Coachmen Freelander

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Freelander RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Cathleen Savage from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

The 2012 Freelander 21QB, actually 24' in length, is a great value for the money. It is a great option for two adults and up to two children. Although it technically sleeps six, that would be a bit crowded. In addition to the rear Queen bed, the dinette converts to a Full size bed (48" x 76"). The overcab bunk has a weight limit of 350 lbs. PROs: 1) The rear bed is 60" x 80", very spacious for an RV and so much more liveable than the "Short Queen" (60" x 76") that is so common in other models. An added bonus is that standard Queen-size sheets fit perfectly! 2) the fresh water holding tank is 50 gallons, lots bigger than most Class Cs and even some Class As. This means we stay out in remote areas longer without breaking camp. 3) The exterior "basement" storage is huge! Over 100 square feet! We can fit everything we need for a month-long trip in with no problem. Have not seen this much storage in other models. 4) It is very easy to drive and has a good turning radius. 5) The dinette is designed in a circular "lounge" style, which is great for watching TV and relaxing. See related Cons below. CONs: 1) The factory installed vents are cheap and flimsy. We immediately replaced ours with Fantastic Vents. 2) The window in the coach side entrance door (not the cab) is made of frosted glass, reducing driver visibility. We had ours replaced with clear safety glass and we added a shade for privacy when needed. 3) The table for the dinette is too big for the space. We took it out and just store it for when we might need to use it to convert the dinete into a bed. We use a large tv tray table for indoor dinners and we made our own insert to make the sofa more comfortable. 4) The wardrobe for hanging clothes has two rods that run from the exterior wall to the wardrobe door instead of a single rod running across the top of the wardrobe. A simple modification to make. I notice that Coachmen made this change to later models too. 5) Curved shower door on a track is irritating but functional. Coachmen changed this to a regular swinging door set on the diagonal in later models. Summary: with a few simple modifications, the 2012 Freelander 21QB is a great combination of compact size and desireable features! I would buy it again.
- Cathleen Savage, Colorado

2021-04-16 2006 Coachmen Freelander 31BH Ford 450 View Listings

The full sized shower can be separated from both the back bedroom and the front kitchen area. It has a very large storage bin (basement) area. Except for driving through campground, RV is only allowed to travel on well maintained, paved, minimum 2-lane roads. A GPS Tracking device is installed on RV
- Oscar Estrada, Georgia

2021-04-16 2006 Coachmen Freelander 31BH Ford 450 View Listings

Miles on the Powerful Ford Triton V10. Fantastic size with Kitchen and Sofa Slide Out making for a very spacious floor plan for its smaller and easier to drive size. With the Rear Queen Bed, Convertible Dinette, Sofa Bed and Front Loft Bed it offers enough sleeping space for up to 8!! Loaded with amenities and features. Includes 2 Flat Screen TV'S, Jensen Sound System with CD/DVD/MP3
- Stephen Reyes, California

2021-04-15 2006 Coachmen Freelander 31BH Ford 450 View Listings

The full sized shower can be separated from both the back bedroom and the front kitchen area. It has a very large storage bin (basement) area. Completely self-contained with generator, shower, toilet, microwave, sink, large refrigerator, roof A/C, heater, TV and DVD player.
- Nicholas Lathouris, Georgia

2021-04-09 2016 Coachmen Freelander 20CB Ford Transit View Listings

We're original owners and we're going into our 6th season with our Coachmen Freelander 20CB (This model is no longer made). It continues to serve us well, with NO problem either with the coach's appliances, electrical or water systems, or the Ford Transit engine and chassis. I do keep ahead of ALL maintenance myself and It is covered in the winter with an ADCO RV cover. I polish it and clean the roof once a season. This "beginners" level of motorhome has proven itself.
- Fred Gomes, Minnesota

2021-04-08 2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB 450 Ford View Listings

We just picked up our RV this week. A dream to drive, very smooth and easy to keep steady on the road. When getting it home and taking time to really go over the rv at our leisure, we’ve discovered the following. 1. Parts missing, some important, others not so much. Such as, a cap missing on the awning arm, the rubber cover for one of the captains chairs where you pull to turn the chair around. No windshield cover and cockpit table (it’s on our build sheet). No bedspread (which was likely not one I”d like anyway). Our drivers and passengers chairs are cloth, it specifies “simulated leather, (vinyl). 2. While taking some of the dozen or more stickers off the exterior and interior, one of the interior stickers actually pulled to color right off the wood (it was located in the bedroom area above where the optional washer and dryer would be). 3. My husband went to open a door and it fell apart in his hand (those magnets are strong). 4. Our shower pan has a long crack in it, our dealer patched it so we can use it and they’ve ordered another one. To summarize, we are very happy with our purchase. You can spend twice as much and get stronger, sturdier (and heavier) interior items, (we were checking out Super C’s). In our current budget, with just the two of us semi-retired folks, we know we won’t be hard on this unit. If I had kids at home, and you know kids, they’d destroy much of the interior in no time. 5. This particular Class C has no privacy curtain across the front, not a big deal, I’m purchasing a curtain rod and curtain from Bed Bath and Beyond and ta, da. There are hooks on the ceiling to hang the bar from, easy. Our goal was to stay within a length of 30 foot or less so I’d drive it while he works from the road, Check! To have a separate bedroom with a door rather than a curtain (I get up early and have coffee while the hubby sleeps), Check! This rv has a very roomy rear closet, Check! The E450 will pull our Jeep Unlimited, Check! There is room on the counter top for our Kurig, Check! I can drive it while my husband works front the road, Check! King size bed, DOUBLE CHECK! We will likely by next year, order and install new theatre seating. These seats are “ok”, but we think a good place to relax is rather important. The theatre seating in this rv are very entry level, but ok for now. For under $2000 we can get and install a comfy power set. Our J lounge is perfect for the quick meal, or a place for the grandson to spend the night. We will get a mattress topper for the King bed, the hubby likes a softer mattress. Not a big deal. We had a 40 foot Country Coach, new, MSRP about $500K (that was in 1998) This one came in at $100K, after negotiating a nice discount. So, we can’t expect it to have all the luxury features the old one had. So, for our current needs, this one checks all the boxes. I’d say for sure, when making a purchase, check the build sheet, check the actually rv line by line to ensure it’s got everything you’ve paid for. And, buy local. Sure, you might save a few thousand by driving out of your area, but seriously, who’s going to take care of you? Our dealer is the best. They are currently working with the sales rep for this manufacture to make all the above right on our behalf. Safe Travels!
- Debra Lind, Nevada

2021-03-11 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

I love this MH for the most part. There are a few things that I dislike, so I will start with those first. The bathroom dosent have a good medicine cabinet. A small crappy thing over the toilet so every time u open the door stuf falls in the toilet if the seat is up. Why did they install a life size mirror? Im camping in the woods not going to the RITZ.My old miniwinie had a very nice med cabinet with small mirror. Next is the shower door made of "glass"that falls off the track and weighs about 30 pounds. Its a pain to put it back on track but the toilet is plastic. None of the cabinets have holders so I need to get them installed, instead of using my head to hold the door open everytime I need to look in the cabinet.No inverter No Spare tire. OK, bed is very comfy and big, storage inside and out is huge. Drives like a truck and easy to minuever and comfortable for a long trip. Handles the blue ridge mountains like butter with full gas and water tanks. Generator is 4000 works great. AC works great. Has backup camera, dvd 40inch tv.Dinnete is a like a half moon, we dont use the table so it give us lots more room. we are considering recliner love seat instead its only 2 with 2 dogs. One sink, 3 burner stove w/oven nice size refridgerator. Outside door entrance has a space for another tv. I use the plug for my coffee pot placed on a small table. Awning is electric. As COVID put our travel plans on hold for a year, we will try and get some use this year for sure. On another note squarriels have eaten my fuel lines on this a rv and brake line on my previous rv. Cost me over 600 to get it fixed. Overall I really love this small MH its great and the upkeep is not too difficult. Safe travels my friends.
- TRACY, New Jersey

2021-03-08 2020 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

We upgraded from a Thor 24' to our Freelander 27' on a Chevy Savannah 3500 body, and love it. We are getting ready to retire and wanted something easy to travel with. This is the perfect unit for the two of us. We don't need the big slides or high ceilings. Just something easy, and this fits the bill perfectly. Instead of the bigger window, one extra cabinet over the sofa with a smaller window would have been nice. Everything else is great. Not one problem yet. We have already taken it several long trips and dozens of overnighters. So simple, pull in, put the jacks down, the awning out and we are ready to go! I highly recommend this unit for people looking for easy to use and easy to drive. We also pull a Mini Cooper Clubman on a dolly behind with no problems. We haven't needed the Factory Warranty or Support. I hope they are as good as they say if the time comes.
- robingillespie, Florida

2021-01-21 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Love this MH, had a 1981 Coachmen 2000XL for 29years and finally up graded to 2019 21QB on Ford 350. What I love about it 1.How it drives, plenty of power smooth ride, nice mirrors,9.5-10mpg. Love the size at 24' this MH can go almost anywhere and park in most single parking spaces. 2.Plenty of storage, the outside storage under the bed is huge with 4 plastic storage bins with drains.On the drivers side in front of the gen is a nice storage area for the sewer hose. Inside storage is also huge, above the bed and above the dinette, Huge storage under the dinette. 3. Tank size, 50gal fresh, 28gray, 22black plenty for 2 for a week off grid. 55gal gas gives 500 mile range. 4. The extra's that came with that others in this class did not. Tank heaters, electric Stabilizer Jacks, dual coach batteries, solar hookup. The negative, 1. No spare tire, jack, lug wrench, torque wrench. The salesman of course say nobody now days changes a tire just call aaa. Well I bought the above and the spare fits nicely in the rear storage area. It is wise the check all your tires air pressure and to torque the lugs before every long trip. 2. After our first shakedown trip we came up with a list of 8 items that needed fixing. From missing caulk, paint run in stove hood, hole in headliner behind visor, leaky window etc. The dealer fixed all items with no issues other than they had the MH for 4 weeks waiting on parts. Things I have added 1.Dish Network roof dish and receiver. 2. 600w inverter and power monitor. 3. Outside TV 4. Ultra Gauge engine monitor. This MH is perfect for the type of traveling we do. We normally only spend a night or two in one spot. Stay in campground only once a week or so. We stay in Walmart or Cracker Barrel when traveling and BLM or National forests off grid away from crowds.
- Bob, Michigan

2021-01-19 2018 Coachmen Freelander 22QB View Listings

2018 22 ft freelander coachman 450 chevy eng problem when accelerating uphill fan goes to very low speed.dealers cannot find problem when going on level ground fan return to normal.
- Jesse Hernandez, California

2020-11-28 2018 Coachmen Freelander 31BH View Listings

Excellent condition. This rig is special. Made with AZDEL products. Has a GIRARD 2.0 tankless hit water system. No more fast showers. Hot water for the entire family. 3 televisions. Upgraded mattress. Ford V 10 450 chassis. LOW MILEAGE 19394. Upgraded mattress. No pets or smoking ever in this rig. She just had the engine oil changed, the generator oil changed, brakes and tires inspected, slides serviced. In perfect condition for its new owner. Perfect for full time living or traveling across the country. Perfect condition ready to go. She is a gem.
- Shannon Strickland, Arizona

2020-11-10 2017 Coachmen Freelander 20CB Ford Transit View Listings

This has been a great little motor home. We had a few factory issues at first, but the dealer fixed them quickly. I see in the small print that I can't mention the dealer, but they were in Troy, Ohio. This RV is the sports truck of RVs. It handles nice and has plenty of power for getting on the highway. When fully loaded, it does have a problem getting up long steep grades. I have a tendency to keep my foot in it, so my mileage has never made it above about 13 miles per gallon, and is usually in the 8-10 range (at 65-70 mph) My biggest issue with this unit is the 25 gallon gas tank. It can only go about 300 miles before you need to refill. This is fine until you get out west where the gas stations can be few and far between. The layout is very handy and works well for our style of traveling. We camp to travel, not travel to camp. We usually drive from spot to spot, site seeing along the way, and do very little long term camping. I was going to get the optional solar panel, but so far the batteries get charged up enough when driving. I have yet to see this model with the "optional swivel passenger seat". That would be a great addition and should be standard. I can't get the RV dealer or Ford to install an after market seat because of "liability issues". It was also about half the price of most other RVs that were similar in style and size. A deciding factor for us poor folks!
- Lee Brooks, Ohio

2020-09-19 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26RS View Listings

I love my RV. Army Veteran retired CW3 and a Seargant First Class, Gold Star Wife and Family! I loved it... cooking while camping with the luxury of home! I have wonderful memories. Actually made me miss the field and the soldiers !
- Christina Kimber, California

2020-08-14 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS Ford View Listings

Factory warranty has expired & we haven’t needed to call support services so I have no evaluation of these areas. We have owned 3 previous RVs and finally found this RV that has everything we wanted. Storage inside and out is amazing. The floor plan is the best!! We love the ability to walk around the queen bed on both sides without climbing over each other. Having swivel seats on both drivers and passenger seat makes the living space more homey and comfortable. It is easy to drive as it is not too big, yet can sleep six. If we wouldn’t have bought a lake home, we would continue to love and keep this RV!
- Arlan Hofland, North Dakota

2020-08-14 2020 Coachmen Freelander 31BH Ford 450 View Listings

Loved my Adventure. My motorhome has taken me to many of the wonders of our spectacular country. I have met many interesting people with wanderlust and amazing stories. This has been a learning experience as well as an introduction to numerous extreme sports opportunities.
- Marie Crowe Vaughan , Washington

2020-08-08 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Coachman should be ashamed, embarrassed. I know I am for buying this unit. Everything is wrong and installed backwards using staples whenever they can get away from it. I dare someone to find the water pump then try and do basic maintenance on it, like cleaning the filter. The drain for the fresh water tank is inside, how do you drain it? The refrigerator fell out, the microwave fell out. The trim is horrible, put together with staples of course. Tried to put on a tow hitch, the wiring is backwards. Had to replace the tail lights, never sealed. The generator is mounted in the lowest position possible so it fills with road debris and dust which fouls the carburetor. Had a tech tell me to stay on pavement! What happened to quality control? Is no one looking? I will never buy Coachman/Forest River ever again. I tell all the same thing. Put this one in the trash. I will say though, that the 2017 Chevrolet express 4500 is awesome. Who put in the radio? It is also put in wrong, incomplete. Do NOT buy coachman/forest river. You will regret it.
- mbangham1, Texas

2020-08-04 2008 Coachmen Freelander 3130IS View Listings

If you want counter space this is the perfect Rv. Most rvs lack counter space this is perfect for entertaining. We have 3 tvs so everyone can watch what they wish. Had it now for 5 years and have enjoyed living in it for 5 months of the year in key west Fla. Easy to handle flat towing or dolly towing. Just the right size to get in and out of any rv park. There is lots of basement storage and lots of cubbies inside too. Good rv for the money. This was our first rv and was a trial to see if rving was for us, we love it ! We are buying a class a rv next.
- Mark rosa, New York

2020-08-03 2016 Coachmen Freelander 20CB Ford Transit View Listings

I have 2016 ford transit 350 HD 20 fit long. I lovet. So far no problems in 3 years usage. Easy to drive fits everywhere easy for maintenance. For the money perfect. I upgraded madras and chairs next upcoming upgrade lithium battery. Only front driving seats are not comfortable will upgrade. I lovet not planing get other one happy with this one.
- Dario, Washington

2020-08-01 2016 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

I have owned this Coachmen for approximately a year and had it in for service 11 times already and apparently the old owner had water damage, second time water invasion to the tune of $10,000, FOR S LESS THSN 4 YR OLD RV.NOT HAPPY.ONAN IS TERRIBLE.LAYOUT Could B Better..No STORAGE..
- Trish Schultz, Florida

2020-07-27 2017 Coachmen Freelander 31BH View Listings

Absolutely love the floor plan. We have 4 kids and over the last 4 years have taken many enjoyable trips to mountains, beaches, and forests. We travel frequently, but the memories made in this RV have been absolutely unforgettable. We've enjoyed stunning, magical white Christmases in the Rockies, with our stockings and colored lights hung across the RV under the light of the moon and a thousand bright stars, surrounded by towering snow-covered pines. To date, of all the vacations we've taken, the relaxing ones have been at the beach in the RV. Pleasant sea breezes, minimal clothes, minimal preparation, minimal stress, but full of fun and naps. Each kid has their own space to retreat in the RV when they need personal time, and the grownups have privacy in the master bedroom because of the large, solid sliding door. We've always had plenty of storage inside and under for beach gear, ski gear, Christmas presents, and more, and the V10 is a monster that pulls our truck Toad like a champ. Anytime we tell the kids we're going to take the RV somewhere they fall all over themselves with excitement. So glad we purchased this thing, and hope that these memories we've made last a lifetime.
- Austin Sparks, Texas

2020-03-10 2010 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Its drives really nice. The captain chairs are very comfortable. Its like driving a pick up truck. I loved this camper because it was so easy to go anywhere. Its small but fully self contained. With over 300 horsepower it has no problem moving right along. Just a great motorhome. The ad for the motorhome says the rest. I always kept up on all maintenance. The only reason I am selling it is because we are now retired and moving on to other things now. I saw a lot of great places in the 10 years I have owned it.
- Michael Wilson, South Carolina

2020-03-07 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QBC View Listings

The outside: Our 27 QB was delivered to us from Indiana from Total Value RV. This was our third Motor home in 10 years. It has been 1 1/2 years of repairs to make it right. Well as others said the windows are noisy and will not stay shut. These are the two large ones, Coachmen sent replacements and they leaked!! They sent another batch of replacements, different with dual locks on them but they do not leak and are quiet. The tail light are on their third set because they always leak or fail because of water damage that gets inside of them. The front cab over running lights on their second set. I’m sorry I live in a place where it rains a lot!! The door latch had to be shimmed so you could close the door without slamming it. Also it needed some pretty good bending to make the bottom of the door stop rubbing. The bumper was put on crooked and had to be really adjusted. The decals in several places had to be pocked with a pin to remove air bubbles. The 20’ awning is getting stuck all the time and has to be pulled and pushed on to stay reasonable straight. And if you get in any wind past 5mph put it in cause it will get out of alignment!! The Inside: Saw dust everywhere had to clean everything especially under cushions!! Screws and staples left around on the floor and under things!! The water heater leaked, and failed!! This turned into a big thing with leaky hoses and a bad control board. Along with the constant rattle noise that I finally found that it was not mounted properly. The bathroom smelled like pee all the time and guess what the toilet was leaking where the top and bottom go together!! Cabinets not aligned up well, along with the end pieces on the dinette that were put on with more than one inch difference. The finish cover tape on walls where the panels come together put on uneven. Staples are coming out all over the cabinets and need to be carefully pushed in all the time!! They are the same color as the wood so I guess that made it OK to them. The Serta mattress upgrade is a joke and goes flat all the time, but it is slightly better than a stock one. Power plugs that like to fall out, and the best thing a big ¼” slot on the bottom of the fuse box, hole cut to big that’s OK pass it along!! And the fuse box door keep falling open all the time, had to put Velcro in to solve that, now you pull the edge to get it open but it works. Window blinds and coverings put on badly and not straight. The repairs go on and probably will never stop we always find something every time we go out. Who paid for all of this: Well after calls and email over the course from when it was delivered to now they did pay for the repairs. And sent all the parts, not an easy task to get your money back from Coachmen but they do eventually send you your repair cost. So the moral of the story do not buy a new Coachmen Motor home, get used something that somebody has had all the factory problems fixed. Why do I say buy Coachmen well we have a lot of experience and well better than most other brands. We just went to a large RV dealer and looked at many brands and types and were surprised that Coachmen was on top in the garbage can, I mean really surprised.
- Tom , Oregon

2020-03-01 2017 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

It has been such a great experience traveling with our family of five. This RV has everything we need to travel comfortably and spend time together as a family. I recommend the Coachmen Freelander based on its floor layout and comfort. I think your family will also enjoy it!
- Jennifer Easterling, Alabama

2020-02-08 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

We have spent 6-7 mos a year in this Freelander 21RS and love it. The best feature is the walk around queen bed and it sleeps better than the one at home. Usually you have to go with at least a 24 foot unit to get a walk around queen bed. The unit is setup very nice for long time living with big cabinets, sinks and lots and lots of storage. It is the perfect size for getting into a lot of boondocking spaces and all the state and national parks. We pulled a tow vehicle with no problems.
- Dee, Florida

2020-01-26 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

We purchased Sept 2019, and this unit has been falling apart since we left the parking lot. It seems that our microwave is no longer attached to the wall. This is our 3rd attempt at rectifying a “manufactured issue”, as we have only possessed this unit since September 23, 2019. The stove was not inserted properly and had to be readjusted during our last visit to Camping World in addition to the cabinet unit detached from the wall, there were multiple tools such as razors and wrench's left in the case of the air conditioning unit, as well as the covers on the roof, and magnets had to be replaced on 8 of the doors/cabinets. The Mobile RV repair company attempted to rectify the window not staying shut no matter the force used to close it, but failed. They did fix our brake lights, but the black water tank censor is still broken. Lastly, as of January 24, 2019, the toilet flap that hold the water before releasing into the tank does not work properly and water can no longer be held in the toilet, and again the microwave is detached from the wall. PLEASEEEE HELPPPP
- Shontice , Delaware