Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Curt B from Michigan says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ View Listings

We bought this after years of being away from RVing, we had a big Jayco monster camper years ago with the kids which we sold a long time back. This is marketed as a "couples camper", and it fits the bill nicely. As with any camper, after using it you can go through and nit-pic little things you WISH they had done differently, but overall this is a wonderful camper and we look forward to many years of happy camping with it. It's easy to pull, easy to setup, and there are quality touches inside throughout. This is my first RV with a power awning, which I didn't think much of but after having it, I really appreciate. The A/C and heater both are more than sufficient for a camper this size, the USB ports throughout are wonderful, and the upgraded steps are really nice. My only real honest-to-goodness complaint is the lack of a simple winterizing kit for the water lines, but I guess they had to prioritize room wherever they could, this is a smaller RV after all. As with ALL RVs, you'll want to get a good topper for the horrid factory mattress, and why do all manufacturers put this weird atomic level light just above faces of people laying in bed? We're wrapping up a 7day camping trip to the Porcupine Mts, and couldn't be happier with our Wolf Pup 16FQ.
- Curt B, Michigan

2021-05-27 2021 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ View Listings

We've had everything from pop-up campers to a 40' diesel pusher. We finally sold it because it was just too big for folks getting just a little too old to handle a beast like that any longer. Still wanted to travel so we bought a Ford truck and after a lot of shopping, chose the Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ. This is a great little trailer and just right for us, with a lot a features packed into a small package. We see a lot of folks making a laundry list of petty complaints but these frustrations most often come from people who are first-timers or haven't been in the RV travel game all that long. Literally all RVs, even our diesel pusher, had its share of quirks and issues. It's part of choosing to stay in an RV instead of hotel rooms. With an RV motorhome or towable,learning to become handy is an absolute must. Make sure that you learn about RV electrical and plumbing and inspect those features so if you experience trouble while on the road you can make the repair if necessary. There's typically not an RV center around every corner. Be certain to put together an RV first-aid kit for your rig as well, ie fuses, washers, fittings, heavy duty tarp with tie-downs and a tool set with what you need to make repairs. Don't expect to purchase a lightweight 16ft. towable and act as though it should have been crafted by artisans and ace technicians. It's just not reality, folks. The manufacturing plant is churning out these trailers as fast as possible and if you're lucky, you'll get one without any hiccups. Just don't become frustrated because you bought a $15K trailer and begin inspecting it for flaws. Hook it up, get on the road and forget about the small stuff. It's why you purchased it in the first place. We went over our trailer when we first purchased it and it's built like any of the others on the market so don't forget that you're using it to get away from it all and not bring misery with you on the trip. Did we see imperfections and lack of attention to details when we inspected it? Sure we did. If you're expecting perfection, stay clear of purchasing an RV. If you want to simply buy an alternative form of recreation, get to meet new folks on the RV circuit and kick back with more privacy and self-sufficiency than hotel rooms, then go get yourself an RV rig and have fun. If something breaks, learn to fix it or take it to a dealer while you're on the road or when you get back home. The Wolf Pup 16FQ is perfect for a couple, with or without a couple of small pets or kids. Plenty of bathroom space for such a small package but very functional. Kitchen is just right for the rig and the murphy bed/jackknife couch is ingenious when it comes to function and space utilization. The electric awning is a real treat for a low-end package and perks like the backup camera, outdoor refrigerator and entertainment features, the 4-jack stabilization and storage capacity all make this small RV trailer an excellent choice. Don't forget, however, that regardless of what you're using to tow this rig to invest in a proper weight distribution/anti-sway hitch system. It will be the best money you've ever spent and provide you with the towing safety you will be glad you installed. We'll give the rig a 5 in all categories. We haven't yet faced a warranty issue with this new rig but have done so many times with all of our others. It's just part of the RV world. You work with them to get the issue resolved and move forward. Best advice is to stop all the complaining, get yourself a rig if you want to have some fun and go hit the road. At our age, we're here to tell you that life is indeed short so don't waste it being so negative. Nothing is perfect. RVs are no exception by any means. Go get yourself one and loosen your hatband a notch or two.
- Jarvis, Florida

2021-05-26 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 17JG View Listings

Very poor quality and workmanship. We are new to camping with an RV, and we wanted to have the opportunity to enjoy some of the beautiful parks our country has to offer. So the Wolfpup was our choice to start with. The unit looks great and it has a nice floor plan which looked very convenient for my family and I. But soon after we purchased it, things started to fall off and break apart. At the beginning it was the door which is not adjusted correctly, then the kitchen handles started to fall off (the bolt that holds one of them is simply too short). The bed baseboard then detached from the frame, the bathroom vinyl cover is separating from the wall, and the most scary part - a piece of the awning fell off during driving. I've never imagined that this good looking unit is assembled with such a poor quality. The service lady is nice and responsive, but if I want to fix it I need to wait now 4 weeks for a local dealer to look into it. That means I need to drive now all the way back with those defects and who knows what will happen next. I'm afraid more parts will fall while I'm driving. Terrible. If you ask me - Don't buy.
- Eldar, Maryland

2021-04-19 2021 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ View Listings

Size and layout is great for two people. Good sized bathroom and walk around queen. The main problem is the Murphy bed design causes a two to three inch drop between jack knife sofa level and the hard surface when weight is applied making it impossible for anyone with back issues. Could not find any good remedies. The dinette cushions will not stay in place when used. I have heard that they may have worked on the design problem with the bed in newer models.
- Douglas Hollums, Oregon

2021-03-29 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16PF View Listings

Great camper. Love the layout, the slider really adds room. Very easy to set up and seems to have all we need for the two of us. All appliances work great, plenty of cool air even in Florida. Love the automatic awning, very large and works great. Easy to tow and holds steady on the road. Came with terrible tires so replaced them. Has lovely sofa but we never use it, just keep bed in place. U shaped dinette is company friendly. Owned for a year and a half and only problem was with air conditioner and dealer replaced it free of charge. Great camper.
- Murray Reed, Florida

2021-03-27 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16PF Black Label View Listings

This is a great RV. Easy for two people to camp in. Black Label Edition really adds to quality and usefulness of this camper. Highly recommend. Purchased in at Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott Iowa and pulled it to Florida. Best price and great people.. Comes with terrible tires, I changed those first thing....
- Murray Reed, Florida

2021-03-18 2021 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16 View Listings

We ordered and took delivery of our Wolf Pup 16FQ in the fall of 2020. So far the quality of the trailer is very good. This model has a tow rating @ 3200 lbs which was a big concern for us. This small trailer is loaded with some great features: full dry bathroom, big windows, glass door, large refrigerator/freezer, murphy bed, large windows, solar panel and out-side refrigerator. We have added a rear camera, extended an auxiliary gas line to the back, stabilizer supports and a power tongue jack. My wife and I spent 30 days traveling and are very happy with our purchase.
- Drake Payung, Pennsylvania

2020-10-12 2019 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS View Listings

I purchased this in 2019, one of the stabilizer jacks had failed. The weld on the nut had broken off making the unit unusable. I had to remove it so it could be towed, after many calls and emails, and photographs. They told me it was taken care of, but was it really no, they just told me that to get me off the phone. If warranty and coverage are important don't buy this brand, if customer service is important don't buy this brand.
- andywjonze, New York

2020-09-28 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 18RJB View Listings

I bought this RV as I liked the size and layout and thought I might be able to fit 2 motorcycles in it, actually only one fits without damaging the trailer or the bikes. First issue was the original fresh water tank leaked, manufacturing issue, after three replacements they got it fixed. I'm one to pull off panels and see how things are made. I found more sawdust, scraps of wood and metal behind the cabinets than I thought possible. Overall very poor workmanship and quality. Also plenty of holes for the mice to get in, very poor sealing job. Virtually no real storage which is par for the course on small rv's. Also what is the deal with mattresses from RV mfg's? They could easily go with a decent memory foam and raise customer satisfaction. Also I do not understand why these don't come with power inverters so you can run some items off the grid like the microwave and coffee maker, another issue I have to deal with. Also has a linoleum floor on a toyhauler, makes no sense. No actual warranty feedback at this time. So with all that said this is my first and last Forest River product.
- Bob S., North Carolina

2020-07-20 2019 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS View Listings

Have this trailer about a month now left Utah on July 7 heading for the East Coast first thing that broke was the cover over the bathroom fan vent the wind blew and it broke right off second thing that broke was the drawer on the base cabinet the screws fell out and the door fell off third thing that broke the vent cover on the outside of the trailer for the hood over the stove blew off driving down the road and today we couldn’t open the door cause the screws fell out of the door knob then we had to use a crowbar to get the door open. Nice floor plan but the thing is built like a piece of s**t falling apart slowly Still have two more weeks of travel hope I can make it home in this thing
- Michael, Utah

2019-09-18 2017 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 18TO View Listings

Bad experience with the CastleRock tires that come on this vehicle and was denied any assistance from Forest River, the spare tire has never been on the ground but expanded/deformed egg shaped, was so bad that it tore the cover which is what got our attention.So sad to think Forest river puts these on their travel trailers but is not concerned with the safety of the people who have purchesed them . We replaced all of them after I received their response saying: (we are sorry you are out of warranty and cannot help you) will never purchase any of their makes again
- LILLIE WEBB, Kentucky

2019-09-12 2019 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS View Listings

Disclaimer: This site REQUIRES assigning a star rating for manufacturer warranty. I have thankfully not had to utilize the warranty so I cannot provide a rating on it. Thus I assigned a middle of the road three star rating. I am reviewing the Wolf Pup 16 BHS, not the Wolf Pup WEST 16BHS. The difference in floor plan is this: The Wolf Pup 16BHS (my model) has a good-sized fridge with separate freezer above it whereas the Wolf Pup WEST 16BHS has a pantry in the place of my fridge; the Wolf Pup WEST 16BHS has a mini-fridge below the kitchen counter where the Wolf Pup 16BHS (my model) has cabinet storage. I much prefer losing out on a pantry in order to gain a larger fridge to hold food for my family of five than having a large pantry but only a mini-fridge. For the small space, the layout is understandably tight but very efficient and functional. The two bunk beds are at least six feet long ensuring my kiddos plenty of growing room. The small tub and shower is great for washing our four-year old (the rest of the family uses public showers at camp facilities when available to save on water, but man is it nice not having to monitor the four year old splashing in dirty shower water and touching walls at public showers!). The trailer tows very easily behind my 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (with tow package capable of towing up to 6400 lbs). I definitely notice the trailer when going up steep hills, sometimes having to shift down to third, but on flat freeways I am able to go 65 in fourth very smoothly with headroom left for passing. I do use a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar, and with those the trailer and truck ride nice and level and I have, in my four trips so far, never experienced any issue with sway. Dislikes: No oven. Due to the furnace placement there is no room for an oven below the stovetop. Looking at the layout I am not sure where the designers could move the furnace to in order to include an oven without messing up the rest of the great layout, so I consider that a small loss compared to the functional layout. No ladder to get to the top bunk! Unless your child has great upper body strength, hauling themselves up to the top bunk will be a chore as there is nothing at all to step on to assist them (unless you consider them using the thermostat off to the side as a good foothold, which I do NOT). I made a ladder out of redwood and pine to allow access to the top bunk, with the ladder being narrow enough to still allow the bathroom door to fully open. Why in the world would Forest River not think of this! No privacy curtain for the top bunk. It is easy enough to tuck a sheet or blanket under the top mattress and let it hang down to provide privacy for the bottom bunk, but the top bunk is completely out in the open. I bought a curtain track kit from Amazon and screwed it into the ceiling, and separately bought kitchen window curtains to hang on it. Works good, but this would also have been a meaningful item to include with the trailer. AC. It's totally functional and gets the job done well, but it is LOUD! Even on its low fan setting. Conclusion: Even with the dislikes above, which are minor in my own opinion, I recommend this trailer to anyone with two or three kids (our third child sleeps on the dinette bed) who is looking for a light weight and short trailer, which is exactly what we needed.
- Brett Op, California

2019-02-14 2017 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ View Listings

First of all I bought this trailer on an impulse at a camper show 2 hours away from my home and from a dealer 4 hours away. So not to smart on my part. But it was a good deal and what my wife and I needed. As far as overall quality it’s ok. There are some things that were overlooked when they constructed it 1) awning should have been 2 ft longer so as not to stop directly by the door. 2) lights with a switch when you enter (you have to enter a dark camper and find the light to turn on). 3) undercarriage could have had stronger material and holes should have been plugged as this was an easy entry for rodents. 4) winterization should have been made easier by being able to add a winterization kit ( we could not add one because the pump was to far back where it was installed to cut into. Had to bring to rv place to do it $$ otherwise you have to use 6 gallons of antifreeze in your fresh water holding tank. We have added a few doors to the cabinets to make access easier, added drawers under the dinette seats, reading lights over our bed instead of the very bright led, added a light over kitchen counter and one over dinette table. Installed a medicine cabinet in bathroom. We had a Starcraft 14 rb before this one and I found it to be well made and sturdy. I am a little concerned of the roof construction of this model though as it doesn’t feel strong. But for what we paid you can’t expect the best. Knock on wood we did not have any warranty items that needed repaired.
- Bill, Maine

2019-01-20 2019 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ View Listings

I absolutely love my Wolf Pup. I pretty much got exactly what I wanted. I had a 5000 pound limit towing capacity on my Honda ridgeline. So this trailer worked perfectly. I bought it in July 2018. I’ve had taken it out on eight trips sense. Everything has worked out fine and I really don’t complain about too much because it’s perfect for what I need. The only complaint I would have involved in the competition of the third would be the table seems to scratch very easily. I feel like I need to put a small piece of plastic over the top of it to protect it. I rated manufacture warranty as low as I have not deleted them so as we really are not applicable but you have to rate it in order to submit.
- Nancy Steele, California

2018-07-18 2018 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP View Listings

Purchased our Wolf Pup in February 2018. Taken it out twice so far and going out again this weekend. My wife loves it, decorating it and giving it that home away from home feel. It's light weight, easy pull for my Nissan Titan and small enough to park on side of house. We are first time owners, tent users the past 11 years and still learning the ways of traveling in our Wolf Pup. After reading the reviews, owners disgruntled of not having the perfect trailer, my question to them is this, did you not do your research before buying, point out things of concern, have a final walk thru before signing on the dotted line? No matter the type of RV/trailer you purchase, remember it's built by hand, read up on this fact! If it's a lemon, there are avenues you can pursue, yes it's easier said than done. You all still using your Wolf Pup? We are and will be taking in the scenery up in the mountains, enjoy folks!
- Gil, California

2018-07-18 2018 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP View Listings

- Gil, California

2018-04-17 2018 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP View Listings

Poor workmanship, no customer service, furnace quit day one, roof leaks first week, and they don’t care. The Forest River receptionist told me “no one will return my calls because I am a consumer, and they don’t deal with consumers, only dealers” My dealer isn’t getting returned calls either, and suggested that I “hook it up and drive to Indiana, and then try to speak to them in person”
- Frank, Ohio