Forest River FR3 RVs Reviews (30)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River FR3 RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

Jody Hicks from Alabama says:

Have you owned any Forest River FR3 RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2017 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We are first time buyers and have had a great experience so far. Everything has worked as advertised. Purchase - Received amazing support from Bankston Motorhomes who bent over backwards for us and answered all of our questions prior to the purchase. Believe we received a fair price. They are all heavily discounted which I guess is supposed to make you feel like you got a great deal. We understand it is an entry level model and have read all of the horror stories but we have been pleasantly surprised. Drivability - Installed a steering stabilizer before taking delivery after reading all of the reviews. I probably could have installed it myself after watching Safe T Plus's You Tube video. There are adjustments to be made after it is installed so keep that in mind otherwise you will have tracking issues. Without ever driving an RV before we loaded up our RAV4 on the car dolly and drove it home. We had no issues and I was surprised at how easy it was to maneuver. The engine was relatively quiet and only got loud when going up the mountain to get to the house. You will not be autocrossing this beast, but overall it handles well. Livability - We like the floor plan although we wanted the bunks, but decided against it because the RV that had them only had one air conditioner and we live in the deep south. We sacrificed that for the fact that we wanted 2 air conditioners, a 5500 Onan Generator and 2 refrigerators. Our only complaint for the living space is storage and cup holders which in the big scheme of things is not a big deal. I can fix the cup holders with after market stuff. As far as storage....can you really ever have enough? The storage underneath the RV seems to be more than adequate. Maiden Voyage - We took the FR3 to an RV park a few miles down the road and just decided to figure it out as best we could knowing if we forgot anything we were only 10 minutes from the house. I will have to say the park manager gave me a funny look when I told him I will need to fill up my grey and black water tanks......realizing 10 minutes later that when you hook up city water that those tanks fill up themselves through use... newby probs :). The pull out sofa bed was deemed not comfortable by our 13 year old so more than likely we will purchase a memory foam mattress which should work. The king bed slept great and the overhead bed was deemed satisfactory by the 10 year old. The furnace worked as advertised but it did smoke for about 30 minutes due to the oil on the components. After the smoke cleared the RV stayed comfortable that night with outside temperatures dropping to around 30 degrees. Upon a quick search of Google I discovered that the smoke was common with new furnances. So far we really love our FR3 and wanted to post a positive review so folks will know that things can go right as well. Stay safe!!
- Jody Hicks, Alabama

2019-08-11 2020 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We bought the FR3 in Kentucky. Drove down to Florida and the headlights started flickering. Kept going on and off.Had to spend our money and stay in a hotel. Drove home. Parked in a RV Campground. Called about fixing the headlights. Couldn't get into a Ford Dealership for 2 weeks. Went over today to drive the RV for the appt on Monday. The bedroom slide will,not go in. Called Safe Ride, they would not send anyone out on Sunday. Hopefully, we can still keep our appt to fix headlights tomorrow. The dealership where we bought it has been very helpful.
- Jamesfross@insightbb.com, Florida

2019-07-27 2019 Forest River FR3 33DS View Listings

First time Class A owners, owned travel trailer and 5th wheel previously. Bought FR3 at Hershey Show. 2000 miles driven. Picked up in October 2018. Cons: engine AC doesn’t cool but blows warm to hot air in summer, very noisy when driving, bathroom sink leaks, backup camera too low, side cameras useless, kitchen table unable to convert to bed bc opening too large, shades either don’t stay up or won’t latch down, no exhaust fan to vent gas stove, no access to LR TV ports, drawer that won’t lock, large trim piece came off while driving, check engine light came on twice, currently waiting for 2 months for parts to come in. PROS: kitchen appliances, king bed, ample storage, nice layout and decor, typical RV seat cushions but easy to clean, pricing meant for entry level class A. Sadly, a tremendous amount of fit and finish issues and still waiting to get anything repaired. We have to travel 2 hours to our nearest FR dealer making it all the more challenging. Wouldn’t purchase again.
- P Halpin, Maryland

2019-06-30 2014 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We love our FR3! We have traveled from New England to Niagara Falls, to Maine and on to South Dakota, Colorado, Arizona, Texas and all of southeaster United States. From every aspect it has been a wonderful vehicle. Climbing the Rockies we thought would be challenging but it handled it fine and in 100' weather in Arizona the A/C performed wonderfully. Could not have selected a better one! The drop down bed just adds to the pleasure! Taking the grandkids, they fight over who is going to sleep there, the pull out bed is easy and my in-laws did not mind spending 3 weeks on it. The dinette is ideal for smaller children - I would say up to 10 - 2 fit comfortably. The master bedroom is pretty nice with a lot of storage. two closets, 5 drawers, and an overhead that we use for linens. We have 35,000 so we have had a lot of experience with it.
- Priscilla Fitzgerald, Massachusetts

2019-06-26 2016 Forest River FR3 32DS View Listings

Excellent layout and living space. Storage space has been more than ample. Warranties have been honored by Good Same, and are a valuable add-on. RV is a pleasure to drive. With two 18,000 BTU reverse air conditioners, RV remains cool in South Florida heat, and warm in North Carolina mountains.
- Judy Amburn, Florida

2019-04-18 2015 Forest River FR3 28DS View Listings

We just love our rv we've driven half way across Canada and it was absolutely wonderful. The only bad thing that happened was one day in Manitoba it was so windy we almost had to stop but persevered . Handles fabulous on the road and very comfortable to live in. Very low kms other than three long trips we camp close to home now.
- Norma Jean Huckle, Alberta

2019-01-03 2018 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

Really love this model.first time Class A buyer had a few issues from start:step wouldn't retract awning lights out(fuse blwn) water hookup leaking.. .but everything was fixed within a month at our dealer..have made 4 trips since October all without any issues wish the storage doors over couch were magnetic to stay up when you are tring to grab something out of cupboard.need a little more room to get out if you sleep in the king bed against the back and a little shelf on the otherside.we installed a small shelf! Had problems with shades not staying up but found a how to so thats done.Love all the outside storage and outside TV.I plan on changing the kitchen faucet to a pullout sprayer type but thats just my preference.overall very comfortable and much better than our travel trailer! Would buy again.
- Chris Wheeler, Oregon

2018-12-16 2016 Forest River FR3 28DS View Listings

This RV is not too large and has a great design with a king bed and an electric queen bunk bed. This is the perfect size to tow a vehicle and is not too large so a person can visit the national park RV spaces. Great RV
- Robert Morasko, Colorado

Verified Owner

2018-11-09 2015 Forest River FR3 25DS View Listings

I only rate RV's that I have owned and used for personal recreation! The Forest River FR3 25 DS has been perfect for my wife and me and sometimes a couple or three grandkids! Easy to device and park
- Rick Strack, Arkansas

Verified Owner

2018-08-12 2015 Forest River FR3 28DS View Listings

We shopped for a 30' OR LESS CLASS A Motorhome * Shop until you drop, the FR3 is the best bang for your buck especially if you really want a CLASS A vs a CLASS C motorhome. I cant speak for the other comments but our motorhome has been a double thumbs up! We took it to Neff Brothers had them stabilize the sway bar & it rides like a dream. No more swaying, cruises down the highway & doesnt get sucked in by the big rigs passing you by * Camera are amazing. WE love its only 28' driving down the road (so easy to park & go) and when we park, level then open the slides, we are extended to 32' * Shop until you drop, the FR3 28DS was a great buy! Enjoy RVing in something you love :O)
- John & Karla Callahan, Ohio

2018-05-12 2016 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

Drove my new-bought FR3 30DS from Key West to San Diego and loved every mile of it. Plenty of storage inside and out, unique sofa with integrated foot rests, huge dinette, king bed, etc. The floor plan met our high expectations, and this motorhome was up to the task given it’s modest class A gas-powered price. Newer 6-speed transmission helped. Initial quality issues were faulted equally between Forest River and Ford, but both Camping World and Ford dealer were eager to please us. Biggest issue is Forest River’s plodding warranty procedures, effectively slowing parts delivery and therefore warranty service to a snail’s pace. Buying a newer, well-kept used model is probably the way to go.
- Rick, Michigan

2018-04-28 2018 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We purchased this first new RV in Jan and as of April 28 the RV has been at the dealer for warranty repairs for 58 days and counting. The core problem is poor manufacturing quality and the repair process is arduous because of the documentation that the dealer has to provide Forest River for repair authorization. We have used it a total of 4 days to date. PROS - Design and floorplan is the best we have seen for the price, King bed, residential refrigerator, 2 AC units, windows/shades, 8 seatbelts, interior and exterior storage, interior seating, privacy pocket door. CONS - Substandard manufacturing quality, AC units improperly installed, water pump failure, entrance steps failed to consistently retract, 50% of exterior storage compartment would not lock, Refrigerator motherboard had to be replaced, Ford chassis AC did not produce cold air, freon low, wooden BR sink facia detached, Bathroom/bedroom door misaligned. And this was a new unit. VERY POOR QUALITY EXECUTION. OTHER THOUGHTS - This RV is not designed to exceed 65MPH. It's a truck not a car you must learn to operate differently, visibility is excellent. Radio/Camera screen is too low. Side cameras not helpful. We hope our experience improves TBD
- Barry & Charlotte, North Carolina

2018-04-09 2017 Forest River FR3 28DS View Listings

4 weeks and 1200 miles. Absolutely love it! Got a unbelievable price so I am a happy camper. Did the steering stabilizer,sway bars and the Sumo Springs upgrade after 600 miles.This upgrade made a night and day difference. I can drive on the interstate @ 65 or 70 with one hand.This is my third RV. Second with slides.Don't put the slides out unless you have engaged the levelers and never move the RV with the slides out.Follow this and your slide will not give you any problems. Love the layout! I have excess glue on some interior panels but the dealer is going to take care of that. Drove it through the mountains and was pleased at the pulling power. Would I buy another one? Defiantly Yes!
- Mike Horton, Alabama

2018-02-01 2017 Forest River FR3 25DS View Listings

Purchased new and paid for prep.haha. Drove from IL to southern FL. and will drive no farther till sway bar stabilizers and steering assist added. Have never came so close to losing control of a vehicle and have driven tractor/trailer wideloads forty years.Microwave kicks out after 1 minute,none of the storage doors would lock without bending out tabs. Can not see radio/ camera during daylight hours. King size bed comfortable,but hard to get into from the end for person by back window. Did I mention how unsafe to drive. Better drive under 65mph for gas mileage more than 5.5mpg. If I could sell I would.
- Ilguy, Illinois

2017-09-16 2014 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We have had a very good experience with our MH. The open living area was the main selling point when we purchased it. We tow a CRV and don't even know it's back there. Drives and handles very nice with a few suspension upgrades. Excellent storage areas.
- Curt, California

2017-08-21 2018 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

Great looking coach. Fit and trim issues through out. Shower and kitchen sink leaks, cigarette lighters burnt out fuses,flooring rippled, poor quality shower,and toilet. Rear overhang causes bumper,hitch, and seven pin bracket to impact any driveway causing damage.Bent 7 pin bracket, bent , 7 pin housing cracked, hitch and bumper scratched , radio difficult to work, back up camera useless because the screen is to low. 4000 rpm on any type of grade and the engine is deafening. Nice flooring and cabinets, good speakers and televisions , fridge, micro, and stove a breeze to use. sway like an overloaded pirate ship, drifts like a drunken sailor. Burn marks on the oil dipstick at 6600 miles. Manifold heat? Good turning radius, and visibility out of the front wind shield. King size bed great, sofabed terrible. Dinette poorly designed and cushions are hard to keep in place. Two AC's are great is you can find a 50 amp hookup. Good capacity grey,black, and fresh. Easy hookups, and plenty of storage. Overall a C plus.
- Dutch, California

2017-08-18 2014 Forest River FR3 25DS View Listings

What a cute toy! We bought ours used and the only problems have been from our own mistakes and the fact that the first owner left it in the sun which caused a few things to have issue such as the slide out hardware. You can't beat it for the price. Lots of room for 2 people! Noisy ride but I hear this is a gas engine thing not this brand. Funny I did read something in other comments about the front overhead magnets going weak. We are trying to do something with ours right now.
- Brenda Gonzalez, Arizona

2017-08-03 2014 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

I love our FR3. I would recommend it to anyone. The size is perfect for me and my husband. We have plenty of storage inside and out. The only negative are the headlights, but my husband added LED's and a LED light bar.
- Toni Stadt, California

2017-06-23 2017 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

Numerous electrical issues. Microwave,cab lights,privacy shade, radio speakers. One plumbing issue where I could not get the gray water tank to drain no matter how many times I opened up and closed the valve ended up using a leaf blower to blow into the drain pipe We have nicknamed it the wallowing pig for the way it drives
- Ed Nyc, Texas

2017-06-23 2017 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

- Ed Nyc, Texas

2017-06-20 2017 Forest River FR3 32DS View Listings

Brand new. 1140 miles. Before leaving the show room , had to use the battery boost to start. Thought it was because someone left the lights on. 10 miles down the road and experience a loss of power. This went on for most of my trip home from the dealer, climbing the mountains of Colorado.Ended up on the side of the road calling roadside assistance. I did make it home. Had to replace the battery and reprogram the engine control module. seems better now.
- Chris Menzies, Colorado

2017-05-16 2016 Forest River FR3 28DS View Listings

I never thought I could get in a motorhome for $80K walkout price. This does not include the $2-3K Motorized and retractable DTV-capable Satellite nor the 84 month Good Sam Silver Extended warranty (about $4-5K) Pros: General: I'm overall happy with just about everything except my list of Cons, which could be better with a little effort by the manufacturer (Forest River) and the seller (Camping World). - Auto Stablizing Jacks - Radio - 3 TVs although the ability to get a DVR behind the TVs located inside the FR3 is a chore. - Flooring is laminate, but pretty nice. - Chairs, seating all nice. If they're not leather, they sure feel like it. One of the dining table chair-backs wasn't stapled properly and becomes unattached. One of the Quality Control issues, but not indicative of the overall chair comfort. - King size bed is very nice. Bedding that comes with it is very nice. - Appliances are nice. They're not top of the line by any means. - Outside storage is very good. - Great generator - Interior Panel with all your buttons. Cons: - Service, service, service. My FR3 28DS was in the shop for over 15 weeks for small stuff imo. Mostly QC stuff. One year later, I still have warranty work to be completed. You better ask around about the service that your seller has. - Quality is of lower grade. You can see this in the trim, appliances, fixtures, ect. That said, for $80K I still believe I got a good deal despite a few warts. A motorhome is kinda like a cheap trailer that many people live in. The higher-end quality yoy desire, the more you will pay. My countertops are solid, none of my appliances are stainless, and my kitchen, bathroom, and shower fixtures are really low-end. So if you want granite, stainless, etc., then shop a higher-end motorhome. In hindsight, I would probably shop much higher quality in any future trade-purchase. It's not the end of the world though. - Interior Craftsmanship. Pretty bad and I blame the managers who supervise the workers and the QC inspectors who check the motorhome before it leaves factory. - I saw the upper bed magnet problem listed. It was and is a problem, but I'm told the parts are in to fix the issue where the bed falls from the stored position (being held by these magnets), down about 6" or so, before you use the motorized lowering. I can tell you that this is a very poor design and a huge safety issue when the bed drops while you're driving. Very bad engineering. - My automatic steps failed to retract and got scraped up. Electrical problem and the steps were replaced. I will say this; slam that door shut; otherwise you may find yourself in a similar situation. - I guess the final con is stability while driving. It is scary to drive this because it sways a lot. Forget smoking and joking while driving. One of the other reviews said he installed something to the rear differential or axel to the frame and it helped manage his sway problem. I'm gonna check that out.
- Catherine, Alabama

2017-05-01 2016 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

Workmanship is very good. Equipped with amenities that make it very comfortable. However, I found the handling when driving on interstate highways to be very harrowing when passed by large semi trucks. The wind force created when being passed caused me to be pushed into the emergency lane on one occasion. The remedy was to install a Blue Ox True Trac which connected the differenial to the frame, thus significantly reducing the sway effect.
- Ken Wilson, Florida

2016-08-20 2017 Forest River FR3 32DS View Listings

Horrible,in the first 10 weeks of a brand new coach... AC leaks in coach, fresh water tank leaks, rubber roof is coming off and is torn. Oven does not work, gen does not work, AC does not work right, numerous electrical issues, don't buy this Rv, company is horrible to work with as is the dealer, I am hiring a lawyer. This is our 4th Rv, should have bought another Winnebago.
- Marq prince, California

2016-07-13 2015 Forest River FR3 30DS View Listings

We purchased our FR3 new and have put 6,500 miles on it, so far we are happy with the unit and have not had any major issues, I had the rear camera fail, but it was a minor electronic repair, the two only complaints I have are 1) it wasn't wired for satellite and they should have installed a queen bed instead of a king, very little room to move around
- Carl Thomas, Kentucky