Forest River Salem Reviews on RV Insider (57)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Mike from Michigan says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Well I'm not going to say I dislike it, I love the floor plan it has excellent space ergonomics are pretty good for the most part. However the standard of quality and craftsmanship ..... Well now that leaves something to be desired. I understand that this isn't a house but for what I paid for this unit I expected some quality. First of all let me start by telling you this is a brand new 2017 Salem 27RKSS we have used it 3 times. It does not tow well, this is not my towing ability I have been pulling trailers of all shapes and sizes for 30 years. By far this is the worst RV I have ever pulled. I have seen forums that other people are having the same issue and I have seen one other being pulled and he himself was having the same problem. Every time a car or truck would pass you it made the coach swerve all over the road. Mind you I don't tow mine over 60 miles per hour. The other issues I have are quality issues, my seam tape falling off the bathroom wall not to mention they never ever ran it all the way to the ceiling. My draperies falling off the wall from towing it down the highway, and they are hung crooked. I have sawdust and dirt smeared down in the caulking in my shower, the hook for the bedroom door has been knocked off twice because of poor location of mounting. I would move it except I want my warranty to cover it and don't misunderstand I'm not saying they won't or have denied any claims but as I said we have only used it 3 times. There was staples I had to pound in on the booth so it wouldn't rip the fabric on the cushions , our chairs had scratches in them the table top had a big scratch and the one they replaced it with is warped, the blinds won't stay up not to mention when you try to push them up they don't fold right so they're all wrinkled and creased now. I'm sure I have missed a few things but you get the picture. Would I recommend this camper to anyone? Not even a stranger.
- Mike, Michigan

2020-11-12 2021 Forest River Salem 33TS View Listings

Just finished my first trip in our new camper. Before we left had to get outside kitchen plumbing fixed. Hot, cold and drain all leaked. Bunk room door will not latch, curtains have pin holes in several of them, black water rinse leaking somewhere in the belly, the galley holding tank is only for a clothes washer that we will never use leaving all gray water going into one tank. Why wasn’t it plumbed for galley since it’s clearly labeled galley? Simple things like coax labels were put on backwards. We had to order the camper and wait for it to be built certainly thought they’d have done a much better job with all the time it took. Not happy with our camper or the factory that produced it. I’ll have to see how company backs its product.
- Danny Smith, Arkansas

2020-11-11 2021 Forest River Salem 171RBXL View Listings

Like the looks. Like the floor plan. Love how it tows. Found out in first week the window over the kitchen sink and stove leake bad. Water down the wall into front storage compartment. The corner drains for gutters are installed wrong. Rain water runs down the sides leaving marks. The awning open or closed directly leaks onto the key and latch of the entrance door. It's been in the repair shop since October 9th 2020. I already made 2 payments and haven't been able to use it. I spoke to a few people at customer service but nothing but stories about how they would expedite my parts and okay my labor. That was in October now my parts are coming on November 16th, but they want to patch my Brand New Awning. Never Again! In less than 2 weeks I found installing the cable for tv I lost FM reception. The window over the stove and sink counter leaks so bad I had water in my front storage compartment. The rain also comes down on the key lock and handle of the entrance door from awning. The rain gutters have corner extensions that aren't installed correctly, allowing the water to run down the aluminum leaving Mark's. When I talked to the customer service I was told by so many people how sorry the were and would get my parts expedited. Liars! My window will be arriving on the 16 of November. This all started and my camper has been in the shop since Oct 9. Also my water damage, forget about it. One year warranty even if it's proven to leak before you get to use it. Never again Forest River.
- James Brosen, South Carolina

2020-10-12 2021 Forest River Salem 181RT View Listings

We recently bought this forest river salem fsx 181rt from a major dealer in ohio Jeff couch's RV. When it was shipped to us I found many problems right away. Apparently they don't have quality control. My refrigerator was dented in 3 places, toilet was scratched severely, poor craftsmanship throughout. My blackwater tank wasn't secured properly, there was blood in the shower and bathroom door! It looks like they threw it together overnight. Everyone is "so sorry" but don't seem to want to do much about it. We will never buy another one.
- tonybowne, South Carolina

2020-10-07 2019 Forest River Salem 30KQBSS View Listings

Overall, the unit is very good for the price. There are a few workmanship issues, but anyone with a little bit of skill can easily remedy them. It tows very well with my F-250 and Anderson hitch. No sway issues at all up to about 70 mph. Vast amounts of storage and the large outdoor kitchen is very useable. AC works fine up to about 95 degrees, heat easily keeps up.
- Frank D., Oklahoma

2020-09-29 2020 Forest River Salem 26DBUD View Listings

Bought our 2020 DBUD in February. Our first trip was 5 days. Since then we’ve only done local weekend camping. I have minor complaints on the unit. #1 bunk house and master bed mattresses suck! Even with a topper it’s pretty bad. Positive; Storage isn’t a problem and having the 2nd exterior bathroom door is a plus. We pull ours with a 1/2 ton truck with the WDH and pulls great. Gets a bit crowded with 3 three teenagers and 2 adults. This unit is great for just 2 or if you have little ones. That is all.
- Ed, California

2020-08-15 2018 Forest River Salem 28RLSS View Listings

Comes with Two HD TVs rain canopy over slide out. Two recliners foldout couch , high quality mattress air conditioning ,furnace ,shower. Many windows . Need to sell for health reasons . Has a three way refrigerator .
- Mike Appleby, New York

2020-08-10 2017 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

air conditioner doesn't keep up, boards on the sinks bow and undersink came apart, slide rood leaks, slide floor coming apart, vent on side came apart after first uses, toilet seal had to be replace after 10 times used, drawer under sofa bracket came off and the lock had to be replaced. These proplems came after only 10 times used. I contacted the company and was told we can't help you its out of warranty. Don't buy one.
- Christina Waugh , Pennsylvania

2020-08-10 2018 Forest River Salem 27DBUD View Listings

The layout is decent enough but I'll breakdown my likes/ and dislikes. I have had no big issues with it so far, 1 1/2 years of camping 4-7 days at a time, once a month. Design: I like the room the slide adds to the living space. Restroom could be a touch bigger for changing, hatch on drivers side is 9" tall, inside space is 20" tall - wasted space. Should come with a ladder installed for roof access. Build quality: There are too many things to list but I'll catch a few. My first trip I had to move my camper because the 30Amp power cord was in a knot in the holding area from the factory and would not reach the outlet, sawdust in the floor vents, bad alignment on cabinets to walls, door catches falling off, sharp corners on kitchen table, blinds fall down from crooked mount every time we tow... I feel like this is the camper they have the new employees work on to prove they can handle the nicer campers. This is my third camper, and my first real let down every time I take a closer look. It's not a bad camper, it was just built poorly.
- Rob Perkins, Illinois

2020-07-21 2018 Forest River Salem 27DBUD View Listings

Love the RV, easy pull and good floor plan. We have not been able to use enough because of surgeries and bad health. And we have more surgeries in the way in the fall. Includes many accessories: sway bar hitch, TV, satellite dish.
- Scott Talley, Texas

2020-07-19 2017 Forest River Salem 26TBUD View Listings

Ac doesn't keep up, slide out floor is falling off, toilet seal bad,vent cover fall off, slide out roof leaks, bathroom to hot and this rv has only been used 6 times. I am NOT HAPPY AND WILL NEVER BUY A FOREST RIVER SALEM AGAIN.
- Christina Waugh , Pennsylvania

2020-07-18 2018 Forest River Salem 28RLSS View Listings

We love our Forest River Salem. High quality mattress , Furnace and A/C work great. The music system is very modern and high tech , Bluetooth with four inside speakers and two outside. Comes with remote to control everything. Roomy living room and nice shower and bathroom . Lots of storage in kitchen. The GVWR is 7400 which is very light for a 32 footer.
- Mike, New York

2020-06-10 2019 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

Overall I'm pretty happy with this purchase. I only gave it 4 stars on quality, but that's just because overall RV trailers are meant to be light, so things always seem slightly cheap. Not sure how the table cushions will hold up, seems after a bit of use they are a bit wrinkly and look older than 3 weekends out. Bought this at the end of last year and only used it 3 times so far. Last time we had it out was the first time we used the slider in rain and it was pouring in one of the windows. Just got back from the dealer and they said the window was installed upside down. They fixed it and tested for leaks and said it's good to go. Other than that we've had no issues besides an exterior trim screw that was stripped out and the siding was flopping a bit. We knew this was a display model they took to shows so I figured their may be a few little things like that anyways. We were looking for a smaller model, but we just love this floorplan with the rear kitchen. So much room for nights or rainy days when you have 4 or 5 guests and are forced to be inside. Sleeps 6 fine with the pull-out couch and 2 recliners.
- Justin Felce, Wisconsin

2020-05-27 2020 Forest River Salem 31KQBTS View Listings

Great layout for our family of 6 and 2 dogs. The fridge inside is nice and big. The bunk area is great with the ability to close the kids in and lets them sleep. Perfect design and layout in my opinion and this is my 3rd trailer. Outside kitchen is great withe metal counter so I never have to worry about rot or anything. I've only stayed in a seasonal spot with this and leave the slides out from April to October. So far I've owned it for 10 months and 1 winter.
- Mike Wrobo, Illinois

2020-03-11 2015 Forest River Salem 30QBSS View Listings

We loved the floor plan. Worked well for our family, however, we have had nothing but trouble with it since pulling it off the lot! The quality is very poor. Three months after purchase, awning lights had to be replaced, had multiple water leaks because of the shoddy plumbing work. Second time sent in for repairs because the microwave was coming out: cause - loose screws, electircl plug plates were coming off too. Main issue we still have is electrical that causes problems with the ac as well as shorting out fuses. Wouldn't recommend this camper to anyone! Terrible purchase.
- Danell Sebek, Texas

2019-12-11 2015 Forest River Salem T30KQBSS View Listings

Worse purchase I have ever made. Bought brand new and the quality is horrible. On the outside there is glue everywhere. On every window frame, door frame. All the trim. When putting the slide out it pulls the window trim off. All the trim on the inside covering any joint is cut short. There is a piece on wood sticking out of the side window, can not remove because they put a screw from the window frame through it. Trim around table is cut short and not attached exposing the wood frame. Back screen is broke. Tub not even caulked. Outlets on crooked. Nicks and dings everywhere. Dealer sanded numerous spots on the walls and tried fixing as spots. Would be a lemon if it was a motor vehicle. DO NOT EVER BUY A FOREST RIVER RV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Steve, Ohio

2019-11-03 2001 Forest River Salem T26 View Listings

2001 Salem T26 Travel Trailer Are you looking for a travel trailer to take the family out to make memories or just to have a good time in? Look no further this trailer is very spacious and is in Good Condition. Rear Bedroom with queen size bed separated by a BIG bathroom in center with very big cabinets, shower, sink and toilet. Living room area includes a couch that slides out, rocking chair and entertainment center. The Kitchen has plenty of cabinets and counter space, booth style table, refrigerator, microwave and stove/oven all in good condition. Air conditioner/heater through out. Also included 2 newer Batteries and 2 propane tanks. Registration is up to date. This travel trailer is Clean and ready to go! MUST SEE!
- Christie, California

2019-10-02 2019 Forest River Salem 26DBLE View Listings

We have a 2019 Salem 26DBLE. 1. From the start, this unit has been a problem child. After towing it 3 hours home, we had a hard time opening the door. Then it would not close. Apparently, the solid step that folds into the doorway was not securely attached and bounced back and forth providing an unwanted adjustment to the door frame. Called our dealer and they said to just beat on the door frame with a hammer. 2. Installed a TV. The antenna did not work. After doing a little trouble shooting, we found a bad connection in the head unit on the roof. 3. This unit was to be pre-wired for a rear Furrion camera. When I went to install the camera the wiring was either never installed or no longer accessible. 4.The bathroom mirror frame came apart. Was replaced as a warranty claim. 5. We currently have a hot skin issue when plugged into shore power. It occurs when the solid step is down on the ground. No issue if we put a mat under the step. 6. Kitchen window is now leaking. 7. Now the brakes are no longer working properly. With brake controller set a max gain the trailer brakes barley engage. I Jacked up the trailer and preformed the manual brake adjustment process on each wheel. No difference. Tested with 3 different tow vehicles with the same results. I contacted Forrest River Customer Service asking for suggestions. The response I got back from a Customer Service Rep was: “I apologize that you are having this issue with your camper. Unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions as I don’t work on the units myself. Did you happen to get it back to your selling dealer so they could take a look and reach out to their warranty rep here if necessary?” I responded that my selling dealer is 3 hours away and I had no plans to tow the trailer that far without properly functioning brakes. I have received no reply. The poor quality of their Customer Server matches the poor quality of their product.
- Fred, Michigan

2019-09-23 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

We have had a couple of issues. Air conditioner quit but was replaced at 0 cost by warantee. Love rear kitchen but worry about all that weight rear of the axels. Microwave had a blank panel next to it which I made into another cabinet by adding a door. Dont know why this was not done at the factory. No other problems except minor things that are expected. Made some mods like a door jam and lock for bedroom door, hinged access doors for water heater bypass access, hinged door for furnace access, furnace filter rack and filter (for dog hair) and shelves in bedroom closets. Other than a few minor things are happy with trailer. Construction quality could be better but not unexpected.
- Frank Neidenbach, Missouri

2019-09-05 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS View Listings

2016 32BHDS DO NOT BUY!!! These trailers are so poorly made it almost makes you wonder if they tried it. Craftsmanship is incredibly poor. Once you use it a couple of times you realize that you had the wool pulled over your eyes. Had a sink faucet brake off water everywhere, trim pulling away from walls, doors needing adjusted to work properly, grill in back completely rusted out and unusable in 2 years. Bed hinges broke, shades falling off. 3 leaks in camper when it rains.Not to mention the junk Chinese tires that blow out on you. Had 3 blowouts in under 200 miles.do yourselves a favor and don't make the mistake we did, stay away from Forest River. Hope the salesman enjoyed his commission because he'll never get another one from me.
- Cam, Pennsylvania

2019-09-01 2016 Forest River Salem 191RDXL View Listings

Definitely wouldn't recommend buying this model of trailer,since we got it two years ago everything has literally been falling apart the fridge, the furniture started peeling, the Dinette table got wobbly, there's always sawdust coming out of everywhere, they didn't screw some of the furniture in right, the seats wore out super fast it's just extremely poor quality and I would never ever purchase this again. The RV place we went to also sold us on some warranty that literally doesn't cover anything that's been wrong with it and we've just been super disappointed with the whole experience, I personally blame us for not doing our research beforehand but also the dealers they sold us on crap
- Isabel Mendoza, Idaho

2019-08-13 2014 Forest River Salem 27RLSS View Listings

They're built cheap. It has a thin top roof but it was not installed correctly. Something is wrong if they expect you to keep piling on caulk all around the roof. It's now 6 years old and the screws are rusty. The aluminum skin collects condensation inside the walls and probably rots out the wood. Two of the screws do not screw I to anything and never did! I am not happy with this travel trailer.
- Preston Monaghan, Texas

2019-08-08 2019 Forest River Salem 26DBUD View Listings

We purchased our Salem 26DBUD (first travel trailer we have ever purchased) in the spring of 2019. The service and support we have received from the dealership (Hilltop RV, Escanaba, MI.) has been outstanding. The actual trailer is junk. We have had it in for warranty work at lease three times now. Issues have included but not limited to big bulge in the siding, the face of the slide out is separating from the sides, bent stabilizer jack, several pieces of trim pulled away from the walls, broken screen, broken cabinet face, bottom of kitchen cabinet is pulling up, interior of storage area pulled away from the wall and the insulation falling down from the outside of the trailer. Needless to say these are the things I actually found. It seems like every time we go camping I find more and more issues. We are now contemplating trading this one in for a different brand. I would highly recommend you steer clear of Forest River products unless you like your camper spending more time in the shop then actually camping.
- Jason, Wisconsin

2019-08-05 2002 Forest River Salem 26BH View Listings

I have a 2002 salem lite, it pulls great, and i love the floorplan, but the quality isnt there.while replacing the roof i found many studs and roof trusses were not nailed or screwed down. You could see where they had missed and kept going. That is my biggest reason for the low review. I live in my camper quite often, i use it to travel for work, and keep up all maintaince, an i will say all accessories seem to function well.
- David, Ohio

2019-07-04 2018 Forest River Salem T30QBSS View Listings

Absolutely horrible quality. We have owned this trailer for only a year. So far.. the manual slide crank has fallen off, the front cap is pulling away, The slide gears came disengaged, Slide framing has falled off, Oven backsplash peeling away, Microwave frame has snapped, Steps are VERY loose, The bed platform sags, Wall edging is falling out, Water line screwed threw during manufacturing, Entry door is misaligned, And theres other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting at this point. It is sad and disconcerting. Avoid the Salem or forest river at all cost.
- Mwray8909, California