Grand Design Imagine XLS Reviews on RV Insider (10)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Grand Design Imagine XLS RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

James Williams from Oklahoma says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE View Listings

1. The front of the RV was dented or bowed in were the middle trim is. If you look down it the front is wavy. I looked at it myself and touched the screws on the trim 3 of the screw heads fell off, they appeared had twisted off and been glued back on and then noticed one of the screws was even missing. I was going to put a screw in and discovered there was never a screw there as there was only a hole in the trim and not the trailer. 2. Both pieces of trim running across the front were not sealed and I was leaving on a 17 day trip so I had to seal them myself. 3. Doors to bedroom and bathroom very hard to shut and so miss adjusted that the door striker and magnet could not make contact. And the metal plate on the bathroom door that contacts the magnet was missing and was in fact never there as there were no screw holes. 4. Front decal was coming off 5. Trim on wall by recliner coming off 6. Trim at back of bathroom on floor pulling away from wall. 7. Recliner closest to the bathroom will not recline all the way because it hits the wall. Recliner closest to bedroom does recline fully but also scapes the wall and will result in rubbing a hole in recliner. 8. Bottom right draw will not stay closed when being towed 5. Top gutter above awning leaks above front window Things I fixed because I didn’t want to take it back. 1. Had to adjust bathroom door so my wife could shut it as it was very tight. This was more of a challenge. Tried to adjust it but just couldn’t so I removed the trim on both sides of the door at the top and discovered that the header board that the track screws to was bowed down because the header board was bowed down in the middle. That was because the ceiling is bowed down in the middle. I loosened the header screws and shimmed header at the ends and was able to get it straight and adjust the door. 2. One of The drawers in the bedroom would not stay shut. Discovered that the striker was not even close to the plate so I moved it. 3. Day before I leave on a 17 day trip it rains and water is dripping from the AC unit onto the floor. I removed the top cover but couldn’t see anything wrong. I then removed the bottom covers on the inside of trailer and discovered that all 4 bolts holding the unit to the roof were loose. I tightened them and it rain very hard the next day and no leaks. 4. In the process of fixing the leak I noticed the roof has several bubbles in it and the roof material is not installed very well. Lots of little bubbles. This is my third RV and the worse roof job I have seen. 5. Just discovered that the screw on one side of blinds in bathroom is coming loose because it is just screwed into the paneling and is in the wrong place so that the string is putting to much pressure on screw. I will fix it myself but it will leave a hole as it needs moved over. Things not fixed yet 1. Awning hits slide-out and rests on it. This will result in wearing a hole in the awning. Can not tilt awning when raining, as a result the awning fills with water and then tilts down releasing the water but slide-out pushes on awning and may tear a hole in it. Told it was designed that way. I am not satisfied with that answer as this is my 3rd RV and the awning should not fill with water and then collapse to let the water out. I tried pulling the awning down some on one side but looks like the awning pushes down on the slide out so hard it may poke a hole in it. So we can’t even set under awning if there is very much rain. Very poor design. 2. Heater fan is very loud. I have a recording of it. Dealer looked at it and I admit it was quieter there. It is loud again. High pitch squill. I asked them to replace the fan motor as I had a recording of it but they would only do it if I payed for it, even though they heard the recording. 3. Several of the blinds are crooked when you pull them down because the screws were put in the wrong place. Can’t be fixed with out leaving holes. 4. When the paneling was installed they put something over where the nails or staples are and never wiped of the access so there are blotches every 5. The shower door now only retracts half way, sometimes two thirds. I will see if I can fix it as I am still on a trip. 6. Now one of the LED lights in the main part of trailer is flickering, very annoying to watch. Going to cut the wires and disconnect it. Because I am still on a trip. 7. Poor roof job Summary Worst quality construction in a trailer I have ever seen. I have had a Jayco and Flagstaff by Forest River. I purchased this Grand Design because I had read about how great they were. I love the design and looks but beware the quality control is horrible at least it was on mine. Gave it a 3 for factory warranty and support because I don’t know yet
- James Williams, Oklahoma

2020-09-12 2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE View Listings

Our 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS, floor plan 21BHE was purchased as a semi-permanently installed hunting camper on property we own, with the possibility of a rare family trip. We chose the Grand Design largely due to their reputation for quality. They have not disappointed in that respect, as we’ve had zero issues since taking delivery. The trailer is towed with a 2018 Ford Raptor SuperCrew. Even without weight distribution the trailer is essentially transparent, with no problematic sway or braking issues etc. Pro backup assist is magic and worth every penny, regardless of how well you can back up a trailer. Let me tell you... the old-timers never forget to remind you when they see you using it. easier and safer is easier and safer, regardless of anyone’s weird attachment of masculinity to the simple act of parking a vehicle... it’s not hard and doing it manually isn’t a skill worth bragging about lol. So odd... anyway, back on topic... Initial build quality is, well... still an RV. That said, you can tell the people who assembled it took the time to line things up and what not, which is more than can be said for the majority of camper trailers that we looked at. At the end of the day these things have to be light and that means thin walls, lightweight components and a general lack of the heft and feel of quality that you associate with residential ‘stuff’. With this as a baseline, the build quality of the Grand Design is as good as anything else we could find, short of maybe an Airstream @ 4x the price. Our dealer was LaMesa RV and I can’t recommend them any higher. Their price beat anything we could find on the Internet (let alone locally... which was nothing at all) by a considerable margin. They also do a great job with PDI... it was clear when we showed up that they’d actually tested everything more than once and encouraged us to spend all the time we needed doing the same. Wherever you buy, make sure they focus on this, as I’m fairly certain it’s a big part of why we’ve had no issues since driving off the lot. All in all, I’d strongly recommend both LaMesa and Grand Design.
- James Martin, Florida

2020-05-06 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 19BWE View Listings

We really love our Grand Design. We took a factory tour the year before we bought our RV. It was apparent from our experience at the factory that the owners and company take pride in their work and product. Customer service was a huge part of what they stressed. Since we bought our RV, we love the layout, design and floor plan. We have had a couple of minor warranty issues. Grand Design is responsive and thorough in their communication with owners throughout the process. And they make you feel like you are a top priority customer no matter the size of your RV. We looked at several RV's while we were shopping. The quality of work was superior in every way. We still happy with our purchase a year later and would recommend this brand to anyone. Even in a small RV, there is lots of storage, no wasted space. My husband is 6 foot 4 and can stand and shower comfortably. We didn't even consider a murphy bed until we saw this model. If you are considering an RV purchase, you must see a Grand Design from the big fifth wheels to smaller models with murphy beds, every single RV is sheer perfection. You will notice the difference the minute you walk in the door. And the size of the tanks are some of the largest on the market and make it great for many different types of camping experiences! Grand Design is truly grandly designed, and you can't miss this brand!
- Grace Strahan, Mississippi

2020-04-28 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE View Listings

We bought this in March 2020. It has one previous owner but by the looks of the tires and interior it was not used much. It was manufactured in August 2018. We have gone on two long trips with this truck, from Syracuse NY to the Smokey Mountains and back and then to Gulf Shores Alabama. Pros: Good looking, room enough for a couple and our 40# dog. Its light enough to tow in mountains with our 2019 Nissan Frontier, rated for 6300#s with weight distributing hitch. Ours has a comfortable mattress. Everything in this trailer works now (more about that in cons). I was skeptical of GDesign claim that this trailer was built for cold weather camping. The underbelly of the trailer is sealed under the steal beams so fresh water pipes are protected. After three weeks of testing it outside my house in below freezing temps near Syracuse and no frozen pipes, I now believe. We ran the furnace with the thermostat set on low. We like the Murphy bed which becomes a small couch when folded. It has a 3 burner stove, gas oven, and 120 volt microwave, fairly large fridge, enough storage for all our stuff. Cons: Workmanship. Plain and simple. During my pre delivery inspection I found a kinked hose feeding the hot water heater, which required two trips to correct. The first time the dealer replaced the hose but it also kinked because the bend was too tight. The second time the dealer installed an elbow in the hose. The second day we owned the thing I lost a utensil under the stove. While looking for the thing I removed the big pot drawer under the stove and the front panel covering the heater (below the heater). What I found was a freaking mess. The furnace installer had not attached the duct that heats the underbelly of the trailer, so the under belly of the trailer was not getting heated, but the refrigerator was. The wiring and piping look like they were connected with no thought to ensuring they will stay in place, or ease of repair. There is insufficient strain relief for wires, obvious places where wires will wear against cabinet pass thru holes. And there was construction trash everywhere: loose screws and bolts; round cutouts drilled out of the cabinets, trailer sides and roof; a large plastic folder/bag which had contained parts for the TV antenna; short lengths of coax cable and antenna control wires; longer lengths of 120 volt and 12 volt wires; several pieces of pipe and hoses of 12 inches or less; plus, enough saw and construction dust to start a small fire. I worked construction when younger. The company I worked for hired low paid morons like me to pick up this trash. And we had a supervisor who made sure we did it. I guess RV manufacturers can't be bothered. Out of sight, out of mind. My biggest concern is the loose screws and bolts. Those kind of things get tossed around on bouncy roads and can get into all sorts of bad places, like furnace fans and other mechanical systems. This is not like building a house, where a lost part in a wall will just sit there; in an RV this junk moves around until it jams into something. Other issues included the fact that the latch which holds the Murphy bed vertical was screwed in with wood screws that were only about a quarter of an inch long and had worked themselves loose in only a year of light use. After our first long trip the electric tongue jack was dead. The positive side heavy gauge wire connecting the jack to the battery was cut where it passed thru an unprotected passage hole in the trailer frame. There was no sign of a strain relief or pass thru grommet to protect the wire, which I had to repair and install the needed protection... Oh and the fuse didn't blow because the wire was damaged before the in-line fuse. I am lucky that the battery didn't get damaged. I've owned many boats. I can tell you that the RV industry could learn a lot from the marine industry in terms of workmanship quality. I've never seen such low quality work in a newer model small cruiser, as I've seen in in this newer model RV. And this is supposedly one of the better built ones!
- Doug Allis, New York

2020-02-17 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE View Listings

Outstanding product. This is my third Grand Design. I have gone down smaller each purchase. Big trailers, more issues. I do my own repairs. Nothing major with GD. If they made smaller than the 17MKE, I would still purchase. Bigger is not better! This unit is everything a person needs! Get real! Get back to camping not “RVing”! A lot of bang for the buck with GD. No freeze up with this “true” 4 season trl. Best of all...one does not need an overpriced behemoth diesel truck to tow the 17MKE! Good things come in small packages! GO GD!
- Stephen Tyrrell, New Mexico

2019-09-19 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE View Listings

OUTSTANDING TRL. IT HAS EVERYTHING ONE NEEDS, NOTHING ONE DOES NOT NEED! I HAVE HAD IT OVER A YEAR WITH ONLY 2 ISSUES. CIRCUIT BOARD ON WATER HEATER WENT OUT BECAUSE IT WAS FROM CHINA. I REPLACED IT ON MY OWN WITH A CIRCUIT BOARD FROM USA($200). A/C WAS WIMPY LAST YEAR BECAUSE IT WAS NOT FULLY BOLTED TO ROOF AND THE WAS AIR GAP. TORQUED BOLTS TO FULLY SECURE AND I COULD HANG MEAT IN HERE. EVEN AT 100 DEGREES AND HUMIDITY ONLY NEED UNIT ON LOW AND HALF TEMPERATURE SETTING DOES THE JOB! NO FREEZE UP AT LOWEST TEMP. LAST WINTER 17DEGREES! I HAVE RENOVATED TRL. TO MY COMFORT AND SATISFIED WITH RESULTS. PULLS GOOD AND I HAVE OLD TRUCK! IF I SOLD IT TODAY AND WAS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TRL. I WOULD ONLY BUY GRAND DESIGN PRODUCT. ALOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK.DEFINITELY A PRIME CASE FOR BIGGER IS NOT BETTER! A TRUE 4 SEASON TRL. AND PERFECT SIZE FOR CAMPING OR AS THE SO CALLED ELITE WOULD SAY,"RVING"!
- STEPHEN TYRRELL, New Mexico

2019-08-07 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE View Listings

excellent trailer with everything one needs, nothing one does not! i would never go back to a big travel trailer after conforming to this size trailer with this much quality for a fraction of the price! as stated....alot of bang for the buck! i have one of the first 18rbe's that came out. new production now has a real comfy sofa. mine does not. however, i put in extra foam and covered with big towel to help a little. i am all alone and revised bench and table to habitat for humanity. installed $500 recliner and now in pig heaven! the rest of trailer is outstanding! i donated queen mattress and installed custom 8" gel memory foam high end mattress with 27" hinge for easy folding murphy bed! i love it! grand design makes a true 4 season trl. not a wannabe! down to 17 degrees last winter! warm and toasty no issues! this summer 104 degrees 40% humidity, a/c on low...inside temp=72degrees....aaah just right! tows easy with my old 2004 ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi v8. behemoth overpriced diesel pickup, $70,000? to tow semi looking travel trailer? no thanks! i still call it "camping", not "rving"!
- S.J., New Mexico

2019-07-12 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE View Listings

Outstanding trailer and a lot of bang for the buck! Murphy bed is great and tucks away easily. I donated the original queen mattress. Too big for me and too tight, difficult to make up. I have custom gel memory foam 54x78 with 27” hinge installed. Perfect for me and easy to make up. I have made revisions to trl. to suit me but bottom line....pleased with product and this is my second Grand Design. It’s all I need nothing I don’t! Big trailers? Absolutely absurd!!
- Stephen Tyrrell , New Mexico

2019-06-25 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE View Listings

The floor plan is excellent with the large bathroom with lots of storage throughout but air conditioner doesn't cool very well when it is 90 degrees and up also the trailer is bouncy when the stabilizers are all set when I'm in bed and the wife walking around feels like it's going to bounce off I hope they have a solution to this problem.Other then that I would give it a five star
- Tom Lemen , Texas

2018-10-30 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE View Listings

ANOTHER OUTSTANDING PRODUCT FROM GRAND DESIGN. BIGGER IS NOT BETTER! GET REAL! WHO NEEDS A BEHEMONTH TRAVEL TRAILER THAT ONLY A PETERBILT CAN TOW? THE 18RBE IS EVERYTHING YOU AND THE MRS. NEED, NOTHING YOU DONT! RVING? PLEASEEEE?! I STILL CALL IT CAMPING! EASY TO TOW, EASY TO GET AROUND TOWN OR COUNTRY. DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE BIG TRUCK AISLE TO FUEL! JUST OVER 4000LBS. EVEN LOADED MAYBE 4500LBS? 4 SEASON TRL. WHICH IS A "TRUE" 4 SEASON TRL. THIS TRL. HAS MORE INSULATION FACTOR THAN YOUR HOUSE! THE MURPHY BED IS SOOO COOL! GET OUT OF BED, FOLD IT INTO THE WALL...BED IS MADE! OUT THE DOOR YOU GO! AMPLE DINING, SPACIOUS STORAGE, BIG BATH AND SHOWER, GREAT GALLEY, AND PLENTY OF ROOM FOR SINGLE, COUPLE, SMALL FAMILY! LOOKS GOOD TOO. I LOVE THE LITTLE COUCH WHEN BED IN UPRIGHT POSITION. FOR MY NEEDS, I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO BIG TRAILERS. I PULL THIS ONE WITH A RAM 1500 4X4 5.7 HEMI POWER. AVERAGE MPG=13.3. NOT A BIG DEAL BUT BETTER THAN 9-10MPG WITH FORMER TRAILER.THIS TRL. DOES SIT HIGHER BECAUSE OF THE SUSPENSION, BUT GROUND CLEARANCE IS ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING! GRAND DESIGN TRAILERS ARE PRICED RIGHT AND ALOT OF BANG FOR YOUR BUCK! THIS IS MY SECOND PURCHASE. ANOTHER HAPPY CAMPER! NO, I AM NOT AN "RVer"! DONT NEED A 90' MOTORHOME!
- STEPHEN TYRRELL, New Mexico