Forest River Salem Cruise Lite Reviews on RV Insider (46)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem Cruise Lite RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Gary Winzenburger from Missouri says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL View Listings

Trailer looks nice and is easy to pull, but the quality of workmanship is terrible. Roof seems that look like a child smeared the caulk without smoothing them. Sagging wires at front and rear of trailer. Toilet paper roller feel off wall from the weight of the roll!! Paper thin paneling. Screws that weren't seated, etc. etc. Pro's - Easy pulling, nice appearance Con's - Poor workmanship and even worse quality assurance.
- Gary Winzenburger, Missouri

2020-07-08 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171RB View Listings

We bought it new we used it for the first time in December of 2019 we brought it to the shop before taking it because we smelled electric short. They said no problem found. On Christmas we went to Florida everything seemed ok not the frig did not keep food frozen on gas . On the way back it was cold so we hen we stopped for a fest the furnace quit. Now it summer and we went to the Cap , turned on the air conditioning and it sounds like we have a jet engine running in the camper. Oh also the first ride out we went to Penn. and the drawers fell off there backing were they get screwed to the wall Alf all the cabinet doors were sagging. I tried to get it in for repairs on the furnace but they don’t answer or return my calls another camping world experience.
- Mike, New York

2020-06-23 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

We have this trailer for our family of 5 and love it! The interior is a great color and aesthetically pleasing. It has lots of storage and the pantry is great too! Our kids sleep comfortably, and the fireplace is a great addition for heat. Extra room in the convertible dinette and jackknife sofa. We love our trailer!
- Ramey Evans, California

2020-06-10 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

I am so mad that I bought this unit I have been it a total of 16 days and seems that every other day something else’s goes wrong Eletrical panel first ...cupboard doors sky light cover ...bunk bed ladder ... trim in storage closet ...trim on bunk beds If this keeps up it should be a pile of rubbish in a year... I am recommending buying something other then Forest River
- Peggy Ukrainetz , Alberta

2020-03-15 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL View Listings

WE WANTED A TRAVEL TRAILER THAT HAS LOTS OF WALK-AROUND SPACE WITHOUT THE EXPENSE OF A SLIDE. ALSO, A BATHROOM THE FULL WIDTH OF THE TRAILER WITH SLIDING GLASS DOORS INSTEAD OF A CURTAIN. A COMFORTABLE FOLD-OUT COUCH WAS ALSO A "MUST." THE POWER LEVELING JACKS ARE A GREAT ACCESSORY. THIS TRAILER AT ONLY 4,135 POUNDS MET ALL OUR REQUIREMENTS.
- jimcoggins2001, Oklahoma

2020-03-07 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL View Listings

This is my second camper and I wish I had shopped around a bit more. The design of where the fridge is at wont allow you to open the fridge door far enough to remove the shelves for cleaning or for a different location. The manufacturer wont do anything to remedy this either. No ladder to access top bunk. Fridge is 12 volt only and it isn’t secured in place. A bumpy road has it bouncing around. Fit and finish isn’t the best. On the positive side is the lighted power awning, interior lighting is excellent. Stereo is loud inside and out. It pulls like a dream. 2 lp tanks is a nice touch. The added insulation let us use it in deer season and only use one lp tank with keeping the temp at 65 inside. I’d shop around more before I’d recommend this unit.
- Unhappy owner, Michigan

2020-02-28 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL View Listings

I have had this unit for a little of a year and camped throughout Texas, Alabama and Florida. If you are looking to buy a camper no matter what brand make sure you or someone you know is a DIYer and handy with tools. You are going to put that to use. There is always going to be minor issues with the unit and if you don't want it setting at the dealer ship waiting to get fixed you will have to do it yourself. Everything in a camper is pretty basic and I'm sure someone has a video on how to fix it on youtube. I'm fairly sure that's what the manufacture wants, for you to fix it instead of using the warranty. Thats why it takes so long for warranty work. Now with that said, all the issues thus far been minor. The biggest issue was the frig breaking base it was setting on and falling out of cabinet. The frig was full food/drinks for a week trip. I was able to temporarily fix on roan and repaired it back a home. Any one with the 12v/120v frig will need to add supports to the base that it sets on. It is held up with about 100 staples. This is an issue that Forest River should address. If you have older kids 10 and up do not get the outdoor kitchen option. It raises the beds and you will lose head room in the bunks. Instead just a small blackstone griddle. It would be nice if Forest River would have put a LP connection on the trailer frame. It just so happens there is a LP pipe right there just need to put a tee in and a LP quick connect. I didn't get the outdoor kitchen and used the wasted space under the bottom bunk for storage. I cut in a cabinet door on the inside to use that space.(the new 2020 model have access there now) I also added a cargo door where the outdoor kitchen would be.(30" x 14" door) It would be nice if Forest River would put a cargo door there for storage if you don't get the outdoor kitchen option. Also for us the bathroom sink is not worth it. We have a sink 3 feet away so I removed the sink and built a 4 shelf cabinet instead. Perhaps this could be a factory option?? I also removed the cabinet door pulls on doors to the table storage. Its an ankle hazard. I also upgraded the short queen to memory foam mattress.(found on amazon) This unit tows very easy with a 1/2 ton 5.4 truck. Realistically this unit sleeps 5 people 10 years old and up. Overall happy with purchase. However it could be better with a few things addressed and stop using wood studs and make all models with aluminium tubing.
- Steven M., Texas

2020-02-25 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL View Listings

I purchased this unit in January 2019 and have traveled throughout Texas, as well as to Florida. Easy towing with 1/2 ton truck. Like all(no matter what brand) travel trailers there are always minor QC issues. My trailer had several minor issues.(ex. corner trim in wardrobe on side of bed was falling out, some of the trim and paneling on seat was cut short etc.) These are all minor issues. I was able to lower the price and I could live with the issues. With that said, if you are going to purchase an entry level travel trailer or any trailer for that matter, you or someone you know should be handy with tools, you are going to have issues. Unless you want your trailer in shop most of the time, you better be an DYIer. Our first week long trip we had a somewhat major issue. The frig full of food/drinks fell out and broke half of the base it was setting on. I was able to push back in hole and put some swimming noodles on one side to hold in place. Fortunately this worked for the rest of the trip and I repaired it after the trip. The water heater was also not working normally. I found that the wiring in the switch panel was loose. Redid the joints and working normally. If you have the 120v/12v frig you will need to redo/beef-up the base the frig sets on. The factory base is installed with about 100 staples in the paneling and no supports going to floor. The only complaint I really have so far is the short queen mattress(upgraded to memory foam, found on amazon) storage, bathroom is small for Texas sized people and the bathroom sink out side the bathroom. This trailer has the "double bunks" and under the bottom bunk is a lot of wasted space and the water heater. I did not get the outdoor kitchen and would not recommend getting one. If you get the kitchen it raises your bunks and the frig door will not open all the way easily. Your best bet is to not get the outdoor kitchen option and buy a blackstone griddle instead. Now that the warranty is up, I have reworked some the issues. I removed the bathroom sink and built cabinet with 4 shelves, cut in door under bunk inside(20" x 3' space) and installed luggage door on outside under bunk where outdoor kitchen would be.(4' x 2' space) These upgrades work very well for us. As far as Factory Warranty / Support not sure never had to use it.
- Steven M., Texas

2019-12-31 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL View Listings

This is a great family RV. It has a nice color scheme with wood tones that make it look high end. It was easy to pull and was just the right size for a family and sometimes France. The door on the outside to the bathroom was a nice touch so people didn’t have to go through the whole camper to use the bathroom.
- Michele Scanlon, New Jersey

2019-12-30 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL View Listings

Cheap made piece of s*** ..................................................
- Tyler Boyd , Florida

2019-12-29 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 254RLXL View Listings

I did a lot of research before settling on forest river; and I knew that this was their bottom of the line model, but I was given no choice. The first time I hooked up to water was also the last time any water ever worked in this trailer. In mine, which named itself Titanic, you can’t leave anything plugged in anywhere, whether the item is on or not, because the outlets ALL overheat. It’s not JUST the electrical outlets- you can’t trust the USB ports, either. And if you have the extra bad luck of needing USB ports that actually DO anything, I have to say, buy a Thor motor coach. I can watch my iPad battery drain while it’s plugged into ANY of the myriad, utterly useless USB ports in this Tin Can O’ Death. Those are not, unfortunately, the only problems. The roof actually leaks, the screen doors don’t stay closed, the door locks can’t be trusted, because the doors will still pop open when they’re “locked”, even though the trailer is level. As far as I’ve been able to discern, there is no actual support from forest river to the consumer. No phone #, no website support, and well, just no support. So, to recap: it sucks, it’s DEFINITELY a safety hazard, and once forest river gets your money, you’re on your own, no matter if you’re still within the first SIX MONTHS, or what level of their “protection” you bought. Not buying forest river EVER again, and I plan on upgrading frequently.
- Meghan B, Arizona

2019-12-06 2015 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL View Listings

Very easy to tow with 1/2 ton truck, and easy to maintain unit. We have three ids, and it give them their own space. The outside sink/shower and refrigerator is perfect. It also comes with remote leveling and big kitchen refrigerator. It has worked very will for my family.
- John C, California

2019-07-17 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

I purchased this mess of a travel trailer in January 2018 from Funtime RV in Tualatin, Oregon. Unfortunately I paid cash I found problems from day one, and both the sales and service department personnel were unwilling to assist me to get any repairs done. First thing I noticed is the volume of hot water that was available, only about 1½ gallons before it turns cold. Then, it became obvious there was a problem with the furnace ducting, zero air (hot OR cold) comes thru the vent in the bunk room. Then, I notified them that the bathtub doesn't appear to be draining correctly, and it seems it is merely draining into the undercarriage of the trailer. (and within six months, the 'board', which actually is just a strange corrugated plastic, started hanging down and is full of water whenever the shower/tub is used). The window shades in the LR & BR, which were supposedly an upgrade began to fall apart within about 3 months. In September, 9 mos after purchase, I was running water in the kitchen sink to do dishes, as I turned my back I heard a loud hissing noise and the entire faucet assembly 'blew' off, flew across the trailer hard enough to leave a dent in the bathroom door. Oh, almost forgot, the bathroom door knob just fell off after 6 mos. Funtime RV and Forest River never responded to any of my emails, nor returned my phone calls. Despite proper TP, chemicals and weekly flushing, the sensor for the black water tank had read full since the first few weeks of use. The service mgr from the dealer told me that I needed to bring the trailer to their location and leave it "for a week or two", I don't feel comfortable towing it the 100+ miles, not do I have the ability financially or physically to stay in a hotel etc for a few weeks! (I am disabled due to Multiple Sclerosis, and was recently diagnosed with kidney failure). The sales and service staff were aware that I would be living full-time in this travel trailer while I enjoyed the calming atmosphere of the Oregon Coast. In fact, the salesman told me that it was "made right here in Oregon, ready to be used in our climate, and up to full-time, since Forest River knows so many people in the PNW are full-time RVers" My situation has changed, and I'm no longer in need of such a large trailer, but there's no way anyone would buy this in the current condition. I'm totally disgusted.
- Kathey, Oregon

2019-06-29 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL View Listings

Bought this TT 03/19. 06/12/2019 climbed a ladder to get measurements and found numerous bubbles on the roof (>70). I photographed and sent to Demontrond RV in Houston Texas. 10 days later Demontrond RV stated they sent my pictures to Forest River Salem Warranty division. Salem says all of these bubbles are just cosmetic. I pay this much for something I feel that the roof glue should not be coming off. These bubbles are every where not just on a seam. I did have to repair the water leak under the sink, I had to tie up the cable crossing underneath the camper because it was 2 inches off of the ground. I had to repair the plastic pieces inside the trailer that were improperly installed. This was my first travel trailer and definitely my last if it cannot last more than 3 months without falling apart. I have driven the trailer 326 miles total. I have stayed in it 3 days total.
- John Zerbe, Texas

2019-06-24 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 243BHXL View Listings

Bought the camper from camping world, 1st mistake... First camping trip, outside sink leaked on to tan 120v outlet, blowed the GFI outlet. Hot water heater never worked, radio never worked, nothing is straight, horrible camper. Then having to deal will camping world warranty, wow! Never again
- Robert Lawson, North Carolina

2019-06-23 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

Brand new and have not been able to use hot water since I opened it. Leaks everywhere. Toilet leaks, bathtub leaks so bad it can’t be used. I am at Clays Park 2 hours away from my dealership and home. Can’t get service without towing it around. I don’t have a truck and had it delivered because we are seasonal campers in a permanent location. So disappointed in my first camper!!!!
- Barbra Galbraith , Ohio

2018-12-16 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL View Listings

As a full-time camphost, I purchased this trailer, set it up and lived in it for 10 days. When I went to move it, a motor on one side of the slide had died. After much back and forth with the dealer and manufacturers (months!) the dealer finally came and got it, took it to the plant in Southern California and fixed it. Every screw on the unit is too short. Cabinet door hinges come off in my hand. The sink leaks, the windows all stick and my roof looks just like the other person said, like a child playing with caulk. My only other complaint, beside shoddy workmanship, is that the TV is located behind the bathroom door and the “lounge chairs” are at the other end of the trailer. I need to drag a chair into the kitchen to see tv! I would be hard pressed to use this manufacturer again.
- Maggie, California

2018-11-19 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 30KQBSS View Listings

Constant maintenance. Started out with refrigerator problems. They put the roof membrane right over top the roof vent. Unit ruined. No QC! Toilet pipe extended down to 1" off bottom of black tank. This caused toilet to clog every time. Inside trim falling off at several places. Door handles put on crooked. Had to replace Dometic toilet twice (Model 300) due to sewer holding up inside back of toilet. Outside front light broke at the switch and would not turn on. When you would drive down the highway, you could see the side start to flex out slightly due to the wind hitting front of camper. Bought new from dealer. Didn't come with spare tire, bunk bed ladders or TV. Thin coat of veneer on all inside furniture. Scratches off very easy. Put a piece of scotch tap on wall and later pulled off and veneer came off with it. Never again will I buy a Forest River. No QC!
- Mike J., Tennessee

2018-09-10 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL View Listings

I purchased my first ever travel trailer, a brand new 2018 Cruise Lite 201BHXL after months of research. I had to drive 16 hours round trip to get it due to a great deal this specific dealership was offering. I was extremely tired when I picked it up so I didn't do a thorough inspection, my bad. On the trip home, I had 2 of the amber marker reflectors fly off. I didn't realize this until I arrived home. No worries because I had plans to replace the horrible inefficient incandescent ones with LEDS anyway. The fabric material on the underbelly came off near the stabilizer jacks. The LED awning light strip was only partially working. The stabilizer jacks quit working due to the optifuses malfunctioning. Those fuses are suppose to be screwed or nailed to something yet they were just hanging by the wires inside the fabric underbelly material. The jacks wires had come loose from the optifuse due to the nuts, if there ever was any, were missing. When looking for the optifuse within the fabric underbelly with a minicam I noticed water damage on the wood already. I switched out the horrible tail lights to LEDs and found the holes for the wiring appeared to have been cut by a 3 year old with safety scissors rather than a hole saw. There were large chunks of excess silicone, loose screws, and sawdust everywhere I looked. I switched out all the outlets for USB ones and found half of them had the wiring very loose or completely disconnected. Every panel, door, or cubby, I open I realize what completely horrible craftsmanship/workmanship was done to complete this trailer. I took the trailer out for the first time 1 month after purchase, the stabilizer jacks quit working, the main electric jack quit working, the water heater didn't work, and the A/C didn't work. So here I am with a brand new trailer only 2 months old and it already has an appointment at the dealership. I would never recommend this brand for anyone to purchase.
- Stephanie, Tennessee

2018-09-04 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL View Listings

We purchased our new trailer, loved it at first we have been out three times since we brought it home we paid in full end of June we’ll this past weekend the sofa bed collapsed and we were sleeping in the queen master bed and it collapsed at five in morning I cannot believe it was held together with staples who stapes a bed together cupboard is falling off and sink leaks into cutlery drawer very awful craftsmanship so disappointed.
- Sheri, Ontario

2018-08-17 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL View Listings

It started with them making us two incorrect models. That took 9 weeks. My wife was done already. I don't know if you noticed but stuff only happens when you're camping hours and miles from a hardware store. We're at Clays park in Ohio and my wife said there is water in the bathroom. I unscrew the panel to investigate. Being a 20 year veteran in the plumbing and pipefitting trade and construction industry I thought I could fix it. The people at Forest River should be ashamed of their craftsmanship and pride of product. They left a pex fitting uncrimped and now I'm suffering at 10:09 at night and no water for brushing baths and toilet for the kids and my wife. I opened every panel to find a valve to isolate the problem. There were none. What I did find was sawdust, hole saw cutouts left where they lay and just poor cleanliness all thought out the trailer. Holes that have silicone to seal them up are half done with drips and leftover messes everywhere. We've only used this on 4 small weekend trips. I was intending to pull this thing across country next year but I'm not confident in Forest River trailers. From start to finish this thing in my opinion is a lemon. I'm so mad I severely DO NOT recommend buying this trailer. This FOREST RIVER trailer is poorly constructed . It's like they hated me and my family while they were making it. By the way I have to mention that the radio doesn't work either the storage hatches don't seal, same with the big window and it's starting to rust and we haven't event made it to a salty winter. Yours truly. Very mad camper from Ohio.
- Jason P, Ohio

2018-08-04 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

I need help finding the water pump my water tanks keep filling up even though the water pump is off don't k ow what can can see this problem it fills and then starts to throw it out cam some one one help me plzwill appreciate it
- Melissa Salinas, Texas

2018-07-12 2014 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 27RKSS View Listings

This unit is not worth your trouble! Poor quality, workmanship. Have had five leaks repaired, the kitchen faucet broke the fourth time we traveled. The air conditioner has been replaced two times, the level gauge in the black water tank no longer works. Just got back from ten hour trip and the roofing material has separated from up front and allowed water to enter the front area. Dealer said it's not covered. I have no recourse but to pay $900.00 for repair. I can't speak for the rest of Forest River's products but I can say this unit is garbage! At this point I owe too much to sell it without taking a loss. I can only hope the next hurricane will wash it away.
- Mark Howland, Texas

2018-07-09 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 230BHXL View Listings

We love it! Not too big, or too small, sleeps 6 comfortably. 1st trip out it got really cold, heater had no problem keeping up, tows well with equalizer, lots of room with slide out. One issue was there was a LOT of saw dust, little pieces of scrap that came out from everywhere from a short trip on a washboard road! 2nd issue was the quality could be a bit better, just some areas that could have tighter tolerances.
- Dave Beedy, Montana

2018-05-27 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

After downsizing from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer, I can say this trailer has no storage space! The kitchen cabinet should have 2 more doors put on for access to wasted space under the sink. The side compartment doors are very short height wise. You can't get a laundry basket in. The front walk through door doesn't fit well, and the wood work inside doesn't fit well, many sharp edges! The awning support arms, outside, are very low, I have already hit my head twice. I know I should be looking up More! Overall I liked my 15 year old 5th wheel better.
- Sheldon Hamilton , Wisconsin