Forest River Salem Cruise Lite Reviews on RV Insider (59)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Salem Cruise Lite RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Gary Winzenburger from Missouri says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2015 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL View Listings

Trailer looks nice and is easy to pull, but the quality of workmanship is terrible. Roof seems that look like a child smeared the caulk without smoothing them. Sagging wires at front and rear of trailer. Toilet paper roller feel off wall from the weight of the roll!! Paper thin paneling. Screws that weren't seated, etc. etc. Pro's - Easy pulling, nice appearance Con's - Poor workmanship and even worse quality assurance.
- Gary Winzenburger, Missouri

2021-04-10 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

I bought this camper new in Arizona. Took it to Montana and discovered the seals had deteriorated and it was leaking and the water heater did not work. Had the water heater repaired in Montana but returned the camper to the original dealership to have all the seals checked and repaired. They repaired all the seals at no cost to me and even reimbursed me for the water heater repair. I love the floor plan. It's the perfect size for myself and my two small dogs. I use the bunks mostly for storage. Even with the original problems. I have taken it all over the western half of the United States. It pulls very easily with my half ton truck and I love this camper. 😀
- Vicki Kirtley, Arizona

2021-03-29 2021 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

We bought the camper brand new from the factory. The bunk room door had to be cut so it wouldn't rip the air vent off the ceiling. We had a torential rain and we found water in the camper that came from the slide out,which was in at the time. Pretty upset about the quality of the product for the money we paid for it. Haven't taken it out yet so here's hoping we don't have any more issues
- Chasity, Tennessee

2021-03-14 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

We only used it a few times. But the fee times we did it was a lot of fun. Sets up easy has electric stabilizers and power awning along with the slide out that work with a remote. Ac and heat work great and it will come with a recurve anti sway hitch
- John, North Carolina

2021-01-29 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 233RBXL View Listings

We purchased this RV a year ago. We have camped about 8 times. Love this camper. The inside design is very up to date. It is must my husband and myself. Perfect size for us. We did have to tighten some water lines and screws but did not feel that was out of the norm. We have owned a camper before and we are friends with camper owners. Minor repairs are no surprise even on new campers and ours was new. Pulls great! Lighter weight was one of our reasons for choosing this camper. Love the led lighting and electric awning. Very easy setup. Gave factory warranty a four simply because we havent had to use it. It is small and wouldn't recommend for larger families. I would definitely purchase this model camper again.
- Lisa Willingham, Mississippi

2020-12-15 2021 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

Just had my new 273QBXL delivered about a month ago. The quality of workmanship is lacking. I found stews halfway sticking out, molding that doesn’t meet, chips here and there. It seems they go too fast and there’s no quality control on these things. There is no way to miss all the shoddy work I found. Like ve the floor plan but geez, someone check the work before leaving the factory. The roof looks like a child had a party with a caulk gun. I found prices of wood, molding, metal, screws etc all over the place under the couch’s and cabinets. It’s too bad because again the floor plan is nice. I guess that’s what you get on lower end campers.
- Ron G, North Carolina

2020-12-09 2021 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

We bought brand new so that we didn't inherit someone else's problem, but after getting it home, we found out that new has it own problems. Drawer slides broke on both drawers during the 20 minute drive home. Called dealer, took photos and sent them to the dealer. Dealer said they could order the parts to get it fixed, but it would be a few weeks. Decided to try the fix on my own, after getting the drawers out learned that they were only held in with 1 screw each, and that was off center so it tore out the backside of the cabinet. Some wood glue, clamps and a solid wood backer, now better than 'new'. Loose screws everywhere, poor quality abound. Everything behind or under the visual exterior was covered in saw dust, zip tie pieces, ends of cutoff and general trash. The West edition of this model is not insulated at all from what I can see. More work than I expected to do on a NEW purchase. We will see how the trailer fairs over time, but so far I feel that we way over paid for the quality we received.
- Jerry Welch, Arizona

2020-10-27 2020 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

We love the look and layout of this camper! It is very disappointing to have the water pipes leaking on our second trip. It flooded the bathroom. We got it fixed. Then on the very next trip, the furnace quit working! We are in 20 degree weather with NO heat!! Extremely disappointed to have so many issues right off that bat. We purchased our camper less than 3 months ago.
- Leah, Mississippi

2020-10-21 2021 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 268B View Listings

Initial quality is poor. Sloppy craftsmanship on trim and caulking. Inside door trim fell off wall since brads missed framing. Many other areas of brads missing framing. Sloppy caulking on exterior windows leads to poor performance.
- Jason Givens, California

2020-08-31 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL View Listings

This camper is call a "couples coach" for a reason. Although the dinette table drops for a single bed as most do, only a person or child under 5'7 would sleep comfortable. A very comfortable queen box spring murphy bed! The rear bath is huge and allows one to shower and dress with the door closed. This model year has electric jacks so once level, you push 2 buttons to stabilize the coach. (not level it!) Remote control for awning and jacks so if the coach looses up you can from inside, re-stabilize. Nice feature! This was the last year (2017) for this feature. (people were burning them up trying to level with them I think. Huge amount of storage, I mean huge and rated for approx. You can't overload this trailer as it's Gross weight limit is high. The A/C is efficient. I replaced the bath fan with a Maxifan 7500. (the standard fans are useless. There is nothing I don't like about this camper.
- Dennis Scarfile, Maryland

2020-08-27 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL View Listings

Craftsmanship sucks, huge 12 inch by 14 inch hole below the standup shower, winterized and added bounce dryer sheets and steel wool for rodents and the factory gave me a hole big enough for a cat , it’s their site and I’d like to show you the big hole
- Terry Mathers, Pennsylvania

2020-08-23 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

We bought this unit brand new at an excellent price. That was the high point of our experience. From there on it was all downhill. The primary problem with this unit is dreadful, sloppy, sometimes dangerous construction. The Neanderthals who constructed this trailer should be fired and held responsible for their lazy, crazy, zero-pride-in- workmanship. A great number of our problems had to do with shoddy plumbing. X. Water heater went out almost immediately. X. Leaks in bathroom hot and cold water lines. X. The city water hook up leaked for months under the bunk bed without us even knowing it. It flooded under the flooring and flooded out the underbelly shield. When we moved the trailer we discovered the problem because all the water gushed out of the bulging underbelly shield. X. Plywood subfloor is warped and rough and squeaky because of water damage. X. Leaks in kitchen sink plumbing due to shoddy installation. X. The kitchen faucet leaks under the "Formica" counter top causing a big blister which is getting larger and larger. X. Toilet seal is poor allowing the smell of raw sewage to seep into the trailer. X. The "Naugahyde" covering on all the cushions is pealing off making them look like they have leprosy. X. Both roof vents fell to pieces within weeks of getting the unit. (Forest River acknowledged they got a bad batch of vents.) X. Both propane supply lines coming from the tanks to the regulator leaked badly and had to be replaced. X. Trim is stapled on and falls off easily so I had to use screws to put them all back on. X. Anything you have to open up to fix you find what a horrible job the yahoos who built this unit did. X. One HUGE Safety issue that Cruise Lite should do a recall for. Our 5 year old was playing hide and seek with other friends. She went into the trailer and hid in the pantry and closed the door. We all looked for her for a long time but could not find her. Finally went out past the trailer and heard these muffled screams. I could not tell exactly where the screams were coming from. Looked in the trailer but it sounded like the screams were from outside. Looked outside and it sounded like they were inside. Our daughter was so terrified she could not answer me but only scream. Finally found her on the floor of the pantry under the first shelf. Under that shelf she could not reach the door handle so was locked inside. There is NO WAY they should use a door latch that cannot be pushed open from the inside. X. Arms on awning are too low and very easy to whack yourself on the head. X. Electrical outlet problems. GFCI outlet on outside of trailer appears to have never been hooked up. X. Another outlet is put in such an awkward location it is nearly impossible to use. X. A couple wall panels that were not stapled and just hanging lose. X. After a few months, the water pump began pumping the fresh water tank dry by pumping all the fresh water out through the city water fill spout. Still not fixed. Unbelievable!! X. We bought the trailer in Washington State. I figured it was insulated to at least have fairly good resistance to the cold. It does not. Below 38 degrees this thing is an iceberg! It sweats like crazy and molds up so bad it is probably dangerous to live in. X. I could go on but you get the point. I love the floor plan and I love towing it. The number one problem with Forest River is disgustingly bad workmanship, followed by low quality materials. Other than the water heater repair being paid for under warranty, nothing else has been replaced or reimbursed for by Forest River.
- John, California

2020-07-21 2020 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

Love the layout! That the main reason we purchased this unit. Bought in 01/2020. Took it out for a trip in June. It was 90 degrees outside. My air conditioner was set on 70 degrees. Unit stayed at 88-90 degrees all day. Unit put cold air out. To small of a unit for this camper. FR Has taken over 2 weeks to approve a bigger unit.And still waiting. So I can’t enjoy this camper. My other camper was 2019 keystone. Never had one bit of an issue. So I can’t trade it off . I would be upside down, I guess I will work some over time and throw some extra money to get rid of it. So if you work or are a rep for Forrest river and can help me out. It would be greatly appreciated!
- Angie, Tennessee

2020-07-16 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL View Listings

lots of cabinet storage.tows great not too heavy.great appliances good gas stove and fridge.bed is good with my modifications.nice bathroom size and shower.with slight modifications it is now perfect.air conditioning handles Florida hot weather.couch is comfy and dinette is ample.homemade cutting board really helps with food prep it stradles left side of sink.microwave does a good job.
- kenneth scheringer, Florida

2020-07-08 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171RB View Listings

We bought it new we used it for the first time in December of 2019 we brought it to the shop before taking it because we smelled electric short. They said no problem found. On Christmas we went to Florida everything seemed ok not the frig did not keep food frozen on gas . On the way back it was cold so we hen we stopped for a fest the furnace quit. Now it summer and we went to the Cap , turned on the air conditioning and it sounds like we have a jet engine running in the camper. Oh also the first ride out we went to Penn. and the drawers fell off there backing were they get screwed to the wall Alf all the cabinet doors were sagging. I tried to get it in for repairs on the furnace but they don’t answer or return my calls another camping world experience.
- Mike, New York

2020-06-23 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL View Listings

We have this trailer for our family of 5 and love it! The interior is a great color and aesthetically pleasing. It has lots of storage and the pantry is great too! Our kids sleep comfortably, and the fireplace is a great addition for heat. Extra room in the convertible dinette and jackknife sofa. We love our trailer!
- Ramey Evans, California

2020-06-10 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL View Listings

I am so mad that I bought this unit I have been it a total of 16 days and seems that every other day something else’s goes wrong Eletrical panel first ...cupboard doors sky light cover ...bunk bed ladder ... trim in storage closet ...trim on bunk beds If this keeps up it should be a pile of rubbish in a year... I am recommending buying something other then Forest River
- Peggy Ukrainetz , Alberta

2020-03-15 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL View Listings

WE WANTED A TRAVEL TRAILER THAT HAS LOTS OF WALK-AROUND SPACE WITHOUT THE EXPENSE OF A SLIDE. ALSO, A BATHROOM THE FULL WIDTH OF THE TRAILER WITH SLIDING GLASS DOORS INSTEAD OF A CURTAIN. A COMFORTABLE FOLD-OUT COUCH WAS ALSO A "MUST." THE POWER LEVELING JACKS ARE A GREAT ACCESSORY. THIS TRAILER AT ONLY 4,135 POUNDS MET ALL OUR REQUIREMENTS.
- jimcoggins2001, Oklahoma

2020-03-07 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL View Listings

This is my second camper and I wish I had shopped around a bit more. The design of where the fridge is at wont allow you to open the fridge door far enough to remove the shelves for cleaning or for a different location. The manufacturer wont do anything to remedy this either. No ladder to access top bunk. Fridge is 12 volt only and it isn’t secured in place. A bumpy road has it bouncing around. Fit and finish isn’t the best. On the positive side is the lighted power awning, interior lighting is excellent. Stereo is loud inside and out. It pulls like a dream. 2 lp tanks is a nice touch. The added insulation let us use it in deer season and only use one lp tank with keeping the temp at 65 inside. I’d shop around more before I’d recommend this unit.
- Unhappy owner, Michigan

2020-02-28 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL View Listings

I have had this unit for a little of a year and camped throughout Texas, Alabama and Florida. If you are looking to buy a camper no matter what brand make sure you or someone you know is a DIYer and handy with tools. You are going to put that to use. There is always going to be minor issues with the unit and if you don't want it setting at the dealer ship waiting to get fixed you will have to do it yourself. Everything in a camper is pretty basic and I'm sure someone has a video on how to fix it on youtube. I'm fairly sure that's what the manufacture wants, for you to fix it instead of using the warranty. Thats why it takes so long for warranty work. Now with that said, all the issues thus far been minor. The biggest issue was the frig breaking base it was setting on and falling out of cabinet. The frig was full food/drinks for a week trip. I was able to temporarily fix on roan and repaired it back a home. Any one with the 12v/120v frig will need to add supports to the base that it sets on. It is held up with about 100 staples. This is an issue that Forest River should address. If you have older kids 10 and up do not get the outdoor kitchen option. It raises the beds and you will lose head room in the bunks. Instead just a small blackstone griddle. It would be nice if Forest River would have put a LP connection on the trailer frame. It just so happens there is a LP pipe right there just need to put a tee in and a LP quick connect. I didn't get the outdoor kitchen and used the wasted space under the bottom bunk for storage. I cut in a cabinet door on the inside to use that space.(the new 2020 model have access there now) I also added a cargo door where the outdoor kitchen would be.(30" x 14" door) It would be nice if Forest River would put a cargo door there for storage if you don't get the outdoor kitchen option. Also for us the bathroom sink is not worth it. We have a sink 3 feet away so I removed the sink and built a 4 shelf cabinet instead. Perhaps this could be a factory option?? I also removed the cabinet door pulls on doors to the table storage. Its an ankle hazard. I also upgraded the short queen to memory foam mattress.(found on amazon) This unit tows very easy with a 1/2 ton 5.4 truck. Realistically this unit sleeps 5 people 10 years old and up. Overall happy with purchase. However it could be better with a few things addressed and stop using wood studs and make all models with aluminium tubing.
- Steven M., Texas

2020-02-25 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 19DBXL View Listings

I purchased this unit in January 2019 and have traveled throughout Texas, as well as to Florida. Easy towing with 1/2 ton truck. Like all(no matter what brand) travel trailers there are always minor QC issues. My trailer had several minor issues.(ex. corner trim in wardrobe on side of bed was falling out, some of the trim and paneling on seat was cut short etc.) These are all minor issues. I was able to lower the price and I could live with the issues. With that said, if you are going to purchase an entry level travel trailer or any trailer for that matter, you or someone you know should be handy with tools, you are going to have issues. Unless you want your trailer in shop most of the time, you better be an DYIer. Our first week long trip we had a somewhat major issue. The frig full of food/drinks fell out and broke half of the base it was setting on. I was able to push back in hole and put some swimming noodles on one side to hold in place. Fortunately this worked for the rest of the trip and I repaired it after the trip. The water heater was also not working normally. I found that the wiring in the switch panel was loose. Redid the joints and working normally. If you have the 120v/12v frig you will need to redo/beef-up the base the frig sets on. The factory base is installed with about 100 staples in the paneling and no supports going to floor. The only complaint I really have so far is the short queen mattress(upgraded to memory foam, found on amazon) storage, bathroom is small for Texas sized people and the bathroom sink out side the bathroom. This trailer has the "double bunks" and under the bottom bunk is a lot of wasted space and the water heater. I did not get the outdoor kitchen and would not recommend getting one. If you get the kitchen it raises your bunks and the frig door will not open all the way easily. Your best bet is to not get the outdoor kitchen option and buy a blackstone griddle instead. Now that the warranty is up, I have reworked some the issues. I removed the bathroom sink and built cabinet with 4 shelves, cut in door under bunk inside(20" x 3' space) and installed luggage door on outside under bunk where outdoor kitchen would be.(4' x 2' space) These upgrades work very well for us. As far as Factory Warranty / Support not sure never had to use it.
- Steven M., Texas

2019-12-31 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL View Listings

This is a great family RV. It has a nice color scheme with wood tones that make it look high end. It was easy to pull and was just the right size for a family and sometimes France. The door on the outside to the bathroom was a nice touch so people didn’t have to go through the whole camper to use the bathroom.
- Michele Scanlon, New Jersey

2019-12-30 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL View Listings

Cheap made piece of s*** ..................................................
- Tyler Boyd , Florida

2019-12-29 2019 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 254RLXL View Listings

I did a lot of research before settling on forest river; and I knew that this was their bottom of the line model, but I was given no choice. The first time I hooked up to water was also the last time any water ever worked in this trailer. In mine, which named itself Titanic, you can’t leave anything plugged in anywhere, whether the item is on or not, because the outlets ALL overheat. It’s not JUST the electrical outlets- you can’t trust the USB ports, either. And if you have the extra bad luck of needing USB ports that actually DO anything, I have to say, buy a Thor motor coach. I can watch my iPad battery drain while it’s plugged into ANY of the myriad, utterly useless USB ports in this Tin Can O’ Death. Those are not, unfortunately, the only problems. The roof actually leaks, the screen doors don’t stay closed, the door locks can’t be trusted, because the doors will still pop open when they’re “locked”, even though the trailer is level. As far as I’ve been able to discern, there is no actual support from forest river to the consumer. No phone #, no website support, and well, just no support. So, to recap: it sucks, it’s DEFINITELY a safety hazard, and once forest river gets your money, you’re on your own, no matter if you’re still within the first SIX MONTHS, or what level of their “protection” you bought. Not buying forest river EVER again, and I plan on upgrading frequently.
- Meghan B, Arizona

2019-12-06 2015 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL View Listings

Very easy to tow with 1/2 ton truck, and easy to maintain unit. We have three ids, and it give them their own space. The outside sink/shower and refrigerator is perfect. It also comes with remote leveling and big kitchen refrigerator. It has worked very will for my family.
- John C, California