Forest River XLR Hyper Lite RVs Reviews (25)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River XLR Hyper Lite RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Charlie Pratt from North Carolina says:

Have you owned any Forest River XLR Hyper Lite RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 30HDS View Listings

I would like to start by saying that the floor plan, the amount of storage space and two slides are great for a toy hauler. Also the unit is very light for towing. Now for the problems, which are way too many for a new camper. The couch slide gets jammed sideways going in or out. While we were at the Grand Canyon, AZ and Boulder City, NV the temps were 107 to 117. The AC breaker kept tripping all day so we had to pack up the dog and drive around in the truck all day. The frig did not cool like it should but I think that was because it was so hot in the camper. The front door is hard to open and close and pops open going down the road even though I double look it. I had to put a bungie cord on it. We had a lot of trim work fall off of the walls because of poor stapling. There were numerous interior finish issues. Now the power is out to one of the couch recliners which controls the light, massage and heat. I would not buy another one of these campers.
- Charlie Pratt, North Carolina

2019-11-05 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 26HFS View Listings

Very easy to tow and back. Set up is a breeze. Amazing amount of storage. Dry camping/boondocking is no problem with the 30-gal fuel tank and Onan generator, starts easily with the push of a button from inside the RV. Shower is roomy, lots of storage inside the bath, medicine cabinet. The queen size bed sleeps well and there is lots of storage space beneath the bed and in the cabinets over the bed, and in the closets on each side of the bed for hanging clothes. It is the perfect size!
- Sonja Brown, Tennessee

2019-10-29 2018 Forest river XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

slide fails alot goes crooked vary disappointed only 1 year old but i did buy it from 1 owner vary low miles just barley used can you help with warranty???? other then that Vary nice camper . just dont want to gets stuck camping some where and wont go in or out can i bring it to a local dealer and have it fixed under warranty that would be nice..
- thomas hedgers, Minnesota

2019-08-13 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

As far as the overall RV I have not had that many problems. One of the pocket doors rail mounts on the door broke. I ordered the parts but had a hard time trying to get them to go back into the pins and lock. I finally took off the trim over the door which made it much easier to connect and lock the door to the rail. I put the trim back on with a couple of screws so if I need to work on it again it will be easy to get to. Need to make sure the door is closed before traveling. My fuel pump quit working so the gas gauge does not work. The main problems I have is the generator. So far it has been in for service 4 times. 3 in Missouri, they replaced the started and relay. Recently went on a trip out west. In Colorado I tried to start the generator and it would run a little and die. Finally got it to run for a longer time and it died early in the morning. In Cheyenne Wy the generator would continually surge. At times it would start and seem to run at the correct speed and then start to surge. It would not run the AC. Took it to a Cummins service center and the tech said the carburator was bad. Cost me $415 to replace. That evening started the gen and it kept shutting down when I turned on the AC. The AC has the fast start capacitor in it. Finally had to use shore power by using an extension cord. Call the service center and was told that they gen loses a lot of wattage due to the altitude. The altitude on the carb was set to 6000 ft which was the altitude in Cheyenne. Even trying to run 2 small fans the gen kept shutting down. Got home and ran the gen with the AC and refrig on with no problem. Don't know why they have an altitude compensation adjustment on the carb if it does nothing. Wondering why Onan makes a RV generator that does not work when you get in the mountains. On the plus side the toy hauler pull great, don't even feel it behind you. I replace both the mattress because the ones that came with the trailer were very uncomfortable. The bathroom is rather small and with the tall cabinet next to the sink it is a little tight. It is a big step up to get into the shower. Getting out one time I almost fell. Probably will make some kind of step. Some of the decals of peeling off. Have to be careful to make sure all the drawers are full closed before extending the slide out or it will catch on one of the drawer handles. Wish they had a side in the bedroom so there was more room. There is not much space on each side of the bed. Hard to get dress in such a limited space. I bought the cold weather package and upgraded air conditioner. The area inside under the slide get a lot warmer than other parts of the trailer since there in not much if any insulation on the top of the slide out. Think adding the pull out awning might help to keep it cooler. Kitchen faucet is very cheap and will probably break sometime. There are no manuals for several things. Like the blue lights over a couple of the cabinets. Also have the 3 seat recliner which is great .
- Bob G, Missouri

2019-08-10 2016 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

Bought it for traveling to motorcycle rally's and a few weekend trips. Have owned it for 3 years and have had only one slight problem. Front light on front of camper by propane tanks somehow got water in it. They replaced it and that's it. Plenty of room for four people with the queen bed in back. Nice camper overall.
- Dennie Smith , Illinois

2019-07-03 2016 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 18HFS View Listings

Never again will I is brand or would I recommend this to anyone. From the lies, poor quality, poor service lack of empathy once they got there money all was over. Delivery of the product was late and we lost warranty as it stared from not when we received the unit but 45 days earlier when we paid for it. The worst quality you could ever imagine. WAY too many things to mention. DO NOT BUY FOREST RIVER PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Dan finnel, Wisconsin

2019-06-24 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 18HFS View Listings

Dream to disappoint for sure. Perfect for wife and i living space perfect for us But Quality is a real disappointment the Service WHERE we bought it laughably disappointing especially after we had made an appointment a week in advance to pick up our BRAND NEW camper ”READY” to go is what I heard,Too Funny! Now we have a hole CUT into the wall of OUR NEW camper it gets better folks! Forget the loose drain lines, bad batteries,or peeling walls,oh and AC unit Now there is water damage on wall where outside speakers are at yes factory issued 2017 I am really ready to just throw yellow paint on this LEMON Wife has been in touch with corporate on first issue and they were helpful BUT then they give it to CAMPING WORLD good €#&@n luck terrible customer service these people actually cut the hole in our BRAND NEW Camper slammed bondo in and called it fixed lol cracked now lol going back for the at least the 4th time for major fix in 2 years hopefully everything will get better
- William Murphy , Georgia

2019-05-03 2012 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

On our way home from Arkansas I noticed while doing a circle check, left side of trailer had 6 cracks on i beam and the flange was broken open at front of suspension.Right side had 5 cracks of which all are above suspension area!! When you walk in trailer it was like being in a boat with rough water -side to side motion also this way when towing home 800 km as no dealers or welding shops had time to put 3 cross braces across hanger brackets . I contacted Forest River XLR department and Diane quickly responded back and sent information to Lippert as they make the frames. Brian responded back and said that nothing could be done as we are second owner and rust on frame, also frame built to spec. So then Forest River engineering have no clue!! As was the problem of bent 3,500 lb axles and I replaced with 4,400 lb at our expense due to no warranty on second owners. So now our retirement travel's are on hold as we have a unfit trailer and very Blessed that we made it home and not pulled over by police or MTO. They would have pulled plates and charged us. Knowing this a my 44 years as truck driver. Trailer is VERY unsafe and not wanting to turn any corners as this is what created the stress cracks on the 1/8"gauge-( 6 i beam) along with driving on the rough roads. I thought retirement was Living the Dream not worrying about trailer axles falling out and could cause trailer to flip over. Will be contacting the NHTSA about this and MTO (Canada). NEVER BUY FOREST RIVER !! or you will pay dearly by accident or wallet to repair But as Brian said built to spec. We need not North American Engineering but Chinese or Korean to engineer the RV industry, then it will be correct!! Any one know the owner - Warren Buffet email address?? Check your trailer out and ride safe not as a hazard to those around!! James
- James Huber, Ontario

2019-04-24 2018 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 30HDS View Listings

We've had our toy hauler just barely over a year and I only wish I would have done a bit more research on Forest River. I really love the trailer but make sure if you don't get the generator package that you get a cover for the vented opening where it would be. Bad design, it allows water to enter your trailer and then the mold will start soon after. Now, they say a cover should have come with it (but it wasn't, even rv dealer was not aware)and since it's only days or a couple weeks over a year they are declining to assist on backing their product. Thankfully my RV dealer is awesome and they are seeing what options they have. Again, other than the mold from the design flaw, poor fabric accents that detach easily and Forest Rivers lack of commitment to their product and customer, we love our toy hauler because it fits our needs.
- Kenneth Taylor, Virginia

2019-01-18 2011 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 305V10 View Listings

Excel RVs by Peterson Industries are built for comfort and fulltime living. They are high quality, superb durability RV's that are built to last decades (not seasons) with attractive styling and comfort. With superior materials and insulation, the Winslow 37SDF is sturdy and comfortable at -10F or 120F. When towing, it can handle strong cross winds. Peterson Industries closed their doors because the industry was seeing an insurgence of mergers - resulting in low quality workmanship and poor quality materials that allowed RV manufacturers to sell pretty, but inferior units at much lower prices. Rather than lower their standards, Peterson closed their doors. Today their employees continue maintaining Excels with the same exacting, high standards. Today Excels that are 20, even 30 years old remain the best built and most comfortable fifth wheels on the road.
- Deane, Arizona

2018-12-11 2011 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 305V10 View Listings

This is an awesome unit. Sleeps 6-8 pulls very nice, nice garage, kitchen, GENERATOR, nice bath, all around great setup, entertaining is very easy with the rear patio and open floor plan, very nice to travel in.
- Scott Siemers , Minnesota

2018-04-02 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 18HFS View Listings

I purchased my 2017 XLR hyperlite 18hfs from boomers rv in indiana..they sale it and then tell you don't call us with any problems, go call forest river which is a headache itself to get anything done..the Qaukity of this camper is cheapest materials ever! Had this about a year and the frames already rusting, wood trim inside is peeling away, the vinyl they use to dress up interior walls is peeling and bubbling from wall..heating unit already broke down, already had problems with hot water heater.paint is starting to peel on exterior and I wash and was this and take care of it..my first forest river camper and I fully regret it..feel seriously robbed for what i paid for and what i got, No Qaulity to last!
- Mark, Indiana

2018-04-02 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 18HFS View Listings

- Mark, Indiana

2017-11-26 2015 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 30HFS5 View Listings

This is a cheap made camper. Had problem with slide out, carbon dioxide alarm, wiring. Trim falling off. Replaced table coming apart , also fender trims cracking in the big two years we have had this camper. Saling and replacing withe something else other than xlr or foreat river. Do not recommend to others to buy.
- Donna flowers, Kentucky

2017-08-04 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

2014 XLR Hyperlite 27HFS - Interior Features: 12V Battery Disconnect, Microwave, Rounded shower rod with curtain, 2 burner cook top, Double. toy hauler with generator, gas station, rear electric queen bed in garage, fully insulated with enclosed bottom, separate rear door to garage, single. Very clean and in very good condition.
- WILLIAM SANSBURY, South Carolina

2017-08-04 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

- WILLIAM SANSBURY, South Carolina

2017-06-27 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 30HDS View Listings

- Charlie Pratt, North Carolina

2017-06-14 2011 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

Great floor plan for a toyhauler! Back is not only for toys but makes a great separate living space! Extremely lightweight, is half ton towable. Slide out gives you the extra space you need for friends!
- Diane, Pennsylvania

2017-02-20 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

The biggest advantage I experienced with the Forest River Toy hauler was how light it feels when towing, presumably due to the all aluminum framing. A 1/2 ton will pull it comfortably. In the three years I owned mine I never had a failure with anything other than a blown tire. All the appliances are high quality as is the construction of cabinetry, which is abundant for a TOY HAULER. Even double wall cabinets with garment bar in the garage area. Air blows well throughout the unit and the heat is almost too good. Another huge advantage is the dinette slide-out. This unit has a four foot slide out vs. 30-36 on most other models. This significantly increases usable space. I really don't have anything negative to say...it fit my needs perfectly. I am trading up to a larger Toy Hauler as the toy list is growing and my space is shrinking. You can be sure it will be a Forest River model.
- Jerry Munsell, Florida

2016-09-12 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

Problems, problems, problems!!! Pocket doors broke twice so far in transit. Dump hose bracket broke in transit. We lost our hose and ruined bracket due to dragging on pavement. Many minor issues that we had to return our RV for warranty repairs causing usage unavailability. I think we purchased a poorly built and/or designed vehicle. This is our first RV and are very frustrated and disappointed with our choice.
- Jan Ellison, Pennsylvania

2016-09-12 2017 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

- Jan Ellison, Pennsylvania

2016-08-07 2015 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

We like everything about the living space and space for side by side. Losts of storage. We are having some issues pulling it with a three-quarter ton Dodge diesel short bed with sway bars. It likes to push you around on the road.Anybody out there having the same issue?
- Mindy, Colorado

2014-12-15 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

We love our camper. It has had some issues with fit and finish but all have been resolved. I bought the biggest camper I could pull so the floor plan works well for us but we would have preferred the 29'. We love the screen door on the back of the garage door. We also love the back entry door. We would recommend this camper.
- Gregg Bukowski , Michigan

2014-12-15 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS View Listings

- Gregg Bukowski , Michigan

2014-11-04 2014 Forest River XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS View Listings

Great floor plan. Nice cabinets, like the garage with rubber floor and tie downs. Diamond bright baseboards is a nice feature. Little counter space, would be nice to have flip up counter extension. Blank panels in cabinets should have a finished cabinet door, I will have to add. I like the led interior lights. Great countertop for good size flat screen Not a fan of where black and grey water tanks are located. Too far under trailer, Front rack on tongue is just a bit small to strap down a 3000 honda generator. Just a little more focus and I think it would work. Walls in shower are a bit thin, noticed some misshapen on edges. I wish the windows were a bit larger, inside feels a bit cramped. Love the back bed that comes down in garage and the screen that comes down when aft door is down. 13500 ac works hard in florida summer weather. Seems like optional ac should be standard or pre wire garage for 2nd ac unit. Problem so far...Vinyl cusihon has broken seam, light switch miswired. Light switch in front bed changes tv signal...weired.Overall a good first camper.
- John Belknap, Florida