer out there and for the money this is the best one you can buy!
- Jennifer, Texas

2020-05-28 2019 Grand Design Solitude 374TH-R View Listings

My unit is less than 18 months old. Auto level hydraulic system stopped working, microwave died, front TCL TV dies, outside awning covers fell off while in closed position, rubber flange covers fell off. I bought this RV a residential after retirement. When I asked about the failures, I was told it should b expected of I live in it full time. Excuse me? The name residential is in the model number. Residential means live in as in a home. There is no field support from Blue Dog or Grand Design. I am on my own. I don't have a 350, 3500 pickup to move this RV around. Judging from 18 months of ownership and the price I paid, I will never buy Grand Design or especially anything from Blue Dog. Lousy support. They offer excuses, not solutions.
- Gary Paul Reinke, Nevada

2020-05-26 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL View Listings

The 40’ RV is the perfect length to tow and for weeks on livability. This particular RV is very spacious and comfortable. The kitchen layout is perfect for the family to interact while cooking eating and watching a late movie. The outside shower unit allows you to clean up your kids or family pet before entering the RV. But one of the most important and best feature is the one touch self leveling of the Solitude RV by Grand Design.
- David Kellerman , Iowa

2020-05-22 2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH View Listings

We purchased this unit new from a dealership in Milwaukie, Or. We selected this unit because it has a nice floor plan for our family and my in-laws owned a Solitude that seemed to be of nice quality. I have owned several RV travel trailers and I am familiar with the ins and outs of them. From build to deliver to what should be a final inspection and then minor repairs and adjustments at time of purchase or preferably before purchase. This unit seemed as good or better than any of our previously purchased rvs. However, time will tell. Turns out the air ducting into the front bedroom was loose and fell off. The dometic thermostat and control panel was defective. The outside refrigerator brackets were ripped out of the wall. The shelf in the compartment next to the outside refrigerator was cheaply made with a flimsy base that sagged within one month of normal use. The awning was twisted due to the fabric being incorrectly installed on the roller. The kitchen cabinet under the sink has misaligned doors that basically need to be completely rebuilt due to unsuccessful attempts at fixing which caused to many holes for the hinges. The table does not sit flat. Leans to the inside. The hot water heater would not ignite. And the biggy, Grand Design did not follow dometic installation recommendations for the refrigerator. The specs say no more than a quarter inch of space between the refrigerator and the walls of the cabinet it is installed in. Grand design had as much as six inches on one side and about ten inches at the top. The so called baffle intended to direct the heated air from operation outside the top vent was warped and just hung loose from the ceiling of the slide out. All of the heated air was just surrounding the refrigerator compromising its ability to cool and stay cool. After a year of in and out of the dealer and constantly communicating with the dealer and Grand Design I began to realize that I was simply being blown off. They all have their basic test protocols and supposedly all the tests showed the refrigerator functions properly. Except the tests were never done in real world conditions. 80 degree days, full of food, the doors being open and closed, etc. After I finally gave up on Grand Design and the dealer I decided what do I have to loose? I pulled the refrigerator out myself and that’s when I discovered the shameful installation attempt on Grand Designs part. The space and the baffle faults. The insulation they put in around the refrigerator was pathetic as well. The bare minimum literally. It may as well not even been there. I reinstalled the unit using foam board insulation filling 100% of the gaps at the sides and the top. I created a baffle that literally does not allow the intended exhausted air from the fans at the rear to go anywhere except out of the upper side vent. Guess what? Now the refrigerator stays cool. No more fluctuations from 37 degrees to more than 50 degrees through the day. No thanks to Grand Design or the dealer. As far as all the other things I mentioned, I also fixed myself. The final inspections from Grand Design and the dealer was a fail if even performed. Grand Design claimed to be a company who wanted to take all of the things they learned from working at previous RV companies and the things they have learned from past customer feedback and improve on these things. Especially in the customer service aspect. My personal experience is they are no different at all. Yes they may have their top of the line model and may be better than average. But really? What does that mean? I experienced all of the same issues dealing with Grand Design as with any other average company who looks out for their best interests over the consumer. The best trailer I ever owned as far as quality and functionality was a Keystone Outback. I was hoping it would be our new Reflection. Sadly it turned out to no Grand Design at all.
- Jeremy Imes, Oregon

2020-05-13 2019 Grand Design Momentum 399TH View Listings

I am ashamed of this mistake in my life. Stay tuned to find out why....... 7/29/19 - We have not had a good experience. In fact, there are so many issues with our brand new 2019 Grand Design Momentum 399TH that I intend to continue updating this post as time goes on. Look closely at photos #1 & 2. When I went online to get an insurance quote, I tried to insure my total investment; the value at number 2 (photo #1), the "bottom line" ($98,230.27). The insurance website would not accept this value and a pop-up warning said it could not be insured for more than its retail value. I tried other values until I had to settle on the value at number 3 ($89,998). By this we know we paid full price. I assume the value at number 1 (photo #2), $118,254, is used to make the buyer think he/she is getting a discount. There were NO discounts for us! Only the Devil's deception! Throughout the sales process, my wife kept telling the dealer that the 'king' sized mattress was too big for the space provided, and that there was not enough space to get around the bed. See photos #3 & 4. The dealer refused to exchange the mattress. GET THIS! The dealer gave us a $25 gift certificate for use in their Parts/Accessories department. So why not buy the quintessential 'sewer hose'? After deduction of the $25 coupon, plus a veteran's discount ($10), I could have bought it on Amazon for a lower price and had it delivered to my house! See photos #5 & 6. What did the little birdie say? "Cheap, Cheap!" The shower door leaked, and no wonder! See photo #7. The sealant was just "gobbed" into two spots on each end of the track. Water found the path in the middle of the track and ran out onto the floor. We thought the water was seeping up through the floor boards. But since it is sheet flooring, this was not possible. It only 'looks' like floor boards. Photo #8. Electric fireplace crack - this is supposed to be a "luxury" RV. Why would I put up with a cheesy looking fireplace? Photo #9. Screws missing and hinges not fully seated in garage lavatory door. Look at the gap between the hinge and the door jam. We took the RV to the dealer on 7/29/19 for repair of several items. I hope this doesn't continue. We're going "full-time" because of my job. We can't afford the down time. UPDATE 8/29/19 - This is no longer a 'bad experience'. It has become an ordeal. We had hoped that the service department at the dealer could redeem themselves, as well as Grand Design RV. Not so. When I picked up the RV on 8/23, I didn't have time to look it over until I got it home. We discovered a number of things that were really just related to the dealer's service department. But there are plenty of issues to point a finger at the manufacturer. First of all, what is with the 'pissing contest' between dealer and manufacturer about what gets priority? The dealer recommended replacement of door and frame between the 'garage' and the living quarters. The indication on the service report is that Grand Design (mfr) 'suggested' (see photo #15) "...rebuilding frame adjusting door to fit". One day this past week, the door was stuck so badly that I couldn't open it! I had to go outside and come in through the back door! A 'suggestion' does not get me full and proper access to my RV. After being at the dealer's for a few weeks for repair of some of these 'issues', we found a number of items related to poor
- Dennis Brant, Arizona

2020-05-09 2019 Grand Design Transcend 31RLS View Listings

This is a great RV to have as a weekend getaway parked at your ranch. I used it on and off for a while for this purpose and it's great. The layout is fantastic, everything works wells, and it has plenty of space.
- Kevin, California

2020-05-08 2019 Grand Design Momentum G Class 28G View Listings

We love the layout and toy hauling ability. From the beginning Microwave & fuel pump didn’t work. Window leaked, awning didn’t roll out correctly, wiring incorrect from factory and had to be redone by dealer. Tows terrible, sways, And yanks our 2020 Ram 3500 around. My husband has towed MANY trailers and says this pulls like a wood box with no wheels. We paid $350 for an alignment shop to fix axels and they did what they could but said there isn’t much that can be done. Dealer did nothing and told not us that this isn’t under warranty!
- Kelly Martinson, Minnesota

2020-05-07 2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH View Listings

Grand Design forgot to put sleeves on slide out on edge of flooring on kitchen. The pressboard is frayed. Of course I didn’t notice there wasn’t a sleeve on the end until I noticed it fraying. (I keep my unit in a shop so it took some time for it to start fraying on edges) Now I have to pull all the appliances and replace the floor out of pocket and the only thing grand design is going to do is send the plastic pieces. Susan with Grand Design blames me for not noticing the sleeves were on there. What a joke! I bought this unit brand new and the dealer or Grand Design should have inspected thoroughly not the customer. That’s why I buy new. We have had multiple issues including the couches cheap upholstery peeling (another issue they are unwilling to resolve or stand behind) When it comes to buying from Grand Design forget about your warranty it is useless. They point fingers instead of accepting responsibility. I understand that it will cost me more money to fight this but I am looking for an attorney today just to make them stand behind this $100k mistake I made in trusting this manufacturer. If anyone knows attorneys that are familiar with cases like this please DM me. I will see this through no matter the cost. It’s principal at this point.
- Dustin VanHouse, Georgia

2020-05-06 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 19BWE View Listings

We really love our Grand Design. We took a factory tour the year before we bought our RV. It was apparent from our experience at the factory that the owners and company take pride in their work and product. Customer service was a huge part of what they stressed. Since we bought our RV, we love the layout, design and floor plan. We have had a couple of minor warranty issues. Grand Design is responsive and thorough in their communication with owners throughout the process. And they make you feel like you are a top priority customer no matter the size of your RV. We looked at several RV's while we were shopping. The quality of work was superior in every way. We still happy with our purchase a year later and would recommend this brand to anyone. Even in a small RV, there is lots of storage, no wasted space. My husband is 6 foot 4 and can stand and shower comfortably. We didn't even consider a murphy bed until we saw this model. If you are considering an RV purchase, you must see a Grand Design from the big fifth wheels to smaller models with murphy beds, every single RV is sheer perfection. You will notice the difference the minute you walk in the door. And the size of the tanks are some of the largest on the market and make it great for many different types of camping experiences! Grand Design is truly grandly designed, and you can't miss this brand!
- Grace Strahan, Mississippi