Coachmen Freedom Express Reviews on RV Insider (35)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Freedom Express RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Robert from North Carolina says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS View Listings

This is the Freedom Express Select (cheaper version of the model). Likes: tows fantastic! increased axle spacing really helps with tracking and control during windy conditions. Fit and finish all over is great. All appliances worked flawlessly for both dry camping and wet camping. Septic flush worked really well though I used the Rhino septic pipe, fittings, flush elbow, etc. stores in bumper. Lighting is good and plentiful inside and in outside rear storage. Also, love the storage everywhere - inside and out. Dislikes: Seat back cushions do not make a uniform substrate for use as a bed due to the non-symmetrical design. We found buying an inflatable Coleman bed worked great on top of the cushions. We don't appreciate the imitation wood pattern paper glued to the luan panels - marrs easily and can actually tear due to a bad scratch or ding. Frames are solid wood and pocket screwed but I doubt the panels will hide wear. Also, the toilet bowl is very, very small! Enough room to have put a larger bowl. The ledge in the bathroom makes no sense but not a problem - just odd 'shelf' with no real use. Though storage everywhere is plentiful, you will need to customize for shelves and dividers or use tote bins as doors don't cover all storage areas. Finally, the white LEDs under the awning is stupid - yes - stupid. Even the cheapest competitors use the remote controlled multi-colored awning lights. White attracts bugs whereas amber or amber-red doesn't. Overall, for $22K we feel this is a great buy and would/will recommend this model and brand. Very happy thus far with our purchase!
- Robert, North Carolina

2020-06-04 2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS View Listings

We had bought this Camper about 4 years ago used and ABSOLUTELY love it... the only problem we have had with it since we bought it was the Jensen CD/DVD player.. so we bought a diffrent one and installed. But overall; it is a BEAUTIFUL camper and set up!!! Highly recommended... Love it!!!
- Sheila J, Pennsylvania

2020-06-02 2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 297RLDS View Listings

Love the look of RV and floor plan but quality is lacking. Already had to fix sliding door track, carbon monoxide detector, shower floor and now the roof is messed up in less than a year. We don’t not live in it. Maybe have used it 8 times for long weekends. The factory or dealer will not cover roof repair. You can see the wood coming through the roof material. No tears or rips. it was kept under a cover while not in use. I will never buy from Coachman again. Terrible service after the sale. For 50k price tag, it should be better! Basically, only a little better than junk. This is the 4th and worst one we have owned! Lesson learned!
- Fran Cole, North Carolina

2020-05-26 2020 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition View Listings

I love my 2020 Freedom Express Liberty Edition! Everywhere I go I get compliments on how nice my rig is. The large windshield window at the front bedroom allows for a lot of light in the bedroom and awesome views outside. With two large slide outs adjacent to each other in the main living area it really opens up the space and it doesn't feel tight at all! An abundance of windows brings in a lot of light so this travel trailer is not dark at all. I like having the center island with the sink and spray faucet. The coffee bar is nice. Oh....The Freedom Express Liberty Edition has so much storage!!! I still have cabinets with nothing, or very little in them! There is a large pantry in the kitchen area. The AC units blow very cold. The LED accent light package inside the RV is a nice feature, especially if you are entertaining family/friends. With the Liberty edition, I have a nice sized porcelain toilet that is great. I am completely and 100% satisfied with my purchase and would buy the same RV again. I've owned my RV for 4 months now and living in it full time and I'm still finding things I didn't know about that are so cool. I LOVE this thing!!! Now, has everything worked 100%? No, but I have already reached out to Coachmen Warranty Service and they have provided me authorized shops in my area to take my RV to for warranty work. First, my furnace stopped heating. From what I understand the system attempts to light 3 times and if it doesn't light after the third attempt the system turns the fan off and will not retry. I've got to get that warranty item resolved. Also, my Drivers' side rear stabilizer jack stopped working electronically so I have to manually crank it. Honestly, its probably just a blown fuse but I haven't checked it yet. Last thing that I found on my new Freedom Express when I opened the outdoor shower compartment the shower head was actually cracked where it connects to the hose. When I did my walkthrough at the dealership I bought from we didn't even open that compartment so I didn't discover that until a few weeks later. Take note to check EVERYTHING! Last advise I would give to someone considering this RV and any RV for that matter....Where you buy from matters! Make sure you chose a dealer that does a very thorough walkthrough and pre-delivery inspection with you. Make sure you check that everything works before you leave the lot. Happy Camping!
- CJ , Tennessee

2020-05-04 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS View Listings

We currently are going through a little bit of buyers remorse on our 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS. Specifically, we are frustrated with the poor design on the rear room slide out where the bunks are located. First, we have already had the actual rod piece under the unit replaced as it came bent causing the slide out not to slide into the unit correctly. Then due to the same issue (not sliding out correctly), the slide caught the sides of cheap wood fascia bending it in places, then fascia came off the wall. Just really poor design. We do like the speciousness of the camper and the fact that it is light weight, but be wary of pull trailers with multiple slides...
- Craig W, North Carolina

2020-04-30 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 297RLDS View Listings

297RKS....bought new within one year....air conditioner quit...fake fireplace quit...blackwater valve handle broke in closed position...roof membrane was cut too short causing leak in bedroom closet...bedroom slide leaked like a sieve...toilet leaked even after adding a wax ring...waited 5 weeks for new one to come in...will not buy forest river again
- Doris, Georgia

2020-03-10 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express FX26SO View Listings

This is the best RV I have ever owned. Drives great. It is easy for me (a female) to drive and set up. So easy. I love the privacy of the bedroom in the back. I love all the extras it has. I love everything about it really. Nothing negative to report at all.
- Alicia Shephard, Kentucky

2020-02-14 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE View Listings

Our family loved the space and the comfort of the Bunkhouse Freedom Express. Very good Trailer especially having all the space it did. We enjoyed the spacious dining table and the well-built 300 pound capacity bunk-beds were awesome! Loved everything about this trailer.
- John Espino, California

2020-01-05 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 19FBS View Listings

Love the size of this RV, perfect for towing with most vehicles. Tows great and the slide out gives you plenty of floor space to move around. It also has a full queen bed so regular queens sheets fit. Plenty of storage and full size refrigerator that you don’t see in many smaller RV’s not to mention a fire place and plenty of counter space. It also has a heated underbelly for fall and winter camping. Many pluses with this camper. We are also selling it with the hitch and sway bar set up.
- Laurene hutter, South Carolina

2019-12-21 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express 21QB View Listings

We have used RV for over 50 years and this unit has been the easiest to drive and live in. We have found that not having a slideout eliminates problems with the motor for the slide out as well as roof leakage during rain. The short 24 feet is easy to drive and the optional brake controller we installed for towing makes for an easy tow of a small car or trailer (max 5000 lbs). The RV sleeps 6 adults with all large beds. The rear storage compartment is huge and can hold bikes and other large items as well as the spare tire. The Chevy engine is very quiet and runs smooth and is very reliable. This RV was made during the time that RVs were inspected before leaving the factory. We have heard that after 2010 the building of Rvs were more rushed and final inspections had to be done at point of sale and the quality is only as good a the local dealer.
- Tord Hillerstrom, North Carolina

2019-11-06 2009 Coachmen Freedom Express 26SO View Listings

Fantastic Motorhome. Easy, Super Easy to drive. Just like driving a big pickup truck. Easy to park and maneuver. Private Bath and shower are great. Super easy to set up anywhere. I would recommend this RV to anyone.
- Alicia, Kentucky

2019-10-13 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 254DSX View Listings

You won’t find a cleaner, better maintained camper. We have enjoyed having the extra bed when needed yet it’s out of the way when not needed. The electric tongue jack and electric awning make setup a breeze. The 6 gallon hot water heater makes for a good hot shower. The LED lights under the step and along the awning eliminates the need to hang lights in order to have light. With the rounded front towing is easy.
- Kathy Boggs , South Carolina

2019-08-16 2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS View Listings

I need to rant‼️ So my 246 RKS has been in Indiana since July 25 th for warranty work too large for the dealer to undertake. I was told by Steve Brandenburg of Coachmen that they would need to drop the floor most likely. Ok, that’s fine (though the massive leaks shouldn’t have occurred in the first place). Now, 22 days later, I know very little about what’s being done, where they are in the process, etc. Perhaps a picture, an email...something! My calls have gone mostly unreturned by Steve, who is the FE representative. When he did call, I was told they had started and most likely could be done in a week and a half, which would have been today, but I, the owner, know nothing after trying to contact him since Wednesday. I get the feeling I cannot get off the phone fast enough for him. He doesn’t volunteer anything specific, and it’s an effort to extract anything from him. Email goes unanswered as well. I’m a reasonable guy, but geez! Perhaps there’s still a lot to do?? Perhaps it’s on it’s way back?? I have no idea what’s going on with my unit, and it’s frustrating, to say the least. Coachmen, at this point you have MY property, and my request is simply- let me know what’s going on. Most of us will look to upgrade at some point, and guess what... We don’t have to come back to you for your products. There’s plenty of others to go to. I don’t mind if the job is taking longer than anticipated, but as the customer, I feel like I am entitled to an update on my unit. -Rotted floor with black mold, rotted slide floor and rotted cabinet holding refrigerator. Horrible customer service and quality
- Christine , Florida

2019-08-05 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS View Listings

Amazing towability, great comfort, cold ac, large awning, fully loaded. Easy to hook up, digital led tv, indoor and outdoor speakers. Lots of LED lights..................................................
- Perte Gerdfunkle, Florida

2019-07-09 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS View Listings

Great RB and super light for towing with a small truck. Everything works great on these babies. Love the outside grill! Super coating for easy cleaning and less problems with mold and mildew in humid states.
- Perte Gerdfunkle, Florida

2019-05-07 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS View Listings

Absolutely loved having this as my temporary home. It was big enough to function like a normal house but cozy enough to keep me as a minimalist. Great quality and value. I couldn't ask for anything more.
- Tara Diaz , California

2019-01-04 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express 21QB View Listings

We really love this unit as a starter RV. In our two years of full timeing we have done and seen so many wonderful things with really no problems at all We just want a bigger unit because we want to settle down some and not travel as much But it really is a great RV for seeing the country.
- William , Texas

2018-11-19 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS View Listings

Super rear kitchen--lightweight-pulls great-large fresh water tank-all around wonderful RV-slide is perfect with large windows for mountain views-large window over kitchen table-ac works great as well as heater--super super !
- nick renfro, Colorado

2018-05-13 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 276RKDSLE View Listings

Bought the LE (Liberty Edition) because of the interior color selection and the solid surface upgrades. What we like: The layout and storage are light years ahead of all other 27 foot travel trailers. — full size queen, full width closet, lots of cabinet storage. Tows well with a quarter ton with a tow package. The interior LED lighting layout is very good. Nice Bluetooth on stereo. Pullout full length drawers under the dinette benches are great. Blackout pull down curtains are very useable. The ‘command post’ for the power jacks is very handy. What we don’t like: The couch folds out into a bed. It is not that confortable. It tilts toward the outside wall about 2-3 inches. Hard to make standard sheets fit - awkward. TV position is awkward in main cabin. - not many options so a fair compromise. The dinette cushions won’t stay upright (too much spaces behind). We had leaks under the sink - had to replace both 90 degree fittings. The dinette table is cheaper than it should be and it’s difficult to raise and lower. The storage access under the bed has no struts, so lifting it up requires some muscles. There two gray water tanks - 33 gallons each. Not connected, so you will need to figure out how to hook up to the single sanitary hose. Hint: a standard Y fitting will not work. Wish Coachman provided a solution. Overall, we got this camper to go on extended vacations with generally only 2 adults. This fits the bill better than any 27 foot travel trailer (length and weight).
- Sam Doak, Virginia

2018-05-02 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 231RBDS View Listings

Pulls well, full timed in it for a year without any problems whatsoever loved this camper!! We loved that we stayed warm or cool depending on where we were. A very comfortable layout to live in as well’
- Julie Krause, Ohio

2018-01-14 2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS View Listings

I recently purchased a (rarely used) 2011 295 RLDS and am now doing some maintenance and upgrades. My disappointment is the quality of work I found. First, someone in the factory put his/her knee through the forward mattress support. Instead of fixing the problem, they simply stapled another piece of the same material over it. Then,I took the Jensen radio out to replace a cable and found a large pile of sawdust/wood splinters, and a hole in the back wall of the radio enclosure that looked a rat chewed a hole in it (someone punched hole in it with a screwdriver). I have also found numerous screws that were clearly screwed in by a someone who had no pride in his/her work; odd angles, over-tightened/stripped. Also discovered that the insulation for the fridge cabinet had peeled of the walls, and was blocking the hot air flow (and heating up the adjoining pantry cabinet...a major project requiring a new vent. Finally, the galley under-counter drawers were very poorly installed; scrap lumber, missing screws and torqued drawer slides. The level of quality control is sloppy and simply unacceptable.
- Bob Schotman, Florida

2017-12-07 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 231RBDS View Listings

We love all of the hidden storage to help with a clean homey feel. Pulls great with the stabilizer package on it, never had one problem with it since owning it. We loved having it as our first rv we have owned!
- Julie Krause, Ohio

2017-07-21 2012 Coachmen Freedom Express 237RBS View Listings

We love the floor plan: large bathroom, lots of storage inside and out, big kitchen counter w/double sink, comfortable bed. Real oven that bakes great. The refrigerator is awesome and the freezer helps re-freeze our packets for any coolers we take along. The slide-out does NOT have to be extended to move around in the trailer: you can still eat at the table. The bed is a walk-around for easy access. Perfect for a couple or up to 4 people for sleeping. Tows great, electric tongue jack and stabilizers make an easy setup or can be used manually. I have recommended this trailer to other friends.
- Gary Kalow, Colorado

2017-07-19 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 276RKDS View Listings

We purchased our trailer one year ago and have had three months of camping in it. We like the layout. It offers a lot of cabinet and wardrobe space compared to many models we looked at. It tows well and looks nice. On our first trip the awning did not retract. Had to play with the switch to get it to work and kept being a problem. Second trip out the refrigerator could not keep up with the heat. This also has been a recurring problem. The dealer has looked at both issues on multiple occasions and have not been able to correct them. The fold out couch has a 3" difference from one cushion to another when opened making it only good for small kids to sleep on. We have had a leak in the coach and they were able to repair it. We had the plumbing under the kitchen sink spring a leak. We have had the furnace fail on our last trip this spring. Some other small issues such as loose panels and sharp edges on the bed platform. Overall: We like the idea. This trailer is laid out for our camping experience, but find the constant problems make it not worth the $26,000.00 price tag. I would not recommend this manufacturer to anyone.
- David Lauer, Wisconsin

2017-07-15 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express 31SS View Listings

We love this rv. It handled very well. Before we got it, I wouldn't even drive my car on the interstate because the traffic scared me. But this was so fun to drive, before the end of the first summer I was driving on the interstate in this rv. I even pulled our boat or towed our car and went off by myself! This rv was so easy to setup. I would take it and get to the campground, get it all setup myself (including levelling) and then my husband would show up when he got off work and all he had to do was sit down and open his beer! He had it good for sure. We hated to sell it, but life happens and we just couldn't get away like we used to. We feel the Coachmens are very well built and would highly recommend this rv.
- Jane Phillips, Ohio