Coachmen Chaparral Reviews on RV Insider (27)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with Coachmen Chaparral RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Robby Thrasher from Texas says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2012 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS View Listings

It's our first RV. We've spent over 40 nights in it so far, tow it with a Toyota Tundra and really like it. It's 6940 lb dry weight and 29' length made it easy to tow and park. It is hard to tow at 75 mph in a hard wind but will do about 68 mph just fine. Little or no wind it pulls 75 easy. For 2 people the RLS floor plan is perfect. The room at the end of the bed is nice too. We also love the separate toilet room, wouldn't want an RV without it. The shower has plenty of head room, not cramped at all. I wish the air conditioner was quieter but I think it's noise level is average for RVs. It's 5 years old now and most everything works fine. One drawer lost its slide track which is an easy fix with bigger screws and glue. It has a winter package and is nice and warm on cold night nights in the mountains. It's a good length 5th wheel for most any park. That helps when parks are busy or in older state parks with smaller spaces. I do want to add power leveling jacks in the back for easier set up and leveling. The Awning is Manuel but it's easy to roll out and set up.
- Robby Thrasher, Texas

2020-06-21 2017 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

We purchased this rv because the second bedroom was perfect for when our two older daughters join us. They have their own room to sleep and store all their belongings. The living area is set up like a lot of other campers with the theater chairs and hab sofa. It's very comfortable to relax in. The residential refrigerator in the kitchen is nice to have though we have never filled it completely. The larger bathroom and shower makes using it with no problems. The king size bed in the bedroom is our first and we'll never go back to any thing small. There is ample storage space for all our things plus some. Outside storage is good as well, but the outdoor kitchen is not very functional. It has a sink and fridge but it's not easy to access. There is a spot to hang a tv but you'll have to manually load and unload on each trip. The 16ft awning provides plenty of shaded area and being electric with lights is a plus. Towing has not been too difficult. The challenge is the length of the camper at almost 42ft it can be a challenge getting in and out of sites, gas stations,and making sharp turns. You have to be aware of the 6pt. leveling jacks that can be damaged going over dips,rises and railroad tracks. We've enjoyed the rv but when we retire and can travel more we will probably downsize. I can see some challenges trying to pull this size rv on long trips
- Gary Hanna, South Carolina

2020-05-26 2017 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB View Listings

I found one more expensive in new Braunfels tx but, this one is in better conditions. It's missing variety of blinds, carpet and appears tio have haff water damage. I also noticed damaged seals on the slides and water marks on the walls and mouldings. I wad approved today and I am giving 3k down but just need to take mine in for trade in, so the deal is not closed yet!!!
- Salvador lopez jr, Texas

2020-05-24 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 371MBRB View Listings

Nice looking RV, comfortable but is extremely poorly built, we've had nothing but problems since purchasing this home way from home.Sent it back for warranty work because the chassis was flexing enough to cause the front bedroom closet wall to pull away from its framing. They supposedly fixed it but it continues to do the same thing. A very large investment like this for a hard working, middle class American with a large family looking to have some fun with their family shouldnt have to worry after their purchase on something like this. I've had so many issues with this thing I could write a book, but we have no choice but to use it due to the contract we signed. Don't ever do business with this company because they don't stand behind their product nor do they care about personal safety or if their Lippert Chassis may have issues. They are just out to make money and don't care about their customers after they sign the contract to be paid. I wish I never sold my Keystone RV I had before this thing, even though I love the room in this one.
- Todd Davis, New Hampshire

2020-05-16 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

Winter Texan Had to redo the heating system (from the factory thermostat set at 70, 85 bedroom temp, 65 basement, 52 living area 42deg. outside temp) plugged and improper sized duct. Factory said to take it to dealer. dealer told us we had to leave it with them and we would not rec. it back for 6 weeks.(not and option self fixed problem 3 60 to 80 yr. old's got it done). Just before the 1yr. warrantee was over dealer had to do nearly $5000 in factory covered repairs a plus for them. Seal under kitchen slide was terrible replaced with a Trippel seal self pay at 1 1/2 years really helped heating cost. At 2yrs. I had to replace the floor in bed slid bottom trim was not properly sealed at factory. When doing so found bottom of slide was 1/4" higher on one end? and 0 insulation in slide floor.
- tomwagner1951, Minnesota

2020-04-28 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 381RD View Listings

I have owned my Coachmen Chaperral 381RD for a little over 10 months now. I have taken it across the country to California for work. When I made it to CA i went over the rig to make sure there wasn’t any issues, and have found about five issues. I called coachmen and they said find a dealer near you get it down there and we will get these issues resolved. I found a amazing dealer and told them the issues he said bring it down will get pictures of it and send them in to get approved so after everything was approved i took it back down to get it fixed, i told them i was staying in it full time and he said no problem we will it done right away. He called me the day after, since one of the issues was the back wall had a leak, he said he would like to keep it over the weekend let it dry out before replacing the wood and sealing it back up. Turned out the window didn’t have a good seal. Other issues were the inverter for the residential frig would not switch to shore power, the control bored for the LP side of the hot water heater did not work, some trim on the outside of the slide out pulled away, a small water leak on the drain of the shower, and the furnace not staying on which the last two i fixed myself because they couldn’t wait. Other then that I’ve had some trim come off, and the pantry shelf sag from to much weight which was a easy fix. Now the good things about the 381RD is it has a very residential feel with a large living room, a large kitchen with plenty of countertop space and a massive pantry, the bathroom is a good size with plenty of room in the shower, the bedroom has a good bit of room with washer/dryers prep and it did come with a king size bed that i removed and cut down the plywood to fit a queen, definitely made a big difference for room to walk around the bed. Also the two coaches in the living room fold out into beds allowing about six people to sleep comfortably. This rig does come with four barstools that do look nice but they do fall apart. I love the coachmen product would like to see a better PDI but I would purchase another one.
- James McKenna, Maryland

2020-04-27 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

Great RV! Perfect for living in or just camping with plenty of room for a big family and your kids friends. Has lots of the comforts of home such as the recliners, fireplace, large shower, and full size fridge.
- Chris, Oklahoma

2019-11-18 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 285RLS View Listings

We downsized from a 43 ft toyhauler...more is not better! Love this 33ft and pulls great being Lite. Also love auto level(not many this size have the option)! Had to special order dining booth because comes standard table/chairs & we needed the extra bed. Also like our theater loveseat without middle section & cupholders so it does double as an extra sleeping space if needed!!
- Janet smith, South Carolina

2019-10-20 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS View Listings

We traded our 2011 rockwood for a chaparral Coachman light. And it was the worst mistake we made. It has been in the shop more than what we have used it. I’ve had it only three months and now the air conditioner in the back burned out. And other cosmetic things have been happened. Water leaks in the bathroom sick and shower. I would NOT recommend this kind of trailer. I should have stayed with my old trailer. It was better made than the bran new one. Smdh
- Isabel braune, Texas

2019-09-09 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS View Listings

We purchased our 2019 chaparral 298RL in April, we have taken it out on 5 trips do far. We have had no troubles so far. We are towing it with a F-250, it tows smoothly, much nicer then our travel trailer did. We purchased it to spend this winter in Florida. We love the way it is laid out inside too. We would recommend this camper.
- Jackie Seal, Michigan

2019-08-30 2020 Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL View Listings

Pros: great looking RV. plenty of space for a family of 5 that fulltime rv. decent interior, modest and neutral. appliance are of good quality and seem durable. Cons: The under storage space has a wall that I took apart and gained more room for storage. the quality control NEVER looked at the heater due to a vent hose that was broken (ripped) at the heater fitting. window shades are less than durable-most of the screws have been pulled out from the wall. The kitchen island was installed crooked. and why can you not install the door with closures in the hinges. all in all, we do like this rv, as full timers, it fits our needs. We will be replacing the blinds with curtains and small fixes here and there.
- Daniel , Texas

2019-08-22 2015 Coachmen Chaparral 324TSRK View Listings

This trailer is roomy and lots of storage, everything works properly, no problems camping for 3 days with the storage tanks. We carry a portable tank to empty when there are no hook-ups. Love the beauty of the inside, double-sinks in the kitchen easy to wash & rinse, the shower is roomy, and the bed is comfortable. I haven't tried the electric fireplace this summer but I like it has one. If I needed I would install a washer & dryer. Since I don't live in it, I don't need one.
- Bonnie Lewis, Texas

2019-08-05 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 373MBRB View Listings

Flotsam we thought would be great But WE HATE IT! It has back bedroom with full bath plus bunkroom and master bedroom,HOWEVER, NO PLACE FOR OTHER OCCUPANTS TO SIT.It only has a reclining love seat and you can't rotate tv so if someone sat at dinner table they could see. Horrible manufacturing quality, skylight screws won't secure because they just drilled in without anchors, I have no heat coming from floor vents in back bedroom, main bathroom shower doors won't close all the way and we have had to replace shower drain fittings already, bathroom vent cover has dry rotted and severely cracked so had to replace. Floor/wall trim does not fit flush to floor, cabinet trim has needed to be secured. Kitchen sink drain has needed to be resealed. All listed repairs were done within 6 months of owning,brand new unit. Looking to trade in and take the negative equity. Not sure about factory support because we are full timers who travel for work in desolate areas with our 4 year old so leaving it in a shop for a few months is not an option.
- Ronnette L, Texas

2019-07-01 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

For 6 months my rv has had manufacture defects that Forest River will not repair. These issures are water leaks, electrical issues, underbelly and more.NEVER buy from people who do not service their product. This company could change the unit out but instead they continue ro put band-aids on everything. Not sure if its because Im a woman or if they are doing this because my husband is Iraq 9 monts out of the year. Whatever their reason, its inexplicable.
- Donna Blackwell, Alabama

2019-06-30 2012 Coachmen Chaparral 286RKS View Listings

I purchased this 5th wheel from GA RV Sales in Emerson GA., for $15,000. My husband and I checked every cupboard, closet, nook n cranny. When deliver to us, the spare tire was removed, a hole in the back wall from the rear recliners, to find the WHOLE back side had to be replaced, floor to ceiling. I do not recommend this dealership. I hope RVT will not take anymore of their ads. Another RV on the lot a 2002 Open Road has slide out damage, really bad. They sold it in a week knowing it was faulty but not telling the buyer.
- Barbara Marx, Georgia

2019-06-14 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

We purchased the RV Mr. Cole rated. I have to agree with him, it is a lovely unit to live in or vacation in. We did have an issue with the mid-leveling not coming down but are having it looked at. The trailer is steady even with just a 4 point system. The only thing we did not like was the clear shower glass, so I purchased some window film, cut it to size and with just water attached it to the shower doors so they are no longer see thru. Very, very happy with our purchase. Highly recommend if you are looking for mid-range with upper range features. We tow ours with a Ford F250 6.7 liter diesel. Has no trouble pulling or stopping.
- Michell Henderson, California

2019-05-28 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

My husband and I had to purchase a unit because of a leased home that was filled with toxic mold that started shutting my organs down. My husband is a Veteran and is now working in Iraq for the Embassy. We purchased in Dec. 2018 and have had nothing but problems. We have never owned or even been in a 5th wheel and it was a hurry up and find a place within 48 hours. It was bad enough what we were going thru but to sell us a lemon unit that they did not stand by is horrific. It had a propane leak inside the unit and was pushing propane directly into the bedroom. The lights outside didn't work and the belly of the unit was leaking water. I sent a video to the dealer and Forest River and while I was in the hospital for treatments I pd 500.00 to have the unit returned and fixed. They jerryrigged the belly and they didn't even fix what was wrong. Now the unit has an electrical short and so Forest river sent one of their techs out and he said "take this unit back to the dealer, it dangerous". They didnt like that so wanted to send another. NO FOREST RIVER!!!! you don't get to play with my life. I'm disgusted by Chaparral, Coachman and Forest River. How can they sleep at night with how they treat customers. DO NOT BY FROM THESE PEOPLE. They sell a cheap product and dont stand behind it. Shame on you!!!!!!!
- Donna, Alabama

2019-05-20 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

We have loved this fifth wheel. The floor plan is great for our family. We used it to live in for a couple months and it was great. Good quality materials that hold up well with children. We haven’t had any problems with it to have to even use the warranty.
- Christy, Oklahoma

2019-05-18 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295IKS View Listings

My coachmen chaparral has been nothing but a reliable camper never had a problem with it as far a towing or anything I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a fifth wheel camper it very enjoyable
- Rlob, New Jersey

2019-03-16 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS View Listings

I traded in my travel trailer and upgraded to a 5th wheel since I got a new truck & purchased my 2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS. I thought that I would really enjoy this model because of its compact layout that I could find- non bunk house- under 38ft in length. My first impression was it's awesome! However, after taking it out on my VERY FIRST camping trip last night, I had my slide out fail. It went out of alignment and had leaked water all inside of my unit. Now I have to go all the way back to my dealership to take in to MAYBE be covered under warranty work. If Coachmen didn't cheap out and used Schwintek slide out gears I was told I would have never had this issue! Now I'm noticing that the sealant around the windows has not been inspected and might leak as well. There are SEVERAL screws missing from the frame. I didn't do enough research about coachmen before hand and since I've encountered these issues, I see that it's apparent I should have listened to my neighbor who told me to only buy a Jayco.... I made an impulsive decision and now it looks like I'm going to be paying the price for it... I highly suggest taking a look at these other owners that also bought new and had similar coachmen issues. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/coachmen_rv.html?#sort=helpful&filter=none
- Cory Proctor, Virginia

2018-12-11 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 371MBRB View Listings

I love this RV. The floor plan is perfect with any family style or travel plans! The spacious layout is perfect for a full time family, or weekend travel warriors! This RV has been a blessing for our family. Never been closer, and still had space to be able to live full time! This price is a steal!
- KELLY, Texas

2018-12-05 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 391QSMB View Listings

One of the most thoughtfully laid out floor plans your will find especially if you or your spouse is a big and tall person. I am 6'4 275 lbs. this is the first RV that didn't make me duck everywhere I walked. The ability to hook up and go is a breeze and the setup and tear down is faster than anything I've seen. This RV lets you enjoy your time rather than fight your RV the whole time.
- Patrick Files, Texas

2018-10-29 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

I purchase this RV to live in while my house was being built. It has plenty of room for someone to live in for long periods of time. It has washer/dryer hookup, a king size bed and full size refrigerator and many other options
- John Cole, South Carolina

2018-10-24 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

This is our first RV (trailer, 5th wheel, etc) we were quite unsure of what to expect and researched a lot based on our needs and budget... Finally found a year model, just out of an auction because of a small fire on board, having very little to repair we took it for almost 1/3 of MSRP... An excellent trailer, the layout is great and works nice, spacious trunk and space can be almost doubled after very few (and easy) mods, watertight and we have been experiencing a LOT of rain lately. Again, because it's our first, among many more things we can't compare insulation and many other features, the temperature has been around 40's, furnace is keeping it nice and warm but goes down quickly after we turn it off... THE BIG complaint I have it's the finishing touches... They are terrible! The manufacturer could spend very few more time and attention to a few details and it would make a lot better... There are wire strips, zip ties, adhesive tape, screws, nails, trimmings and shaves of all kinds littering every crack crevice and under everything. Most of the screws already stripped or poorly screwed in (crooked or half-way in, or both together), even a miswired in-wall usb charger... In general, we are happy with the rig and in a future purchase, we might consider the brand again...
- Luis Ramos, New York

2018-08-26 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 336TSIK View Listings

We have enjoyed the reliability, quality, comfort, and looks of this unit. Easy to tow and maneuver with a 2500 truck...perfect size, while not too big and def not too small. It has all the comforts of home, island kitchen, ceiling fan, fireplace, 2 TVs, theater seating, king bed, large residential shower, 2 AC units, just to name a few...just a great camper.
- Henry Planas, Florida