Forest River R-Pod RVs Reviews (38)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River R-Pod RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Randy Pollock from Texas says:

Have you owned any Forest River R-Pod RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

After much research, we decided to purchase a 2017 Rpod 179 from a dealer in Mesquite, Texas. Although the dealer is approximately 300 miles from our home in San Antonio, we felt confident that the combined quality of the traler and the assurance that we "could take it to any Forrest River dealer for service"', we would be safe. (There is no Rpod dealer within a 100 miles of where we live). The first time we had a problem with the electric tongue lift not working, we found that "any Forrest River dealer" for repairs was true. In fact, even with with Forrest River's help, we were left with called Ngo numerous dealers only to say no and offer no assistance. Fortunately, I did find an area Forrest River dealer has worked very hard to help us. They were the only dealer of 6 which I called that was willing to help us. Although they are not an RPod dealer, they have done much to help us. There has been a series of issues with the RPod which have greatly undermined my confidence in my camper. So far, our 6 month old camper has had considerable problems . Beginning with a defective tongue lift, we found ourselves with a heather that was so loud, we stopped using it and plugged in a stand alone. (Reported to be a piece of packing plastic inside the unit). We have experienced a water leak which flooded the rear storage compartment.(Break at the city water inlet). An A/C unit with a part missing that makes too much noise to use until the part comes in. (2 weeks in the shop so far). Blue caulk scattered on numerous portions of the black framing. Decals beginning peel in some places. This unit sold for $22 k before discount. The most a dealer will allow on trade is $9k. We are trapped in a camper that we have no faith in manufactured by a company we have no faith in and sold by a dealer we have no faith in. If I had a do over, I would have purchased something from a local dealer and it would not have been a Forrest River product.
- Randy Pollock, Texas

2019-08-19 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-183G View Listings

This was the best learning/fun little RV! We traveled fairly close to home and met wonderful people along the way. New chapter in our lives to begin so we must bid aidue ☹️ Have loved this camper. I cooked over the fire, used our grill and loved the outside kitchen. Never lost the feeling of being outside because we mostly were!!
- Mary Lou Loyd, New Jersey

2019-08-17 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

Upon pick up in Sept. 17 a number of items were not done properly, all small in nature. When coming back in April 2018 with the final towing vehicle for installation of the brake controller, I was charged another $ 200.00 because the intended controller did not fit my vehicle. I have e-mails proving they were aware of the make and type of the towing vehicle since Aug. 2017 Cover plate of the stereo was loose Exterior lock did not work. Drawer not properly fitted, so it opened when driving Numerous pieces of trim too short, off color etc. Left front bench improperly placed. Caused the covering sheet of plywood to fall through when someone sat on it. Refused to install missing spice rack, in spite of clear documentation and photos showing it. Windows extremely hard to slide from the closed position. Handle of one of the drain pipe gates broke in two pieces Cover plate for the sewer storage tube broken. Hotwatertank sprung a leak in our absence, flooding the rear of the unit and blowing the control system. Battery either does not hold any power or there is a severe electrical leak in the system draining the battery in less than 12 hours. Right front window’s valance is coming off Slide out quit working. No instructions as to how to move the slide out by hand. Mattress is collapsing on both sides. As of Aug. 17, 2019: Total time spent in the unit since purchase: 40 days. Total kms on the road since purchase: 4800 kms.
- G. Van Apeldoorn, Alberta

2019-08-06 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

I was so excited to purchase this in August of 2018. Everyone who had one seemed to love them. I was concerned about the looks of the sealant as it was in globs and under the awning had drips of dried sealant coming from under awning. However, I knew we would keep an eye on things and keep everything maintained, so I didn't worry too much. Everything was going fairly well with the R-Pod until this last week. We were travelling and hit a very small pot hole. My husband nor I paid too much attention to the bump. We arrived at the camp site and when I let the slide out I noticed the floor bulging. My husband looked underneath and the frame had completely bent. Trailer totaled and not covered under warranty... Such flimsy quality, we will never own another one.
- Stefanie Simpson, Louisiana

2019-07-23 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

Only had the pod for a month, faucet on sink came loose, the door to bathroom came unhinged, poor quality workman ship for the money I paid, floor plan is okay for two of us, easy to tow, however the safety chains is one link too short, the r pod did not come with all the items needed to live in the pod, like electric cord, water hose, sewer hose, jack, four way. Dealer did not take the time to explain to us the in and out of operating the pod, seen like they just wanted a sale, the past month been a learning experience for us, hopefully we can make our first trip soon
- Leonard, West Virginia

2019-06-21 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

Positively: - The unit is light and very easy to pull. - It is aesthetically pleasing and good to look at. - For a small trailer, this model of kitchen is quite adequate. Less positively: - The sink in the bathroom is so small, it simply cannot be used. - I cannot believe I spent this much money and they did not include an electric igniter in the stove. Really? - The panel underneath the refrigerator covering all of the wires has come off. It has been poorly and cheaply installed with metal staples. - The plastic box holding the two batteries has been installed too close to the outside roof. It is next to impossible to remove the cover of the box and replace it. All they had to do was have the box another inch further away from the roof. - The end cushions for the table are way too soft, and when a person sits on them, they sink so far down that the table height is up to a person’s chest! - The back cushion is held to the wall with some Velcro, but not enough of them, and the Velcro strips do not stick to the backing of the cushion. - The clothes closet is ridiculously too narrow. - The kitchen table is an awkward design and difficult to get around. - The overall main problem with the unit is a lack of storage. In conclusion, the product is very poorly designed and made with shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. I traded a 9 foot camper with a slide, for this r-pod and I regret doing it. I had more space and far more storage in my camper than I do in this trailer. I very much regret buying this product and would not recommend it to anyone. In short, it is a piece of junk.
- Dr. S. R. Watkins, Alberta

2019-06-13 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-171 View Listings

Purchased RPod 171 new 1/21/19 camping in Sierras 6/7/19 Water heater won't light after 4 tries it caught FIRE , Called local dealer month wait to get in for service contacted Forest River and I'm getting the Email RUN A ROUND , ALSO Refrigerator on coodest setting is barely cold and 2 window blinds are broken .NOT at all happy with my new RPod
- Guy Hacker, California

2019-05-13 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-189 View Listings

This RV was perfect for what it was intended to do. It is small enough to drive safely through mountain ranges and offers everything a couple and 2 small children would need. There is plenty of storage, it is lightweight, and drives easily. The awning was a wonderful addition for rainy days and the LED lights give off plenty of light in the evenings. The outdoor shower is great for rinsing off before entering the RV. The outdoor shower even has hot water. The tanks, compared to other RVs reviewed, are of a larger capacity for this size camper. The shower area is also larger than others and is not a wet bath. Another great feature of this camper is that it has a thermostat to control heat and air conditioning. Others compared did not. Another great feature is that the camper's heater runs off of propane, the refrigerator can run either by battery, propane, or 30 amp service. There is also a solar connection for those wanting to boondock. It is a great camper for long range trips and exploring. Always a place to rest and since it is a travel trailer, it easily detaches from a vehicle for scouting around town without having the camper attached.
- Carmen Howard, South Carolina

2019-04-11 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

We purchased this unit used (barely), and have lived it full-time for 7 months. Pros: Lightweight, easy to tow, 3 way fridge, convection microwave, aluminum wheels, decent tires. Cons: Very poor construction. The side wall separated from the front wall due to design and assembly defects. Forest River agreed to pay for the repair even though we are the second owner, which is to their credit, but I had to do the repair myself due to our location. Numerous leaks and loose screws that have required repair. The lights look like they were installed without any use of a ruler or jig to ensure that they line up. There is very little inside storage (2 small drawers, 1 under-sink cabinet, 1 overhead cabinet in the slide out kitchen); the external storage is okay, with a pass-through in the rear and side access in the front. There is under-dinette storage, but it is not easy to access. The east-west bed is in the rear, and difficult to exit from the back end when someone is sleeping on the inside. We have done numerous mods to improve the unit due to the lack of factory features, including adding 12v and USB ports, fresh tank heater, shelves and a larger table (we removed the head end of the U shaped dinette and added drawers on either side). RPods are cute due to the teardrop shape, which is good for aerodynamics, but with no overhead cabinets in the front or rear, it's not worth the trade off versus a more conventional design. The RP-179 is a much better floor plan if you really want an RPod, but, if you want a quality unit, choose another brand.
- RV Pilgrims, Arizona

2019-03-04 2015 Forest River R-Pod RP-171 View Listings

Super easy to tow with a small truck or SUV. Good construction quality and packed with features. .
- Gregory W Schultz, North Carolina

2019-03-03 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We rented an R-Pod because we basically wanted to “try before we buy.” The quality and workmanship is horrible. I can see where it’s leaking from along with a plethora of issues such as structural integrity of the cabinets. I started to dig a little about Forest River. They pay their employees well and more NOT for the craftsmanship but their speed. The faster they work the more they make. It’s no wonder I’m seeing all these issues in the unit we rented. I’m actually ashamed that they are made in America. At this point I’d trust the same units made in China over the ones made here and that says a lot. My advice rent them first.
- Mark, Pennsylvania

2019-01-02 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

We've had this 1.5 years now and have towed it all over the western US with a Nissan Frontier. We do enjoy the layout, but not the quality of materials or the craftmanship! I like the 'off-roadiness' but don't like the fact that the wheel width is super wide for dirt roads! We tend to get out about once every 3 months for a week or so and continually have to fix something; seats, wiring, plugs, water system (that freezes way too easily), Jensen stereo that's been warrantied and still seems to have issues among other items. I really wish it was made just a bit better! As noted in other reviews, be careful when filling the water tank to full capacity as it can change the towing dynamics! We've also changed to 2 6v deep cycle batteries as we camp mostly off grid in remote areas. This said, there are things I like, the slide out (but watch the seal to make sure it doesn't leak!), the bed is nice, and the size and weight are good. Yet it would be nice to have additional inside storage instead of a microwave, and a lower overall weight and lower height by having no air conditioner or exterior TV antennae. We have never used these item nor will use them. It seemed that every R-Pod on the lot had these items installed, but yet listed them as optional. Frustrating! Oh yes, the graphics...how many can you really put on a trailer!?! We have taken off most of them and have ran across many other owners who have done the same. It's a bit too many stuck all over! So when all's said and done, we paid for a lot of items we don't like or use that are evidently 'standard options' and the quality is lower than we would like. That said, we do like the trailer as it's a great size for the 2 of us and the layout, and slider are really nice!
- Mike Fieguth, Oregon

2018-11-13 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

The R-Pod 180 is an incredibly comfortable small camper. It is our 2nd R-pod, the first being a 177, which we loved but the bathroom was just not user friendly. Nearly impossible for an average sized man to change clothes in there, no storage for towels or TP. The open feeling floor plan of the 180 and larger bathroom that offered space and convenience of big camper bathrooms made a huge difference in the 180’s livability. We are a retired couple with who loves to travel and spend a lot of time out of doors, So having a great amount of inside living space was not necessary. The R-dome is one of our favorite things about the R-pod. It gave us an outdoor room with shade, protection from mosquitoes and flies, and depending on how many flaps you close, protection from rain and a little privacy to have your coffee outside in your jammies and robe in the morning. Since we do a lot of campfire or grill cooking, a huge kitchen is also not an issue and there is plenty of prep room in the 180. Over all, we are very happy with the camper and have had no issues that a little warranty work didn’t correct. Our dealer was great and apparently had no problems with Forest River. The concept is fantastic, compact, concise and a convenient place for everything you need on the road. Lots of storage and well thought our floor plan. For the camper who doesn’t want to “take it all with them” on long weekends, or even a couple weeks, It is ideal! We even spent 3 months in it our first time out, and the only thing that might be considered a negative is the small fridge which meant more trips to the grocery on that long a journey. The camper heats easily with a small ceramic heater and cools off quickly with either the vent fan or A/C if needed. The only other reservation for us; the camper ‘can’ sleep three, but it’s not really intended for more than two comfortably. Now that our grandkids are getting a little older we’d like to have room for one or two at a time once in a while. All in all, it’s a great camper!
- Pamela Couling, Michigan

2018-10-03 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We purchased this RV because we wanted something smaller with a good floorplan. The rear kitchen in this model gives plenty of room and storage as compared to other RV's of this size. The front Queen bed is very comfortable. The All-in-one bathroom is functional but, the sink and shower are not very user friendly. The dinette cushions are the most uncomfortable we ever sat on. We replaced them with a leather jacknife sofa. The R-pod towed extremely well with a Ford F-150. would recommend this model to younger couples or singles that don't want to spend a lot of money and want a unit that is easy to tow, park and setup.
- Mark Schneider, Arizona

2018-09-24 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-172 View Listings

Most of the RPod is good. We have enjoyed it except for one thing. The RPod leaks. It has leaked around the spoiler since we owned it and Forest River refuses to fix it. They claim it is part of yearly maintenance. I would agree EXCEPT it has leaked since we owned it. So it appears they expect the owner the fix the seals immediately upon buying it. Apparently they are toooo incompetent to fix it in the beginning. So I would NEVER BUY A FOREST RIVER PRODUCT AGAIN AND I ADVISE YOU TO NOT BUY THERE PRODUCT EITHER. thank you.
- Gary Jatzlau, Virginia

2018-05-28 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

I could not recommend this camper to anyone . Literally every time I use it something breaks . The rollers on slideout fell out the first time I used it . Then the converter went out. Blind fell off wall ,electric distribution panel came completley out. Stripped screws everywhere. Very poorly built . It is for sale. Will pay up and buy an airstream.
- Mark Ackerman , Alaska

2017-09-28 2013 Forest River R-Pod RP-181G View Listings

Listen up Rpod owners. You may like your NEW Rpod, but wait a little while. Mine is a 2013 model with 5k miles on it and the roof leaks like a Rain Forest (River). When I checked it out, the dum-dum putty they use to seal the critical stuff is cracking so badly it can hold water. Yes, it began to leak after only 2 years. Why do they use this stuff when silicone costs pennies more? Cost is everything to Uncle Warren. The roof leaks have ruined my interior headliner and rain has caused a cosmetic buckle in the wall exterior covering. If you store an Rpod it must be in a covered building or you will likely go pick it up one day and find the same issues. Called FR and they said my roof warranty was 90 days!!! I asked them why and was told FR expects dealers to reseal roofs every 3-6 months. Really? Yes, it's in your book. Ridiculous. Well I hollered and made a general fuss but FR is a Berkshire Hathaway Uncle Warren Buffet company and there was no give in their sorrow for my plight. So Monday I go back 150 miles to my dealer to have $450-700 work done to put the lil pod back in shape to trade it off. We love everything about it but the poor workmanship. It's light and livable for 2. It pulls great on a back wilderness road. But, by golly, you better be towing under blue skies.
- Michael Sherwood, Texas

2017-09-18 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

09.18.2017 Update: We are now at 19 weeks with absolutely no resolution to the "refrigerator" not being able to cool. We have finally been able to figure out that both Forest River and dealer have known about the issues with the refrigerators in the Rpods. Judy advised on 09.15.2017 that these particular refrigerators are NOT able to maintain an acceptable cool temperature when the outside temperature is 90 degrees or higher. As we purchased this brand new 2016 Rpod & then used it (only 3 times between September 2016-May 2017 ) this Rpod 180 in Kansas where normal temperatures can range from 90-100+ degrees from May to October or later (plus this is a travel travel for our retirement) this is unacceptable. We can't believe that Forest River & dealer is even selling them here!!! So we are hiring an attorney to fight for us against Forest River, dealer and their lack of concern or accountability. My husband is both a Senior Citizen & a Vietnam Veteran. I'm a peacetime Veteran. So we are saddened to have to spend so much time, money & effort on this. I am so sorry to have to write this review but as of today our brand new 2016 Rpod has been at the local dealership in Wichita, Kansas since May 15, 2017. We purchased it September 12, 2016 brand new off the lot with a 1 year warranty. We've had it out maybe 3 times (in the fall & in May) but the refrigerator stopped being cool. It was keeping a low temp of high 40s to 50s which is not acceptable. They 1st were told by the makers of the refrigerator to fix this. Fix that for the next 2-3 weeks. I'm sorry that's not acceptable. We purchased a brand new RV so we wouldn't have these type of issues. As of today we know there's at least 5 refrigerators between our RV & 2 others including a 2017 model. I say buyer beware as Forest River is NOT backing their products. I soooo wish we had never purchased this as we are now headed into the 14th week with no solution ... we paid good money for this piece of junk apparently!!! VERY ANGRY IN KANSAS!!!
- Chuck & Jonny Thompson , Kansas

2017-08-26 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

Pro: Hood River addition looks rugged Con: virtually everything else. Sets a new standard for LOW quality materials, poor workmanship, and safety. Assembled with pine and staples. Most of the staples missed resulting in poor connection and is falling apart. Exterior lense covers are falling off, currently missing 3. Air conditioner is so loud we can barely talk while it is working. The refrigerator is built like a cheep plastic toy. I believe the safety issue us very serious. The fresh water tank is at the back of the trailer and is 36 gallons. If you fill it before hitting the road you are adding 300 pounds behind the axle and will cause the trailer to sway out of control. We are very disappointed and never purchase a forest river product again.
- Craig Priest, Arizona

2017-08-26 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

- Craig Priest, Arizona

2017-08-05 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

I was traveling around 55 on interstate 5 in the trucking lane just outside of Roseburg, Or. I had been driving for over 100 miles with no problem when all of a sudden the trailer fishtailed, threw my Subaru backward and against the guard rail. The rPod tipped over totaling my car. I don't think they are safe.
- Kathleen Coffey, Oregon

2017-08-05 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

- Kathleen Coffey, Oregon

2017-07-10 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

We bought our rpod new from Bretz in Missoula, MT. The rpods are cute looking travel trailers from the outside, but the inside is very cheaply put together. We have camped in it only twice and have had to fix the bed and the seating area. And we are very small people. The seating area was only put together with 3 staples on the top end so easily came apart once being used. There is goo on the bathroom wall that we are working to try to get off and everytime we pull it there ends up with lots of wood shavings on the floor that obviously whomever tried to put it together didn't clean up. The water under the sink leaked initially but hopefully that is fixed. There is one outside storage area door that is very hard to open and then get closed. I do like the lay out of the rpod and the towability is good. With all the campers to choose from out there I would not buy an rpod again or recommend buying one to any of my friends or family. Look around. There will be campers out there that are built well on the inside and the outside. The rpod is not one of them.
- Marlys, Montana

2017-06-13 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

Pros: Cute, good design, easily towed. Cons: Cheapest quality, flimsiest materials, crudest workmanship imaginable!! Silicone caulk looks as if it were applied with a spatula by someone who was interested only in getting the work done as quickly as possible. Smudgy handprints everywhere. Perhaps I just got a lemon, but parts were broken, pieces missing, and poor alignment of everything. There was evidence of water leakage around the windows which might explain the slathering of silicone all over the exterior in a futile effort to fix the problem. I do not know if it is standard practice for R-Pod dealerships, but when I called to request replacement (warranty) parts, I was required to hand over the defective part before it would be replaced. The most frustrating part was that only the individual who sold it to me at the dealership could order parts or make a correction. It will take two to three weeks to be delivered to the dealership.
- James, Washington

2017-05-24 2015 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We love our RPOD we took it out first time and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, it was so easy to pull in and out of the pull offs along the way. Easy to park at campgrounds. So far everything works good except refrigerator and it beeps all the blessed time when we are out. We just use an ice chest now. Dealer told us we weren't level is why it did that but even level it still beeps. Took it out twice to the lake in October and miraculously it didn't beep. Next trip beeping away camped in exact spot all three times. But all in all I love the RPOD mostly because we can take it all the places we couldn't take the big fifth wheel. And it's fairly comfy, got rid of seating back cushion right away and added my own cushions. Took out table and opted for fold up TV trays. More room that way. Love it!
- Debby Landrum?, Oklahoma