Coachmen Freelander Reviews on RV Insider (41)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Freelander RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Cathleen Savage from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

The 2012 Freelander 21QB, actually 24' in length, is a great value for the money. It is a great option for two adults and up to two children. Although it technically sleeps six, that would be a bit crowded. In addition to the rear Queen bed, the dinette converts to a Full size bed (48" x 76"). The overcab bunk has a weight limit of 350 lbs. PROs: 1) The rear bed is 60" x 80", very spacious for an RV and so much more liveable than the "Short Queen" (60" x 76") that is so common in other models. An added bonus is that standard Queen-size sheets fit perfectly! 2) the fresh water holding tank is 50 gallons, lots bigger than most Class Cs and even some Class As. This means we stay out in remote areas longer without breaking camp. 3) The exterior "basement" storage is huge! Over 100 square feet! We can fit everything we need for a month-long trip in with no problem. Have not seen this much storage in other models. 4) It is very easy to drive and has a good turning radius. 5) The dinette is designed in a circular "lounge" style, which is great for watching TV and relaxing. See related Cons below. CONs: 1) The factory installed vents are cheap and flimsy. We immediately replaced ours with Fantastic Vents. 2) The window in the coach side entrance door (not the cab) is made of frosted glass, reducing driver visibility. We had ours replaced with clear safety glass and we added a shade for privacy when needed. 3) The table for the dinette is too big for the space. We took it out and just store it for when we might need to use it to convert the dinete into a bed. We use a large tv tray table for indoor dinners and we made our own insert to make the sofa more comfortable. 4) The wardrobe for hanging clothes has two rods that run from the exterior wall to the wardrobe door instead of a single rod running across the top of the wardrobe. A simple modification to make. I notice that Coachmen made this change to later models too. 5) Curved shower door on a track is irritating but functional. Coachmen changed this to a regular swinging door set on the diagonal in later models. Summary: with a few simple modifications, the 2012 Freelander 21QB is a great combination of compact size and desireable features! I would buy it again.
- Cathleen Savage, Colorado

2020-03-10 2010 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Its drives really nice. The captain chairs are very comfortable. Its like driving a pick up truck. I loved this camper because it was so easy to go anywhere. Its small but fully self contained. With over 300 horsepower it has no problem moving right along. Just a great motorhome. The ad for the motorhome says the rest. I always kept up on all maintenance. The only reason I am selling it is because we are now retired and moving on to other things now. I saw a lot of great places in the 10 years I have owned it.
- Michael Wilson, South Carolina

2020-03-07 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QBC View Listings

The outside: Our 27 QB was delivered to us from Indiana from Total Value RV. This was our third Motor home in 10 years. It has been 1 1/2 years of repairs to make it right. Well as others said the windows are noisy and will not stay shut. These are the two large ones, Coachmen sent replacements and they leaked!! They sent another batch of replacements, different with dual locks on them but they do not leak and are quiet. The tail light are on their third set because they always leak or fail because of water damage that gets inside of them. The front cab over running lights on their second set. I’m sorry I live in a place where it rains a lot!! The door latch had to be shimmed so you could close the door without slamming it. Also it needed some pretty good bending to make the bottom of the door stop rubbing. The bumper was put on crooked and had to be really adjusted. The decals in several places had to be pocked with a pin to remove air bubbles. The 20’ awning is getting stuck all the time and has to be pulled and pushed on to stay reasonable straight. And if you get in any wind past 5mph put it in cause it will get out of alignment!! The Inside: Saw dust everywhere had to clean everything especially under cushions!! Screws and staples left around on the floor and under things!! The water heater leaked, and failed!! This turned into a big thing with leaky hoses and a bad control board. Along with the constant rattle noise that I finally found that it was not mounted properly. The bathroom smelled like pee all the time and guess what the toilet was leaking where the top and bottom go together!! Cabinets not aligned up well, along with the end pieces on the dinette that were put on with more than one inch difference. The finish cover tape on walls where the panels come together put on uneven. Staples are coming out all over the cabinets and need to be carefully pushed in all the time!! They are the same color as the wood so I guess that made it OK to them. The Serta mattress upgrade is a joke and goes flat all the time, but it is slightly better than a stock one. Power plugs that like to fall out, and the best thing a big ¼” slot on the bottom of the fuse box, hole cut to big that’s OK pass it along!! And the fuse box door keep falling open all the time, had to put Velcro in to solve that, now you pull the edge to get it open but it works. Window blinds and coverings put on badly and not straight. The repairs go on and probably will never stop we always find something every time we go out. Who paid for all of this: Well after calls and email over the course from when it was delivered to now they did pay for the repairs. And sent all the parts, not an easy task to get your money back from Coachmen but they do eventually send you your repair cost. So the moral of the story do not buy a new Coachmen Motor home, get used something that somebody has had all the factory problems fixed. Why do I say buy Coachmen well we have a lot of experience and well better than most other brands. We just went to a large RV dealer and looked at many brands and types and were surprised that Coachmen was on top in the garbage can, I mean really surprised.
- Tom , Oregon

2020-03-01 2017 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

It has been such a great experience traveling with our family of five. This RV has everything we need to travel comfortably and spend time together as a family. I recommend the Coachmen Freelander based on its floor layout and comfort. I think your family will also enjoy it!
- Jennifer Easterling, Alabama

2020-02-08 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

We have spent 6-7 mos a year in this Freelander 21RS and love it. The best feature is the walk around queen bed and it sleeps better than the one at home. Usually you have to go with at least a 24 foot unit to get a walk around queen bed. The unit is setup very nice for long time living with big cabinets, sinks and lots and lots of storage. It is the perfect size for getting into a lot of boondocking spaces and all the state and national parks. We pulled a tow vehicle with no problems.
- Dee, Florida

2020-01-26 2019 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

We purchased Sept 2019, and this unit has been falling apart since we left the parking lot. It seems that our microwave is no longer attached to the wall. This is our 3rd attempt at rectifying a “manufactured issue”, as we have only possessed this unit since September 23, 2019. The stove was not inserted properly and had to be readjusted during our last visit to Camping World in addition to the cabinet unit detached from the wall, there were multiple tools such as razors and wrench's left in the case of the air conditioning unit, as well as the covers on the roof, and magnets had to be replaced on 8 of the doors/cabinets. The Mobile RV repair company attempted to rectify the window not staying shut no matter the force used to close it, but failed. They did fix our brake lights, but the black water tank censor is still broken. Lastly, as of January 24, 2019, the toilet flap that hold the water before releasing into the tank does not work properly and water can no longer be held in the toilet, and again the microwave is detached from the wall. PLEASEEEE HELPPPP
- Shontice , Delaware

2020-01-11 2007 Coachmen Freelander 2600SO View Listings

This was a great RV for our lengthy trip out west. We were in weather from 95 degrees to 29 degrees and we were comfortable at all times. Overall, we put on 5,000 miles in 3.5 weeks, no problem. RV handled hills with ease and had plenty of room for our everyday lives.
- Mary Ann Hyde, North Carolina

2019-10-03 2020 Coachmen Freelander 32DS Ford 450 View Listings

After spending 100, I drive it off the lot and down the expressway when the tvehicle antenna falls off. The dealer is more than happy to fix it. I contact coachmen to let them know and ask what I am going to get for my trouble of having to take it back. Jason, of Coachmen, tells me he'll take care of it with the service department where I take it. Well that didn't happen. I guess they are not concerned with you once you've plunked down the cash. Secondly, the kitchen sink and faucet are really cheap.
- Rodger Nelson , Texas

2019-09-01 2007 Coachmen Freelander 2600SO View Listings

This RV has been dependable with no issues. Being 12 years old, it has continued to be a work horse on the road with power to spare. The last 4500 mile trip went without a problem and my family had the time of their lives.
- Kevin Hyde, North Carolina

2019-08-12 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QBC View Listings

No quality control at factory. First camping trip the circuit board on the hot water heater quit working. The furrion in dash radio screen went black and now the shower drain is leaking on the floor. only three months of ownership and i wished i had my 5th wheel back. if i had it to do over, i would not buy this quickly put together junk. again, no quality control at factory.
- woody chalk, Mississippi

2019-07-14 2018 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

Have taken this Class C RV on one long trip and several short ones. At 24.3 feet long it’s easy to drive. I sometimes pull a small car behind and hardly notice it’s there. I like the size because it’s easy to park and to maneuver through parking lots. The size also makes it ideal for getting off the freeway and seeing the real America. The inside is big enough to accommodate two adults comfortably, although we had our two grandkids stay with us for a couple of nights without any problems. The queen-sized mattress is remarkably comfortable and exceeds our expectations. We never slept as well when we were just tenting it.
- Greg Wright, Florida

2019-06-19 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26RS View Listings

Loved every aspect of this RV.....Purchased in Apr 2019 and used it for the first time goibg to Nashville.....Gatlinburg.....Smokey Mountains.....RAN LIKE A CHAMP.....put in new Smart TV for hook up cable sucks.....we streamed movies.....ride back to home was lots of fun....easy to drive and felt very safe....my wife said I was fun to be on a trip with.....not once did we listen to the radio.....just talked 18 hrs all the way.... GREAT TRIP....
- Rick Friedman , Texas

2019-05-11 2013 Coachmen Freelander 19CB View Listings

I am over the top in love with my little class c. I just (5-2019) bought it, with only 33k miles, a 2013, for under 30K!! The most awesome floorplan with it's cute kitchen with so much counter space! I removed the table, and made that area an L shaped sitting area, with the aid of a nice perfect height long flip top padded box or "bench," (makes for added storage too). Speaking of storage, this little coach has tons inside and out! I added 400 watts of solar and a Nature's Head, as well as combining my grey and black tank. Got my "Berky" too! My new home is a dream!
- Tony Wallis, Montana

2019-04-06 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

Love the floor plan and drives just like driving a pick up truck. Was hard to believe I was towing something, had to use the rear view camera to be sure the trailer was there!! Absolutely loved this camper!!
- Sue Snith, Ohio

2019-03-21 2017 Coachmen Freelander 22QB View Listings

Best layout in an RV. Can go anywhere because it is 24'10" so under the 25' limit. Very user friendly. AC works fast. Electric everything. Extended gas tank perfect for long trips and good gas mileage.
- Sean, California

2019-03-07 2015 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

2015 Coachman Freelander 27QB 27 ' chevy 4500 , automatic, gasoline fuel backup camera! sleeps 6-8 walkaround queen bed booth dinette turns into bed soft folds out to sleep loft overhead also bed bedroom includes ample closet space, 24' tv in corner and water storage under bed separate shower bath with 3 storage cabinets fridge/freezer microwave, propane oven 24' attached tv in loft space outside to add another small tv AC, gas generator, smoke alarm and extinguisher battery under steps, all working panel for control of water pump, generator, etc. No leaks non smokers no pets ready to go, excellent condition! NO LEAKS! Many more pics available upon request
- Brenda Hall, Ohio

2019-02-02 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS View Listings

I towed a trailer behind it and it drove like a dream. Easy and comfortable to drive. I love the slide so you can walk around the queen size bed and not have to climb over someone.. I love the dual sinks and the counter top area by the sink. Most campers do not have that. Plenty of shower room. The slide out table is very handy and one less thing to have to haul.
- sue scott, Ohio

2019-01-23 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QB View Listings

I bought my RV to motor home specialist alvarado tx brand new at 1190 mileage, after driving 180 on my way home to El Paso , Tx check engine light starts to went off. ABS, traction control, stability track control were malfunctioning, window glass keeps opening while you were driving, screws from the window starts to lossen, bathroom door keeps opening, sun roof making a loud noise because its not air tight seal Imagine the sound of washine machine, awning motor dinot closing right, generator won’t prime from the inside panel you have to prime it manually outside and open the front cover of the generator.... and so much more. I bought a brand new but this is a piece of crap
- Ricardo Patagan, Texas

2018-12-18 2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH View Listings

Owning this rv has been a nightmare from beginning to end. We got a great price but had problems with water leaks everywhere and they just cant seem to find them all and get them fixed. Went to several dealerships same results. Compartment above the cab where the bed is leaked we had that fixed is continue to leak we've continued to have problems. Are back storage area on the passenger side has never sealed properly and we are constantly getting water in there. We were in a storm in New York which caused a problem with the roof which cause water damage in the back and they supposedly fix that. However we still are now getting water inside and that back corner and now they think it might be coming from the seal around the slide out. We consistently have water in many of the storage compartments and can't figure out exactly where it's coming from. The wall panel right next to the fridge I'm is completely boat out and no matter what they do cannot get it to stay put and I think that's probably from Western water damage. Opened up one of the storage compartments the other day and found mushrooms growing in the crease around the store inside of the storage area. And everything was all wet.
- Dawn, Indiana

2018-10-12 2017 Coachmen Freelander 31BH View Listings

I have owned 2 Freelanders. The Class C bunk house is perfect for my family. Our 4 children each have a bed and we never have to break down the couch or dinette. Great storage space inside and out and we have plenty of room for us all when we are driving and also when we are camped. We have traveled 45 of the States in our Freelanders and have had the most amazing time. I recommend this make and model all the time. I have loved my RV!
- Jll McLain, Colorado

2018-10-05 2012 Coachmen Freelander 23CB View Listings

I bought this November 2017, it's been an amazing RV, I know everyone probably says that on these things, but it truly has. The power it has, the sleeping, comfort, bathroom, kitchen, and just everything about it has been beyond my expectations. I just had everything service and had new tires put on. I have however recently suffered a back injury which is not allowing me to enjoy it anymore like I used to or want to. I hope it treats the third owners as great as myself, and previous owners before me.
- Jake Worman, Idaho

2018-09-07 2009 Coachmen Freelander 3150SS View Listings

We love our RV! It's very roomy and there is tons of storage space both inside and out. The bathroom is in a nice compartment off the master bed and there is a free standing shower. Excellent lightening throughout.
- Marion Bullick, Texas

2018-08-20 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21QB View Listings

Drives easily tows easily cozy and functional . Fully contained, parked in a car space, backed right in between 2 automobiles at a state park. Good, solid motor home. Generator works great. Had a leak, just missed the warranty, it was clear that it was a manufactured defect. Coachman fixed it, no charge.
- Tammy, Ohio

2018-05-15 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26RS View Listings

Great RV. Easy to drive,has the new Ford 6 speed automatic transmission. The qeen size bed is a dream. Lots of storage space. Didn't like the shore power hook up so i modified it. V-10 TRiton has lots of power, Mine sit's on the E-450 chassis which has the bigger breakes and larger load capacity.
- Mike Thomas, California

2017-10-07 2013 Coachmen Freelander 19CB View Listings

Love this RV, especially this specific year (2013) and layout! I think what sold me on this RV was the kitchen. Almost all RV’s we ever looked at had a galley style kitchen with just a small pop-up end table to prep food on! It is rare to see this “large” of kitchen in a RV...especially since it’s in one of the smallest Class C RV’s you can buy. We love to cook and there is so much room to do this in this kitchen. I would’ve love to see an oven or even a convection microwave oven, but it wasn’t a deal breaker. We went out an bought a really nice Toaster Oven and carry it in the RV when we need an oven. Seriously, I can’t say enough about the LAYOUT in the 2013 Coachmen Freelander 19cb. The designer was so smart about everything...utilizing every little space in the right way! There is no wasted space in this little RV and to be able to sleep 5 people....WOW!!!! Whomever designed this 2013 RV Layout should win RV Designer of The Year!!! This RV will not disappoint you!
- Jody, California