2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite Class C Reviews on RV Insider (24)

Read about the experiences consumers and owners have had with 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite Class C RVs and view their reviews and ratings on various aspects of them.

Bonnie R. from Washington says:

Voted Most Helpful Review 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

We bought this motorhome brand new off the lot from dealerin Burlington, WA. We are on our first trip and as soon as it rained, water poured from around the closed vent near the stove & soaked the floor around the seating area and ran down toward the cab. Finally stopped raining & all was well while it wasn’t raining. Came back into Wash with a downpour and water gushed in from under the seating area only. 5 large swim towels later & it is still coming out. Very disappointed in the quality. Thought Thor would be a good choice. Handles well & everything else is working but this horrible leak has us terrified & the horror stories about Thor warranty work isn’t helping.
- Bonnie R., Washington

2021-01-17 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

For an entry level RV this unit does very well. Handling down the road is car like and it pulls a trailer loaded with a Gator with ease.Fuel economy with the Mercedes diesel is in the 13/14 mpg and will run all day on interstate. The well planned out interior is very livable and I'd recommend it to the couple or small family looking to get away.
- Richard Wheat, Virginia

2021-01-04 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Handles like a SUV on the highway. Low end torque is better than the big Ford engines on our previous motor homes. And it comes with GPS and n incredible stereo system. Gas economy is 2 1/2 times better than my gas motor home! The induction cooktop and LED lighting make dry camping possible because it does not tax the batteries like older motor homes.
- Joanne Powell, Arizona

2020-12-09 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

I have had this coach for 3 plus years and cannot complain too much. The only major issue I had was the auto step was wired wrong and quit working but resolved by the local RV shop. Camping World had it for two weeks and when I git home still wouldn’t work, Other than the shoddy workmanship and intermittent hot water I have many good trips problem free. Keep a bottle of Elmer’s Glue handy and a tool kit. The cab and chassis have been excellent. 20 K miles. Tow a Mini Cooper and average @ 14 MPG
- Pete Albanese, California

2020-09-03 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

When I picked it up they were working on the generator and could not get it working. Camping World told me to call for appointment tomorrow and bring it back. I called back and was told they don’t work on generators. First time camping no hot water, slides leaked. It was in being repair most the first season. Several other thing needed repair. Never got sides fixed. Traded this lemon and got other Thor and in has been in the repair shop more than I used it. Still waiting on parts (7 months). I will never buy a Thor product again.
- Gerald Barnes, Ohio

2020-07-17 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Personally, I will never buy another Thor Motorhome. Within 30 days the countertop started to come apart. I leaned against the drop down side table next to the stove and the hinge crumpled and the table fell off. I securely fastened an oak plank roughly the size of the original table to the cabinet. I replaced the table with a second oak plank and securing it using hinges that are rated to hold 150 lbs. This table seems way more secure than the original table. I had a similar experience with the dinner table. Sporadically the table would come unhooked and collapse. At one point when the table fell the screws were pulled out of the table. Once again I securely fastened an oak plank to the table using a number of screws and glue. I installed a latch to the table to keep it from collapsing again. The air conditioner didn’t work very well right from the start. It barely cooled down the coach. I saw a video on how some manufacturers don’t properly install their AC units. I checked my AC unit and found that it was not properly installed. I implemented the suggested repairs and the air conditioner started working considerably better. However, the unit still doesn’t seem to move enough air through the ducting to cool the unit when the outside temp reached about 85 or so degrees. The large screen TV came with a few pixels that didn’t work. I put the RV in an RV park for about six to ten months. At some point during that time the radio and backup camera stopped working. Another thing that disappoints me is that several of the cabinets seems to have been made using scrap wood and are put in any way they can. I can come up with a few more disappointments, but I am sure you get why I would never neither buy nor recommend a Thor RV.
- Michael Hulsey, Texas

2020-07-05 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

The sprinter chassis is great but the tge Thor coach is built like garbage. Examples. My niece put her 25lb back pack on the dining table and the table came off the wall. The AC was not cooling and ceiling was opened the ducts were not connected. The rear camera was not wired to the right connection so not working. Underneath many wires hanging down with many left over dead wires to what on a new vehicle?? Kitchen sink now leaking from inside the floor. Gasket between fllir and chassis not placed to work. Most hanging out. These people hate their jobs or Thor itself. Had 1 year warranty but took it in twice which took 7 months waiting off of it. Thor and Camping World are terrible
- Raymond Chladny, Florida

2020-06-10 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

We purchased our 26HE at year end 2018. Got a great price ! What a great floorplan! We love it. The Positives - Great appearance , spacious bathroom, queen size bed, refrigerator/freezer, ducted air conditioning & heat, microwave, Big TV, Ford Chassis with powerful V-10 Gas Engine, and a 4000 Watt on-board Cummins Generator. EXCELLENT, GREAT, FABULOUS SERVICE MANAGER AT CAMPING WORLD. The Negatives - Furnace control board failed in the first month. Steering / Handling is an absolute HORROR! Had to spend $600 to have a steering stabilizer installed! Front wing boards not sealed, cheap wood and rotted. Vehicle suspension inadequate for the RV, leans dramatically on the driver's side ( slide out, propane tank, generator, kitchen all mounted on the driver side while right side has the sofa and bathroom only (unbalance weight load). Awning lights failed in first year. No Spare Tire or Jack. Formica kitchen and bath tops already peeling off. No stabilizers on the RV (even though they are advertised as standard equipment). TV stopped working 3 months after buying the RV. Generator has 85 hours on it when it was delivered. I have to admit that our dealer's service manager did everything possible to facilitate repairs. Thor's re-action to warranty requests were consistently unreasonably slow according to the dealer, and caused considerable delay in receiving repair authorizations. That said, Thor did authorize rear spring modification to equalize the weight in-balance issue , authorized repairs to the furnace, and wingboard replacement, and reimbursed us for the Television. We traveled 19,000 miles in our first year, visiting 37 States and 3 Canadian Provinces, and enjoyed every minute of our trips. In my opinion, as an entry class, relatively inexpensive RV, the Freedom Elite is a good RV to own. I do believe that Thor should build the 26HE model on a E-450 chassis since the E-350 with the model 26 RV, does not afford adequate weight capacity for cargo and passengers. Additionally , Thor should furnish ALL Rv's with heavy duty steering stabilizers and front and rear sway bars. The customer should not have to figure out why their brand new RV is all over the road, and then spend over $1000 to upgrade the steering and suspension to accommodate the heavy RV body. The selling dealer is at fault for not revealing these issues at point of sale and is creating a dis-service to his customer by this omission. The many, many, bad reviews by customers, could be avoided if the warranty authorization process was streamlined, dealer salespeople were more honest in their presentation, and improved quality control by the manufacturer implemented. I can tell you that I for one, would have no problem paying a reasonably higher price for the RV, if the steering, suspension, and quality issues were all addressed at the factory prior to sale.
- Stephen Cosgriff, Florida

2020-05-11 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24HE View Listings

Absolute horrible craftsmanship and planning. The front seat hits the slide out trim. I am only 5’8” tall! Stupid design. The plumbing runs between the floor and the under carriage. I need to figure out what to take off the bottom of the rig to expose it. Looking at it for a few minutes I see no way to expose the plumbing. The book they give you on this $72,000.00 RV is crap that shows next to no relevant information on this unit. It is a generic book that basically says yes you bought a Thor Piece of Crap. The vinyl trim on the exterior started falling out immediately, I had to duct tape it to drive home. The table was warped the day we bought it. The hot water heater never worked properly. After six months owning it and only 2000 miles the water has low pressure on the cold side and almost no water flow at all in the hot side. Through further investigation the valves on the hot water tank were not correctly set, from the factory. You have to remove the screws to pull the seat apart to expose the by pass valves. The plumbing in the rear hangs so low it drags frequently on normal paved roads. I am confident it will break soon and I will have to try and figure out a better way to route it. I am the original owner. I brought it back to Camping World in Vacaville California and they kept it for 60 days and did nothing. When I started pushing them they said it was ready to pick up. When I went to get it the only thing they fixed (poorly) was they put wood filler in some of the nail holes they missed. Stay away from Thor and stay away from Camping World!
- Dan Marlow, California

2020-02-11 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I purchased my rv in Chattanooga Tn I have had many problems as described in another review but one that has been bugging me every since I purchased it was A water leak in the bed room always water on the floor when I open the slide had checked wit no results after watching I noticed the rain gutter strip is too short and lets all water run in the top corner of slide I found that A tube 5/16 in dia can be slid inside of gutter and will extend it past the slide joint,I just wish there was A rv service that had trained employees or that gave A crap about customers after sales.
- Wayne Marsh, Tennessee

2019-10-29 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 23H View Listings

Was lied to right from the start about every thing. Encouraged me to buy worthless extras worth additional 9 thousand dollars. Lied about the ford warrantied. Every thing you go to Dealer to be fixed they send you to Ford and vise versa. Neither will warrant the work nor fix it. This is the worse investment in fun you will ever buy. Time share may be worth more. Can't sell it as no body would ever buy it. Real piece of crap. Our 's is financed for 12 years but will be long junked in about 3 years. Think twice before wasting your money. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.352-495-3465
- kippersnack01, Florida

2019-10-10 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 26HE View Listings

We love the rv but had lots of trouble with small details the converter caught on fire during the night left us high and dry,just behind the cab the plywood was rotted needs marine grade wood had dealer repair but caulking does not work rear storage all rotted at bottom this is the 2nd Thor I have purchased but I know that it is no use to go to the dealer for repairs I installed L frame around bottom of storage compartment and connected to good wood sewer hose hangers fell down which was screwed into rotten wood I installer proper hangers worried as to how long it will be before the floors are rotted out.Tie wraps hanging down wires under rv hanging which I repaired.I love this rv but the under side is poor and no sign of quality on the under side.
- Wayne Marsh, Tennessee

2019-09-25 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Seems everything Ford made or assembled is good. As for the Third part... a LOT is lacking. In my opinion the layout is very accommodating for my wife and myself. Probably would be fine with a few small kids too. Owned the RV for a few months now... Since purchasing I have had to replace the refrigerator controller, the television, the seal around the slide, one of the vent fan motors. I also had to fix the house battery holding tray. The hold downs were never installed and the batteries would slide backwards into the master circuit breaker effectively killing all power to the house. That was a real factory blunder!! Now I am trying to install solar and a controller onto the prewired roof connector. I contacted Thor to find out where the prewired was inside the coach and was told it is in the panel under the bed. I opened the panel and was very sad to discover the absolutely horrible hack wiring job in my rv. Thor literally delivered a fire hazard to me. My entire wiring inside that panel is nothing short of disgusting. I am unable to use my rv now until I fix that mess and make it safe for my family. Lastly, I stumbled onto this by mistake. I found the gasoline fuel line that feeds the generator literally loose and drooping down much lower than the chassis frame. All it would have taken to snag that line on road debris and pull it off, resulting in raw gasoline being spewed under my coach. No, it did not happen and I made sure that never will but it is another reference to the absolutely horrible quality Thor puts into building their coaches. It would seem to me that with just a few more minutes and a real quality control check, the result would pay significant dividend. Yes, I have contacted Thor customer service a few days back and gave yet to hear from anyone. I am not holding my breath that I ever will. I know it is of little consolation but I am pulling all Thor stickers off my rv. I will not advertise for them - they did not earn that in my mind.
- John Cee, California

2019-08-30 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I have had a terrible experience with this coach and it’s manufacturer. It had a tear in the outer skin upon purchase and was in the shop 3 months for repair. 5 months later it was found not to have been sealed properly by the builder and was full of Black Mold, I could no longer stay in it. That was found March 1st of this year. It is now Aug 30th, I still do not have my coach. I have owned this brand new coach for 13 months and not been able to use it for 8 of those months. So my experience is to tell you do not buy this Coach or any from this manufacturer. After all this time no one is Customer Service will take your call or call you back,or answer emails . This is the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.
- Mary Ellis, Missouri

2019-08-08 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 29FE View Listings

Poor quality poor service, probably factory rejects in the motorhome!!!!! Bad AC Bad refrigerator bad overall a piece of crap to waste money on thru Camping World!!!!!!!!! Cheap materials, especially considering that this motorhome cost over $70,000!
- Melissa Hobbs, Texas

2019-06-17 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite Sprinter View Listings

This Rv drives effortlessly. The Mercedes-Benz engine can handle any steep hills or mountains without effort. Gas mileage averages 14.1 miles per hour on the highway. This RV is great when maneuvering in small areas. The slideout gives the camper an open feeling which makes it easy to move about.
- teri barlow, Nevada

2019-05-27 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

Purchased unit new from national dealer at local rv sales center. Poor overall quality. A/C runoff into living area. Shades/blinds string breaks (two windows, one happened twice). House battery does not hold a charge. Gauges for grey and black tanks never show actual. When empty, they show 3/4 full. LP gauge only shows 3/4 or less. Interior fit and finish haphazard. Back up camera view difficult to make out when backing in shadows. Replaced "queen" bed mattress for comfort reasons. Aexerra radio/cd/carplay unit difficult to adjust. TV in one of the bunk beds went out in first year. Drawers in kitchen under sink and under fridge do not stay closed. Service department at rv dealer has "fixed" the drawers twice and one still does not stay closed. Sliding door between bunk beds and queen bed came open during driving. When it came open, it came off the track. Was repaired three times. Finally service dept put retainer strap to hold it in closed position. Still not totally usable as now will not open all the way to block off the bed area. Owners manual is generic and most info does not apply to the unit. Service dept does not return calls. Had to get corporate involved for the dealer service dept to call me back. Good: Ford makes an excellent drive train.
- Thisuldo, South Carolina

2019-04-29 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

Let's start with the dining area. Most uncomfortable of 3 motorhomes I've owned. Headliner over driver coming down. TV is not a Smart TV, stereo is terrible very tinny sound, more like monotone, first backup camera didnt work, second visual is also terrible. Sealed section on the external are starting to swell. This is barely a year old. Driveability good, mpg 9.5-10 at 65mph. Pilot goes out continuously on water and fridge. Need to fidget with stove so it lights. Luann paneling inside Chips when serviced. Not happy at all.
- John F Hamilton, North Carolina

2019-04-16 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

I purchased this 2018 Thor class c I'm very disappointed when I turn the air conditioner I get all kinds of sawdust all over my bed and thru out the cabin,and after a year it conrinues. I have to tape a garbage bag over the vent when I drive. also there is all kinds of drips from the sealant in the bathroom in the shower dripping down the Walls.the putty in the si k is peeling off. Also there are issues with the blinds, none of them are straight no matter what I do I can't get them to be even.the vents are uneven. The tv is poor and the VCR does not work right . The campers is very noisy .I am very disappointed that the workmanship of this camper is very shoddy for the price that I paid I would never buy this one again.
- Vicki McCaulley , Wisconsin

2019-01-15 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 29FE View Listings

This is a very nice rv. We replaced the mattress. I don't like that the mirrors are not electric. It's a pain to change them for each driver. [Name] was very nice and did a great job. It rides and drives very well. We took it to the East coast, through the mountains, and it handled them very well. We pulled a car on a tow dolly, we did not have any problems with that.
- Carrie Magnusson, Missouri

2018-12-08 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 24FE View Listings

I will start with what is good about this RV. The layout is great. Also the price point to get into a Mercedes diesel was our real attraction to this product. Now the bad and there's a lot. First trip transmission stopped working because someone in the thor factory had sliced through a wiring harness during the conversion. Lost two days of our trip and had to pay for repair upfront then fight with Thor to get reimbursed. We did two months later. Now at the 8 month mark the roof is leaking and dealership says we need complete reseal $1500 and not under warranty. I have never owned anything with such poor workmanship and lack of coverage for defects. Will never buy this brand again and plan to sell this one as soon as repairs are made. Good luck to the new owners.
- Michlele L Shabany, Missouri

2018-10-09 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE View Listings

I bought this RV from [Dealer], Georgetown Ky, new. When I got it home and let out the slides on a rainy day I noticed water coming in in the bedroom, the electrical outlets worked on the left side but not the right side, craftsmanship inside of the coach is really unsatisfactory, staples are exposed all over, large spaces in jointing wood work are so very visible, staples were used to pin stickers on the vinyl and when they removed the stickers left visible holes, shower retractable curtain falls apart with rods breaking and falling on the floor, some drawers do not have the locks on them and when driving come open, dinette booth is flimsy back keeps moving.
- Eugene Collett, Kentucky

2018-06-24 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

We have only owned our 2018 Thor 22fe for about 6 months. To date we have had the radio/back up camera go out twice. The water heater quit heating water, 2 drawers have fallen off in my hand with nothing in them, the dinette table and mount had to be replaced and the right side bench for the dinette had to be squared up so the table could be made into a bed without breaking. The tires were very under inflated at the time of delivery (50 lbs). There was a leak in the water line under the bathroom faucet. There have been many squeaks and rattles we have dealt with as well. Overall quality of materials and attention to quality overall are very lacking. Very pleased with the (Ford) part of the unit. Good power and gas mileage.
- Gerry Riffle, North Carolina

2017-12-12 2018 Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 22FE View Listings

We purchased out first motorhome Sept2017 and the workmanship on our Freedom Elite is appalling - list as follows: 1) bathroom corner vanity has 1/2" gap at wall; 2)closet opening appears to have been cut out by a kid with a jigsaw and no pattern; 3)lights and speakers above bed headboard installed at random by same kid; 4}kitchen hot/cold water reversed; 5)roof vent jammed into housing at odd angle; 6)wiring to generator under vehicle not sealed with grommet allowing water to enter generator electrical control box. AND on our first trip, hot water heater quit working. Avoid THOR if your at looking.
- Arne Melson, Texas