Coachmen Freelander Reviews on RV Insider (48)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Freelander RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Cathleen Savage from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

The 2012 Freelander 21QB, actually 24' in length, is a great value for the money. It is a great option for two adults and up to two children. Although it technically sleeps six, that would be a bit crowded. In addition to the rear Queen bed, the dinette converts to a Full size bed (48" x 76"). The overcab bunk has a weight limit of 350 lbs. PROs: 1) The rear bed is 60" x 80", very spacious for an RV and so much more liveable than the "Short Queen" (60" x 76") that is so common in other models. An added bonus is that standard Queen-size sheets fit perfectly! 2) the fresh water holding tank is 50 gallons, lots bigger than most Class Cs and even some Class As. This means we stay out in remote areas longer without breaking camp. 3) The exterior "basement" storage is huge! Over 100 square feet! We can fit everything we need for a month-long trip in with no problem. Have not seen this much storage in other models. 4) It is very easy to drive and has a good turning radius. 5) The dinette is designed in a circular "lounge" style, which is great for watching TV and relaxing. See related Cons below. CONs: 1) The factory installed vents are cheap and flimsy. We immediately replaced ours with Fantastic Vents. 2) The window in the coach side entrance door (not the cab) is made of frosted glass, reducing driver visibility. We had ours replaced with clear safety glass and we added a shade for privacy when needed. 3) The table for the dinette is too big for the space. We took it out and just store it for when we might need to use it to convert the dinete into a bed. We use a large tv tray table for indoor dinners and we made our own insert to make the sofa more comfortable. 4) The wardrobe for hanging clothes has two rods that run from the exterior wall to the wardrobe door instead of a single rod running across the top of the wardrobe. A simple modification to make. I notice that Coachmen made this change to later models too. 5) Curved shower door on a track is irritating but functional. Coachmen changed this to a regular swinging door set on the diagonal in later models. Summary: with a few simple modifications, the 2012 Freelander 21QB is a great combination of compact size and desireable features! I would buy it again.
- Cathleen Savage, Colorado

2020-09-19 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26RS View Listings

I love my RV. Army Veteran retired CW3 and a Seargant First Class, Gold Star Wife and Family! I loved it... cooking while camping with the luxury of home! I have wonderful memories. Actually made me miss the field and the soldiers !
- Christina Kimber, California

2020-08-14 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS Ford View Listings

Factory warranty has expired & we haven’t needed to call support services so I have no evaluation of these areas. We have owned 3 previous RVs and finally found this RV that has everything we wanted. Storage inside and out is amazing. The floor plan is the best!! We love the ability to walk around the queen bed on both sides without climbing over each other. Having swivel seats on both drivers and passenger seat makes the living space more homey and comfortable. It is easy to drive as it is not too big, yet can sleep six. If we wouldn’t have bought a lake home, we would continue to love and keep this RV!
- Arlan Hofland, North Dakota

2020-08-14 2020 Coachmen Freelander 31BH Ford 450 View Listings

Loved my Adventure. My motorhome has taken me to many of the wonders of our spectacular country. I have met many interesting people with wanderlust and amazing stories. This has been a learning experience as well as an introduction to numerous extreme sports opportunities.
- Marie Crowe Vaughan , Washington

2020-08-08 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Coachman should be ashamed, embarrassed. I know I am for buying this unit. Everything is wrong and installed backwards using staples whenever they can get away from it. I dare someone to find the water pump then try and do basic maintenance on it, like cleaning the filter. The drain for the fresh water tank is inside, how do you drain it? The refrigerator fell out, the microwave fell out. The trim is horrible, put together with staples of course. Tried to put on a tow hitch, the wiring is backwards. Had to replace the tail lights, never sealed. The generator is mounted in the lowest position possible so it fills with road debris and dust which fouls the carburetor. Had a tech tell me to stay on pavement! What happened to quality control? Is no one looking? I will never buy Coachman/Forest River ever again. I tell all the same thing. Put this one in the trash. I will say though, that the 2017 Chevrolet express 4500 is awesome. Who put in the radio? It is also put in wrong, incomplete. Do NOT buy coachman/forest river. You will regret it.
- mbangham1, Texas

2020-08-04 2008 Coachmen Freelander 3130IS View Listings

If you want counter space this is the perfect Rv. Most rvs lack counter space this is perfect for entertaining. We have 3 tvs so everyone can watch what they wish. Had it now for 5 years and have enjoyed living in it for 5 months of the year in key west Fla. Easy to handle flat towing or dolly towing. Just the right size to get in and out of any rv park. There is lots of basement storage and lots of cubbies inside too. Good rv for the money. This was our first rv and was a trial to see if rving was for us, we love it ! We are buying a class a rv next.
- Mark rosa, New York

2020-08-03 2016 Coachmen Freelander 20CB Ford Transit View Listings

I have 2016 ford transit 350 HD 20 fit long. I lovet. So far no problems in 3 years usage. Easy to drive fits everywhere easy for maintenance. For the money perfect. I upgraded madras and chairs next upcoming upgrade lithium battery. Only front driving seats are not comfortable will upgrade. I lovet not planing get other one happy with this one.
- Dario, Washington

2020-08-01 2016 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

I have owned this Coachmen for approximately a year and had it in for service 11 times already and apparently the old owner had water damage, second time water invasion to the tune of $10,000, FOR S LESS THSN 4 YR OLD RV.NOT HAPPY.ONAN IS TERRIBLE.LAYOUT Could B Better..No STORAGE..
- Trish Schultz, Florida

2020-07-27 2017 Coachmen Freelander 31BH View Listings

Absolutely love the floor plan. We have 4 kids and over the last 4 years have taken many enjoyable trips to mountains, beaches, and forests. We travel frequently, but the memories made in this RV have been absolutely unforgettable. We've enjoyed stunning, magical white Christmases in the Rockies, with our stockings and colored lights hung across the RV under the light of the moon and a thousand bright stars, surrounded by towering snow-covered pines. To date, of all the vacations we've taken, the relaxing ones have been at the beach in the RV. Pleasant sea breezes, minimal clothes, minimal preparation, minimal stress, but full of fun and naps. Each kid has their own space to retreat in the RV when they need personal time, and the grownups have privacy in the master bedroom because of the large, solid sliding door. We've always had plenty of storage inside and under for beach gear, ski gear, Christmas presents, and more, and the V10 is a monster that pulls our truck Toad like a champ. Anytime we tell the kids we're going to take the RV somewhere they fall all over themselves with excitement. So glad we purchased this thing, and hope that these memories we've made last a lifetime.
- Austin Sparks, Texas

2020-03-10 2010 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Its drives really nice. The captain chairs are very comfortable. Its like driving a pick up truck. I loved this camper because it was so easy to go anywhere. Its small but fully self contained. With over 300 horsepower it has no problem moving right along. Just a great motorhome. The ad for the motorhome says the rest. I always kept up on all maintenance. The only reason I am selling it is because we are now retired and moving on to other things now. I saw a lot of great places in the 10 years I have owned it.
- Michael Wilson, South Carolina

2020-03-07 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QBC View Listings

The outside: Our 27 QB was delivered to us from Indiana from Total Value RV. This was our third Motor home in 10 years. It has been 1 1/2 years of repairs to make it right. Well as others said the windows are noisy and will not stay shut. These are the two large ones, Coachmen sent replacements and they leaked!! They sent another batch of replacements, different with dual locks on them but they do not leak and are quiet. The tail light are on their third set because they always leak or fail because of water damage that gets inside of them. The front cab over running lights on their second set. I’m sorry I live in a place where it rains a lot!! The door latch had to be shimmed so you could close the door without slamming it. Also it needed some pretty good bending to make the bottom of the door stop rubbing. The bumper was put on crooked and had to be really adjusted. The decals in several places had to be pocked with a pin to remove air bubbles. The 20’ awning is getting stuck all the time and has to be pulled and pushed on to stay reasonable straight. And if you get in any wind past 5mph put it in cause it will get out of alignment!! The Inside: Saw dust everywhere had to clean everything especially under cushions!! Screws and staples left around on the floor and under things!! The water heater leaked, and failed!! This turned into a big thing with leaky hoses and a bad control board. Along with the constant rattle noise that I finally found that it was not mounted properly. The bathroom smelled like pee all the time and guess what the toilet was leaking where the top and bottom go together!! Cabinets not aligned up well, along with the end pieces on the dinette that were put on with more than one inch difference. The finish cover tape on walls where the panels come together put on uneven. Staples are coming out all over the cabinets and need to be carefully pushed in all the time!! They are the same color as the wood so I guess that made it OK to them. The Serta mattress upgrade is a joke and goes flat all the time, but it is slightly better than a stock one. Power plugs that like to fall out, and the best thing a big ¼” slot on the bottom of the fuse box, hole cut to big that’s OK pass it along!! And the fuse box door keep falling open all the time, had to put Velcro in to solve that, now you pull the edge to get it open but it works. Window blinds and coverings put on badly and not straight. The repairs go on and probably will never stop we always find something every time we go out. Who paid for all of this: Well after calls and email over the course from when it was delivered to now they did pay for the repairs. And sent all the parts, not an easy task to get your money back from Coachmen but they do eventually send you your repair cost. So the moral of the story do not buy a new Coachmen Motor home, get used something that somebody has had all the factory problems fixed. Why do I say buy Coachmen well we have a lot of experience and well better than most other brands. We just went to a large RV dealer and looked at many brands and types and were surprised that Coachmen was on top in the garbage can, I mean really surprised.
- Tom , Oregon

2020-03-01 2017 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

It has been such a great experience traveling with our family of five. This RV has everything we need to travel comfortably and spend time together as a family. I recommend the Coachmen Freelander based on its floor layout and comfort. I think your family will also enjoy it!
- Jennifer Easterling, Alabama

2020-02-08 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

We have spent 6-7 mos a year in this Freelander 21RS and love it. The best feature is the walk around queen bed and it sleeps better than the one at home. Usually you have to go with at least a 24 foot unit to get a walk around queen bed. The unit is setup very nice for long time living with big cabinets, sinks and lots and lots of storage. It is the perfect size for getting into a lot of boondocking spaces and all the state and national parks. We pulled a tow vehicle with no problems.
- Dee, Florida

2020-01-26 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

We purchased Sept 2019, and this unit has been falling apart since we left the parking lot. It seems that our microwave is no longer attached to the wall. This is our 3rd attempt at rectifying a “manufactured issue”, as we have only possessed this unit since September 23, 2019. The stove was not inserted properly and had to be readjusted during our last visit to Camping World in addition to the cabinet unit detached from the wall, there were multiple tools such as razors and wrench's left in the case of the air conditioning unit, as well as the covers on the roof, and magnets had to be replaced on 8 of the doors/cabinets. The Mobile RV repair company attempted to rectify the window not staying shut no matter the force used to close it, but failed. They did fix our brake lights, but the black water tank censor is still broken. Lastly, as of January 24, 2019, the toilet flap that hold the water before releasing into the tank does not work properly and water can no longer be held in the toilet, and again the microwave is detached from the wall. PLEASEEEE HELPPPP
- Shontice , Delaware

2020-01-11 2007 Coachmen Freelander 2600SO View Listings

This was a great RV for our lengthy trip out west. We were in weather from 95 degrees to 29 degrees and we were comfortable at all times. Overall, we put on 5,000 miles in 3.5 weeks, no problem. RV handled hills with ease and had plenty of room for our everyday lives.
- Mary Ann Hyde, North Carolina

2019-10-03 2020 Coachmen Freelander 32DS Ford 450 View Listings

After spending 100, I drive it off the lot and down the expressway when the tvehicle antenna falls off. The dealer is more than happy to fix it. I contact coachmen to let them know and ask what I am going to get for my trouble of having to take it back. Jason, of Coachmen, tells me he'll take care of it with the service department where I take it. Well that didn't happen. I guess they are not concerned with you once you've plunked down the cash. Secondly, the kitchen sink and faucet are really cheap.
- Rodger Nelson , Texas

2019-09-01 2007 Coachmen Freelander 2600SO View Listings

This RV has been dependable with no issues. Being 12 years old, it has continued to be a work horse on the road with power to spare. The last 4500 mile trip went without a problem and my family had the time of their lives.
- Kevin Hyde, North Carolina

2019-08-12 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QBC View Listings

No quality control at factory. First camping trip the circuit board on the hot water heater quit working. The furrion in dash radio screen went black and now the shower drain is leaking on the floor. only three months of ownership and i wished i had my 5th wheel back. if i had it to do over, i would not buy this quickly put together junk. again, no quality control at factory.
- woody chalk, Mississippi

2019-07-14 2018 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

Have taken this Class C RV on one long trip and several short ones. At 24.3 feet long it’s easy to drive. I sometimes pull a small car behind and hardly notice it’s there. I like the size because it’s easy to park and to maneuver through parking lots. The size also makes it ideal for getting off the freeway and seeing the real America. The inside is big enough to accommodate two adults comfortably, although we had our two grandkids stay with us for a couple of nights without any problems. The queen-sized mattress is remarkably comfortable and exceeds our expectations. We never slept as well when we were just tenting it.
- Greg Wright, Florida

2019-06-19 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26RS View Listings

Loved every aspect of this RV.....Purchased in Apr 2019 and used it for the first time goibg to Nashville.....Gatlinburg.....Smokey Mountains.....RAN LIKE A CHAMP.....put in new Smart TV for hook up cable sucks.....we streamed movies.....ride back to home was lots of fun....easy to drive and felt very safe....my wife said I was fun to be on a trip with.....not once did we listen to the radio.....just talked 18 hrs all the way.... GREAT TRIP....
- Rick Friedman , Texas

2019-05-11 2013 Coachmen Freelander 19CB View Listings

I am over the top in love with my little class c. I just (5-2019) bought it, with only 33k miles, a 2013, for under 30K!! The most awesome floorplan with it's cute kitchen with so much counter space! I removed the table, and made that area an L shaped sitting area, with the aid of a nice perfect height long flip top padded box or "bench," (makes for added storage too). Speaking of storage, this little coach has tons inside and out! I added 400 watts of solar and a Nature's Head, as well as combining my grey and black tank. Got my "Berky" too! My new home is a dream!
- Tony Wallis, Montana

2019-04-06 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

Love the floor plan and drives just like driving a pick up truck. Was hard to believe I was towing something, had to use the rear view camera to be sure the trailer was there!! Absolutely loved this camper!!
- Sue Snith, Ohio

2019-03-21 2017 Coachmen Freelander 22QB View Listings

Best layout in an RV. Can go anywhere because it is 24'10" so under the 25' limit. Very user friendly. AC works fast. Electric everything. Extended gas tank perfect for long trips and good gas mileage.
- Sean, California

2019-03-07 2015 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

2015 Coachman Freelander 27QB 27 ' chevy 4500 , automatic, gasoline fuel backup camera! sleeps 6-8 walkaround queen bed booth dinette turns into bed soft folds out to sleep loft overhead also bed bedroom includes ample closet space, 24' tv in corner and water storage under bed separate shower bath with 3 storage cabinets fridge/freezer microwave, propane oven 24' attached tv in loft space outside to add another small tv AC, gas generator, smoke alarm and extinguisher battery under steps, all working panel for control of water pump, generator, etc. No leaks non smokers no pets ready to go, excellent condition! NO LEAKS! Many more pics available upon request
- Brenda Hall, Ohio

2019-02-02 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

I towed a trailer behind it and it drove like a dream. Easy and comfortable to drive. I love the slide so you can walk around the queen size bed and not have to climb over someone.. I love the dual sinks and the counter top area by the sink. Most campers do not have that. Plenty of shower room. The slide out table is very handy and one less thing to have to haul.
- sue scott, Ohio