Coachmen Clipper RVs Reviews (13)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Clipper RVs Reviews and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of these RVs.

C. Alexander Baker from Texas says:

Have you owned any Coachmen Clipper RVs? Write a review

Voted Most Helpful Review 2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH View Listings

We have owned a 2016 CC 17BH since November of 2015. After 15 months we've taken 4 trips; the first was 1800 miles round trip. So far it's been a great value since we got it for $10,000 brand new including TTL. Like other owners, I can attest to the build quality leaving something to be desired. The finishing looks rushed and storage area under the main bed are not "finished out" as you might expect and in a way I can't imagine how much more time it would have taken to ensure that screws were run straight and the quality control is certainly something that could be improved. One interior speaker seems to have been hastily installed and I had to take it out and adjust the connection in order to ensure it no longer cut in and out.. We haven't experienced any major functionality issues with plumbing or electrical barring a blown fuse in the battery connection once a year ago, but the thing is for the price I have made an effort to start learning as much as I can about maintenance and repair on travel trailers.. Lots of WD-40 and careful attention to joints and seals. Wash the rubber roof every 3 months and take care of it like it's your baby.. I understand that these coaches are put together very quickly and may lack the higher level finishing of a Mini Winnie or other, more expensive coaches but we're talking about half the price of a Mini Winnie also.. give and take in many respects. My feelings are that this is an exceptional value for a first time camper for a small family (4 or less) on a budget that has decided to make the commitment of a TT purchase and have at least a 3,500 lb. towing capacity vehicle.. that particular point being said, I would NOT recommend towing with anything less than a half-ton truck for safety-sake. Short wheel base (SWB) vehicles are not as capable at maintaining positive control even with a WD hitch.. lack of adequate HP and torque will also result in very slow highway speeds and heavy load on the transmission especially in high head winds. Even with it's 2,800+ dry weight make sure if you go this route you have at least a 300HP vehicle.. Finally, let me say that in the world of TT's you'll always get more value if you take ownership of the maintenance and upkeep. The CC 17BH might be low-end, but the floor plan is well thought out and there are some nice features that are well and above the new Cadet series that Coachmen is pushing these days..
- C. Alexander Baker, Texas

2019-08-04 2019 Coachmen Clipper 17FQS View Listings

We owned a 24 ft Springdale and decided to downsize mostly because of weight and I don't want a 30 or 40 ft trailer behind me as we have a lot of hills in our area so we bought the Clipper. The first thing I had to deal with was the lack of storage space for food, utensils and other day to day stuff. I purchased a small over the toilet vanity that is 23" wide and 7" deep. Added a few shelves to the lower section and it fits neatly between the back wall and slide. Next I bought a sheet of 1/2 plywood and made drawers to fit under the sink. Have one for cutlery, one dishcloths and towels and a third for other utensils and such. Under the stove I put in two sliding drawers 12x24" that we use for extra food and such. Under the seats the storage areas I divided in half and at the end of each seat I put in doors for even more storage. We store our pots and pans and plates and bowls and other items in those. Since it's only the two of us I removed the table and replaced it with a pedestal style that's only half the size. I made a padded seat to fit across the back and now have a U shaped area that's great when you want to put your feet up. Sure wish Coachman had thought about these things in their design stage. I wish I could add photos here to see how great all these additions look.
- Ron Webb, Newfoundland and Labrador

2019-06-20 2018 Coachmen Clipper 17BH View Listings

Have had mine Clipper for a little over 2 years now. We bought in March of 2017 and got a just came out 2018 model. We go camping about every 2 months during the school year and about every 2 weeks during school break. This camper is so easy to pull with our F150. We have had as many as 3 kids and 2 adults in it and we all sleep great. Pack blankets even in the summer. The ac will freeze you out if you dont.
- Kay, Texas

2019-05-10 2011 Coachmen Clipper 109 View Listings

Great camper! Compact but A LOT of storage. I looked for a long time for a camper w/ AC, heat, fridge, sink and stove for our family. Purchased out of state because they are hard to find. I also wanted a camper that was easy enough for me (a mom) to be able to tow, set up and break down w/o the hubs and just the kids and this is perfect! Small enough to be able to store indoors (garage).
- Graham Crackers, Illinois

2019-03-30 2019 Coachmen Clipper 17BH View Listings

We’ve had our 17BH for a year of heavy use. The folks at Beckley’s have taken good care of us. Only issues so far are a cracked shower surround and a pass through storage door out of alignment. Both issues being addressed before the warranty is up. Trailer was clean from the factory. No shavings or plumbing issues with loose connections. The roof is holding up well and it pulls nicely with our AWD Sorento. The livability is fine but cramped with a family of four but, it’s a 17’ box. What do you expect? They layout is the best use of space I’ve seen for the price, including the 1700BH Winnie. It’s got a ton of storage which is great, but you have to watch the weight because it has about 800 pounds of carrying capacity. The bunk door is nice so you can load a lot of gear in the bunk area after flipping the bottom bunk up. I have put generators, bikes, grill, and screen room in this and it fits nicely. Materials are low quality, especially the countertops. You have to watch out for water getting in the cracks and expanding the material. Again, it’s an entry level RV, so you have to expect that. The cabinets are good and the struts work well. The radio is fine, but the speakers are not much to speak of. You can stream Bluetooth, so that’s a plus. The floor is a nice vinyl so cleaning is easy with a dust pan and broom. We put a foam topper on the mattress because it is a typical RV mattress. The bunk mattresses are a decent thickness though. The fridge is two way and is small, but it works well for us. The frame and tanks are a big plus. We stay out a couple of days in state parks with electric only and we are fine and the over engineered frame is solid. The AC is overpowered for the unit and loud, but man, you can hang meat in the rv after a few minutes. No hot summer issues. Windows are fine and operate well as well as the shades. The kitchen all works fine. Hot water heater is basic and after a few minutes the water is ready for a shower. You have to take army showers though because the tank is only 6 gallons. It heats up again pretty well, but not a luxury system. The gauges are pretty accurate, but clean your black tank after a couple of dumps. I wish the dump values were higher so that they avoid getting hit and have better flow. All things considered, this camper is a great value and fit for a starter RV under 3500 lbs.
- Damon Dye, Maryland

2018-09-11 2018 Coachmen Clipper 17BHS View Listings

Very poor craftsmanship. After i got home from the dealership an electrical plug had fell out,the rear diamond plating was loose. After 2 weeks the propane tank was rusting thru the paint. Poor service @ affordable truck and rv in grants pass, Oregon. Returned to service over several issues and some were fixed, Kitchen drain leaks,plug came out again,wanted a new propane tank (2018 trailer, 2016 tank) awning was not installed even and has wrinkles,screen door is crooked, a piece of wood that is a filler fell out and was never gone over or cleaned by Affordable t & rv. Metal shavings everywhere even under the mattress
- Jonathan woods, Oregon

2018-05-04 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ View Listings

We loved to camp with our Clipper! Especially for 2 people. Inside when needed enough room to sit. To be able to go into the bed on 2 sides is a big advantage. Easy towing, light weight.Bike rack on front. Easy parking.
- Francien, Ontario

2017-10-29 2003 Coachmen Clipper 128ST View Listings

I bought this trailer (sport plus 128)used from the first owner. Its a 12' foul dinette model. The floor plan was exactly what I wanted, for being 14 years old its in great shape. All original, everything works as the day it was new. No signs of any leaks at all. It had A/C installed by dealer when new. I contacted the factory about some questions I had, even though ownership has changed I talked to a guy who works there for last 30+ years and he took the to to answer all my questions even though it's used and way beyond warranty. I'd buy another one again. Its a heavy trailer, but I knew that going in. I tow with a 3/4 ton trying and it has no issues. Easy to set up, clean and maintain.
- Greg Barr, Ontario

2017-10-25 2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH View Listings

Bought new in Nov of 2015 have taken about 8 trips of more than 5 days each. No boondocking yet, however continue to work toward enhancing the coach for that purpose. Pulled with a 2004 Jeep Liberty for the first year and it actually surprised us by handling the trailer well despite being a bit too underpowered for hills and more than 60 on the highway. Anywho, towing with a 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L now and its like there's nothing behind us. Ok, so first I will say that at around $10,000 for this coach, you can't expect highest level build quality, yet despite this it's fairly well put together. This is our first coach, so we took a year to decide what we wanted to get and this was the end result. A lot for the money when compared to other trailers in this class/price range. _______________________________________________ THE GOOD: 13,500 BTU A/C is a MONSTER. During 100+ degree days, still kept the coach at a nice 72 degrees when on full blast. Floorplan is thoughtfully designed for the space. Bottom bunk folds up for more storage. Lots of storage cabinets Lots of outlets Respectable water tank sizes / fresh, gray and black Space for mounting a swivel mount for TV on side of cabinet Space under top cabinets for DVD mounting without giving up vertical space underneath Counter space in general is limited, but for this size of trailer meets expectations Bed lifts up for interior storage access of pass-thru Pass-thru offers generous storage space Rear exterior "hobbit door" is very handy for access to under bunk storage.. a real PLUS Rear bumper supports spare tire as well as storage tray with hitch receiver nicely Like the fact that it has a full bed, a dinette that collapses to make a single, plus the two bunks. You can sleep 5 in this thing if you had to although not recommended.. this ain't no 5th wheeler, boy! Wheels and tires are nice. Rims are like those mag wheels from back in the day and tires are 15", not 13" which is nice. Hauls well. I've been in 65 MPH gusts and she stays right where she is (with WDH and SC of course) _______________________________________________ THE "MEH" Fit and finish is nothing to get excited about but for this price range top quality truly cannot be expected Windows only slide left or right which means you only get one side of the window that opens to the air outside, should have made them outward tilting to allow for more ventilation like in other coaches.. wouldn't have cost any more money.. BASICS, BRO! Floor creaks in some places Awning is manually operated; screws can fall out of brackets occasionally and are not well designed. Had to clear-caulk the shower surround at the tub joints separations to seal from potential water absorption Takes two 1800 R/W generators to run the A/C even after start up. Limited options for inverter and supplemental outlet placement without running cable across the floor and up a wall. Limited to area under bed in front and pass-thru space is diminished as a result. Bathroom vent could have been more substantial.. it's like this tiny 4" fan attached to a motor and exposed.. vent area opens to 75 degree angle so at least that, but air movement is a joke. Only fan in the coach, so. SAD! Build quality means more maintenance on small things like loose or poorly fitted screws Rubber roof requires higher maintenance with clear caulking seal requirement and regular scrubbing clean of black-residue build up that happens over time. Screw on rear jack under-carriage mounting surface broke within 2 months despite only dropping jack a handful of times prior. _________________________________________________ THE BAD: Positioning of the LP line means that you have to remove and somehow re-position in order to allow space for a second battery. I have not done this, but it looks like a real pain in the ass and poorly designed since there is clearly more room for two batteries to be kept next to each other without the LP line placed where it is. LAZY! SAD! Only room for ONE LP tank as positioning two side by side is not possible how designed. Coach was clearly not made to carry more than one based on the bracket placement and location behind the crank. At least a 30 gallon can fit in the same footprint as a 20, but still would have been nice to have the option of TWO LP tanks, but alas NOT TO BE WITHOUT WELDING/BRACKET MODIFICATION. Interior stereo speakers are crap and build quality limitations mean? You guessed it, a required upgrade and as a plus (minus) one speaker was cutting in and out the day we bought it due to as as yet unidentified short somewhere in the speaker wire.. SAD! _________________________________________________ FINAL WORD: Coach is a 8/10 for me and a 9/10 overall for bang for your buck in my opinion. I only deduct one point on my own experience due to extensive expectations, but that's just me. For a first time owner coach this is a great introduction that will serve your "small" family or just a couple well. It tows well, is light at only 2800lbs. Perfect for a quick weekend getaway and has ample storage, access and is a good deal. NEVER PAY MORE THAN $10,550 for this coach. I worked for a year to get a deal I wanted and this is the price I paid. Don't let them try and get you for any more than that. Also, don't let a dealer convince you that ANY trailer is "mini-van" towable.. it's horsesh**. You need a half-ton to tow this comfortably and although I towed with a SWB Jeep Liberty for a year, I would NOT recommend it due to the limitations of the 210HP engine which meant more transmission strain on hills and headwinds and certainly a loss of usable power to pull. I never got above 63 with the pedal all the way down on a flat straight-away. Sure if your vehicle is rated at 3,500 or even 5,000lbs. you COULD tow it, but remember just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.
- TOOTHLESS TEXAN, Texas

2017-05-17 2014 Coachmen Clipper 16FB View Listings

This impressed me at first sight as a very good trailer. It had everything I wanted or needed in a camper. I upgraded from a pop up. I'm an amateur radio operator an will be installing radio antenna cabling. I camped the first time at a local state park to test the camper out and all went well. My second trip was about 250 miles. On this trip the toilet water valve leaked from a crack caused by water freezing and expanding in the flow valve. Overall, the toilet was the cheapest made by its' manufacturer. At the same time the kitchen sink faucet sprayed water all over. A red plastic flanged washer had split were the pipe connects to the top of its base. The dealer replaced it. The camper sat in the driveway a few months until my next trip. Preparing for the trip I hooked up electric and water. The same faucet washer split. I believe this should be made of neoprene instead of a hard plastic. These are the only problems I've had. In my opinion these problems could be resolved by the manufacturer installing higher quality fixtures I do like and am enjoying the Clipper.
- Richard, Maryland

2016-09-08 2015 Coachmen Clipper 16FB View Listings

We have owned our Clipper for about six months and love, love, love it. We have put about 6000 miles on it and it is very easy to pull and maneuver. We cannot believe how much storage it has for the size, and we looked at a lot of campers before buying this one. My Dodge Ram 1500 has no trouble pulling it. I did put a sway bar on it to pull it since it only has one axle but it works great. After visiting a lot of mountains and backwoods places, we are really glad we went with this one instead of something bigger. It has everything we need for two people.
- Rick Gullett, Texas

2015-10-17 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17BH View Listings

My wife and I had ours for 6 months. Great camper for the price. Pulls great. How ever, the main drains to me set to low to the ground so if your backing up to your driveway and you have a curb to run over you could scratch the drains or damage them. Being a single axle it bounces and moves easy when you run over a curb. I was very disappointed when I found out that there is no 1/4 in plywood for strength on the outside of the camper were the framing was. Just the wood frame and the black paper then the aluminum paneling. Cheaply mad. But for the size best layout and more standard options than any camper for that size and price. We had it for 6 months and now we're trading it in for a rockwood mini lite. Build quality I'd give it a 2 out of 10. Storage id give it a 10 out of 10. Best storage for a small camper anywhere. We don't have kids but too he bunks came in handy for more storage. And the extra back door was very nice. Size wise I'd give it a 4 out of 10. Well it could be worse lol. You get what you pay for. But I've owned 3 campers in 1 year for the last 4 years so I've had them all. 5th wheel truck camper big 35ft bumper pull. So over all I would rate the clipper a 5 out of 10
- Chris, Arkansas

2015-07-08 2015 Coachmen Clipper 14R View Listings

For a small trailer one gets a lot of bang for their bucks. Perhaps small for 2 unless they are "in love" but for a single.....#1. Bath is a little tight, bed cushions need a little help with a cut memory foam for added comfort. Easy to tow with my 2015 Ram 1500 and easy to get around. I replaced the tongue hitch with a Quickbite. Factory tongue hitch was out of round and difficult to unhitch. I have had Coleman, Puma, and other brands. The Clipper is a better buy. For camping and traveling....its beats a motel everyday!
- Stephen Tyrrell, Kansas