Forest River Salem

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Mike from Michigan says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Well I'm not going to say I dislike it, I love the floor plan it has excellent space ergonomics are pretty good for the most part. However the standard of quality and craftsmanship ..... Well now that leaves something to be desired. I understand that this isn't a house but for what I paid for this unit I expected some quality. First of all let me start by telling you this is a brand new 2017 Salem 27RKSS we have used it 3 times. It does not tow well, this is not my towing ability I have been pulling trailers of all shapes and sizes for 30 years. By far this is the worst RV I have ever pulled. I have seen forums that other people are having the same issue and I have seen one other being pulled and he himself was having the same problem. Every time a car or truck would pass you it made the coach swerve all over the road. Mind you I don't tow mine over 60 miles per hour. The other issues I have are quality issues, my seam tape falling off the bathroom wall not to mention they never ever ran it all the way to the ceiling. My draperies falling off the wall from towing it down the highway, and they are hung crooked. I have sawdust and dirt smeared down in the caulking in my shower, the hook for the bedroom door has been knocked off twice because of poor location of mounting. I would move it except I want my warranty to cover it and don't misunderstand I'm not saying they won't or have denied any claims but as I said we have only used it 3 times. There was staples I had to pound in on the booth so it wouldn't rip the fabric on the cushions , our chairs had scratches in them the table top had a big scratch and the one they replaced it with is warped, the blinds won't stay up not to mention when you try to push them up they don't fold right so they're all wrinkled and creased now. I'm sure I have missed a few things but you get the picture. Would I recommend this camper to anyone? Not even a stranger.
- Mike, Michigan

2021-09-20 2021 Forest river Salem 28VBXL View Listings

I would not buy a forest river unless you buy it new from them and good luck getting one without waiting 6 months. Our camper was built in March 2021 (this year) and the lady we bought it from only used it once and everything still had tags on it. The hot water tank was not even turned on. Come to find out the one year manufacturer warranty does not transfer to the second owner, regardless that it is only six months old. We have had all sorts of trouble with the slide out and they are not doing anything to help or are replacing anything. The guy we took it to said we were going to have all sorts of problems with it thinking it would all be under warranty we were just going to get it fixed come to find out it is not under warranty and they are not doing anything to help fix problem that was made by the manufacture not the customer. I will not be buying another forest river due to how they handle their one-year warranty I can understand if we did something to the slide out to make it not go in and out but you can clearly look at the brackets on the side and see they are not installed properly. Knowing this now I will be looking at the slide out brackets before buying any camper. The brackets are bent and bowed in areas where they catch and do not let the slide out go in and out. Also our slide out is the U-shaped dinette and the couch in the motors they put in the slide out are very small and will need to be replaced with bigger motors over time is what our technician said who worked on the slide out. I did not think asking for a warranty on a camper that is only six months old, even though I’m the second owner, was too much to ask. The Forest River guy just kept saying it is our policy well I think they should revamp their policy if they believe in their product to one year warranty no matter who owns it. I am not satisfied with this product and how the company handles their warranty, and will not be buying from them again. I don’t usually leave reviews but I don’t want this to happen to anyone else because we are spending a lot of money out of pocket to get a camper that is not even 6 months old fixed.
- Laura, Ohio

2021-09-16 2019 Forest River Salem 26DBLE View Listings

Very open spacious Floorplan. Appliances are quality and refrigerator is bigger than most of the small ones you find in rvs. Marble counters and upgraded floors and furniture fabric give the whole look of more luxury.
- Natasha Delucie, Nevada

2021-09-14 2018 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

This has been the best camper. We have a Nissan Titan that pulls this beautifully. This is a perfect camper for a couple, maybe with pets or friends as the pull out couch and kitchen table both make comfortable beds. The Rear kitchen was a MSUT for us and you will love it being apart from the master bedroom. The bathroom and shower are plenty big and there is a ton of storage. We had it for 3 years and would have kept it but have had some life changes that have us going a direction away from camping for right now. We will also be leaving the 2 - 40 inch flatscreens mounted in living area and bedroom and you will love the outside fridge and rear propane grill that is connected to the main line. Water heater is electric but can switch to propane. Setup is a cinch with power levelers that raise and lower with a button, no worrying about getting your power drill out to raise and lower those. Hoestly you won't go wrong with this camper!
- Mark Davis, Ohio

2021-09-06 2021 Forest River Salem 30KQBSS View Listings

Bought this rv early this year and have used it extensively so far. We have owned many campers before this, so this review comes with experience. First off it tows horribly, (i’m a truck driver) the balance of the rv is off. It has way to much sway and any air flow disturbance makes it sway (passing cars, trucks, wind, etc…) Our floor is week the entire length of the camper down the center over the heating duct work. Our black tank sprayer does not work, Nails sticking up through the carpet, bad joints in the rain gutters, paint has already worn off of the knobs on the stove just from use, no room to clean between bathroom sink and shower, loose screws in the windows, kitchen blind had to be fixed, cheap wood framing in the couch had to be reenforced. This is our 3rd Forest River that we’ve owned, but the quality and workmanship has greatly declined. Although we like the design and functionality of the camper, it will be our last Forest river.
- Scott mertzeis, South Carolina

2021-08-23 2019 Forest River Salem T27RKSS View Listings

Have had Forest River Salems in past. This one is just poorly made. Almost like there isn't any "quality control" or thought as to how some items may not stay fastened to the 1/8" panel walls with just a screw.
- James Malloy, Idaho

2021-08-06 2021 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

I bought this 2021 Forest River Salem in May of this year. This is the third time we have used it and while driving on the highway the front half of the underbelly ripped out along the highway. I contacted my dealership who related that due to being several states away I had to contact Salem directly to fix this. I've contacted the warranty department now 5 times, spoke to the warranty guy twice. He could care less about the problem. He related that maybe he could ship the piece of the underbelly to a mobile tech to fix. I found a mobile tech who contact the warranty guy, as instructed from him. The warranty department never returned his call I then called the warranty guy two more times and he has refused to return my calls or update me with anything. The issue I'm now having is driving it with air blowing up under the travel trailer causing possibly more damage to either the floors or walls. I wish someone from the company would contact me back.
- K W, Pennsylvania

2021-07-19 2020 Forest River Salem 22RBS View Listings

We were, I stress, were, happy initially. Then we got it home and noticed all the poor quality in it. A stereo speaker went right away. A lot of wall paper started to peel, A light failed. The screen door was wonky in the frame. And there was caulk smeared all over the slide walls. I made an appt with the dealer who checked it out and made made arrangements to have everything fixed. Thats two trips of 85 miles each way. I returned, they fixed the problems, I went home. I called forest river to complain. I was told , well, thats what a warrenty is for. Really? I traded a twenty year old 5th wheel for a new rig that didn't have these problems. The 12v fridge is a power thief. Don't get one. The tech who fixed the caulk issue left a screw on the floor and when he closed the slide, it ripped the flooring. Now a shelf is falling off the wall and I can't get T.V. stations! Piece of junk. Don't buy one ever.
- Chris Grosskopf, Michigan

2021-07-07 2021 Forest river Salem 28VBXL View Listings

This trailer is an absolute piece of shit less than a year old Siding is coming apart door leaks water inside the camper refrigerator vibrates like crazy craftsmanship on the inside is horrible I will absolutely never buy a forest river camper again!!!
- Kevin Willacker, Michigan

2021-06-23 2021 Forest River Salem 179DBK View Listings

We bought this trailer because we loved the layout and design. As a family of four, the over sized bunk beds were more important for us than a large bathroom, and having a queen sized Murphy bed was a high selling point as well as it maximized interior space. The 2021 model includes a stove which is sunk below counter height in order to give more counter space by putting a cover over the top which makes it level with the counter top (a feature as I will explain later was actually a negative as well). Also it has lots of storage including an outside kitchen with refrigerator, on top of the 12 cu. ft. refrigerator inside. It’s weight (3450 lbs.) is perfect for our SUV which can pull up to 5200 lbs. It has a nice long 14’ awning which is great for this size trailer (19.5 ft. long). So far we’ve found that this trailer meets all our needs. It is small but does everything we need (and then some as we are moving up from a pop up camper). Now for some of the challenges. After owning the trailer for three months we’ve already had four issues with it, having the trailer in the dealership two times. Our hot water heater did not work properly, the shelf in the outdoor kitchen fell off before we even got it home (which we just left off because we appreciated the storage more), the awning motor quit working, and the outdoor kitchen propane hookup didn’t work. Fortunately the trailer is under warranty so we didn’t need to pay for these, but be warned, if you purchased the trailer, like we did, from a dealership several hours away (because it was a great deal), dealerships in your area do not need to service your trailer even if it’s under warranty if you did not buy it from them. Even if you manage to find a dealership which will work on it, they don’t need to prioritize your trailer, but fit it in wherever. Dealerships in our area couldn’t fit us in for several months (yes, months), so we had to take it to a dealership about an hour away which could fit us in in weeks (wasting gas to get it there and back). Lesson is buy your trailer locally even if it costs a bit more. Also we learned that Forest River Salem trailers are made cheaply and we are not sure whether we will purchase another one on the next go around. Now when we go camping we are wondering, “what’s the next thing to break”? And seriously rethinking a big road trip with it as a result. We don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere and have some major go bad.
- Matt Stoll, Michigan

2021-05-19 2020 Forest River Salem 179DB View Listings

Bad: Cheaply made compared to others. Material out of line, scrapes on walls, marks on material, non-working fresh water tank register, microwave hard to open, very noisey fan in conditioner. Window Blind hits dining seat backs, hard to put murphy bed away, cushions slide off bench seats.Good: big fridge, lots of usb ports and plug ins, great lighting, nice awning, big dining window, good storage. Not made for more than 4 people. Wouldnt buy again even for 2 of us. Needs 2nd axel. Not made for extended camping time. Max for us was 5 nights.
- Diane Bierbrauer, Wisconsin

2021-03-23 2020 Forest River Salem 27RE View Listings

Bought a brand new rv, great price, HORRIBLE RV. DO NOT BUY. So many problems after deliver. Stabilizer jacks blow the fuse when used. Fresh water is cracked leaks water. Flooring has ripples everywhere. Hot water heater was leaking. Window seal was falling off. Crack in shower on skylight. I can go On and on. NOW, Forest River will not do any of the warranty. I repeat, do not ever buy a Forest river, the CO'S vision that I read on their website is a joke. All that they care about is money. NO Customer Service.
- Alan R Iezek, Arizona

2021-03-17 2016 Forest River Salem 27RLSS View Listings

We purchased this RV new off the lot and camped with it 3 to 4 times a year and loved the way it pulled along with the space inside with the big slide out. The remote control is what I like the best because I can stand on any side of the RV and lower the stabilizers, put the awning in or out and open or close the slide-out at the touch of a button. This has been a really good camper for us but now it is time to upgrade.
- Jim Driggers, Kansas

2021-03-15 2018 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

The camper has more space than expected. The slide that includes the dinette and sofa makes the space expanded. The overall quality is not top notch but, you get what you pay for. For the money, this camper has great value. Any slide is going to make the camper heavier so the trade off is to use lighter weight material wherever possible. The kitchen faucet was of lower quality and very lightweight so it leaked and we replaced it with a nicer Moen household model. The holding tanks seemed small. We would empty the gray water about 3 to 4 times over a weekend trip. The floorplan is wide open and there is plenty of room for several people to move around and be comfortable. We feel like there could be more storage/cabinet space. We have not had to use all of the triple bunks so we have been able to utilize that area for extra storage. We have towed it with a 6 cylinder F150 and an 8 cylinder Tundra without any problems. The fuel mileage is not the best but that is expected. We did not like the options of dealers in our area so we bought from a dealer about 3 hours away. Any factory or warranty work has been done there. The work was very good but it was a long way to go and took about a month to complete. Overall this is has been a great mid level option with great value and livability.
- Everett, Alabama

2021-02-23 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

Bought this lemon on Feb. 1,2021. I will list the problems. We have only taken it out twice so I am sure more issues will arise. 1. Oustside wall is bulging and coming apart. The wall is next to the chair. Camping world will not fix as they want forest river to fix it. 2. Cable was not hooked up. No cable ran to the cable plate. Camping world said we could pay to have it fixed! After going balistic, Camping World did fix it. 3. Airconditioner only works on low and none of the speeds work. 4. Cabinets hit each other so the wood is chipping. 5. Grit and sand come out to the shower faucet. 6. Refrigerator does not keep food cold. Talked to Forest River customer service. He said sorry, we are cranking these RVs out so fast they are just having so many issues. Did not agree to fix the lemon. DO NOT BUY Forest River Products or from Camping world.
- patssmith50, Florida

2021-02-14 2021 Forest River Salem 178BHSK View Listings

Chose this floor plan due wanting a bunk and needing to stay under 4000 due to towing with our Tacoma. Overall, very nice, but have had to upgrade a few items to make it tolerable (bathroom faucet, expanding shower rod). Also, had to caulk around all edges of shower. Love the slide out, offers lots of room to move. Forest river could have done a few things to make this a way better trailer and likely for a lower build cost. Great trailer if you are handy. Trailer states it sleeps 8, but I think you reasonably could get 5 adults. The full 8 would be if 2 are children under 36". Storage is minimal, but using a rolling tote under lower bunk helps tremendously. Plan on upgrading the murphy bed mattress within the 1st 6-12 months as the foam mattress sags even on a 120 pound person. If you need something small, this is a great choice.
- L. Allphin, North Carolina

2021-02-10 2021 Forest River Salem 24RLXL View Listings

This was my first RV, I bought it in June of 2020 after getting out of the navy. I was looking for something cheap, that I could live in full time. I've owned it for about 7 months now and while I still do love it, the craftsmanship needs to be addressed. The simplest way to put it, whoever is building these are lazy. Aside from things like my outlets and closet door being crooked, I've now found water damage underneath the shower. When they made the shower area, they only sealed it where the shower door meets the paneling, allowing water to get under the paneling and between the wall and shower pan and it has pooled up underneath. Honestly, if the company enforced quality over quantity,I'd have zero issues with it. While I do love my trailer I can say with certainty that I probably won't be buying a forest river again.
- Elijah Sellers, Texas

2021-01-31 2019 Forest River Salem 33TS View Listings

We bought 2 forest river products since 2017 one was the Sun seeker 32 ft. RV with full custom paint almost 90,000 we first had electric issues burnt out outside tv and microwave on second camping trip . On forth camping trip went to hook up water and it started pouring out the side . Lines busted and had to be taken back to dealer again. Only put 1400 miles on which 600 was taking it back to dealer for issues. Finally had dealer sell and dummy me bought a Salem 33 ft 3 slide model well so far the converter box has burnt up and the air went out we had gas leaks the outside speakers are junk brittle have broke already the latest issue is the floor started discoloring a yellow/ orange call the dealer the knew what it was cheap glue coming up through the floor . Won’t fix cause past one year mark?? The first RV I bought a extended warranty this one I didn’t .. my bad forest river doesn’t stand behind their product nor do dealers care. I spent 130,000 in about two years . I won’t buy another forest river product ever!
- Steve blaylock, Ohio

2021-01-30 2020 Forest River Salem 286RL View Listings

Unit manufactured in Oct. 2019, purchased in Nov. 2019. After 3000 miles in 2020was traveling to Florida on 1/1/2021 and had a blowout. Overloaded, don't think so, it something, don't think so. Cheap tires, probably. However, that's not my issue. My problem is; RV dealer ordered parts on 1/4/2021. Four weeks later, no delivery. I was told by "customer service" delay was caused by COVID and could not give a delivery date due to COVID. I am in New York, rig is in Virginia and I have an empty campsite in Florida. I think it's poor management
- Earl Wilser, New York

2021-01-28 2020 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

We love this camper. My husband says it pulls nicely. The versa lounge is great to open up the sitting area. We love the privacy of the bunk room. We have had a few issues within our first year but the warranty department has been great with Salem. They have fixed everything that working right or broke. High recommend.
- Leah Reitano, North Carolina

2021-01-24 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

My wife and I have been looking to buy our second RV, so we decided to go with another forest river, they look nice until you take a closer look, then you will find that there are many faults in every part of the workmanship, from missing painted spots to scratch walls and crooked bed frame. We took our new RV for a ride and the second trip we got home with the front window completely shattered , it has been 2 months since the incident and the manufacture just approved the replacement but we will have to wait 2 more months for the window to be replaced.
- Jorge, Arizona

2021-01-22 2019 Forest River Salem 27REI View Listings

Warranty will never return or answer calls. Floor is turning yellow, kitchen table mounts broke, led light on slide out broke, oven light broke, bathroom leaks, studs crossthreaded on tire, trim falling off, awning motor takes 2 years to go back in, roof peeling back on the front,and they seem not to care about any of it. Used it 3 times.
- Glenn boyer, Virginia

2021-01-04 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

I purchased my travel trailer two months ago. Used it at the Camping World campground where I purchased it. Used it again two weeks later after that. On Dec 17th my family and I made our way from North Carolina to Arizona to visit our son for Christmas. This was mainly the reason why we purchased this travel trailer. However, after the first night we started having trouble with our slide out. It would only go out so far and then nothing. Finally got it out on night two and just under way on night three. We contacted Camping World in Amarillo, Texas and they could not help us for another few months. Luckily we found a local dealer to help with the issue. They got the slide out back on track but informed us about it needing new tracks. We never tried to open the slide until we got to our destination at Luke Air Force Base. After arriving on the 23rd I tried to move the slide out again and only went halfway out and now it will not retract back in. My wife and I have been trying to get someone to help with our slide in out. Forest River got me in touch with Tech support. He walked me through the trouble shooting procedures for the slide out. Nothing worked. Roadside assistance gave me numbers to mobile techs but no one answered or returned my call. Called customer service again after they started back after the new year and informing them about my situation yet again and all I got was silence and nothing more. With a company as big as this, one would think they will try to help their consumers. Especially since this travel trailer was put together so poorly. Now the slide out is not the only problem with this travel trailer. There is so much more. But the slide out is the most important issue because now I am stuck with my slide out halfway out and will not retract. So now I am having to find a way to get this back in to go home. Will never buy from this company again.
- Timothy Bingham, North Carolina

2020-12-09 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

The window over the counter leaked so bad thru the frame the water ran down the wall into the front storage compartment. The gutter drains were installed wrong by the factory. And my brand new canvas has a hole in it. Took over 55 days to get replacement window. Camping world of myrtle beach kept my camper almost 2 months. Never offered a temporary fix or rental trailer. I missed 2 trips because of them.
- James Brosen, South Carolina

2020-12-04 2018 Forest River Salem 27REI View Listings

the layout was great.....perfect....bought new....and for 2 years had nothing but problems from water heater to lights that would not go on.....to the slide out going out but not in.................the side buldged out when driving....over a 24 month time was in for repairs for 12 months total. the support from Forest River....Lippert motor......were great being out side the warranty... but will never buy a FOREST RIVER rv again.
- d.c., Texas