Forest River Salem Reviews on RV Insider (67)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Mike from Michigan says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Well I'm not going to say I dislike it, I love the floor plan it has excellent space ergonomics are pretty good for the most part. However the standard of quality and craftsmanship ..... Well now that leaves something to be desired. I understand that this isn't a house but for what I paid for this unit I expected some quality. First of all let me start by telling you this is a brand new 2017 Salem 27RKSS we have used it 3 times. It does not tow well, this is not my towing ability I have been pulling trailers of all shapes and sizes for 30 years. By far this is the worst RV I have ever pulled. I have seen forums that other people are having the same issue and I have seen one other being pulled and he himself was having the same problem. Every time a car or truck would pass you it made the coach swerve all over the road. Mind you I don't tow mine over 60 miles per hour. The other issues I have are quality issues, my seam tape falling off the bathroom wall not to mention they never ever ran it all the way to the ceiling. My draperies falling off the wall from towing it down the highway, and they are hung crooked. I have sawdust and dirt smeared down in the caulking in my shower, the hook for the bedroom door has been knocked off twice because of poor location of mounting. I would move it except I want my warranty to cover it and don't misunderstand I'm not saying they won't or have denied any claims but as I said we have only used it 3 times. There was staples I had to pound in on the booth so it wouldn't rip the fabric on the cushions , our chairs had scratches in them the table top had a big scratch and the one they replaced it with is warped, the blinds won't stay up not to mention when you try to push them up they don't fold right so they're all wrinkled and creased now. I'm sure I have missed a few things but you get the picture. Would I recommend this camper to anyone? Not even a stranger.
- Mike, Michigan

2021-02-23 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

Bought this lemon on Feb. 1,2021. I will list the problems. We have only taken it out twice so I am sure more issues will arise. 1. Oustside wall is bulging and coming apart. The wall is next to the chair. Camping world will not fix as they want forest river to fix it. 2. Cable was not hooked up. No cable ran to the cable plate. Camping world said we could pay to have it fixed! After going balistic, Camping World did fix it. 3. Airconditioner only works on low and none of the speeds work. 4. Cabinets hit each other so the wood is chipping. 5. Grit and sand come out to the shower faucet. 6. Refrigerator does not keep food cold. Talked to Forest River customer service. He said sorry, we are cranking these RVs out so fast they are just having so many issues. Did not agree to fix the lemon. DO NOT BUY Forest River Products or from Camping world.
- patssmith50, Florida

2021-02-14 2021 Forest River Salem 178BHSK View Listings

Chose this floor plan due wanting a bunk and needing to stay under 4000 due to towing with our Tacoma. Overall, very nice, but have had to upgrade a few items to make it tolerable (bathroom faucet, expanding shower rod). Also, had to caulk around all edges of shower. Love the slide out, offers lots of room to move. Forest river could have done a few things to make this a way better trailer and likely for a lower build cost. Great trailer if you are handy. Trailer states it sleeps 8, but I think you reasonably could get 5 adults. The full 8 would be if 2 are children under 36". Storage is minimal, but using a rolling tote under lower bunk helps tremendously. Plan on upgrading the murphy bed mattress within the 1st 6-12 months as the foam mattress sags even on a 120 pound person. If you need something small, this is a great choice.
- L. Allphin, North Carolina

2021-02-10 2021 Forest River Salem 24RLXL View Listings

This was my first RV, I bought it in June of 2020 after getting out of the navy. I was looking for something cheap, that I could live in full time. I've owned it for about 7 months now and while I still do love it, the craftsmanship needs to be addressed. The simplest way to put it, whoever is building these are lazy. Aside from things like my outlets and closet door being crooked, I've now found water damage underneath the shower. When they made the shower area, they only sealed it where the shower door meets the paneling, allowing water to get under the paneling and between the wall and shower pan and it has pooled up underneath. Honestly, if the company enforced quality over quantity,I'd have zero issues with it. While I do love my trailer I can say with certainty that I probably won't be buying a forest river again.
- Elijah Sellers, Texas

2021-01-28 2020 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

We love this camper. My husband says it pulls nicely. The versa lounge is great to open up the sitting area. We love the privacy of the bunk room. We have had a few issues within our first year but the warranty department has been great with Salem. They have fixed everything that working right or broke. High recommend.
- Leah Reitano, North Carolina

2021-01-24 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

My wife and I have been looking to buy our second RV, so we decided to go with another forest river, they look nice until you take a closer look, then you will find that there are many faults in every part of the workmanship, from missing painted spots to scratch walls and crooked bed frame. We took our new RV for a ride and the second trip we got home with the front window completely shattered , it has been 2 months since the incident and the manufacture just approved the replacement but we will have to wait 2 more months for the window to be replaced.
- Jorge, Arizona

2021-01-22 2019 Forest River Salem 27REI View Listings

Warranty will never return or answer calls. Floor is turning yellow, kitchen table mounts broke, led light on slide out broke, oven light broke, bathroom leaks, studs crossthreaded on tire, trim falling off, awning motor takes 2 years to go back in, roof peeling back on the front,and they seem not to care about any of it. Used it 3 times.
- Glenn boyer, Virginia

2021-01-04 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

I purchased my travel trailer two months ago. Used it at the Camping World campground where I purchased it. Used it again two weeks later after that. On Dec 17th my family and I made our way from North Carolina to Arizona to visit our son for Christmas. This was mainly the reason why we purchased this travel trailer. However, after the first night we started having trouble with our slide out. It would only go out so far and then nothing. Finally got it out on night two and just under way on night three. We contacted Camping World in Amarillo, Texas and they could not help us for another few months. Luckily we found a local dealer to help with the issue. They got the slide out back on track but informed us about it needing new tracks. We never tried to open the slide until we got to our destination at Luke Air Force Base. After arriving on the 23rd I tried to move the slide out again and only went halfway out and now it will not retract back in. My wife and I have been trying to get someone to help with our slide in out. Forest River got me in touch with Tech support. He walked me through the trouble shooting procedures for the slide out. Nothing worked. Roadside assistance gave me numbers to mobile techs but no one answered or returned my call. Called customer service again after they started back after the new year and informing them about my situation yet again and all I got was silence and nothing more. With a company as big as this, one would think they will try to help their consumers. Especially since this travel trailer was put together so poorly. Now the slide out is not the only problem with this travel trailer. There is so much more. But the slide out is the most important issue because now I am stuck with my slide out halfway out and will not retract. So now I am having to find a way to get this back in to go home. Will never buy from this company again.
- Timothy Bingham, North Carolina

2020-12-09 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

The window over the counter leaked so bad thru the frame the water ran down the wall into the front storage compartment. The gutter drains were installed wrong by the factory. And my brand new canvas has a hole in it. Took over 55 days to get replacement window. Camping world of myrtle beach kept my camper almost 2 months. Never offered a temporary fix or rental trailer. I missed 2 trips because of them.

2020-12-04 2018 Forest River Salem 27REI View Listings

the layout was great.....perfect....bought new....and for 2 years had nothing but problems from water heater to lights that would not go on.....to the slide out going out but not in.................the side buldged out when driving....over a 24 month time was in for repairs for 12 months total. the support from Forest River....Lippert motor......were great being out side the warranty... but will never buy a FOREST RIVER rv again.
- d.c., Texas

2020-11-27 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

Leaked from the factory. Window over the sink and stove leaked so bad the water ran across the counter down the wall into the front storage compartment. The awning leaked right onto the door handle and keyhole. The gutter diversion drains were installed wrong allowing water to run down the aluminum panels leaving marks in the paint. After Camping World took it in service October 9th 2020 I was told they were waiting for factory authorization. After 3 weeks I called the factory and was told they just got the work order. They told me they only cover water damage a year but would help to expedite the window. What liars. Here it is November 27th and I hear it is almost done.

2020-11-12 2021 Forest River Salem 33TS View Listings

Just finished my first trip in our new camper. Before we left had to get outside kitchen plumbing fixed. Hot, cold and drain all leaked. Bunk room door will not latch, curtains have pin holes in several of them, black water rinse leaking somewhere in the belly, the galley holding tank is only for a clothes washer that we will never use leaving all gray water going into one tank. Why wasn’t it plumbed for galley since it’s clearly labeled galley? Simple things like coax labels were put on backwards. We had to order the camper and wait for it to be built certainly thought they’d have done a much better job with all the time it took. Not happy with our camper or the factory that produced it. I’ll have to see how company backs its product.
- Danny Smith, Arkansas

2020-11-11 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

Like the looks. Like the floor plan. Love how it tows. Found out in first week the window over the kitchen sink and stove leake bad. Water down the wall into front storage compartment. The corner drains for gutters are installed wrong. Rain water runs down the sides leaving marks. The awning open or closed directly leaks onto the key and latch of the entrance door. It's been in the repair shop since October 9th 2020. I already made 2 payments and haven't been able to use it. I spoke to a few people at customer service but nothing but stories about how they would expedite my parts and okay my labor. That was in October now my parts are coming on November 16th, but they want to patch my Brand New Awning. Never Again! In less than 2 weeks I found installing the cable for tv I lost FM reception. The window over the stove and sink counter leaks so bad I had water in my front storage compartment. The rain also comes down on the key lock and handle of the entrance door from awning. The rain gutters have corner extensions that aren't installed correctly, allowing the water to run down the aluminum leaving Mark's. When I talked to the customer service I was told by so many people how sorry the were and would get my parts expedited. Liars! My window will be arriving on the 16 of November. This all started and my camper has been in the shop since Oct 9. Also my water damage, forget about it. One year warranty even if it's proven to leak before you get to use it. Never again Forest River.

2020-10-12 2021 Forest River Salem 181RT View Listings

We recently bought this forest river salem fsx 181rt from a major dealer in ohio Jeff couch's RV. When it was shipped to us I found many problems right away. Apparently they don't have quality control. My refrigerator was dented in 3 places, toilet was scratched severely, poor craftsmanship throughout. My blackwater tank wasn't secured properly, there was blood in the shower and bathroom door! It looks like they threw it together overnight. Everyone is "so sorry" but don't seem to want to do much about it. We will never buy another one.
- tonybowne, South Carolina

2020-10-07 2019 Forest River Salem 30KQBSS View Listings

Overall, the unit is very good for the price. There are a few workmanship issues, but anyone with a little bit of skill can easily remedy them. It tows very well with my F-250 and Anderson hitch. No sway issues at all up to about 70 mph. Vast amounts of storage and the large outdoor kitchen is very useable. AC works fine up to about 95 degrees, heat easily keeps up.
- Frank D., Oklahoma

2020-09-29 2020 Forest River Salem 26DBUD View Listings

Bought our 2020 DBUD in February. Our first trip was 5 days. Since then we’ve only done local weekend camping. I have minor complaints on the unit. #1 bunk house and master bed mattresses suck! Even with a topper it’s pretty bad. Positive; Storage isn’t a problem and having the 2nd exterior bathroom door is a plus. We pull ours with a 1/2 ton truck with the WDH and pulls great. Gets a bit crowded with 3 three teenagers and 2 adults. This unit is great for just 2 or if you have little ones. That is all.
- Ed, California

2020-08-15 2018 Forest River Salem 28RLSS View Listings

Comes with Two HD TVs rain canopy over slide out. Two recliners foldout couch , high quality mattress air conditioning ,furnace ,shower. Many windows . Need to sell for health reasons . Has a three way refrigerator .
- Mike Appleby, New York

2020-08-10 2017 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

air conditioner doesn't keep up, boards on the sinks bow and undersink came apart, slide rood leaks, slide floor coming apart, vent on side came apart after first uses, toilet seal had to be replace after 10 times used, drawer under sofa bracket came off and the lock had to be replaced. These proplems came after only 10 times used. I contacted the company and was told we can't help you its out of warranty. Don't buy one.
- Christina Waugh , Pennsylvania

2020-08-10 2018 Forest River Salem 27DBUD View Listings

The layout is decent enough but I'll breakdown my likes/ and dislikes. I have had no big issues with it so far, 1 1/2 years of camping 4-7 days at a time, once a month. Design: I like the room the slide adds to the living space. Restroom could be a touch bigger for changing, hatch on drivers side is 9" tall, inside space is 20" tall - wasted space. Should come with a ladder installed for roof access. Build quality: There are too many things to list but I'll catch a few. My first trip I had to move my camper because the 30Amp power cord was in a knot in the holding area from the factory and would not reach the outlet, sawdust in the floor vents, bad alignment on cabinets to walls, door catches falling off, sharp corners on kitchen table, blinds fall down from crooked mount every time we tow... I feel like this is the camper they have the new employees work on to prove they can handle the nicer campers. This is my third camper, and my first real let down every time I take a closer look. It's not a bad camper, it was just built poorly.
- Rob Perkins, Illinois

2020-07-21 2018 Forest River Salem 27DBUD View Listings

Love the RV, easy pull and good floor plan. We have not been able to use enough because of surgeries and bad health. And we have more surgeries in the way in the fall. Includes many accessories: sway bar hitch, TV, satellite dish.
- Scott Talley, Texas

2020-07-19 2017 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

Ac doesn't keep up, slide out floor is falling off, toilet seal bad,vent cover fall off, slide out roof leaks, bathroom to hot and this rv has only been used 6 times. I am NOT HAPPY AND WILL NEVER BUY A FOREST RIVER SALEM AGAIN.
- Christina Waugh , Pennsylvania

2020-07-18 2018 Forest River Salem 28RLSS View Listings

We love our Forest River Salem. High quality mattress , Furnace and A/C work great. The music system is very modern and high tech , Bluetooth with four inside speakers and two outside. Comes with remote to control everything. Roomy living room and nice shower and bathroom . Lots of storage in kitchen. The GVWR is 7400 which is very light for a 32 footer.
- Mike, New York

2020-06-10 2019 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Overall I'm pretty happy with this purchase. I only gave it 4 stars on quality, but that's just because overall RV trailers are meant to be light, so things always seem slightly cheap. Not sure how the table cushions will hold up, seems after a bit of use they are a bit wrinkly and look older than 3 weekends out. Bought this at the end of last year and only used it 3 times so far. Last time we had it out was the first time we used the slider in rain and it was pouring in one of the windows. Just got back from the dealer and they said the window was installed upside down. They fixed it and tested for leaks and said it's good to go. Other than that we've had no issues besides an exterior trim screw that was stripped out and the siding was flopping a bit. We knew this was a display model they took to shows so I figured their may be a few little things like that anyways. We were looking for a smaller model, but we just love this floorplan with the rear kitchen. So much room for nights or rainy days when you have 4 or 5 guests and are forced to be inside. Sleeps 6 fine with the pull-out couch and 2 recliners.
- Justin Felce, Wisconsin

2020-05-27 2020 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

Great layout for our family of 6 and 2 dogs. The fridge inside is nice and big. The bunk area is great with the ability to close the kids in and lets them sleep. Perfect design and layout in my opinion and this is my 3rd trailer. Outside kitchen is great withe metal counter so I never have to worry about rot or anything. I've only stayed in a seasonal spot with this and leave the slides out from April to October. So far I've owned it for 10 months and 1 winter.
- Mike Wrobo, Illinois

2020-03-11 2015 Forest River Salem 30QBSS View Listings

We loved the floor plan. Worked well for our family, however, we have had nothing but trouble with it since pulling it off the lot! The quality is very poor. Three months after purchase, awning lights had to be replaced, had multiple water leaks because of the shoddy plumbing work. Second time sent in for repairs because the microwave was coming out: cause - loose screws, electircl plug plates were coming off too. Main issue we still have is electrical that causes problems with the ac as well as shorting out fuses. Wouldn't recommend this camper to anyone! Terrible purchase.
- Danell Sebek, Texas