Forest River R-Pod Reviews on RV Insider (45)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River R-Pod RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Randy Pollock from Texas says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

After much research, we decided to purchase a 2017 Rpod 179 from a dealer in Mesquite, Texas. Although the dealer is approximately 300 miles from our home in San Antonio, we felt confident that the combined quality of the traler and the assurance that we "could take it to any Forrest River dealer for service"', we would be safe. (There is no Rpod dealer within a 100 miles of where we live). The first time we had a problem with the electric tongue lift not working, we found that "any Forrest River dealer" for repairs was true. In fact, even with with Forrest River's help, we were left with called Ngo numerous dealers only to say no and offer no assistance. Fortunately, I did find an area Forrest River dealer has worked very hard to help us. They were the only dealer of 6 which I called that was willing to help us. Although they are not an RPod dealer, they have done much to help us. There has been a series of issues with the RPod which have greatly undermined my confidence in my camper. So far, our 6 month old camper has had considerable problems . Beginning with a defective tongue lift, we found ourselves with a heather that was so loud, we stopped using it and plugged in a stand alone. (Reported to be a piece of packing plastic inside the unit). We have experienced a water leak which flooded the rear storage compartment.(Break at the city water inlet). An A/C unit with a part missing that makes too much noise to use until the part comes in. (2 weeks in the shop so far). Blue caulk scattered on numerous portions of the black framing. Decals beginning peel in some places. This unit sold for $22 k before discount. The most a dealer will allow on trade is $9k. We are trapped in a camper that we have no faith in manufactured by a company we have no faith in and sold by a dealer we have no faith in. If I had a do over, I would have purchased something from a local dealer and it would not have been a Forrest River product.
- Randy Pollock, Texas

2020-03-15 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

There is nothing that hasn’t fallen off including outside light fixtures, thermostat, smoke detector, walls. The seating is so cheap and uncomfortable . No storage and the pullout has to be out to go to the bathroom. We wasted our money. Don’t enjoy it at all. A lot of people have ask us about it and we tell them it’s a big waste of money. Cheap! When we buy another one we will do our homework and it WON’T be a Forest River!
- Jean Martin, Massachusetts

2020-02-10 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-196 View Listings

We drove from Ogden, Utah to Hamilton, Ohio to purchase the new 2020 R-pod model 196 last Sept. 2019 from Couches R.V. The first day driving home the bathroom pocket door screws stripped from the door, dropping it to the ground and rendering it impossible to open/close. We have replaced the screws, tried to glue in place, nothing has worked. It continues to fall every time we drive anywhere. We also had our black tank connector come apart dragging it on the ground. Had to tie it up until we could replace screws. We previously owned a 2015 model 179 and found it to be well made. This model appears to be built with less quality. The rounded walls inside, while looking nice, are very flimsy and the trim strips are only glued on and some are pulling away. The vinyl on the couch has already scratched off in one place and we have been very careful. Fortunately, so far all of the systems have worked well... heater, air, water pump, fridge, freezer, etc. We have not had time yet to take it in to our dealer for repairs since we have had reservations for camping and have spent 2 months in Palm Springs. Hopefully we will have no problems getting repairs when we return home this month.
- Carrie Allen, Utah

2019-12-23 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-195 View Listings

Drove from Northern CA to Hamilton, Ohio to purchase new RPOD195. We left Couch's RV Nation (dealer) 10/13 to camp and enjoy our RPOD. 10/24 - the window broke (nothing was found inside the RV) Brian Combs, warranty person at Couch's said window was defective and would be covered under warranty The Forest River sales rep was at the dealers and gave the "ok." We were told to stay in hotels because of the amount of glass inside the trailer and that all of our expenses would be paid. Told the window would be express shipped to the RV place in Lubbock Texas. We stayed in Lubbock waiting for 4 days. Mr. Combs called to say he wasn't able to get a window for 10-12 days. Instructed us to head home. Approved the RV repair in Fortuna, CA. We left Lubbock 10/29 and arrived home 10/31. Monday, 11/4, called Mr.Combs and asked him to call our RV Repair place. They did not want to take a Forest River warranty job. Brian Called and told them it was all under warranty and FR would issue a check to them. December 6 - Mr. Combs called and said nothing would be covered under warranty: not the hotels, the slide (which did not go all the way in or out), the box part of the dinette which had come off of the floor and some of the trim which had fallen off. Things have gone downhill from there. Dec. After time and many phone calls - I learned the window was shipped from the Forest River Factory to Couch's RV Nation. They sent the window back to Forest River because "I was no longer their problem." I found someone who was willing to take some time and help me from Forest River:Stella Garcia. She let me know the window was shipped 12/20 and would get to the RV Repair in Fortuna 1/3. I would never deal with Forest River again. I would urge others not to use Couch's RV Nation. They made so many commitments to me and reneged on every single promise.
- Vikki Bernstein, California

2019-12-07 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

I bought a very slightly used Rpod 180. It seemed perfect for my use. However, I have found the workmanship beyond disappointing. I have had to fix the leaky roof that was obviously repaired before. After using the camper for a while, I began to see several factory shortcuts in the trim and other areas. Very disappointed in the craftsmanship, especially for the price. I expected so much more from a Forest River product. I have owned 2 other campers from them. This will probably be my last.
- Robert Stacy, Missouri

2019-10-11 2020 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

Purchased April 2019,has to take the RV back to Empire RV I Liberty Texas, dropped off the trailer in August, still waiting on simple parts from Forest River. Invest your hard earned money with a different manufacturer. I am making second RV payment on the trailer since I dropped the trailer at Empire RV in liberty Texas. I have had to cancel a couple of trips, tailgating trip and camping trip. The bathroom vanity fell off the bathroom wall, damaging the bathroom door, shower curtain, and shower base. Forest River needs to be educated on paneling anchors, these anchors won't hold the weight of the bathroom vanity, need to install support wall framing behind the vanity. Can't fix Stupid.
- Thomas Quinn, Texas

2019-09-23 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

This 2016 R-pod 180 is easy to tow. I have towed with Highlander with no problem even on several hundred mile drive. It is small, cramped for two people and gets cluttered easily. The bed is hard to make against three walls. Storage space is good. The fridge is small but usable. It frosts up easily on humid days. The items in the fridge have been wet. The gas stove is fine. The microwave works well and I have had no problems yet. The shower is usable but very small. The black and grey water tanks are sufficient as is water tank. Winterizing and spring opening require removal of two boards under the bed after removal of the mattress. The overall build quality is fair to poor. The converter went out on a trip last year(two years-seldom use) This left me without electricity, lights, fridge and anything electric. I had to replace it myself with a better model. Sawdust was present after trips. Particle board is used throughout. The air conditioner is very loud and impossible to sleep while in use. The sink fell out and that is my current problem. I should not have to be fixing any of these items after three years. The warranty dies with sale to another and overall after one year. The sales/service place want to know if I bought it there when called for repairs. So much better than the tents we used for years but I expected better.
- Robinson, Wisconsin

2019-09-06 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

R-Pod did great for I purchased it for (traveling). We have a 5th wheel that we use for local camping. Need something short and easy to tow and didn’t have to worry about low clearance bridges. Also, many campgrounds in the West will not accommodate campers over 25 feet. Only problem with R-Pod is bed is only 6 foot long and I am 6’2”.
- Archie Jenkins, Alabama

2019-08-19 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-183G View Listings

This was the best learning/fun little RV! We traveled fairly close to home and met wonderful people along the way. New chapter in our lives to begin so we must bid aidue ☹️ Have loved this camper. I cooked over the fire, used our grill and loved the outside kitchen. Never lost the feeling of being outside because we mostly were!!
- Mary Lou Loyd, New Jersey

2019-08-17 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

Upon pick up in Sept. 17 a number of items were not done properly, all small in nature. When coming back in April 2018 with the final towing vehicle for installation of the brake controller, I was charged another $ 200.00 because the intended controller did not fit my vehicle. I have e-mails proving they were aware of the make and type of the towing vehicle since Aug. 2017 Cover plate of the stereo was loose Exterior lock did not work. Drawer not properly fitted, so it opened when driving Numerous pieces of trim too short, off color etc. Left front bench improperly placed. Caused the covering sheet of plywood to fall through when someone sat on it. Refused to install missing spice rack, in spite of clear documentation and photos showing it. Windows extremely hard to slide from the closed position. Handle of one of the drain pipe gates broke in two pieces Cover plate for the sewer storage tube broken. Hotwatertank sprung a leak in our absence, flooding the rear of the unit and blowing the control system. Battery either does not hold any power or there is a severe electrical leak in the system draining the battery in less than 12 hours. Right front window’s valance is coming off Slide out quit working. No instructions as to how to move the slide out by hand. Mattress is collapsing on both sides. As of Aug. 17, 2019: Total time spent in the unit since purchase: 40 days. Total kms on the road since purchase: 4800 kms.
- G. Van Apeldoorn, Alberta

2019-08-06 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

I was so excited to purchase this in August of 2018. Everyone who had one seemed to love them. I was concerned about the looks of the sealant as it was in globs and under the awning had drips of dried sealant coming from under awning. However, I knew we would keep an eye on things and keep everything maintained, so I didn't worry too much. Everything was going fairly well with the R-Pod until this last week. We were travelling and hit a very small pot hole. My husband nor I paid too much attention to the bump. We arrived at the camp site and when I let the slide out I noticed the floor bulging. My husband looked underneath and the frame had completely bent. Trailer totaled and not covered under warranty... Such flimsy quality, we will never own another one.
- Stefanie Simpson, Louisiana

2019-07-23 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-190 View Listings

Only had the pod for a month, faucet on sink came loose, the door to bathroom came unhinged, poor quality workman ship for the money I paid, floor plan is okay for two of us, easy to tow, however the safety chains is one link too short, the r pod did not come with all the items needed to live in the pod, like electric cord, water hose, sewer hose, jack, four way. Dealer did not take the time to explain to us the in and out of operating the pod, seen like they just wanted a sale, the past month been a learning experience for us, hopefully we can make our first trip soon
- Leonard, West Virginia

2019-06-21 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

Positively: - The unit is light and very easy to pull. - It is aesthetically pleasing and good to look at. - For a small trailer, this model of kitchen is quite adequate. Less positively: - The sink in the bathroom is so small, it simply cannot be used. - I cannot believe I spent this much money and they did not include an electric igniter in the stove. Really? - The panel underneath the refrigerator covering all of the wires has come off. It has been poorly and cheaply installed with metal staples. - The plastic box holding the two batteries has been installed too close to the outside roof. It is next to impossible to remove the cover of the box and replace it. All they had to do was have the box another inch further away from the roof. - The end cushions for the table are way too soft, and when a person sits on them, they sink so far down that the table height is up to a person’s chest! - The back cushion is held to the wall with some Velcro, but not enough of them, and the Velcro strips do not stick to the backing of the cushion. - The clothes closet is ridiculously too narrow. - The kitchen table is an awkward design and difficult to get around. - The overall main problem with the unit is a lack of storage. In conclusion, the product is very poorly designed and made with shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. I traded a 9 foot camper with a slide, for this r-pod and I regret doing it. I had more space and far more storage in my camper than I do in this trailer. I very much regret buying this product and would not recommend it to anyone. In short, it is a piece of junk.
- Dr. S. R. Watkins, Alberta

2019-06-13 2019 Forest River R-Pod RP-171 View Listings

Purchased RPod 171 new 1/21/19 camping in Sierras 6/7/19 Water heater won't light after 4 tries it caught FIRE , Called local dealer month wait to get in for service contacted Forest River and I'm getting the Email RUN A ROUND , ALSO Refrigerator on coodest setting is barely cold and 2 window blinds are broken .NOT at all happy with my new RPod
- Guy Hacker, California

2019-05-13 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-189 View Listings

This RV was perfect for what it was intended to do. It is small enough to drive safely through mountain ranges and offers everything a couple and 2 small children would need. There is plenty of storage, it is lightweight, and drives easily. The awning was a wonderful addition for rainy days and the LED lights give off plenty of light in the evenings. The outdoor shower is great for rinsing off before entering the RV. The outdoor shower even has hot water. The tanks, compared to other RVs reviewed, are of a larger capacity for this size camper. The shower area is also larger than others and is not a wet bath. Another great feature of this camper is that it has a thermostat to control heat and air conditioning. Others compared did not. Another great feature is that the camper's heater runs off of propane, the refrigerator can run either by battery, propane, or 30 amp service. There is also a solar connection for those wanting to boondock. It is a great camper for long range trips and exploring. Always a place to rest and since it is a travel trailer, it easily detaches from a vehicle for scouting around town without having the camper attached.
- Carmen Howard, South Carolina

2019-04-11 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-178 View Listings

We purchased this unit used (barely), and have lived it full-time for 7 months. Pros: Lightweight, easy to tow, 3 way fridge, convection microwave, aluminum wheels, decent tires. Cons: Very poor construction. The side wall separated from the front wall due to design and assembly defects. Forest River agreed to pay for the repair even though we are the second owner, which is to their credit, but I had to do the repair myself due to our location. Numerous leaks and loose screws that have required repair. The lights look like they were installed without any use of a ruler or jig to ensure that they line up. There is very little inside storage (2 small drawers, 1 under-sink cabinet, 1 overhead cabinet in the slide out kitchen); the external storage is okay, with a pass-through in the rear and side access in the front. There is under-dinette storage, but it is not easy to access. The east-west bed is in the rear, and difficult to exit from the back end when someone is sleeping on the inside. We have done numerous mods to improve the unit due to the lack of factory features, including adding 12v and USB ports, fresh tank heater, shelves and a larger table (we removed the head end of the U shaped dinette and added drawers on either side). RPods are cute due to the teardrop shape, which is good for aerodynamics, but with no overhead cabinets in the front or rear, it's not worth the trade off versus a more conventional design. The RP-179 is a much better floor plan if you really want an RPod, but, if you want a quality unit, choose another brand.
- RV Pilgrims, Arizona

2019-03-04 2015 Forest River R-Pod RP-171 View Listings

Super easy to tow with a small truck or SUV. Good construction quality and packed with features. .
- Gregory W Schultz, North Carolina

2019-03-03 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We rented an R-Pod because we basically wanted to “try before we buy.” The quality and workmanship is horrible. I can see where it’s leaking from along with a plethora of issues such as structural integrity of the cabinets. I started to dig a little about Forest River. They pay their employees well and more NOT for the craftsmanship but their speed. The faster they work the more they make. It’s no wonder I’m seeing all these issues in the unit we rented. I’m actually ashamed that they are made in America. At this point I’d trust the same units made in China over the ones made here and that says a lot. My advice rent them first.
- Mark, Pennsylvania

2019-01-02 2017 Forest River R-Pod RP-177 View Listings

We've had this 1.5 years now and have towed it all over the western US with a Nissan Frontier. We do enjoy the layout, but not the quality of materials or the craftmanship! I like the 'off-roadiness' but don't like the fact that the wheel width is super wide for dirt roads! We tend to get out about once every 3 months for a week or so and continually have to fix something; seats, wiring, plugs, water system (that freezes way too easily), Jensen stereo that's been warrantied and still seems to have issues among other items. I really wish it was made just a bit better! As noted in other reviews, be careful when filling the water tank to full capacity as it can change the towing dynamics! We've also changed to 2 6v deep cycle batteries as we camp mostly off grid in remote areas. This said, there are things I like, the slide out (but watch the seal to make sure it doesn't leak!), the bed is nice, and the size and weight are good. Yet it would be nice to have additional inside storage instead of a microwave, and a lower overall weight and lower height by having no air conditioner or exterior TV antennae. We have never used these item nor will use them. It seemed that every R-Pod on the lot had these items installed, but yet listed them as optional. Frustrating! Oh yes, the graphics...how many can you really put on a trailer!?! We have taken off most of them and have ran across many other owners who have done the same. It's a bit too many stuck all over! So when all's said and done, we paid for a lot of items we don't like or use that are evidently 'standard options' and the quality is lower than we would like. That said, we do like the trailer as it's a great size for the 2 of us and the layout, and slider are really nice!
- Mike Fieguth, Oregon

2018-11-13 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

The R-Pod 180 is an incredibly comfortable small camper. It is our 2nd R-pod, the first being a 177, which we loved but the bathroom was just not user friendly. Nearly impossible for an average sized man to change clothes in there, no storage for towels or TP. The open feeling floor plan of the 180 and larger bathroom that offered space and convenience of big camper bathrooms made a huge difference in the 180’s livability. We are a retired couple with who loves to travel and spend a lot of time out of doors, So having a great amount of inside living space was not necessary. The R-dome is one of our favorite things about the R-pod. It gave us an outdoor room with shade, protection from mosquitoes and flies, and depending on how many flaps you close, protection from rain and a little privacy to have your coffee outside in your jammies and robe in the morning. Since we do a lot of campfire or grill cooking, a huge kitchen is also not an issue and there is plenty of prep room in the 180. Over all, we are very happy with the camper and have had no issues that a little warranty work didn’t correct. Our dealer was great and apparently had no problems with Forest River. The concept is fantastic, compact, concise and a convenient place for everything you need on the road. Lots of storage and well thought our floor plan. For the camper who doesn’t want to “take it all with them” on long weekends, or even a couple weeks, It is ideal! We even spent 3 months in it our first time out, and the only thing that might be considered a negative is the small fridge which meant more trips to the grocery on that long a journey. The camper heats easily with a small ceramic heater and cools off quickly with either the vent fan or A/C if needed. The only other reservation for us; the camper ‘can’ sleep three, but it’s not really intended for more than two comfortably. Now that our grandkids are getting a little older we’d like to have room for one or two at a time once in a while. All in all, it’s a great camper!
- Pamela Couling, Michigan

2018-10-03 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-179 View Listings

We purchased this RV because we wanted something smaller with a good floorplan. The rear kitchen in this model gives plenty of room and storage as compared to other RV's of this size. The front Queen bed is very comfortable. The All-in-one bathroom is functional but, the sink and shower are not very user friendly. The dinette cushions are the most uncomfortable we ever sat on. We replaced them with a leather jacknife sofa. The R-pod towed extremely well with a Ford F-150. would recommend this model to younger couples or singles that don't want to spend a lot of money and want a unit that is easy to tow, park and setup.
- Mark Schneider, Arizona

2018-09-24 2018 Forest River R-Pod RP-172 View Listings

Most of the RPod is good. We have enjoyed it except for one thing. The RPod leaks. It has leaked around the spoiler since we owned it and Forest River refuses to fix it. They claim it is part of yearly maintenance. I would agree EXCEPT it has leaked since we owned it. So it appears they expect the owner the fix the seals immediately upon buying it. Apparently they are toooo incompetent to fix it in the beginning. So I would NEVER BUY A FOREST RIVER PRODUCT AGAIN AND I ADVISE YOU TO NOT BUY THERE PRODUCT EITHER. thank you.
- Gary Jatzlau, Virginia

2018-05-28 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

I could not recommend this camper to anyone . Literally every time I use it something breaks . The rollers on slideout fell out the first time I used it . Then the converter went out. Blind fell off wall ,electric distribution panel came completley out. Stripped screws everywhere. Very poorly built . It is for sale. Will pay up and buy an airstream.
- Mark Ackerman , Alaska

2017-09-28 2013 Forest River R-Pod RP-181G View Listings

Listen up Rpod owners. You may like your NEW Rpod, but wait a little while. Mine is a 2013 model with 5k miles on it and the roof leaks like a Rain Forest (River). When I checked it out, the dum-dum putty they use to seal the critical stuff is cracking so badly it can hold water. Yes, it began to leak after only 2 years. Why do they use this stuff when silicone costs pennies more? Cost is everything to Uncle Warren. The roof leaks have ruined my interior headliner and rain has caused a cosmetic buckle in the wall exterior covering. If you store an Rpod it must be in a covered building or you will likely go pick it up one day and find the same issues. Called FR and they said my roof warranty was 90 days!!! I asked them why and was told FR expects dealers to reseal roofs every 3-6 months. Really? Yes, it's in your book. Ridiculous. Well I hollered and made a general fuss but FR is a Berkshire Hathaway Uncle Warren Buffet company and there was no give in their sorrow for my plight. So Monday I go back 150 miles to my dealer to have $450-700 work done to put the lil pod back in shape to trade it off. We love everything about it but the poor workmanship. It's light and livable for 2. It pulls great on a back wilderness road. But, by golly, you better be towing under blue skies.
- Michael Sherwood, Texas

2017-09-18 2016 Forest River R-Pod RP-180 View Listings

09.18.2017 Update: We are now at 19 weeks with absolutely no resolution to the "refrigerator" not being able to cool. We have finally been able to figure out that both Forest River and dealer have known about the issues with the refrigerators in the Rpods. Judy advised on 09.15.2017 that these particular refrigerators are NOT able to maintain an acceptable cool temperature when the outside temperature is 90 degrees or higher. As we purchased this brand new 2016 Rpod & then used it (only 3 times between September 2016-May 2017 ) this Rpod 180 in Kansas where normal temperatures can range from 90-100+ degrees from May to October or later (plus this is a travel travel for our retirement) this is unacceptable. We can't believe that Forest River & dealer is even selling them here!!! So we are hiring an attorney to fight for us against Forest River, dealer and their lack of concern or accountability. My husband is both a Senior Citizen & a Vietnam Veteran. I'm a peacetime Veteran. So we are saddened to have to spend so much time, money & effort on this. I am so sorry to have to write this review but as of today our brand new 2016 Rpod has been at the local dealership in Wichita, Kansas since May 15, 2017. We purchased it September 12, 2016 brand new off the lot with a 1 year warranty. We've had it out maybe 3 times (in the fall & in May) but the refrigerator stopped being cool. It was keeping a low temp of high 40s to 50s which is not acceptable. They 1st were told by the makers of the refrigerator to fix this. Fix that for the next 2-3 weeks. I'm sorry that's not acceptable. We purchased a brand new RV so we wouldn't have these type of issues. As of today we know there's at least 5 refrigerators between our RV & 2 others including a 2017 model. I say buyer beware as Forest River is NOT backing their products. I soooo wish we had never purchased this as we are now headed into the 14th week with no solution ... we paid good money for this piece of junk apparently!!! VERY ANGRY IN KANSAS!!!
- Chuck & Jonny Thompson , Kansas