Forest River Surveyor Reviews on RV Insider (37)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Surveyor RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Charles wingfield from Virginia says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Forest River Surveyor 240RBS View Listings

Bought this trailer in May 2015. Love the large bathroom interior layout and the outdoor kitchen.. This is the best towing camper I have ever owned. Now with that being said we get to the quality or lack of it issure. I could write two pages on the problems i have had with this trailer. I did all the repairs myself. just to name a few problems: water leak bedroom window, slide and stove vent. Shower drain leaking, out side tv mount not screwed in the frame ,pulled right off, water pump hose leaking, outside kitchen door one side was inch and half lower than the other didn't look too good when it was open, had to push the awning out to get it started to unroll , lots of screws missing inside and out, misaligned trim everywhere inside, bathroom door hanging on the striker plate when opening and closing, screen door had a crack between the front edge and the jam big enough to let bugs and wherever in. This is not all the problems I have had but some of them. I should have caught some of these problems before leaving the lot however I have never had any problems with past campers I have had , guess I let my guard down . Bought this at dealer in Ashland Va I don't think they checked much of anything before I picked it up .
- Charles wingfield, Virginia

2020-10-05 2020 Forest River Surveyor 250FKS View Listings

I purchased a Forest River luxury Surveyor in June. I first made use of it in early July. After 1 week the rains came and it was leaking water. It took me a month to get the dealer to give me the okay to make the two-hour drive to return it to them. I dropped it off and it's been 5 weeks and I'm still waiting on a window. This is money wasted by the time I get the trailer back my warranty certainly will be shortened considerably. I called Forest River corporate office and talk to a grouchy woman. I have two family members shopping for travel trailers and I told them to stay away from Forest River as well as Daytona RVs.
- Curtis Brown, Florida

2020-09-23 2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS View Listings

Would not recommend the Forest River Surveyor 247bhds. We did extensive research before deciding to choose the 2017 Forest River Surveyor 247bhds. We bought new and it is not of good quality. From the moment we got it we have had issues. We should have returned it from the get-go. It’s nearly impossible to get any support from Forest River. The trailer was advertised as fade resistant, but not true. The trailer is 3-years old and looks terrible. Even after repeated waxing, we can’t keep it from fading. The back now has a very large bubble that we will have to find out what this may turn into. Will the trailer start peeling? The first time we used the trailer, all of the pantry shelves fell down because they were too cheap to add an extra quarter inch of shelving to actually stay on the brackets. It was on warranty so they added ugly strips inside to accommodate the too small shelves. Word of advice, just make your own quality shelves to add. Even the curtains are too small, perhaps to save on an inch of material? We had to buy new curtain rods because the rods were so cheap they were bent and we couldn’t get them to stay straight. The hydraulic hinges under the bed were broken, again fixed under warranty. The bathroom screen door sticks, tried to have fixed under warranty, but still wouldn’t work right and the actual door needs to slammed to be shut. The screen door handle eventually broke off because it never did fit correctly. Tried using duct tape, but failed. You actually need to have long fingernails or tweezers to pull the plastic piece to get in and outside of the screen door otherwise you are stuck in or out. On our last trip the refrigerator quit working, the inside ceiling stripping was falling down, we had a flood of water come into the bedroom from the opposite wall (and this was supposed to be a relaxing trip). Still not sure what it is, but apparently when hooked up to city water there is a failed check valve or something and the water was spraying everywhere into the trailer wall. Instead of an overflow to somewhere outside of the trailer, it went directly toward the wall to the trailer. We will need to do a lot of research to figure out how to fix it. While under warranty we did have the fridge looked at as it had trouble lighting and was noisy, but they didn’t find anything wrong. When we returned from our 5 day trip, the fridge no longer works on electric or gas. Another fix we’ll need to figure out. During this trip the illuminated buttons to show water and battery levels was inaccurate. Also, the outside rubber trim has been replaced numerous times. The entire trailer rubber trim was replaced under warranty, but now we are experienced in replacing since it’s a common problem. On our last trip, we lost another strip of rubber and it will again need to be replaced. Each time the slide-out goes in and out there is some kind of sawdust that comes out at the bottom. This too was reported while under warranty and was looked at, but they didn’t find anything to report other than possibly residual from build although it still happens and we hope it isn’t anything to be concerned about. If you saw this trailer, you’d think it was brand new (except for the fading and visible issues), we take Very good care of it, it is not thrashed and it’s not used much. There are probably other items we have not mentioned, but we want to get the word out to others. Perhaps we got a lemon, but it will never be anything Forest River will care about, they make it difficult to contact them. We are not happy about spending $30k of our hard earned money to give us grief and constant maintenance. Even though Forest River claims they have the best trailers around, they truly cannot be honest about that. They must know how flimsy their product is. It’s obvious by this review.
- Lin Orsi, California

2020-08-02 2020 Forest River Surveyor 250FKS View Listings

Let's start e saying we sold our R-pod from forest river due to size. No issues what so ever, so decided to stay with Forest River and bought the Surveyor 250 FKS. Needless to say the RV place didn't do a proper PMI before we picked it up. However the fuse to the slide keeps blowing everytime we unplugged it from the power source. Then the first official trip we unplugged it before we left and the fuse didn't blow but now the refrigerator turns on but doesn't cool. Not sure what this issue is until we take it I to the shop. Shouldn't have these issues with a new trailer and maybe if the RV dealer c pool completed a proper PMI these issues would have bee found and fixed. We do love the floor plan and the space as well as the decor, it pulls great behind our Toyota Tundra as well. Hopefully when everything is corrected we will be Happy Campers:) I hope Forest River pays attention to this review.
- Brooke, Utah

2020-06-10 2016 Forest River Surveyor 245BHS View Listings

Overall this has been a great camper, but there have been a few minor issues such as the sound bar not working all the time and after a couple days the camper smells a little bit like septic but it always returns to its normal smell .Another small problem is that one of the cabinet doors was mounted a quarter inch to high. The final issue I have with it is that the front piece of fiberglass began to fade after our 3rd year. But all these problems have been easily fixed, so I think it’s a great camper overall.
- Jorden Haviland , Pennsylvania

2020-06-07 2017 Forest River Surveyor 33RTLS View Listings

Liked floor plan but terrible durability. Paint fading, molding strips split. Replaced one AC and repaired another in 3 years. Too much tow weight. Awning not durable. Like full size fridge and closet space.
- Charles, Mississippi

2020-03-31 2020 Forest River Surveyor 250FKS View Listings

I purchased the camper in Oct 2019 and picked it up in Nov. and transported it 50 miles to my home where It has been parked. While cleaning the exterior of the camper I notice rust covering the stairs at the back door and around the tongue. I took photos and sent them to Forest River. They will pay for 0.50, 30 minutes labor, to have the rust scrapped and painted. I Had 2018 Jayco that I camped every other weekend in for 3 years. When I turned it in on the Surveyor, because I liked the layout, it still looked brand new inside and out. It held up Beautifully. This rust issue to me screams of very poor quality and if the frame is made of the same rusting material as the stair and tongue, I am so screwed. RUN, RUN, RUN, from any Forest River product, and warn your fellow campers.
- Colleen Thurman, New York

2020-03-15 2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS View Listings

I've owned this camper since I bought it brand new in 2017... truly no other camper on the market that provides so many amenities in such a small package! My family of 4 loves every single inch of it and if you think you won't use each and every little seemingly inconsequential feature, you'll love it all! From the double slide with kitchen island, to the outdoor kitchen, the outdoor shower, the second entry door in the bathroom, the bathtub, everything! This camper packs your whole wish list into one perfect package and I am so lucky to own this perfect model! More than highly recommended!!!
- Erin , Michigan

2020-02-14 2018 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS View Listings

This is the perfect RV for a small family or couple or individual wanting to travel in comfort and style. The RV offers Bunk beds for the little ones and a queen size for the adults to rest easy after a long day of hiking. I personally loved the outdoor BB-Que with sink and fridge. Pulling the camper is a breeze , I used my 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel and pulled the camper down the road with no issues. The design and craftsmen ship of the Forest River Surveyor is very good. The RV has a decent floor plan with a lot of nice features. I would of preferred a couch or chair but the Table /dining area worked out fine for my small family. Warranty and Service was awesome fixing any small issues in the break in period and inspecting all points on the trailer.
- Chris Croniser, Texas

2020-01-23 2020 Forest River Surveyor 287BHSS View Listings

We use our trailer primarily in the winter for skiing and purchased this trailer specifically for the arctic package. Unfortunately since purchase we have dealt with 6 + weeks of our brand new trailer being in the shop attempting to get the furnace to function and heat. Forest River has not provided prompt warranty work and at this stage still has no answer in terms of solving this problem. No lemon laws for trailers. I would recommend no one purchases a Forest River Surveyor until they are able to figure out this problem. Hoping this review will get Forest Rivers attention and start returning our phone calls. Forest River, Surveyor, Arctic Package, 4 season, RV Lemon law, Best trailers for winter camping
- Annie Garske , Washington

2020-01-22 2017 Forest River Surveyor 33KRETS View Listings

If it were not for the lay out of the pull camper from the bath to the back end we would trade it in a heart beat, and not a Forest Rivers brand. Our experience has been a night mare. We have had our camper since March 2018. Have used it maybe 6-7 times and every time we have had a problem. The first 4 times we tried to use it we had to drive 200 miles back to Mid State to their service department.Where we had bought it. The number of problems are to numerous and involved to go into detail. Briefly a few of the problems: kitchen sink looked like a 2 yr. Child had installed it. major water problem. Water was thrown into camper while driving in the rain, electrical problems 3 times back to Mid State service dept. Never was fixed, yet our son )found it as soon as we described the problem, This week we planned a well earned R & R week, What happens the commode started leaking leaking again & this had been checked by M.S. SERV.DEPT. before the warranty went out. Now we are having to fix the commode leak just a few moments ago a new leak has been found coming into the bedroom from maybe the lavatory. Not related to commode leak. I also would like to say we are not people that do not take care of things, nor are we people that do not live with out the guidance of The Good Lord, we just wanted you to know that we believe we have purchased a poor quality of camper Nothing more. RECOMEND YOUR BRAND OF CAMPERS UNLESS THE GOOD LORD SHOWS US DIFFERENTLY WE WILL BE GETTING ANOTHER BRAND OF CAMPER SHOULD WE BE FINANCIALLY ABLE.
- Sellers, Georgia

2019-10-31 2017 Forest River Surveyor 33KRETS View Listings

The triple slide Surveyor 33KRETS by Forest River features a rear entertainment center. You will love all of the space in the rear of this model! As you enter the trailer, straight in front of you is the bathroom. Inside the bathroom you will find a linen cabinet which is great for storing towels or toiletries, a radius shower, sink, medicine cabinet, and toilet. There is a private entrance door from the bathroom into the bedroom. Inside the bedroom you will find a slide with a king bed with storage below. Across from the bed there is a vanity and along the front wall of the room you will love all of the storage that the wardrobe offers. Proceeding toward the rear of the trailer, you will find a slide with a free-standing dinette and two lounge chairs. Along the opposite side of the trailer there is a slide with a sofa, pantry, refrigerator, and three burner range. The double kitchen sink is located on the l-shaped counter, and you are sure to enjoy all of the extra counter space. Along the rear wall of the trailer there is a large entertainment center, and so much more!
- Fred Townsend, Alabama

2019-10-16 2016 Forest River Surveyor 265RLDS View Listings

I have had this trailer 3 years and have towed it over 7000 miles. Overall we have been very happy with this trailer and have not had any problems, just routine maintenance items. We did have one warranty claim a week after purchase, we noticed a cut in the fabric on the bottom side of one of the rockers. Looked like a knife cut probably happened while un-boxing at the factory. Our dealership contacted Forest River and a new rocker was received within 2 weeks. Again we have nothing but positive feedback to give on this trailer.
- Jake Downey, Tennessee

2019-09-08 2016 Forest River Surveyor 221ST View Listings

We purchased after an absolutely disastrous experience with Aerolite. After camping with the 221ST for the last 3 seasons, my only issue is the size of the shower (I have found a workaround - hence the 4/5 rating). Easy to tow, capacity for cargo is incredible. This has been a dream to camp with (and without) our “late-teen” kids. I wished it was our first RV ! I would recommend this make/model and year to anyone. Happy Camping!
- Scott, Ontario

2019-08-02 2014 Forest River Surveyor 296BHDS View Listings

Good RV. Tows good, camps good, however after 5yrs of ownership I have had to fix more things on it than should have. From the start the door leaked and slide out and I've spent more time redoing the rotted flooring and fixing the walls than camping. The root problem was the chalking job!. Double check your brand new RV from Forest River to save yourself a headache later on down the road. Don't assume anyone to do there job properly. I should be going after Forest River for there lemon of a trailer. However love the layout and look. But I will not be purchasing another one of there products.
- Bob, Michigan

2019-06-16 2012 Forest River Surveyor 303 View Listings

I would never recommend buying a forest river surveyor Camper the floor of the slides leak have to replace at a cost of 5000.00 there were screws missing in the trim of the slides the doors of the cabinets don't line up the outside light stopped working the door of the outside kitchen don't line up so there for it takes two people to close it and that's just some of it.
- Jody, Minnesota

2019-04-05 2017 Forest River Surveyor 220RBS View Listings

Wow, looked so good on paper! Terrible quality and workmanship, everything is failing apart and it's only 6mos old. Arctic package means next to nothing, single pane windows and next to no insulation, only the heated holding tanks help. Never buy one of these!
- Chris Oliver, British Columbia

2019-01-26 2017 Forest River Surveyor 266RLDS View Listings

We have had our Surveyor for about 2 years now. We love this unit. It fits our needs and has been a good unit. There have been the normal amount of issues with trim coming loose but the dealer fixed everything right away and under warranty. The furnace was making a sound like a jack hammer when we first used it. The squirrel cage in the furnace was out of balance, our dealer fixed it under warranty. If you are buying one of these, I strongly recommend the 2nd air unit. We had the dealer install it and we are glad we did. The main unit will not keep the bedroom cool on hot days. Overall we are very happy with this purchase.
- Tim R., Georgia

2018-08-01 2015 Forest River Surveyor 251RKS View Listings

Don’t buy one Forrest River claims customer service is #1 but that is just a marketing line of BS. This trailer looks nice but was manufactured at a plant with poor quality control. We purchased late in the season so it was parked all winter in a covered a area. When we took the plastic off the mattress there was black mild ingrained into the wood under the matress we were told it was our fault as we must have left the vent open. The dealer just shrugged their shoulders when we said the vents where never opened and it was covered all winter. Our first trip in the summer we traveled on a dirt road for 25 killometers when we arrived the interior of the trailer was filled with dust not jus a little it was layered. Had to drive back down the same road so when we got home had to clean the interior again. It took the dealer two attempts to finally fix the issue. The shower was so poorly caulked and sealed it needed to be completely redone. Three exterior trim screws where over tightened and broken and instead of fixing them the heads where basically glued in place to hide the issue. This year we when to convert the table bed as we had our grandkids camping for the weekend and table was too small for the space and could not be used?? I had to build a frame so we could use it. Forrest River never returned any of my calls so I just gave up. Can’t wait to dump this trailer onto someone else
- Mike Hall, Alberta

2018-06-12 2016 Forest River Surveyor 33RETS View Listings

This camper is a beautiful camper what I liked about it was the four big windows on the side of the slide the fireplace and the TV set up easy to pull two . It has chrome wheels on it the only thing different they could’ve did With it They could of timid the roof vent in the kitchen
- Gary Willman, South Dakota

2018-02-09 2014 Forest River Surveyor SC226 View Listings

The Cadet is a great model of the Surveyor family. The two bumpouts make it double wide and rounded ceiling give it extra height. The center island is a nice work station that keeps you connected to others in the space when you are cooking up a meal.The bathroom is spacious. Towing is a breeze with our Ram 1500.
- Cindy Fonger, Massachusetts

2017-11-13 2018 Forest River Surveyor 264RKS View Listings

TERRIBLE MANUFACTURING and no quality control. Handle pools crooked, table bench chair broke at pick-up, just so much that is cheaply done... and I thought I was upgrading. Camped in 20 degree weather.... supposed to have heated floors... NOT. COLD floors and only cold air blowing from vents farthest from heater. I'm stuck with this trailer but I would get rid if it in a heart beat. Not much good calling Forest River... last product of theirs I will buy....
- Greg, Maryland

2017-10-07 2017 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS View Listings

I researched several Months for the best constructed RV for the money and chose the 201RBS. The floor plan is perfect for a couple and has an attractive interior. This trailer pulls very well with a half ton pick up with out a stabilizer or sway bar. This is one of the few trailers with aluminum trusses on 16 inch centers and a PVC top Cabinets are above average in quality. The small slide out utilized the swhintec system and has been flawless. We have had minor issues involving the stereo sound bar and the shower pan is a little soft for a 275 pound person. Dealer support has been the only area that needs improvement.
- Dan, Oklahoma

2017-09-13 2017 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS View Listings

I've owned the camper for 2 months and have 1 - 20 day trip behind me. This is my 6th camper. So far, service from the dealer has been good. Issues to date include: carbon monoxide sensor failed, kitchen faucet failed, the shower wall was not straight causing the shower enclosure to not seal properly. I view these as a supplier issue except for the shower wall. Otherwise, the camper is fine and works well for the 2 of us. My only remaining concern relates to the time required to charge the battery. As we do a lot of camping without electric available, it seems like the battery charges slowly. This may be a function of the on-board power converter. I use a generator 1 hour in the am and 1 hour in the pm when electric is not available. After the 3rd day, the battery is very low before each charge. I tow the camper with a 2007 4Runner with the V8 engine (no longer available) using a weight equalizing hitch. The camper tows well and the 4Runner is not stressed. Overall quality of the camper is good - the cabinetry is superior to any of my prior campers but there are several manufacturers with similar cabinets today. We like the floor plan, storage capacity, appliances and ease of set-up when arriving at a campsite. I'm not sure how I like the electric awning as yet. The spring-loaded one I had on my prior camper seemed to be more substantial and wind resistant.
- Eddy, Virginia

2017-07-08 2015 Forest River Surveyor 264RKS View Listings

Bought this trailer to replace our 24 year old Fleetwood trailer.First time we used it came back slid out slide and corner of frame caught floor and ripped big chunk, shower frame came loose from pan and seals torn because door was crooked. Went to service and found that the front cap had lots of cracks around clearance lights, paint clear coat gone an paint faded, inside ceiling came apart at joints,molding came loose on walls, door in bedroom fell off,large trim on slide came loose (2'), trim that covers screws on outside was junk cracked up,this was all within first year, contacted dealer and Forest River for repair took some time we got cap fixed & painted,inside problems were hit & miss dealer fixed some manufacture said that it was owners responsibility for everything else.This unit gets serviced an waxed twice a year paint shouldn't fail! Here it is year two and the cracks are back on front cap at lights contacted Forest River again said I would have to take back to repair shop that did the original repair to evaluate the problem, I requested that the front cap be replaced can't wait to see what the shop has to say also the rear of trailer paint has failed looks like crap has dark an light spots looks like a 30 year old trailer I'm also requesting that this be addressed & repainted. Was told when we purchased unit that the rifer would work above 6000 ft it seems to have its problems keeps things cold but goes of when in auto mode called dometic they said it wasn't made to work at higher altitudes above 5000'! This trailer has been down more than used,an a big pain in the butt, compared to our 1991 Fleetwood Wilderness there is no comparison old trailer was built to last this oneI dout it will make it to 10 years old! We think this is going to be a yearly problem!If we could do all over, We would have kept the 1991 Wilderness! No comparison!
- Chuck P, California