Forest River XLR Thunderbolt Reviews on RV Insider (15)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River XLR Thunderbolt RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Patricia Byrd from Alabama says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP View Listings

We have owned several RV's from class A to 5th wheels. We love our Thunderbolt XLR 415AMP. Its roomy, comfortable and meets all our needs. We chose this one because of its size and garage for our razor side by side. What We do Not love is Forest River's stand on Warranty Work and who should do it. We had several issues with our new unit. We purchased it from a well known dealer and took it there for warranty work. On our last attempt to have some warranty work done, the dealer was not going to be able to get to our unit for several weeks. We had an out of state wedding to attend and were taking the RV with us. Our leveling system was having issues. We took it to another reputable dealer and Forest River would NOT cover the cost of the repairs. We have tried to contact them on this several times and even emailed them a copy of the service order. Forest River has not attempted to contact us or reimburse us for the Warranted Repairs. We will surely look at other manufacturers when we buy our next RV.
- Patricia Byrd, Alabama

2020-11-18 2018 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP View Listings

1. Was in Kansas for fathers funeral and needed a part for the camper I had purchased in Florida. My sons were with me. 2. I went to MidWest RV for the part and purchased a 2018 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 382AMP 5th Wheel Toy Hauler, which I planned to live in full time and travel with my sons. This camper came with a 1 year manufacturers warranty, and I purchased an extended warranty. 3. After the funeral, I transport the 5th wheel back to Florida where I live. 4. About 2 weeks after being back in Florida, I noticed water was dripping from under the camper. I called Forest River and was advised by a representative that Dixie RV, 328 Green Acres Dr, Defuniak Springs, FL, 32435, (850) 397-3618, dixierv.com, would be the closest authorized repair shop. 5. I made contact with Dixie RV and made an appointment which was October 2019. 6. RV was dropped off to Dixie RV for repairs. After the repairs, the water leak was fixed, but had done damage to the sub-flooring in the "basement" compartment, the kitchen floor/linoleum, and the main slide floor. Dixie RV stated the tank-less water heater had not been tightened fully at the manufacturer. 7. I moved the camper to another location, which is my current address, and noticed water was leaking again from underneath. Also with in about a months time the following items were not operable, see attached list of items from Dixie RV. 8. The camper was dropped off at Dixie RV where it remained for 32 days. Forest River was contacted about the length of stay I had to endure in a hotel due to the fact the camper was in the repair shop for warranty repairs. Forest River stated they do not cover costs of hotel stays even though it was a warranty work being done, they simply do not and will not pay for those costs. See attached receipts for hotel stay. 9. After the repairs were completed, I met with an RV repair technician who indicated the water leak was from the tank less water heater again which ruined the floor the 1st time. The "blackwater", solid waste tank had been drilled into at the manufacturer and was the cause of leaking fumes into the camper, and leaking out onto the ground. The "gray tank" shower/sink water tank had holes in it as and was leaking. The technician also showed me structural issue under the main slide which was causing the main slide to not close like the manufacturer intended. Pictures of this structural issue are attached. 10. I contacted Angie Smiley at Forest River Warranty department in which she stated the only item she saw in her system was for the linoleum that had to be replaced. Not enough linoleum was sent to replace all the linoleum in the camper, so now there is mixed patterns. Mrs. Smiley indicated she wasnt aware of anything else that needed to be repaired. 11. I contacted Dixie RV and was advised they had submitted all repairs to Forest River, or how else would they have gotten replacements parts for what was able to be repaired. 12. I was contacted by Brent Stevens who stated he was the General Manager for Forest River. I advised Mr. Steven of the repaired issues, the issues that still needed to be addressed, and the new structural issues. I stated I was going to file complaints with the Attorney General Offices of Kansas, where the camper was purchased, and in Indiana where the camper was manufactured. Mr. Stevens said, "Oh you dont need to do that. We'll make everything right for you." I told Mr. Stevens I hope they do. Mr. Stevens sent an email to Mrs. Smiley about the issues I was having. Mrs. Smiley being the same representative I spoke to before who told me there was nothing in her warranty system for my camper. To this date, November 4, 2020, I have not received any emails, phone calls, or text messages from any representative from Forest River. I'm a permanent and total disabled veteran after serving eight (8) years in the Army, and being deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I wanted to have a camper that I could live in, and travel with my sons around the United States. This dream has been destroyed now and my sons let down because of poor and dangerous workmanship from Forest River. I have bouts of PTSD, debilitating migraines from service connected injuries, and I cant even stay inside my home because of the smell from the solid waste tank leaking. With as many issues this particular 5th wheel has had, there is no other explanation except it was poorly manufactured and should be deemed as uninhabitable, and Forest River be forced to take back this camper and take care of the loan for said camper. I should be refunded my money for the stay I had to endure while my home was being repaired.
- Floyd Craig Jr, Florida

2020-09-02 2016 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 420AMP View Listings

Worked for THUNDERBOLTS WRRANTY DEPARTMENT fOR YEAR'S THE FLOOR DEPARTMENT HAD BEEN USING A PLAZMA CUTTER TO CUT THE FRAMES TO PLACE PLUMBING AND ELECTRIC WERE NEEDED, well IF SOMETHING WAS IN THE WAY IT WAS CUT OUT..THIS LEFT Frames WEEK THEY STARTED CRACKING ..WELL THIS WAS STOPED IN 2016 BUTT THERE ARE LIKE THOUSANDS OF COMPRMIZED FRAMES OUT THERE. Thunderbolt Nitro and Hyper Lite
- Donnie Burgess, Indiana

2020-09-02 2018 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP View Listings

I worked XLR warranty parts return four year's up until last March. What I saw was every unit going out the door with problems. Most of the larger amp units by the front slide out the wall cracks. This is because they are not built strong enough .. Then lets state sealing issues leaks when your underbelly fill's with water ok they would pull the cover dry out replaced. WELL THERE is THAT AREA OF THE FLOOR THAT HAS INSIDE THE 1"DECKING ROLLED OUT INSULATION THEN THE FURNACE VENTS THEN THE PLASTIC COVER. This I had never paid to change no one looks at but when it gets wet it does knot dry The only way is to replace the complete floor mean's pulling the unit completely apart to repair I saw awnings falling off. Window that fell out in traffic.Axles falling off,I could go on and on !!!
- Donnie Burgess, Indiana

2020-04-28 2017 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 422AMP View Listings

We've owned several RVs including tongue pull, motor home and 5th wheel models. This 2017 422amp had so many problems from when we first started using it brand new. Forest River DOES NOT stand behind them. We purchased the extended year warranty which we found out was a waste of money. We had factory defects that never were taken care of. This is the 2nd Forest River 5th wheel that we've owned. We had numerous problems with the first one that were not taken care of also. When we purchased this one, the Forest River Rep was there and actually showed us the camper along with the owner of the RV dealership. When we found out it was a Forest River product, we both said no, show us something else. The rep asked why and we told him about all the problems with the 1st one. He and the RV Dealer owner assured us things have changed with Forest River and guaranteed any problems would be handled to our satisfaction. Not only were they not handled to our satisfaction, THEY WERE NOT HANDLED AT ALL! Terrible warranty support!
- Mark, Minnesota

2019-11-29 2017 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 422AMP View Listings

Not impressed with the quality of forest river manufacturing. It seems the quality checking is non existence. The black water valve was reversed so the first time emptying was a bit of a mess. Tipped the guy at the site the cost of the empty because he wore the mess. The workmanship is beyond shoddy..trim coming loose etc. We had trouble with 2 of the three doors closing properly. We were first time rv owners and there were far too many things we were not informed about (this issue is obviously on the dealership). That having been said 3 seasons later the dealership has addressed each issue but we have had to take the rv back to the dealership after each winter season down south. We have had tire issues in Arizona, inverter issues in California (this one was not good the inverter is the heart and soul of and RV and in 110 degree weather to go dead in the water is not good). We called our dealer from California someone said to go ahead and get it fixed. We did so but because we did not get a name of the person they reimbursed us the 800$ paid in American in 800$ Canadian that is at least a 30 percent loss to us. (That is on our dealership) for the amount of money this unit cost I have huge issue with quality of the workmanship over all. As with any dealership once the vehicle/unlit is sold they are done with you. That doesn’t seem to change be it a vehicle or an RV. I would hesitate to purchase a forest river product again. I would for sure research more before we purchase again. So far we have been able to fix the issues reasonably easy however I feel we shouldn’t have to be fixing much of anything for a unit that cost us over 100,000.00 Canadian.
- Jo-Anne, ontario canada, Ontario

2019-01-03 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 395AMP View Listings

This is our 2nd new camper we have bought and are very disappointed with all the repairs considering we had very few problems with our first. If it wasn't for ruining my credit i would park it in the dealers yard .We bought the extended warranty and it does not cover anything except mechanical or electrical. Luckily we did because they have replaced the fieplace,TV, microwave not to mention the minor things.The couch that kept coming apart at the seams was covered by factory warranty both times they fixed it.Now the rubber roof liner is coming unglued all around the edges and the floor is weak in front of the door plus the furnace quit working This is all considered cosmetic and not covered under warranty except the furnace they are saying is dirt dobbers and not covered. Why would they not put screens over the inlets but anyway that is another story. We are sick and really do not know what to do
- Kyle Bohannon, Arkansas

2018-11-04 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 401AMP View Listings

This toy hauler is qualified as a shop area, sewing room, play room, sleeps 9. Extra recliner. So much storage can't fill it up. King bed 4 TV's,extra factory installed cabinets. Electric push button sewer valves. Upgraded Dexter shackles suspension. New tires. Extra added graphics. Fantastic kitchen. L shaped front room. 55" smart tv. Need to know more 360-796-4491
- Mike & Ellen Matthews, Washington

2018-10-24 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 401AMP View Listings

This coach is very comfortable. We've spent a lot of time travelling safely over 2000 at a trip. It has upgraded Dexter wetbolt suspension,new G rated tires. Extra factory cabinets, racks in the 12 ft.garage for canned goods. King bed with huge storag & closet in bedroom, everything works. A window put in the door. Oversized 2 recliner couch and one with a bed Thomas Payne. Extra graphics. So much to enjoy.
- Mike & Ellen Matthews, Washington

2018-10-18 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 401AMP View Listings

Our experience with this coach has been wonderful.Comfortable, roomy, easy to cook in. Big shower, great storage, huge closet, tows easily. Beautiful wood.Dexter suspension, electric sewer valves, push a button. Gen 5500 own fuel tank. We always wanted full body paint & we finally found one on the West Coast so we're selling our T Rex. 43 ft. 12' garage L shaped couch extra recliner. Sleeps 8.
- Ellen & Mike Matthews, Washington

2018-04-27 2016 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 420AMP View Listings

We purchased our thunderbolt at end of 2015. All we have had is one issue after another. Last year we noticed that there was something going on with the frame. Took it to dealer. After one month it was sent back to manufacturer the frame in many places was not welded or the welding was poorly done and braking apart. Very scary that this would have broken apart while on highway. We and others could have been severely injured. It has taken 6 months for us to have our trailer back. We have a few other issues that need taken care of but the dealer has no time for us. Would never purchase another forest river product, very poor workmanship and no pride in their work
- JP, Alberta

2018-04-27 2016 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 420AMP View Listings

- JP, Alberta

2017-05-13 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 380AMP View Listings

Very nice unit , like new, tows great, haves plenty of room for a family or friends. Has tons of sleeping space. This unit has a full hd orange paint job. Great for hauling harley davidson bike. The toy hauler will haul a 2 seater side by side and 3 dirt bikes at one time . Lots of space in hauler.
- KRYSTA, Pennsylvania

2017-05-13 2014 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 380AMP View Listings

VERY NICE UNIT , LIKE NEW, TOWS GREAT, HAVES PLENTY OF ROOM FOR A FAMILY OR FRIENDS.HAS TONS OF SLEEPING SPACE. THIS UNIT HAS A FULL HD ORANGE PAINT JOB. GREAT FOR HAULING HARLEY DAVIDSON BIKE. THE TOY HAULER WILL HAUL A 2 SEATER SIDE BY SIDE AND 3 DIRT BIKES AT ONE TIME . LOTS OF SPACE IN HAULER.
- KRYSTA, Pennsylvania

2014-10-29 2015 Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 395AMP View Listings

Love this toy hauler!!! It has tons of room in the 14' garage, is nice to have the extra room there for sleeping, dinning or to use as a screened in porch. Living quarters is the same, lots of room, nice big tv in a great location above the door for better viewing and just love the big bathroon and curved shower. Queen bed in the bedroom and lots of storage for clothing. Also nice having the fueling station outside the garage for extra fuel for the motorcycles and such. Can't go wrong with this XLR 395AMP.
- Sandra Hayes, Georgia