Forest River Salem Grand Villa Reviews on RV Insider (3)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem Grand Villa RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

James Peattie from California says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2019 Forest River Salem Grand Villa 42DLTS View Listings

I loved this floor plan. I still do. I’m a recently divorced dad and have 3 boys so the 3 upstairs loft beds couldn’t of been better! However..... the quality of workmanship is horrible. There is too much to list and I’m not a picky guy. I am also a carpenter and can fix a lot of the issues. If I had to buy it again I’d probably buy a more expensive 5 th wheel. As far as the bulk, I’m pretty lucky I guess. Everything works and functions as it should so I am pleased in that regard. I paid 43000 from dealer in Ohio, ( retail was 63000) 1400 for added washer/ dryer 4300 to ship to California and I am happy for now. It literally is the largest/ sq foot 42 pull trailer made. The design is great, just the craftsmanship is poor. If your super picky, don’t buy it you’ll be very disappointed. If your not, and your handy and you can get it at wholesale I think overall it’s a good deal. It’s basically 400 + square ft. Including the lofts. I think it’s the best deal for the buck and I love the appliances. Personally, I don’t know how they make money on these. They don’t sell these out in California so it definitely stands out
- James Peattie , California

2020-06-24 2019 Forest River Salem Grand Villa 42DL View Listings

We bought a 2019 Salem Villa 353FLFB Destination Trailer last year. The second day we were in it the electrical system blew out and we lost all power. Sparks, odor. There was a flaw in the plug coming from the trailer. It had not been put together properly. Because of the power sparks, we lost the freezer, the a.c. has never worked right, and a brand new coffee pot. The cheap screen door comes off the track almost every time we use it. Cannot get it adjusted right, including the service tech. The microwave door is right up to the side of refrig so we can't open the microwave all the way. The shades have a plastic strip to pull them up and down but the strip easily comes off so the strips are virtually worthless. The bathroom has nowhere to hang anything unless you put command hooks over the toilet and risk them falling in the toilet. We didn't realize the handicap that would be when we purchased the trailer. On and on....if I could use a zero rating this trailer would receive it. Very unhappy and Forest River will not respond to our several emails and phone messages requesting a call. By looking at all these poor reviews, we wish we had looked at them before we purchased. DON'T PURCHASE FROM FOREST RIVER PLEASE!!!
- Bev, Wisconsin

2020-05-08 2019 Forest River Salem Grand Villa 42DLTS View Listings

I bought a Forest river Grand Villa from Coates RV in January. After signing for finance, I saw that the light unit in the freezer was broken. While waiting for the delivery truck to deliver my park unit, as I do not have a tow vehicle, they said that they would order the part. Three month later and $450 a month plus insurance they said that they would deliver it. When they delivered it to my campsite, I looked in the freezer and the new unit was not replaced. It was just hanging there. I also saw that the battery was missing after spending $400 on an electric lift which means I had to crank it. The covid 19 lock down start that week so we could not go out there again for a month. When I finally was able to make it out there, I saw that the sheeting is delaminating from the frame, leaving a 6-foot gaping whole funneling every rain drop it could find into the camper. I can just imagine what damage the frame has with the rain we had. I also noticed wrinkles/waves on both side of the campers sheeting. Around the slide out areas. My opinion (not being an expert) is that I think the slide-outs are not aligned and damaging the frame. It certainly appears that way when I extend and extract the slide-outs. I also found that the central vacuum system is not working. I also found that the water heater is not working. With a retail price of $65k I would expect better quality. Obviously, the dealer said I must bring it back for repairs. I do not have a tow vehicle which means another $400 for delivery and how many months would it take to repair this. I will probably lose the entire camp season but still paying $450 a month. This has been one of my worst buying experiences I have had.
- henkswan28, Minnesota