Coachmen Viking Reviews on RV Insider (10)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Viking RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Boxwell from Ontario says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2018 Coachmen Viking 17BH View Listings

a real lemon and stuck paying for it. Leak, water rum in from pullout, wood panel falling apart, just this past weekend, frig died and water tap broke. A real lemon. Never buy a Viking. Had 5 others before with no problems at all.
- Boxwell, Ontario

2020-08-07 2012 Coachmen Viking 16B View Listings

Our first and only RV purchase. The dealer must have seen us coming and thought, here's a chance to get that Viking off our lot. First trip, stereo stopped working and a exterior reflector blew off on the highway. During the second year we noticed water on the floor in front of the fridge. It appears to be a faulty design of the exterior vents for the fridge. We inspect the roof every year and even had it resealed by an RV service shop, so the roof was not the problem. The owner of that shop told us they are all built like crap and there are no brands they could recommend. We started noticing the floor at the front of the trailer getting soft. We found that the awning window on the front had been leaking, but the water was inside the walls so we never noticed it until it damaged the floor. We are now looking to gut the trailer so that we can repair the floors and walls and reseal the leaking windows. Not a great experience. Obviously, we were inexperienced and did not realize just how much maintenance these things require. As one fellow on another forum put it, "they are just pieces of crap wrapped in aluminium siding".
- Randy, Ontario

2020-08-06 2017 Coachmen Viking 17RD View Listings

I've lived in this trailer for about 2 years now and looks like I'll be living in it for a 3rd year. I am parked in the backyard of my friends house and i find it pretty easy to live in and I'm sure if i had this fully hooked up to water, sewage and used the shower full time my review would be a bit more in detail. The bed that cones with it isn't the best in quality and definitely made just for the casual weekend stint. I'll have to replace it VERY soon as I've created a crater in the middle of the mattress. The storage is very good for just basics and nothing too extreme. Very modest. Living by myself in this lil ole box is enough room just for myself although i do find it lacking in certain access points as per below the bed, you can lift up the bed for quick access but i found myself modifying the panel right below it by opening an access hole. I did run out of shelving and places to put things if i had JUST about 10 sq feet MORE i would have all the room i would need for my crap. The propane tank has lasted me for 2yrs as i use an electric oil heater and just use the burners for cooking simple meals. The stereo could be a bit more powerful... 25 watts per is not exactly what i call satisfying lol i added 300 watt 4in speakers causing the the stereo to cut out bad if its up too loud and has too much bass. That'll be replaced VERY soon haha the refrigerator is pretty decent but the element in the back likes to crust up with frost all too much. And it's not ventilated very well either as the countertop above it gets quite warm...and will probably need help in that department. Access points to water pumps, hoses, stereo, power converter all seem easy to get to. I've enjoyed it nonetheless
- Dave, Washington

2020-06-24 2019 Coachmen Viking 21FQ View Listings

We purchased this RV in November 2019. Here it is June 2020 and we have not had the opportunity to travel. The purchase experience was great. But, here come the repairs...yes repairs to a brand new RV. The awning had pin hole in it, the couch has wholes and bleached spots on it, the radio quit playing, the vent hood never came with the screen, and the bathroom light switch is coming away from the wall. The awning was replaced. The replacement also has pin holes in it. This was reported immediately after we got the RV back from the first replacement. Now they are saying that this was owner inflicted. Really owner inflicted? We haven't even gotten to use it. They have ordered the couch to be replaced. We took the RV in to have that done at the beginning of June 2020. As of June 24, 2020 the couch has still not been installed. The radio has not been fixed. The awning has been denied for repair. We spoke to the general manager, Ken @ the Katy Ron Hoover about trading this RV in on a motorhome. We picked one out and he was supposed to call us that same day with some numbers. He have not heard from him yet. I will not do business with this company nor will I buy another Viking RV.
- Donna, Texas

2020-05-17 2019 Coachmen Viking 17RBSS View Listings

We bought this trailer because of the roominess of the popout. The specs say this unit sleeps 7 people. It’s more like 4 people comfortably. The 2 benches count as 2 beds but a 5’6” tall person can’t fully extend on one bench/bed. The model was dirty out of the dealer’s lot, not because the dealer but because the manufacturer puttied nail holes with dirty hands and didnt bother to wipe all of the excess putty and caulk, aluminum shavings were everywhere and the ceiling lights had saw dust in them. The slide out opens and closes fine except for the fact that wires for the lower lighting become exposed when extending the pop out. There are wires below the trailer that are hanging unsupported that can be easily snagged by road debris. When I emptied out the black and grey tanks chunks of wood paneling came out that made emptying the tanks incredibly difficult and messy and nearly damaging my macerator. The exterior light stopped working after one week from getting it and the speakers were broken even before it left the dealer’s lot. My opinion is that this trailer is good for the price we purchased it for $13K but it’s only worth it if you’re able to fix things yourself. If you got money buy something else cause Viking takes no pride on their workmanship and quality.
- Remus, California

2020-02-24 2019 Coachmen Viking 17BH View Listings

The best first travel trailer we could find. Towing and parking is so easy with this. MPG is twice better than expected. Everything works great. Compact but has everything we needed in our road trips.
- Nina, California

2019-06-09 2016 Coachmen Viking 2485SST View Listings

This RV tows very well. Two people can set it up in about half an hour. Heater,stove and fridge work well. Easy to take down when done camping. All in all a good camping experience for beginners or those with experience.
- Terry Riemenschneider , Michigan

2018-09-16 2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD View Listings

We purchased this unit because we liked the floor plan. We are extremely disappointed in the build quality of our camper. During our first trip, wall paneling came loose, the shower floor was not properly secured, the awning would not work, a window would not latch, cabinet doors popped open, the floor covering needed to be replaced, and other minor problems developed. The dealer kept our unit for 2 months to make the repairs. During our second trip, the rubber roof covering came loose. The dealer took over 2 months to repair it. On the next trip, our hot water heater quit and a tire failed. Also, the roof came loose again. The dealer said they would fix it right away. After 2 weeks at their shop, they had not started the repairs. After 16 months of owning this gem, the dealers shop has had it for 5 months.I am very disappointed in the build quality of this unit. Forest River should be ashamed to put anything built this poorly on the market. This is my 5th camper, and absolutely the worst one I have owned. I have never had any product of any type, give me as much trouble as this one has. I would never recommend a Viking camper or our dealer to anyone.
- Dave, Florida

2018-08-31 2012 Coachmen Viking 16B View Listings

I have a 2012 Viking. It is so poorly constructed you would not believe. I think my 12 yr. old grandson could do a better job. I like the size and the weight of this unit. The 2018 has a much better layout and no bunks. The 2018 seems to have a better living experience. livability 90 %
- Wilfred Currie , Newfoundland

2018-03-05 2017 Coachmen Viking 21BH View Listings

We were greenhorns. We are older and we were not experienced at driving a trailer or parking it. Our nephew backs it in for us.But as far as when we were finally at the campsite it was fun. We loved the refrigerator it was really roomy & the bed was comfortable. We decided to sell it because we don't want to rely on help
- Kenneth Hilbish, Pennsylvania