Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Richard Rotte from Colorado says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS View Listings

Great layout with plentiful storage. Upon delivery I made some modifications. I added vent covers to protect from hail damage and I cut down the RV King bed to a standard queen, in order to make more room for making the bed. I brought the unit home from the dealer and made the above modifications, then I put the unit in storage; about 40 minutes, each way, from home. When I brought the unit out of storage last week to make our first trip I noted that the clothes rod, hanger strip, in the hall closet had fallen, with nothing on it. I rehung the rod using larger, shorter, screws and put a screw in every hole. Upon arrival noted the clothes rod, hanger strip, had come down on one side, bent, and was being held up by the one screw the was in a cross strut. Built frame out of oak 1 x 2 after returning home and reattached clothes rod, hanger strip. Shortly after arriving noticed that there was something hanging under unit with some wire. Inspection revealed that an access had been cut into the bottom cover and then taped up and the tape did not adhere. I retaped with duct tape, but it did not hold. I retaped with carpet tape today, not sure if it will hold?????? When using the DVD player there were lines on the TV and I could not get the sound to come through the TV speakers. Removed DVD player and moved L and R speaker wires from input to output. Upon leaving the camp site it was noted that the USB charging outlet under the TV was not working. Ordered replacement on Amazon. When my wife opened the freezer, at the camp site, the beauty panel fell out. I reinstalled the panel, but it fell out again when we were unloading the unit after we returned home. This time I put carpet tape on the top and bottom of the panel prior to reinstalling. We'll see. While taping the access panel under the unit I noticed that the holes where the lines and pipes came out from under the rig were not completely sealed. I used some high density foam to thoroughly seal the openings. Noticed that some of the exterior trim screws are coming out and I will replace those with aluminum pop rivets. I'm a little annoyed but overall happy with the unit. We really like the layout.
- Richard Rotte, Colorado

2021-07-26 2019 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 287BHDS View Listings

We ordered this unit brand new straight from the factory Jan 2020. Received March 2020. The day after we took possession of unit we noticed water on the floor by the slide. We took it the next day to a dealership to diagnose. Found out the slide was leaking when it was closed. If it was open it was fine. The unit sat at the dealership for 3 months and nothing was done. We ended up taking the unit to another dealership. This dealership worked on it off and on and we would go get it in between to try and use it. We used it total of 5 times in the span of 16 months that we owned it. In these five times here is a list of problems and warranty work done. 1. Leaking Slide 2. Leaking toilet 3. Sink Drain leaked 4.Large sliding window in slide was bent and would not lock. 6. Battery was bad after 6 months 7.Front jack went bad. 8. Front screen door handle broke. 9. Black water cleanout backflow valve leaked. We have owned 3 RV's before this one never having issues like this. Most things were fixed by the dealership and taken care of except for the slide leak. The dealership thought the hole was cut to big but coachmen thought it was seals. When the camper is not at the dealership we have had to pay for undercover storage to keep the unit from being damaged. The dealership has tried 7 or 8 different fixes for the slide and none have worked. As the consumer it has been very frustrating because the dealership blames coachmen for the delay and time for the next fix and then coachmen blames the dealership. It has taken 16 months to get the leak resolved. This includes myself calling or going into the dealership weekly. We have called coachmen and talked to Steve Brandenburg multiple times. He was not very helpful or in a hurry to get this resolved. I had asked for refund of my storage cost and they would not. You would think they would want to get a leaking camper resolved as soon as possible but 16 months later we have been told it is finally fixed. We share this story so others will know that customer service has been nothing short of non existent. The quality of the camper we bought was poor. Just know going in coachmen will be tough to work with if you have a major problem. In the end we are appreciative of the dealership and their help to get us through this. As soon as they told us it was fixed July 2021 we sold the unit immediately. Sadly to say the happiest day we had owning the RV. We will not purchase a coachmen or forest river product ever again due to the lack of pride in the product. Do your homework and if possible hire a 3rd party RV inspector even if it is brand new. It could save you a lot of time, frustration and money!
- Nick K, Colorado

2021-04-05 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 257BHS View Listings

We bought this RV brand new and notice several defects the first time we took it out. The toilet leaked, there was a hole in the awning, the refrigerator door broke, water leaked in from the skylight in the bathroom ect. I could look over all of these defects if it wasn't for the fact that we have been waiting 8 months for the repairs to be completed and are still waiting to received a completion date. At this point we don't even want the RV anymore. We would just assume get our money back and be done with it.
- Kristina, Missouri

2020-11-09 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

Have no problems with the RV. Did not give full marks for livability as it is not for full timing but vacations. Nothing wrong so did not call on Factory for support. I tow it with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6, no problems tows smoothly. We like rear kitchen as fridge is close to outside. We like the bedroom in rear for privacy. Plenty of storage. Great having the dining booth overlooking the campsite rather than the other side of the unit. Power awning, power tongue jack and power stab jacks great.
- George Betz, Kentucky

2020-10-10 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 192RBS View Listings

Thisis our 4th Travel Trailer and our 1st new one. I am not impressed, the quality is definitely not at the level I expected. It appears to have been just thrown together. The cabinet hardware was mounted using too short screws and pulled out upon opening, the panel at the end of the bed to the floor is 1/8 luan and will not stay attached to the frame. The shower is adequate but the floor is very flexible, it feels ready to break. The small details are shoddily done, the trim is not finished on the ends, the light cover over the bed falls off each time I turn it on, not enough storage on the inside, the outlets move when you plug in things to the point that it bows the luan, already had to have the USB ports on either side of the bed replaced, and to have indicator lights on everything is ridiculous, I don't need a bright blue light on all the time the water heater is on. So very disappointed in this brand new camper, already looking to trade.
- Gerri Szamocki, Connecticut

2020-09-08 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 192RBS View Listings

We bought our first RV January 2020. First time having it out we were not able to run clean water into the black tank to rinse it out. Dealer found the hose was crimped. Also the air conditioner kept popping the circuit breaker sometimes in the RV and other times out at the electrical post. Dealer replaced the AC unit. New one was making a racket at time of pickup from repair. Took rig to Colorado. Shower leaked water that I fixed with silicon and the commode water line leaked. I fixed that also. I dropped off my RV at the dealer on way back from Colorado for warranty repairs. I have about 10 items on the list for repairs. I thought buying a Coachman would mean better quality. How wrong I was. These RV's are just thrown together with little quality control. The dealer has no skin in the game as far as repairs since they just rely on the warranty. Warranty repair takes forever to get approval and repaired. You better be good at doing repairs if you own an RV. They will charge you an arm and leg if your rig is not under warranty. Not sure if you can find any that are built with real quality. THe manufacturer and the dealer expect you to do the quality control which requires you to do all the work getting it back in for repairs. And it take weeks to get your unit repaired. I dropped my off and was told it would be in line for repairs for two weeks before they would lift a finger to do any repairs. This is reality in owning an RV. If you don't like working on RV's for have lots of cash for repairs don't bother buying one. That's my advice.
- fendr1962, Texas

2020-07-25 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

A wonderful sample easy to tow and easy to set up. Great camper for the small family or couple. Because it's a 30 amp system its always easy to find a camp ground that we can use. The size also makes it easy to tow, any half ton pickup can tow with ease.
- Elbert Kennard, North Carolina

2020-06-21 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 192RBS View Listings

We love our camper. My only complaint would be the ac is a single unit in the center of the ceiling and its loud. It makes it hard to sleep sometimes because the system is so loud. Other than that this is the perfect trailer.
- Tammy, South Carolina

2020-06-08 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

We bought this rv for the floor plan, removable table etc. I have to agree with the reviews I have read. Poor quality everywhere. Before we had even used it, the door fell,off, the frame around the bed fell down exposing screws, the microwave worked for 3 minutes, the heater started to run with no way to turn it off (an 800 dollar repair) and While the paperwork said the furnace was covered for 2 years the dealership told us this isn’t actually the case. Honestly we don’t feel safe in it. One of the footings fell off. I could go on. Someone need to be accountable for the poor quality of the product.
- Deb Fernandes, Alberta

2019-11-26 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

I have owned this a little less than one year and absolutely love it. It is used primarily for long weekends and vacations, about a total of 30 days. There are many features the others don't have - outdoor kitchen, dinette with removable free standing table, loveseat, and window in bathroom. Tows great and is small enough so parking is easy in most campgrounds including state parks. Had issue with oven but the dealer replaced it and did other minor fixes covered under warranty. Perfect size for a couple and guests/grandkids. One slide is enough to give an open feel. Would not change anything to its design.
- Tammie, Florida

2019-11-23 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

We bought it sight unseen based on floor plan. We drove to another state to get it because no model in our state. We got home to find brake wires hanging underneath which could have been a disaster. End-cap missing on sewer. Ripped cushion on dinette. Sink cover missing. Toilet roll thing missing parts not installed. Shelf in bathroom way too high. Only center of shower supported but not all around the center, only a couple of screws in rail for bedroom curtain so was sagging, TV was mounted crooked, obviously done when trailer was not level. A lot of cabinets were too tight and difficult to open. It was clear to us there is no quality control. No one is looking at them before they leave the factory and whomever they hire has no pride in workmanship, Clearly the dealership did nothing to fix the items before we got there. We were lucky though, the dealer in our state was super about repairing everything. 5 things I did not like about this model is the pantry too small, there are no drawers for your clothes, when the slide is in, its a squeeze to get in bathroom, door hits slide. It is a cheap small oven and does not hold heat. We had it replaced and new one does the same thing. It is impossible to bake in so had to purchase a toaster oven we keep under bed. A bigger fridge would be nice. We are already looking for a more expensive better made trailer. On our second trip the slide was moving out on its own while driving. We had to stop and figure out how to manually crank in, wasn’t working. Then put boards in to keep from falling out. They fixed it. Then we went on a month long trip and we noticed when we hit a bump top of slide popping out. Dealer said unfixable we have to put clamps in when we drive to keep it from happening. Then on the inside we noticed slide not level tipping up so a cupboard door won’t open. They said they cannot adjust this type of slide so they just adjusted the door. We were at Crater Lake OR really cold in the 30’s and the furnace quit. We had to small electric heaters we used rest of trip, not adequate. When we got home sent to dealer furnace worked fine, they ran it all day. We are now in day 3 of 10 day trip and furnace quit again. We are using our electric heaters. We have had this trailer a year and nothing but problems. I would not advise buying shoddily made.
- Robbyn Bray, Washington

2019-09-12 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 281RLDS View Listings

We really enjoy this RV. With the large slide out, we find lots of windows giving us the feeling of being outside. The sofa bed is comfortable and opens easily without moving the tow lounge chairs in the back. The large table has seating for 6 and as a bed, fits our over 6 ft. tall SIL. We love the roominess. We have had many RVs and this one is definitely our best. I did get a different sway bar system that works well and the unit tows well with my 2016 Yukon. Outside washes well and shines up easily. Absolutely no complaints so far other than the Coleman pull out grill that has no burner on it. It is only a grill. Also, we find the bed hard to make in the morning but devised a method that works for us. We’ve camped in it 29 days so far and loved every minute. Camper is a quality built RV.
- Rich Stackhouse, Pennsylvania

2019-06-23 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

We just love this RV as for the right size and towing. Not too small and not too large. Easy to pull or back into campsites. Coachman has done it right. The overall look is sleek and aerodynamic and very easy to set up.
- S Marrotte, Connecticut

2019-01-12 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS View Listings

January 2019 is our one year ownership anniversary. This is simply an outstanding trailer, we love it. After reading a bunch of negative articles about the quality of travel trailers in general, I guess we got lucky as we have not had any issues with the Coachmen aspect of the trailer. My wife and I are very pleased with the quality and livability of our Coachmen trailer. Plenty of room available with the slide out for two people. On the negative side (there is always a negative right?), we are going to replace the sofa and the foam seat cushions on the kitchen table seating area as they are very uncomfortable after sitting on them for awhile. In my opinion this is not a negative against Coachmen as this is the standard seating for a trailer this price point. We replaced the standard mattress with a residential queen size mattress and we are very happy that we did. I was surprised that our Atwood furnace stopped working on our last day of our latest camping trip and the trailer temperature was in the low 40's. The technician said the sail switch was the cause of the failure. The technician stated that this was not uncommon as the switch needs lubrication and will fail from lack of use. Very poor design if true. Needless to say, our next item to buy is a space heater for the trailer. On the positive side, we love the floor plan and yes the build quality of the trailer. The aluminum frame with Azdel construction and walk on roof are big pluses. We like the ceiling and wall vents (vice floor vents), good size bathroom with a nice shower and porcelain toilet, jalousie window in the kitchen area and just a ton of storage space throughout the trailer. My tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton Tundra and this trailer tows really well with our weight distribution hitch. Bottom line is, we have throughly enjoyed our Coachmen camping experience and it is a perfect "couples" trailer for us.
- Howard Cozine, California