Forest River R-Pod Reviews on RV Insider (61)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River R-Pod RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Randy Pollock from Texas says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

After much research, we decided to purchase a 2017 Rpod 179 from a dealer in Mesquite, Texas. Although the dealer is approximately 300 miles from our home in San Antonio, we felt confident that the combined quality of the traler and the assurance that we "could take it to any Forrest River dealer for service"', we would be safe. (There is no Rpod dealer within a 100 miles of where we live). The first time we had a problem with the electric tongue lift not working, we found that "any Forrest River dealer" for repairs was true. In fact, even with with Forrest River's help, we were left with called Ngo numerous dealers only to say no and offer no assistance. Fortunately, I did find an area Forrest River dealer has worked very hard to help us. They were the only dealer of 6 which I called that was willing to help us. Although they are not an RPod dealer, they have done much to help us. There has been a series of issues with the RPod which have greatly undermined my confidence in my camper. So far, our 6 month old camper has had considerable problems . Beginning with a defective tongue lift, we found ourselves with a heather that was so loud, we stopped using it and plugged in a stand alone. (Reported to be a piece of packing plastic inside the unit). We have experienced a water leak which flooded the rear storage compartment.(Break at the city water inlet). An A/C unit with a part missing that makes too much noise to use until the part comes in. (2 weeks in the shop so far). Blue caulk scattered on numerous portions of the black framing. Decals beginning peel in some places. This unit sold for $22 k before discount. The most a dealer will allow on trade is $9k. We are trapped in a camper that we have no faith in manufactured by a company we have no faith in and sold by a dealer we have no faith in. If I had a do over, I would have purchased something from a local dealer and it would not have been a Forrest River product.
- Randy Pollock, Texas

2020-10-18 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

Fun camper for a couple on the road. Would be excellent for person working on the road. Really tows behind V6 SUV. The R-pod has so much personality. They're cute and whimsical with high quality finishes.
- Tammy Bass, Oklahoma

2020-09-10 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

We purchased a brand new R-pod 190 We never had a chance to actually use the camper as it went up in flames. Turns out that their are known issues with the R-pod 190 catching fire Lucky for us we were not using the camper and everyone is safe. Forrest River does not stand behind their product buyer beware
- Tony Browne, Florida

2020-08-22 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

One problem after another twice the 110v went out on the first two trips. Next trip the tail lights went out the fourth trip no trailer brakes. The steel fenders are splitting. Whats next ! Ready to exercise the lemon law. The mattress after about thirty sleeps has given up with two big divots where my wife and I sleep. We both are small 120 and 150 and we are hitting bottom. This is a piece of junk. The gals at the warranty dept are great and trying but cant come up with the parts and there are no places that can fix anything right. I even asked if I could do the work myself and was sent fenders but they wont let me replace the LED tail lights or anything electric but camping world or Gander can fix anything right and had to recrimp the wiring that camping world so called fixed.... NOT ! Really disappointed. Feeling screwed !
- Doug King, Colorado

2020-08-05 2015 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

Loved our RV with the tent/canopy attachment. We had plenty of room for the grandchildren in the tent area with air mattresses. When we had campsites with electricity, the kids had a fan to stay cool or a heater to stay warm. It was great to store extra coolers and on rainy days to grill in the covered area.
- vpickering, Washington

2020-08-03 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

This has been a WONDERFUL RV to own. It tows like a dream. (We have to keep checking our rear-view mirrors to even see if it's there!) Set-up is fast and easy. Tear-down is equally fast and easy. The layout is great with two minor exceptions. Whomever is sleeping on the outside has to crawl over the other person to get up, and when you use the toilet at night, the light from it shines right into the eyes of the person still in bed. The kitchen area is very usable for the size, and the dining area is handy for dining, reading, watching TV, and just plain visiting or watching the campground. The only downside I see is if you have more than 2 people, you need to collapse the dining area to make up the additional bed. This works best for an easy get-away for 2 people. I am going to miss ours when it is gone, but we can't bring all the grandkids with us so we are upsizing. I especially like all the storage underneath, and the high wheel base. (We have the Hood River edition) Things stay right where they should when towing, and the air conditioner is a godsend that works great! For the price, this is a GREAT trailer!
- Gail, Washington

2020-07-30 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

I purchased a 2020 R-Pod three months ago and I must say it has been the most disappointing purchase I have made in the last ten years. The laundry list of issues that have soaked up my summer usage with a long stay at the dealer will now be repeated as the sewage hose has broken off of my coach and shattered all over the freeway for the 2nd time. List of issues include: -Trim pieces falling off on interior -Sewer Hose fell of chassis (2x) -Electrical cord to trailer is fraying -Tongue jack goes through fuses often -Multiple cabinets doors were installed incorrectly and have had to be straighten so they will latch -Debris falls from the ceiling where the tv cables are and in the shower -Front door wasn't latching correctly This all equals multiple summer trips ruined from a brand new trailer. Unbelievably disappointing and truly concerns me about Forest River.
- Andrew West, Washington

2020-07-30 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

I purchased a 2020 rpod 195 on 7/13/2020 in the state of Virginia. The brake were not working proper when connected to a 2019 F150 but when hook to the yard truck at dealer they appeared to work but was never pull to be sure they worked. The 2019 F150 truck and camper has been taken to a Ford dealer and nothing was found wrong with brake control on truck. The Dealership also let me use a 2020 F150 to hook to camper and the camper brakes still didn't work. The camper has also been hooked to a 2017 Chevy 1500 truck and the camper brakes don't work with that truck either. On approximately 7/20/2020 I started calling Frost River I did talk to one lady twice on that day but later on that day no one answers the phone. You only get a recording to leave information and they are on the phone and they will return your call. My information was left on there answering machine. I also have been calling several time since then. I also call them on 7/29/2020 and on 7/30/2020. They have not returned call as of now. I'm also waiting on dealer to return calls also. I posted this on 7/29/2020 also but my purchase date and when I started calling Forest River were wrong. I have since corrected that mistake.
- William Burgess, North Carolina

2020-07-29 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

Purchased rpod 195 on 7/6/2020 brakes not working properly hooked to a 2019 f150 or a 2020 f150 new on Ford dealer lot or on to a 2017 Chevy 1500. The 2019 F150 has also been taken to a Ford dealer and there nothing wrong with the brake controller on it. Started calling Forest river on 7/10/2020. I talk to a lady twice that day but since then they don't answer or return calls .I also have call today several times 7/29/2020. It something not right with the rpod brakes. I'm not a happy camper.
- William Burgess, North Carolina

2020-07-08 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

I love this camper. I've taken it all over America. But whoever decided to use STAPLES to fasten every single thing on the interior should be FIRED! I've spent a ridiculous amount of time making repairs to the interior! Everything is stapled! The bed, the kitchen sink, the walls, everything! And it's all falling apart! Cheap and lazy! Are screws really that much money?
- Kevin, Tennessee

2020-07-05 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

We’ve enjoyed our R-Pod and the convenience of quick set up. There’s plenty of room for longer stays and the beds are very comfortable. Having a convection oven is so much easier to cook in than a conventional oven. The AC and heat worked well and kept the interior temperature comfortable wherever we went. We highly recommend the R-Pod to anyone wanting an easy-towing camper. Thank you, Forest River!
- Barry Overstreet, Virginia

2020-07-01 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

The workmanship on our r-pod is poor. The roof leaks. The plumbing leaks. Our closest 3 dealers didn't want to do the warranty work. Great concept, poor execution. Lookig into trying to return the unit. Unless you have a garrage or carport to keep it out of the weather, it's going to leak. Buy something else...
- John, New Jersey

2020-06-23 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

The floor plan really sold us, the dealer we bought this from has given us the absolute best service. We have many reviews, and acquiring these vehicles are about both dealer and manufacture (with more emphasis on the dealer). We bought this trailer from McPhail's Of Harriston(in Harriston, Ontario) , they are the best in sales(Scott McCorquodale) and in service(Michael Hurst) in comparison to other reviews in which we read about or dealt with(in the past , we had 2 travel trailers, a hybrid, and a 29 ft Keystone). With a good dealer , you will have a better understanding of the manufacturer so that when you buy, your expectations are not too high, and you understand that what you are buying has serious limitations with its warranties. Getting honest dealers and ones who really understand what service is about (and can actually fix any unit properly) is tough, as this type of business is lucrative. But this being said, there is still no reason why service and sales can not be reasonable. Our experience(out of area): 1- 2 months after we picked up our trailer (Sept 2019), we departed for a 6 week trip to Eastern Canada (New Brunswick), through USA. We had not yet spent a night in our trailer but the cabinet in the bathroom came off the wall and damaged the door(as we arrived at our first destination). Forest River assisted us to have a temporary fix until we returned. Getting DEALERs in the USA to temp fix this under warranty was impossible, as the dates being offered was in months in advance (dates were to occur when they had down time, as they wanted to handle paying customers first and in off season then they would deal with warranty issues (NOTE important to understand what a warranty means )). This was especially the case in Northern States, as winterizing is a thing that happens for these units. I did find someone that use to be a dealer for them, they were amazing fixing it but we had to pay first, but we WERE reimbursed by Forest River. We did find out that according to the blue print of the RPOD 195, a stud that should have been present (in which the cupboard was to be mounted onto), was in fact not present. Our dealer experience (and warranty experience) :This addresses our opinion of quality and service. Many things in this trailer(and many others if not all) is questionable as to its quality, but one needs to understand that is not all about quality first with these units , it is aesthetics and lightness, and mfg cost. Upon our return to our home dealer (McPhails)we had a chance to test the trailer out, and created a list of things that were warranty covered on the trailer (approx 30 items - most small things but these small things lend to quality approach). A couple items were user knowledge (meaning we were not aware of how to properly use the items). The cupboard was fixed properly (and Forest River, after this incident issued a recall for this ). ALL our items on our list was properly addressed. Our slide leaked (about 8 months after pickup), it was fixed under warranty as well, though we were disappointed that this occurred so soon after purchase. Our dealer was good though, as they informed us what to consider doing to reduce the chances of this happening in the future. YOUR DEALER is who you want to be able to go to, review YOUR DEALER before you decide where you want to go, or be prepared. Last opinion(just ours maybe), extended warranties don't always justify themselves either. In our case, our trailer is small and did not justify itself as necessary(not enough moving parts, and repairing a leak in the slide is probably cheaper as a one of that an entire extended warranty). This is a personal choice and should be made carefully as it is an additional expense. Our dealer McPhails of Harriston, is quite a distance for us ( hour and half drive in good traffic), but they were worth it to reduce the frustration and lack of professionalism I have dealt with in many other dealers.
- Jan Persaud, Ontario

2020-06-21 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We've had our R-Pod 179 for a little over a year. When we got it home we discovered the right rear taillight wasn't working, which I fixed myself (the wires were not connected properly). After our first trip with it we had 11 warranty issues. We bought out of state, but our local dealer was happy to do the work. Unfortunately, it took two months to get it done, due to parts/approval delays, so we basically missed most of the summer season. Forrest River, after a lot complaining, thankfully reimbursed us for two payments. Also, I had to fix two of the local dealer's repair mistakes. It was also back to the dealer for a wiring recall, which was fixed same-day. Two trips later the roof leaked on the bed during a rainstorm, which I fixed. Now it's leaking from the bathroom roof vent, and the A/C unit. I'll fix these as well (it's out of warranty). This is our fourth new travel trailer, and we've never had these kind of problems! I definitely would not recommend purchasing anything from Forest River! Now off to fix today's leaks...hope this helps.
- Mike , Colorado

2020-06-09 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-172 View Listings

Fun, family, lightweight trailer we could pull with our minivan. Traveled to many national parks with two children and two dogs and had the time of our lives. Very manageable size, easy use kitchen and bathroom.
- Carmen Johnson, California

2020-04-30 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

In Summer 2018, my wife & I enjoyed this RP-180 for a 7 week 8,000 mile trip through the Western USA, then home to Michigan. It really is the fit and finish, attention to retail that makes a Forest River product so enjoyable. Everything works as it should. It is easy to tow, even in the Rocky Mountains. Saw so many National parks and beautiful vistas. R-Dome is easy up and down, doubles the living space. We'd set up a base camp and explore the Grand Canyon, Zion National park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mount Rushmore. The room in theses great trailers is amazing. We love the dry bath being so roomy. The microwave/convection oven and stove means meals of any kind can be prepared. We enjoyed fine dining on the road! It's so easy to get in and out of RV parks and campsites with a nice maneuverable small RV. I'm sure many couple starting out with trailering will find this a great first travel trailer or the seasoned veteran wanting to downsize to a smaller unit will be very pleased that you don't give up quality.
- Gregg Shewan, Michigan

2020-04-10 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

I don’t Know where to begin to describe how poor the quality is on my 2019 R Pod 190. The most major problem is you can’t make it stop leaking. The roof leaks from every where there is a light, AC unit, vent fan, skylight. When it rains outside it rains inside. the roof has been sealed numerous times and it still leaks. One major design flaw on mine is the roof is concave so it acts like a lake holding water up there. The next problem is when the roof isn’t leaking the plumbing is. Both the kitchen sink and bathroom sink leak from the plumbing and flood the space underneath. I Have tightened all the fittings and resealed the drain and it still leaks. As I write this I’m sitting on the coast of California watching water drip from the AC unit into a bowl on the floor. The next big failure is the sound system. This trailer is 1 year old and the sound system died, will not turn on with the power button. Sometimes I can turn it on with the remote but can’t change functions. Next Problem. Within the first few months the brake drums warped causing a bad brake vibration. When I took it apart the drums were machined so out of round its no wonder they warped. There was almost an 1/8” thickness variation in the wall thickness from one side to the other. Next problem. The trim is very poorly assembled. 4 pieces of molding have just fallen off. A couple are cut too long so they are warped and not touching the wall surface. Many major pieces such as the seat side trim against the wall, and the storage box under the slide out are held on with minimal screws into thin paneling. These have pulled out and vibrated causing large holes in the floor and walls. If your buying one of these trailers expect all the trim and panels to fall off. Next problem. The climate control is terrible. It doesn’t seem to matter what temp you set it to. It will either get way hotter then the temp you set it to or not come on at all. Also the outlet duct dumps out into a storage area under the bed and will cook anything you put there that is temp sensitive and it makes the bed too hot. One note is the mattress that comes with the trailer is useless. It sagged so bad it was like sleeping in a hammock. I replaced it with a quality mattress. The last problem at this time is the trim around the sink is a wood trim. It’s impossible to do anything in the sink and not get it wet. Getting it wet will cause it to swell and look bad. This was fixed under warranty but it still has the same problem. It needs some kind of water proof back splash. For the price of these trailers I expected much better quality. When I’m done with the trip I’m on I will sell it and look for a better brand, if it will hold together long enough to get home.
- Mark Hockett, Washington

2020-03-15 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

There is nothing that hasn’t fallen off including outside light fixtures, thermostat, smoke detector, walls. The seating is so cheap and uncomfortable . No storage and the pullout has to be out to go to the bathroom. We wasted our money. Don’t enjoy it at all. A lot of people have ask us about it and we tell them it’s a big waste of money. Cheap! When we buy another one we will do our homework and it WON’T be a Forest River!
- Jean Martin, Massachusetts

2020-02-10 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-196 View Listings

We drove from Ogden, Utah to Hamilton, Ohio to purchase the new 2020 R-pod model 196 last Sept. 2019 from Couches R.V. The first day driving home the bathroom pocket door screws stripped from the door, dropping it to the ground and rendering it impossible to open/close. We have replaced the screws, tried to glue in place, nothing has worked. It continues to fall every time we drive anywhere. We also had our black tank connector come apart dragging it on the ground. Had to tie it up until we could replace screws. We previously owned a 2015 model 179 and found it to be well made. This model appears to be built with less quality. The rounded walls inside, while looking nice, are very flimsy and the trim strips are only glued on and some are pulling away. The vinyl on the couch has already scratched off in one place and we have been very careful. Fortunately, so far all of the systems have worked well... heater, air, water pump, fridge, freezer, etc. We have not had time yet to take it in to our dealer for repairs since we have had reservations for camping and have spent 2 months in Palm Springs. Hopefully we will have no problems getting repairs when we return home this month.
- Carrie Allen, Utah

2019-12-23 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

Drove from Northern CA to Hamilton, Ohio to purchase new RPOD195. We left Couch's RV Nation (dealer) 10/13 to camp and enjoy our RPOD. 10/24 - the window broke (nothing was found inside the RV) Brian Combs, warranty person at Couch's said window was defective and would be covered under warranty The Forest River sales rep was at the dealers and gave the "ok." We were told to stay in hotels because of the amount of glass inside the trailer and that all of our expenses would be paid. Told the window would be express shipped to the RV place in Lubbock Texas. We stayed in Lubbock waiting for 4 days. Mr. Combs called to say he wasn't able to get a window for 10-12 days. Instructed us to head home. Approved the RV repair in Fortuna, CA. We left Lubbock 10/29 and arrived home 10/31. Monday, 11/4, called Mr.Combs and asked him to call our RV Repair place. They did not want to take a Forest River warranty job. Brian Called and told them it was all under warranty and FR would issue a check to them. December 6 - Mr. Combs called and said nothing would be covered under warranty: not the hotels, the slide (which did not go all the way in or out), the box part of the dinette which had come off of the floor and some of the trim which had fallen off. Things have gone downhill from there. Dec. After time and many phone calls - I learned the window was shipped from the Forest River Factory to Couch's RV Nation. They sent the window back to Forest River because "I was no longer their problem." I found someone who was willing to take some time and help me from Forest River:Stella Garcia. She let me know the window was shipped 12/20 and would get to the RV Repair in Fortuna 1/3. I would never deal with Forest River again. I would urge others not to use Couch's RV Nation. They made so many commitments to me and reneged on every single promise.
- Vikki Bernstein, California

2019-12-07 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

I bought a very slightly used Rpod 180. It seemed perfect for my use. However, I have found the workmanship beyond disappointing. I have had to fix the leaky roof that was obviously repaired before. After using the camper for a while, I began to see several factory shortcuts in the trim and other areas. Very disappointed in the craftsmanship, especially for the price. I expected so much more from a Forest River product. I have owned 2 other campers from them. This will probably be my last.
- Robert Stacy, Missouri

2019-10-11 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

Purchased April 2019,has to take the RV back to Empire RV I Liberty Texas, dropped off the trailer in August, still waiting on simple parts from Forest River. Invest your hard earned money with a different manufacturer. I am making second RV payment on the trailer since I dropped the trailer at Empire RV in liberty Texas. I have had to cancel a couple of trips, tailgating trip and camping trip. The bathroom vanity fell off the bathroom wall, damaging the bathroom door, shower curtain, and shower base. Forest River needs to be educated on paneling anchors, these anchors won't hold the weight of the bathroom vanity, need to install support wall framing behind the vanity. Can't fix Stupid.
- Thomas Quinn, Texas

2019-09-23 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

This 2016 R-pod 180 is easy to tow. I have towed with Highlander with no problem even on several hundred mile drive. It is small, cramped for two people and gets cluttered easily. The bed is hard to make against three walls. Storage space is good. The fridge is small but usable. It frosts up easily on humid days. The items in the fridge have been wet. The gas stove is fine. The microwave works well and I have had no problems yet. The shower is usable but very small. The black and grey water tanks are sufficient as is water tank. Winterizing and spring opening require removal of two boards under the bed after removal of the mattress. The overall build quality is fair to poor. The converter went out on a trip last year(two years-seldom use) This left me without electricity, lights, fridge and anything electric. I had to replace it myself with a better model. Sawdust was present after trips. Particle board is used throughout. The air conditioner is very loud and impossible to sleep while in use. The sink fell out and that is my current problem. I should not have to be fixing any of these items after three years. The warranty dies with sale to another and overall after one year. The sales/service place want to know if I bought it there when called for repairs. So much better than the tents we used for years but I expected better.
- Robinson, Wisconsin

2019-09-06 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

R-Pod did great for I purchased it for (traveling). We have a 5th wheel that we use for local camping. Need something short and easy to tow and didn’t have to worry about low clearance bridges. Also, many campgrounds in the West will not accommodate campers over 25 feet. Only problem with R-Pod is bed is only 6 foot long and I am 6’2”.
- Archie Jenkins, Alabama

2019-08-19 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-183G View Listings

This was the best learning/fun little RV! We traveled fairly close to home and met wonderful people along the way. New chapter in our lives to begin so we must bid aidue ☹️ Have loved this camper. I cooked over the fire, used our grill and loved the outside kitchen. Never lost the feeling of being outside because we mostly were!!
- Mary Lou Loyd, New Jersey