Forest River Salem RVs Reviews (37)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Mike from Michigan says:

Have you owned any Forest River Salem RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Well I'm not going to say I dislike it, I love the floor plan it has excellent space ergonomics are pretty good for the most part. However the standard of quality and craftsmanship ..... Well now that leaves something to be desired. I understand that this isn't a house but for what I paid for this unit I expected some quality. First of all let me start by telling you this is a brand new 2017 Salem 27RKSS we have used it 3 times. It does not tow well, this is not my towing ability I have been pulling trailers of all shapes and sizes for 30 years. By far this is the worst RV I have ever pulled. I have seen forums that other people are having the same issue and I have seen one other being pulled and he himself was having the same problem. Every time a car or truck would pass you it made the coach swerve all over the road. Mind you I don't tow mine over 60 miles per hour. The other issues I have are quality issues, my seam tape falling off the bathroom wall not to mention they never ever ran it all the way to the ceiling. My draperies falling off the wall from towing it down the highway, and they are hung crooked. I have sawdust and dirt smeared down in the caulking in my shower, the hook for the bedroom door has been knocked off twice because of poor location of mounting. I would move it except I want my warranty to cover it and don't misunderstand I'm not saying they won't or have denied any claims but as I said we have only used it 3 times. There was staples I had to pound in on the booth so it wouldn't rip the fabric on the cushions , our chairs had scratches in them the table top had a big scratch and the one they replaced it with is warped, the blinds won't stay up not to mention when you try to push them up they don't fold right so they're all wrinkled and creased now. I'm sure I have missed a few things but you get the picture. Would I recommend this camper to anyone? Not even a stranger.
- Mike, Michigan

2019-08-13 2014 Forest River Salem 27RLSS View Listings

They're built cheap. It has a thin top roof but it was not installed correctly. Something is wrong if they expect you to keep piling on caulk all around the roof. It's now 6 years old and the screws are rusty. The aluminum skin collects condensation inside the walls and probably rots out the wood. Two of the screws do not screw I to anything and never did! I am not happy with this travel trailer.
- Preston Monaghan, Texas

2019-08-08 2019 Forest River Salem 26DBUD View Listings

We purchased our Salem 26DBUD (first travel trailer we have ever purchased) in the spring of 2019. The service and support we have received from the dealership (Hilltop RV, Escanaba, MI.) has been outstanding. The actual trailer is junk. We have had it in for warranty work at lease three times now. Issues have included but not limited to big bulge in the siding, the face of the slide out is separating from the sides, bent stabilizer jack, several pieces of trim pulled away from the walls, broken screen, broken cabinet face, bottom of kitchen cabinet is pulling up, interior of storage area pulled away from the wall and the insulation falling down from the outside of the trailer. Needless to say these are the things I actually found. It seems like every time we go camping I find more and more issues. We are now contemplating trading this one in for a different brand. I would highly recommend you steer clear of Forest River products unless you like your camper spending more time in the shop then actually camping.
- Jason, Wisconsin

2019-08-05 2002 Forest River Salem 26BH View Listings

I have a 2002 salem lite, it pulls great, and i love the floorplan, but the quality isnt there.while replacing the roof i found many studs and roof trusses were not nailed or screwed down. You could see where they had missed and kept going. That is my biggest reason for the low review. I live in my camper quite often, i use it to travel for work, and keep up all maintaince, an i will say all accessories seem to function well.
- David, Ohio

2019-07-04 2018 Forest River Salem T30QBSS View Listings

Absolutely horrible quality. We have owned this trailer for only a year. So far.. the manual slide crank has fallen off, the front cap is pulling away, The slide gears came disengaged, Slide framing has falled off, Oven backsplash peeling away, Microwave frame has snapped, Steps are VERY loose, The bed platform sags, Wall edging is falling out, Water line screwed threw during manufacturing, Entry door is misaligned, And theres other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting at this point. It is sad and disconcerting. Avoid the Salem or forest river at all cost.
- Mwray8909, California

2019-05-24 2020 Forest River Salem 26DBUD View Listings

This has been an experience I do not wish to repeat. We bought our unit and were excited to take it out on its maiden voyage. We went on a 2200 mile East coast road trip and at EVERY stop we has issues. First the bathroom vanity for fall off and broke. Yes we has the bungee cord on it the whole time. Then the fridge/freezer doors wouldn't stay closed even with the "lock" on. After we lost a half a gallon of orange juice down the vents and all over the whole back of the unit we found a Wal-Mart and bought child locks which solved that issue, but not before the fridge door was dented from the dinette. The bedroom door latch ripped out of the door making the door slam back and forth eventually knocking it off the track and damaging the door and track. There are a lot of little defects that should not be there on a brand new unit including water heater issues. The skylight was cracked we unknowingly bought it like that) and we has water pouring in the shower(thank goodness it was the shower skylight). The icing on the cake was we kept noticing water pooling in the two large window tracks in the slide out after some investigation we found the windows were installed upside down. Yes, we took it back for repairs. No it wasn't to our sanctification, or the dealership's. Forest River came to them and "fixed" it. They took out the windows and turned them around WITH OUT REPLACING THE SEALS! The vanity will not close and hinge looks used and rusted (this is a 2020 unit),the bedroom door is still missing parts, there are missing trim pieces in the bunk area. For the skylight that had running water on the ceiling and down the walls all they did was replace the skylight, not the panelling that got wet. All these things were supposed to be fixed by Forest River. A repair guy from forest river was supposed to come down and never showed up. We went back to the dealership, they kept calling and trying to get someone down for repairs, when they finally did show up they didn't do a professional job. We are working with our dealership to fix the issues because I don't trust Forest River to make it right. If your looking for a 26 DBUD I would definitely say BUYER BEWARE!
- Sarah Danzy, Indiana

2019-04-26 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Forest river are some of the poorest made. Cheap interior and furnishings, falling apart after 2 years. I would look at any other mantfacture. Chairs are breaking dinette cushions are spliting at seams, appliances are the cheapest they could by at a premium price.
- Paul Shelton , California

2019-02-20 2015 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Nothing good to say about Forest River, warranty problems, company does not stand behind their product. Purchased new 5th wheel in 2015, serviced more than we’ve been able to use. Carry a cooler on each trip because refrigerator has failed each time we’ve used our camper. Forest River refuses to replace. Crack in tub, thermostat stopped working, crack in slide, miss match cabinets we didnt discover until we used the camper. Returned to manufacturer, put back through the manufacturing line, returned to us with 3 NEW problems. Unfortunately we didn’t do our homework, impulse purchase at Sport and vacation show.
- Laura Williams, Florida

2019-02-17 2015 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

We have nothing but great comments to say about our Salem and our dealer where we made our purchase. [Dealer] in Hot Springs Arkansas is a First Class Dealership and Service Department.
- BOB THREADGILL, Arkansas

2019-01-19 2014 Forest River Salem 27RLSS View Listings

Very disappointed! Purchased new and there’s only my wife and I using it. Less that 3,000 mile on it and the axles have to be replaced. Our extended warranty will cover the axles. BUT it will not cover the shipping. NOR does it cover the cost of four new tires. Disgusting. Where is pride in workmen’s? Where is be American buy American?
- John Howard , Connecticut

2018-10-22 2015 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

This is like a small apartment on wheels. It's comfortable and livable and has a decent amount of privacy for two people. The only issue is the length: it's long, especially including the truck length.
- CJ, Virginia

2018-10-07 2015 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

He enjoyed are Salem 31 foot trailer the only reason we are getting rid of it is because we are trying to buy a house it is great entertainment for the family very comfortable this is my first Salem trailer but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
- Shari Wymer, Michigan

2018-08-28 2015 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

We are only selling the trailer because we are trying to buy the house very nice for entertaining lots of room for camping the outside kitchen is extra nicely for cooking when you're outside nice stainless steel appliances
- Shari wymer, Michigan

2018-08-07 2015 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Excellent floor plan; just like a little apartment! Super comfortable for a couple with pets. The quality has held up great, and when I had a question about the furnace it was easy to figure out. The only downside is that it's a long camper which sometimes makes parking it an adventure, but I love it!
- Christine, Virginia

2018-06-25 2018 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

We just purchased our new Salem trailer. This is the first time in my life that I must say I feel ripped off. The workmanship is absolutely horrible. I don't know why something like this even gets to leave the factory. There are scratches all over the place. The bathroom fan his crooked and only three screws fastened to the ceiling. One of the seats on the dinning area is not even square. The radio is not working properly.The shelf under the TV area is way off level. I've only had it three weeks and now we find out that there is a leak under the sink. The hot water line was only hand tightened and leaked without notice. Now the floor part of that cabinet is coming apart. I will never ever purchase from this manufacture again.
- Jean Cantin, Ontario

2018-05-31 2018 Forest River Salem 27REI View Listings

after first camping trip the kitchen island had a big water leak in the corner of the island air condioner would not cool down at all kitchen drawer was put on crooked door would seal shut when the weather would get warm after second trip toilet leaked trim around tires falling off trim above chairs falling down trim behind couch falling off shelf in kitchen cabinet fell down already have a parking light out
- michael seymour, Indiana

2018-01-22 2010 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

The trailer is adorable very roomy and lots of storage. I love the full kitchen and bath the appliances also heating Air works good too even in Southern California the slide outs Are electric and that makes it very easy and towing in nice over all I would rate the trailer a 10 plus
- Amanda lazrovich, California

2017-09-16 2008 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

We bought this trailer for a living. It 2008, may be its a normal. But it have some roof leaks. So its a not a big deal fix it. Point of my review is quality of everything, carpet, cabinets, plumbing, electricity, I constantly find interior details and other trailer devices made by the non-professional hands. the interiors of the cabinets are handled with an ax, broken sofas, curved and oblique walls, a rusting frame and a base, something like laid wires and pipes, crookedly nailed to a thousand clips of the edge of the cabinets. staggered dining table, curve and not a tightly closing door. what kind of people did it? Who had the impudence to glue the flag of America on the wall at the entrance with a model of this nightmare on 5 wheels? for whom did this not cheap and not high-quality trailer? Hello! Forest River! Are you out of your mind ?! I saw old trailers about 1984, with more high quality than you made. Its a shame of American trailers market!!!
- Alex, Washington

2017-09-04 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

We had a problem with the air conditioner failure. Dealer replaced under warrantee. Interior and exterior quality just average. Had to caulk corners on roof. There was caulk overaping the tv antenna base which caused the rotation to fail. The long shade by the dinette slide out was installed crooked. A little fishy to pull in a cross wind or when being passed by big rigs at highway speeds. The interior has adequate room for the 4 dogs we travel with. Large kitchen area is nice. There is a blanked off area to the left of the microwave. I removed the panel and installed a 10 x 22 cabinet door which gave me a nice additional cabinet to store tall items. Don't know why this was not standard. Overall what is to be expected for a mid priced travel trailer.
- Frank Neidenbach, Missouri

2017-08-09 2014 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

We bought this RV from someone who used it 3 to 4 times, we got a really good deal on it, but sone things I have noticed. Shades are terrible and have broken when you push them up, the crease and its a pain to get them to follow the folds. The roof had to have some more caulk in areas that was never done. A drain pipe had inproper slope, had to be fixed. The c channel that the stabilizers bolt to had 2 platics nubs that were rubbing on my holding tank, lucky I caught it in time. Inside speakers are not loud enough when watching a dvd, while air is on. It tow's good and all appliances work well.
- Matt, Michigan

2017-08-06 2014 Forest River Salem 25SL View Listings

Siding started pulling away from trailer 1 month after I purchased it. Dealer fixed it that time - now 3 years later and only 5 times being used - siding is coming apart AGAIN! Called Forest River and they will not help me nor will the dealership. Trailer is a piece of junk with terrible build construction! The company Forest River has TERRIBLE customer service - very rude! Do not buy a Forest River product and stay away from Broadmoor RV in Pasco WA. - rip offs!!!
- Michael.Martin, Washington

2017-07-17 2017 Forest River Salem 30KQBSS View Listings

Purchased 5/20/17, drove home, opened to find full of water, contacted Horizon RV, told to use warranty, Horizon RV attempted to fix 2x, still leaked, took to local dealer, tried to fix, still leaks,Forest River offered to buy family jackets, Forest River won't buy back or exchange faulty unit, unit in shop for 5th time, still leaks, no answers. Nice to buy 2017 camper, continue paying insurance and loan, but can't use.
- Courtney Gugin, Georgia

2017-07-04 2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

This trailer has been great for us, It is very comfortable with the a/c or heater on. We are very happy and when we can get another one it will be a Salem. We have used it 3 times in the White Mountains in Arizona and 1 time to Patagonia Lake.
- Lee Brown, Arizona

2017-06-18 2017 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

I bought this trailer late January of 2017, and the dealership I went to was absolutely fantastic; however, the quality of this trailer is crap! First, the hotter it gets out, the worse the door works. It always has to be modified. Second, all the check valves in the plumbing are no good. Third, the axils aren't straight, so it goes crooked. We have problems with the blinds. AND on our recent trip, the siding on the outside came apart from the seams. We tried to pop it back in but the siding was just sooo fragile. Overall, this trailer is a big hunk of crap! I expected a lot better quality for being brand new. We would've been a lot better off buying a used trailer from the 90s, and expecting things to be broke and just fixing them. Instead, we spent a bunch of money on a new one and still have to fix a bunch of stuff. Never again will we go with a new Salem!
- Chelsea, Arizona

2017-04-21 2016 Forest River Salem T26TBUD View Listings

Decent camper, I had expected much better quality for brand spanking new. had issues with paint peeling off of the front cap with in 8 months of ownership has taken 4 months for the dealer to get warranty parts in and still waiting for them to replace it. plumbing leaked at valves by water heater,underbelly insulation gets torn up by the wheels articlating in mild off road condition, as well wheels contacting outer body panels bending and breaking body supports, miscellaneous hardware fails on interior trim and brackets, severe road dust from slide out. Also the election stability Jacks are the worst thing ever, impossible to level and stabilize, I replaced with manual Jacks and no issues. Black tank valve seeeps, always weary of a big sploosh when taking the cap off. Various labeling stickers have peeled and become unreadable after only one year we do lots of camping in this and it's been doing a decent job this trailer has traveled about 4800 miles so far. For the most part our dealer is willing to correct issues with no additional cost. Just a huge pain as the repairs take weeks+to get done no matter how major or minor the repair. Thanks for reading, Carl.
- Carl latimer, Utah